The Haggadah: Over 50 Examples, Bibliographies, and Histories
Just in time for Passover, we are pleased to offer you this collection of unusual hagadot as well as related bibliographies and historical studies.
We encourage you to also search our online inventory of over 8000 titles in Jewish & Holocuast Studies we have listed on line at www.DanWymanBooks.com. You’ll also find interesting and unusual titles in related and overlapping fields in our recent catalogs, all online at www.DanWymanBooks.com.
Several of you pointed out that when using Internet Explorer our site was not working properly. That problem has now been fixed, and we encourage you to browse and search recent catalogs.
As always, every item is offered subject to prior sale and is 100% returnable for any reason. Domestic shipping is generally $5.00 for the first item and $1.00 for each additional item. International shipments are at cost, generally $12.00 for smaller-size items and $25.00 for larger size items.
All prices are in US Dollars. We prefer payment by credit card, but also accept checks in US funds or www.paypal.com. We will also gladly invoice your institution. Please do not order via fax at this time.
And feel free to forward this list to other colleagues who may be interested.
Special thanks to Chris Sheehan for his outstanding work on this catalog.
We look forward to hearing from you and to helping you build your collection.
We wish you all the best for Passover and the season ahead.
1. THE PRATO HAGGADAH. [New York, Jewish Theological Seminary], 2006 (ca. 1300). Full leather, 14 x 21 cm, 160 pp + commentary. The Prato Haggadah (Spain, ca.1300) is an unfinished illuminated manuscript of 85 leaves, written on fine calf parchment. Folios 1–53 are written in a square Sephardic script and folios 54–68 are written in a square Italo-Ashkenazic script, using a different ink. The illumination of 30 pages is virtually complete. 58 are unfinished, with preparatory drawings and possibly some gesso and color, 50 have text only and the remaining pages are blank. Many of the pages have illuminated initial word panels, comparable to illuminated initials in Christian or secular manuscripts. Throughout, illustrations accompany the text, such as the depiction of the four sons, and illustrations of matza and maror (bitter herbs). Preparatory drawings depicting the story of Noah and the flood appear at the end of the manuscript. Margins are replete with fanciful drawings of hybrid creatures, imaginary birds, drolleries and climbing vines. The codex is especially fascinating because it demonstrates the making of a manuscript in the Middle Ages, enabling us to view its illumination after the text was written: the preparatory drawings, the laying down of gesso in order to cushion the gold leaf, the application of gold and silver leaf, and ultimately the application of pigments. The skill of the artist is of a very high order, both in the preparatory drawings and in the completed pages, whose brilliant colors look as fresh today as when they were applied. Printed and bound as an exact replica of the highest quality of the 13th Century illuminated manuscript in appropriate leather boards and parchment-like leaves. Limited edition of 250 copies. A treasure to behold. Leaf through the haggadah at http://www.jtslibrarytreasures.org/prato/prato.html. $4700.00
2. Kraemer, David; Stavisky, Nellie; Centeno, Silvia A.; Schmelzer, Menahem; Cohen, Evelyn M; Steinberger, Naomi M. THE PRATO HAGGADAH [COMPANION VOLUME]. New York: Library Of The Jewish Theological Seminary; 2007. Hardcover, 107 pages, facsims. color illustrations, 23 cm. Facsimile text in Hebrew and Aramaic; modern texts in English. Contents: The Prato Haggadah: an investigation into the artists’ and scribes’ materials and techniques, and conservation treatment. Nellie Stavisky and Silvia A. Centeno -- The liturgy of the Prato Haggadah. Menahem Schmelzer -- The art of the Prato Haggadah. Evelyn M. Cohen. SUBJECT (S): Jewish illumination of books and manuscripts. Title Subject: Prato Haggadah -- Facsimiles. Haggadah (Ms. Prato Haggadah). Haggadah --Illustrations. Haggadah (Sephardic).The Prato Haggadah, whose history, conservation, and anaylsis is the subject of this book, is a Sephardic Haggadah produced in Spain, ca. 1300, with incomplete illuminations. The manuscript lacks a colophon, but contains an Italian censor’s signature dated 1617. This is the companion volume to the facsimile edition (107 pages: color illustrations) produced in 2006, and contains an introduction and essays by David Kraemer... [et al. ]; edited by Naomi M. Steinberger. Includes bibliographical referenes. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide (JTS, Metropolitan Museum of Art, University of Pennsylvania, British Library). “Nothing at all is known of either the patron or scribe of the Prato Haggadah, and little is known of its whereabouts from the time it was produced in Spain, around 1300, until the time it was acquired by the JTS Library in l964. While the haggadah's text is written in accordance with the Spanish rite, at some point additional text, which included liturgical poems of the Ashkenazic rite, was added, most likely in Italy. A 1617 signature of an Italian church censor, Giovanni Domenico Carretto is proof that the manuscript actually was in Italy at the beginning of the seventeenth century. Nothing further is known of the haggadah's history until 1928, when it was in the possession of Dr. Ludwig Pollak, a native of Prague living in Rome. A distinguished humanist and collector of classical art, literary manuscripts, books and Judaica, Dr. Pollak promised the haggadah to his friend Rabbi David Prato, Chief Rabbi of Rome. After disagreements with the Fascist authorities in the late 1930s, Rabbi Prato moved to Palestine. Dr. Pollak, his wife and son, along with other members of the Jewish community of Rome, were deported to Auschwitz, where they perished. After the war, Rabbi Prato was recalled to his previous position in Rome and served the community until his death in 1951. Shortly after the Rabbi's demise, his only son Jeonathan, an Israeli diplomat en route to his post in Buenos Aires, was visited by the sister-in-law of Dr. Pollak in Rome. Knowing of Dr. Pollak's intention to donate the manuscript to the rabbi, she fulfilled the promise and gave the haggadah to the rabbi's only surviving heir. The Prato Haggadah was purchased by the JTS Library in 1964. The art of the Prato Haggadah is witty and imaginative. The manuscript is replete with decorated initial word panels, foliate ornamentation, and hybrid figures. Several illustrations relate directly to the text... The Prato Haggadah contains motifs common in medieval manuscripts, and many folios reflect the artist's sense of humor... For reasons that remain obscure, the manuscript's illumination was never completed. It is precisely the unfinished nature of the codex that allows the viewer to see the stages of production of an illuminated manuscript: the scribal arrangement of the text; the artist's preparatory drawings; the application of gesso to cushion gold or silver leaf; the addition of the leaf; the painting of a wide variety of pigments; and the outlining of the illuminations with ink. The text of the Prato Haggadah is also distinctive. Although it includes the standard biblical, talmudic, and midrashic texts, as well as the liturgical poetry common to other Spanish Haggadot, the Prato Haggadah lacks all elements associated with the Passover meal. Kiddush, blessings for matzah and maror, instructions for the feast itself, and grace after meals are absent. Scholars have suggested that Haggadot of this kind may have been written to be read publicly in the synagogue, after which people would return to their homes for the meal. This phenomenon is found in other Spanish Haggadot and is explained by medieval sources as satisfying the requirement to recount the story of the Exodus for people unable to lead or attend a seder. Many Sephardic Jews immigrated to Italy following the expulsions from the Iberian Peninsula at the end of the fifteenth century, often taking their manuscripts with them. Though we do not know when the Prato Haggadah left Spain, the manuscript includes an Ashkenazic liturgical section probably added in northern Italy in the sixteenth century and a censor's signature from Italy dated 1617. In addition, the volume contains many textual emendations and corrections inserted over several centuries. Though the Spanish or Ashkenazic sections of the manuscript cannot be definitively dated or localized, scribal practices and liturgical variants provide a general overview of the history of the manuscript and its owners” (JTS 2010). New condition. (Hag-1-1) (ID #27543) $75.00.
