Over 150 Festchriften
and Related Titles
Welcome to our latest catalog, an illustrated collection of over 150 Festschriften and Related Titles from the past hundred years.
We encourage you to also search our online inventory of over 8000 titles in Jewish & Holocuast Studies we have listed on line at www.DanWymanBooks.com. You’ll also find interesting and unusual titles in related and overlapping fields in our recent catalogs, all online at www.DanWymanBooks.com
As always, every item is offered subject to
prior sale and is 100% returnable for any reason. Domestic shipping is
generally $5.00 for the first item and $1.00 for each additional item.
International shipments are at cost, generally $12.00 for smaller-size items
and $25.00 for larger size items.
All prices are in US Dollars. We prefer payment by credit card, but also accept checks in US funds or www.paypal.com. We will also gladly invoice your institution. Please do not order via fax at this time.
And feel free to forward this list to other
colleagues who may be interested.
Special thanks to Chris Sheehan for his outstanding work on this catalog.
We look forward to hearing from you and to
helping you build your collection
1. (Abrahams, Israel) Kohut, George Alexander, editor. STUDIES AND ESSAYS IN HONOR OF ABRAHAM A. NEUMAN. Philadelphia, E. J. Brill, 1962. 1st Edition. Cloth, Large 8vo, 650 pages. Abraham A. Neuman was President of Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning in Philadelphia. Contents include: The Oral Traditions of Pre-Crusade Ashkenazic Jewry (by Irving Argus) ; Medieval Nationalism and Jewish Serfdom (by Salo W. Baron) ; The Growth and Progress of Modern Hebrew (by William Chomsky) ; Jewish Participants in the Polish Insurrection of 1863 (by Abraham Duker) ; The Story of Ascama I of the Spanish and Portuguese Jewish Congregation of London with Special Reference to Responsa Material (by Isidore Epstein) ; Home Rituals and the Spanish Synagogue (by Solomon B. Freehof) ; The Papal Bull Sicut Judeis (by Solomon Grayzel) ; The Ordinary Jew in the Middle Ages (by Cecil Roth) ; The Colonial Jewish Peddlar (by Maxwell Whiteman); etc. Abraham Katsh's copy with bookplate. Small circle on bottom of front cover. Wear to edges of cover and binding. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-3) (ID #21391) $125.00.
2. MENORAH JOURNAL: VALEDICTORY ISSUE, VOL. XLIX, NO. 1,2. FINAL ISSUE.. New York: Menorah Association. , 1962. Cloth. , 4to. 162 pages. SUBJECT (S) : Chagall, Marc. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Gratz College, Southern Methodist Univ). Very good condition. (MX-2-4) (ID #19281) $30.00.
3. (Bloch, Jushua) . Berger, Abraham, Lawrence Marwick and Isidore S. Meyer. editors. THE JOSHUA BLOCH MEMORIAL VOLUME: STUDIES IN BOOKLORE AND HISTORY. New York, New York Public Library, 1960. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xix, 219 pages. Port. 25 cm. Includes 36-page bibliography of Bloch's publications, plus a 3-page index to that bibliography. “Bloch (1890–1957) was a U. S. Librarian, bibliographer, and reform rabbi. As head of the Jewish Division of the New York Public Library from 1923 to 1956 the library developed one of the major collections of Judaica in the United States. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: “Foreword, ” by the editors; “Joshua Bloch, an appreciation, ” by A. L. Lebeson; “Books and booklore: Two bookmen, ” by H. M. Lydenberg; “The new ornament of Jewish books, ” by J. Reider; “Medieval Hebrew manuscripts as bindings in the libraries and archives of Hungary, ” by A. Scheiber; “Elias Hutter's Hebrew Bible, ” by H. C. Zafren; “Biblical studies: Kinnor, nebel, cithärä, psalterium, ” by O. Kinkeldey; “Hebrew and Greek sense of tragedy, ” by R. H. Pfeiffer; “Rabbinics: Pharisaisms, a definition, ” by S. S. Cohon; “The terms yoshbei kranoth and am-haaretz, ” by C. W. Reines; “Language and folklore: A chapter on old West Semitic othography, ” by M. Tsevat; “The terms muhdath and hadath as descriptions of the Koran, ” by H. A. Wolfson; “Notes on some parallels to the ballad of The king's dochter Lady Jean, ” by D. De Sola Pool; “A Judaeo-Greek lament, ” by B. Schwartz. A Samaritan poem about Moses, ” by T. H. Gaster; “History: The Valenzin affair, ” by J. R. Marcus; “Cochin and some prominent Jewish personalities, ” by W. J. Fischel; “Prince Czartoryski, the émigré, on the Jewish problem, ” by A. G. Duker; “A bibliography of the writings of Joshua Bloch, ” by D. Steinglass. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Jews -- History. Printing, Hebrew. Jodendom. Joodse boeken. Joodse literatuur. Bloch, Joshua, 1890-1957. Very good condition. (FEST1-57) (ID #27295) $30.00.
5A. Ginzberg, Louis; Solomon Schechter. . GINZE SHEKHTER (GENIZAH STUDIES IN THE MEMORY OF DOCTOR SOLOMON SCHECHTER). VOLUME 1 (OF 3) ONLY.. New York : Jtsa. , 1928. Cloth. , 8vo. 549, xvii pages. First edition. Volume 1 (of 3) only. In Hebrew with English introduction. SUBJECT(S) : (880-02) Cairo Genizah; Midrash; Geonic literature; Hebrew poetry. Schechter (1847-1915) , born in Rumania, was president of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. Before that he taught in England at Cambridge University and University College, London. “His fame rests on the scholarly recovery of the Cairo Genizah. It created a sensation in the world of scholarship, and in its wake Jewish history and the history of Mediterranean society were and are being rewritten. Over one hundred thousand manuscripts and manuscript fragments were brought to England and presented to Cambridge University by Schechter and Charles Taylor, the master of St. John's College who had made Schechter's trip possible. ” He became president of the JTSA in 1902, and held that position for the rest of his life; he was also an early Conservative leader. (EJ, Ben-Horin) Slightly edgeworn, very good condition. (MX-11-22) (ID #19253) $50.00.
5B. Ginzberg, Louis; Solomon Schechter. . GINZE SHEKHTER (GENIZAH STUDIES IN THE MEMORY OF DOCTOR SOLOMON SCHECHTER) . Vol II only (of 3). New York, JTSA, 1929. . Cloth. , 8vo. 640, xv, pages. The Scarce First edition. In Hebrew with English introduction. SUBJECT (S) : (880-02) Cairo Genizah; Midrash; Geonic literature; Hebrew poetry. CONTENTS: Sefer 2. Keta`im me-kitve ha ge'onim / me'et Levi ben Yitshak Gintsburg. Schechter (1847-1915) , born in Rumania, was president of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. Before that he taught in England at Cambridge University and University College, London. “His fame rests on the scholarly recovery of the Cairo Genizah. It created a sensation in the world of scholarship, and in its wake Jewish history and the history of Mediterranean society were and are being rewritten. Over one hundred thousand manuscripts and manuscript fragments were brought to England and presented to Cambridge University by Schechter and Charles Taylor, the master of St. John's College who had made Schechter's trip possible. ” He became president of the JTSA in 1902, and held that position for the rest of his life; he was also an early Conservative leader. (EJ, Ben-Horin) Some bumping to covers and wear along spine, but still nice. Very good condition. (FEST1-109).xx (ID #27345) 50.00.
5C. Volume 3 (ONLY) of the previous title. Slightly edgeworn, very good condition. (MX-11-22a) (ID #27375) $50.00.
6. (Kohut, George A.) Ed. by S.W. Baron and A. Marx.. JEWISH STUDIES IN MEMORY OF GEORGE A. KOHUT (1874-1933). New York, Alexander Kohut Memorial Foundation: 1935. Original Publisher's Cloth. xciii, 614,148 pages including bibliography and portrait. Includes Hebrew section. From the contents: Elkan N. Adler: Talmud Incunables of Spain and Portugal; S. Gandz: Oral tradition in the Bible; M. Gaster, The Maassehbuch and the Brantspiegel; B. Heller: Gog und Magog im jüd. Schrifttum, I. Husik, Averroes on the metaphyscis of Aristotle and many other learned essays. Wear on binding. Slight staining to cover. Hinge and binding repair. Page 4 not attached to binding. Otherwise, good condition. (k-rab-3-25).xx (ID #21319) $125.00.
6a. Same title in paper wrappers with front hinge repaired. Very good condition. (k-rab-3-25a). (ID #27383) $100.00.
7. Berliner, A[Braham]. edited by A. Freimann and M. Hildesheimer. . FESTSCHRIFT ZUM SIEBZIGSTEN GEBURTSTAGE A. BERLINER'S: GEWIDMET VON FREUNDEN UND SCHÜLERN. Cloth; 8vo. Xxxi, 376, 130 pages. In German and Hebrew. reprint of 1903 original. New Condition. (k-MX 2-12) $135.00.
8. (CCAR) Korn, Bertram Wallace, Ed. . RETROSPECT AND PROSPECT: ESSAYS IN COMMEMORATION OF THE SEVENTY -FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FOUNDING OF THE CENTRAL CONFERENCE OF AMERICAN RABBIS 1889-1964. . New York, CCAR, 1965. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo, 272 pages. 10 essays on the history of the Conference and related topics. (k-amr-20-26-dw) Minimal institutional markings, Very Good in Good jacket. (FEST1-112) (ID #27371) $30.00.
9. (Kaplan, Mordecai M.) Davis, Moshe. . MORDECAI M. KAPLAN: JUBILEE VOLUME ON THE OCCASION OF HIS SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY. ENGLISH SECTION.. . New York, Jewish Theological Seminary of America, 1953. Cloth, 8vo, ix, 549 pages. Includes portrait. 24 cm. Published simultaneously with the Hebrew section. Includes bibliographical references. Articles include: "World Religion and national Religion, " by Leo Baeck; "Bibliography of the Writings of Professor Mordecai M. Kaplan, " by Gerson D. Cohen; "The Teacher in Talmud and Midrash, " by Max Arzt; "Church and state Debates in the Jewish Community of 1848, " by Salo W. Baron; "The Kehillah of New York, 1908-1922, " by Norman Bentwich; "'Outside Books, '" by Joshua Bloch; "Letter and Spirit in Jewish and Roman Law, " by Boaz Cohen; "Kaufman Kohler and Roman Law, " by Smuel S. Cohon; "Osrael Friedlaender's Minute Book of Achavah Club (1909-1912) , " by Moshe Davis; "Prophecy, Wisdom, and Apocalypse, " by Israel Efros; "Judaism as a System of Symbols, " by Louis Finkelstein; "Gleaning in First Isaiah, " by H. L. Ginsberg; "Deuteronomy 23: 8, 9, " by Nelson Glueck; "The First Chapter of Abot de Rabbi Nathan, " by Judah Goldin; "The Song of Songs, " by Robert Gordis; "The Multiplication of the Mitzvot, " by Simon Greenberg; "A Contra Christianos by a Marrano, " by A. S. Halkin; "The Role of Memory in Biblical History, " by Leo L. Honor; "Freedom and Authority, " by H. M. Kallen; "Defining Jewish Art, " by Stephen S. Kayser; "Educational Abuses and Reforms in hanoverian England, " by Cecil Roth; "Yidishkayt and Yiddish, " by Max Weinreich; "Maimonides and Gersonides on Divine Attributes as Ambiguous Terms, " by H. A. Wolfson; & "Sociological Analysis of Israel, " by Benjamin Wolfman. LCCN: 53-7712 SUBJECT: Judaism. Kaplan, Mordecai Menahem, 1881- Very good condition. (Comhist-14-31) (ID #13293) $30.00.
10. (Kaplan, Mordecai M.) Davis, Moshe. . SEFER HA-YOVEL LE-KHVOD MORDEKHAI MENAHEM KAPLAN LE-M'LAT LO SHIVIM SHANAH. HELEK IVRI.. . New York, Jewish Theological Seminary, 1953. Cloth, 8vo, x, 287 pages. Includes portrait. 24 cm. Published simultaneously with the English section. Includes 17 essays in Hebrew, including (titles translated) : "Philosophy and Religion, " by Samuel Hugo Bergman; "The Human Path, " by Martin Buber; "The Story of Hannah and Her Seven Sons in Hebrew Literature, " by Gerson D. Cohen; "Novellae of Solomon ibn-Ardret to the Tractate of Megillah, " by Zalman Dimitrovsky; "Teaching of Patriotism, " by Ben Zion Dinur (Dinaburg) ; "Jewish Communal Life in Yemen, " by Shelomo Dov Goitein; "Why Was Jeremiah Ignored in the Book of Kings? , " by Joseph Klausner; "Peskit de Rav Kahana, Shekalim, " by Bernard Mandelbaum; "On Maimonides' Ethics, " by Simon Rawidowicz; "Mendelssohn's Political Ideas, " by Nathan Rotenstreich; "How to Approach the Study of the Bible, " by Joseph Schaechter; "At the Crossroads (Jewish Education in the 20th Century) , " by Zevi Scharfstein; "Philanthropinism and Jewish Education, " by Ernst Simon; "The Problem of Bi-Culturalism and its Relation to Contemporary Jewry, " by Arieh Tartakower; "Language and Phraseology in the Tractate of Aboth d'Rabbi Nathan, " by N. H. Tur-Sinai; & "In Monte Dominus Videbitur: The Martyrs of Blois and the Early Accusations of Ritual Murder, " by Shalom Spiegel. SUBJECT: Judaism. Named Person: Kaplan, Mordecai Menahem, 1881- Near Fine Condition. (ID #13294) $30.00.
11. [Cohen, Hermann] Elbogen I. & Kellermann B. & Mittwoch E. (Eds.). JUDAICA: FESTSCHRIFT ZU HERMANN COHENS SIEBZIGSTEM GEBURTSTAGE.. Berlin, B. Cassirer, 1912. . Later Cloth. 8vo. viii, 721 pages. 25 cm. In German with some Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- History. Jewish philosophy. Judaïsme -- Histoire. Philosophie juive. Named Person: Cohen, Hermann, 1842-1918. Spine rebacked, edgewear to boards, Good Condition. (FEST1-116) (ID #27376) 150.00.
11a. Another Copy. Leo & Moses' Jung's copy, with their extensive margin notes, names, bookplate (Moses Jung), etc. Leo Jung was "one of the best-known spokesmen of neo-Orthodoxy in America." He was a board member of the Joint from 1928 on, appointed chair of the New York State Advisory Board for Kashrut Law Enforcement in 1935. "Jung was at one time identified with the Agudath Israel organziation, and was a member of it ssupreme council until 1929. He withdrew on account of its refusal to cooperate in the Jewish Agency for Palestine, of whose first counciel he became a member….Jung started the Jewish Library in 1928….His brother Moses (1891-1960) was….a prolific writer…[who] published several books on Jewish law, history, and education." (EJ, 1971, 10:471-2). Spine rebacked with edgewear to boards. Good Condition. (ID #16074) $150.00.
12. [Various]. HILPRECHT ANNIVERSARY VOLUME STUDIES IN ASSYRIOLOGY AND ARCHAEOLOGY, DEDICATED TO HERMANN V. HILPRECHT UPON THE TWENTY-FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF HIS DOCTORATE AND HIS FIFTIETH BIRTHDAY (JULY 28) BY HIS COLLEAGUES, FRIENDS AND ADMIRERS. Leipzig, Hinrichs`sche, 1909. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 4to. Xiv, 457 pages. 25 cm. Contains articles in English, German and French. With gilt lettering on front and spine. Includes numerous photographs, illustrations, schematics, maps, and even drawings of ancient tablets, most of which are arranged at the end of the book, many also within text. SUBJECT (S) : Assyriology. Semitic languages. Hilprecht, H. V. (Hermann Vollrat) 1859-1925. Geographic: Babylonia -- Antiquities. Boards slightly bowed. Overall, very good condition. (FEST1-8) (ID #27245) $85.00.
13. Abramsky, Yehezkel. קובץ זכרון כנסת ישראל : לתורה ולמוסר : לזכרו של יחזקאל אברמסקי KOVETS ZIKARON KENESET YISRAEL LE-TORAH U-MUSAR: LE-ZIKHRO SHEL RABENU ... R. YEHEZKEL ABRAMSKI. Bene Berak, Yeshivat Keneset Yisrael Slobodakh, 1976. Original Publisher’s Cloth.. 8vo. 301 pages. 25 cm. In Hebrew. Title translates to English as, “In Memory of the Israel Knesset: Torah and Morality: In memory of Ezekiel Abramsky. ” Abramsky (1886–1976) was a Lithuanian-born talmudic scholar who, with S. J. Zevin, published Yagdil Torah, a periodical dedicated to strengthening Torah study in the unfavorable conditions of the Soviet Union. It was probably the last Jewish religious periodical published in the Soviet Union for nearly 60 years. In 1955 he was awarded the Israel Prize. In Israel he was recognized as a rabbi of great stature, and his funeral in Jerusalem was attended by an estimated 40, 000 mourners. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Jewish law. Responsa. Abramsky, Yehezkel, 1886-1976. Talmud -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (Touro College, Boston University, University of Washington Library). Very good condition. (FEST1-106) (ID #27342) $100.00.
14. Adler, Dr. C. . MEMORIAL MEETING (IN MEMORIAM) ISRAEL FRIEDLAENDER, BERNARD CANTOR, WHOSE LIVES WERE SACRIFICED JULY 5, 1920, IN THE CAUSE OF ISRAEL AND IN THE SERVICE OF HUMANITY. New York, American Funds For Jewish War Sufferers, Joint, 1920. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 7-100 pages, ports. 24 cm. Friedlaender (1876–1920) was a scholar, Zionist and community activist. On July 10, 1920 he and Bernard Cantor (1892–1920) , a U. S. Reform rabbi, were murdered by Soviet troops in Kiev, Ukraine while volunteers on a Joint Distribution Committee relief programs for Jewish victims of post-World War I antisemitism in Eastern Europe. SUBJECT(S) : Named Persons: Friedlaender, Israel, 1876-1920. Cantor, Bernard, 1892-1920. Carnegie Hall, New York City, Thursday evening September 9, 1920. Previous owner’s name on FEP. Very good condition. (FEST1-32) (ID #27270) $75.00.
15. (Alexander, Kurt). ZUM GEDENKEN AN KURT ALEXANDER : 13. AUGUST 1892-18. FEBRUAR 1962.. New York : Wallenberg & Wallenberg. , 1967. . Paper wrappers. , 8vo. 46 pages. In German. First edition. Jekke refugee. SUBJECT (S) : Alexander, Kurt, 1892-1962. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Hebrew Union College). Spine faded, very good condition. Scarce. (GER-17-8) (ID #20311) $40.00.
16. Altmann, Alexander editor. BETWEEN EAST AND WEST ESSAYS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF BELA HOROVITZ. London, East And West Library, 1958. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 214 pages. Contents Includes: Martin Buber: “Hasidism & Modern Man”; Samuel Bergman: “Hermann Cohen”; Nahum Glatzer: “Franz Kafka & the Tree of Knowledge”; Leon Simon: “Ahad Ha-Am & the Future of the Diaspora”; Norman Bentwich: “Hebrew University-A Link between East & West”; N. Wieder: “Dead Sea Scrolls Type of Biblical Exegesis”; S. M. Stern: “An Unpublished Poem by Abraham Ibn Ezra”; Joseph Heller: “Maimonides' Theory of Miracle”; J. L. Teicher: “An Unidentified Hebrew Incunable”; Kurt Wilhelm: “An Early 19th Century Frankfurt Benevolent Society”; David Patterson: “Moses Mendelssohn's Concept of Tolerance”; Alex Bien: “Modern Anti-Semitism & its Place in the History of the Jewish Question”; Alexander Altmann: “Franz Rosenzweig on History. ” Bookplate on inside cover. Very good condition. (FEST1-10) (ID #27247) $30.00.
17. (Ginzberg) American Academy For Jewish Research. SEFER HA-YOVEL LI-KHEVOD LEVI GINTSBURG: LI-MELOT LO SHIV’IM SHANAH. New York: Ha-Akademyah Ha-Amerikanit Le-Mada’e Ha-Yahadut, 1946. . Hardcover, 8vo, ix, 446 pages, 24 cm. In Hebrew. Hebrew volume of the Festschrift for Louis Ginzberg (an English volume was also published). SUBJECT(S) : Jewish literature. Ginzberg, Louis. Published simultaneously with the English section. Other Titles: Louis Ginzberg; jubilee volume: Hebrew section. OCLC lists 12 copies worldwide. Ex-library with usual markings. Light wear. Wear to cover binding. Bumped corners. Otherwise, very good condition. (Rab-40-7) (ID #24647) $95.00.
18. Appel, Gersion. editor. ספר זכרון לשמואל קלמן מירסקי : מחקרים בהלכה ובאגדה, בספרות הדורות ובמחשבת ישראל SEFER ZIKARON LI-SHELOMOH KALMAN MIRSKI: MEHKARIM BE-HALAKHAH UVE-AGADAH, BE-SIFRUT HA-DOROT UVE-VAHASHEVET YISRAEL. = SAMUEL K. MIRSKY MEMORIAL VOLUME; STUDIES IN JEWISH LAW, PHILOSOPHY, AND LITERATURE.. Jerusalem, “sura” Insitute For Research; New York, Yeshiva University, 1970. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 285, 316 pages. Port. 24 cm. In English and Hebrew. “Mirsky (1899–1967) was a Russian-born rabbinic scholar, religious Zionist, and Hebraist. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Rabbinical literature. Judaism -- History -- Modern period, 1750 - , Mirsky, Samuel Kalman, 1899-1967. Includes Mirsky bibliography: pages 309-316. Very good condition. (FEST1-58). Xx (ID #27296) $30.00.
19. Aquilecchia, Giovanni, Stephen Cristea & Sheila Ralphs. editors. COLLECTED ESSAYS ON ITALIAN LANGUAGE & LITERATURE PRESENTED TO KATHLEEN SPEIGHT. Manchester, Manchester University Press, 1971. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xiv, 344 pages. Plates, ill. Port. 23 cm. In English and Italian. CONTENTS: Strutture romanzesche, strutture novellistiche e funzioni; Cesare Segre – “Passages form the Divine comedy in a fourteenth-century Hebrew manuscript”; Alan Freedman – “The identity of Dante's Matelda”; M. F. M. Meikle john –“Four love-letters attributed to Alberti”; Cecil Grayson – “Ma quandoe nato Iacobo Sannazaro? ”; Maria Corti – “Appunti sui capitoli di Machiavelli”; Carlo Dionisotti –“La favola Mandragola si chiama”; Giovanni Aquilecchia – “The poetry of Michelangelo”; J. H. Whitfield –“The two 'Neopolitan' editions of Ortensio Lando's Forciana equaestiones”; Conor Faby – “Galileo and the crisis in Italian literature of the early Seicento”; Peter Armour – “Goldoni: a view from the pit”; Felicity M. Firth – “La traduzione foscoliana dei Discorsi nel Parlamento in morte de Francesco Horner”; Uberto Limentani – “Foscolo's articles on Dante in the Edinburgh Review: astudy in collaboration”; Beatrice Corrigan – “The fortunes of Goethe's Die Leiden des jungen Werthers in Italy”; Stephen N. Cristea – “The Italian exiles in Britain in the early nineteenth century: a survey of their writings”; C. P. Brand – “The yeast of Mazzini”; T. Gwyn for Griffith – “Primi contributi inglesi alla critica verghiana”; Paola de Angeli – “Impressioni inglesi di Italo Svevo”; Paola Seganti. SUBJECT (S) : Italian literature -- History and criticism. Critical studies. Festschriften. Includes bibliographical references. (FEST1-17) (ID #27255) $30.00.
20. Assaf, Simha and Yehuda Even Shmuel and Yehuda Leib Avida and Rabbi Binyamin. editors. MINHAH LI-YEHUDAH: MUGASH LE-HARAV J. L. ZLOTNICK: LEYOVLO HASHISHIM MAYET HAVERAV VEYEDIDAV. Jerusalem, M. H. Kook, 1950. Original Publisher’s Cloth. Xxxv, 295 pages. Facsims. In Hebrew. Title translates to English as, “On the occasion of the 60th birthday of Judah Leib Zlotnick. ” Twenty-five articles by various authors. “Zlotnick (1887–1962) was a Russian-born communal worker, rabbi, and writer. During World War I he was held hostage by the local Russian commander against possible spy activities by members of his community. He was a founder and general secretary of Mizrachi in Poland until 1920. His wide-ranging personality is reflected not only by the breadth of his activities in Zionism, education, and religion but also by his prolific literary activities in Hebrew, Yiddish, and English as a Zionist publicist, philologist, folklorist, and ethnologist. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Jews. Includes bibliographical footnotes. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (Monash University Library, McMaster University, McGill University). Very good condition. (FEST1-104) (ID #27340) $30.00.
