47 Dartmouth St. Springfield, MA 01109
ph: 413.846.6357 e-fax: 208.567.8926
We Find Good Homes for Nice Jewish Books
HOLOCAUST -ART, -EARLY PHOTOGRAPHY, & -RARITIES
Dear Friends & Colleagues,
We are pleased to offer this short list of Holocaust Art, Early Photography, and Rare titles for your perusal.
In particular, these early published collections of photos are important as representative of the very first images of the Holocaust offered to the world at large; They are THE original images, in the original contexts, that shaped the world's understanding of the Shoah, for Jews and non-Jews alike
Likewise, we are offering the very first printing of the very first published edition of Anne Frank's diary--a work probably more important than any other in personally connecting people around the world to the Holocaust.
Please click on any image to view it in more
As always, all items listed are 100% returnable for any reason. Domestic postage is usually $4.00-$5.00 for the first volume and $1.00 for each thereafter. International shipping is usually $9.00 for the first volume and $5.00 for each thereafter, depending on size. All items are offered subject to prior sale, first come, first served.
We prefer pre-payment by credit card or www.westernunion.com, but we will gladly take your money in any form. We can also invoice your institution. If you are ordering via fax, please confirm with a call or e-mail.
These items have not yet been listed on our online inventory, though you can also use our on-line search engine to browse the more than 2500 other titles we have listed on line at www.DanWymanBooks.com, where you will also find other lists of unusual Judaica titles.
PLEASE ALSO LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE OUR MONTHLY LISTS OF OUT OF PRINT JUDAICA TITLES by emailing us at [email protected].
And feel free to forward this list to other colleagues who may be interested.
WE URGENTLY NEED YOUR QUALITY JUDAICA DUPLICATES FOR CASH OR TRADE. We make housecalls in the Northeast, and we pay for all shipping when we can't come to you.
We appreciate your continued business and look forward to your next order.
1. • Brunea-Fox, F. ORASUL MACELULUI: JURNALUL REBELIUNEI SI CRIMELOR LEGIONARE: FAPTE, MARTURII, DOCUMENTE FOTOGRAFICE. No Place (Romania?), No Publisher (The Author?) No Date (1944). Cloth, Small 8vo, 199 pages. 22 cm. Published literally months after the
Fascists were driven from power in Romania, this extremely early photo-documentary of the Iron Guard Antisemitic riots in Romania in 1941includes 22 pages of photos, none of which I have ever seen before in the standard Holocaust texts. Most photos show bodies or destroyed synagogues, stores or other Jewish property; 3 are portraits. Text in Romanian. OCLC lists only 1 copy worldwide (USHMM). SUBJECT(S): Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Romania. Named Corp: Garda de Fier. Named Corp: Miscarea Legionara. Geographic: Romania -- Politics and government -- 1914-1944. Romania -- History -- Uprising, 1941 -- Personal narratives, Jewish. Rebound in period cloth by a Romanian survivor from whose son we acquired the book. Binding shows extensive wear but remains solid. Paper is browning but solid as well, with one closed tear extending through a photo. $550.00
2. • Buchenwald) Julsgaard-Larsen, S. BUCHENWALDSANGEN: DANMARKS POLITI'S SLAGSANG I TEKST OG TEGNINGER. København?, Samlerens Forlag, 1945. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, 4to; "Buchenwald songs: Battle Song of Denmark Police in Text and Pictures" (When the Nazis took over Denmark, virtually the entire Danish police forece was arrested and sent to concentration camps) Bright full-color watercolors of life in Buchenwald on every page and on the front cover. Some wear to covers, good condition (ID #6535) $175.00
3. • Duncan, Ronald Frederick Henry; Topolski, Feliks, artist. AUSCHWITZ. Bideford [Eng.]: Rebel Press, 1978. Cloth, Large 8vo,  pages; 26 cm. 1 of only 100 copies printed, this being Number 5, signed by the poet and the artist. Text is a poem, accompanied by line drawings by Topolski (one is on the jacket). "Of this edition of 100 copies signed by the author and illustrator this copy is number 5…..The poem first appeared in parts 4 and 5 of Man as canto 54….The drawings were done in Belsen camp by Feliks Topolski on 28 April 1945." ISBN: 0900615184 SUBJECT(S): World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German -- Poetry. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Poetry. Named Corp: Auschwitz (Concentration camp) -- Poetry. Identifier: Poetry in English, 1945- - Texts. OCLC lists 11 copies worldwide. Very Good Condition in Very Good Jacket. $400.00