BIBLIOGRAPHY AND HISTORY
3. Abraham Yaari. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE PASSOVER HAGGADAH FROM THE EARLIEST PRINTED EDITION TO 1960. Erusalem, 1960. Hardcover, folio, xxix, 190, v pages. Very Good Condition in lightly chipped dust jacket. (Hag-4-1) (ID #27525) $130.00.
4. Daniel Volter. DER URSPRUNG VON PASSAH UND MAZZOTH. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1913. Softcover, 8vo, 32 pages. In German. Chipping to cover edges. Wear to pages. Otherwise, good condition. (Hag-4-6) (ID #27530) $30.00.
5. Duker, Abraham G. אגד־הגדות מלואים לרשימות ווינער ויערי EGED-HAGADOT MIL’UIM LI-RESHIMOT VINER VIERI. Yerushalayim, 1931. Softcover, 8vo, 33 pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Haggadot. Added title page in English. Outer Hebrew cover detached, lacks back cover. Tears and chipping to front Hebrew cover. Otherwise, pages in very good condition. (Hag-4-10) (ID #27534) $75.00.
6. Finkelstein, Louis. THE OLDEST MIDRASH: PRE-RABBINIC IDEALS AND TEACHINGS IN THE PASSOVER HAGGADAH. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1938. Softcover, 8vo, pages 291-317, 24 cm. SUBJECT (S): Midrash -- History. Aggada -- History. Cover title. Offprint from the Harvard Theological Review, Vol. 31, no. 4. Includes bibliographical references. Other Titles: Harvard Theological Review. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (U of Wisconsin, Hebrew Univ, U of Manchester). Hinge repair. Very good condition. (Hag-4-9) (ID #27533) $40.00.
7. Louis Finkelstein. PRE-MACCABEAN DOCUMENTS IN THE PASSOVER HAGGADAH. Harvard University Printing Office; Cambridge, Mass, 1943. Softcover, 8vo, 40, 38 pages. Offprint from the Harvard Theological Review, Vol XXXVI, Nr 1. Lightwear. Very good condition. (Hag-4-7) (ID #27531) $75.00.
8. Segal, J. B. THE HEBREW PASSOVER FROM THE EARLIEST TIMES TO A.D. 70. Oxford University Press, London, 1963. Hardcover, 8vo, xiv, 294 pages. London Oriental Series, Volume 12. Very good condition. (Hag-4-5) (ID #27529) $30.00.
Yosef Hayim Yerushalmi. HAGGADAH AND
Publication Society, 1975. Hardcover, folio. 494 pages. Signed
by author. Facsimile illustrations in Hebrew. Fold out map. Second printing. SUBJECT(S):
Judaism - prayer books and devotion; Printing, Hebrew; Haggadah. Yerushalmi (b.
1932) was educated at Yeshiva University, Columbia, and the Jewish Theological
Seminary of America. He became a
professor at Harvard in 1966, where he was later to be chairman of the
Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, and was elected as a
fellow of the American Academy of Jewish Research in 1972. In 1980, he became the director of Columbia's
Center for Israel and Jewish Studies.(EJ) Light chipping to dust jacket and tear to bottom corner inch of
front cover, text loss. Very good condition. Oversize, heavy volume.
(Hag-4-4) (ID #27528) $50.00.
10. Another Copy. Ex-library. Cover in dustjacket. Very good condition. (BIB-15-36) (LIC) (ID #21405) $40.00.
11. Zafren, Herbert, et al. STUDIES IN BIBLIOGRAPHY AND BOOKLORE VOLUME VII - 1965: THE HAGGADAH: PAST AND PRESENT. Cincinatti, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, 1965. Paper Wrappers, large 8vo, 129 [English], 35 [Hebrew] pages. Special volume devoted to the Bibliography of the Haggadah. Include's Wiener's Addenda to Yaari. Light wear to cover. Internal pages are nice and clean. Very good condition. (SPEC18-4). xx (ID #26651) $60.00.
12. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH. [Kibbutz] Kefar Giladi, 1945. Softcover, 8vo, 32 pages, illustrations. In Hebrew. Nice Holocaust-era Kibutz Hagadah, published by HaShomer HaTsair. SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Passover -- Prayer-books and devotions. Cover title. An adaption of the traditional text. Other Titles: Haggadah; Haggadah; Kibbuts version. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (JTS, Harvard). Fading to cover edges. Bumped cover corner. Pink underlining on page 6. (Hag-5-2) (ID #27545) $200.00.
13. HAGADAH VE-SEDER SHEL PESAH=FORM OF SERVICE FOR THE FIRST TWO NIGHTS OF THE FEAST OF PASSOVER. New York: Lewine & Rosenbaum, 1886. Hardcover, 8vo, 60 pages, illustrated, 22 cm. SUBJECT (S): Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. English and Hebrew in parallel columns. Hebrew title romanized. Other Titles: Haggadah. English & Hebrew. Form of service for the first two nights of the feast of Passover. New illustrated edition. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (Brandeis, North Park, Duke). Period notes throughout.In attractive period marbled boards. Good condition. (Hag-2-2/2a) (ID #27518/9) $250.00.
14. A LIST OF MATERIAL FOR PASSOVER [BOOKSELLER CATALOG]. Bloch Publishing Co. New York, 1934. Softcover, 12mo, 32 pages. “Featured In This Issue. Interesting Notes and News. A List of Recent Publications” Number 22, March-April. Lightwear. Very good condition. (Hag-4-17) (ID #27541) $45.00.
15. THE PASSOVER HAGADAH. Warsaw: Monolit Pr. 1934. Softcover, 59 pages, illustrated, 25 cm. In English and Hebrew, commentary in Yiddish. Added title page in Hebrew. Yaari no.2188. Other Titles: Tefillot. Hagadah. English. 1934. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Bar Ilan U). Hinge repair. Light water stain on some pages. Chipped edges of first 10 pages. Chipped cover edges and corners. Otherwise, good condition. (hag-4-13) (ID #27537) $75.00.
16. SEDER HAGADAH SHEL PESAH=ERZAHLUNG VON DEM AUSZUGE ISRAELS AUS EGYPTEN AN DEN BEIDEN ERSTEN PESSACH-ABENDEN. New York: J. Rosenbaum, 1889. Softcover, 12mo, 70 pages, 19 cm. In Hebrew and German. Other Titles: Haggadah. Hagadah shel Pesah; Erzahlung von dem Auszuge Israels aus Egypten an den beiden ersten Pessach-Abenden; Haggadah.; German.; 1889. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Univ of Denver, JTS). Wear and chipping to first and last leaves. In attractive blank paper covers. Very good condition thus. (Hag-2-1) (ID #27517) $200.00.