21. Baeck, Leo. ESSAYS PRESENTED TO LEO BAECK ON THE OCCASION OF HIS 80TH. BIRTHDAY. London, East And West Library, 1954. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xii, 211 pages with portrait and 2 folded plates. 23 cm. In German and English. Contributions by Norman Bentwich, Martin Buber, Albert Einstein, A. J. Heschel, Thomas Mann and Gershom Scholem. “Baeck (1873–1956) was a German rabbi, religious thinker and leader of Progressive Judaism. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: Leo Baeck, by B. Italiener -- Transcendence and immanence of God, by N. Arseniev -- Solomon Schechter and Ahad Ha'am, by N. Bentwich -- Samuel und die Lade, by M. Buber -- Neun Aphorismen, by A. Einstein -- A preface to the understanding of revelation, by A. J. Heschel -- Die Auffassung der Persönlichkeit Jesu, by K. Jaspers -- Zwei durch Humanisten besorgte, dem Pabst gewidmete Ausgabe der hebräischen Bibel, by P. Kahle -- Wissenschaft des Judentums und Historismus bei Abraham Geiger, by H. Liebeschütz -- Fragmente, by T. Mann -- The philosopher in society, by J. Maritain -- The universalism of Amos, by J. Morgenstern -- Heineund die Romantik, by E. Simon -- Zur Geschichte der Anfänge derchristlichen Kabala, by G. Scholem -- Die Vorstellung vom Juden und vom Judentum in der Ideologie der Refomationszeit, by S. Stern-Taeubler. Very good condition. (FEST1-3).xx (ID #27240) $30.00.
22. Baerwald, Leo and Ludwig Feuchtwanger. FESTGABE, 50 JAHRE HAUPTSYNAGOGE MÜNCHEN, 1887-1937. Munich, [Israelitische Kultusgemeinde München], 1937. Original Paper Wrappers. 8vo. 78 pages. Ill. 21 cm. In German. Published in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the original Munich Haupt Synagogue, which was destroyed by the Nazis the next year in 1938. SUBJECT (S) : Jews -- Germany -- Munich. Hauptsynagoge (Munich). Corp Authors: Israelitische Kultusgemeinde München, Hauptsynagoge (Munich). Minor chipping to edges of wrapper with small loss of paper in bottom right corner. Overall, very good condition. (FEST1-21) (ID #27259) $95.00.
23. Barocas, David N. , Angel, Marc. . STUDIES IN SEPHARDIC CULTURE: THE DAVID N. BAROCAS MEMORIAL VOLUME. New York: Sepher-Hermon Press For The Foundation For The Advancement Of Sephardic Studies And Culture And Sephardic House At Congregation Shearith Israel, 1980. . Hardcover, 8vo, 178 pages, 24 cm. Contents: Levy, L. N. Foreword. --Angel, M. D. David Barocas, the man and his ideas. --Kaplan, A. Mr. Barocas and the Me'am Lo'ez. --Besso, H. V. Judeo-Spanish proverbs. --Romey, D. And Angel, M. D. The ubiquitous Sephardic proverb. --Papo, J. M. The Sephardic Jewish community of New York. --Halio-Torres, J. Writing the Spanish-Jewish dialect. --Maimon, S. Ladino-English dictionary. SUBJECT (S) : Descriptor: Ladino language -- Dictionaries -- English. Proverbs, Ladino -- Bibliography. Sephardim -- New York (State) -- New York. “Bibliography of Judeo-Spanish proverbs”: pages. 25-55. Angel, (1945–) , is a “U. S. Sephardi rabbinical leader and scholar. Angel was born in Seattle, Wasington, the son of Sephardi immigrants from Rhodes and Tekirdag, Turkey, and nephew of veteran Sephardi rabbi Solomon Maimon. Angel wrote about 20 books on Sephardi history, tradition, and customs; mourning; rabbinic thought; and ethics, and many scholarly and popular articles. He won the 1988 National Jewish Book Award in the category of Jewish thought. His doctorate on the history of the Jews of Rhodes was a pioneering study in the field. Angel received the National Rabbinic Leadership Award of the Orthodox Union, the Bernard Revel Award of Yeshiva University for Religion and Religious Education, and the Finkle Prize of the New York Board of Rabbis” (Kerem in EJ 2007). Light wear to binding. Very good condition. (Sef-15-9) (ID #25405) $30.00.
24. Beinart. יהודים באיטליה : מחקרים : יוצאים לאור במלאת מאה שנה להולדתו של מ״ד קאסוטו YEHUDIM BE-ITALYAH: MEHKARIM : YOTSIM LE-OR BI-MELOT MEAH SHANAH LE-HULADTO SHEL M.D. KASUTO. Jerusalem, Magnes Press, Hebrew University, 1988. Original Publisher’s Cloth.. 8vo. 288, 102 pages.  pages of plates. Ill. Facsim. Port. 25 cm. In Hebrew, English and Italian. Title translates to English as, “Jews in Italy: Studies Dedicated to the Memory of U. Cassuto on the 100th Anniversary of his Birth. ” Series: “Sidrat sefarim mi-yesodo shel S. Sh. Peri. ” “Cassuto (1883–1951) was an Italian historian and biblical and Semitic scholar. His son and daughter-in-law were deported to Auschwitz in 1943, where they were murdered. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Jews -- Italy -- History. Judaism -- Italy -- Sicily -- Liturgy. Joden. Named Person: Cassuto, Umberto, 1883-1951. Italy, Ethnic relations. Italië. Includes bibliographical references. ISBN: 9652236233. Very good condition. (FEST1-38) (ID #27276) $30.00.
25. Belkin, Samuel. editors. ספר היובל לכבוד הרב ד״ר אברהם וויי : כאות הערצה בעד תרומתו הכבירה, אנו מגישים לו קובץ מחקרים מחבריו ותלמידיו THE ABRAHAM WEISS JUBILEE VOLUME: STUDIES IN HIS HONOR PRESENTED BY HIS COLLEAGUES AND DISCIPLES ON THE OCCASION OF HIS COMPLETING FOUR DECADES OF PIONEERING SCHOLARSHIP. New York, Abraham Weiss Jubilee Committee, 1964. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 168, 633 pages. Ports. 24 cm. In English and Hebrew. Contributions by Samuel Belkin, Meyer Feldblum, Chanock Albeck, Abraham Herschel and many others. With bibliography of his writings. Weiss (1895–1970) was an East European Talmudic scholar who was also active in the World Zionist Organization for many years. SUBJECT(S) : Weiss, Abraham, 1895-1970. Talmud. Includes bibliographical references [pages 5-15 (Hebrew section) ]. Added Hebrew Title Page: “Sefer yoval le-khvod ha-Rav Dr. Avraham Vais: ke-ot ha`aratsah be-`ad terumato ha-kabirah, anu magishim lo kovets mehkarim mehaverav ve-talmidav. ” Includes bibliographical references. Gilted edges. Very good condition. (FEST1-40). (ID #27278) $50.00.
26. Benayahu, Meir. editor. ספר היובל לשניאור זלמן שזר : מחקרים ומקורות לתולדות התנועה השבתאית SEFER HA-YOVEL LI-SHNEUR ZALMAN SHAZAR: MEHKARIM U-MEKOROT LE-TOLDOT HA-TENU`AH HA-SHABETAIT. Jerusalem, Mekhon Ben-Tsevi, Ha Universitah Ha-‘ivrit, 1960. ) Original Publishger’s Cloth. 567, 22 pages.  pages of plates. Ill. Port. 25 cm. In Hebrew with English summaries. Series: “Mehkarim u-mekorot shel Mekhon Ben-Tsevi. ” “Zalman (1889–1974) was the third president of the State of Israel, a scholar, writer and member of the First to Third Knessets. Shazar played a pioneering role in introducing modern Bible criticism in the Hebrew language. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Sabbathaians. Shazar, Zalman, 1889-1974. Identical with Sefunot, vol. 3-4 (1960). Includes bibliographical references and index. Very good condition. (FEST1-75) (ID #27312) $100.00.
27. Bentwich, Norman. editor. HEBREW UNIVERSITY GARLAND: A SILVER JUBILEE SYMPOSIUM. London, Constellation Books, 1952. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Ix, 133 pages. 22 cm. CONTENTS: “The limitations of political science, ” by Viscount Samuel; “The psychological root of the law, ” by L. Baeck; “Jewish slavery and emancipation, ” by I. Berlin; “Twenty-five years of archæology, ” by E. L. Sukenik; “The expansion of the Hebrew language, ” by Sir. L. Simon; “Philosophy at the University and the Jewish mind, ” by L. Roth; “The study of classics in the Hebrew University of Jerusalm, ” by C. Wirszubski. -On teaching history in Jerusalem, ” by R. Koebner; “Teaching of English in Israel, ” by A. A. Mendilow; “Oriental studies in Israel, ” by S. D. Goitein; “Science in Israel and the National Research Council, ” by S. Sambursky; “Development of the Hebrew University, ” by S. Brodetsky; “The Friends of the Hebrew University, 1926-1951, ” by N. Bentwich. SUBJECT (S) : Universitah ha-`ivrit bi-Yerushalayim. Universitah ha-`Ivrit bi-Yerushalayim -- History. Boards slightly bowed. Very good condition. (FEST1-29) (ID #27267) $30.00.
Charles. compiler. HEBREW PRINTING AND BIBLIOGRAPHY. STUDIES BY JOSHUA
BLOCH AND OTHERS, REPRINTED FROM THE PUBLICATIONS OF THE NEW YORK PUBLIC
LIBRARY ON THE OCCASION OF THE SEVENTY-FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ESTABLISHMENT
OF THE JEWISH DIVISION OF THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY. New York, New York Public Library And Ktav Publishing House, 1976. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 4to. Xi, 518 pages. Illus. 26 cm. “Bloch (1890–1957) was a U. S. Librarian, bibliographer, and reform rabbi. As head of the Jewish Division of the New York Public Library from 1923 to 1956 the library developed one of the major collections of Judaica in the United States. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Printing, Hebrew. Jews -- United States -- Bibliography. Printing -- History -- Gazetteers. New York Public Library. Jewish Division. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition. (FEST1-28) (ID #27266) $70.00.
30. Blau, Joseph L. editor.. ESSAYS ON JEWISH LIFE AND THOUGHT: PRESENTED IN HONOR OF SALO WITTMAYER BARON. New York, Columbia University Press, 1959. Original Publisher’s Cloth. Small 4to. Xxx, 458 p. Port. 25 cm. The volume contains 26 essays and a bibliography of Professor Baron's writings (pages [xv]-xxx). Essays cover an array of subjects – from the Babylonian Academies and Maimonides theology to the cloak makers’ strike of 1910 to Jewish immigrants in London in the 1880's. Also covered are the Nazi regimes in Germany, Austria and Czechoslovakia and more. Includes bibliographical footnotes. Spine tanned; inscription from previous owner on title page. Overall, very good condition. (FEST1-19). Xx (ID #27257) $25.00.
31. Borowitz, Eugene, editor. . JUDAISM: A QUARTERLY JOURNAL, ISSUE NO. 160, VOLUME 40, NO.4, FALL 1991. [FESTSCHRIFT IN HONOR OF DR. ROBERT GORDIS]. New York, NY American Jewish Congress, 1991. Original Softcover. 8vo. 387-593 pages. SUBJECT (S) : Judaism. Collection of Essays. Very good condition. (FEST1-45) (ID #27283) $30.00.
32. Brauner, Ronald A. editor. SHIV'IM: ESSAYS AND STUDIES IN HONOR OF IRA EISENSTEIN. Philadelphia, Reconstructionist Rabbinical College, 1977. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 309 pages. 24 cm. Series: “Reconstructionist Rabbinical College Press publication, 1.” Twenty-three scholars have contributed essays relating to the biblical, Rabbinic, medieval, and modern periods of Jewish civilization to commemorate the seventieth birthday of Rabbi Ira Eisenstein, president of the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College and a central figure and leading exponent of the Reconstructionist Movement. Illustrated by B&W frontis. SUBJECT (S) : Judaism -- History. Jews -- History. Judaïsme -- Histoire. Juifs -- Histoire. Eisenstein, Ira, 1906-1991. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition in like jacket. (FEST1-77) (ID #27314) $30.00.
33. Breuer, Marc and Jacob. editors. עטרת צבי JUBILEE VOLUME PRESENTED IN HONOR OF THE EIGHTIETH BIRTHDAY OF RABBI DR. JOSEPH BREUER. New York, P. Feldheim, 1962. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xx, 264, 56 pages. Includes illustrations and portraits. 24 cm. In English and Hebrew. “Breuer (1882–1980) was a Hungarian Orthodox rabbi who immigrated to the U. S. In 1939 to escape Nazi persecution. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: From the writings of Rabbi Dr. Joseph Breuer: High Holidays. Tashlich. Kol nidrei. The longing of the Seder Night. Faith. Towards worlds to come. Eretz Yisroel and the Golah. Youth in the kehilla. "German Jewishness. " Dedication address. -- From the heritage of Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch: The source, by I. Breuer. Rabbi S. R. Hirsch as a pioneer of Judaism in Eretz Yisroel and in the Diaspora, by S. Ehrmann. Taamei hamitzvoth in the Jewish legal philosophy of Rabbi S. R. Hirsch, by I. Grunfeld. The educational work of Rabbi S. R. Hirsch: Jewish schools in Western Europe, by M. Elias. The Frankfurt Yeshiva, by E. Posen. -- Essays on Jewish thought: Zionism and the Sabbath mincha prayer, by R. Breuer. Women through the ages, by H. Meyer-Breuer. Comparative Jewish chronology, by S. Schwab. The actuality of Jewish philosophy, by E. Munk. Ashkenazi and Sephardi pronunication, by E. Ehrentreu. Cardinal point and color schemes in Jewish symbolism, by P. Forchheimer. On the astronomical aspects of twilight in halakha, by L. Levy. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Jews -- History. Breuer, Joseph, 1882-1980. "Bibliography of the writings of ... Joseph Breuer": pages xv-xx. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition. (FEST1-42). (ID #27280) $40.00.
34. Brinker, Dov Nathan. ספר היובל לרבי יהודה ליב הכהן פישמן : במלאת לו חמשים שנה (י״ב כסלו, תרפ״ SEFER HA-YOVEL LE-RABI YEHUDAH LEB HA-KOHEN FISHMAN, BI-MLOT LO HAMISHIM SHANAH (12 KISLEV, 686). Jerusalem, Histadrut Ha-Mizrahi Ha-Tsa`ir, 1925. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 151 pages. Port. 24 cm. In Hebrew. “Maimon (1875–1962) was a rabbi and leader of religious Zionism. In the first years after the establishment of the State of Israel, Maimon advocated the institution of a Sanhedrin as a supreme religious authority, but this attempt aroused opposition in many religious circles. He was appointed minister of religions and minister in charge of war casualties both in the provisional government and in the first elected one; and was a member of the First Knesset. He later relinquished his political activities and devoted himself entirely to literary work. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: ha-Mizrahi ha-hay, me-et Merkaz ha-Mizrahi ha-Tsa`ir ha-E. Y. --he-Hokhmah (shir) me-et Y. Ts. Rimon. --Megilat ahavah le-artsenu, me-et Y. A. Melamed. --Li-sheelat ha-lashon (ha-zemanim) me-et A. M. Lifshits. --Midrash ha-agadah, me-et M. Ostrovski. --Shitat epotropsut be-Yisrael, me-et Y. Berman. --R. Hananyah ben ahi R. Yehoshua ben Hananyah, me-et Y. Engel. --Darkhe ha-Talmud ve-kelale ha-horaah bi-teshuvot ha-Geonim, me-et S. Asaf. --R. Yosef Kaltson ish Yerushalayim, me-et Sh. H. Kuk. --Matanot kehunah, me-et B. Levin. --Masa Bavel (shir) me-et M. M. B. Sh. N. --Mine ha-gevanim ba-Tanakh, me-et Sh. Poshinski. --Min-ha-metsar (mi-yeme ha-milhamah) me-et B. Shapira. --ha-Derakhim be-Erets Yisrael ha-Ma`aravit, me-et A. Shur. --Halomah shel ha-zekenah, me-et A. Sho`er. --Leshonot ha-Arets, me-et Y. A. Abadi. --Tefilin de-R. Netanel (mi-tefuse Yerushalayim) me-et D. N. Brinker. --ha-Sharon, me-et A. Y. Hertsfeld. --Sheelot shalom le-rav, me-et Y. Levi. --Le-toldotav, me-et Z. Perlman. --Le-toldotav ba-Mizrahi, G. Bar-Safra. SUBJECT(S): Judaism. Named Person: Maimon, Judah Leib, 1875-1962. Very good condition. (FEST1-79) (ID #27316) $100.00.
35. Bultmann, Rudolf and Ernst Wolf, Et Al. . FESTSCHRIFT RUDOLF BULTMANN: ZUM 65. GEBURTSTAG ÜBERREICHT. Köln, W. Kohlhammer, 1949. Softcover. 8vo. vii, 251 pages. 23 cm. In German. Bultmann (1884 –1976) was a German theologian of Lutheran background who was critical of the Nazis and spoke out against the mistreatment of Jews under the Third Reich. CONTENTS: Ezechiel 8, 1-9, 11. 11, 24-25; “der Parakler im Johannesevangelium” von E. Balla; “Soeren Kierkegaard” von G. Bornkamm; “”Jesus Christus in Person” von H. Diem; “Prometheus und die Tragoedie der Kultur” von E. Fuchs; “Die christliche Wahrheit” von H. G. Gadamer; “Das Problem des Kultischen im evangelischen Gottesdienst” von f. Gogarten; "Sinai und Choreb” von G. Harbsmeier; “Eine urchristliche Taufliturgie” von G. Hoelscher; “Kirchengeschichte als theologische Disziplin” von E. Kaesemann; “Christlicher Glaube und existenzielles Denken” von H. Karpp; “Ueber das volkommene Gesetz der Freiheit” von G. Krueger; “Aufbau und Ordnung der Ekklesia nach dem Neuen Testament” von H. Schlier; “gedanken Luthers zur Frage der ‘Entmithologisierung’” von J. Schniewind; “Sola gratia?” von F. K. Schumann; “Bibliographia Bultmanniana” von E. Wolf. SUBJECTS: Religion. Rudolf Karl, 1884-1976. Foreword by E. Wolf. "Bibliographia Bultmanniana": pages 241-251. Pages browned, but not fragile. Front hinge repaired. Very good condition. (FEST1-22) (ID #27260) $30.00.
36. (De Sola Pool, Tamar) Angel, Marc; Gaon, Solomon. . HOMAGE TO TAMAR : ON HER NINETIETH BIRTHDAY.. New York City : Tenny Graphics, Inc. , 1980. . Comb bound. , 8vo. SUBJECT (S) : Congregation Shearith Israel (New York, NY) – history; Pool, Tamar de Sola. OCLC lists no copies worldwide. Tamar de Sola Pool (1893-1981) was the wife of David de Sola Pool, who was a rabbi at Congregation Shearrith Israel, which is the oldest synagogue in the United States, from 1907 to 1956. He also served as prisident of the New York Board of Rabbis, founded the Jewish Education Committee of New York, and held several other local, national, and international positions. “Mrs. Pool was national president of Hadassah from 1939 to 1943 and held executive positions with several other national and world Jewish organizations, among them the American Jewish Committee, the World Zionist Organization, and Youth Aliyah. ”(EJ) Small spots on cover, very good condition. (AMR-15-8) (ID #18637) $50.00.
37. Diamond, Stanley. CULTURE IN HISTORY: ESSAYS IN HONOR OF PAUL RADIN. New York, Columbia University Press For Brandeis University, 1960. Original Publisher’s Cloth. Tall 12mo. Xxiv, 1014 pages. Ill. Ports. Maps. 25 cm. Rudin (1883–1959) was a U. S. Anthropologist who devoted much study to the phenomena of religion, especially the God concept among primitives. CONTENTS: Pt. 1. “The primitive worldview”; Pt. 2. “Approaches to Culture”; Pt. 3. “Ritual, Religion, and Myth”; Pt. 4. “History, Social Theory, and Law”; Pt. 5. “Language. ” SUBJECT(S) : Ethnology. Language and languages. Ethnologie. Langage etlangues. Very good condition. (FEST1-12) (ID #27249) $45.00.
38. Dunin-Borkowski, Stanislaus, Graf Von. SPINOZA NACH DREIHUNDERT JAHREN. The Hague, Martinus Nijhoff: 1962. 8vo. Cloth. XLII, 205 pages. In German. 2. Vermehrte Auflage. Contributions by David ben Gurion, Brucar, Brunner, Dubnow, Einstein, Freud, Gebhardt, Hessing, Klausner, Romain Rolland, Siegel, Wassermann, Arnold Zweig, and others. Bookplate, light wear to cloth, Very Good Condition. (k-RAB 1-32). (ID #21648) $30.00.
39. Ehrlich, Ernst Ludwig. editor. LITTERA JUDAICA: IN MEMORIAM EDWIN GUGGENHEIM. [Frankfurt A. Main], Europäische Verlagsanstalt, 1964. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 308 pages. Ports. 20 cm. In German and French. Series: Bibliotheca Judaica; [B'nai B'rith Buch Serie]. SUBJECT (S) : Judaism. Jews -- History. Guggenheim, Edwin. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition in good jacket. (FEST1-49) (ID #27287) $30.00.
40. Epstein, I. editor. ESSAYS IN HONOUR OF THE VERY REV. DR. J.H. HERTZ, CHIEF RABBI OF THE UNITED HEBREW CONGREGATIONS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE, ON THE OCCASION OF HIS SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 1942 (5703). London, E. Goldston, 1942. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xi, 442 pages, 111 pages ports. 25cm. Hertz (1872–1946) was the chief rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the British Commonwealth and a powerful advocacy of Zionism. He fought courageously against Nazism and its echoes in England and strongly criticized the policies adopted by the Mandatory government in Palestine, which he visited frequently. CONTENTS: The Chief Rabbi, by Ephraim Levine. --Talmud manuscripts and editions, by E. N. Adler. --Gnostic themes in rabbinic cosmology, by AlexanderAltmann. --Joseph da Veiga and stock exchange operations in the seventeenth century, by M. B. Amzalak. --Jewish languages, by Salomo Birnbaum. --The ethics of the rabbis, by Abraham Cohen. --The chief rabbis of Vilna, by Israel Cohen. --The meaning of "sacrifices" in the Psalms, by Samuel Daiches. --Collatio 2.6.5., by David Daube. —The so-called "science" movements and their relation to Judaism, by Bernard Drachman. --The conception of the Commandments of the Torah in Aaron Halevi's Sefer ha-hinnuk, by Isidore Epstein. --Incunables about Jews and Judaism, by Aron Freimann. --Popular proverbs in the Jerusalem Talmud, by J. H. Greenstone. --Fasts and fasting, by A. W. Greenup. --Elisha ben Abujah, by R. T. Herford. --The fantastic career of Joshua Abraham Norton, by Louis Hermann. SUBJECT(S) : Jewish literature. Judaism. Littérature juive. Judaïsme. Judentum. Hertz, Joseph H. (Joseph Herman) , 1872-1946. Very good condition. (FEST1-15/15A). (ID #27252/3) $45.00. xx
42. Falk, Ze’ev. גבורות הרמח : דברי חכמים כדרבנות וכמזמרות כתתו לרמח לר׳ משה חיים ויילר GEVUROT HA-ROMAH: DIVRE HAKHAMIM KA-DARBONOT UKHE-MAZMEROT KUTETU. Jerusalem, Hotsaat Mesharim, 1987. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 385, lxv pages.  leaf of plates. Port. 25 cm. In Hebrew with English summary. English Title: “Jewish Studies offered at the eightieth birthday of Rabbi Moses Cyrus Weiler. ” SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Rabbinical literature -- History and criticism. Bible. O. T. -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. Title page partially vocalized. Title on added t. P. : “Gevuroth Haromah. ” Includes bibliographical references. "Moreh nevukhim leha-Rambam: bibliyografyah shel perushim ve-he`arot, me-et Yisrael Ya`akov Dinstag" pages 207-237. Very good condition. (FEST1-27) (ID #27265) $30.00.
