Dan Wyman Books, LLC
|Specialists in Out-of-Print Jewish, Holocaust, & Radical Imprints in All Languages|
|We find Good Homes for Nice Jewish Books|
|Home||Catalogs||Search||Sell Your Books||About Us||Contact||Links|
40. • (Marx, Alexander) CONSERVATIVE JUDAISM VOL. IV NO. 2 FEBRUARY 1948: PROFESSOR ALEXANDER MARX.
66. • Hoffmann, Nehemyah Dov Ben Zeev. ספר אוצר נחמד: קבוצת מאמרים וענינים שונים אשר אדניהם על ידיעות העולם והטבע. SEFER OTSAR NEHMAD:
KEVUTSAT MAAMARIM VE-INYANIM SHONIM ASHER ADNEHEM AL YEDIOT HA-OLAM VEHA-TEVA. Vilna, 1876.
150. • OP DE RAND VAN DE AFGROND. `AL TEHOMOT: CATALOGUS VAN HEBRAICA EN JUDAICA ONDER
DUITSE BEZETTING IN NEDERLAND VERSCHENEN. Amsterdam, 1980.
Welcome to our latest catalog, Over 200 Titles in Jewish Bibliography and Related Subjects
Please also search our online inventory of over 6000 titles in Jewish Studies we have listed on line at www.DanWymanBooks.com. You'll also find interesting and unusual titles in related and overlapping fields in our recent catalogs, all online at www.DanWymanBooks.com
As always, every item is offered subject
to prior sale and is 100% returnable for any reason. Domestic shipping is
generally $5.00 for the first item and $1.00 for each additional item.
International shipments are at cost, generally $12.00 for smaller-size items and
$25.00 for larger size items.
All prices are in US Dollars. We prefer payment by credit card, but also accept checks in US funds or www.paypal.com. We will also gladly invoice your institution. Please do not order via fax at this time.
To order, please email us with your
requests to [email protected].
PLEASE ALSO LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE OUR LISTS OF OUT OF PRINT JUDAICA TITLES by emailing us at [email protected]
And feel free to forward this list to other colleagues who may be interested.
Many thanks to Anna Chapman and Avichayil Arfe for their work on this catalog.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Sections in Order:
Institutional And Private Collections
Museum & Exhibition Catalogs
Bookseller & Auction Catalogs
Rabbinics, Medieval, And Related
Soncino Gesellschaft Imprints
Other Bibliography By Subject
A FEW HIGHLIGHTS...
1. • Broches, S. B. DI GESHIKHTE FUN DER YIDISHER PRESE IN MASATSHUZETS. New York, 1939. Softcover, 31 pages, illustrations, (facsims.), 8vo, 23 cm. In Yiddish. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- Periodicals -- History. Printing -- Massachusetts -- History. At head of title: Z. Brokhes. "Federaler shrayber-proyekt in Masatshuzets, aroysgegebn fun Yidishn Kultur Klub in Boston. " "Seperat-opdruk fun 'Yorbukh' fun Yivo-amopteyl, II. " Added title page: The history of the Jewish press of Massachusetts, by Samuel Broches. "Kveln" on page 30. Other Titles: History of the Jewish press of Massachusetts. OCLC lists 6 copies worldwide. Ex-library. Missing back cover. Wear to edges of pages and corners. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-15-2) (ID #24272) $75.00.
2. • Taylor, John, 1694-1761. Buxtorf, Johann, 1599-1664. THE HEBREW CONCORDANCE, ADAPTED TO THE ENGLISH BIBLE; DISPOSED AFTER THE MANNER OF BUXTORF. IN TWO VOLUMES. London, Printed By J. Waugh And W. Fenner, 1754-1757, 3/4 leather with marble paper covered boards, large folio, 16 inches. 2595 pages. Title pages printed in red and black. In English and Hebrew. Second volume includes index and an "easy guide for reading Hebrew". SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. -- Concordances, Hebrew. Johannes Buxtorf II, (1599-1664), was a "Hebraist, the son of Johannes Buxtorf I, succeeded his father in the chair of Bible and Hebrew studies at the University of Basle and edited some of his unpublished works. In common with his father, he held the view that the Masoretic Text is the genuine version of the Bible (De Literarum Hebraicarum Genuina antiquitate, 1643) and that the Hebrew square script preceded the Samaritan. The vocalization of Hebrew, he maintained, originated at least as early as the time of Ezra. These issues were the subject of his fierce controversies with another Hebraist, Ludovicus Capelus, with each defending his viewpoint in a series of scholarly studies. Buxtorf 's view was formally adopted by the Swiss Church in 1675. Buxtorf translated Maimonides ' Guide of the Perplexed (1629), Judah Halevi 's Kuzari (1666), and part of Isaac Abrabanel 's commentaries to the Bible into Latin. The numerous Jewish scholars in many lands with whom he was in contact included Manasseh Ben Israel. His collection of letters is preserved at the university libraries of Basle and Zurich. " (Chaim Rabin, EJ, 2007) Includes an 1876 letter of a previous owner, found in one of the volumes, which reads: "Dear Dr. Wainwright, I am very sorry that I find at the last moment it will not be possible for me to have the pleasure of presiding at your lecture tonight. I am called away to fill a very important duty at the other end of London. I am sure neither you or any of the audience will attribute my absence to any lack of interest in the Protestant cause. There never was a moment when I was more opposed to Rome and its shabby imitation ritualism. Yours very faithfully, Henry L. Borguer. " Slight wear to leather on spine, very good condition. (BIB-17-11) (ID #24344) $750.00.
3. • Tcherikover, Victor, D. 1958, Ed. Fuks, Alexander, 1917-. WITH STRENGTH AND COURAGE 1913 - 1963: 50 YEARS CORPUS PAPYRORUM JUDAICARUM. COMPLETE IN 3 VOLUMES. Cambridge, Magnes Press, Hebrew University / Harvard University Press, 1957-1964. Cloth, 4to, 294 + 283 + 209 pages. 3 volumes. In English. Transcriptions of documents relating to Jews and Judaism in Egypt, with English translations and commentaries. Includes bibliographical references SUBJECT(S) Jews -- Egypt -- History -- Sources. Juifs -- Égypte -- Histoire -- Sources. Joden. Vol. 2 edited by Victor A. Tcherikover and Alexander Fuks; v. 3 edited by Victor A. Tcherikover, Alexander Fuks, and Menahem Stern. Vol. 1 very good condition, dustjacket chipped, edgeworn. Vol. 2 very good condition in very good jacket, Vol. 3 Very good condition, small stain to jacket. Inscription in pen to former owner on flyleaf of each volume. (BIB-18-1) (ID #24345) $425.00.
INSTITUTIONAL AND PRIVATE COLLECTIONS
4. • Lee, John and G. C. Renouard. ORIENTAL MANUSCRIPTS PURCHASED IN TURKEY. London, 1831. Hardcover, 22 pages, large 8vo. By John Lee; described by G. C. Renouard. Includes: "A book on the history of the Prophets before Mohammed, including Noah, Abraham, and Nimrod", "An Historical and geographical account of Syria and Judaea", and "An Arabic translation of the psalms of David." OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Universiteit Leiden), None in the US. Water stain throughout book. Stained pages. Hinge repair. Tear through back cover page. Bottom right corner of cover page missing. Wear to edges and bumped corners. Otherwise, good condition. (BIB-13-3) (ID #24117) $150.00.
5. • Deinard, E(phraim). OR ME'IR: KOLEL RESHIMAT SIFRE YISRA'EL, KITVE YAD VE-NIDPASIM, HA-NIMTSA'IM BE-VET OTSAR HA-SEFARIM HA-GADOL SHEL HA-HAKKHAM VA-MEHALEL, HA-SHOFET, HA-R. ME'IR ZULTSBERGER BE-FILADELFYA. OR MAYER: CATALOGUE OF THE OLD HEBREW MANUSCRIPTS AND PRINTED. BOOKS OF THE LIBRARY OF HON. M. SULZBERGER OF PHILADELPHIA, PA, Nyuork?: E. Deinard, 1896.8vo, 100 pages. 23 cm. "With compliments of the author" printed. slip tipped in. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew imprints -- Catalogs. Manuscripts, Hebrew -- Catalogs. Named Person: Sulzberger, Mayer, 1843- -- Library -- Catalogs. Lacks boards, some faint margin stains. (heb-7-19) (we can have this bound for you) (ID #20100) $150.00.
7. • Ben-Menahem, Naftali. MI-GINZE YISRAEL BA-VATIKAN: TEUR SHEL SHELOSHIM VA-HAMISHAH KITVE-YAD. Jerusalem: Mosad Ha-Rav Kuk, 1954. Hardcover, 207 pages, 8vo, 22 cm. In Hebrew. Series: Sifriyat mekorot; 16. SUBJECT (S): Manuscripts, Hebrew -- Catalogs. Manuscripts -- Italy. Named Corp: Biblioteca apostolica vaticana. Ex-library. Few stained pages. Browning to edges of pages. Slight tear through text on page 207, but no text lost. Wear to cover binding and corners. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-7) (ID #24317) $125.00.