17. (Haggadah) Form of Service for the Two First Nights of the Feast of Passover. Haggadah Seder Shel Pesah.. New York: Hebrew Publishing Co. . Octavo, original burgundy pictorial boards with mock-gilt and original cloth binding. 64 pages. "New illustrated edition," with 11 half-page wood engraved illustrations, and with New York State Bank illustrated advertisements on the front and rear pastedowns and text only ad on rear cover in English. Stamped "Open Evenings" Text in Hebrew with English translation; Yiddish page at rear ("Jewish-German Translation of [Adir Hu]"). Yudlov 2406. Some wear to boards, two pages repaired with old cellophane tape, occational stains, etc. as generally found. A Nice copy. (AMR-8-18/19) (ID #16856/7) $100.00.
18. SEDER HAGGADAH SHEL PESACH (HAMBURG, 1731 FACSIMILE). New York: Orphan Hospital Ward Of Israel, 1961. Paperback, 12mo. Includes black
and white illustrations. In Hebrew with title page and page of explanation in
English. “First printed edition of a haggadah from a
parchment manuscript of the early eighteenth century, Anno 1731 Hamburg. ” From a series of 29 facsimiles of 18th century haggadot put out yearly by the publisher. Very Good Condition,
slight discoloration on cover. (K-HAG-b) (ID #21213) $30.00.
We have other interesting facsimile haggadahs from the Orphan Hospital Ward of Israel available as well. Please ask.
19. Abraham Ben Jacob and Isaac Abravanel. SEDER HAGADAH SHEL PESAH, AMSHTERDAM 455. THE PASSOVER HAGGADAH, AMSTERDAM 1695. Jerusalem: Adam Publishers, 1983. Hard/Softcover, Folio, 26 leaves, illustrated, map, 35 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Haggadot -- Texts. Haggadot -- Commentaries. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Haggadot -- Illustrations. Vocalized text. “A limited facsimile edition of 1000 numbered copies. ” Includes commentaries by Abravanel. “The Adam Judaica library. ” Reprint. Originally published: Amsterdam, 1695. Other Titles: Haggadah. ; The Passover Haggadah, Amsterdam 1695.; Amsterdam Haggadah.; The Amsterdam 1695 Passover Haggadah. OCLC lists 10 copies worldwide. Wear and tear to outer plastic box. Very good condition. (Art-9-8) (ID #25690) $125.00.
19A. Abravanel, Isaac, Uri Faybesh Ben Yitshak Ayzak Segal and Chaya Benjamin. הגדת קופנהגן: אלטונה־המבורג, תצ״ט (1739) HAGADAT KOPENHAGEN, 489 [Z.O. 499]: (FAKSIMILEH) = COPENHAGEN HAGGADAH: (FACSIMILE). Tel-Aviv: Nahar U-Staimatski, 1986. Hardcover, 4to, 68 pages, all color facsimile, 33 cm. SUBJECT(S): Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Judaism -- Sephardic rite -- Liturgy -- Texts. Jewish illumination of books and manuscripts. Manuscripts, Hebrew -- Facsimiles. Copenhagen Haggadah. Haggadah. Text in Hebrew; rubrics in Ladino and Yiddish. Colophon title. Spine title: Hagadah. Caption title: Seder Hagadah shel Pesah ke-minhag Ashkenazim ukhe-minhag Sefaradim. “'Im perush Abravanell”--Caption title page. “ha-Kotev... Uri Faybesh ben... Yitshak Ayzak Hazan Segal”--Originial colophon. Facsimile of a manuscript in the Kongelige Bibliotek (Denmark). Accompanied by introductory material in English and Hebrew, including 2 bibliographies, prepared by Chaya Benjamin. Other Titles: Haggadah (Ms. Copenhagen Haggadah); Copenhagen Haggadah.; Hagadat Kopenhagen, 499.; Seder Hagadah shel Pesah ke-minhag Ashkenazim ukhe-minhag Sefaradim.; Hagadah. OCLC lists 30 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (Art-14-2) (ID #25741) $40.00.
20. Alshekh, Moses. בית חורין: והוא סדר הגדה של פסח עם פרושי׳ מלוקטים משלשה עמודי עולם: מהר״מ אלשיך, גבורות ה׳, עוללות אפרים BET HORIN: VE-HU SEDER HAGADAH SHEL PESAH. A Metz, Chex Joseph Antoine, 1767. Hardcover, 8vo, 64 leaves, 1 folded leaf of plates, illustrated, 25 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Haggadah. Title on added title page: Beith horin. “Huts’ah le-or mi-ta’am ‘KEren ha-revAhah’ lema’an yalde ha-metsukah be-Yisra’el” on title page verso. Originally published: Metz: J. Antoine, 1767. “ha-Hagadah ha-me'uteret ha-rishonah she-nidpesah be-Tsarefat.” Introduction in Hebrew and French inserted. Other Titles: Haggadah.; Beith horin.; Seder Hagadah shel Pesah.; Hagadah shel pesah. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (JTS of AM, Libr of Congress, Brandeis). Lacks map. Wear and chipping to cover edges and corners. Hinge repair. 1 leaf of hand drawn pages (including illustration!), replacing part of torn leaf. Stained pages. Writing inside back cover. Otherwise, good condition. (Heb-30-14) (ID #27047) $500.00.
21. Andrew Klein and Morris Levinson. MODEL SEDER HAGGADAH FOR HEBREW SCHOOLS. No Date. Ca 1940? Softcover, 8vo, 18 pages. Walk through of the haggadah, with popular songs in Hebrew and music notes. Light wear. Very good condition. (Hag-4-16) (ID #27540) $35.00.
22. Arranged and edited by Rabbi Menahem M. Kasher. ISRAEL PASSOVER HAGGADAH / HAGADAT – PESACH ERETZ YISRAEL. N. Y.: American Biblical Encyclopedia Society, 1950, 1957. Cloth, 8vo, 11, 335 pages; 26cm. In English & Hebrew. Includes color & black & white illustrations. Very Good Condition. Missing jacket. (K-HAG) (ID #25578) $30.00.
23. Arranged and edited by Rabbi Menahem M. Kasher. ISRAEL PASSOVER HAGGADAH / HAGADAT – PESACH ERETZ YISRAEL. N. Y.: American Biblical Encyclopedia Society, 1950, 1962. Cloth, 8vo, 11, 335 pages; 26cm. In English & Hebrew. Includes color & black & white illustrations. Very Good Condition in very good jacket. (K-HAG-a) (ID #21208) $30.00.
24. Bamberger, S. Wolf Heidenheim and Stanislaus Bender. ERZAHLUNG VON DEM AUSZUGE AUS AGYPTEN = [SEDER HA-HAGADAH LE-LEL SHIMURIM]: FUR DIE BEIDEN ERSTEN PESSACHABENDE [! ]. Frankfurt A. M.: M. Lehrberger & Co. 1926. Hardcover, 12mo, 64 pages, illustrated, 21 cm. In German. Ex-library. Hinge repair. Front cover not attached to binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (Hag-4-14) (ID #27538) $40.00.