43. Federbusch, Simon. editor. הרמב״ם, תורתו ואישיותו : קובץ לרגל מלאות שבע מאות וחמשים שנה לפטירתו MAIMONIDES: HIS TEACHINGS AND PERSONALITY. ESSAYS ON THE OCCASION OF THE 750TH ANNIVERSARY OF HIS DEATH = HA-RAMBAM, TORATO VE-ISHIYUTO: KOVETS LE-REGEL MELOT SHEVA` MEOT VE-HAMISHIM SHANAH LI-FETIRATO.. New York, The Cultural Department Of The World Jewish Congress And, 1956. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. , 21, 73, 157 pages. 24 cm. In English and Hebrew. Foreword in English. These 19 essays were compiled to celebrate the occasion of the 750th anniversary of the death of Maimonides (1135–1204). They focus on the moral principals which Maimonides established in his writings. Maimonides was a “rabbinic authority, codifier, philosopher, and royal physician. The most illustrious figure in Judaism in the post-talmudic era, and one of the greatest of all time… The influence of Maimonides on the future development of Judaism is incalculable. No spiritual leader of the Jewish people in the post-talmudic period has exercised such an influence both in his own and subsequent generations. ” (EJ) Scarce title. SUBJECT(S) : Maimonides, Moses, 1135-1204. "Essays on the occasion of the 750th anniversary of his death. " Added title page in Hebrew. Very good condition in GOOD+ jacket. (FEST1-52) (ID #27290) $30.00.
44. Fleischer, Ezra. editor. מחקרי ספרות, מוגשים לשמעון הלקין MEHKERE SIFRUT, MUGASHIM LE-SHIM`ON HALKIN. Jerusalem, Magnes, 1973. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 280 pages. Port. 24 cm. In Hebrew with added English title page: “Studies in Literature. ” CONTENTS: Dovvsarsky, Z. Browse from the first Hebrew play - Dan, Y.. Formation of SW trends that the Ten Martyrs - Hiinin, Y.. King David and the outbreak of ground water - spray, S.. Story, across the river, of MJ Berdichevsky - Browse Abmkoratio Onuchautio - Miron, D. Chapters Mevo L. Guilt of Samaria "- Mirsky, A.. Examples Discussion Poetry Spain - Pagis, D.. 'Drink not to write Einach - Porat, Z.. Jewish Talmud speaks - Pines, S.. Darkness a great light - Finkelstein, A.. A.. Halevy. Interpreting Briita obscure books - Fleischer, H. Poetry and poetry matters. - Cardboard - Blum, R.. The meaning of the titular color singing Yocheved Bat Miriam - Sherman, H.. Ten new songs Yehuda Halevi - Shaked, C.. Seal time - Tishby, Y.. Enlightenment concept of Herman writings assessment Shapiro. SUBJECT(S) : Hebrew literature, Modern. Aggada. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition. (FEST1-47) (ID #27285) $95.00.
45. (Friedlaender, Israel) American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. . MEMORIAL MEETING, ISRAEL FRIEDLAENDER, BERNARD CANTOR, WHOSE LIVES WHO SACRIFICED JULY 5, 1920, IN THE CAUSE OF ISRAEL AND IN THE SERVICE OF HUMANITY.. 1920. . Cloth, New York: No Publisher, 8vo. 93 pages. SUBJECT (S) : Friedlaender, Israel (1876-1920) ; Cantor, Bernard (1892-1920). Tissued portraits of both men preceding information about each. Louis Finkelstein's copy with his ownership signiture on the front end paper. Finkelstein was a longtime leader of JTSA, beginning with his ordination there in 1919; "A year after his ordination he began teaching Talmud there, and in 1924 he began teaching theology; from 1931 he was professor of theology. He also assumed more and more administrative responsibility, as assistant to the president (1934), provost (1937), president (1940), and chancellor (from 1951–1972)." JTSA is listed as one of the organizations participating in the memorial (AMRN-9-19A). Very Good Condition (ID #17648) $50.00.
46. Gamoran, Emanuel; Grand, Samuel; Gamoran, Mamie Goldsmith. . EMANUEL GAMORAN, HIS LIFE AND HIS WORK [SEFER GAMORAN].. 1979. . Paper Wrappers, New York, N. Y. : Emanuel Gamoran Memorial Fund, . 8vo. Viii, 165 pages. Portrait. Gamoran , 1895-1962, "was primarily responsible for a revolution in the curriculum and methods of Jewish religious education in the US. " -R. J. Wechman. SUBJECT (S) : Jewish religious education - United States; Jewish teachers - United States - Biography. OCLC lists 14 copies worldwide. Ex-library with usual markings. Some slight edgewear. Minor creasing to top right corner. Else in Very Good condition. (FEST-3-19). (ID #17714) $25.00.
47. Hebrew Union College. SYMPOSIA AND ADDRESSES OF THE INAUGURATION OF DR. NELSON GLUECK AS THE FOURTH PRESIDENT OF THE HEBREW UNION COLLEGE, MARCH 12-15, 1948, AT CINCINNATI, OHIO... 1948. . Paper Wrappers, Cincinatti, . 8vo. 188 pages. Symposia include The Future of Torah in America (Jacob R. Marcus, Samuel S. Cohon, Mordecai Kaplan & Abraham Neuman) & The Preservation of American Judaism. Contributors include: Leo Baeck, Dr. Jonah B. Wise, Dr. Joshua Loth Liebman, Dr. Jacob R. Marcus, et al. SUBJECT(S) : Jews. Ex-library with minimal markings. Title penned on spine. Slight bumping to corners and edges. Very slight staining to textblock. In Very Good condition. (FEST-2-4). (ID #17686) $40.00.
48. Goetz, Oswald. compiler. ESSAYS IN HONOR OF GEORG SWARZENSKI. Chicago, Henry Regnery In Cooperation With Verlag Gebr. Mann, Berlin, 1951. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 4to. 269 pages. Illus and frontis tipped in. 26 cm. SUBJECT (S) : Art. Swarzenski, Georg, 1876-1957. Staedel Art Inst. In Frankfurt am Main. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Bibliography: pages 261-. Very good condition. (FEST1-16) (ID #27254) $45.00.
49. Goldstein, Israel) Schneiderman, Harry, editor. TWO GENERATIONS IN PERSPECTIVE: NOTABLE EVENTS AND TRENDS, 1896-1956.. 1957. . Cloth, New York: Monde Publishers, . 8vo. 458 pages. Includes frontis portrait. Sixty years in modern Jewish history. Essays by: Julius Silver, Jacob Kaplan, Moshe Kol, Alex Rose, Philip Rubin, Pierre van Passen, Nahum Goldmann, Levi Eshkol. Foreword by Louis Finkelstein. Essays by 26 contributors on the significant events in world history affecting Jews&Jewish life in the past 60 years. This volume is dedicated to & published in honor of Dr. Israel Goldstein, whose 60th Birthday was widely celebrated in 1956. A full biography of Dr. Goldstein & selected exerpts from his addresses, books & other writings are included in the volume. Schneiderman (1885-1975) , was an American "editor and organization executive. In addition to editing numerous periodicals and reference works, he also compiled The Jews in Nazi Germany (1933, 19352) and was coeditor of the Contemporary Jewish Record (1938-45) , and chairman of the editorial board of Who's Who in World Jewry (1955, 19652). Schneiderman was a founder and officer of the Jewish Book Council of America" [Harry J. Alderman in EJ]. SUBJECT(S) : Jews - History - 1789-1945; Jews - History - 1945; Judaism; Jews - United States - History. Ex-library with usual markings. Very slight bumping to edges. Gilt Lettering on spine. In Very Good condition. (FEST-1a-10). (ID #17683) $50.00.
50. Hirschberg, H. Z. editor. ספר ח"מ שפירא : תרס"ב-תש"ל SEFER H. M. SHAPIRA 662-730. [MEMORIAL TO H.M. SHAPIRO (1902-1970) ] 2 VOLUMES.. Ramat-Gan, Bar Ilan University, Department Of Hebrew And Semitic Studies, 1972. Original Publisher’s Cloth. Large 8vo. Liii, 548, clxvi, 254 pages. 25 cm. In Hebrew with additional title page and summaries in English. Series: Bar Ilan, sefer ha-shanah le-mada`e ha-Yahadut veha-ruah shel Universitah Bar-Ilan, 9 & 10. CONTENTS: Volume 1 – Studies in Judaica and the Humanities; Volume 2 – Volume in Social Sciences. Some articles in English with Hebrew abstracts. SUBJECT(S) : Rabbinical literature. Judaism. Shapira, Hayyim Moshe, 1902-1970. OCLC lists 9 copies worldwide. Very good condition in GOOD+ jackets. (FEST1-55). Xxx (ID #27293) $50.00.
51. Jerusalem Hebrew University. THE HEBREW UNIVERSITY OF JERUSALEM, 1925-1950. Jerusalem, Hebrew University, 1950. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xvi, 207 pages. Ill. Ports. 25 cm. "Semi-jubilee volume...prepared by Dr. Manka Spiegel. " A collection of articles by friends of the University and members of its faculty. With a foreword by Albert Einstein. “The Hebrew University of Jerusalem was the first university established in Israel. The Nazi persecution of Jews in Germany and their exclusion from institutions of higher learning gave fresh importance to the Hebrew University. It could take its part in the battle for academic freedom, and be a principal place in which exiled scholars and scientists could find a haven. Hebrew remained the language of instruction, and was rapidly adapted to the needs of modern learning and science. The university was a pioneer in establishing contacts with Palestinian scholars as well as researchers from Arab countries even before the political movement towards peace began in the early 1990s. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Universiteiten. Very good condition. (FEST1-102) (ID #27338) $25.00.
52. Jewish Theological Seminary Of America. ALEXANDER MARX. JUBILEE VOLUME ON THE OCCASION OF HIS SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY (COMPLETE IN TWO VOLUMES). New York, Jewish Theological Seminary Of America, 1950. Complete in Two Volumes: Volume One: Original Publisher Cloth. Volume Two: Original Paper Wrappers. 8vo. Xxiii, 667; ix, 447 pages. Port. 24 cm. Volume I in English; Vol II in Hebrew. CONTENTS: “Alexander Marx, ” by R. Kohut; “The man of the book, ” by S. Goodman; “Bibliography of the writings of Alexander Marx, ” by B. Cohen (p. 35-59) -- The judicial reform of Jehoshaphat, ” by W. F. Albright; “Moritz Steinschneider's contribution to Jewish historiography, ” by S. W. Baron; “Some notes on the transmission of the Septuagint, ” by E. J. Bickermann; “Antichresis in Jewish and Roman law, ” by B. Cohen; “The region of the Persian Gulf and its Jewish settlements in Islamic times, ” by W. J. Fischel; “Jewish scribes in medieval Italy, ” by A. Freimann; “Themon Judaeus and his work, ” by H. Friedenwald; “Judah and the Transjordan states from 734 to 582 B. C. E. , ” by H. L. Ginsberg; “Democratic origins in ancient Israel, the Biblical edah, ” by R. Gordis; “Ibn Àknin's commentary on the Songs of songs, ” by A. S. Halkin; “The editio princeps of pseudo-Philo's Liber antiquitatum biblicarum, ” by G. Kisch; “A brief supplement to the standard Hebrew dictionaries of abbreviations, ” by J. R. Marcus; “On the date of appearance of the first printed Hebrew books, ” by M. Marx; “Josippon: history and pietism, ” by A. A. Neuman; “Catalogue of manuscripts in the Roth collection, ” by C. Roth; “Piyyutim from the Geniza collection of David Kauffmann, ” by A. Scheiber; “A new Bible translation, ” by A. Sperber; “Habiru-Ìbhrim, ” by E. Taeubler; “The Hebrew of the Geniza Sirach, ” by C. C. Torrey; “The veracity of Scripture in Philo, Halevi, Maimonides, and Spinoza, ” by H. A. Wolfson; “A note on the principle of intention in tannaitic literature, ” by S. Zeitlin. SUBJECT(S) : Jews. Named Person: Marx, Alexander, 1878-1953. Previous owner’s name on FEP of English volume. Wrappers of Hebrew volume worn at edges with minor chipping. Overall, very good condition. (FEST1-37) (ID #27275) $150.00.
53. Karff, Samuel. HEBREW UNION COLLEGE JEWISH INSTITUTE OF RELIGION AT ONE HUNDRED YEARS. [Cincinnati], Hebrew Union College Press, 1976. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xvii, 501 pages.  leaves plates. Ill. 24 cm. A critical history of the edcuational institute and five essays on the accomplishments of its faculty. Includes 16 pages of black and white photos. “Hebrew Union College is the oldest rabbinical seminary in the United States. Dedicated to Jewish scholarship and the training of religious leadership for the Reform movement. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. Includes bibliographical references and indexes. Very good condition in good jacket. (FEST1-30). (ID #27268) $30.00.
54. Another Copy. Ex-library with usual marks, otherwise in Very Good condition in Good dustjacket. (amr-20-42). (ID #19064) $30.00.
55. Kasher, Menahem, editor. ספר היובל לכבוד הרב דר. אליהו יונג THE LEO JUNG JUBILEE VOLUME: ESSAYS IN HIS HONOR ON THE OCCASION OF HIS SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY, 5722, 1962 = SEFER HA-YOVEL LI-KHEVOD HA-RAV DR. ELIYAHU YUNG. New York, The Jewish Center, 1962. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo/ 242, 258 pages. Ill. Port. Facs. 24 cm. In English and Hebrew (each section with unique material). “Jung (1892–1987) was a U. S. Orthodox rabbi born in Ungarisch-Brod (Uhersky-Brod) , Moravia. A noted writer and editor, Jung started the Jewish Library in 1928 and edited eight volumes. ” (EJ) English articles include: "Leo Jung, " Nima H. Adlerblum, . "A Word of Thanks, " Herman Woul, "The Two-fold Tetragrammaton of the Thirteen Attributes, " Eliezer Berkovits, "The Prayer Book of Maimonides, " Jacob I. Dienstag, "The Distinictiveness of Maimonides' Halakhah, " Isidore Epstein, "The Alexandrian Tradition and the Midrash Ha-Ne'elam, " Joshua Finkel, "The Religion of Sympathy, " Abraham J. Heschel, "The Antonin Genizah in the Saltyakov-Schedrin Public Library in Leningrad, " Abraham I. Katsh, "The Neuendorf Haggadah, " Bruno Kisch, "From the Early Years of the Swiss Rabbinate, " Guido Kisch, "Two Versions of 'Synthesis, '" Norman Lamm, "The Mishnah as Viewed by the Amoraim, " Samuel K. Mirsky, "L'Histiographie Juive, " E. Munk, "The 'Time Lag' of Halakhah, " Louis Rabinowitz, " "The Motif of Freedom in the Sabbath, " Leonard Rosenfeld, "The Religious Nature of the Zealots, " Cecil Roth, "Meta-Halakhic Propositions, " Walther S. Wurzburger, "The Significance of the Statement 'We are not acquainted any more' as Echoed in Rabbinic Literature, " H. J. Zimmels. Plus 25 articles in Hebrew. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Includes bibliographical references. "Bibliography of the writings of Rabbi Leo Jung": pages 239-242. Very good condition. (FEST1-43).xx (ID #27281) $30.00.
56. Katsh, Abraham I. & Leon Nemoy, editors. . ESSAYS ON THE OCCASION OF THE SEVENTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF THE DROPSIE UNIVERSITY (1909-1979). Philadelphia, Dropsie University, 1979. 1st Edition. Cloth, Large 8vo, 462 pages. "This volume deidcated to the memory of Professor Solomon Zeitlin. " Guido Kisch's copy Contents include: R. Jacob Tam's Stringent Criticism of R. Meshullam of Melub, in its Historical Setting (by Irving A. Agus) ; Egyption Faience or Glazewear (by Louis Finkelstein) ; The Policy of the German Governemnt towards Zionism, 1897-1918 (by Isaih Friedman) ; Some Traditional Principles in Biblical Exegesis (by William Chomsky) ; Popes, Jews, and Inquisition from "Sicut" to "Torbato" (by Solomon Grayzel) ; Unpublished Cairo Genizah Talmudic Fragments from the Antonin Collection in the Saltykov-Shchedrin Library in Leningrad (by Abraham I. Katsh) ; The Interrelationship Between Jews, Christians, Moslems, and Others, as Reflected in Arabic Proverbs (by Shimon L. Khayyat) ; The Contribution of German Jews to Law and Jurisprudence--A Summary Survey (by Guido Kisch) ; The Origin of the Synagogue (by Leo Landman) ; The Ascension of Enoch and Elijah: A Tenth Century Karaite Interpretation (by Leon Nemoy) ; "Realia As Portrayed by Rashi: A Description of Medieval Household Utensils (by Esra Shereshevsky); etc. Ex-library. Editors own copy, also signed by other editor. Very good condition. (k-rab-3-23) Very Good condition Issued w/o DJ? . (ID #21317) $60.00.
57. Katsh, Abraham Isaac; Ya`akov Ben-Yosef. . SEFER AVRAHAM YITSHAK KATS : LE-YOVLO HA-SHISHIM.. Tel Aviv : Hotsaat Yedidim `al Yede Hotsaat Mahbarot Le-Sifrut. , 1969. . Quarter cloth. , 8vo. 411 pages. In Hebrew with German introduction. Frontispiece. First edition. SUBJECT (S) : Katsh, Abraham Isaac, 1908-1998. Katsh (1908-1998) was born in Poland and emigrated to the U. S. In 1925. In 1933, he began teaching at New York University, and over the following three decades taught Hebrew education, culture, language and literature there. In 1957 He founded the National Association of Professors of Hebrew in American Universities, and was elected president of Dropsie College in 1967, where he served until 1976. His scholarship won him many awards and fellowships, including the Je wish Teachers Association of New York's Avodah Award, the Rabbi Kaniel Prize of the Municipality of Haifa, and the first Charles Kramer Research Fellow of the Institute for Jewish Policy Planning and Research of the Synagogue Council of America. Katsh is well known for his studies of Hebrew manuscripts and fragments from Russia and Eastern Europe, his translations, and his essays on Jewish studies in the United States. (EJ) Has dust jacket. Jacket is rubbed and has three inch long tear on back. Book is clean and tight. Very good condition. (Katsh-1-1) x24 (ID #19580) $80.00.
58. Kazemi, Farhad. editor. A WAY PREPARED: ESSAYS ON ISLAMIC CULTURE IN HONOR OF RICHARD BAYLY WINDER. New York, University Press, 1988. Original Publisher’s Cloth. Xxxiii, 299 pages, illustrations. 23cm. Contributions of 16 authors. CONTENTS: “Preface, ” by Farhad Kazemi & R. D. McChesney; “Biography of Richard Bayly Winder; “Bibliography of Richard Bayly Winder; “The commerce of Mecca before Islam, ” by F. E. Peters; “Whence the Muslim conquest of Northern Mesopotamia? , ” by Nadine F. Posner; “Russia's relations with the Mamluk Beys of Egypt in the late eighteenth century, ” by Daniel Crecelius; “The loan of mursad on Waqf properties, ” by Randi Beguilhem-Schoem; “Ilyas Qudsi on the craft organizations of Damascus in the late nineteenth century, ” by R. D. McChesney, trans; “Ibn Taymiyah's empiricism, ” by Nicholas Heer; “Islamic textuality in light of poststructuralist criticism, ” by Richard C. Martin; “Subordinance and dominance : non-Muslim minorities and the traditional Islamic state as perceived from above and below, ” by Norman A. Stillman; “Geometry and ideology : the festival of Islam and the study of Islamic art, ” by Oleg Grabar; “Universal solutions to problems of spherical astronomy from Mamluk Egypt and Syria, ” by David A. King; “Fatimid under glaze painted wares : a chronological readjusment, ” by George T. Scanlon; “Women and politics in an Arabian Oasis, ” by Christine Eickelman; “"How could something so right go so wrong?" : the collapse of Lebanon's ethnoconfessional democracy, ” by John P. Entelis; “The immortal Ataturk : psychobiography as autobiography, ” by Norman Itzkowitz; “Ménage à quatre : the making of agrarian policy in Senegal, ” by John Waterbury. SUBJECTS: Islamic civilization. Civilisation islamique. Middle East. Machreq. Moyen-Orient --Histoire. Includes bibliographies and index. Navy cloth over boards with gilt titles. Good condition. (FEST1-6) (ID #27243) $30.00.
59. (Kelman, Wolfe) Chiel, Arthur A. . PERSPECTIVES ON JEWS AND JUDAISM: ESSAYS IN HONOR OF WOLFE KELMAN.. 1978. . Cloth, New York: Rabbinical Assembly, . 8vo. 483 pages. Frontis Portrait. Kelman (1923-1990) , an American Conservative rabbi, was born in Vienna and educated in Canada. He served in the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II. He was ordained at the Jewish Theological Seminary in 1950 and from then served as executive vice-president of the Rabbinical Assembly. He also served as visiting rabbi of the West London Synagogue in England. His writings have appeared in the American Jewish Yearbook and Conservative Judaism. Kelman has taught homiletics at the Jewish Theological Seminary" [Jack Reimer in EJ]. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism - History. Gilt lettering on spine. Some bumping to edges of dustjacket and edges of book. Personal note written and signed by Wolfe Kelman. In Very Good condition. (FEST-2-3). (ID #17674) $30.00.
60. Kohut, George Alexander, Ed. . SEMITIC STUDIES IN MEMORY OF REV. DR. ALEXANDER KOHUT, WITH PORTRAIT AND MEMOIR.. . Berlin: S. Calvary, 1897. Half cloth; 8vo. Xxxv, 615 pages. Marbled boards. In English, French, German, Greek, Arabic, and Hebrew. 43 important essays in addition to the introduction and the "portrait and memoir. " Alexander Kohut was a rabbi and orientalist, author of the monumental 4000-page edition of the "Aruch Completum" or "'Aruk ha-Shalem, " the production of which took Kohut 25 years. Adolph Kohut, author of the memoir, was his brother; George, the editor, was his son, himself a rabbi and scholar. SUBJECT (S) : Semitic philology. Edgeworn; front hinge starting. Owner's stamp on flyleaf. Very good condition. (RAB-48-17) (ID #15923) $150.00.
61. Kollel Institute Of Greater Detroit. ספר יד שלמה: ספר זכרון לזכר שלמה נוסבאום SEFER YAD SHELOMOH: SEFER ZIKARON LE-ZEKHER SHELOMOH NUSBAUM. Oak Park, Michigan; Kollel Institute Of Greater Detroit, 1986. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 165 pages. 24 cm. In Hebrew. Title translates to English as, “Book in Memory of Shlomo Nussbaum. ” SUBJECT(S) : Jewish law. Named Person: Nusbaum, Shelomoh. Other Titles: Yad Shlomo; Yad Shelomoh. Includes bibliographical references. OCLC lists 15 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (FEST1-103) (ID #27339) $50.00.