4. • Frank, Anne. HET ACHTERHUIS: DAGBOEKBRIEVEN 12 JUNI 1942-1 AUGUSTUS 1944 [The Diary of a Young Girl]. Amsterdam, Uitgeverij Contact, 1947. First edition. First Printing. Cloth, 12mo, ix, 222 pages. Includes 2 leaves of plates. 19 cm. Text in Dutch. The true first edition of The Diary of a Young Girl, a book which continues to hold its place at the top of many literary lists: the most famous diary of modern times, the most famous work by a teenager, most famous work on the Holocaust, most famous 20th Century work by a Jew, etc….and, let us not forget, a moving testament to the endurance of the human spirit. Adapted to the screen several times, first and most notably in 1959 by George Stevens, with a script by Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett, based on their Pulitzer Prize-winning play. A rare and desirable book. Lacks the exceedingly rare dustjacket (even the copy at the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam has only the 2nd printing dustjacket). Binding split through at the front hinge of the fragile papercovered boards, extending about half-way down the spine, previously repaired with tape at the title page/frontis portrait, which has left a stain. Otherwise a nice copy, without the usual foxing and browning often seen in this poorly manufactured volume. $3000.00
5. • Friedman, Philip, Preface. Introduction by G. Taffet. ZAGLADA ZYDOSTWA POLSKIEGO: ALBUM ZDJEC. EXTERMINATION OF POLISH JEWS: ALBUM OF PICTURES. Lodz, Centraln Zydowska Komisja..., 1945. 1st Edition. Cloth, Oblong 4to, 18+104+15 pages. Robinson & Friedman #3574. Probably the single most important documentary photo book on the Holocaust ever published. Expertly rebound in attractive black cloth with title pages present in facsimile (all photo & other text pages are original). Bit of edgewear to margins of a few pages. Facsimile of cover mounted on front. A damaged copy recently sold at auction for over $975.00. Title pages present in facsimile only, but all photo pages present and in good condition. Very Good Condition thus. (ID #12701) $650.00
6. • (Grini) Bratlie, Gunnar. Foreword by Francis Bull. SKISSER I SMUG. GLIMT FRA LIVET PÅ GRINI.. Stavanger, Norway, Gyldendal Norsk Forlag, 1945. 1st Edition (?). Cloth, Oblong 4to; 60 pages; Unpaginated & undated. Magnificent illustrated documentaryon life in Grini Concentration Camp in Norway. The book actually has very little text apart from Bull's foreword; It is essentially a book of sketches with short blurbs about each detailed illustration--not only of prisoners working, and being abused, but also of them painting, making music, celebrating holidays, etc. Bound in mock-marbled boards with illustrated endpapers. A wonderful book. Boards bowed as usually found. Paper & internal binding Very Good. Lacks Jacket. (ID #6467) $200.00
7. • (Grini) Grogaard, Joachim. TRE AR UNDER KUNZE--GRINI KONSENTRASJONSLEIR. Oslo, Florlagt Av H. Aschehoug, 1945. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo; 306 pages; In Norwegian. Grogaard's drawings--camp scenes, cartoons, portraits of his imprisoned comrades--are wonderful--some are caricatures, others are beautiful busts which show off his skill as a trained artist. With a drawing on nearly every page of this large book, there probably does not exist a better illustrated work on on the Nazi concentration camp at Grini. Very Good Condition. Lacks Jacket (ID #6444) $300.00
8. • (Grini) Jorgensen, Ragnvald. MED BLYANT PA GRINI DE SISTE 8 MANEDER. Bergen, J. W. Eides Forlag, 1946. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo; 127 pages; In Norwegian. Grini survivor's memoir. In beautiful decorated boards illustrated with a prisoner-in-barbed-wire-field design. Very Good Condition Lacks Jacket. (ID #5520) $100.00