25. Eisenstein, Judah David. Illustrated by Lola [Sic]. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH: `IM OTIYOT ME`UTAROT VE-TSIYURIM B-TSEVA`IM SHONIM LE-SEDER LEL HAG HA-MATSOT. PETAH DAVAR, HAKDAMAH, HE`AROT U-MEKOROT. HAGADA; THE NARRATIVE OF ISRAEL'S REDEMPTION FROM EGYPT. SEDER RITUAL FOR PASSOVER-EVE; HAGADA. New York, Hebrew Publishing Company, 1928. Original Publisher's Cloth, 12mo. iv-xviii, 72, 71 pages. Includes many illustrations. 19 cm. In Hebrew with added English title page. Yaari Nr. 2097. Paginated in duplicate. "New translation with annotations by J. D. Eisenstein....Targum hadash be-lashon Anglit tsahah `al yede Yehudah David Aizenstin. Mugah `al pi huke ha-dikduk `im makfim ve-mafsikim, matgim be-milot she-hen mal`il, ve-tsiyun `al sheva na`. " Attractive blue cloth with period sphynx & pyramid illustration on cover. OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. Spine slightly tanned. Previous owner's stamp and name on inside cover. Very nice copy. Very Good Condition. (HOLO2-62-26A) (ID #27501) $75.00.
26. Another Copy. Spine slightly tanned. Previous owner's stamp and name on inside cover. In-text notes on several pages, but mostly a nice clean copy. Good+ Condition. (HOLO2-62-26) (ID #27500) $75.00.
27. Forst, Siegmund and Abraham Regelson. SEDER HAGADAH SHEL PESAH: 'IMITURIM VE-TSIYURIM. New York; Shiloh, 1941. Hardcover, 4to, 105 pages, illustrated, 23 cm. In English and Hebrew on opposite pages. Beautiful modernist mid-century color illustrations. SUBJECT (S): Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Haggadah -- Illustrations. Illustrated lining-papers. Other Titles: Haggadah. English & Hebrew.; Passover Haggada; Hagadah shel Pesah' ; Haggada of Passover; Haggadah. OCLC lists 15 copies worldwide. Wear to cover binding corners and edges. Very good condition. (Hag-2-7) (ID #27523) $100.00.
28. Fridman, Avraham Aharon. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH; ‘IM SHENE PERUSHIM KOLELIM BET AVRAHAM, BET AHARON. New York: Mifal Mutzalay Esh, 1974. Hardcover, 4to, 146 (i. E. 292) pages, 29 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Passover -- Prayer-books and devotions. Added title page: Haggadah Mutzal me'esh. Introduction also in English. Other Titles: Haggadah.; Bet Aharon.; Bet Avraham.; Hagadah mutsal me-‘esh. OCLC lists 15 copies worldwide. Included with a letter from the Mutzalay Esh Foundation. Very good condition. (Hag-2-4) (ID #27509) $50.00.
29. Ganzfried, Solomon Ben Joseph and Yehuda Ary Klein. הלכות פסח: מקצור שלחן ערוך PESZACH TORVENYEI. Budapest: A Fordito Kiadasa, 1927. Softcover, 8vo, 66 pages. In Hungarian. Hebrew and Hungarian in parallel columns. Date from preface. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (Libr of Congress, Nat Libr of Israel, Harvard). Chipping to edges of cover. Fragile cover and some fragile pages. Spine repair. Browning of pages. Otherwise, good condition. (Hag-4-12) (ID #27536) $75.00.
30. Gassenbauer, Benzion. SEDER HAGGADAH SHEL PESAH: NIKRET BE-SHEM SHULHAN HA-TAHOR, 'IM PE. ZEH MI-TSIYON MI-KELAL YOFI: KOLEL MA'AMARIM. Lemberg, 1908. Hardcover, 8vo, 60 [i. E. 120] pages, 25 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Haggadot -- Texts. Haggadah. Other Titles: Haggadah.; Shulhan ha-tahor. OCLC lists 11 copies worldwide. Hinge repair. Wear to binding. Lightly stained edges of pages. Chipped and worn cover edges, binding and corners. Good condition. (Hag-2-8) (ID #27524) $65.00.
31. Ginzberg, Louis. DIE HAGGADA BEI DEN KIRCHENVATERN: EXODUS,. Warschau (Warsaw) , 1927. Paperwrappers, 199-216 pages (i. E. 17 pages) , 4to, 29 cm. In German. "Sonderabdruck aus Livre d'hommage a la memoire du dr Samuel Poznanski". Cover-title. Ginzberg (1873-1953) was “one of the outstanding Talmud scholars of the first half of the 20th century; leader and the major halakhic authority of the Conservative movement in North America. Born in Kovno, Lithuania, Ginzberg received a typical East European Jewish education: private tutors, four years of study at the Telz and Slobodka yeshivot, and academic studies at three German universities. After studying with Noeldeke at Strassburg, he received his doctorate from the University of Heidelberg in 1898 for his study of the midrashim quoted by the Church Fathers. Ginzberg was a direct descendant (sixth generation) of Abraham, brother of Elijah, the Gaon of Vilna. He was acutely aware of his ancestry and refers to the Gaon frequently as "dodi zekeni" (my great uncle) , "the pride of our family, " my famous ancestor, and the like. Ginzberg's father and mother were extremely pious Jews and even though he became more liberal when he left home at age 15, he remained an observant Jew for the rest of his life. Nonetheless, he was plagued until his death by a certain ambivalence about following the path of Wissenschaft des Judentums. Ginzberg was a brilliant polymath, "a walking encyclopedia. " He knew most of the Bible by heart at age seven and had mastered much of rabbinic literature by age 14. His magnum opus, The Legends of the Jews, contains 36, 000 references which Ginzberg kept in his head. In addition to rabbinics, Ginzberg was an expert in philosophy, Kabbalah, and mathematics and he knew at least 12 languages. ” (Golinkin in EJ, 2007). SUBJECT(S): Haggadah. Fathers of the church -- History and criticism. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide (Stanford, John Hopkins, UTS, U of Penn). Ex-library. Mr. Louis Epstein’s copy. Hinge repair. Chippings to title page, no text loss. Otherwise, good condition. (rab-33-11) (ID #24165) $40.00.
32. Goodman, Philip. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH = PASSOVER HAGGADAH: SEDER PROGRAM FOR YOUTH CELEBRATIONS. New York City: Institutional Synagogue, 1935. No Date. Ca 1935? Softcover, 37 leaves, illustrated, 22 cm. Mimeographed. SUBJECT (S): Passover -- Prayers and devotions. Seder. Haggadah -- Adaptations. Berman no. 896. Other Titles: Passover Haggadah. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Lib of Congress, JTS). Chipping to cover spine. Otherwise, very good condition. (Hag-4-11) (ID #27535) $35.00.
33. Horowitz, Phinehas ben Zevi Hirsch,; ha-Levi,; 1730-1805. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH: `IM PERUSH... ME-ET... PINHAS HA-LEVI... HORVITS .... Koshitse (Kosice, Slovakia): Bukdrukeri Viko, 1946. Original publisher's redhardcover binding with text on cover, 8vo, 45 pages, 24cm. In Hebrew. Yaarinumber: 2348. "Perush haflaah." Early post-war hagadah published in Slovakiafor Jewish survivors. Light wear, Very Good Condition, uncommon. $200.00 (ID #27551) $200.00.