8. • Bloch, Joshua. OF MAKING MANY BOOKS: AN ANNOTATED LIST OF THE BOOKS ISSUED BY THE JEWISH PUBLICATION SOCIETY OF AMERICA, 1890-1952. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society Of America, 1953. Cloth, 8vo. Ix, 329 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jews – bibliography; Publishers and publishing – Pennsylvania – Philadelphia – bibliography; Jewish Publication Society of America – bibliography. Bloch (1890-1957) was an American “librarian, bibliographer, and reform rabbi. Born in Dorbian, Lithuania, Bloch went to the U. S. In 1907. He taught at New York University from 1919 to 1928; from 1922 until his death he served as chaplain in several hospitals of the New York State Department of Mental Hygiene. His main work, however, was as head of the Jewish Division of the New York Public Library, a post which he held from 1923 to 1956; under his direction the Library developed as one of the major collections of Judaica in the United States. Bloch arranged many major exhibitions of Judaica there. Many of his bibliographical researches into the history of Hebrew printing were published by the Library, such as Hebrew Printing in Riva di Trento, [and] Early Hebrew Printing in Spain and Portugal. He also founded the quarterly Journal of Jewish Bibliography in 1938 and was its editor until 1943. In 1940 he was appointed to the publication committee of the Jewish Publication Society and a year later to the editorial board of the Jewish Apocryphal Literature Series; as a result of these connections he wrote On the Apocalyptic in Judaism and Of Making Many Books (1953; an annotated list of the books issued by the Jewish Publication Society, 1890–1952). The following year he published The People and the Book, on 300 years of Jewish life in America. ” (EJ, 2007) Spine sunned, very good condition. (MX-23-10/bib-9-10) (ID #24064/23825) $30.00.
9. • Crown, Alan David. HEBREW MANUSCRIPTS AND RARE PRINTED BOOKS HELD IN THE FISHER LIBRARY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY. Sydney: Wentworth Press, 1973. Softcover, 24 leaves, 2 leaves of plates, illustrated, large 8vo, 26 cm. Series: Studies in Australian bibliography no. 20. SUBJECT (S): Manuscripts, Hebrew -- Australia -- Sydney (N. S. W.) -- Catalogs. Rare books -- Australia -- Sydney (N. S. W.) -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. Named Corp: Fisher Library -- Catalogs. Bible -- Manuscripts, Hebrew -- Catalogs. Other Titles: Hebrew manuscripts and rare printed books held in the Fisher Library. Very good condition. (BIB-9-31) (ID #23980) $30.00.
10. • Fishman, David Eliot, 1957- ; Nadler, Allan; Yivo Institute For Jewish Research. EMBERS PLUCKED FROM THE FIRE: THE RESCUE OF JEWISH CULTURAL TREASURES IN VILNA. New York: Yivo Institute For Jewish Research, 1996. Paper wrappers, 8vo, v, 20, 20, v pages,  pages of plates: illustrated. Complete text of essay in English and Yiddish. 4 pages of black and white photographs. SUBJECT (S): Yivo Archives. "This essay is adapted from an address delivered on January 31, 1996, at a celebration honoring the return of YIVO's archives from Vilna." Includes bibliographical references. Errata slip laid in. Very good condition. (BIB-17-1) (ID #24335) $30.00.
11. • Friedenwald, Harry (1864-1950). JEWISH LUMINARIES IN MEDICAL HISTORY. Baltimore, The Johns Hopkins Press, 1946. First edition. Hardcover, viii, 199 pages. 3 pl. Ill. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- history. Physicians -- history. History of Medicine -- Bibliography. Medicine -- Bibliography. Private libraries -- Catalogs. Jews -- Medicine -- Bibliography. Jewish physicians -- Bibliography. Jews -- Medicine -- History. Jewish physicians -- History. "Jewish luminaries in medical history, " an address delivered at the Johns Hopkins university, February 10, 1943. On Title page: "by Harry Friedenwald. And a Catalogue of works bearing on the subject of the Jews and medicine from the private library of Harry Friedenwald." Very good condition in good - jacket. Ex library with institutional stamp on flyleaves and call number on spine of jacket. Jacket chipped and worn at edges. (BIB-12-2) (ID #24254) $30.00.
12. • Gersh, Harry. THE UNLIKELY TREASURE HOUSE. Philadelphia: Dropsie University, 1999. Softcover, 12 pages, illustrated, facsim, 8vo, 26 cm. About the collections of rare printed and manuscript Judaica at Dropsie College. SUBJECT (S): Archives -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia. Manuscripts, Jewish. Named Corp: Dropsie University -- Archives. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide (NYPL, Hebrew Union, Balch Inst, Penn). Light wear. Bumped corners. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-13-12) (ID #24124) $35.00.
13. • Glatzer, Mordechai. edited by Charles Berlin and Rodney Gove Dennis. HEBREW MANUSCRIPTS IN THE HOUGHTON LIBRARY OF THE HARVARD COLLEGE LIBRARY: A CATALOGUE. Cambridge: Harvard University Library, 1975. Wrappers; 8vo. 68 pages, 23cm. Illustrated with facsimiles. Includes indexes. Manuscripts, Hebrew -- Massachusetts -- Cambridge -- Catalogs. Manuscripts, Hebrew -- Facsimiles. Includes indexes. Light wear to cover edges. Very good condition. (BIB-15-14) (ID #24252) $30.00.
14. • Golb, Norman. SPERTUS COLLEGE OF JUDAICA YEMENITE MANUSCRIPTS. Chicago: Spertus College of Judaica Press, 1972. Cloth, 4to. Xv, 116 pages. Illustrated. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Manuscripts, Hebrew – Illinois – Chicago – catalogs; Manuscripts, Hebrew – facsimiles; manuscripts, Judeo-Arabic – Illinois – Chicago – catalogs; manuscripts, Judeo-Arabic – facsimiles; Jews – Yemen (Republic) – intellectual life; Spertus College of Judaica – catalogs. Born in Chicago, Golb (b. 1928) is an historian and a paleographer; he earned his Ph. D. At Johns Hopkins in 1954. “His discoveries have included the identification of Obadiah the Proselyte as author of the oldest Hebrew musical manuscript, the recovery of a Genizah document describing a prominent European convert to Judaism at the beginning of the 11th century; the discovery and decipherment of the earliest extant legal record of the Jews of Sicily and of an original autograph manuscript of Khazarian Jews of Kiev; and the identification of a Hebrew document dealing with the First Crusade. His hypothesis of the existence of a center of Jewish culture in medieval Rouen and of an important yeshivah there has recently been supported by archeological discoveries in that city. In a recent study he has concluded that the Dead Sea Scrolls originated not with a sect at Qumran but in Jerusalem, being hidden away by the Jews at the time of the First Revolt against Rome. ” (EJ) Littauer Foundation sticker and blacked out owner's name on front endpapers, top corner bumped, otherwise very good condition. (BIB-4-19) (ID #19892) $30.00.
15. • Goldstein, Fanny; Boston Public Library. JUDAICA: A SELECTED READING LIST OF BOOKS IN THE PUBLIC LIBRARY OF THE CITY OF BOSTON. Boston: The Trustees, April 1934. 12mo. 141 pages. Second edition, enlarged. SUBJECT (S): Jews - bibliography; Jewish literature - bibliography; Jews - Massachusetts - Boston - books and reading; Judaism - bibliography; Boston Public Library - bibliography. OCLC lists 26 copies worldwide. SERIES: Brief reading list. No. 44. April, 1934. [2d ed, enl. ]. Born in Russia, Goldstein (1888-1961) started working as a librarian in the Boston Public Library system in 1913. From 1922 to 1957, she worked at the West End branch, and in 1954 became the first American woman appointed as a curator of Judaica. A life-long supporter of Jewish literature, in 1925 she introduced Jewish Book Week in Boston, becoming the event's first national committee chairperson in 1940. After her retirement, she presented her personal collection of Judaica to the Boston library, where it remains as the Fanny Goldstein Collection. (EJ, 2007) Covers missing, title page a little soiled, good condition. (SPEC-7-1) (ID #24229) $50.00.
16. • Heuberger, Rachel. BIBLIOTHEK DES JUDENTUMS: DIE HEBRAICA- UND JUDAICA-SAMMLUNG DER STADT- UND UNIVERSITATSBIBLIOTHEK FRANKFURT AM MAIN: ENTSTEHUNG, GESCHICHTE UND HEUTIGE AUFGABEN. Frankfurt Am Main: V. Klostermann, 1996. ISBN 9783465028635. Softcover, 230 pages, illustrated, 21 cm. In German. Series: Frankfurter Bibliotheksschriften; Bd. 4. SUBJECT (S): Jewish libraries -- Germany -- Frankfurt am Main -- History. Speciale collecties. Joodse boeken. Hebreeuwse boeken. Stadt- und Universitatsbibliothek Frankfurt. Libros hebreos -- Stadt- und Universitatsbibliothek Frankfurt am Main. Named Person: Freimann, A. (Aron), 1871-1948. Named Corp: Stadt- und Universitatsbibliothek Frankfurt am Main. Hebraica- und Judaica-Abteilung -- History. Includes bibliographical references (p. 219-229). Wear to corners. Very good condition. (BIB-9-9) (ID #23965) $30.00.
17. • Jewish Theological Seminary Of America. A REEL GUIDE TO THE LITURGY COLLECTION: REELS 1-67, FROM THE LIBRARY OF THE JEWISH THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY OF AMERICA. Ann Arbor, Michigan: University Microfilms, 1978. Wrappers; 8vo. 69 pages. With appendix. No copies listed on OCLC. Very good condition. (CT-5) (ID #24268) $30.00.
18. • Jewish Theological Seminary Of America. A REEL GUIDE TO THE STEINSCHNEIDER COLLECTION: REELS 1-20, FROM THE LIBRARY OF THE JEWISH THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY OF AMERICA. Ann Arbor, Michigan: University Microfilms, . Wrappers; 8vo. 15 pages. With appendix. No copies listed on OCLC. Very good condition. (CT-5) (ID #24269) $30.00.
19. • Jewish Theological Seminary Of America. Library. A REEL GUIDE TO HEBREW INCUNABULA: REELS 1-20, FROM THE LIBRARY OF THE JEWISH THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY OF AMERICA. 1978. Ann Arbor, Michigan: University Microfilms, 1978. Paper Wrappers; 8vo. 12 pages. With appendix. No copies listed on OCLC. Cover slightly sunned, with small mark/scratch. Good + condition. (CT-5) (ID #24270) $30.00.