9. • Groth, John. THE CAMP OF DISAPPEARING MEN: A STORY OF THE OSWIECIM CONCENTRATION CAMP, BASED ON REPORTS FROM THE POLISH UNDERGROUND LABOR MOVEMENT. New York, Polish Labor Group, 1944. Paper Wrappers, Oblong 8vo, 42 pages. 21 x 26 cm. Published before the end of the war, this booklet includes 14 haunting watercolors, here in 2-color, by John Groth, accompanied by text "Based on a pamphlet issued by the Polish underground labor movement, translated and published by the Polish Labor Group under the title, 'Oswiecim--camp of death'.” Wolff # 1633. SUBJECT(S): World War, 1939-1945 -- Atrocities. World War, 1939-1945 -- Poland. Named Corp: Auschwitz (Concentration camp). Scarce, especially in this condition. Very Good Condition. $300.00
10. • Horski, Stefan. NO. 28932 MÓWI--: ORANIENBURG. W Poznaniu: Rotograwiura Drukarni sw. Wojciecha pod Zarzadem Panstwowym, 1947. Portfolio, Folio-size,  p., xvi leaves of plates, all illustrations. 32 cm. Text in Polish . 16 duotone watercolors of camp life, each accompanied by a textual description of a paragraph or two in the introduction. SUBJECT(S): Geographic: Oranienburg (Concentration camp) -- Pictorial works. Sachsenhausen (Brandenburg, Germany: Concentration camp) -- Pictorial works. OCLC lists only 1 set worldwide (Yale). Extremely scarce. Plates and introduction in Very Good Condition, in portfolio with margin repair & which is split at seams (but with cover illustration very much in tact). $1500.00
11. • Lammel, Inge. Mit Einem Geleitwort Von Wolfgang Langhoff. KOPF HOCH, KAMERAD! KUNSTLERISCHE DOKUMENTE AUS FASCHISTISCHEN KONZENTRATIO NSLAGERN. Berlin, Henschelverlag, 1965. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo; 115 pages; 25 cm. A handsomely produced and bound collection of graphic art produced by concentration camp prisioners. Many are watercolors here produced in full color. Summary and list of illustrations in English, French, Polish, Russian, and Czech. Veroffentlichung der Deutschen Akademie der Kunste zu Berlin. Zusammenstellung und nachwort von Inge Lammel. Facsimilies included. Very Good Condition in Very Good Jacket. (ID #5639) $125.00
12. • Lerner, A. R. (Adolf R.), THE MARCH OF EVIL: A HISTORY OF THE RISE AND FALL OF THE FASCIST EVIL. New York: .F.F. Publishers, 1945. Paper Wrappers, 8vo, 79 pages, chiefly illustrations. 31 cm. “Photo-record of Axis crime” Very Early (1945) publication of photos of the Holocaust and abuse of civilians—Concentration camps, destroyed villages, public executions, death, destruction, and mayhem. Particularly interesting because of its target population: the lay-out mimics a supermarket tabloid, suggesting an attempt to reach a more unsophisticated audience in its documentation of Nazi & Japanese Terror. Forewards by Prof. James Sheldon and former Ambassador to Germany James W. Gerard. SUBJECT(S): World War, 1939-1945 -- Atrocities -- Pictorial works. World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. OCLC lists 12 copies worldwide. Light wear, Very Good Condition. $250.00
13. • Mifleget po`ale Erets-Yisra'el. MAR'OT HA-HURBAN: MASEKHET HA-SHEMAD SHEL YAHADUT EROPAH. Tel Aviv: Mifleget Po`ale Erets-Yisra'el, 1946. Cloth Large 8vo, 121 pages, mostly of photos. Important collection of photographic images of Holocaust, published the year after the war’s end in Palestine, not yet Israel. Text in Hebrew. OCLC lists 5 copies worldwide (Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, Toronto, USHMM). SUBJECT(S): World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Europe. Little bit of foxing to edges & last page, no photos effected, Very Good Condition in Very Good Jacket. Exceedingly scarce in this condition. $750.00
14. • Mocsanyi, Paul. ART IN A CONCENTRATION CAMP: DRAWINGS FROM TEREZIN. New York: No Publisher (New School), 1968. Paper Wrappers, Oblong 8vo, 42 pages; 20 x 24 cm. Catalogue of an exhibition held at the New School Art Center, New York City, Feb. 13-Mar. 16, 1967. Reproduces 23 drawings & paintings from the exhibition, 13 by children (5 are in color) and 10 by adults. Foreword dated February 1968. SUBJECT(S): Theresienstadt (Concentration camp) -- Pictorial works. Catalogue of an exhibition held at the New School Art Center, New York City, Feb. 13-Mar. 16, 1967./ Foreword dated February 1968. Very Good Condition. $75.00