34. Japhet, J. M. HAGGADAH FUR PESACH. Frankfurt Am Main: J. Kauffmann, 1891. Hardcover, 12mo, vi, 113, iv pages, music. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Passover -- Prayer-books and devotions. Text in Hebrew and/or German. Other Titles: Haggadah.; Haggadah. ; German. Japhet (1818-1892) was a “German composer and teacher. Born in Kassel, Japhet taught at Gudensberg before being appointed choir leader and teacher of the Orthodox congregation in Frankfurt in 1853, where he remained until his death. He published Metek Sefatayim; Hebraeische Sprachlehre, a Hebrew grammar in two volumes; a book on the accents of the Bible entitled Moreh ha-Kore; Die Accente der Heiligen Schrift, with the notation of the accents according to the German-Jewish tradition; and a Passover Haggadah with translation and commentary in German and including four traditional tunes set for two and four voices. Japhet’s most influential work was Schire Jeschurun, a collection of 101 synagogue melodies for cantor and choir in three volumes: the first for the evening and the second for the morning services of Sabbath and festivals; the last for various occasions, such as Simhat Torah and the Sabbath. Their style shows a melodious simplicity and uncomplicated classical harmony which conforms to the general tendencies of the German synagogue of his time” (Ne’eman in EJ, 2007). OCLC lists 6 copies worldwide. Ex-library. Wear and piece of cover binding torn off. Wear to binding. Some stained pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (Hag-2-3) (ID #27520) $50.00.
35. Joseph Ben David; Of Leipnik. Green, Aaron Asher. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH: ALTONA, GERMANY, 1738. Tel Aviv: W. Turnowsky, 1987. Hardcover, 4to, 62 pages, all color facsims. Text in Hebrew; rubrics in Yiddish. SUBJECT(S): Descriptor: Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Jewish illumination of books and manuscripts. Manuscripts, Hebrew -- Facsimiles. Colophon title. Spine title: Hagadah. Caption title: Zeh ha-seder Hagadah shel Pesah. Accompanied by reprinted text of English translation of the Haggadah by Aaron Asher Green, London, 1898; and by one folded manuscript description sheet with text in English and Hebrew. Issued in slipcase. Excellent condition. (Art-3-16A) (ID #25857) $100.00.
36. Klenicki, Leon, editor and translator. (HAGGADAH) CELEBRACIÓN DE LA PASCUA. Buenos Aires: Ediciones Paulinas, 1984. Paper wrappers; small 8vo; 83 pages. Series: Biblia vida; 11. Other Titles: Biblia vida; 11 Very good condition. (SP-1). (ID #10112) $25.00.
37. Kohen, Gerschom. DIE PESSACH-HAGGADAH [HAGGADA SHEL PESAH] DES GERSCHOM KOHEN PRAG 5287/1527; [AUSG. FUR D. MITGLIEDER D. SONCINO-GESELLSCHAFT... NEBEN D. ALLGEMEINEN AUSG... IM VERL. JOSEF ALTMANN, BERLIN... AUF VAN GELDERN-HOLLAND-BUTTEN]. Berlin Soncino-Gesellschaft, 1926. Hardcover, folio, 14, 75 pages, illustrated. In Hebrew. Edition: Faks. -Dr. Der zu Prag 5287 (1527) gedr. Haggadah. Series: Sonderpublikation der Soncino-Gesellschaft der Freunde des Judischen Buches e. V. Berlin; 2; Monumenta Hebraica et Iudaica; 1; Monumenta Hebraica et Judaica; 1; Variation: Sonderpublikation der Soncino-Gesellschaft der Freunde des Judischen Buches e. V. , Berlin; 2.; Monumenta Hebraica et Iudaica; 1.; Monumenta Hebraica et Judaica; 1.; Soncino-Gesellschaft der Freunde des Judischen Buches; Sonderpublikation der Soncino-Gesellschaft der Freunde des Judischen Buches e. V. Berlin; 2. SUBJECT(S): Buch. Soncino-Gesellschaft der Freunde des Judischen Buches. Hebraisch. Hagadah shel Pesah. Other Titles: Haggada. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide. 1 of 800 copies published. Includes booklet. Light chipping to edges of dust jacket. Otherwise, book in very good condition. (Hag-4-3) (ID #27527) $225.00.
38. State Bank (New York). הגדה וסדר של פסח FORM OF SERVICE FOR THE TWO FIRST NIGHTS OF THE FEAST OF PASSOVER: WITH ENGLISH TRANSLATION. New York: State Bank, No Date (1900?) Softcover, 12mo, 63 pages, illustrations, 15 cm. In Hebrew and English. SUBJECT(S): Title Subject: Haggada shel Pesah. כותר נוסף: הגדה וסדר של פסח. English and Hebrew in parallel columns. Cover title: Passover. “Compliments of the Jewish daily news” -- cover. Added title page: form of service for the two first nights of the feast of Passover. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (National Library of Israel). Stain to pages. Yellowing of pages. Binding in good condition. Bumped corners. Good condition. (Hag-5-1) (ID #27544) $50.00.
39. Levin, Meyer. AN ISRAEL HAGGADAH FOR PASSOVER. . 8vo. 126 pages. Photograph illustration. In Hebrew and English, with music. Warmly inscribed to Abraham Katsh by author Meyer Levin. SUBJECT (S): Haggadot - texts; Seder - liturgy - texts; Judaism - liturgy - texts; Haggadah Very good condition. (HAG-1a) (ID #19491) $50.00.
40. Maimonides, Moses; Elijah Ben Solomon. הגדה לפסח נוסח הרמב״ם בספרו היד החזקה:...עפ״י סדר מנהגי הגר״א... HAGADAH LE-PESAH NUSAH HA-RAMBAM BE-SIFRO HA-YAD HA-HAZAKAH:... AL PI SEDER MINHAGE HA-GRA.... Tel Aviv: A. Landa, 1935. Softcover, 8vo, 56 pages, illustrations (includes portrait) , 23 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Passover -- Prayer-books and devotions. At head of title: La-hagigat melot 800 shanah shel Rabenu Mosheh ben Maimon, ha-Rambam. Maimonides (Moses ben Maimon; known in rabbinical literature as “Rambam”; from the acronym Rabbi Moses Ben Maimon; 1135–1204) was a “rabbinic authority, codifier, philosopher, and royal physician” (Rabinowitz, Louis Isaac, et al. In EJ 2010). OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide (Cornell, Yale, Emory, Spertus, Harvard, Duke, HUC). Tears to edges of cover. Staining to cover. Yellowing of pages. Binding in good condition. (Hag-5-12) (ID #27549) $135.00.
41. Mas-Nak, Dr. הגדה מפורים עד פסח וא׳ ל־אפרל בכלל (ולכל ימות השנה) HAGADAH MI-PURIM ‘AD PESAH VE-1 LE-APRIL BI-KHELAL (ULE-KHOL YEMOT HA-SHANAH). Yerushalayim, 1923. Softcover, 12mo, 16 pages, 18 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Passover -- Humor. Jewish wit and humor. Satire, Hebrew -- Israel. Title Subject: Haggadah -- Parodies, imitations, etc. OCLC lists 6 copies worldwide (Stanford, Yale, Brandeis, Harvard, HUC, Nat Lib Israel). Light staining to edges of cover. Lightly bumped corners. Excellent condition. (Hag-5-7) (ID #27547) $225.00.
42. Moretti, Raymond; Askenazi, Leon; Goren, Shlomo. HAGGADAH DE LA VE COUPE. Montreuil: A. Et G. Israel; Monaco: Ed. Du Rocher, Impr. Lescaret, 1980. Softcover, folio, 157 pages, illustrations en noir et en coul. , couv. Illustrations en coul. , 30 cm. In multiple languages; Texte hebreu et traduction francaise en regard. Series: Collection Atsour. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Bibliotheque Satinte-Genevieve, Bibliotheque Nationale de France). Lightly bumped edges and corners. Color illustrations. Good condition. (Hag-5-8) (ID #27548) $100.00.