62. Kutscher, Edward. editor. ספר יד שלמה: ספר זכרון לזכר שלמה נוסבאום SEFER ZIKARON LE-HANOKH YALON. Ramat-Gan, Bar - Ilan University, Department Of Hebrew And Semitic Studies, 1974. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 567, xxxiii pages. 1 leaf of plates, port. 25 cm. In Hebrew with English summaries. Series: Mehkere Bar-Ilan, 2. “Yalon (1886–1970) was a Hebrew linguist whose achievements as an innovator in the field of research on the Hebrew language were considerable. His studies cover all periods of the history of the Hebrew language: the Bible, mishnaic Hebrew, piyyut, medieval grammarians, Hebrew poetry in Spain, rabbinical Hebrew, grammarians of more recent centuries, and the Haskalah literature down to the contemporary spoken language. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: Avineri, E.. Aramaic dialect story of the Jews Zako. - Blow, J.. Studies in the theory of nicknames (including the advisory) and Semitic. - Ben - Haim, M. Values of words (b). - Bergegreene, N.. Smart language inquiries. - Greenfield, H.. J.. Law studies in terms of Nabatean tomb inscriptions. - Hahnemann, C. As tradition dictated the dotted Safra (as Roman 66). - Yibin, Y.. Traditional connection section Babylonian Targum Onkelos Bible. - Kosher, Vol. Does every sentence have a deep performance rod? Issue of language pragmatics and Mishnaic today. - Lonstam, S.. A.. How far the reach of literature Ugaritic parallels? - Morag, S.. Wrote - a Yemeni Babylonian Hand Book of Daniel. - Heritage, from. Ahbriitut are in Hebrew, without a smart tongue. - Mirsky, A.. Recommended ways of Yossi Ben - Yossi. - Tannery, R.. Two subsections of the repository: Greetings A, a - c, a, a wig d, c - and, c. - Melamed, E.. Czech. Seventh mask (by YY clips archiving). Sedan, R.. This is a subject mask and tools. - Fleischer, H. Solving of some problems - the basis of classical Ahkedushta structure. - Qadri, M.. Czech. Syntactic test - to determine the boundaries of Simantit Hebrew periods (from anywhere). Rabinowitz, Z.. M. Jerusalem remains from the Geniza. - Artzahevi, Y.. Whole language and grammar Shabazi singing. - Wand, S.. Lack of conflict between clenched dreamer and violet develop (Babylonian pronunciation handwritten). Lieberman, S.. Editor's Note. - Elhanani, H.. A.. Enoch Yellin. SUBJECT(S) : Hebrew philology. Semitic languages. Hebraika. Yalon, Henoch, 1886-1970. -- Bibliography. Qumrantexte. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition in GOOD+ jacket. (FEST1-56) (ID #27294) $35.00.
63. Ladero Quesada, Miguel Angel. ESTUDIOS EN MEMORIA DEL PROFESOR D. SALVADOR DE MOXO (TWO VOLUMES). Madrid, Universidad Complutense, 1982. Original Softcover. 8vo. 2 volumes. 705, 730 pages. 24 cm. In Spanish. Series: En La España Medieval, 2-3. (Clero y Cortes castellanas. Los quiñoneros de Segovia (s. XIV y XV). La Biblioteca del Conde de Benavente a mediados del XV. Ortega, el escalador. Notas sobre los monederos de Cuenca en el siglo XV. Judíos y conversos de Torrelaguna (Madrid) en tiempos de la expulsión. La mujer en el Fuero de Cuenca, etc). SUBJECT(S) : Moxó, Salvador de. Geographic: Spain -- Civilization -- 711-1516. Spain --History -- 711-1516. Moxó y Ortiz de Villajos, Salvador de; Centenarios, homenajes, etc. ; España; Historia; 414-1474; Coleccionesde escritos. Includes bibliographical references. Ex-library with minimal markings. Very good condition. (FEST1-13) (ID #27250) $150.00.
64. (Lessing, Mendelssohn) Deutsch-Israelitischer Gemeindebund, Leipzig. . LESSING-MENDELSSOHN-GEDENKBUCH. Leipzig : Baumgärtner. , 1879. Cloth. , 12mo. Vi, 399 pages. Tissue papered frontispiece and illustrations. In German. First edition. SUBJECT (S) : Lessing, Gotthold Ephraim, 1729-1781; Mendelssohn, Moses, 1729-1786. Ex library with stamps and tape on the spine, cloth a little worn on the front edge, bumped corners, red colored edges, very good condition. (GER-19-3) (ID #18948) $130.00.
65. Levi, Leo N. . MEMORIAL VOLUME: LEO N. LEVI.. . Chicago: Hamburger Print Co. , 1905. Cloth. 8vo. 342 pages. A biography of and tribute to Levi, who had been president of B'nai B'rith. Includes good material on the dispersion of Jews to America. SUBJECT (S) : Jewish Question; Jews-United States; B'nai B'rith. Black and white glossy portrait of author/subject opposite title page. Ex-library with usual markings. wear to cloth and rear endpapers, Good Condition (amr-20-37-dw) (ID #19059) $40.00.
66. Lifshits, Y. editor. שאצקי־בוך : אָפשאצונגען וועגן יעקב שאצקי און שאצקיס זכרונות, בריוו, רעפעראטן און עסייען SHATSKI-BUK: OPSHATSUNGEN VEGN DR. YA`AKOV SHATSKI UN DR. SHATSKIS ZIKHROYNES, BRIV, REFERATN UN ESEYEN. New York, Buenos Aires, YIVO, 1958. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 380 pages. Port. 24 cm. In Yiddish. Series: “Argentiner Yivo-bibliotek, 21.” “Shatzky (1893–1956) was a Polish-born historian and he was one of the founders of the U. S. Section of YIVO. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Jews -- History. Jewish historians. Jewish scholars. Jews -- Europe, Eastern -- History. Shatzky, Jacob, d. 1956. Added Spanish Title Page: “Shatzky-buj: memorias, cartas y ensayos de Jacob Shatzky. ” Includes bibliographical references (pages -376). Cloth torn along backstrip, but binding still tight. Previouss owner’s name and inscription on FEP. Otherwise a nice, clean copy in good+ condition. (FEST1-76) (ID #27313) $40.00.
68. Löwinger, D. S. , Jozsef Somogyi. editors. IGNACE GOLDZIHER MEMORIAL VOLUME (COMPLETE IN TWO VOLUMES). Budapest And Jerusalem, [S. N. ], 1958. Complete in 2 volumes. Volume 1: Original Paper Wrappers. Volume 2: Rebound in period cloth. Vii, 434, 44, viii, 222, 129 pages. Facsim, music, port. 21 cm. Text in English, Latin, French, German, Hebrew and Arabic with English summaries of the Hebrew articles. Goldizher (1850–1921) was a Hungarian scholar and one of the founders of modern Islamic scholarship. He earned his living as secretary of the Budapest Neolog Jewish community for 30 years, and in 1900 he became professor of religious philosophy at the Budapest Rabbinical Seminary. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: Part1 – “Quran readings of Ibn Miqsam, ” Arthur Jeffery; “Strange reading in the Quran, ” Charles C. Torrey; “Note on mishkat, ” W. H. Worrell; “Hairs of the Prophet, ” Samuel M. Zwemer; “Arabic scientific literature, ” George Sarton; “Arabic religious literature: new approaches in research, ” Edwin E. Calverley; “Eulogetos, ” Eric F. F. Bishop; “Character of early Islamic sects, ” William Thomson; “Chronological order of Ezra and Nehemiah, ” H. H. Rowley; “Argument from design: a Mu`tazilite treatise attributed to al-Jahiz, ” H. A. R. Gibb; “Quran and the `Arabiya, ” Paul Kahle; “Kitab al-Badi` of Ibn Khalawaih, ” Arthur J. Arberry; “Oriental documents in the Swedish State Archives, ” K. V. Zettersteen; “Untersuchungen zum Mitlautbestand des Ugaritisch-Semitischen, ” Joseph Aistleitner; “Islamic preacher: wa`iz, mudhakkir, qass, ” Johs. Pedersen; “Nouvelle bibliographie hallagienne, ” Louis Massignon; “Contribution to Quran and Hadith interpretation, ” A. S. Yahuda; “About five-tone-scales in the early Hebrew melodies, ” B. Szabolcsi; “Middle Assyrian votive bead found at Tanis, ” Julius Lewy; “Remarks on Psalm 91, ” Immanuel Löw; “Cérémonie du tewhid á Vidin, ” Jules Németh; “Nebuchadnezzar's dream in the book of Daniel, ” Samuel Löwinger; “Adh-Dhahabi's record of the destruction of Damascus by the Mongols in 699-700/1299-1301, ” Joseph Somogyi; “Sur quelques éléments juifs et pseudo-juifs dans l'encyclopédie magique de Buni, ” Georges Vajda; “Autograph letter of the pseudo-messiah Mordecai ben Hayyim of Eisenstadt, ” Jacob Leveen; “De pseudopropheta Nathan Ghazati ignota relatio, ” Mauricius Dercsényi; “Egyptian elements in the Haggadah, ” Bernard Heller; “Supplementary bibliography of the literary work of Ignace Goldziher, ” Alexander Scheiber; “Quelques additions et corrections à la "Bibliographie des Oeuvres de Ignace Goldziher par B. Heller, Paris, 1927", ” I. Kratschkovsky; “English summaries of the Hebrew articles. Goldziher as seen through his letters, ” S. D. Goitein; “Letter by Poznanski and Sokolov to Goldziher, ” S. Löwinger; “Rabbanite prayer-book quoted by Qirqisani, ” Alexander Scheiber; “Poem by Israel Najara as a Sabbatian hymn, ” G. Sholem; “pt. 2. Sur la doctrine du Mahdi Ibn Tumart, ” Robert Brunschvig; “Christian legislation on the synagogue, ” Samuel Krauss; “Suggestions for further studies in Judaeo-Arabic literature, ” Solomon L. Skoss; “Testimonial compulsion in Jewish, Roman, and Moslem law, ” Boaz Cohen; “Beiträge zur islamischen Literaturgeschichte, ” M. Plessner; “Ibn Kammuna's treatise on the immortality of the soul, ” Leon Nemoy; “Eliezer ben Hyrcanus: a Shammaite? , ” Alexander Guttmann; “On the development and shifting of motives in the Israelitic-Jewish conceptions of clean and unclean, ” Abraham Brody; “About Jewish elements in the Vitae prophetarum, ” Otto Komlòs; “Miscellanea Arabo-Turcica, ” Ladislaus Rásonyi; “Pslam XIX: 5, ” David Fokos-Fuchs; “Ibn Khaldun: on the Bible, Judaism and the Jews, ” Walter J. Fischel; “Asnawi's tract against Christian officials, ” Moshe Perlman; “Addenda to the bibliography of Goldziher, ” Alexander Scheiber; “[Edition of the Arabic text of the "seventy words" by Saadia Gaon], ” Nehemia Allony; “[Renewal of the controversy over the prayer for the head of the community at Abraham Maimuni's time], ” S. D. Goitein; “[Two Piyyutim for Sukkoth, from the Kaufmann Ceniza-Collection], ” Alexander Scheiber; “[On the development of the Agunah-problem], ” Ernest (A. N. Z. ) Roth; “[Jesh 'em lemiqra': a new suggestion on the interpretation of this formula], ” Leo Jung; “[613 commandments among the Samaritans], ” Abraham S. Halkin; “[Remarks on the Arabic text of the Kuzari], ” D. Z. Baneth; “[Relative clauses in the peasant dialect of Bir-Zeit], ” Joshua Blau. SUBJECT(S) : Semitic philology. Islam. Jodendom. Semitische talen. Volume One: Wrappers worn, but still nice. Previous owner’s name on inside cover. Volume Two: Some pages tanned, but noot fragile. Previous owner’s name on FEP. Very good condition. (FEST1-31) (ID #27269) $300.00.
69. MacDonald, Duncan Black. THE MACDONALD PRESENTATION VOLUME: A TRIBUTE TO DUNCAN BLACK MACDONALD, CONSISTING OF ARTICLES BY FORMER STUDENTS, PRESENTED TO HIM ON HIS SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY, APRIL 9, 1933.. Princeton, University Press, 1933. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. X, 487 pages. 25 cm. MacDonald (1863-1943) was an American Orientalist who focused on Semitic languages and Muslim theology. CONTENTS: Barstow, Robbins Wolcott. Dedication. - Mackenzie, William Douglas. Duncan Black Macdonald; scholar, teacher and author. - Adams, Charles C. Muhammad 'Abduh and the Transvaal Fatwã. - Bailey, Moses. David the Reubenite, A Messianic figure in three religions. - Birge, J. Kingsley. Yunus Emre, Turkey's great poet of the people. - Butler, Pierce. Fifteenth century editions of Arabic authors in Latin translation. - Calverley, E. E. Al-Abhari's Isaghuji fi'l-Mantig. - Donaldson, Swight M. Al-Ya'guibi's chapter about Jesus Christ. - Doolittle, Margaret. Lessons in religion and ethics. - Elder, W. E. Al-Tahãwai's 'Bayãn al Sunna wa'l-Jamã'a'. - Finkel, Joshua. Jewish Christian, and Samaritan influences on Arabia. - Fiske, G. Walter. Modern objectives in religious education. - Flight, J. W. Some observations on the problem of Semitic alphabet origins. - Grant, Elihu. Excavations and their results at Ain Shems. - Hadidian, Yervant H. Philonism in the Fourth Gospel. - Hodous, Lewis. The introduction of Buddhism into China. - Johnson, Elmer E. S. Augustus Charles Thompson: student in Berlin 1838-1839.- Lovell, Florence Bell. The portrait of Jesus in the sayings source. - Mackensen, Ruth Stellhorn. The present literary form of the Balaam story. - Merrill, John E. A Christian 'word of testimony' for use with Muslims. - Miller, Barnette. The curriculum of the Palace School of the Turkish Sultans. - Randall, William Madison. Three engraved stones from the Moritz Collections at the University of Chicago. - Sarton, George. Remarks on the study and teaching of Arabic. - Shellabear, W. G. A Malay treatise on popular Sufi practices. - Thomson, William. Khãrijitism and the Khãrijites. - Titus, Murray T. Islam and the Kingdom of God. - Trout, John M. A study in the development of Christian social ethics. - Waser, Raymond Albert. A brief study of the relationship between the eighth chapter of Proverbs and the Prologue of St. John's Gospel. - Wild, Laura Hulda. An observation upon Tyndale's linguistic genius. - A bibliography of Professor Macdonald's writings up to his seventieth birthday, April 9, 1933. SUBJECT(S) : Religion -- History. Oriental literature. "Editorial committee: William G. Shellabear, Edwin E. Calverley, Elbert C. Lane [and] Ruth S. Mackensen. : -page [ii]. OCLC lists 26 copies worldwide. Edges of boards, spine, sunned. Very good condition. (FEST1-51) (ID #27289) $30.00.
70. Maimonides Octocentennial Committee. . CELEBRATION OF THE EIGHT HUNDREDTH BIRTHDAY OF MOSES MAIMONIDES.. 1935. . Paper Wrappers, New York, No Publisher (The Committee) , 8vo, 8 pages. Includes suggestions on why and how to observe the birthday, including suggested lectures, papers, music, theatre, and exhibitions; Study units for Jewish schools; a Maimonides Sabbath; Library & Museum Exhibits, etc. Very light wear to cover, Very Good Condition (fest-4-10) xxxx (ID #17654) $30.00.
71. Marcus, David. editor. THE GASTER FESTSCHRIFT: THEODOR HERZL GASTER ON THE OCCASION OF HIS RETIREMENT FROM BARNARD COLLEGE AND COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY. New York, Ancient Near Eastern Society, 1973. Original Publisher’s Wrappers. 8vo. X, 453 pages. Ill. Series: “The Journal of the Ancient Near Eastern Society, 5.” Gaster (1906–1992) was a British-born American Biblical scholar known for work on comparative religion, mythology and the history of religions. As a distinct holding, OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Universitat Konstanz, Bibliothek; Universitatsbibliothek Tubingen). Very good condition. (FEST1-25) (ID #27263) $45.00.
72. Marx, Alexander and Herrmann Meyer, editors. . FESTSCHRIFT FÜR ARON FREIMANN ZUM 60. GEBURTSTAGE: DARGEBRACHT V. D. SONCINO-GESELLSCH. D. FREUNDE D. JÜDISCHEN BUCHES E.V. BERLIN. Berlin, Aldus-Dr, 1935. Original Paper Wrappers. Large 4to. vii, 173 pages. In German. Corp Author: Soncino-Gesellschaft der Freunde des Jüdischen Buches. Freimann (1871–1948) was a German scholar, historian and bibliographer. Under his direction the library in Frankfurt assembled one of the richest collections of Judaica and Hebraica in the world. He retired in 1933 when the Nazis came to power and immigrated to the United States in 1938. He was also active in Jewish communal life and in Jewish educational institutions. SUBJECTS: Jewish literature -- Bibliography. Printing, Hebrew. Manuscripts, Hebrew. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (University of Toronto Robarts Library, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Universitaatsbibliothek Regensburg) , none in the US. Closed tear (1”) to first ten pages. Minor chipping to wrappers. Good condition. (FEST1-24) (ID #27262) $300.00.
73. Melamed, Ezra Zion. . SEFER ZIKARON LE-VINYAMIN DEH-FRIS : KOVETS MEHKARIM SHEL HAVERAV VE-TALMIDAV.. Jerusalem : Tel Aviv University Research Authority and Stichting Fronika Sanders Fonds. , 1968. . Hardcover. , Large 8vo. 8, 342 pages. Illustrated with photograph and facsimiles. In Hebrew with English forward. First edition. English title: Benjamin De Vries memorial volume : studies presented by colleagues and pupils. SUBJECT (S) : Rabbinical literature; De Vries, Benjamin, 1905-1966. CONTENTS: Mishna and Tosefta in the first section of Eduyot, Shmuel Schmida; Tosefta to the Tractate Tamid, Abraham Goldberg; The antiquity of the Mishna Shekalim 1, 5, Louis Finkelstein; On the Mishna of “The Pious, ” Zeev Falk; The separation of first tithes during the Second Temple Period, Aharon Oppenheimer; From Biblical severity to rabbinic injunction, Yitzhak D. Gilat; Ahare Mot (Leviticus XVI) , A. A. Halevi; Heaven and earth and the four directions, M. B. Lerner; Aspaklaria, Joshua Brand; Euphemisms and textual alterations of expressions in Talmudic literature, E. Z. Melammed; Anti0Semitism in imperial Rome in the light of rabbinic literature, Moshe David Herr; Purpose and intent of rabbi Zerachya Halevi in Sefer Ha-Maor, Benjamin Zeev Benedict; Custom and law in the responsa of Ashkenizic rabbis in the 15th century, Yedidya Dinari; Yannai's Keroba to the section “Return to the land of thy fathers” (Genesis 31, 3) , Zvi Meir Rabinowitz; Articulation in the vowels u, I in Galilean Aramaic and Michnaic Hebrew transcriptions of Biblical Hebrew, Yehezkel Kutscher; Rashi's commentary to scripture and vernacular translations, Menahem Banit; One type of lack of parallelism in scriptural verse, M. Z. Kadarl; On the history of the rabbinate in the Middle Ages, Jacob Katz; Towards identification of the anonymous commentary to Ma'archot Ha'Elohut, Ephraim Gottlieb; Tow words of Mishnaic Hebrew in the Biblical Period, Jacob Turi; Notes on Palestine studies, Shmuel Safrai. “Born in Shiraz, Persia, Melamed [1903-1994] was taken to Palestine by his father, R. R. Melamed, when he was two. He worked at the Ministry of Education (1952–56) , and was appointed professor of Bible at the Hebrew University (1964) and of Talmud at Bar Ilan (1961) and at Tel Aviv (1964) universities. He was elected to the Hebrew Language Academy in 1956 and to the Higher Archaeological Council in 1963. He was awarded the Israel Prize in 1987 for Torah literature and commentary on the sources. Melamed's major works are in the fields of talmudic literature. Because of his involvement with the Persian and other Oriental communities (whom he served as honorary rabbi) and his familiarity with their traditions of custom and language, Melamed served as an important source on such community traditions. ” (EJ, 2007) Jacob Neusner's copy with his stamp. Has faded dust jacket. Very good condition. (BIBLE-7-5) (ID #21091) $100.00.
74. Morag, Shelomo and Issachar Ben-Ami. Editors. MEHKERE `EDOT U-GENIZAH. Jerusalem, Magnes: 1981.
Original Publisher’s Cloth. 341 pages.  pages of plates. illus. facsims. 23 cm. In Hebrew with added English title page. SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Yemen (Republic) -- History. Hebrew poetry, Medieval -- History and criticism. Cairo Genizah. Geniza-fragmenten. Sefarden. Cultuur. Named Person: Goitein, S. D., 1900- . Hebrew and Judeo-Arabic.Title translates to English as, “Studies in Geniza and Sepharadic Heritage: Presented to Shelomo Dov Goitein on the Occasion of his Eightieth Birthday by his Students, Colleagues, and Friends.” Includes bibliographical references. Lightly worn; very good condition in like jacket. (FEST1-54) (ID #27292) $50.00.
76. Nash, Stanley. editor. מגוון: מחקרים בספרות העברית ובגילוייה האמריקניים: מוגשים ליעקב
קבקוב במלאות לו שבעים שנה MIGVAN: MEHKARIM BA-SIFRUT HA-'IVRIT UVE-GILUYEHA HA-AMERIKANIYIM: . Lod, Habermann Institute, 1988. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 10, 519 pages. Ill. Port. 25 cm. In Hebrew. Title Cont: shiv'im shanah (Migvan - Studies in Hebrew Literature in Honor of Jacob Kabakoff). “Kabakov is a U. S. Educator and scholar specializing in Hebrew literature in America. ” (EJ) Ruth Adler: Image of the Woman as Treated Symbolically by Agnon; Meir Ben Horin: Jabotinsky-Exemplar of Chivalry; Yitshak Ben-Mordechai: Distilled Realism of Reuben Wallenrod; Warren Bargad: 3 Zionist Monologues: Agnon, Hazaz, Oz; Isaac Barzilay: Motif of Departure & Return in Modern Hebrew Literature; Nurit Govrin: Demand for 'Americanism' & its Realization in Amer Hebrew Lit; Emanuel Goldsmith: Aaron Zeitlin's Poetry on the Hurban; Menuha Gilboa: America as Place, Metaphor & Symbol in 3 Israeli Novels; Avner Holtzman: On Gabriel Preil's Poetry & the Plastic Arts; Shlomo Haramati: A. H. Friedland's Children's Stories: From the Didactic to the Artistic; Aryeh Wineman: Rabbi Nahman of Bratzlav: Stories & Dreams; Nahum Waldman: Evil in Modern Poetic Works on Biblical Themes; Shmuel Werses: Poet M. M. Dolitzky & His Novel 'Mi-Bayyit U'Mi-Hutz; Nahum Tarnor: Between a Nation & the Sea; Moshe Carmilly-Weinberger: Hungarian Hebrew Writers in America; Hayim Leaf: Exile & Redemption in P. Churgin's Publicistic Writings; Zvi Malachi: 19th Century Amer Jews in Hebrew Parody; Abraham Marthan: Tchernichowsky's Recourse to Myth; Stanley Nash: Reuben Brainin's Hebrew & Yiddish Creativity; Moshe Pelli: Travel Lit Genre: Shmuel Romanelli's Massa Ba-Arav; Yehuda Friedlander: Between Polemic & Satire: Israel of Zamosc's Nezed Ha-Dema. Includes index and bibliographies. "Kitve Ya? Ak? Ov K? Abak? Ov": pages 505-519. Very good condition. (FEST1-1) (ID #27238) (fest-4-4) (ID #16801) $25.00. xx
77. Neuman, Abraham A. . LANDMARKS AND GOALS: HISTORICAL STUDIES AND ADDRESSES. Philadelphia, Dropsie College Press, 1953. 1st Edition. Cloth, ; 8vo; 370 pages; From the personal library of Dr. Guido Ksich, one of the 20th Century's outstanding historians of German Jewry. Ex-library with usual marks. Cloth sunned but otherwise Very Good Condition (fest-4-3) (ID #17649) $30.00.
78. Passow, Isidore David and Samuel Tobias Lachs, editors. . GRATZ COLLEGE ANNIVERSARY VOLUME: ON THE OCCASION OF THE SEVENTY-FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FOUNDING OF THE COLLEGE 1895-1970. Philadelphia, Gratz College, 1971. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. X, 284, xxvi pages. Final Section in Hebrew. “Gratz College is the oldest independent college of Jewish studies in North America. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: "A Community's Involvement in Jewish Education, " Mitchell E. Panzer, "Problems of Pronunciation in Hebrew, " William Chomsky, "A Note on Disinterment in Jeremiah, "Morton Cogan, "Being Jewish: An Approach to Conceptualization and Operationalization, " Arnold Dashefsky, "The Ancestral Heritage of the Gratz Family, " Sidney M. Fish, "The Ransom clause of the Jewish Marriage Contract, " Mordechai A. Friedman, "Some Aspects of the Development of Ivrit BeIvrit in America, " Elazar Goelman, "Side Lights on Jewish Education from the cairo Geniza, " S. D. Goitein, "Vergil and the Bible World, " Cyrus H. Gordon, "Bishop to Bishop 1, "Solomon Grayzel, "Jewish Education in America-1971: An Analysis, "Daniel Isaacman, "Kes and Its Fate: Laments, Blessings, Omens, "Samuel Noah Kramer, "Option for Survival, " Samuel Kurland, "Midrash Hillel and Merkavah Mysticism, Samuel Tobias Lachs, "The First Yiddish Language Conference, " Isadore David Passow, "Rapoport's Contribution to Jewish Historiography, " Samuel Pitnik, "Seventy-Five Years in Jewish Music, " Claire Polin Schaff, "The restoration of Fragmentary Aramaic Marriage Contracts, " Bezalel Porten, "Inversions in Rashi's Commentary, " Esra Shereshevsky, "Rabbinic Homilies and Cognate Languages, " Nahum M. Waldman, Financial Arrangements for a Widow in a Cairo Geniza, " Gershon Weiss and three articles in Hebrew. Very good condition. (FEST1-9) (ID #27246) $30.00.