20. • Katsh, Abraham I. THE ANTONIN GENIZAH IN THE SALTYKOV-SCHEDRIN PUBLIC LIBRARY IN LENINGRAD. New York: Institute of Hebrew Studies, New York University, 1963. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 17 pages. SUBJECT (S): Genizah; Manuscripts, Hebrew - catalogs. OCLC lists 25 copies worldwide. "Reprinted, with corrections, from the Leo Jung jubilee volume, 1962." Katsh (1908-1998) was born in Poland and emigrated to the U. S. In 1925. In 1933, he began teaching at New York University, and over the following three decades taught Hebrew education, culture, language and literature there. In 1957 He founded the National Association of Professors of Hebrew in American Universities, and was elected president of Dropsie College in 1967, where he served until 1976. His scholarship won him many awards and fellowships, including the Jewish Teachers Association of New York's Avodah Award, the Rabbi Kaniel Prize of the Municipality of Haifa, and the first Charles Kramer Research Fellow of the Institute for Jewish Policy Planning and Research of the Synagogue Council of America. Katsh is well known for his studies of Hebrew manuscripts and fragments from Russia and Eastern Europe, his translations, and his essays on Jewish studies in the United States. (EJ). Signed on front cover. Very good condition. (BIB-9-6) (ID #23823) $20.00.
21. • Luzzatto, Aldo and Luisa Mortara Ottolenghi. HEBRAICA AMBROSIANA. I: CATALOGUE OF UNDESCRIBED HEBREW MANUSCRIPTS IN THE AMBROSIANA LIBRARY. II. DESCRIPTION OF DECORATED AND ILLUMINATED HEBREW MANUSCRIPTS IN THE AMBROSIANA LIBRARY. Milano, Il Polifilo, Italy, 1972. Hardcover, 163 pages, illustrated, 11 plates, Folio, 32 cm. Series: Fontes Ambrosiani, 45; Variation: Fontes Ambrosiani; 45. SUBJECT (S): Manuscripts, Hebrew -- Italy -- Milan -- Catalogs. Jewish illumination of books and manuscripts -- Italy -- Milan -- Catalogs. Hebreeuwse handschriften. Geillustreerde handschriften. Named Corp: Biblioteca ambrosiana -- Catalogs. English or Hebrew. Includes bibliographical references. In jacket and box. Slight wear to cover jacket and edges. Wear to outer box. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-17) (ID #24327) $175.00.
22. • Parke-Bernet Galleries. THE CHARLES E. FEINBERG COLLECTION OF VALUABLE JUDAICA. New York, 1967. Softcover, x, 147 pages, illustrated, 8vo, 26 cm. SUBJECT (S): Jewish art and symbolism -- Catalogs. Named Person: Feinberg, Charles E. -- Art collections. Sale number 2627. Public auction, Wednesday, November 29 at 1: 45 p. M. Thursday, November 30 at 10: 30 a. M. And 1: 45 p. M. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide (Univ of Denver, Oakland, YU, Hebrew Union). Light wear. Minimal fold mark on cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-11) (ID #24321) $30.00.
23. • Simsar, Muhammed Ahmed. ORIENTAL MANUSCRIPTS OF THE JOHN FREDERICK LEWIS COLLECTION IN THE FREE LIBRARY OF PHILADELPHIA; A DESCRIPTIVE CATALOGUE WITH FORTY-EIGHT ILLUSTRATIONS. Philadelphia, 1937. Hardcover, xix, 248 pages, xlviii illustrations (includes facsims.). 8vo, 26 cm. Includes Hebrew manuscripts. SUBJECT(S): Manuscripts, Oriental -- Catalogs. Manuscrits orientaux -- Pennsylvanie -- Philadelphie -- Catalogues. Named Corp: Free Library of Philadelphia -- Catalogues. Bibliography on pages 221-224. Includes some Hebrew manuscripts. Water stain throughout book. Staining to inner and outer covers. Wear to cover binding. Otherwise, good condition. (BIB-15-1) (ID #24271) $30.00.
24. • Steinschneider, Moritz. CODICES HEBRAICOS COMPLECTENS. DIE HEBRAEISCHEN HANDSCHRIFTEN DER K. HOF- UND STAATSBIBLIOTHEK IN MUENCHEN. Muenchen: Palm’schen Hofbuchhandlung, . Hardcover, 8vo, 277 pages. In German. Reprint. (ca. 1970). Series: Catalogus Codicum manu scriptorum Bibliothecae Regiae Monacensis 8vo. Steinschneider, (1816-1907), “was the father of modern Jewish bibliography, among the founders of the "Science of Judaism" (Wissenschaft des Judentums). Born the son of the Talmud scholar Jacob Steinschneider (1781-1856) and Hani Zadek-Weizenkorn (1792-1859) in Prossnitz, Moravia, Steinschneider received his early education in his native town, where he was influenced by his uncle Gideon Brecher. He also attended a Christian school and studied music, an interest he maintained throughout his life. At age 13, he entered the yeshivah of R. Nehemiah Trebitsch and in 1833 he left for Prague to take up secular studies. By that time, Steinschneider had already acquired a thorough knowledge of French and Italian from private tutors. He became a tutor in these languages, and in 1836 received a teacher's diploma for Hebrew in the Hebraeische Lehranstalt in Prague. That same year he left for Vienna, where he began to study Semitic languages; there he made the acquaintance of Leopold Dukes, who aroused his interest in the study of medieval literature, Hebrew manuscripts, and Jewish bibliography. ” (EJ, Schmelzer, 2007) Very good + condition. (BIB-8-10) (ID #24079) $125.00.
25. • Sukenik, Eleazar Lipa, THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS OF THE HEBREW UNIVERSITY. Jerusalem, Magnes Press, Hebrew University, 1955. Hardcover, 44, 59 pages, illustrated, portraits, facsims, Folio, 22 cm. SUBJECT (S): Dead Sea scrolls. Illustrated descriptive text, including the transcriptions of the manuscripts, in portfolio with loose plates. "The Second scroll of Isaiah, The war of the Sons of light with the Sons of darkness, and the Thanksgiving scroll are [here] published in full. " Hinge repair. Fading and sunning to cover and book. Light staining outside back cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-9-30) (ID #23979) $70.00.
26. • Rosenberger, Ludwig. JUDAICA; A SHORT-TITLE CATALOGUE OF THE BOOKS, PAMPHLETS, AND MANUSCRIPTS RELATING TO THE POLITICAL, SOCIAL, AND CULTURAL HISTORY OF THE JEWS AND TO THE JEWISH QUESTION IN THE LIBRARY OF LUDWIG ROSENBERGER, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS. Cincinnati, Hebrew Union Press, 1971. Hardcover, 495 pages, illustrations, fascisms. With many plates. Shunami 5433.29 cm. Series: Bibliographica Judaica; 2. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. "This is an edition of 450 copies. " OCLC lists 25 copies worldwide. Wear to edges, corners of cover. Binding repair. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-9-2) (ID #23963) $200.00.
27. • Zafren, Herbert C, Ed. JUDAICA, A SHORT-TITLE CATALOGUE OF THE BOOKS, PAMPHLETS, AND MANUSCRIPTS RELATING TO THE POLITICAL, SOCIAL, AND CULTURAL HISTORY OF THE JEWS AND TO THE JEWISH QUESTION IN THE LIBRARY OF LUDWIG ROSENBERGER, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS: EXPANDED SUPPLEMENT [ONLY]. Cincinnati: Hebrew Union College, 1979. Wrappers; large 8vo. 66 pages. Beautifully printed book. This is the supplement to a limited-edition hardbound volume of 450 copies. The Rosenberger collection is particularly strong in the literature of the Jewish Marxists and socialists. Series: Bibliographica Judaica 4 (revised). SUBJECT(S): Jews -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. Private libraries -- Illinois -- Catalogs. Excellent condition. (CT-8) (ID #14923) $40.00.
28. • Kosover, Mordecai and Abraham G. Duker. מנחה ליצחק: למלאת עשרים וחמש שנה לכהונת ספרן בישראל: ביבליוגרפיה של כתבי יצחק ריבקינד MINHAH LE-YITSHAK: LI-MELOT ESRIM VE-HAMESH SHANAH LI-KHEHUNAT SAFRAN BE-YISRAEL: BIBLIYOGRAFYAH SHEL KITVE YITSHAK RIVKIND. New York:Igud Ha-Safranim Ha-Yehudim, 1949. Softcover, 81, xv pages, ports, 8vo, 26 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Rivkind, Isaac. Bibliography. Other Titles: Minha l'Yitshaq (An offering to Isaac): a bibliography of the writings of Isaac Rivkind; Offering to Isaac. Wear to edges of cover and cover binding. Chipped corners. Light wear. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-9-22) (ID #23974) $40.00.
29. • Margalioth, Mordechai. ENTSIKLOPEDYAH LE-TOLDOT GEDOLE YISRAEL (4 VOLUMES, COMPLETE). Joshua Chachik Publishing House, Tel Aviv, Israel, 2000. Hardcover, 4 volumes, 1376 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. In Hebrew. Contents: 1: Abbi Mari - Gershon b. Shlomo. -- 2: Bob Baer - Judah ha-Levi. -- 3: Judah Liwa - Levi b. Hayyim. -- 4: Meir Abulafia - Tanchum Jerushalmi. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Biography. Jewish scholars -- Biography. Title on added title page: Encyclopedia of great men in Israel. Includes index. Other Titles: Encyclopedia of great men in Israel. OCLC lists 9 copies worldwide. Note inscribed on front page. Few stained pages. Wear to cover binding. Box it comes in, stained and repaired. Otherwise, very good condition. (ID #24323) $30.00.
30. • Mirsky, Samuel Kalman. ISHIM U-DEMUYOT BE-HOKHMAT YISRAEL BE-EROPAH HA-MIZRAHIT LI-FENE SHEKIATAH. Ogen. New York, 1959. Hardcover, 437 pages, 8vo, 24 cm. In Hebrew. Series: Morashah; 5. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Europe, Eastern -- History. Jewish learning and scholarship. Judaism -- Study and teaching -- Bibliography. Includes bibliographical references. Added title page: Personalities and figures in Jewish studies, in Eastern Europe. Includes bibliographies. Other Titles: Personalities and figures in Jewish studies in Eastern Europe. In dust jacket. Slight chipping to edges of jacket corners. First and last page inside cover stained. Otherwise, very good condition in Very Good Jacket. (BIB-16-9) (ID #24319) $35.00.