43. Moses, Isaac S. and Adolph Moses, compilers. SEDER HAGADAH: DOMESTIC SERVICE FOR THE EVE OF PASSOVER (ADAPTED FROM THE GERMAN OF LEOPOLD STEIN). New York: Bloch, 1907. Softcover, 12mo, 63 pages, music, 19 cm. 5th Revised and Enlarged Edition. SUBJECT (S): Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Other Titles: Haggadah. English & Hebrew. Moses (1847-1926) was a “U. S. Reform rabbi. Moses, who was born in Zaniemysl, Poznan, had not completed his education before he settled in the United States in the early 1870s. He was appointed to rabbinic positions in Quincy, Illinois, Milwaukee, and Chicago. In 1901 he became rabbi of the Central Synagogue, New York, where he remained until his retirement in 1919. In his early days in the United States, Moses was considered a radical Reformer, but later he took a more moderate position. In 1884 he introduced his own prayer book (Tefillat Yisrael). Moses was a founding member of the Central Conference of American Rabbis and a member of the Reform committee charged with compiling an official prayer book. The appearance of the Union Prayer Book in 1894 has been credited to his personal initiative in preparing and circulating a manuscript when the committee’s work seemed to be leading nowhere. Moses also published a number of sermons and textbooks for children. His Sabbath School Hymnal, first issued in 1894, ran into 14 editions. While in Milwaukee, he edited the weekly Der Zeitgeist” (Temkin in EJ, 2007). OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (Harvard, Hebrew Union, Nat Lib of Israel). Light wear to binding. Very good condition. (Sef-21-25) xx (ID #25196) $50.00.
43a. Moses, Isaac S. and Adolph Moses, compilers. SEDER HAGADAH: DOMESTIC SERVICE FOR THE EVE OF PASSOVER (ADAPTED FROM THE GERMAN OF LEOPOLD STEIN). New York: No Publisher, 1902. Softcover, 12mo, 56 pages, music, 19 cm. 3d revised and Enlarged Edition. SUBJECT (S): Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Other Titles: Haggadah. English & Hebrew. Moses (1847-1926) was a "U. S. Reform rabbi. Moses, who was born in Zaniemysl, Poznan, had not completed his education before he settled in the United States in the early 1870s. He was appointed to rabbinic positions in Quincy, Illinois, Milwaukee, and Chicago. In 1901 he became rabbi of the Central Synagogue, New York, where he remained until his retirement in 1919. In his early days in the United States, Moses was considered a radical Reformer, but later he took a more moderate position. In 1884 he introduced his own prayer book (Tefillat Yisrael). Moses was a founding member of the Central Conference of American Rabbis and a member of the Reform committee charged with compiling an official prayer book. The appearance of the Union Prayer Book in 1894 has been credited to his personal initiative in preparing and circulating a manuscript when the committee's work seemed to be leading nowhere. Moses also published a number of sermons and textbooks for children. His Sabbath School Hymnal, first issued in 1894, ran into 14 editions. While in Milwaukee, he edited the weekly Der Zeitgeist" (Temkin in EJ, 2007). OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (Harvard, Hebrew Union, Nat Lib of Israel). Light wear to binding. Very good condition. (Sef-21-26) (ID #25197) $50.00
44. Owshey Rabinowitz. הגדה של פסח עם תודת יהושע: באורים על דרך הדרוש אשר עשיתי יהושע העשיל ראבינאוויטש HAGADAH SHEL PESAH IM TODAT YEHOSHUA: BEURIM AL DEREKH HA-DERUSH.... Brooklyn: Be-Hotsaat Yeshivat Hayim Berlin, 1935. Hardcover, 140 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. Haggadah. OCLC lists 14 copies worldwide. Hinge repair. Lightly stained pages. Wear to cover corners and binding. Good condition. (Heb-17-1) (ID #26716) $100.00.
45. Peled-Carmeli, Haviva. המצייר ביציאת מצרים : הגדות מצוירות מן המאה הי״ח ILLUSTRATED HAGGADOT OF THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY/ HA-METSAYER BI-YETSIAT. Jerusalem: The Israel Museum, 1983. Paper Wrappers, Large 8vo, 35, 109 pages. In Hebrew, with Introduction in English as well. Catalog from a major exhibit at the Israel Museum, with rich color and black 7 white illustrations. Jewish Art Scholar Joseph Gutmann’s copy, with notes laid in. Soft cover with dustjacket. Includes bibliographical references (p. 109). Small tear to cover. Very Good Condition. (SPEC-19-8) (ID #21215) $35.00.
46. Raskin, Saul. HAGADAH FOR PASSOVER. New York: Printed By The Academy Photo Offset, 1941. Hardcover, Folio, 92 pages, illustrated, 36 cm. Raskin was born in Nogaysk, Russia. At the age of 15 he studied lithography in Odessa and later attended art academies in Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland. After migrating to America in 1904 he became a multifaceted artist and produced etchings, paintings, water colors and even cartoons. He became a famed illustrator of Jewish subjects and was also a lecturer, writer and teacher. His work has been exhibited in the US and in Israel. SUBJECT (S): Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Text in English & Hebrew; ceremonial directions in English. Hebrew title romanized. “Ha-tsiyurim ma'aseh yede Sha'ul Raskin”—Title page verso. Imprint from title page verso. Color printing; title page in green and purple. Other Titles: Haggadah. English & Hebrew. Staining inside front and back cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (Art-9-5) (ID #25687) $30.00.
47. Royzenblum, Shemu'el Ben Sh. Joseph Ben Abraham Gikatilla, Elijah Ben Solomon, Emden, Jacob, Eliezer Ben Elijah Ashkenazi, Isaac Ben Moses Arama. סדר הגדה של פסח: הנקראה בשם שפתי רננות: תוכה ... חמשה פירושים... SEDER HAGADAH SHEL PESAH: HA-NIKRA’AH BE-SHEM SIFTE RENANOT: TOKHAH... HAMISHAH PERUSHIM.... Varsha: Bi-Defus N. Shriftgisser, 1862. Hardcover, 8vo, 38 leaves (i.e. 76 pages), In Hebrew. “1. Tsafnat paneah le-rabenu Yosef Gikatilya -- 2. Perush rabenu Eliyahu ha-gaon mi-Vilna -- 3. Sha'are shamayim leha-gaon Yabets -- 4. Ma’aseh Mitsrayim leha-gaon Eliezer Ashkenazi -- 5. Perush melukat mi-sefer 'Akedat Yitshak le-rabenu Yitshak 'Aramah”. Other Titles: Haggadah.; Sifte renanot.; Perush ha-Gera.; Tsafnat pa’neah.; Perush Eliyahu mi-Vilna.; Sha'are shamayim.; Ma'aseh Mitsrayim.; 'Akedat Yitshak. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (JTS). Hinge repair. Chipped cover edges. Some stained pages. Otherwise, good condition. (Hag-4-15) (ID #27539) $125.00.