79. Philipson, David, ; 1862-1949. Neumark, David, ; 1866-1924. Morgenstern, Julian, ; 1881-1976.. STUDIES IN JEWISH LITERATURE, ISSUED IN HONOR OF PROFESSOR KAUFMANN KOHLER, PH.D., PRESIDENT HEBREW UNION COLLEGE, CINCINNATI, OHIO, ON THE OCCASION OF HIS SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY, MAY THE TENTH, NINETEEN HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN.. Berlin, G. Reimer,, 1913. . Paper wrappers, large 8vo. , 301 pages. In German and English. Beautifully printed frontis piece portrait of Kohler. Kohler (1843–1926) , was a “U. S. Reform rabbi and president of Hebrew Union College. Kaufmann Kohler was born in Fuerth, Bavaria, long known as a center of rabbinic learning, and was himself descended from rabbinic stock. He pursued rabbinical studies from an early age and in 1862 entered the gymnasium at Frankfurt. While in that city he came under the influence of Samson Raphael Hirsch , champion of Neo-Orthodoxy, and, though later diverging sharply from his viewpoint, never ceased to pay tribute to his influence. Kohler pursued his university studies at Berlin and Erlangen, receiving a doctorate in 1867. His university studies had shattered Kohler's Orthodoxy and his doctoral thesis, Der Segen Jacobs (1867) , took such a radical viewpoint that no rabbinic position was open to him. For a time he continued his studies at Leipzig with a view to entering the academic world, but, warmly recommended by the German Reform leader Abraham Geiger , Kohler accepted the office of rabbi of Congregation Beth El, Detroit (1869). In 1871 he moved to Sinai Congregation, Chicago (where he introduced Sunday services in 1874) , and in 1879 he succeeded his father-in-law, David Einhorn , at Temple Beth El, New York. Kohler emerged as a national champion of Reform Judaism in 1885 when, replying to attacks by Alexander Kohut , he published a series of sermons entitled Backward or Forward (1885). The outcome was his convening of the Pittsburgh Conference of Reform Rabbis and its adoption of a radical program on the basis of Kohler's draft. In 1903 Kohler was appointed president of Hebrew Union College and set about immediately to improve the curriculum and to bring fresh talent to the faculty. His dealings were not always diplomatic, and he was soon involved in a clash with several members of the faculty on the subject of Zionism, which he opposed. He became the chief spokesman for classical Reform. His major theological work was Jewish Theology Systematically and Historically Considered (1918; repub. 1968) , which traces Jewish thought from the perspective of 19th-century Reform Judaism. He revamped the curriculum, introduced biblical criticism and reduced the time spent on Talmud, but also held daily services and taught reverence through study. Under his presidency the College moved to a new, spacious setting. Upon his retirement, Kohler received the title of president emeritus (1921) and returned to New York. ” (Temkin & Berenbaum, EJ, 2007) Contents: Biographical sketch of Dr. K. Kohler by M. J. Kohler. --Kaufmann Kohler as reformer, by D. Philipson. --Dr. Kohler's systematic theology, by D. Neumark. --The Decalogue in art, by I. Abrahams. --Satzung vom Sinai, von W. Bacher. --Remarks on the importance of Zachariah as a prophet, by M. Buttenwieser. --Bemerkungen zur alten ju? Dischen Liturgie, von I. Elbogen. --Kawwana: the struggle for inwardness in Judaism, by H. G. Enelow. --The exodus in the Bible, by H. Englander. --The reformation of Hezekiah, by E. Frisch. --Die Zurechtweisung der Seele, von I. Goldziher. --Principles of religious instruction in Jewish schools, by L. Grossmann. --R. Moses 'Hayim Luzzato's "Pathof the righteous, " by E. G. Hirsch. --Die Ehe zwischen Onkel und Nichte, von S. Krauss. --The Sadducees and Pharisees. A study of their respective attitudes towards the law, by J. Z. Lauterbach. --Dreams as a cause of literary compositions, by H. Malter. --Josh. 4: 4, by M. L. Margolis. --The Levirate Marriage in Jewish law, by I. I. Mattuck. --Genesis 14, by J. Morgenstern. --Allegorische Gesetzesauslegung bei den a? Lteren Kara? Ern, von S. Poznanski. --Midrash fragment, by Solomon Schechter. --Bibliography of Rev. Kaufmann Kohler, by A. S. Oko. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Kohler, Kaufmann, 1843-1926. Missing back cover, spine repaired. First few pages creased at corner. PAGES UNCUT. Very Good condition. (RAB-43-8) (ID #24761) $30.00.
80. Pilch, Judah, editor. . PHILIP W LOWN: A JUBILEE VOLUME. New York, Bloch, 1967. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 130 pages. Port. 24 cm. Articleson Jewish education. “Lown (1890-1978) was an American businessman and philalnthropist of Jewish education. He served as a longtime board member, vice president, and president of the American Association for Jewish Education from 1950. He endowed a chair inJewish philosophy at Brandeis University and founded the Lown School of Near Eastern and Judaic Studies. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: The man and his work: Philip W. Lown, a biographical sketch, by O. I. Janowsky and J. S. Lown. Community endeavor in Jewish education, by A. S. Kohanski. Philip W. Lown and Jewish education, by J. Pilch. A citizen of the world Jewish community, by I. J. Kazis. With the Hillel foundations. By B. M. Kahn. --Essays and studies: Towards a philosophy of adult education, by H. M. Kallen. Theses on democracy, Judaism, and Jewish education, by M. Ben-orin. Notes on the relation of governments to Jewish day schools, by A. M. Dushkin. Writer and educator—Abraham Mapu, by E. Silberschlag. Ephraim Lisitsky: poet-educator, by S. M. Blumenfield. The task of prophecy-a midrash, by M. R. Konvitz. Nachman Krochmal, by A. I. Katsh. Ahad Ha-mist elements in Mordecai M. Kaplan's philosophy of Judaism, by S. Tabak. Includes bibliographical footnotes. Spine sunned. Very good condition. (FEST1-5) (ID #27242) $30.00.
81. Plesur, Milton. AN AMERICAN HISTORIAN: ESSAYS TO HONOR SELIG ADLER. Buffalo, State University Of New York, 1980. Softcover. 8vo. 244 pages. Pictorial blue wraps. A collection of history essays, reminiscences, recollections, and a bibliography, in honor of Prof. Selig Adler (1909-1984) of SUNY at Buffalo. Adler was a U. S. Historian specializing in American Jewish history. He was also the archivist for the Buffalo Jewish community archives that bear his name, which are located in the Butler Library at Buffalo Stat eCollege. Active in Jewish communal and cultural affairs, Adler was a member of the New York Kosher Law Advisory Board and of the executive board of the American Jewish Historical Society. Frontispiece of Dr. Adler. Very Good Condition. (FEST1-7) (ID #27244) $30.00.
82. Rapoport-Albert, Ada and Steven Zipperstein. JEWISH HISTORY: ESSAYS IN HONOUR OF CHIMEN ABRAMSKY. London, P. Halban, 1988. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xi, 700 pages. Ill. 23 cm. A collection of 28 essays on Jewish history by some of the leading Jewish studies academics. Abramsky was a noted scholar of Jewish History, Abramsky was also well-known as an expert on antiquarian Hebrew books and manuscripts. SUBJECT (S) : Jews – History. Jews -- Public opinion. Hasidism -- History. Zionism -- History. Joden. Judentum. Named Person: Abramsky, Chimen, 1916-2010. Jews, to 1986. Foreword by Isaiah Berlin. Includes bibliographical references. ISBN: 1870015193. Very good condition in like jacket. (FEST1-36) (ID #27274) $40.00.
83. Regensberg, Haim David. editor. גבעת שאול: קובץ מאמרים בהלכה ובחכמת ישראל מוגש להרב שאול זילבר GIV`AT SHAUL, KOVETS MAAMARIM BA-HALAKHAH UVE-HOKHMAT YISRAEL MUGASH LEHA-RAV SHAUL ZILBER. Chicago, [N. S. ], 1935. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 4to. 138, 50 pages. Port. 27 cm. In Hebrew and English. “Silber (1881–1946) was a Lithuanian-born Orthodox rabbi who grew to become a leader in American Zionist Orthodoxy. For 35 years, Silber was a role model for Orthodox Jewish life in Chicago and across the country. He differed from his peers in his fluent English, being well-versed in American history, literature and culture, and advocating a synthesis of secular and Talmud study. He also worked closely with non-Orthodox rabbis on communal matters. In his later years, Silber was a prominent member of Mizrachi, attending several World Zionist Congresses abroad. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: “Free government in ancient Israel, ” by I. H. Hertz; “The outlook of Greek culture upon Judaism, ” by I. Herzog; “Remarks on the Sabbatai Zevi movement, ” by S. Zeitlin; “Herzl and his philosophy, ” by M. Shulman. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Silber, Saul, 1881-1946. Added title page: “Gibeath Saul.” OCLC lists 25 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (FEST1-105) (ID #27341) $100.00.
84. Reichmann, Eva G. , Ed. . WORTE DES GEDENKENS FÜR LEO BAECK. Heidelberg, Lambert Schneider, 1959. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo; 263 pages; Primarily in German with some English. 9 sections to this moving memorial to Baeck (1873-1956) : Der Mann (11 essays, including pieces by Adolf Leschnitzer & H. G. Adler) , Das Werk (7 essays, including pieces by Hugo Bergmann & Max Gruenewald) , Der Rabbiner und Lehrer (9 essays, including a memorial tribute by Nelson Glueck) , Worte des Abschieds (24 essays & items including pieces by Robert Weltsch &Norman Bentwich) , Dokumente, a Tafel der Lebensdaten, a Quellenverzeichnus, and others. Very Good condition in Very Good Jacket (fest-4-11) (ID #17655) $50.00.
85. Reinharz, Jehuda. MYSTICS, PHILOSOPHERS, AND POLITICIANS: ESSAYS IN JEWISH INTELLECTUAL HISTORY IN HONOR OF ALEXANDER ALTMANN. Durham, N. C. , Duke University Press, 1982. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xii, 372 pages. Port. 25 cm. Series: Duke Monographs in Medieval and Renaissance Studies, No. 5. “Altmann (1906–1987) was a rabbi, teacher, and scholar, [whose] father and family died in Auschwitz, together with his wife and other members of his family. ” (EJ) He is best known for his studies of the thought of Moses Mendelssohn, and was indeed the leading Mendelssohn scholar since the time of Mendelssohn himself. He also made important contributions to the study of Jewish mysticism, and for a large part of his career he was the only scholar in the United States working on this subject in a purely academic setting. CONTENTS: “Alexander Altmann: a Portrait, ” Daniel Swetschinski; “Merkavah speculation at Qumran: the 4Q Serekh Shirot 'Olat ha-Shabbat, ” Lawrence H. Schiffman; “Moses and the law according to Maimonides, ” Kalman P. Bland; “Maimonides on possibility, ” Alfred L. Ivry; “Principles of Judaism in Maimonides and Joseph ibn Caspi, ” Barry Mesch; “The Jewish philosophical critique of transubstantiation, ” Daniel J. Lasker; “The absolute freedom of the divine will in the philosophy of Abraham Bibago, ” Allan Lazaroff; “Maggidic revelation in the teachings of Isaac Luria, ” Lawrence Fine; “‘How profitable the nation of the Jews are’: the humble addresses of Menasseh ben Israel and the Discorso of Simone Luzzatto, ” Benjamin Ravid; “Rabbi Nahman Bratslaver's journey to the land of Israel, ” Arthur Green; “From patriot to Israelite: Abraham Furtado in revolutionary France, ” Frances Malino; “Ethnicity and Jewish solidarity in nineteenth-century France, ” Phyllis Cohen Albert; “Leadership and charisma: the case of Theodor Herzl, ” Jehuda Reinharz and Shulamit Reinharz; “Rosenzweig and Kant: two views of ritual and religion, ” Paul R. Mendes-Flohr. SUBJECT(S) : Jewish philosophy. Philosophy, Medieval. Mysticism -- Judaism. Jews -- France -- Identity. Renaissance. Philosophie juive. Philosophie médiévale. Mysticisme -- Judaïsme. Juifs -- France -- Identité. Jodendom. Filosofie. Herzl, Theodor, 1860-1904. Altmann, Alexander, 1906- "Bibliography of Alexander Altmann's writings": pages -354. Includes bibliographical references and indexes. Very good condition. (FEST1-59) (ID #27297) $65.00.
86. Rosenthal, Judah, editor. ספר היובל מאיר וכסמן : למלאת לו שבעים וחמש שנה SEFER HA-YOVEL, MEIR VAKSMAN: LI-MELOT LO SHIV`IM VA-HAMESH SHANAH = MEYER WAXMAN, JUBILEE VOLUME: ON THE OCCASION OF HIS SEVENTY-FIFTH BIRTHDAY. Chicago, Ha-Midrashah Le-Limude Ha-Yahadut, 1966. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 274, 153 pages. 25 cm. In Hebrew and English. CONTENTS: “Bibliography of the writings of Professor Meyer Waxman, ” by L. Y. Mishkin; “Mystic experience and Elijah-revelation in Talmudic times, ” by J. Cohn; “Freedom and determinism in Jewish theology, ” by S. S. Cohon; “Wladyslaw Dzwonkowski, an ‘enlightened’ towianist, on the Jewish problem, 1862, ” by A. G. Duker; “A new poem by Joseph Abiter, ” by A. J. Katsh; “The religious and psychological motives in the Halacha of Rabbi Yohanan and Resh Lakish, ” by I. Epstein; “Historical implications of the Ethics of the Fathers, ” by C. Roth; “A note on the Guide for the perplexed, ” by D. S. Shapiro; “The informer as a defendant in Jewish criminal procedure, ” by P. H. Vishny; “Judah Halevi on causality and miracles, ” by H. A. Wolfson. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Jewish philosophy. Rabbinical literature -- History and Criticism. Waxman, Meyer, 1887-1969. "Yehudah Rozental, `orekh rashi"—page . Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition in good jacket. (FEST1-44). Xx (ID #27282) $45.00.
87. Sanders, James A. editor. NEAR EASTERN ARCHAEOLOGY IN THE TWENTIETH CENTURY: ESSAYS IN HONOR OF NELSON GLUECK. Garden City, NY, Doubleday, 1970. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xxiv, 406 pages ills. Maps, plans, port. 25 cm. CONTENTS: Foreword: "This is for a celebration ..." by J. A. Sanders; Preface: “The mind of Nelson Glueck, ” by F. Bamberger; Introduction: “The phenomenon of American archaeology in the Near East, ” by G. E. Wright. James Henry Breasted; “The idea of an oriental institute, ” by J. A. Wilson. “The phenomenon of Israeli archaeology, ” by W. F. Albright. “On right and wrong uses of archaeology, ” by R. De Vaux; The Bronze Age – “The beginnings of urbanization in Canaan, ” by R. Amiran. “Palestine in the early Bronze Age, ” by P. W. Lapp. “The ‘Middle Bronze I’ period in Syria and Palestine, ” by W. G. Dever. “Northern Canaan and the Mari texts, ” by A. Malamat. “The saltier of Atargatis reconsidered, ” by M. H. Pope. The Iron Age – “Symbols of deities at Zinjirli, Carthage and Hazor, ” by Y. Yadin. “Israelite Jerusalem, ” by K. M. Kenyon. “New aspects of the Israelite occupation in the north, ” by Y. Aharoni. The Megiddo stables, a reassessment, ” by J. B. Pritchard. The scripts in Palestine and Transjordan in the Iron Age, ” by J. Naveh. Ammonite and Moabite seals, ” by N. Avigad; The Persian period and beyond – “The cave inscriptions from Khirbet Beit Lei, ” by F. M. Cross, Jr; “New excavations at Sardis and some problems of western Anatolian archaeology, ” by G. M. A. Hanfmann and J. C. Waldbaum; “Another deity with Dolphins? ” By R. D. Barnett; “Archaeology and Babylonian Jewry, ” by J. Neusner and J. Z. Smith; “A sequence of pottery from Petra, ” by P. J. Parr. Bibliography of Nelson Glueck, ” by E. K. Vogel (pages -394). SUBJECT(S) : Bijbelse archeologie. Glueck, Nelson, 1900-1972 -- Bibliography. Middle East -- Antiquities. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition in GOOD+ jacket. (FEST1-60) (ID #27298) $30.00.
88. Sanua, Victor, editor. . FIELDS OF OFFERINGS: STUDIES IN HONOR OF RAPHAEL PATAI. 1983. Original Publisher's Cloth. 8vo. 327, xx pages. 24 cm. In English with two articles in Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- Folklore. Zionism -- History. Cultuur. Joden. Bibliographie Zionismus Aufsatzsammlung Volksliteratur Patai, Raphael, 1910-1996. Juden. "Hebrew section": pages iii-xx. Includes bibliographical references. Preface by Sanua. Articles are "Raphael Patai: An Appreciation," Howard M. Sachar, "The Oeuvre of Raphael Patai," Haim Schwartzbaum, "Bibliography of the Published Writings of Rapael Patai," compiled by Gertrude Hirschler, "The Idea of Folklore: An Essay," Dan Ben-Amos, "The Jewish Theodicy Legend," Dov Noy, "Mythology, Folklore, and Tradition: Studies in Yiddish Etymology," Robert Gordis, "The Moment of Desires,: Alexander Schreiber, "A Jewish Moses Legend of Islamic Provenance," Schwarzbaum, "The Woman with the Animal Face: The Emergence of a Jewish Fairy Tale," Aliza Shenhar, "The Magic Bird," Moshe Carmilly, "The Jew as a Literary Hero," Livia Jackson-Bitton, "Anthropology: A Case Study in Holoocaust Blindness?" Ailon Shiloh, "Syrian Jews in New York Twenty Years Ago," Walter P. Zenner, "The 'Young Turks' and Zionism," Jacob M. Landau, "Herzl's Diaries: A Case of Selectivity in Dealing with Historical Documents," Joseph Nedava, "Israel: A View from Lebanon," Meir Ben-Horin, "Haim Arlozorov," Simha Kling, "The Orthodox Bloc of Israel: The Early Years," Joseph Adler, "A Jewish Childhood in Cairo," Sanua, "War and Peace: The Theoretical Structure of Israelite Society," Cyrus H. Gordon, "Women, the Law, and the Ancient Near East," Savina J. Teubal, "Why Did Moses Strike the Rock? A Psychoanalytic Study," Dorothy F. Zeliks, "spirit Possession in Eighteenth-Century Italy," Gedalia Nigal, "A Strange Seder Custom and Its Origin," Tuvya Preschal. Very good condition. (FEST1-26).xx (ID #27264) $30.00.
89. Scheiber, Alexander. JUBILEE VOLUME IN HONOUR OF BERNHARD HELLER ON THE OCCASION OF HIS 70TH BIRTHDAY.. Budapest, [S. N. ], 1941. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 326, 132 pages.  leaves of plates. ill. Port. 24 cm. Articles in Hungarian, German, English, French and Hebrew. SUBJECT (S) : Judaism -- History. Jews -- Hungary. Bibliographie Judentum Aufsatzsammlung Heller, Bernát, 1871-1943. Bible. O. T. -- Criticism, Interpretation, etc. Added Hebrew Title Page: “Sefer ha-yovel li-Profesor Dov Heler. ” Added Hungarian Title Page: “Emlékknyv Heller Bernát, Professor hetvenedik Születésnapjára. ” Includes bibliographical references. “In collaboration with his friends, admirers and pupils edited by Alexander Scheiber. ” Spine sunned with tape label affixed. Very good condition. (FEST1-41). (ID #27279) $50.00.
90. Schindler, Bruno and Arthur Marmorstein, editors. . OCCIDENT AND ORIENT: BEING STUDIES IN SEMITIC PHILOLOGY AND LITERATURE, JEWISH HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY AND FOLKLORE IN THE WIDEST SENSE, IN HONOUR OF HAHAM DR. M. GASTER'S 80TH BIRTHDAY.. London, Taylor’s Foreign Press, 1936. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 4to. Ix-xviii, 570 pages illus. 8plates. 26 cm. “Gaster (1856–1939) was a rabbi, scholar, and Zionist leader whose writings covered many branches of learning, including Romanian literature, comparative and Jewish folklore, Samaritan history and literature, rabbinic scholarship, liturgy, Anglo-Jewish history, and biblical studies. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Semitic philology. Gaster, Moses, 1856-1939. Gaster Anniversary Volume. (FEST1-4) (ID #27241) $135.00.
91. Schmauch, Werner, editor. IN MEMORIAM ERNST LOHMEYER. Stuttgart, Evangelisches Verlagswerk, 1951. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 375 pages. Illus. Ports. 22 cm. In German. Includes articles from various authors. Lohmeyer (1890–1946) was a German scholar of the New Testament, evangelic theologian and Bible professor. He opposed the Nazis and all related fascist impulses within the German church and society from their onset in the early 1930s. He demonstrated his friendship and solidarity with Jewish professors Martin Buber and Jonas Cohn, in an era of strong antisemitism. Lohmeyer wrote to Martin Buber in 1933 that "the Christian faith is only Christian as long as it retains in its heart the Jewish faith. " SUBJECT(S) : Theology. Lohmeyer, Ernst, 1890-1946 -- Bibliography. Includes bibliographical references. "Bibliographie, Ernst Lohmeyer (Von ihm selbst hinterlassen, vom Herausgeber ergänzt) ": pages -375. Very good condition. (FEST1-33) (ID #27271) $30.00.
92. Scholem, Gershom, Et Al. . STUDIES IN MYSTICISM AND RELIGION. MEHKARIM BA-KABALAH UVE-TOLDOT HA-DATOT.. Jerusalem: Magnes Press. , 1967. . Cloth. , Large 8vo. 387, 235 pages. First edition. Frontispiece tipped-in photograph of Scholem. In English and Hebrew. Presented to Gershom G. Scholem on his Seventieth Birthday by Pupils Colleagues and Friends. Includes bibliographical references and index. SUBJECT (S) : Religion. Mysticism. Mysticism -- Judaism. Religion. Mysticisme. Mysticisme -- Judaïsme. Scholem is one of the towering figures of modern Jewish scholarship. This volume contains 16 essays in English, 5 in German, 4 in French, and 12 in Hebrew by distinguished scholars from all over the world, plus a bibliography of Scholem’s works. Very good condition in good jacket. (RAB-6-7) (ID #21444) $75.00. xxx
93. Shakhevits, Boaz and Menahem Peri, editors. יןספר היובל לשמעון הלק SEFER HA-YOVEL LE-SHIM`ON HALKIN: BE-MAL'OT LO SHIV`IM VE-HAMESH SHANIM/ SIMON HALKIN JUBILEE VOLUME. Jerusalem, R. Mas, 1975. Original publisher’s cloth. Royal 8vo. 846 pages. In Hebrew. “Halkin (1898–1987) was a Hebrew poet, novelist, and educator. In his works, metaphysical flights coalesce with earthly desires. ” (EJ) Twenty-six articles divided into five sections. I: “Simon Halkin, the Man and His work. ” II: “On Halkin's Poetry and Prose. ” III: “Studies in Post-Biblical, Medieval and Renaissance Hebrew Literature. ” IV: “Aspects of Modern Hebrew Literature. ” V: “On some Classics of World Literature. ” Very good condition. (FEST1-2) (ID #27239) $35.00.