31. • (Mohilewer, Samuel) Maimon, Judah Leib. ספר שמואל: זכרון להרב שמואל מוהליבר. SEFER-SHEMUEL: ZIKARON LEHA-RAV SHEMUEL MOHLIVER BI-MELOT `ESRIM VE-HAMESH SHANAH LI-FETIRATO. Jerusalem: Ha-Mizrahi, 1923. Cloth, 8vo. 189 pages. Illustrated. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Zionists - Soviet Union - biography; Rabbis - Soviet Union - biography; Mohilewer, Samuel, 1824-1898. CONTENTS: Li-tekufat ha-`esrim ve-hamesh, me-et Meir Berlin. --Toldot Rabi Shemuel, me-et Y. L. Ha-Kohen Fishman. --Igrot Tsiyon, me-et Yitshak Rivkand. --Gadol ve-gibor, me-et A. Y. Ha-Kohen Kuk. --Shalosh pegishot, me-et M. Usishkin. --Hirhurim le-yom ha-zikaron, me-et Hayyim Pik. --De`otav ve-hashkefotav shel Rabi Shemuel, me-et Yosef Mohiliver. --ha-Rav ha-askan (zikhronot) me-et Mordekhai ben Hilel ha-Kohen. --Rishon le-Tsiyon, me-et Sh. Tshernovits. --Zikhronot, me-et Y. L. Epil. --Reshimah bibliyografit, me-et Zafran (p. -184) --Kol kore me-et Merkaz ha-Mizrahi ha-`Olami. OCLC lists 19 copies worldwide. Maimon (1875-1962) was a leader of religious Zionism; after years of work in Eastern Europe, he settled in Israel in 1913. In Israel he helped found Mizrachi, the educational organization, and when he was expelled from Israel by the Turks during WWI, he continued to advance Mizrachi's interests in the United States. He was on the first ship - literally - back to Palestine after the war. After the State of Israel was established, Maimon briefly worked in the government; he was elected to the First Knesset. A "prolific" writer, after his retirement from government service, he devoted himself solely to literary pursuits. (Goldshlag, EJ) Hinges repaired, endpapers tanned and chipped, otherwise good+ condition. (RAB-19-4) (ID #21711) $50.00.
32. • Roth, Cecil. A LIFE OF MENASSEH BEN ISRAEL: RABBI, PRINTER, AND DIPLOMAT. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society of America, 1934. Cloth, 12mo. Xii, 373 pages. Illustrated. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jews – Netherlands – Amsterdam – biography; Jews – Great Britain – biography; Manasseh ben Israel, 1604-1657. Roth (1899-1970), editor in chief of the Encyclopaedia Judaica, was born in London and went to Merton College, Oxford, where he showed an interest in Jewish history and liturgy as early as his undergraduate years. He was a reader in Jewish studies at Oxford for two and a half decades, until 1964, when he moved to Jerusalem, as a visiting professor at Bar-Ilan University. After a heart attack and being falsely accused of unorthodoxy, he left Bar-Ilan, and spent the rest of his life editing the Encyclopaedia Judaica and teaching at Queens College and Stern College in New York. Roth wrote and published profusely, with O. K. Rabinowitz's 1966 bibliography listing 572 items, though the actual number is over 600, including translations and editing of Haggadot. (Lipman, EJ) Corners bumped, bookplate, good+ condition. (RAB-18-20) (ID #20575) $30.00.
33. • Another Copy. Ex library, ends of spine worn, otherwise very good condition. (SEF-10-26) (ID #20920) $30.00.
34. • Walden, Aaron Ben Isaiah Nathan. ספר שם הגדולים החדש בו נקבצו ובאו שמות גאוני וגדולי ישראל. אשר היו מזמן חיים יוסף דוד אזולאי בעל שם הגדולים הראשון SEFER SHEM HA-GEDOLIM HE-HADASH BO NIKBETSU U-VAU SHEMOT GEONE U-GEDOLE YISRAEL. ASHER HAYU MI-ZEMAN HAYIM YOSEF DAVID AZULAI, BA`AL SHEM HA-GEDOLIM HA-RISHON. New York: Y. Ts. Halevi, 1948. Cloth, 8vo. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Jews - bio-bibliography; Rabbis - bio-bibliography; Hebrew literature - bio-bibliography; Rabbinical literature - bio-bibliography; Rabbis - biography; Holocaust - rabbis. OCLC lists 8 copies worldwide. Bookplate, good condition. (RAB-21-14) (ID #21738) $50.00.
35. • Bet Ha-Sefarim Ha-Leumi Veha-Universitai Bi-Yerushalayim. TA`ARUKHAT YOSEF KLOZNER (634-719): KATALOG. OKTOBER- NOVEMBER 1966. JOSEPH KLAUSNER (1874-1958) EXHIBITION, CATALOGUE. Yerushalayim: Bet Ha-Sefarim Ha-Leumi Veha-Universitai, 1966. Softcover, 28 pages, facsims, 8vo, 25 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Klausner, Joseph, 1874-1958 -- Exhibitions. Klausner, Joseph, 1874-1958 -- Bibliography. Cover title: Joseph Klausner (1874-1958) exhibition, catalogue. Other Titles: Joseph Klausner (1874-1958) exhibition, catalogue. OCLC lists 21 copies worldwide. Ex-library. Wear to corners of cover. Hinge repair. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-13-8) (ID #24120) $50.00.
36. • Cordier, Henri, 1849-1925. BIBLIOGRAPHIE DES OEUVRES DE GASTON MASPERO. Paris, P. Geuthner, 1922. Paper wrappers, 8vo, xvii, 153 pages. In French. SUBJECT (S): Maspero, G. (Gaston), 1846-1916 -- Bibliography. Black and white photographic frontis piece portrait. Bibliography of works by Maspero, the French Egyptologist and developer of the Cairo Museum. References to Syria before the Invasion of the Hebrews, Judea, the Galilee, and the Mosaic of Palestine. (P.120 - 121). Slight wear to spine, pages slightly sunned. Pages uncut. Very good condition. (BIB-18-5) (ID #24353) $135.00.
37. • Felstiner, John. LOOKING FOR KAFKA. Stanford: Associates Of The Stanford University Libraries, 1990. Softcover, 15 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. SUBJECT (S): Book collecting. Named Person: Kafka, Franz, 1883-1924. "First presented as a talk to the Associates of the Stanford University Libraries. April 21, 1990"--Colophon. "In an edition of 700 copies"--Colophon. OCLC lists 6 copies worldwide. Light wear. Very good condition. (Holo2-22-2) (ID #23838) $30.00.
38. • Joseph Yerushalmi. A. B. YEHOSHUA: BIBLIOGRAPHY 1953 - 1979. [Tel-Aviv] Sifriat Poalim, 1980. Hardcover, 8vo, (38), 80 pages. In Hebrew and English. Bibliography of Abraham B. Yeshoshua (1936 -), the renowned Israeli author. Spine and cover slightly sunned. Very good condition. (BIB-7-29) (ID #23957) $40.00.
39. • Kabakoff, Jacob. HALUTSE HA-SIFRUT HA-`IVRIT BE-AMERIKAH: MEHKARIM U-TE`UDOT. Tel Aviv: Yavneh ; Klivland: Ha-Makhon Le-Limude Ha-Yahadut, 1966. Cloth, 8vo. 324 pages. In Hebrew. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Authors, Hebrew – United States; Sobel, Jacob Levi; Gersoni, Henry, 1844-1897; Schur, William, 1839-1910; Rosenzweig, Gershon, 1861-1914; Rabinowitz, Isaac, 1846-1900. Very good condition. (GER-17-3) (ID #20306) $30.00.
40. • (Marx, Alexander) Rabbinical Assembly Of America. [New York, Rabbinical Assembly, Etc. ]. CONSERVATIVE JUDAISM VOL. IV NO. 2 FEBRUARY 1948: PROFESSOR ALEXANDER MARX. 1948. Paper wrappers, periodical, 8vo, 26 pages. Conservative Movement publication, this issue devoted to Professor Alexander Marx (1878-1953), the famous historian, bibliographer, and librarian at the Jewish Theological Seminary. "His mastery of the materials of history and of languages became proverbial. He published articles in many languages and was at home in classical and Semitic languages. Marx contributed monographs and articles to journals on a wide variety of subjects, published two volumes of collected essays (Studies in Jewish History and Booklore (1944) ; Essays in Jewish Biography (1947)), and with Max L. Margolis wrote A History of the Jewish people (1927, 1962). This pioneering work, stressing economic and social life, organization and legal status, offers the general reader a soundly researched, authoritative, and objective Jewish history in one volume. Marx amassed a private collection of 10,000 books. The JTS library on his arrival in 1903 contained 5,000 volumes and 3 manuscripts. At his death it possessed 165,000 books and over 9,000 Hebrew, Samaritan, Aramaic, and Yiddish manuscripts, comprising the largest Judaica collection in the world. Marx's ability to determine a manuscript's age merely by looking at it was legendary. His annual reports of the library's growth, containing a detailed description of materials acquired, were eagerly awaited by bookmen and scholars. " (Epstein and Chyet, EJ, 2007) Includes essays by Simon Greenberg, Jacob Agus, and Herbert Parzen. SUBJECT(S): Conservative Judaism -- Periodicals. Jodendom. Small tears and chips to cover, spine repaired with non-archival tape. Vertical crease down center of pages. Good - condition. (BIB-12-5) (ID #24257) $30.00.