48. Schwarz, Karl. DIE PRAGER HAGADA VON 1526: 19 ABBILDUNGEN AUS DEM ERSTEN HOLZSCHNITTDRUCK DER PESSAH-HAGADA. Berlin: Verlag Fur Judische Kunst Und Kultur, 1920. Softcover, 12mo, 25 pages, illustrations, 18 cm. In German and Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Haggadot -- Commentaries. Series: Judische Bucherei; ; Bd. 3. Cover title: Bilder aus der Prager Hagada. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide (Bar Ilan, Israel Inst Tech, U of Amsterdam, Tresoar, HUC, McGill, Nat Lib Israel). Yellowing of pages. Edge of cover and pages near binding punctured. Bumped corners. Binding in good condition. (Hag-5-4) (ID #27546) $75.00.
49. Wengrov, Charles; Cohen, Gershom. HAGGADAH AND WOODCUT: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE PASSOVER HAGGADAH COMPLETED BY GERSHOM COHEN IN PRAGUE, SUNDAY, 26 TEVETH, 5287 (DEC. 30, 1526). New York: Shulsinger Bros. 1967. Hardcover, 8, 136 pages, 10 leaves of plates, illustrations, facsims, 29 cm. SUBJECT (S): Title Subject: Haggadah -- Illustrations. “Published to accompany its fasimile edition. ” Berman no. 806 (x-Copy). Bibliography: 8th preliminary page. OCLC lists 32 copies worldwide. Light wear to binding. Excellent condition. (Spec-27-4) (ID #27062) $35.00.
50. Kohen, Gershom. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH: MI-BET DEFUSO SHEL FERSHOM KOHEN, PRAG 5287 = THE HAGGADAH OF PASSOVER: A FACSIMILE OF THE PRAGUE HAGGADAH, 1526 AT THE PRESS OF SHULSINGER BROTHERS. New York: Defus Ha-Ahim Shulzinger, 1964. Hardcover, Folio, 1 volume unpaged, illustrated, 36 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Other Titles: Haggadah.; Haggadah of Passover; Hagadah shel Prag, 287. OCLC lists 9 copies worldwide. Light wear to outer binding. Very good condition. (Hag-4-2) (ID #27526) $75.00.
51. Weiss, Avraham. הגדה לסדר יום השואה HAGGADAH FOR THE YOM HASHOAH SEDER = HAGADAH LE-SEDER YOM HA-SHO'AH. Hackensack, N. J. Coalition For Jewish Concerns-Amcha. Jonas Publishing, 2000. Paper Wraps. 8vo. 47 pages. Ill. 23 cm. In English and Hebrew. A collection of prayers to be read on Yom HaShoah, or Holocaust Remembrance Day. ISBN: 0615115195. SUBJECT: Holocaust Remembrance Day -- Prayers and devotions -- English. A seder conducted on Holocaust Remembrance day at the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale. OCLC lists 13 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (HOLO2-35-22) (ID #26153) $30.00.
52. William B Goldfarb. WARSAW AND JERUSALEM. A HAGADA FOR OUR TIME. Cleveland; Yiddish Cultural Committee Of The Jewish Community Center, 1962. Softcover, 12mo, 20 pages, 23 cm. Interesting Warsaw-uprising-themed hagadah, published in time for the 20th anniversary of the revolt. SUBJECT (S): Warsaw (Poland) -- History -- Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, 1943. Independence Day. Light wear. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (HUC & GWU) Very good condition. Scarce (Holo2-58-2) (ID #26495) $175.00.
53. Freedman, Jacob. POLYCHROME HISTORICAL HAGGADAH FOR PASSOVER, HAGGADAH. Hardcover. 8vo. Springfield, MA, Jacob Freedman Liturgy Research Foundation, 1974. Cloth, 4to, xxvi, 134 pages. Illustrates the quilt like nature of the text by cooler coding Bible, Mishnah, Talmudic passages (etc.) based on when they were added to the Haggadah as we know it today. In his article for volume 77 of the American Jewish Year Book entitled "Jewish Scholarship in the United States: Selections from the Literature, 1973-1975," Menahem Schmelzer highlighted Freedman's Polychrome Haggadah: "Seven colors indicate the seven periods, from biblical to modern, in which the various layers of the Haggadah came into being. Marginal comments on each passage give the source and comprehensive references to scholarly literature. Freedman's new translation and reproductions of many beautiful pages from medieval Haggadah manuscripts make this Haggadah particularly attractive." (1977, pp. 211-212). OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide.Very Good Condition in worn but good Jacket (HAG-1) (ID #12597) $325.00
54. Barrett, George. PASSOVER IN KOREA. New York, Community Relations Service Binding: Hardback. small 8vo. 3 pages. Reprinted from the New York Times, April 22, 1 951. Illustrated. Memo from the Community Service Department of the Ameri can Jewish Committee laid in. OCLC lists one copy worldwide. Excellent condition. (PC-1) (ID #15349). $100.00
55. Blum, Loeb. Translator. הגדה של פסח. LA HAGGADAH DE PESSACH. Tel-Aviv, Sinai. 1967. Original Paper Wrappers. 8vo. 77,  pages. illus. In French and Hebrew. Title page subheading: "Accompagnée de nombreuses planches et de notes de musique" [Accompanied by numerous plates and music]. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Sistema Bibliotecario Ticinese, National Library of Israel). Covers show some bumping and staining. Backstrip repaired. Internal pages nice and clean. Good+ condition. (HAG5-10) $40.00
56. Werner, Eric. TUNES FROM THE HAGGADAH. Cincinnati, Ohio, Library of the Hebrew Union College. 1965. Original Paper Wrappers. 8vo. 57-83 pages. 26 cm. Offprint from Studies in Bibliography and Booklore, Volume VII (1965). Examines, in-depth, the songs of the traditional pre-World War I Seder. Includes musical notation. Author's name on cover. Very good condition. (HAG5-11) $30.00
57. Vainberg, Rabino Samuel. GUIA DE PESAJ. Panama, B'Nai B'Rith District XXIII. 1981. Original Paper Wrappers. 8vo. 18 pages. illus. 22 cm. In Spanish with some Hebrew. Title translates to English as, "Passover Guide." Contents Includes: Introduccion [Introduction] -- Fechas y Duracion de la Fiesta [Dates and Duration of the Festival] -- Nombres de la Fiesta [Numbers of the Fesitval] -- Simbolos de la Fiesta de Pejas [Symbols of the Festival of Passover] -- Bedikat James -- Alimentos y Vajillas Permitidos en Pesaj [Foods and Dishes Permitted on Passover] -- El Seder y Su Preparacion [The Seder and Its Preparation] -- Benedicion de las Velas de Pesaj y Benedicion a los Hijos [Blessing of the Passover Candles and the Childrens' Blessing] -- El Omer. OCLC lists one copy worldwide (University of California, Los Angeles). Nice, clean copy in very good condition. (HAG5-5) $40.00
58. Walkenfeld, Rabbi Cecil. Arrangement. THE TRADITIONAL CHILDRENS MODEL SEDER (AND WORKSHOP). Brooklyn, New York, I. Flohr. 1955. Original Paper Wrappers. 8vo. 31 pages. ilus. 22 cm. In English and Hebrew. Preface: "This Model Seder is not designed to take the place of the regular Haggadah. Its purpose is to give the children of Hebrew Schools a knowledge of the meaning and procedure of the Seder." OCLC lists no copies. Light staining to margin of wrapper, but still nice. Very good condition. (HAG5-9) $30.00