15. • Poll Willem van de. NAZI HEL. Amsterdam, Van Holkema & Warendorf, Spiralbound, Oblong 8vo, 32 pages. Dutch Photo-documentary with 28 Powerful Photos showing gruesome scenes from the Camps and also of the showing bodies to German citizens, etc. Most photos are from Belsen and Buchenwald, others from Schwabmuenchen, Dachau, Mauthausen, Langenstein, & POW camps. Part of the immediate post-war education & concensus building about German War Crimes. Light wear to covers, about Very Good Condition. (ID #2898) $80.00
16. • (Terezin) Massachusetts College Of Art. SEEING THROUGH "PARADISE": ARTISTS AND THE TEREZÍN CONCENTRATION CAMP. MASSACHUSETTS COLLEGE OF ART, BOSTON.. 1991. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Oblong 8vo; ISBN: 0962890502 Boston, Mass.: The College, 88 pages. 22 x 28 cm. Published in conjunction with an exhibition at the Massachusetts College of Art, March 6-May 4, 1991, and at other locations. Some contributions translated from Czech. Includes bibliographical references. Reproduces 30 black & white and 12 color works of art, many in full-page size. Very Good Condition. (ID #8679) $60.00
17. • Tolkaczew, Zinovij. KWIATY OSWIECIMIA. [THE FLOWERS OF OSWIECIM]. No Place (cracow?), No Publisher (The Author?) , 1946. Hardcover.; 4to; 6, 32 pages; 27 cm. "The Flowers of Auschwitz. " Drawings of children in Auschwitz. 33 plates of drawings & 6 pages of text. Wiener Library # I: 1671. Text in Polish, English, & French. Captions are in Polish, English, French, Russian and German. Cover title is "Kwiaty Oswiecimia The Flowers of Auschwitz Les Fleurs d Oswiecim. " A smaller edition, with fewer plates, was published the year before by Wydawn. Lwowskiego Antykwariatu Naukowego "Mol Ksiazkowy" in Cracow. Expertly rebound in cloth, Very Good Condition. (ID #8091) $140.00
18. • WILFRID ISRAEL JULY 11TH, 1899 - JUNE1ST, 1943. London, Marsland Publications LTD, 1944. 1st edition. Cloth, 12mo, 50 pages. Memorial book for Israel, an extraordinary hero of the Holocaust, issued the year after his death. In 1984, Naomi Shepherd's excellent "A Refuge from Darkness: Wilfred Israel and the Rescue of the Jews" told the story of the Businessman Israel, who, using his British passport and high social connections to elude the Gestapo, traveled through Europe and England desperately seeking concern and refuge for the Jews, suspecting from the earliest moments the implications of the deportation patterns. He literally faced down storm troopers as he arranged ransom or rescue for thousands, until the last moments before war broke out. He helped save 10,000 children and wrote one of the first accounts of the death camps. Albert Einstein called him "one of the most noble individuals I have personally known." This important little tribute book includes original eulogies by a virtual who's who of period Jewish leaders & their supporters, including Martin Buber, the Bishop of Chichester, Norman Bentwich, Dr. Chiam Weitzmann, George Landauer, Siegfired Lehmann, Albert Einstein, Elkan N. Adler, & Max Warburg. Including 4 plates and a tipped in portrait of Israel, this book is extremely scarce, especially given the importance of its contributors. OCLC lists only 2 copies (Penn & Cambridge). Light wear to top of spine & rear inside pastedown, overall a very good and very attractive copy. (#10851) $200.00
19. • Yavnozon, Jacobo, editor. NUESTRA AYUDA. VOL I, NR. 1 APRIL 1945. (complete, only issue published?). México: Sociedad Mexicana OSE, 1945. Paper Wrappers, 4to, 92 pages. Originally intended as a bilingiaul (Spanish-Yiddish) annual with a first issue in Spanish, this periodical appears to not have survived past this maiden, Spanish-language issue. With a goal of building support for aid to the child victims of the Holocaust, Nuestra Ayuda clearly also saw itself as a journal of Jewish culture, including fiction, artwork, essays, history lessons, lists of contributors, reports of activites, and photos, photos, photos. Also includes a letter of support to the journal from Albert Einstein "Revista anual bilingue ... Editada a primeros de año en castellano; en Septiembre en ’yidisch’." Subject: Jews -- Health and hygiene -- Mexico -- Periodicals. Jews -- Mexico -- Periodicals. Jewish children -- Mexico -- Periodicals. No copies listed on OCLC, nor of a (would be) periodical called Unzer Hilf. Published at this time in Mexico. Harvard lists only this issue in its holdings, with no further issues—in Spanish or Yiddish—indicated. Wear to wrappers, internal paper & binding remain quite nice. Good Condition thus. $200.00