41. • (Rashi) Rivkind, Isaac. TA'ARUKHAT RASHI BESIFRIYAT BEYT-MIDRASH LERABANIM BE'AMERIKA/ RASHI EXHIBITION: LIBRARY JEWISH THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY OF AMERICA. New York: Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, 1940. Paper wrappers, small 8vo. 22 pages. In Hebrew; cover in English and Hebrew. Illustrated with two photographs. Reprinted from "Hadoar, " Nos. 13 and 14, 1940. Slight damp stain to cover and few pages, otherwise Very good condition. (BIB-7-23/15-8) (ID #15136/24278) $35.00.
42. • Simon and Schuster, Inc. MEYER LEVIN: FIFTY YEARS IN WRITING. New York: Simon And Schuster, 1974. Softcover, 15 pages, portraits, 8vo, 21 cm. Sympathetic look at the complicated Levin, who some say was "obsessed" with Anne Frank. SUBJECT (S): Jewish authors -- United States -- Biography. Levin, Meyer, 1905-1981. Cover title. OCLC lists 6 copies worldwide. Articles added. Chipping to edge of cover, some staining. Very good condition. (Holo2-19-82) (ID #23552) $30.00.
43. • Universitah Ha-Ivrit Bi-Yerushalayim. YISRAEL AHARONI 640-707: DEVARIM SHE-NEEMRU BA-AZKARAH BA-UNIVERSITAH HA-IVRIT. (18.11.46). Jerusalem: Ha-Universitah Ha-Ivrit, 1946. Softcover, 18 pages, portrait, long 8vo. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Aharoni, Israel. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Harvard). Slight sunning to cover. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-15-21) (ID #24290) $30.00.
44. • ENCYCLOPEDIA JUDAICA. COMPLETE IN16 VOLUMES, PLUS ALL 5 YEAR BOOKS. Keter Publishing House, 1973. Cloth, 8.75 X 12.25. Loaded with black & white and color illustrations, Minor rubbing to few of the volumes. Beautiful color plates and black and white illustrations. Fully indexed. Postage at cost for this set. Very Good Condition. (LIC) (ID #24304) $225.00.
45. • Another set. Ex-Library, Good + Condition. (LIC) (ID #24305) $175.00.
46. • HALLESCHES AKADEMISCHES VADEMECUM. BAND. 1, BIO-BIBLIOGRAPHIE DER AKTIVEN PROFESSOREN, PRIVATDOZENTEN UND LEKTOREN DER VEREINIGTEN FRIEDRICHS-UNIVERSITÄT HALLE-WITTENBERG. Halle (Saale): Hohmann, 1909. Hardcover (library binding), 8vo, 192 pages. In German. Hallesches Academic Guide. Band. 1, Bio-Bibliography of Active Professors, Teachers and the United Friedrichs University Halle-Wittenberg. Many entries are for Jewish academics of the time. OCLC lists 6 copies worldwide. Ex-library with institutional stamp. Damp stain to pages. Good - condition. (BIB-12-9) (ID #24261) $100.00.
47. • ENZYKLOPÄDIE DES JUDENTUMS: PROBEHEFT. [ENCYCLOPAEDIA JUDAICA]. Berlin, Verlag "eschkol", 1926. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Large 4to; 95 pages; Pre-publication promotional example of content for the planned monumental Enzyklopaedie des Judentums (When it was published it was called the Encyclopaedia Judaica). A nice addition to any set of the encycopedia. Wear to wrappers, spine repaired. Text in Good Condition; (bib-12-12) (ID #4373) $40.00.
48. • ENTSIKLOPEDYAH MIKRAIT: OTSAR HA-YEDIOT AL HA-MIKRA U-TEKUFATO (1-7 VOLUMES OF 9). Yerushalayim: Mosad Byalik, 1950-1988. אנציקלופדיה מקראית: אוצר הידיעות על המקרא ותקופתו Cloth with gilt lettering on spine, 4to, illustrated. 1-7 VOLUMES ONLY OF 9. In Hebrew. Title on added title page: Encyclopaedia Biblica. Thesaurus Rerum Biblicarum Alphabetico Ordine Digestus. Contents: Kerekh 1. Av-atarim.--Kerekh 2. B-Zetar.--Kerekh 3. Hovav-Yetet.--Kerekh 4. Kaved-meltahah.--Kerekh 5. Memukhan-Sitri.--Kerekh 6. Eved-Tsaretan.--Kerekh 7. Kaat-shelishiyah.--Kerekh 8. Shem-Tatni.--Kerekh 9. Meaftehot. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O.T. -- Dictionaries -- Hebrew. Large chip on spine of Volume 4 jacket. Other wise, Very good condition in Very good jackets. (BIB-18-3) (ID #24347) $300.00.
49. • Frumkin, Aryeh Leib. ספר תולדות חכמי ירושלם: משנת ה"א ור"ן ליצירה עד ה"א ותר"ל ליצירה / חברו אריה ליב פרומקין. יצא לאור בשלשה חלקים, עם תולדות המחבר ותמונתו, ועם הערות והוספות רבות, מלואים ומפתחות / מאת אליעזר ריבלין. בהשתתפות חכמים וסופרים. SEFER TOLDOT HAKHME YERUSHALAYIM: MI-SHENAT 5250-5630. Yerushalayim: Defus Salomon, 688-690 [1927-1930]. Cloth, 167 pages, 8vo, 2nd volume, 24 cm. Frumkin (1845-1916) "studied rabbinics in his native Kelme, Lithuania, and at the Slobodka Yeshivah. He visited Erez Israel in 1867, and after two years in Odessa, returned to Jerusalem in 1871. There he began research for a history of the rabbis and scholars of Jerusalem, Toledot Hakhmei Yerushalayim. Frumkin's account of his first visit to Jerusalem, Massa Even Shemu'el (1871), gives important source material on conditions in Erez Israel at the time. Returning to Lithuania, Frumkin was ordained a rabbi and took a rabbinical post at Ilukste, Latvia. After the 1881 pogroms, Frumkin participated, representing Hovevei Zion, in the consultations held in Germany to consider the plight of Russian Jewry. There he advocated settlement in Erez Israel as a solution, opposing emigration to the United States. With the financial support of Emil Lachman, a wealthy Berlin Jew, he bought land in Petah Tikvah, built the first house there, and began a heroic ten-year period as a farmer-scholar, braving malaria and other dangers, establishing a talmud torah and a small yeshivah, and persuading more settlers to move there from Yehud. " (Michael Berenbaum and Fred Skolnik in EJ, 2007). Vol. 1 includes facsimilies of several sections illustrative of the original edition (Vilna, 1874). Includes bibliography of Frumkin (vol. 1 p. 1-iv). Also includes bibliographical references. Subject: Jewish scholars. Rabbis -- Jerusalem -- Biography. Jerusalem -- Biography. Wear and tear on cover and binding. Otherwise very good condition. (k-rab-1-29) (ID #21680) $100.00.
50. • Higger, Michael. OTSAR HA-BARAYTOT. New York, Hotsaat "debe Rabanan", 1944. Hardcover, 482 pages, 8vo. 22 cm. In Hebrew. Sefer Zayin. SUBJECT (S): Baraitha. Includes bibliographies. Higger, a great scholar, taught at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. JTS copy with bookplate. OCLC lists 33 copies worldwide. Hinge repair. Light staining on front and back cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-16) (ID #24326) $95.00.
50A. • Landman, Isaac, Ed. THE UNIVERSAL JEWISH ENCYCLOPEDIA IN TEN VOLUMES: AN THE UNIVERSAL JEWISH ENCYCLOPEDIA IN TEN VOLUMES. AN AUTHORITATIVE AND POPULAR PRESENTATION OF JEWS AND JUDAISM SINCE THE EARLIEST TIMES. Complete in 10 volumes, plus the elusive Index volume. New York The Universal Jewish Encyclopedia 1942. Cloth, 4to (large) ; over 2000 pages;. Shunami # 10. "More than 10,000 articles....The major part of the encyclopedia has been devoted, naturally, to modern Jewish Life." Dated, certainly, but an excellent source for information on Jewish life in the first half of the 20th Century. Some volumes are ex-library with usual marks. A good set. $150.00
51. • Stahlin, Otto. DIE HELLENISTISCH-JÜDISCHE LITTERATUR. Munchen: Beck, 1921. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 536-658 pages (ie. 122 pages). In German. SUBJECT(S): Literature, Jewish. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Louisiana State Univ). Good condition. (GER-26-9) (ID #20368) $50.00.
52. • Zunz, Leopold. ZUR GESCHICHTE UND LITERATUR. Berlin: Veit Und Comp, 1845. Cloth, 8vo. Viii, 607 pages. In German. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jewish literature - history and criticism; Hebrew literature - history and criticism; Manuscripts, Hebrew - bibliography; Printing - Czech Republic - Prague - history; Printing, Hebrew. CONTENTS: Die jüdische Literatur. --Zur Literatur des jüdischen Mittelalters in Frankreich und Deutschland. --Bibliographisches: Daten-Bestimmungen. Sammlungen und Verseichnisse. Drucker und Drucke von Mantua (a. 1476 bis 1662) Druckereien in Prag. Annalen der hebräischen Typographie von Prag (1513-1657) --Das Gedächtniss der Gerechten. --Die jüdischen Dichter der Provence. --Geschichte der Juden in Sieilien. --Münzkunde. --Berichtigungen und Nachträge. --Verzeichniss der benutzten handschriftlichen hebräischen Werke. --Register der Personennamen. Zunz (1794-1886), born and educated in Germany, was a well-known historian. An heir to European Enlightenment, he was a founded of the idea of the "Science of Judaism. " In that vein, he fruitlessly hoped that Jewish studies would be taught in universities as a regular academic discipline, and that he'd be able to do the teaching. He believed that Jewish literature and learning was part of the broader scope of human affairs, including the sciences, and should not be shut up merely in discussions of religious matters. For his seventieth birthday, a foundation was set up to fund Zunz's and other similar scholarship. He continued to work until 1874, when his wife's death left him seriously depressed. (Glatzer, EJ) Ex library. Rebound. Edges tanning, good condition. (SPEC-7-5) (ID #24233) $300.00.