59. Kogman-Appel, Katrin. ZWEITE NÜRNBERGER UND DIE JEHUDA HAGGADA: JÜDISCHE ILLUSTRATOREN ZWISCHEN TRADITION UND FORTSCHRITT. Frankfurt am Main and New York, P. Lang. 1999. Original Softcover. 8vo. 495 pages. illus. 21 cm. In German. Series: Judentum und Umwelt. Bd. 69. SUBJECT(S): Haggadot -- Illustrations. Jewish illumination of books and manuscripts -- Germany. Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval -- Germany. Passover in art. Illustration. Named Corp: Muzeʼon Yiśraʼel (Jerusalem). Sifriyah ʻa. sh. Zalman Shoḳen. Muzeon Yisrael. Manuscript. 24087 Manuscript. 24087. Sifriyyat Schocken. Manuscript. 180/50 Manuscript. 180/50. Jerusalem - Israel-Museum. Title Subject: Second Nuremberg Haggadah -- Illustrations. Yahuda Haggadah -- Illustrations. Zweite Nürnberger Haggada. Includes bibliographical references (pages 303-313) and indexes. Underlining and margin notes on several pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (HAG5-13) $100.00
60. (Zion National Kosher Sausage Factory) Russotto, Henry. Arrangement. סדר הגדה לליל שמורים. SERVICE FOR THE FIRST TWO NIGHTS OF PASSOVER. New York, Hebrew Publishing Company. 1912. Original Publisher's Cloth. 12mo. 62,  pages. "New Edition, Thoroughly revised." In English and Hebrew. Added title page at front: "Compliments of Zion National Kosher Sausage Factory, Inc. 478-480 Austin Place, Bronx, NY." OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. Light wear and staining to boards. Pages 34-39 detached but present. Internal pages darkened and fragile, but all text is clear. Good condition. (HAG5-14) $50.00
61. Mandel, Nathan. Editor. סדר הגדה של פסח : מיט אן איבערזעצונג אין אידיש און ענגלי. THE PASSOVER HAGGADAH : WITH A NEW TRANSLATION, SELECTED COMMENTARY, EXPLANATION OF THE SEDER LAWS & CUSTOMS, AND A REVIEW OF THE EXODUS STORY. Brooklyn, NY, Balshon. Original Publisher's Cloth. 8vo. 32, 128 pages. illlus. 24 cm. In Hebrew, Yiddish and English. CONTENTS: 1) a zamlung fun oysderveylte perushim oyf der Hagode -- "Yalkut Natan" ; 2) Te`amim far di dinim un mihagim beym Seder (in Idish un English) ; 3) historisher iberblik fun golus un geulas Mitsrayim (in English)."-- Yiddish addition "Lekah Tov", the explanatory notes on Haggadah follows the text (pages 109-128). English section contains a set of 26 questions and answers and a "Glance at Jewish History." SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Haggadot -- Texts. Haggadah -- Commentaries. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Jacket shows some stains and tearing at edges, but still solid. Internal pages are bright and clean. Very good condition. (HAG5-15) $30.00
62. Luzzati, Emanuele; Fernando Belgrade. הגדה של פסח . HAGGADÀH DI PESACH: RITO SEFARDITA = HAGADAH SHEL PESAH. Florence, La Giuntina. 1984. Paper Wraps. 4to. 155 pages. color ill. 27 cm. In Hebrew and Italian. Third Edition. Illustrated Passover Haggadah with full parallel Italian translation and notes. Emanuele Luzzati is an Italian-born artist who fled Italy's racial laws in 1938. SUBJECT(S): Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Judaism -- Sephardic rite -- Liturgy -- Texts. Illustrations by Emanuele Luzzati; Italian translation and notes by Rabbino Fernando D. Belgrado; preface by Rabbino Elio Toaff. OCLC lists 13 copies worldwide. Light wear to edges of cover, but still nice. Internal pages are nice and clean. Illustrations are vibrant. Catalog card from publisher laid in as well. Very good condition. (HAG5-22). $65.00
63. Zeitlin, Solomon. THE TIME OF THE PASSOVER MEAL. Philadelphia, The Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning. 1951. Original Paper Wrappers. 45-50 pages. 24 cm. Cover subtitle: "Reprinted from the Jewish Quarterly Review, New Series, Volume XLII, Number 1." Zeitlin examines Talmudic and historical information pertaining to the time at which the Seder takes place in an attempt to reconcile certain contradictions surrounding the Last Supper. Some bumping to edges. Very good condition. (HAG5-16) $30.00
64. Levitt, Henry. הגדה של פסח. A TIMELY HAGGADAH FOR A THIRD SEDER. [S.l.: s.n.]. 1964. Original Paper Wrappers. 8vo.  pages. 21 cm. In Yiddish with some Hebrew. OCLC lists one copy worldwide (Gratz College Library). Nice, clean copy in very good condition. (HAG5-17) $65.00
65. Zuckoff, Aviva Cantor and Itzhak Epstein and Jerry Kirschen. JEWISH LIBERATION HAGADA. New York, Jewish Liberation Project. 1971. Original Staplebound Papers. 4to. ii, 94 pages. 28 cm. Second Edition. In English with some Hebrew. "What we tried to do… was this: to strip the Hagada down to its essence and retain all the traditional texts and ceremonies that were meaningful to us, and then build from there, adding material that is relevant to our liberation struggle in the eighth decade of the 20th century." Art by Jerry Kirschen. OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide. Cover lightly worn, but still nice. Previous owner's name on inside cover. Otherwise a nice, clean copy in very good condition. (HAG5-21) $65.00
66. Kohen, Gerschom. DIE PESSACH-HAGGADAH [HAGGADA SHEL PESAH] DES GERSCHOM KOHEN PRAG 5287/1527; [AUSG. FUR D. MITGLIEDER D. SONCINO-GESELLSCHAFT... NEBEN D. ALLGEMEINEN AUSG... IM VERL. JOSEF ALTMANN, BERLIN... AUF VAN GELDERN-HOLLAND-BUTTEN]. Berlin, Soncino-Gesellschaft. 1926. Original Publisher's Cloth. folio, 14, 75 pages, illustrated. In Hebrew with introduction booklet in German. Edition: Faks. -Dr. Der zu Prag 5287 (1527) gedr. Haggadah. Series: Sonderpublikation der Soncino-Gesellschaft der Freunde des Judischen Buches e. V. Berlin, 2. Monumenta Hebraica et Iudaica; 1; Monumenta Hebraica et Judaica; 1. SUBJECT(S): Buch. Soncino-Gesellschaft der Freunde des Judischen Buches. Hebraisch. Hagadah shel Pesah. Other Titles: Haggada. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide. Our understanding is that only 300 copies of this edition were published. Includes booklet. Wear to backstrip. Lacks blank dustjacket. Otherwise in very good condition. (Hag5-20) $200.00
67. Roth, Cecil. Editor. Szyk, Arthur. Illustrator. הגדה של פסח. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH. Jerusalem, Massadah and Alumoth. 1967. Original Publisher's Cloth. 4to. , pages (on double leaves). Color illus. 31 cm. Parallel text in Hebrew and English with added English title page and introduction. Blue velvet with gilt lettering and design on spine and cover over boards. Issued in quarter-leather slipcase SUBJECT(S): Haggadot -- Texts. Seder -- Liturgy -- Texts. Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Clean, bright copy. Fine condition in very good slipcase. (HAG5-18) $65.00