94. Silberman, Curt C) Strauss, Herbert Arthur; Reissner, Hanns Gunther, editors. JUBILEE VOLUME DEDICATED TO CURT C. SILBERMAN.. 1969. . Cloth, New York, American Federation of Jews from Central Europe, . 8vo. Xii, 132 pages. Frontis portrait. Geleitwort des Präsidenten des Council of Jews from Germany, by S. Moses. -Editor's note, by H. A. Strauss. -The three regions of German-Jewish history, by W. J. Cahnman. -From Kiev via Brody to Pankow, by F. Grubel. -Facing the people, by M. Gruénewald. -Services to the Jewish aged in North America, by K. G. Herz. -Sacred tradition in Judaism, by J. Maier. -Germans and Jews-is there a bridge? By J. Prinz. -The American anti-Nazi boycott, by H. G. Reissner. -Missverstandenes Schlussgesetz, by A. Schueler. -A note on the nature of ideal society-a rabbinic study, by S. Schwarzschild. -Nicht vom Winde verweht: Zwischenbilanz einer Flüchtlingsgeneration, by H. Steinitz. -Immortality in the Bible, by H. Stransky. -Liberalism and conservatism in Prussian legislation for Jewish affairs, 1815-1847, by H. A. Strauss. SUBJECT (S) : Jews - Germany - History. Gilt lettering to spine and cover. Very minor bumping to edges. Ex-library with usual markings. In Very Good condition. (FEST-2-13). (ID #17693) $25.00.
95. Silver, Daniel Jeremy. IN THE TIME OF : ESSAYS IN HONOR OF ABBA HILLEL SILVER ON THE OCCASION OF HIS 70TH BIRTHDAY. New York, MacMillan, 1963. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 4to. Viii, 459 pages. Port. 26 cm. Contributors include David Ben Gurion, Izhak Ben-Zevi, and Abba Eban. Silver (1893–1963) was a U. S. Reform rabbi and Zionist leader. He founded the Dr. Herzl Zion Club, a Hebrew-speaking group which evolved into Young Judaea, the first Zionist youth organization in the U. S. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Jews -- History. Named Person: Silver, Abba Hillel, 1893-1963. "A bibliography of the writings of Abba Hillel Silver": pages -120. Bibliographical footnotes. Very good condition in worn but good pictorial slipcase. (FEST1-34) (ID #27272) $30.00.
96. Steinberg, Aaron, editor. . SIMON DUBNOW, THE MAN AND HIS WORK: A MEMORIAL VOLUME ON THE OCCASION OF THE CENTENARY OF HIS BIRTH, (1860-1960). = SIMON DUBNOV, L'HOMME ET SON OEUVRE.. Paris, French Section Of The World Jewish Congress, 1963. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 256 pages. Port. 25 cm. In French and English with some Hebrew and Yiddish. Dubnow (1860–1941) was a historian and political ideologist who focused on Jewish history. CONTENTS: “La vie de Simon Dubnov, ” by S. Erlich-Dubnov; “World dimensions of Jewish history, ” by S. W. Baron; “On Dubnow's conception of Jewish history, ” by M. Ginsberg; “History, sociology and ideology, ” by N. Rotenstreich; “Dubnov: sa methode et son accomplissement, ” by R. Mahler; “Dubnow's autonomism and his Letters on old and new Judaism, ” by J. Lestschinsky; “Migration problems in Dubnow's theory of Jewish nationalism, ” by A. Tartakower; “Dubnow's assessment of the Reform movement of German Jewry, ” by I. Maybaum; “Moses Mendelssohn and his followers in Dubnow's presentation, ” by H. I. Bach; “Dubnow's presentation of Sephardi Jewry, ” by H. J. Zimmels; “Simon Dubnow and the history of political Zionism by J. Fraenkel; “L'attitude de Dubnow envers l'hébreu et yiddich, ” by S. Auerbach; “Come Dubnow ha trattato la storia dell'ebraismo italiano, ” by D. Lattes; “The historian of Russian Jewry, ” by S. Levenberg; “Dubnow on Anglo-Jewish history, ” by V. D. Lipman; “Simon Dubnow's Darstellung des deutschen Judentums, ” by H. L. Goldschmidt; “L'appréciation de la Révolution française et du Premier Empire dans l'oeuvre de Dubnov, ” by A. Neher; “L'autobibliographie de Simon Dubnov (pages 225-255). SUBJECT(S) : Judeus (história). Dubnow, Simon, 1860-1941. Dubnov, Semen M. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition. (FEST1-46) (ID #27284) $30.00.
97. The American Academy For Jewish Research. LOUIS GINZBERG: JUBILEE VOLUME ON THE OCCASION OF HIS SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY (COMPLETE IN TWO VOLUMES). New York, The American Academy For Jewish Research, 1946. Original Paper Wrappers. 8vo. Ix, 446; ix, 446 pages. Front port. 24 cm. In English and Hebrew. “Ginzberg (1873–1953) was one of the outstanding Talmud scholars of the first half of the 20th century; leader and the major halakhic authority of the Conservative movement in North America. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: Goldman, Solomon. The portrait of a teacher. --Cohen, Boaz. Bibliography of the writings of Prof. Louis Ginzberg. --Albright, W. F. The list of Levitic cities. --Baron, S. W. Levi Herzfeld, the first Jewish economic historian. --Bickerman, E. J. The date of Fourth Maccabees. --Cohen, Boaz. Civil bondage in Jewish and Roman law. --Efros, Israel. Saadyah's second theory of creation in its relation to Pythagoreanism and Platonism. --Gandz, Solomon. Complememtary fractons in Bible and Talmud. --Ginsberg, H. L. Psalms and inscriptions of petition and acknowledgement. --Gordis, Robert. Studies in the relationship of Biblical and rabbinic Hebrew. --Kisch, Guido. SUBJECT(S) : Jewish literature. Ginzberg, Louis, 1873-1953. Relations between Jewish and Christian courts in the Middle Ages. --Marcus, Ralph. Jewish and Greek elements in the Septuagint. --Marmorstein, A. The introduction of R. Hoshaya to the first chapter of Genesis rabba. --Neuman, A. A. The Shebet Yehudah and sixteenth century historiography. --Sonne, Isaiah. The schools of Shammai and Hillel seen from within. --Sperber, Alexander. Specimen of a Targum edition. --Spiegel, Shalom. Noah, Daniel, and Job, touching on Cannaanite relics in the legends of the Jews. --Strauss, Leo. Farabi's Plato. --Torrey, C. C. A revised view of First Esdras. --Wolfson, H. A. Maimonides on negatives attributes. Wrappers worn at edges and along spine, but still solid. Non-archival tape on spine of Hebrew volume. Internal pages are nice and clean; binding is tight. Overall, very good condition. (FEST1-50) (ID #27288) $125.00.
97a. Hebrew Section only of same title. (FEST1-50a) (ID #27386) $80.00.
98. Tramer, Hans. editor. IN ZWEI WELTEN: SIEGFRIED MOSES ZUM FÜNFUNDSIEBZIGSTEN GEBURTSTAG. Tel-Aviv, Verlag Bitaon, 1962. Original Publisher’s Cloth. Royal 8vo. 650, 22 pages. Port. 25 cm. In German. “Siegfried Moses (1887 –1974) was a German Zionist leader and Israel public official. He was a member of the Jewish Agency Delegation to the United Nations in 1947 and in 1949 was appointed Israel's first State Comptroller, a post which he held until his retirement in 1961.” (EJ) "Muster ordnender Productivät, " Kurt Blumenfeld, "Siegfreid Moses' Entwicklung und Stellung im KJV, " Georg Herlitz, "Deutscher Zionismus in der Rüchschau, " Robert Weltsch, "Einige Bemerkungen über den deutschen Zionismus nach 1933, " Benno Cohn, "Der zionistische Rabbiner, " Kurt Wilhelm, "Funktionäre im Zionismus, " Kurt Loewenstein, "Vergleichende Bemerkungen zur Gestaltung des jüdischen Organiationslebens in Deuthschland und England, " Walter Breslauer, "Die Gründung der Reichsvertretung, " Hugo Hahn, "Die Reichsvertetung der deutschen Juden, " Friedrich S. Brodnitz, " Franz Meyer, "Ordnung in der Auflösung, " Kurt Tuchler, "Vermögentransfer nach Palästina 193-1939, " Ludwig Pinner, "Der erste Staatskontrolleur von Israel-sein Weg und sein Werk, " Heinz Gerling, "Aus der Gründungszeit des Council of Jews from Germany, " Herman Muller, "Siegfried Moses and the United Restitution Organisation, " Norman Betwich, "Aus der Vorzeit der kollektiven Wiedergutmachung, " Schalom Adler-Rudel, "Ein Baustein zur Geschichte der Wiedergutmachung, " Walter Schwarz, "Konzeption und Grundlage der Wiedergutmachung, " Felix Elieser Shinnar, "Biblische Quellen zur Staatsverwaltung im Alten Israel, " Elias Auerbach, "Neue wirtschaftliche Entwicklungen in Israel, " Yeshayahu Foerder, "Aus Erinnerungen an die Jahre 1939-1948, " Pinhas F. Rosen, "Kulturelle Problemem und Aufgabe der Juden aus Deutschland in Israel seit 1933, " Curt Wormann, "Zur Krise der Kibbuz-Bewegung, " Gerda Luft, "Zur Literatur der letzten Kabbalisten in Deutschland, " Gershom Scholem, "Hermann Cohens Begriff der Korrelation, " Alexandedr Altmann, "Aus unveröffentlichen Briefen von I. M. Jost, " Nahum N. Glatzer, "Priester, Opfer und Arzt Zu den Briefen Wolfskehls, Kafkas und Freunds, " Ernst Simon, "Der Gestaltwandel Ahsvers, " Adolf Leschnitzer, "Von der Stadt und den Städten, " Max Grunewald, "Juden als Bankiers-ihre völkerverbindende Tätigkeit, " Frederick H. Brunner… SUBJECT(S) : Jews. Named Person: Moses, Siegfried, b. 1887 Added title page in Hebrew. Bibliographical footnotes. Very good condition. (FEST1-35) (ID #27273) $35.00.
99. Various. FESTSCHRIFT FÜR LEO BAECK: ZUM 25. JAHRESTAGE SEINER TÄTIGKEIT AN DER LEHRANSTALT FÜR DIE WISSENSCHAFT DES JUDENTUMS. Berlin, Schocken Verlag, 1938. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 181 pages. Port. 23 cm. In German. Title translates to English as, “Festschrift for Leo Baeck on the 25th Anniversary of his work at the School of Jewish Studies. ” “Baeck (1873–1956) was a German rabbi, religious thinker and leader of Progressive Judaism. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: “Chazor in den Briefen von Tell el-Amarna, ” Eugen Täubler; “Zu Motivproblemen in der Bibel, ” Moses Sister; “Die Stilmittel im Deuteronomium, ” Gustav Ormann; “Der Minhag der Bibel im Spiegelbild des Talmuds, ” Alexander Guttmann; “Die Uberlieferung von Hillel, ” Ismar Elbogen; “Zur Analyse des Mischnatraktates Middot, ” Arthur Spanier; “Bibel und klassisches Altertum im englischen Hochmittelalter, ” Hans Liebeschütz; “Der Dekalog in Josef Albos dogmatischem System, ” Max Wiener; “Vom ontologischen Gottesbeweis, ” Hans Friedländer; “Schaffen und Schöpfung als rechtliche Kategorien, ” Friedrich Caro; “Zur Erklärung einiger jüdischer Namen, ” Jechiel Fischer; “Zur Herkunft des altsemitischen Alphabets, ” Ernst Grumach; “Zur Frage der Bildung des arabischen Elativs, ” Franz Rosenthal. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Semitic philology. Baeck, Leo, 1873-1956. Includes bibliographical references. Spine sunned and lightly worn. Very good condition. (FEST1-23) (ID #27261) $65.00.
100. Vereinigung Jüdischer Hochschüler Aus Galizienjudentum. . JÜDISCHER ALMANACH. 5670: HERAUSGEGEBEN AUS ANLASS DES 25-SEMESTRIGEN JUBILÄUMS VON DER VEREINIGUNG JÜDISCHER HOCHSCHÜLER AUS GALAZIEN BAR-KOCHBA IN WIEN.. Vienna, Judischer Verlag GMBH, 1910. . Cloth. 4to. 215 pages. Ill. 27 cm. In German. Published on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Association of Jewish semester high school students from Galazien Bar Kokhba in Vienna. Original cloth covers with illustration from Jakob Stark. Decorative end pages. SUBJECT (S) : Geschichte. Aufsatzsammlung. Juden. Judentum. Anthologie. OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. Light wear to cover, especially along the spine, but still nice. Inscription from previous owner on front end page and title page; otherwise internal pages are nice and clean. Very good condition. (SPEC16-28). (ID #26842) $75.00.
101. Vermès, Géza. JOURNAL OF JEWISH STUDIES. ESSAYS IN HONOUR OF YIGAEL YADIN. Oxford, The Oxford Centre For Postgraduate Hebrew Studies, 1982. Original Softcover. 8vo. Xvi, 600 pages. Ill. Port. 24 cm. In English, French and German. S“Yadin (1917–1984) was an Israeli archaeologist; second chief of staff, and politician, member of the Ninth Knesset. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Judaism -- History -- Post-exilic period, 586 B. C. -210 A. D. Jews -- History -- 168 B. C. -135 A. D. Jews -- History -- 70-1789. Rabbinical literature -- History and criticism. Jewish literature -- History and criticism. Judaïsme. Yadin, Yigael, 1917-1984. Geographic: Palestine -- Antiquities. Naher Osten. Bible. O. T. -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. “Festschrift published on the occasion of Yadin's 65th birthday. ” Includes bibliographical references. "Bibliography of Yigael Yadin": pages: xi-xvi. Very good condition. (FEST1-39) (ID #27277) $40.00.
102. Walter, Jacob, Frederick C. Schwartz and Vigdor Kavaler. editors. ESSAYS IN HONOR OF SOLOMON B. FREEHOF. Pittsburgh, Rodef Shalom Congregation, 1964. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. X, 333 pages. Ports. 24 cm. Freehof (1892–1990) was a U. S. Reform rabbi, scholar and liturgist. He served as President of the Central Conference of American Rabbis from1943 to 1945 and was the leading Reform scholar on responsa. CONTENTS: "The writings of Solomon B. Freehof": pages 53-93. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Freehof, Solomon Bennett, b. 1892. "The writings of Solomon B. Freehof": pages 53-93. Includes bibliographical references. “Presented by the Rodef Shalom Congregation on the occasion of his seventieth birthday, August 8, 1962.” Spine sunned, bookplate on inside cover Otherwise, very good condition. (FEST1-18). Xx (ID #27256) $25.00.
103. Wieder, Naphtali). REVUE DE L’HISTOIRE DES RELIGIONS. Presses Universitaires De France, 0. . Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 74 pages. In French. Periodical. This particular issue is titled “Compte rendu de l’ouvrage de Naphtali Wieder: The Judean Scrolls and Karaism. ” (MX13-18) (ID #21359) $30.00.
104. Wiener Maimonides-Institut ; Kaminka, Armand, 1866-1950. FESTSCHRIFT ARMAND KAMINKA : ZUM SIEBZIGSTEN GEBURTSTAGE.. Wien : Wiener Maimonides-Institut,, 1937. Paper Wrappers, Large 8vo. , xv, 148, 58 pages. In German, Italian and Hebrew. Includes frontis piece portrait. Series: Schriften des Wiener Maimonides-Instituts; Includes writings by Moritz Bauer, Martin Buber, Umberto Cassuto, and others. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Hebrew literature. Kaminka, Armand, 1866-1950. Note(s) : Includes bibliographical references. Kaminka (1866-1950) was a “rabbi and scholar. Kaminka, who was born in Berdichev, studied at the universities of Berlin and Paris as well as at the orthodox Rabbinerseminar in Berlin and the Lehranstalt fuer die Wissenschaft des Judentums in Berlin. His first appointment was as rabbi at Frankfurt on the Oder, then as preacher at the Reform temple in Prague (1893–97). After serving as chief rabbi of Esseg (Osyek) , Slavonia (1897–1900) , he moved to Vienna where he became secretary of the Israelitische Allianz (whose history he described in Haolam, 35 (1948) , nos. 1–11). In 1903 Kaminka was sent by the Israelitische Allianz to Kishinev to investigate the pogrom that had taken place there that April. He also taught Talmud, philosophy, and history at the bet hamidrash of I. H. Weiss (1901–04) , as well as at the community's religious teachers' training college. In 1924 Kaminka founded Maimonides College (for the spreading of Jewish knowledge among Viennese Jewry) , and from 1926 lectured on Talmud and Jewish philosophy at the University of Vienna. With the annexation of Austria by Hitler in 1938, Kaminka settled in Palestine. ” (Grill, EJ, 2007) Rebound in modern paper wrappers, with original front cover. Original cover chipped. Good + condition. (RAB-43-11) (ID #24763) $50.00.
105. Wigoder, Geoffrey, editor. CONTEMPORARY JEWRY: STUDIES IN HONOR OF MOSHE DAVIS. [Jerusalem], Institute Of Contemporary Jewry, Hebrew University Of Jerusalem, 1984. Original Publisher’s Cloth. Large 8vo. 269, 162 pages.  leaf of plates. 25 cm. In English and Hebrew. “Davis (1916–1996) was an American historian and educator, ordained a rabbi at the Jewish Theological Seminary in 1942. He was the first American to receive a doctoral degree from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (1945). ” (EJ) Subjects: Davis, Moshe. Jews--United States--History. Jews--History--1789-1945. Title on added title page: “`Iyunimbe-Yahadut zemanenu. ” Includes bibliographical references. Very goodcondition. (FEST1-11) (ID #27248) $30.00.
106. Wolf, Ernst. editor. LIBERTAS CHRISTIANA: FRIEDRICH DELEKAT ZUM 65. GEBURTSTAG. Munich, C. Kaiser, 1957. Original Publisher’s Softcover. 8vo. 248 pages. Port. 23 cm. In German. Series: Beitra? Ge zur evangelischen Theologie, Bd. 26. SUBJECT (S) : Theology. Generalities; religion; Christianity; Protestantism; general surveys. Algemeen; godsdienstleer en godsdienstgeschiedenis; bijbelse godsdiensten; christendom; protestantisme; algemeen. Bibliographie Delekat, Friedrich, 1892- . "Bibliographia Delekatiana": pages 240-248. Includes bibliographical references. Pages lightly browned, but not fragile. Very good condition. (FEST1-48) (ID #27286) $30.00.
107. Yadin, Yigael. editor. ארץ־ישראל: מחקרים בידיעת הארץ ועתיקותיה. ספר חמישי. מוגש לבנימין מזר במלאת לו חמישים שנה ERETS-YISRAEL: MEHQARIM BI-YDI`AT HA-ARETS VE-`ATIQOTEHA : SEFER HAMISHI: MUGASH LE-BINYAMIN MAZAR BE-MALUT LO HAMISHIM SHANA. [ERETZ-ISRAEL: ARCHAEOLOGICAL, HISTORICAL AND GEOGRAPHICAL STUDIES, VOL. 5: DEDICATED TO PROFESSOR BENJAMIN MAZAR ON HIS FIFTIETH BIRTHDAY Jerusalem, Israel Exploration Society, 1958. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 4to. 259, 26, 97 pages. Ill. 30 cm. In Hebrew with summaries in English. Series: Eretz-Israel, v. 5. Publications of the Israel Exploration Society. SUBJECT(S) : Mazar, Benjamin, 1906-1995. Israel -- Antiquities. Very good condition in good jacket. (FEST1-14). Xx (ID #27251) $30.00.
108. Zevin, Shelomoh, Yosef. editor. מזכרת : קובץ תורני לזכר יצחק אייזיק הלוי הרצוג MAZKERET: KOVETS TORANI LE-ZEKHER ... YITSHAK AYZIK HA-LEVI HERTSOG. Jerusalem, Hekhal Shelomoh, 1962. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 605 pages. Facs. 25 cm. In Hebrew. “Herzog 1888–1959) , rabbinic scholar; chief rabbi of Israel. Before, during, and after World War II Herzog was one of the representatives of Palestinian and world Jewry to the various conferences and commissions organized to find a solution to the Arab-Jewish conflict over Palestine. He set forth the Jewish spiritual claims to the Holy Land and stressed the need of a refuge for the survivors of the Holocaust. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Jewish law. Herzog, Isaac, 1888-1959. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition. (FEST1-53) (ID #27291) $100.00.
109. Zimmels, Hirsch Jacob, J. Rabbinowitz and I. Finestein. editors. ESSAYS PRESENTED TO CHIEF RABBI ISRAEL BRODIE ON THE OCCASION OF HIS SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY (TWO VOLUMES). London, Soncino Press, 1966. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 4to. 2 volumes. 423, 275 pages. Ill. Ports. 26 cm. Volume One in English; Volume Two in Hebrew. Series: Jews' College, London. Publications; New Series, No. 3. “Brodie (1895–1979) was chief rabbi of the British Commonwealth from 1948 to 1965 and a dedicated Zionist who recognized the centrality of Israel to contemporary Jewish life. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Judaism – History, Essays. Jewish law. Brodie, Israel, Sir, 1895-1979. Vol. Two “ha-helek ha-`Ivri” has title: “Sefer ha-yovel: Tiferet Yisrael. ” Bibliographical footnotes. Bookplates on inside covers. Very good condition. (FEST1-20) (ID #27258) $50.00.
110. Zupnik, Israel. ישראל עושה חיל : ...מוקדש ל...ישראל זופניק למלאות לו שבעים שנה YISRAEL OSEH H AYIL: ... MUKDASH LE ... YISRA EL ZUPNIK LI-MELOT LO SHIVIM SHANAH. Jerusalem, Orthodox Jewish Institutions In Israel And The United States, 1975. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 4to. 58, 420 pages. 1 leaf of plates. Ill. 28 cm. In Hebrew. Title translates to English as, “Israel doing well: ... Dedicated to ... Israel Sopnik Seventy Years. ” SUBJECT(S) : Rabbis -- United States -- Biography. Satmar Hasidim. Jews -- Charities. OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (FEST1-107) (ID #27343) $100.00.
111. Kohut, George Alexander. Editor. JEWISH STUDIES IN MEMORY OF ISRAEL ABRAHAMS BY THE FACULTY AND VISITING TEACHERS OF THE JEWISH INSTITUTE OF RELIGION New York Arno Press 1980. Reprint of the 1927 ed. published under the auspices of the Alexander Kohut Memorial Foundation by the Press of the Jewish Institute of Religion, New York. Very Good condition; Large 8vo; 458 pages; Handsome volume with tissue-guarded frontis engraving of Abrahams. In English and German. Contents include a forword by Stephen S. Wise, Israel Abrahams and the Reform Jewish Movement in England (by Maurice Harris) , Einige neure Theorien ueber den Ursprung der Pharisaeer und Sadduzaeer (by Ismar Elbogen) , A Collection of Yemenite Piyyutim (by Levy Ruben) , Notes on some Midrashic Texts (by Felix Perles) ; Leone da Modena and the Christian Hebraists of his Age (by Cecil Roth) , The Inheritance of illegitimate Children according to Jewish law (by Chaim Tschernowitz) , Solomon Pappenheim on Time and Space and his Relation to Locke and Kant (by Harry Austryn Wolfson) , etc. Very good condition. (k-rab-3-24) (ID #21318) $50.00
112. MAX LEOPOLD MARGOLIS, SCHOLAR AND TEACHER: [ED. BY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION DROPSIE COLLEGE FOR HEBREW AND COGNATE LEARNING].. 1952. . Cloth, Philadelphia, [Penn. ]: Alumni Association Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning, . 8vo. Xii, 124 pages. Frontis Portrait. Message, by E. A. Margolis. -Foreword by A. A. Neuman. -Preface. -The life of Professor Max Leopold Margolis: an appreciation, by R. Gordis. -The contributions of M. L. Margolis to the fields of Bible and rabbinics, by F. Zimmermann. -The contribution of Max Leopold Margolis to Semitic linguistics, by E. A. Speiser. -Margolis' work in the Septuagint, by H. M. Orlinsky. -Max L. Margolis' contribution to the history and philosophy of Judaism, by J. Bloch. -Bibliography of the works of Max L. Margolis, by J. Reider (p. 61-124) . Gilt lettering on spine. Some bumping to top and bottom of spine. Minor shelf wear. Overall in Very Good condition. (FEST-3-6) (ID #17702) $20.00.