53. • Gesenius, Wilhelm, 1786-1842. Gibbs, Josiah W; 1790-1861; (Josiah Willard), A HEBREW AND ENGLISH LEXICON OF THE OLD TESTAMENT: INCLUDING THE BIBLICAL CHALDEE FROM THE GERMAN WORKS OF PROF. W. GESENIUS. Andover, Mass: Flagg And Gould, 1824. Hardcover, 8vo, 715 pages. Malachi  # 343; Marcus  # 70. Not listed in Goldman, though he does reference it. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew language -- Dictionaries - English. English language - Dictionaries -- Hebrew. Hinge repaired. Ex-library with book pocket. Soil and damp stain to pages. Covers worn, binding damaged, but quality paper remains good and solid. Fair condition overall. (BIB-12-13) We can have this rebound for you. Please enquire. (ID #24265) $150.00.
54. • Gesenius, Wilhelm. NEUES HEBRAISCH-DEUTSCHES HANDWORTERBUCH UBER DAS ALTE TESTAMENT MIT EINSCHLUSS DES BIBLISCHEN CHALDAISMUS: EIN AUSZUG AUS DEM GROSSEN WERKE IN VIELEN ARTIKELN DESSELBEN UMGEARBEITET VORNEHMLICH FUR SCHULEN. Leipzig: F.C.W. Vogel, 1815. Hardcover, xvi, 720 pages, 8vo, 24 cm. First printing of his improved work. In German. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language -- Dictionaries -- German. Bible. O.T. – Dictionaries. “Gesenius' main field of interest was the scientific investigation of biblical Hebrew based on comparison with other Semitic languages and his studies remained basic for subsequent research. His work was the first in a field of research that freed the study of Hebrew from theological considerations.” (Garbell, EJ 2007). This is an improved edition of his first Hebraeisch-deutsches Handwoerterbuch. Other Titles: Neues hebraisch- deutsches Handworterbuch uber das Alte Testament.; Hebraisch-deutsches Handworterbuch uber das Alte Testament.; Hebraisch- deutsches Handworterbuch uber das Alte Testament. OCLC lists 20 copies worldwide. Front and back cover detached. Lacks backstrip. Binding and Hinge repair. Stained pages. Ex-library and institutional bookplate. Otherwise, good condition. (Rab-34-12) $75.00
55. • Åke W. Sjöberg, editor; University Of Pennsylvania Museum. THE SUMERIAN DICTIONARY OF THE UNIVERSITY MUSEUM OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA VOLUME 1, PART 2 (OF 3). Philadelphia, Pa. Babylonian Section Of The Univ. Museum, 1994. Cloth, with gilt lettering, 4to, 202 pages. Responsibility: "With the collaboration of Hermann Behrens, Antoine Cavigneaux, Barry L. Eichler, Margaret W. Green, Erle Leichty, Darlene M. Loding, and Steve Tinney" SUBJECT (S): Sumerian language -- Dictionaries -- English. Contains entries for the letter A.Includes list of bibliographical abbreviations. Light damp stain and buckling to pages. Good condition. (BIB-17-6) (ID #24339) $75.00.
56. • Åke W. Sjöberg, editor; University Of Pennsylvania Museum. THE SUMERIAN DICTIONARY OF THE UNIVERSITY MUSEUM OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA VOLUME 2. Philadelphia, Pa. Babylonian Section Of The Univ. Museum, 1984. Cloth, with gilt lettering, 4to, 220 pages. Responsibility: "With the collaboration of Hermann Behrens, Barry L. Eichler, Margaret W. Green, Erle Leichty, and Darlene M. Loding" SUBJECT (S): Sumerian language -- Dictionaries -- English. Contains entries for the letter B. Includes list of bibliographical abbreviations. Light damp stain and buckling to pages. Good condition. (BIB-17-7) (ID #24340) $75.00.
57. • Alcalay, Reuben, 1907-. THE COMPLETE ENGLISH-HEBREW DICTIONARY (VOLUME 2). Tel-Aviv: Massada, 1959. Hardcover, large 8vo. Volume 2 of four volumes. In English and Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): English language -- Dictionaries -- Hebrew. Title on added t. P. In Hebrew: Milon Angli-Ivri shalem. Very good condition in very good jacket. (BIB-10-3a) (ID #23987) $30.00.
58. • Alcalay, Reuben, 1907-. THE COMPLETE ENGLISH-HEBREW DICTIONARY (VOLUMES 2,3 AND 4 OF 4: MISSING VOLUME 1). Tel-Aviv: Massada, 1960. Hardcover, large 8vo. Three of four volumes. In English and Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): English language -- Dictionaries -- Hebrew. Title on added t. P. In Hebrew: Milon Angli-Ivri shalem. Jackets slightly chipped and edgeworn. Very good condition in good jacket. (BIB-10-3) (ID #23986) $75.00.
59. • Alcalay, Reuben, 1907-. MILON IVRI-ANGLI SHALEM (COMPLETE IN FOUR VOLUMES). Tel-Aviv: Massadah, 1964. Hardcover, large 8vo. Four volumes. In Hebrew and English. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew language -- Dictionaries -- English. Title on added t.p: The complete Hebrew-English dictionary. Small tear to Volume 1's jacket. Very good condition in Very Good jackets. (BIB-10-4) (ID #23988) $200.00.
60. • Alcalay, Reuben, 1907-. MILON IVRI-ANGLI SHALEM (COMPLETE IN ONE VOLUME). Tel-Aviv: Massadah, 1981. Hardcover, large 8vo, 2883 pages. In Hebrew and English. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew language -- Dictionaries -- English. Title on added t.p: The complete Hebrew-English dictionary. Small chips to jacket spine. Very good condition in Very Good jacket. (BIB-10-4A) (ID #23989) $150.00.
61. • Avinoam, Reuven. COMPENDIOUS HEBREW-ENGLISH DICTIONARY, COMPRISING A COMPLETE VOCABULARY OF BIBLICAL, MISHNAIC, MEDIEVAL AND MODERN HEBREW. Tel-Aviv, Dvir Pub. Co, 1960. Hardcover, 423 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. Added title page in Hebrew: Milon 'ivri-angli shalem. Compiled by Reuben Avinoam (Grossman) in collaboration with H. Sachs. Revised and edited by M. H. Segal. OCLC lists 22 copies worldwide. Wear and minimal chipping to edges and corners of dust jacket. Light staining to cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-11-14) (ID #24052) $30.00.
62. • Baron, Salo. SOCIAL AND RELIGIOUS HISTORY OF THE JEWS (COMPLETE IN 18 VOLUMES). New York/ Philadelphia, Columbia/Jewish Publication Society of America, Cloth, 8vo, Includes Index to vols 1-8. Very Good Condition. A beautiful set. (lic) Very Good Condition. (ID #24453) $400.00.
63. • Brookes, Reuben Solomon. A DICTIONARY OF JUDAISM. London, S. Vallentine, 1959. Cloth, 8vo. Xvi, 255 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Judaism -- Dictionaries. Ex library in very good condition (SPEC4-10) (ID #20425) $30.00.
64. • Hasidah, Yisrael Yitshak. אוצר מאמרי הלכה: כחמישה ושלשים אלף מאמרי חז״ל, מתוך שני התלמודים המדרש והזהר ... OTSAR MAAMRE HALAKHAH: KA-HAMISHAH U-SHELOSHIM ELEF MAAMRE HAZAL, MI-TOKH SHENE HA-TALMUDIM HA-MIDRASH VEHA-ZOHAR ... COMPLETE IN 2 VOLUMES.. Yerushalayim: Yotse Le-Or Be-Shituf Im Hotsaat Reuven Mas, 1960. 2 v; 25 cm. Edition: Mahad. 2 metuk Ent le-k Ore ha-Arets. In Hebrew. Contents: v. 1. Aleph-Lamed -- v. 2. Mem-Tav ve mafteh Ot [index]. Abstract: Some 35, 000 quotations of the Sages from both Talmuds, the Midrash, the Zohar ; arranged alphabetically by key words. SUBJECT(S): Proverbs, Hebrew. Talmud -- Quotations. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (Arizona State, YIVO, Concordia) Very Good Condition in Very Good Jackets. (LIC) (ID #24465) $135.00.
65. • Herlitz, Georg; and Bruno Kirschner, Eds. JÜDISCHES LEXIKON: EIN ENZYKLOPÄDISCHES HANDBUCH DES JÜDISCHEN WISSENS IN VIER BÄNDEN. 4 VOLUMES IN 5 VLOUMES (COMPLETE). Berlin, Jüdischer Verlag, 1927-1930. 1st Edition. Cloth, 4to, ca 7000+ pages. Shunami # 4. "Mit über 2000 Illustrationen, Beilagen, Karten und Tabellen.Unter mitarbeit von über 230 jüdischen Gelehrten und Schriftstellern und unter redaktioneller Mithilfe von Ismar Elbogen " [and others]. A marvelous resource. Very Good Condition in Original cloth with attractive spines. A nice set (183) (ID #21429) $500.00.
66. • Hoffmann, Nehemyah Dov Ben Zeev. ספר אוצר נחמד: קבוצת מאמרים וענינים שונים אשר אדניהם על ידיעות העולם והטבע. SEFER OTSAR NEHMAD: KEVUTSAT MAAMARIM VE-INYANIM SHONIM ASHER ADNEHEM AL YEDIOT HA-OLAM VEHA-TEVA. Vilna: Bi-Defus Y. L. Ben E. Lipman Mats, 1876. Hardcover, 104, 88 pages, 8vo, 21 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Natural history. "Helek 1." No more published. Other Titles: Otsar nehmad; Otsar nekhmod. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Stanford). Ex-library. Water stain throughout book. Stained pages. Wear to edges and cover binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-15-3) (ID #24273) $100.00.
67. • JASTROW, MARCUS. A DICTIONARY OF THE TARGUMIM, THE TALMUD BABLI AND YERUSHALMI, AND THE MIDRASHIC LITERATURE: WITH AN INDEX OF SCRIPTURAL QUOTATIONS. New York, Pardes, 1950. 8vo, 1736 pages. Hardcover, 2 Volumes, xviii, 1736 pages, 8vo, 26cm. SUBJECT(S): Aramaic language -- Dictionaries -- English. Hebrew language, Talmudic -- Dictionaries -- English. Arameen (Langue) -- Dictionnaires anglais. Hebreu (Langue) -- Dictionnaires anglais. Misjna-Hebreeuws. Joods-Palestijns Aramees. Babylonisch Aramees. Engels. "With an index of Scriptural quotations." Other Titles: Sefer milim. Compiled by Marcus Jastrow. Light wear to binding. Very good condition. (BIB-11-12) (ID #24039) $50.00.
68. • Karpeles, Gustav. GESCHICHTE DER JÜDISCHEN LITERATUR. COMPLETE IN 2 VOLUMES. Berlin: Robert Oppenheim, 1886. 1st edition. Cloth; 8vo. Vi, 1172 pages. In German. Series: Geschichte der literatur der europäischen völker. Karpeles was a literary historian, editor of many periodicals including the Allgemeine Zeitung des Judentums, and the Jahrbuch fuer juedische Geschichte und Literatur. "His most important contribution to Jewish scholarship was the Geschichte der juedischen Literatur.Karpeles was not an original or profound scholar, but he did much to popularize Jewish literature and history. " (Sol Liptzin, EJ) SUBJECT(S): Hebrew literature -- History and criticism. OCLC lists 13 copies worldwide. Volume I has label of S. J. Strauss on inside front cover. Strauss was a Pennsylvania judge. Both volumes lack backstrip (spine covering), otherwise Very Good Condition. 2nd Volume missing covers, hinge repair to First volume. Marbled endpapers. otherwise Very Good Condition. Another set of the 1909 edition available, missing backstrip but covers intact, marbled covers and endpapers, Very Good condition. (GR-6-21) (ID #20406) $100.00.
69. • Kasher, Menahem. ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIBLICAL INTERPRETATION: A MILLENNIAL ANTHOLOGY. VOLUME 1 - 6 of 9. New York: American Biblical Encyclopedia Society, 1953 -. Cloth. 4to. Xxi, 262 pages. Volume 1 - 6, 8 of 9. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Pentateuch - commentaries - encyclopedias. Kasher (1895-1983) was born in Warsaw, and studied with the greatest Polish rabbis of his time. He was ordained in 1915 by Meir Dan Plotzki and emigrated to Palestine in 1925. Kasher earned his reputation through literary work, primarily the writing of encyclopedias and anthologies. In 1950 Kasher founded, in Jerusalem and in New York, the Torah Shelemah Institute for research and publication, and he was awarded the Israel Prize in 1962. (EJ, 2007) Volume 1: Ex library. Corners worn, inch-long tear at bottom of back strip, good condition. Vols. 2-6: Not ex-library. Very Good in Very Good Jackets. (BIBLE-9-11/LIC) (ID #24303) $400.00.
70. • Kasher, Menahem. Kasher, Menahem. ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIBLICAL INTERPRETATION: A MILLENNIAL ANTHOLOGY. VOLUME 1 - 8 OF 9.ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIBLICAL INTERPRETATION: A MILLENNIAL ANTHOLOGY. VOLUME 1 - 6, AND 8 OF 9. New York: American Biblical Encyclopedia Society. New York: American Biblical Encyclopedia Society, 1953 -. Cloth. 4to. Xxi, 262 pages. Volume 1 - 8 of 9. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Pentateuch - commentaries - encyclopedias. Kasher (1895-1983) was born in Warsaw, and studied with the greatest Polish rabbis of his time. He was ordained in 1915 by Meir Dan Plotzki and emigrated to Palestine in 1925. Kasher earned his reputation through literary work, primarily the writing of encyclopedias and anthologies. In 1950 Kasher founded, in Jerusalem and in New York, the Torah Shelemah Institute for research and publication, and he was awarded the Israel Prize in 1962. (EJ, 2007) Volume 1: Ex library. Corners worn, inch-long tear at bottom of back strip, good condition. Vols. 2-8: Not ex-library. Very Good in Very Good Jackets. (BIBLE-9-11/LIC) Cloth. 4to. Xxi, 262 pages. Volume 1 - 6, 8 of 9. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. Pentateuch - commentaries - encyclopedias. Kasher (1895-1983) was born in Warsaw, and studied with the greatest Polish rabbis of his time. He was ordained in 1915 by Meir Dan Plotzki and emigrated to Palestine in 1925. Kasher earned his reputation through literary work, primarily the writing of encyclopedias and anthologies. In 1950 Kasher founded, in Jerusalem and in New York, the Torah Shelemah Institute for research and publication, and he was awarded the Israel Prize in 1962. (EJ, 2007) Volume 1: Ex library. Corners worn, inch-long tear at bottom of back strip, good condition. Vols. 2-6, and 8: Not ex-library. Very Good in Very Good Jackets. (BIBLE-9-11/LIC) (ID #21147) $500.00.
71. • Lewinsky, Yom-Tov. אנציקלופדיה של הווי ומסורת ביהדות: אוצר ידיעות על ערכי-יסוד, הליכות-חיים, מטבעות-לשון, נימוסים ומנהגי העדות בישראל ENTSIKLOPEDYAH SHEL HAVAI U-MASORET BA-YAHADUT: OTSAR YEDIOT AL ERKHE-YESOD, HALIKHOT-HAYIM, MATBEOT-LASHON, NIMUSIM U-MINHAGE HA-EDOT BE-YISRAEL (2 VOLUMES, COMPLETE). Tel-Aviv: Devir, 1970. Hardcover, 2 volumes, 864 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Dictionaries -- Hebrew. Other Titles: Title on title page verso: Encyclopedia of folklore, customs and tradition in Judaism. Ex-library. Wear to edges of dust jacket. Paper edge wear to page 475. Sunning to dust jacket binding. Wear to binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-13-2) (ID #24116) $75.00.
72. • Rabinowitz, Rabbi Samuel. אוצר הדרוש וההטפה: דרושים לימים נוראים ולחגים ומועדים OTSAR HA-DERUSH VEHA-HATAFAH: DERUSHIM LE-YAMIM NORIM ULE-HAGIM U-MOADIM. New York, Pardes Book Store And Publishing House, 1930. Hardcover, 8vo, 81 pages. In Yiddish, Hebrew, and English. "An Encyclopedia of Jewish Homiletics. Engaging and accessible sermons on the High Holidays." includes a sermon in English on the book of Jonah. SUBJECTS(S): High Holiday sermons. Sukkot sermons. Jewish sermons, Yiddish. Wear to spine and cover faded and discolored. Otherwise good condition. (BIB-7-32) (ID #23960) $30.00.
73. • Rubens, Alfred. A HISTORY OF JEWISH COSTUME. Funk & Wagnalls: New York, 1967. Hardback, 4to, 220 pages, in English. SUBJECT(S): Jewish clothing and dress. Bibliography on pages 208-211. Wear to edges of dust jacket. Very good condition. (BIB-9-25) (ID #23830) $30.00.
74. • Scharfstein, Zevi, 1884-1972. אוצר הרעיונות והפתגמים: מימ המקרא ועד ימינו: ערוכים לפי נושאים בסדר אלפבית OTSAR HA-RAYONOT VEHA-PITGAMIM: I-YEME HA-MIKRA VE-AD YAMENU COMPLETE IN 3 VOLUMES. -Aviv: Yavneh: Shiloh, 1966. Hardcover, 4to. 3 volumes. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Quotations, Hebrew. Hebrew literature -- Quotations, maxims, etc. On English title page: "Lexicon of ideas and epigrams. Quotations from classical and modern Hebrew literature. Culled and arranged according to subject." Dustjackets slightly sunned. Lower corners slightly bumped. Very good condition in very good jackets. (BIB-18-2) (ID #24346) $175.00.
75. • Segal, M. H. 1877-1968. (Moses Hirsch). מבוא המקרא MEVO HA-MIKRA. VOLS 1-4, COMPLETE. Yerushalayim: Kiryat Sefer, 1960. Cloth, 8vo, 1042 pages; 23 cm. In Hebrew. Contents: חלק א. פתיחה כללית, תורה, נביאים ראשונים ־־ חלק ב. נביאים אחרונים ־־ חלק ג. כתובים ־־ חלק ד. תולדות המקרא. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. -- Introductions. Vol. 2 has ed. Statement: "Mahad. 5 metukenet u-mugdelet." Very Good Condition in Very Good Jackets. (LIC) (ID #24463) $75.00.
76. • Singer, Isidore, & Cyrus Adler, editors. THE JEWISH ENCYCLOPEDIA: A DESCRIPTIVE RECORD OF THE HISTORY TO THE PRESENT DAY. 12 VOLUMES (COMPLETE). Funk & Wagnals, 1912. Cloth, Large 8vo; ca 8500 pages; 12 volumes. A descriptive record of the history, religion, literature, and customs of the Jewish people from the earliest times to the present day. Loaded with photos and illustrations. A great work of 19th century scholarship not superseded by contemporary encyclopedias. Beautiful set, luxuriously rebound in deep blue cloth with leather spine label, the most beautiful set we have ever handled. A truly deluxe set. (LIC) $750.00
77. • Singer, Isidore, & Cyrus Adler, editors. THE JEWISH ENCYCLOPEDIA: A DESCRIPTIVE RECORD OF THE HISTORY TO THE PRESENT DAY. 12 VOLUMES (COMPLETE). Funk & Wagnals, 1912. Cloth. A very nice set, far better condition than usually encountered,Very Good condition. (LIC) (ID #24306) $400.00.