113. Finkel, Joshua, ; 1904- 1983; Hoenig, Sidney B. ; (Sidney Benjamin) ; Stitskin, Leon D.. SEFER HA-YOVEL LI-KHEVOD DR. YEHOSHUA FINKEL. Nyu York : Yeshivah-Universit?ah,, 1974. . Hardcover, 8vo. , 226, 190 pages. In Hebrew and English. Finkel was a "U. S. Orientalist and scholar. Finkel was born in Warsaw, Poland, and was taken to the United States in 1913. He was ordained at the Jewish Theological Seminary. He studied the relationship of Islam to Judaism. Part of his research included Persian, Egyptian, and Arabic texts in manuscript. He spent the years 1924-26 in research in Egypt, where he procured the manuscripts of the three Arabic epistles of al-Jahiz (c. 776-868) , a celebrated Muslim polygraph, which he published in Cairo in 1926. From 1937 he taught Semitic languages at Yeshiva University. His later interest in psychoanalysis produced some studies in which he applied psychoanalytic theories to Jewish cultural phenomena" (Halkin, EJ, 2007) . SUBJECT(S) : Rabbinical literature -- History and criticism. Jews -- History. Judaism -- History. Semitic philology. Includes annotated bibliography of the writings of Joshua Finkel: p. 177-186, and bibliographical references. Institutional stamp and bookplate on inside cover and flyleaf. Very good condition. (FEST-4-12) (ID #23613) $30.0
114. Isaacs, Bernard; Nobel, Moshe; Weine, Max. . SEFER B. AYZIKS/ SEFER B. ISAACS.. 1977. . Cloth, 2, New York, . 8vo. 184, 100 pages. Illustrations. Various parts in Hebrew, Yiddish, & English. Preface by Max Waine. SUBJECT (S) : Jewish educators. OCLC lists 20 copies worldwide. Some chipping to top edges of dustjacket. Gilt lettering on spine and covers. In Very Good condition in Very Good Jacket. (FEST-3-16) . (ID #17711) $20.00.
115. Journal Of The Ancient Near Eastern Society Of Columbia University. . NEAR EASTERN STUDIES IN MEMORY OF M.M. BRAVMANN: JOURNAL OF THE ANCIENT NEAR EASTERN SOCIETY OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, VOLUME 11: 1979.. 1979. . Paper Wrappers, 2, New York: Columbia University, Ancient Near Eastern Society, . 8vo. 130 pages. SUBJECT (S) : Middle East - Periodicals. Some bumping to edges. Clean text. Tight binding. In Very Good condition. (FEST-2-7) . (ID #17689) $30.00.
116. Mirsky, Samuel Kalman; Bernstein, S; Churgin, Gershon. . SEFER YOVEL: LI-KHEVOD SHEMUEL KALMAN MIRSKI LI-MELOT SHELOSHIM SHANAH LE-`AVODATO HA-BERUKHAH BI-SEDEH HA-MADA` VE-HARBATSAT HA-TORAH BE-AMERIKAH.. 1958. . Cloth, Nyu-York: Va`ad ha-Yovel, 1958. Cloth. 8vo. 558 pages. Portrait. In Hebrew. Mirsky (1899-1967) was a "rabbinic scholar, religious Zionist, and Hebraist. Mirsky's main scholarly achievement lay in the publication of medieval critical texts, such as Ahai Gaon's She'iltot (4 vols. , 1959-66) and two commentaries on Alfasi, Perush Rabbi Yehudah ben Binyamin Anav (1955) and Perush Rabbi Yonatan ha-Kohen mi-Lunel al-Megillah u-Mo'ed Katan (1956) . Only the first part of his new edition of the 13th-century halakhic compendium by Zedekiah b. Abraham Anau, Shibbolei ha-Leket (1966) , with an extensive introduction, appeared. Mirsky also published collections of his own articles and edited two books of essays on the leading figures and institutions of modern Jewish scholarship, Mosedot Torah be-Eiropah (1957) and Ishim u-Demuyyot be-Hokhmat Yisrael be-Eiropah (1959) . He contributed many articles to periodicals, some in English, some in Hebrew. Two of his originally written autobiographical articles for Genazim appeared in Hadoar (Nov. 3 and 10, 1967) . [Eisig Silberschlag in EJ]. SUBJECT(S) : Jews; Judaism. Gilt lettering on cover and spine. Very minor bumping to edges. Some staining to titlepage. In Very Good condition. (FEST-4-9). (ID #17728) $100.00.
117. Nash, Stanley, editor. . BEN HISTORYAH LE-SIFRUT: SEFER YOVEL LE-YITSAK BARZILI. BETWEEN HISTORY AND LITERATURE : STUDIES IN HONOR OF ISAAC BARZILAY. . Tel Aviv: ha-kibuts ha-me'uchad, 1997. Cloth, Large 8vo, 358, 218 pages. Includes frontis portrait. 25 cm. 358 pages in Hebrew; 218 pages in English. Series: "Mi-sifre Keren Yitsak Kiyov. " An I. Edward Kiev Library Foundation book. Includes bibliographical references. Subject: Philosophy, Jewish. Jewish literature. Jews -- History. New Condition. (FEST4-13) (ID #16802) $40.00. xxx
118. National Council On Art In Jewish Life (U. S. ) .. READINGS ON JEWISH ART.. 1965. . Paper Wrappers, New York: National Council on Art in Jewish Life, . 8vo. 64-175 pages (112 pages total) . 1. Books on Jewish art / by Rachel Wischnitzer - 2. Jewish art books and albums / by Rachel Wischnitzer - 3. In the realm of beauty-Books on Jewish art / by Alfred Werner - 4. Writings of Jewish artists / by Alfred Werner - 5. Recent literature on Jewish art: A critical appraisal / by Joseph Gutman. SUBJECT(S) : Art, Jewish; Jewish art and symbolism; Art, Jewish - History. Small tear to upper front cover. Small staining and wear to covers. Otherwise in Good condition. (FEST-2-11) . (ID #17691) $50.00.
119. Rabbinical Council Of America. . RABBI DAVID DE SOLA POOL: A SPECIAL ISSUE (TRADITION: A JOURNAL OF ORTHODOX JEWISH THOUGHT VOLUME 30, NO. 1 FALL 1995) . New York: Rabbinical Council Of America,, 1995. . Paper wrappers, 8vo. , 102 pages. De Sola Pool was the longtime leader of Shearith Israel, the oldest Sefardic congregation in the US. Guest Editor Rabbi Marc Angel. Contents include: Reflections on the Life and Work of Rabbi David de Sola Pool by Nima Adlerblum, Sarajevo as I Knew It by Solomon Gaon, The Grand Religious View of Rabbio Benzion Uziel by Marc Angel, and The Book of Jonah: A Call to Personal Responsibility by Hayyim Angel, and others. SUBJECT (S) : Judaism -- Periodicals. Very good condition. (SEF-31-10) (ID #25269) $50.00.
120. Strauss, Herbert A. & Kurt R. Grossmann. GEGENWART IM RÜCKBLICK : FESTGABE FUR DIE JÜDSICHE GEMEINDE ZU BERLIN 25 JAHRE NACH DEM NEUBEGINN. Heidelberg, Lothar Stiehm, 1970. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo, 374 pages. Large fold-out geneaological chart of the Gebrueder Veit presen t at rear. In English & German. Beautiful Contributors include: Walter Breslauer, Ernest Hamburger, Shalom Adler-Rudel, Max Birnbaum, Michael Munk, Wolfgang Hamburger, Hans-Erich Fabian, Robert Kempner, Steven Schwarzschild, Manfred Swarsensky, Harris Hirschberg, Joachim Prinz, Max Nussbaum, Georg Salzberger, Curt Wilk, Felix Hirsch, Elizabeth Feist-Hirsch, Hanns Reissner, Werner Behr, Herman Pineas, Gerd Ehrlich, Werner Rosenstock, Hans Steinitz, etc. Very Good Condition. (FEST 1-108) (ID #27344) $40.00.
121. ציונים : קובץ לזכרונו של י. נ. שמחוני ז״ל TSIYUNIM: KOVETS LE-ZIKHRONO SHEL Y. N. SIMHONI ZAL. Berlin, Eshkol, 1928. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 4to. 227 pages. Ill. 27 cm. In Hebrew. “Simchoni (1884–1926) was a Polish scholar, historian, and translator. His scholarly interests extended over a wide area, including history, archaeology, linguistics, and philosophy. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Hebrew literature, Medieval -- History and criticism. Piyutim. Simchoni, Jacob Naftali Hertz, 1884-1926. Includes bibliographical references. Tape along spine. Otherwise, Very good condition. (FEST1-99) (ID #27365) 35.00.
122. Almog, Shemuel. editor. תמורות בהיסטוריה היהודית החדשה : קובץ מאמרים, שי לשמואל אטינגר TEMUROT BA-HISTORYAH HA-YEHUDIT HA-HADASHAH: KOVETS MAAMARIM, SHAI LI-SHEMUEL ETINGER; & BEN YISRAEL LA-UMOT. COMPLETE IN 2 VOLUMES.. Jerusalem, Historical Society Of Israel, Zalman Shazar Center For Jewish History, 1987. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 2 volumes. 8vo. 568, cxxvii; 375, cxlvi pages. Port. 23 cm. In Hebrew and English with English summaries of some Hebrew articles. Title translates to English as, “Transition and Change in Modern Jewish History” and “Israel and the Nations. ” “Ettinger (1919–1988) was a Soviet-born Israeli historian. His major fields of research include Russian Jewish history (from its beginnings until the Soviet era) , the attitude of 17th- and 18th-century European thought toward Judaism and Jews, modern Jewish historiography, and the roots and development of modern antisemitism. ” (EJ) SUBJECT(S) : Antisemitism -- History. Zionism -- History. Jews -- History -- 1789-1945. Jews -- Politics and Government. Published simultaneously with companion volume: Ben Yisrael la-umot. Includes bibliographical references. "Bibliyografyah shel kitve Shemuel Etinger": page 361-375. Inscription from previous owner on FEP of both volumes. Otherwise, nice clean copies. Very good condition in very good jackets. (FEST1-98) (ID #27364) 225.00.
123. Ben-Horin, Meir. editor. מחקרים ומסות לכבוד אברהם א. ניומן STUDIES AND ESSAYS IN HONOR OF ABRAHAM A. NEUMAN, PRESIDENT, DROPSIE COLLEGE FOR HEBREW AND COGNATE LEARNING, PHILADELPHIA. Leiden, E. J. Brill For The Dropsie College, Philadelphia, 1962. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xiii, 649 pages. Port. 25 cm. Mostly in English with some Hebrew articles. Abraham A. Neuman was President of Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning in Philadelphia. Contents include: The Oral Traditions of Pre-Crusade Ashkenazic Jewry (by Irving Argus) ; Medieval Nationalism and Jewish Serfdom (by Salo W. Baron) ; The Growth and Progress of Modern Hebrew (by William Chomsky) ; Jewish Participants in the Polish Insurrection of 1863 (by Abraham Duker) ; The Story of Ascama I of the Spanish and Portuguese Jewish Congregation of London with Special Reference to Responsa Material (by Isidore Epstein) ; Home Rituals and the Spanish Synagogue (by Solomon B. Freehof) ; The Papal Bull Sicut Judeis (by Solomon Grayzel) ; The Ordinary Jew in the Middle Ages (by Cecil Roth) ; The Colonial Jewish Peddlar (by Maxwell Whiteman) . SUBJECT(S) : Judaism. Jews -- History. Hebrew philology. Judaïsme. Juifs -- Histoire. Philologie hébraïque. Neuman, Abraham A. (Abraham Aaron) , 1890- Added title page in Hebrew. Includes bibliographical footnotes. Very good condition. (FEST1-83). Xx (ID #27349) 30.00.
124. Berlin, Charles. editor. מחקרים במדעי היהדות : ספר יובל לכבוד יצחק קיוב STUDIES IN JEWISH BIBLIOGRAPHY, HISTORY ANDLITERATURE: IN HONOR OF I. EDWARD KIEV = MEH? K? ARIM BE-MADA? E HA-YAHADUT : . New York, Ktav Publishing House, 1971. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 587, 139 pages. Ill. In English and Hebrew. Added Sub Title: “Offered to him by his Friends and Admirers 65th Anniversary. ” I. Edward Kiev was the chief librarian of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion from 1942 to 1975. SUBJECT(S) : Jews -- Bibliography. Jews -- History. Jewish literature. Bibliographie. Buchdruck. Judentum. Literatur. Includes bibliographical references. OCLC lists 30 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (FEST1-95) (ID #27361) 35.00.
125. Fleischer, Ezra and Jakob Josef Petuchowski. editors. מחקרים באגדה, תרגומים ותפילות ישראל לזכר יוסף הײנימן MEHKARIM BE-AGADAH TARGUMIM U-TEFILOT YISRAEL LE-ZEKHER YOSEF HAINIMAN = STUDIES IN AGGADAH, TARGUM, AND JEWISH LITURGY IN MEMORY OF JOSEPH HEINEMANN. Jerusalem, Magnes Press, 1981. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 192, 124 pages.  leaf of plates. Port. 24 cm. In Hebrew and English. SUBJECT(S) : Aggada -- History and criticism. Judaism – Liturgy. Heinemann, Joseph. Title Subject: Bible. O. T. -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. , Jewish. Spine Title: Mehkarim le-zekher Yosef Hainiman = Studies in memory of Joseph Heinemann. "Reshimat hiburav shel Yosef Hainiman": pages 185-192. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition in good jacket. (FEST1-82) . Xxx (ID #27348) 75.00.
126. Gilath, Itzchak D. , Howard Levine and Zvi Meir Rabinowitz. editors. עיונים בספרות חז"ל, במקרא ובתולדות ישראל: מוקדש לפרופ' עזרא ציון מלמד `IYUNIM BE-SIFRUT HAZAL, BA-MIKRA’ UVE-TOLDOT YISRA’EL: MUKDASH LE-PROF. `EZRA’ TSION MELAMED. Ramat-Gan, Hotsa’at Universitat Bar-’ilan, 1982. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 397 pages.  pages of plates. Ill. Port. 25 cm. In Hebrew with added English title page: “Studies in Rabbinic Literature, Bible, and Jewish History. “Melamed (1903–1994) was an Israel talmudic scholar and philologist. He was awarded the Israel Prize in 1987 for Torah literature and commentary on the sources. Because of his involvement with the Persian and other Oriental communities (whom he served as honorary rabbi) and his familiarity with their traditions of custom and language, Melamed served as an important source on such community traditions. ” (EJ) . SUBJECT(S) : Rabbinical literature -- History and criticism. Melamed, Ezra Zion. Jews -- History. Bible. O. T. -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. , Jewish. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition. (FEST1-94).xx (ID #27360) 100.00.
127. Golden, Herbert H. editor. STUDIES IN HONOR OF SAMUEL MONTEFIORE WAXMAN. Boston, Boston University Press, 1969. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Ix, 263 pages. Ports. 25 cm. Biography, bibliography and 20 essays relating to Prof. Waxman and his principle interests of the language, literature and culture of France, Italy, Spain and Latin America as well as education and art history. SUBJECT (S) : Romance literature -- History and criticism. Aufsatzsammlung. Romanistik. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition. (FEST1-88) (ID #27354) 25.00.
128. Günzburg, Baron D. V. , Isaak Markon and Albert Harkavy. editors.. זכרון לאברהם אליהו: קבוצת מאמרים בחכמת ישראל אשר נכתבו לכבוד אברהם אליהו הרכבי, לזכרון שבעים שנה לימי חייו ZIKARON LE-AVRAHAM ELIYAHU: KEVUTSAT MAAMARIM BE- HOKHMAT YISRAEL ASHER NIKHTEVU LI-KHEVOD. AVRAHAM ELIYAHU HARKAVI. Jerusalem, [S. N. ], 1968. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 2 volumes in 3 books. Lii, 507; iv, 178 pages. Facsim. 25 cm. In Hebrew and German. Series: Sidrat Sifre Yovel, 1-3. Albert (Abraham Elijah) Harkavy, 1835- 1919, was a Russian orientalist, scholar of Jewish history & literature. SUBJECTS: Judaism -- History. Rabbinical literature. Harkavy, Albert, 1835-1919. Originally published in Petersburg, 669 . Vol. 2 has title: “Festschrift zu Ehren des Dr. A. Harkavy. ” Title on spine: Sefer Zikaron le-Harkavi. Includes bibliographical references and a bibliography of Harkavy’s works through 1907 (392 titles) . Light staining to spines. Otherwise, very good condition. (FEST1-86) (ID #27352) 85.00.
129. Kriger, Yosef Shemuel. מזכרת למשה: ספר זכרון, מוקדש לזכרון של הקדוש משה אפרים אפרתי הי״ד, שמסר נפשו על קידוש ה׳ במלחמת יום־הכיפורים MAZKERET LE-MOSHEH: SEFER ZIKARON MUKDASH LE-ZIKRO SHEL ... MOSHEH EFRAYIM EFRATI. Jerusalem, [S. N], 1974. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 225 pages.  leaf of plates. Port. 25 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S) : Jewish law. Efrati, Mosheh Efrayim, 1947-1973. OCLC lists 15 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (FEST1-89) (ID #27355) 100.00.
130. Lyon, David Gordon and George Foot Moore. editors. . STUDIES IN THE HISTORY OF RELIGIONS: PRESENTED TO CRAWFORD HOWELL TOY BY PUPILS, COLLEAGUES AND FRIENDS. New York, MacMillan, 1912. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Viii, 373 pages. Illlus. 25 cm. “Howell Toy (1836–1919) was an American Hebrew scholar. Shaped by the "history of religions" approach to the Old Testament popularized in Europe by Julius Wellhausen, Toy came to believe that the writers of the New Testament—using a rabbinical hermeneutic of their day—misunderstood the original meaning of several Old Testament passages when they placed a christological emphasis on them. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: English witchcraft and James the First, by G. L. Kittredge. -Buddhist and Christian parallels; the mythological background, by J. E. Carpenter. - Satirists and enchanters in early Irish literature, by F. N. Robinson. - Saint Peter and the minstrel, by E. S. Sheldon. - The liver as the seat of the soul, by Morris Jastrow, Jr. - The Sikh religion, by Maurice Bloomfield. - Yahweh before Moses, by G. A. Barton. - Der Schluss des Buches Hosea, by Karl Budde. - The sacred rivers of India, by E. W. Hopkins. - The two great nature shrines of Israel: Bethel and Dan, by J. P. Peters. - Asianic influences in Greek mythology, by W. H. Ward. - The theological school at Nisibis, by G. F. Moore. - The translations made from the original Aramaic gospels, by C. C. Torrey. - Oriental cults in Spain, by C. H. Moore. - The consecrated women of the Hammurabi code, by D. G. Lyon. - Figurines of Syro-Hittite art, by R. J. H. Gottheil. - Bibliography [publications of C. H. Toy] by Harry Wolfson. SUBJECT(S) : Religion. Toy, Crawford Howell, 1836-1919. Includes bibliographical references (pages 367-373) . Ex-library with usual markings. Cloth torn at top of spine. Internal pages are nice and clean. Good condition. (FEST1-85) (ID #27351) 100.00.
131. Morag, Shelomo, Issachar Ben-Amir and Norman Stillman.. editors. STUDIES IN JUDAISM AND ISLAM PRESENTED TO SHELOMO DOV GOITEIN ON THE OCCASION OF HIS EIGHTIETH BIRTHDAY BY HIS STUDENTS, COLLEAGUES, AND FRIENDS. Jerusalem, Magnes Press, 1981. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 382 pages.  pages of plate. Ill. Facsims. 24 cm. Shelomo Dov Goitein (1900-1985) was a German-Jewish ethnographer, historian and Arabist known for his research on Jewish life in the Islamic Middle Ages. SUBJECT(S) : Islamic civilization. Jews -- Middle East. Judaism -- Middle East. Cairo Genizah. Génizah du Caire. Civilisation islamique. Juifs -- Moyen-Orient. Judaïsme -- Moyen-Orient. Jodendom. Islam. Manuscrits de la Géniza du Caire. Judaïsme -- Relations -- Islam. Islam -- Relations -- Judaïsme. Goitein, Shlomo Dov Fritz, 1900-1985. Middle East. Moyen-Orient. Includes bibliography: pages 201-202. Very good condition. (FEST1-90) (ID #27356) 40.00.
132. Noth, Martin and David Winton Thomas. editors. WISDOM IN ISRAEL AND IN THE ANCIENT NEAR EAST: PRESENTED TO PROFESSOR HAROLD HENRY ROWLEY BY THE SOCIETY FOR OLD TESTAMENT STUDY IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE EDITORIAL BOARD OF VESTUS TESTAMENTUM IN CELEBRATION OF HIS SIXTY-FIFTH BIRTHDAY, 24 MARCH 1955. Leiden, Brill, 1955. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xix, 301 pages. Ill. Port. 25 cm. Series: Supplements to Vetus Testamentum, v. 3. “Rowley (1890–1969) was an English Protestant theologian and Bible scholar who wrote a number of works on the unity, importance, and relevance of the Bible. He argued that the pure monotheism of the prophets is rooted in the Mosaic period. He commented upon every major problem of biblical history from Moses to Qumran, including the problems of the Exodus, the Samaritans, sacrifice, and the Qumran sectarians. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: Harold Henry Rowley zum fünfundsechzigsten Geburtstag; “Select bibliography of the writings of Harold Henry Rowley, ” compiled by G. H. Davies (pages [xi]-xix) ; “Some Canaanite-Phoenician sources of Hebrew wisdom, ” by W. F. Albright; “Zur literarischen Analyse der Weisheit des Amenemope, ” by A. Alt; “À propos d'une phrase de H. H. Rowley, ” by H. Cazelles; “Le messianisme sapiential et les origines lettéraires du Fils de l'homme daniélique, ” by J. Coppens; “The counsellor, ” by P. A. H. De Boer; “Problems in the Hebrew text of Job, ” by G. R. Driver; “Religionshistorie und Religionspolemik im Alten Testament, ” by O. Eissfeldt; “"Knowledge" and "life" in the creation story, ” by I. Engnell; “The rib- or controversy-pattern in Hebrew mentality, ” by B. Gemser; “The structure and contents of the book of Koheleth, ” by H. L. Ginsberg; “Le modernisme de Job, ” by P. Humbert; “[Masal], ” by A. R. Johnson; “"Man and his God"; a Sumerian variation on the "Job" motif, ” by S. N. Kramer; “Die Krise des religiösen Glaubens bei Kohelet, ” by A. Lauha; “Wisdom in the Old Testament Prophets, ” by J. Lindblom; “Psalms and wisdom, ” by S. Mowinckel; “Die Bewährung von Salomos "Göttlicher Weisheit, " by M. Noth; “Wisdom and immortality, ” by J. Pedersen; “Royal wisdom, ” by N. W. Porteous; “Solomon and the beginnings of wisdom in Israel, ” by R. B. Y. Scott; “Textual and philological notes on some passages in the Book of Proverbs, ” by D. W. Thomas; “Hiob xxxviii und die altägyptische Weisheit, ” by G. Von Rad. SUBUJECT(S) : Wisdom literature. Judaism -- Relations. Wijsheidsliteratuur. Oude Testament. Oudheid. Rowley, H. H. (Harold Henry) , 1890-1969 -- Bibliography. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition. (FEST1-100) (ID #27366) 40.00.
133. Philippson, Martin. editors. FESTSCHRIFT ZUM SIEBZIGSTEN GEBURTSTAGE JAKOB GUTTMANNS. Leipzig, G. Fock, 1915. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xv,  page, 1 leaf, 283,  pages. Ill. 24 cm. In German. Series: Schriften herausgegeben
von der Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaft des Judentums. “Guttmann (1845–1919) was a historian of Jewish philosophy who, from 1910, was president of the German Rabbinical Assembly (Rabbinerverband) . Guttmann published a number of monographs, each of which gives a detailed exposition of the doctrine and sometimes of the sources of some medieval Jewish philosophers. He also published important works dealing with the relation between Christian scholasticism and medieval Jewish philosophy. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: Philippson, M. Einführung. -- Nathan, N. M. Verzeichnis der schriften u. Reden Jakob Guttmanns. -- Zur jüdischen religionsphilosophie: Cohen, H. Der Heilige Geist. Cohn, J. Die weltschöprung in der Sapienz. Guttmann, J. Chasdai Creskas als kritiker der aristotelischen physik. Horovitz, S. Zur attributenlehre Maimunis. Lewkowitz, J. Gott und mensch. Lewkowitz, A. Zur methode der religionsphilosophie. Steckelmacher, M. Uber die gründe der jüdischen sympathien für die kantsche philosophie. -- Zu Talmud und Midrasch: Bloch, Ph. Rom und die mystiker der merkabah. Horovitz, J. Nobel, N. A. Zur talmudischen auffassung des concursus delictorum. Theodor, J. Drei unbekannte paraschas aus Bereschit rabba. -- Zur jüdischen literaturgeschichte: Cohn, L. Pseudo-Philo und Jerachmeel. Elbogen, I. Abraham ibn Daud als geschichteschreiber. Freimann, J. Paulus de Heredia als verfasser der kabbalistischen schriften Igeret ha-sodot und Galie raze. Simonson, D. Maimonlana. -- Zur jüdischen geschichte: Brann, M. Etwas von der schlesischen landgemeinde. Lewinsky, A. Zur geschichte der Juden in Deutschland in 18. Jahrhundert nach Hildesheimer zeitungsstimmen. Sobernheim, M. Und Mittwoch, E. Hebräische inschriften in der synagoge von Aleppo. SUBJECT(S) : Jews. Judaism. Named Person: Guttmann, Jacob, 1845-1919. Talmud. Cover lightly worn but still nice. Very good condition. (FEST1-101) (ID #27367) 70.00.
134. Pomerantz, Israel Chaim. [ובל בוך] צול. מ. שטיינס פינף און צוואנציק יאריקן יוביליי פון קולטור־געזעלשאפטלעכער טעטיקייט TSU L.M. SHTAYNS FINF UN TSVANTSIK YORIKN YUBILEY FUN KULTUR-GEZELSHAFTLIKHER TETIGKAYT [L.M. STEIN JUBILEE BOOK]. Chicago, Sholem Aleykhem Folk Institut, 1938. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 258 pages. Ill. 24 cm. In Yiddish. SUBJECT(S) : Yiddish literature -- History and criticism. Named Person: Stein, L. M. , 1883- . OCLC lists 10 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (FEST1-81) (ID #27347) 30.00.
135. Rabin, Chaim, and Yigael Yadin. editors. מחקרים במגילות הגנוזות: ספר זכרון לאליעזר ליפא סוקניק MEHKARIM BA-MEGILOT HA-GENUZOT: SEFER ZIKARON LE-ELI`EZER LIPA SUKENIK. Jerusalem, “hekhal Ha-Sefer”, 1961. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 239 pages. Ill. Port. Facsim. 25 cm. In Hebrew with added English title and summaries. Series: Pirsume "Hekhal ha-sefer. " Title translates to English as, “Essays on the Dead Sea Scrolls in Memory of E. L. Sukenik. ” “Sukenik (1889–1953) was an Israel archaeologist who excavated a number of synagogues and Jewish tombs in the vicinity of Jerusalem, the latter containing remains which he claimed were evidence of early Christianity, as well as Chalcolithic remains in Haderah, including a tomb, and a Bronze Age site at Tell Jarisha. In 1947 Sukenik was instrumental in acquiring part of the *Dead Sea Scrolls – whose importance he immediately recognized – and he devoted the rest of his life to their study. ” (EJ) CONTENTS: Address on the occasion of his receiving the Bublik Prize by Prof. E. L. Suzenik; The Qumran War Scroll and the date of its composition by M. H. Segal; The War Scroll-- its time and authors by J. M. Grintz; The literary structure of the War Scroll by C. Rabin; The plant eternal and the people of divine deliverance by J. Licht; The calendar reckoning of the sect from the Judaean desert by S. Talmon; The palaeography of the Dead Sea Scrolls and related documents by N. Avigad; Remnants of a Hebrew dialect in 1QIsa by D. S. Loewninger; The author of Genesis Apocryphon knew the book of Esther by J. Finkel; Damascus Document VII, 9-21 by H. Kosmala; The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Epistle to the Hebrews by Y. Yadin; The Baptism of John and the Dead Sea Sect by D. Flusser. SUBJECTS: Sukenik, Eleazar Lipa, 1889-1953. Dead Sea scrolls. Includes bibliographical footnotes. Very good condition in good jacket. (FEST1-84) (ID #27350) 40.00.
136. Rosen-Ayalon, Myriam. editor. STUDIES IN MEMORY OF GASTON WIET. Jerusalem, Institute Of Asian And African Studies, Hebrew University Of Jerusalem, 1977. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Xii, 479 pages.  leaves of plates. Ill. 25 cm. In English and French. Wiet (1887- 1971) was a French orientalist. SUBJECT(S) : Civilisation islamique. Cultuurgeschiedenis. Wiet, Gaston, 1887-1971. Islamic Empire. Middle East. Includes bibliographical references and index. Very good condition in like jacket. (FEST1-92) (ID #27358) 45.00.
137. Sacks, Jonathan. editor. ספר היובל במלאות עשרים שנה לכהונתו של הרב ישראל (סיר עמנואל) יעקובוביץ TRADITION AND TRANSITION: ESSAYS PRESENTED TO CHIEF RABBI SIR IMMANUEL JAKOBOVITS TO CELEBRATE TWENTY YEARS IN OFFICE. London, Jews’ College Publications, 1986. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 324, lv pages. Port. 24 cm. In English and Hebrew. Rabbi Jakobovits was the most prominent figure in 20th century Jewish medical ethics, a subdiscipline in applied ethics which he virtually created, and a pioneer in religious bioethics. His speciality was the interaction between medical ethics and halakha. He was the Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth from 1967 to 1991 where he was succeeded by Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks who edited this book. SUBJECT(S) : Judaism -- History. Judaism -- Great Britain -- History. Jodendom. Added Hebrew Title Page: “Sefer ha-yovel. ” Includes bibliographies. Hand numbered #210 out of 1000. Very good condition. (FEST1-97) (ID #27363) 30.00.
138. Tedeschi, G. editor. מחקרי משפט לזכר אברהם רוזנטל : יוצעים לאור מטעם הפקולטה למשפים של האוניברסיטה העברית
MEHKERE MISHPAT LE-ZEKHER AVRAHAM ROZENTAL: YOTSIM LE-OR MI-TA`AM HA-FAKULTAH LE-MISHPATIM SHEL HA-UNIVERSITAH HA-`IVRIT. Jerusalem, Magnes Press, 1964. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. Vi, 462 pages. Port. 25 cm. In Hebrew with added English title page: “Studies in Law in Memory of Abraham Rosenthal. ” SUBJECT(S) : Law -- Israel. Mishpat Ivri. Universitah ha-`Ivrit bi-Yerushalayim. Fakultah le-mishpatim. Published by the Faculty of Law of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Includes bibliographical references. Very good condition. (FEST1-91) (ID #27357) 35.00.
139. Urbach, Efraim Elimelech, R. J. Zwi Werblowsky and Chaim Wirszubski. editors. מחקרים בקבלה ובתולדות הדתות STUDIES IN MYSTICISM AND RELIGION, PRESENTED TO GERSHOM G. SCHOLEM ON HIS SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY BY PUPILS, COLLEAGUES AND FRIENDS = MEHKARIM BA-KABALAH UVE-TOLDOT HA-DATOT, MUGASHIM LE-GERSHOM SHALOM BI-MELOT LO SHIV`IM SHANAH. Jerusalem,, 1967. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 387, 235 pages. Port. 25 cm. In Hebrew and English with some articles in French and German. Scholem was a Jewish philosopher and historian raised in Germany. He is widely regarded as the founder of the modern, academic study of Kabbalah, becoming the first Professor of Jewish Mysticism at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. SUBJECT(S) : Religion. Mysticism -- Judaism. Scholem, Gershom Gerhard, 1897. “Bibliyografyah shel kitve Gershom Shalom, me-et Fanyah Shalom be-shituf `im Barukh Yaron” pages 199-235 (2nd paging) . Bibliographical footnotes. Very good condition in Good Jacket. (FEST1-93) xx (ID #27359) 75.00.
140. Vardaman, Jerry and James Leo Garrett. editors. THE TEACHER'S YOKE: STUDIES IN MEMORY OF HENRY TRANTHAM. Waco, Texas; Baylor University Press, 1964. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 320 pages. Port. 24 cm. SUBJECT (S) : Trantham, Henry, 1882-1962. Bible -- Antiquités. Bible -- Critique, interprétation, etc. Very good condition. (FEST1-96) (ID #27362) 25.00.
141. Weisgal, Meyer Wolfe. editor. CHAIM WEIZMANN, STATESMAN, SCIENTIST, BUILDER OF THE JEWISH COMMONWEALTH. New York, Dial Press, 1944. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 340 pages. Frontis. (port. ) 24 cm. CONTENTS: The statesman: The mark of the chosen, by Dorothy Thompson. An enduring people, by Thomas Mann. The power of faith, by Pierre Van Paassen. On the Arab question, by Michael Assaf. The leader as transformer, by Ludwig Lewisohn. Zionism and democracy, by Freda Kirchwey. Weizmann's approach to the British mind, by Norman Angell. Of Jewish folk statesmanship, by Maurice Samuel. The advocate of his people: Zion comes to Culver City, by S. N. Behrman. "He shall stand before kings, " by Sholem Asch. Weizmann and Balfour, by Blanche Dugdale. The gift of illumination, by Judith Epstein. "Like the rest of us, " by Jacob Fishman. A citadel of the Jewish spirit, by Marvin Lowenthal. In the arena of Zionist action: Weizmann, bond between two worlds, by Louis Lipsky. The Manchester period, by Harry Sacher. In the authentic tradition, by S. S. Wise. Weizmann and the Zionist Congress, by Nahum Goldmann. Dreamer and builder of Zion, by A. H. Silver. The quest for unity, by Morris Rothenberg. Weizmann and Melchett, by Lord Melchett. Leaves from a diary, by Israel Goldstein. The essence of Weizmann's Zionism, by I. Elazari-Volcani. The scientist: Scientific research and social consciousness, by Ernst Bergmann. Dr. Weizmann's contributions to microbiology, by H. B. Speakman. Science and industry, by V. N. Ipatieff. Investigations of polycyclic compounds, by L. F. Fieser. --Quotations: From the writings and addresses of Dr. Weizmann. --Epilogue, by the editor. SUBJECT(S) : Zionisme. Politici. Biochemici. Named Person: Weizmann, Chaim, 1874-1952. Foreword by Felix Frankfurter. Some wear to cover, but overall very good condition. (FEST1-80) (ID #27346) 30.00.
142. Wevers, John Willliam and Donald B. Redford. editors. STUDIES ON THE ANCIENT PALESTINIAN WORLD: PRESENTED TO PROFESSOR F.V. WINNETT ON THE OCCASION OF HIS RETIREMENT 1 JULY 1971. [Toronto], University Of Toronto Press, 1972. Original Publisher’s Cloth. 8vo. 171 pages. Ill. 24 cm. Series: Toronto Semitic Texts and Studies. CONTENTS: An incense burner from Tell es-Sa`idiyeh, Jordan Valley, ” by J. B. Pritchard; “The archaeological history of Elealeh in Moab, ” by W. L. Reed; “Three Byzantine tombstones from Dhibân. Jordan, ” by A. D. Tushingham; “The placing of the accent signs in Biblical texts with Palestinian pointing/ by E. J. Revell; “The textual affinities of the Arabic Genesis of Bib. Nat. Arab 9, ” by J. W. Wevers; “Energic verbal forms in Hebrew, ” by R. J. Williams; “Israel's eschatology from Amos to Daniel, ” by W. S. McCullough; “Oral tradition and historicity, ” by R. C. Culley; “Abraham and David? , ” by N. E. Wagner; “Studies in relations between Palestine and Egypt during the first millennium B. C. : I. The taxation system of Solomon, ” by D. B. Redford; “Cylinder C of Sîn-sarra-iskun, a new text from Baghdad, ” by A. K. Grayson; “Bibliography of Professor Winnett's publications, ” by A. Bembenek. SUBJECT (S) : Oudheid. Winnett, F. V. (Frederick Victor) -- Bibliography. Palestine -- Antiquities. Bible. O. T. Bible. A. T. Very good condition. (FEST1-87) (ID #27353) 30.00.
143. (Baron, Salo Wittmayer) Lieberman, Saul, editor. SALO WITTMAYER BARON : JUBILEE VOLUME ON THE OCCASION OF HIS EIGHTIETH BIRTHDAY. THREE VOLUMES (COMPLETE) . Jerusalem, American Academy for Jewish, 1974. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo, 1095 + 500 pages. Original Publisher's Cloth. Large 8vo. 1095, 500 pages. Volumes I & II are in English, Volume III is in Hebrew. Includes a bibliography of baron's works. Contents include: From Zudecha to Yahudi Mahallesi: The Jewish Quarter of Candia in the Seventeenth Century (by Zvi Ankori) ; Premiers Temoignages Epigraphiques Sur les Juifs en France (by Bernard Blumenkranz) ; The Hasmonean Revolution Politically Considered (by Martin A. Cohen) ; Christian Translators of Mamonaides' Mishne Torah into Latin (by Jacob Dienstag) ; H. M. Baratz and his View of Khazar Influence on the Earliest Russian Literature, Juridical and Historical (by Douglas Dunlop) ; Garcia de Orta--A Militant Marrano in Portuguese-India in the 16th Century (by Walter J. Fischel) ; Jewish Influence upon Arthurian Legends (by Kurt Leviant) ; Taamrat Emanuel's Note of Falasha Monks and Holy Places (by Wolf Leslau) ; The Attitudes of the Early Karaites towards Christianity (by Leon Nemoy) ; Hermann Cohen and Heinrich Graetz (by Erwin I. J. Rosenthal) ; A Frankish Document from Prague (by Gershom Scholem) ; East European Workers in Germany during World War I (by Zosa Szakowski) ; Young German Intellectuals on Romanticism and Judaism--Spiritual Turbulence in the Early19th Century (by Uriel Tal) ; Professing Jews in Post-Expulsion Spain and Portugal (by Yosef Hayim Yerushalmi) ; Unpublished Materials on the Relations of Austrian and German Jews to the Central Governments (by Arthur Zuckerman); etc. Nice, clean copies in Very good condition. (FEST1-119) All 3 volumes are in Very Good Condition issued w/o DJs. (ID #27379) 150.00.
144. (Marx, Alexander) Frankel, David, editor. SEPHER HA-YOVEL: A TRIBUTE TO PROFESSOR ALEXANDER MARX BY COLLEAGUES, DISCIPLES AND FRIENDS = SEFER HA-YOVEL LI-KHEVOD PROFESOR ALEKSANDER MARKS: BI-MELOT ARBA`IM SHANAH LI-KHEHUNATO BE-TOR SAFRAN BE-YISRAEL. New York, No Publisher, 1943. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Large 8vo, 154 + 10 pages. Original Paper Wrappers. 8vo. 154, x pages,  pages of plates. Subtitle: "On Completing Forty Years of Distinguished Service as Librarian of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America." One essay by Moses Marx in English: "The Last Hebrew Books Printed in the Fifteenth Century: The Second Edition of the Mashal Ha-Kadmoni and the Quarto Tur Orah Hayyim"; remainder of essays are in Hebrew. Cover and title page detached but present; otherwise good condition. (FEST1-121) (ID #27381) 50.00.
145. (Berlin) Holzman, Michael. . GESCHICHTE DER JÜDISCHEN LEHRER-BILDUNGSANSTALT IN BERLIN: EINE FESTSCHRIFT ZUR FEIER DES FÜNFZIGJÄHRIGEN BESTEHNS DER ANSTALT AM 8. NOVEMBER 1909.. Berlin, H.S. Hermann, 1909. . Original Paper Wrappers. 8vo. 169 pages. First edition. In German. Photo plates throughout book. SUBJECT(S): Jews-Education. OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide. Back cover absent; front cover worn and repaired. Internal pages nice. Good condition. (FEST1-111) (ID #27370) 100.00.
147. Bettan, Israel) Central Conference Of American Rabbis. . ISRAEL BETTAN MEMORIAL VOLUME.. New York, Central Conference of American Rabbis, 1961. . Cloth, Original Publisher's Cloth. 8vo. 164 pages. Frontis portrait. Israel Bettan: his life and personality, by S. S. Cohon. -Israel Bettan: his influence, by S. B. Freehof. -Israel Bettan as teacher, by A. S. Goldstein. -The textual sermon, by E. E. Pilchik. -The pulpit lecture, by B. J. Bamberger. -The High Holy Day sermon, by J. R. Narot. -The literary lecture, by S. B. Freehof. -The occasional sermon, by R. I. Kahn. Some sermons of Israel Bettan": pages 63-82./ "Bibliography of Israel Bettan's writings, compiled by Theodore Wiener": pages 52-62. SUBJECT (S) : Jewish Preaching. Gilt lettering on spine. Some bumping to edges of dustjacket with closed tear. Very good condition in like jacket. (FEST1-113) (ID #27372) 20.00.
148. Same title without jacket. Very good condition. (FEST1-113a) (ID #27374) 20.00.
150. Brann, Dr. M[Arcus]. . GESCHICHTE DES JÜDISCH-THEOLOGISCHEN SEMINARS (FRAENCKEL'SCHE STIFTUNG) IN BRESLAU. Breslau, Druck Von Th. Schatzky, 1904. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo, 209 + 52 pages. Contemporary boards. 8vo. 209, 52 pages. 24 cm. In German. Subtitle: "Festschrift zum Fuenfzigjaehrigen Jubilaeum der Anstalt." Rebound in period cloth with, "Jahres-Bericht des judisch-theologischen Seminars; Fraenkel'scher Stiftung." From the personal collection of the late Dr. Guido Kisch, one of the 20th Century's outstanding scholars in German-Jewish History, and an authority on the Breslauer Seminar. Spine repaired, with label. Good condition. (FEST1-117) (ID #27377) 120.00.
151. Freidus, Abraham Solomon. . STUDIES IN JEWISH BIBLIOGRAPHY AND RELATED SUBJECTS IN MEMORY OF ABRAHAM SOLOMON FREIDUS (1867-1923) .. New York, Alexander Kohut Memorial Foundation, 1929. . Cloth. , 8vo. Cxxx, 518,  pages. In English, Hebrew and German. Title page in Hebrew on verso. Frontispiece portrait of Freidus. Illustrated with facsimiles. Part I includes Freidusiana plus 31 articles in English and German by such figures as Elkan Adler, Boaz Cohen, and Alexander Marx. Part II includes 7 articles in Hebrew. SUBJECT (S) : Jews -- Bibliography. OCLC lists 9 copies worldwide of this edition. Spine repaired; backstrip chipping. Internal pages are nice and clean. Good condition. (FEST1-123). (ID #27384) 70.00.
152.Another Copy with covers chipping and detached but present. Internal pages are nice and clean. Good condition. (FEST1-123a). (ID #27385) 70.00.
155. Guttmann, Jacob, and Gesellschaft Zur Förderung Der Wissenschaft Des Judentums, Eds. . BEITRÄGE ZUR GESCHICHTE DER DEUTSCHEN JUDEN. FESTSCHRIFT ZUM SIEBZIGSTEN GEBURSTAGE MARTIN PHILIPPSONS.. Leipzig, Gustav Fock, 1916. . Contemporary Boards. 8vo. xii, 392 pages. In German. Embossed boards; gilt titles; decorative endpapers. "Einleitung" by Jacob Guttmann. Includes bibliographical references. 23 essays in honor of Philippson, director of the Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaft des Judentums ("Association for the Advancement of the Science of Judaism, " a 19th-century European movement) . SUBJECT(S) : Jews. Jews -- Germany. Philippson, Martin, 1846-1916. Bookplate of Albert J. Phiebig on inside front cover. Phiebig was a New York publisher and book collector, one of the Continental emigré booksellers of the thirties and forties who brought expertise, craftmanship and a heightened bibliographical consciousness to the American antiquarian book trade. Excellent condition. (FEST1-115) (ID #27373) 100.00.
156. Kisch, Guido, compiler. DAS BRESLAUER SEMINAR: JUDISCH-THEOLOGISCHES SEMINAR (FRAENCKELSCHER-STIFTUNG) IN BRESLAU; GEDACHTNISSCHRIFT. Tubingen, J. C. B. Mohr, 1963. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo, 442 pages. Original Publisher's Cloth. 8vo. 442 page. 24 cm. Text, primarily in German with some English and Hebrew. Compiled by and introduction by Guido Kisch. Includes bibliographies. SUBJECT(S): Jüdisch-Theologisches Seminar (Breslau, Germany). Very good condition; lacks jacket. (FEST1-122). (ID #27382) 100.00.
157. Langnas, Izaak A. and Barton Sholod. Editors. STUDIES IN HONOR OF M.J. BENARDETE (ESSAYS IN HISPANIC AND SEPHARDIC CULTURE). New York, Las Americas Pub. Co., 1965. . Hardcover, 8vo, Original Publisher's Cloth. Large 8vo. 501 pages ports. 25 cm. Text primarily in English with some Spanish and French. SUBJECT(S): Literatur. Benardete, Maír José (1895-19..). Geographic: Sephardim. Spanisch. Includes bibliography pages -486. Very good condition. (FEST1-120) (ID #27380) 100.00.
158. Neuman, Abraham A. & Solomon Zeitlin. THE SEVENTY-FIFTH ANNIVERSARY VOLUME OF THE JEWISH QUARTERLY REVIEW. Philadelphia, Jewish Quarterly Review, 1967. 1st Edition. Hardcover, Original Publisher's Cloth. 8vo. 592 pages. Smooth paper, very attractive printing. Contains 39 articles on Bible scholarship, medieval judaica, theology and Jewish Liturgy. Note(s): Bibliographical footnotes. Other Titles: Jewish quarterly review. Wear on cover and binding. From the Louis Littauer Foundation with bookplate. Slight yellowing of pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (FEST1-114) (ID #27368) 60.00.
159. Starr, Joshua, 1907-1949) Conference On Jewish Relations. THE JOSHUA STARR MEMORIAL VOLUME; STUDIES IN HISTORY AND PHILOLOGY.. 1953 . . Cloth, LCCN: 53-9157 New York, The Conference. Vii, 262 pages. 27 cm. Includes frontis portrait. "La-`edah; kovets mehkarim lizkor Yehoshua Star. " Includes Bibliographical footnotes. Primary text in English; Articles in English, French, German and Hebrew; includes texts in Arabic, Greek, Hebrew and Italian. Series: Jewish social studies. ; Publications, ; no. 5. Articles are "Abraham G. Duker, " Joshua Starr, "Bibliography of the Writings of Joshua Starr, " "Stratification of Society in Hammurabi's Code, " Cyrus H. Gordon, "An Interpretation of an Ugaritic Viticultural Poem, " Johua Finkel, "The Name Makkabaios, " Ralph Marcus, "Some Minor Problems in the Qur'an, " Franz Rosenthal, "A Legendary Story of Ka'b Al-Ahbar's Conversion to Islam, " Moshe Perlmann, "Le-Toldot Ha-Shamad bi-yeme Ha-Almohdin, " Abraham S. Halkin, "Isfahan, The Story of a Jewish Community in Persia, " Walter J. Fischel, "Zur Frage des Jüdische Anteils an der Bevölkerung Thessalonikes in XIV. Jahrhundert, " Franz Dölger, "A Note on the Population and Cities of the Byzantine Empire in the Thirteenth Century, " Peter Charanis, "Hopf's So-called 'Fragmenten' of Marino Sanudo Torsello, " Robert Lee Wolff, "The Origin of Merino Sheep, " Robert Sabatino Lopez, "Jewish Immigration and Communal Conflicts in Seventeenth Century Corfu, " Salo W. Baron, "Bikoret al Sefer Toldot Yaakov Yosef, " Mordecai Wilensky, "The Tarniks, " Duker, "Avraham Yakov Stern (1768-1842) , " Jacob Shatzky, "The Distribution of the Zadruga Within Southeastern Europe, " Philip E. Mopsely, "La Nouvelle Communaute Juives D'Athenes, " Philip E. Molho, "The Jews of Greece during the Second World War, " Philip Friedman, "Contemporary Yemenite Letters, " Wolf Leslau. SUBJECT(S) : Semitic philology. Jews -- History. Philologie sémitique. Juifs -- Histoire. Very Good Condition (FEST1-118).xxx (ID #27378) 25.00.