78. • Tur-Sinai, Naphtali H. 1886-1973. (Naphtali Herz), פשוטו של מקרא: פרוש לסתומות שבכתבי הקודש לפי סדר הכתובים במסורת PESHUTO SHEL MIKRA: PERUSH LA-SETUMOT SHEBE-KHITVE HA-KODESH... COMPLETE IN 4 VOLUMES IN 6. Jerusalem: Kiryat Sefer, 1968. 4 v. In 6 ; 25 cm. In Hebrew. Contents: A.. The five books of the Torah - on. First Prophets - c 1. Isaiah, Jeremiah - c 2. Ezekiel, Minor prophet - D 1. Psalms, Proverbs - D 2. Ayoub, Five Scrolls, Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah, Chronicles. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. Very Good Condition in Very Good Jackets. (LIC) (ID #24464) $175.00.
78A. • Vosgien, 1709-1765. DICTIONNAIRE HISTORIQUE-PORTATIF : CONTENANT L'HISTOIRE DES PATRIARCHES, DES PRINCES HEBREUX, DES EMPEREURS, DES ROIS, ET DES GRANDS CAPITAINES; DES DIEUX & DES HEROS DE L'ANTIQUITÉ PAYENNE… (ONE OF TWO VOLUMES). Paris: Didot, 1760. Original boards, 835 pages. In French. ONE OF TWO VOLUMES. English translation of title: "Historical portable Dictionary, containing the history of patriarchs, Hebrew princes, emperors, kings and great captains of gods and heroes of ancient pagan, popes, saints, fathers, bishops and cardinals famous, historians, poets, speakers, theologians, lawyers, doctors, & c. With their major works & their best editions; learned women, painters, & c. ... by ... Ladvocat the Abbe ..." Original binding, lacks spine. Marbled endpapers. Small tear and wrinkles to back endpaper. Good condition. (BIB-21-7) $200.00
79. • Waxman, Meyer. A HISTORY OF JEWISH LITERATURE FROM THE CLOSE OF THE BIBLE TO OUR OWN DAYS. 5 VOLUMES IN 6 (COMPLETE). New York, London: Yoseloff, 1960. Cloth; 8vo. 539, 712, 767, 629, 1312 (in two parts), 361. Bibliography at back of each volume. Nicely bound in gray cloth. Volume One, "From the Close of the Canon to the End of the 12th Century" Volume 2: "From the 12th Century to the Middle of the 18th Century", Volume Three: "From the Middle of the 18th Century to the Year 1880", Volume Four: "From 1880 to 1935 ", and Volume Five: "From 1935 to 1960, ". (BIB-12-18) (ID #24251) $50.00.
80. • Zinberg, Israel. A HISTORY OF JEWISH LITERATURE. Complete in 12 volumes. Cleveland, Press of Case Western Reserve University/HUC, 1972-78. Cloth, 8vo, approximately 2500 pages. English translation of Geshikhte fun der literatur bay Yidn (1929). Contents: v. 1. The Arabic-Spanish period.--v. 2. French and German Jewry in the early Middle Ages. The Jewish community of medieval Italy.--v. 3. The struggle of mysticism and tradition against philosophical rationalism.--v. 4. Italian Jewry in the Renaissance era.--v. 5. The Jewish center of culture in the Ottoman empire.--v. 6. The German-Polish cultural center.--v. 7. Old Yiddish literature from its origins to the Haskalah period.--v. 8. The Berlin Haskalah.--v. 9. Hasidism and enlightenment (1780-1820)--v. 10. The science of Judaism and Galician Haskalah.--v. 11. The Haskalah movement in Russia.--v. 12. Haskalah at its zenith. Increasingly difficult to find. Ex-library with usual marks, otherwise Very Good Condition. (ID #19084) $400.00.
81. • MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF "LIBRARIANS OF JEWISH INSTITUTIONS", HELD UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR JEWISH EDUCATION AT ATLANTIC CITY, MAY 25, 1956. Lawrence, New York: Temple Israel, 1956. 3 typed pages, stapled. First page reads that the meeting was attended by 8 Judaic librarians for Congregations and Institutions in New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Ohio, including Rabbi Philip Goodman from the Jewish Book Council. One area discussed at the meeting was the formation of a professional organization for librarians of Jewish Institutions nationwide. Of course this later became the Association for Jewish Libraries (AJL). Small tear and chips to pages, paper folded in three. Good + condition. (BIB-18-10) (ID #24358) $30.00.
82. • Thompson, James Westfall. ANCIENT LIBRARIES. London, Archon Books, 1962. Hardcover, 120 pages, illustrated, 12mo, 20 cm. Includes Jewish libraries and old-testament content. SUBJECT (S): Libraries -- History -- To 400. Bibliographical "Notes" on pages 101-120. Ex-library with usual markings. Water stain throughout book. Stained dust jacket, front and back inner cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-9-13) (ID #23968) $35.00.
83. • Marcus, Jacob Rader. ALL HAIL TO A PRINCE OF A SCHNORRER: THE COLLECTED SCHNOR LETTERS OF DR. JACOB MARCUS. Cincinnati: American Jewish Archives, 1996. Softcover, 56 pages, illustrated, 8vo, 26 cm. "Jacob Rader Marcus (1896-1995) was a scholar of Jewish history and a Reform rabbi. In 1922, Marcus travelled to Berlin to study Jewish history with Ismar Elbogen, who awarded Marcus a Ph. D. In 1925.After briefly studying at Hebrew University in Jerusalem in 1926, Marcus returned to Cincinnati, where he lectured at HUC consistently until 1995. In 1959, he was named the Adolph S. Ochs Professor of American Jewish History. In 1965, he was appointed to HUC's Milton and Hattie Kutz Distinguished Service Chair in American Jewish History. Marcus devoted most of his post-World War II historical career to American Jewish history and founded the American Jewish Archives in Cincinnati in 1947 on the campus of HUC. He is, perhaps, best known for his work on Medieval European Jewish history, The Jew in the Medieval World: A Source Book: 315-1791, first published in 1938" (Wikipedia). SUBJECT(S): Rabbis -- United States -- Correspondence. Marcus, Jacob Rader, 1896-1995. -- Correspondence. American Jewish Archives. OCLC lists 12 copies worldwide. Light wear to edges of cover. Very good condition. (BIB-9-18) (ID #23972) $30.00.
84. • Wiesel, Elie. INSIDE A LIBRARY AND THE STRANGER IN THE BIBLE. N. P, Hebrew Union College, N.d (1981?). Wrappers, Large 8vo, 48 pages. Two speeches delivered in 1980 & 1981(BIB-12-16) Light wear & few tiny stains to wrappers, overall Very Good. (ID #259) $30.00.
MUSEUM & EXHIBITION CATALOGS
85. • MAN'S EXPRESSION OF HIMSELF. The Jewish Museum; The Jewish Theological Seminary, 1960s?. Pamphlet, 8vo, 8pages. Overview of the history of the Jewish Museum and its collection. Illustrated with photos of spice boxes from the collection. (BIB-7-21) (ID #23951) $30.00.
86. • Werses, Samuel, 1915- Szeintuch, Yechiel. תערוכת מנדלי מוכר ספרים (שלום יעקב אברמוביץ): במלאת חמישים שנה לפטירתו, קטלוג . TAARUKHAT MENDELE MOKHER SEFARIM (SHALOM YAAKOV ABRAMOVITS):. Jerusalem: Jewish National And University Library, 1968. Paper wrappers, 17, 66, viii p: port; 24 cm. In Hebrew, Yiddish and English. SUBJECT(S): Named Person: Mendele Mokher Sefarim, 1835-1917 -- Bibliography. 330 items listed. Title on English title page: “Exhibition Mendele Mokher Sefarim. (Shalom Yaacov Abramowitz) on the Fiftieth Anniversary of his Death: Catalogue. Illustrated throughout with book covers, illustrations from his books, and facsimiles of handwritten manuscripts. ” Frontispiece black and white portrait of Mokher Sforim tipped in. Wear and slight sunning to covers. Text in Very good condition. (BIB-21-3) (ID #24456) $35.00.
87. • Weyl, Martin and Rivka Weiss-Blok. הולנד של רמבראנדט HOLAND SHEL REMBRANDT. Yerushalayim: Muzeon Yisrael, 1993. Hardcover, 205, xxii pages, heavily illustrated, some color, Folio, 32 cm. In Hebrew, Hebrew and English. Katalog ; mis. 348; Variation: Katalog (Muzeon Yisrael (Jerusalem) ; mis. 348. Table of Contents: Holland as Jerusalem, The Golden Age of Amsterdam Jewry, Dutch Painting in the Golden Age, Biblical Painting in Seventeenth-century Holland, The Influence of Josephus Flavius’s Antiquities of the Jews on Seventeenth-century Painting, Hebrew Inscriptions in Rembrandt’s Art, Chronology, The Artists, Glossary, Selected Bibliography. SUBJECT(S): Painting, Dutch -- 17th century -- Exhibitions. Jews -- Netherlands -- Amsterdam -- Intellectual life. Bible -- Illustrations -- Exhibitions. Published in conjunction with the exhibiton “Painting the Bible in Rembrandt’s Holland”, Israel Museum, Spertus Gallery, Spring 1993. Title on added title page: Rembrandt’s Holland. Includes bibliographical references on pages 202-205 and index. Other titles: Rembrandt's Holland. OCLC lists 19 copies worldwide. In dust jacket. Light wear to edges. Very good condition. (BIB-11-9) (ID #24048) $30.00.
88. • Berlin, Charles; and Aaron Katchen, editors. CHRISTIAN HEBRAISM: THE STUDY OF JEWISH CULTURE BY CHRISTIAN SCHOLARS IN MEDIEVAL AND EARLY MODERN TIMES. PROCEEDINGS OF A COLLOQUIUM AND CATALOGUE OF AN EXHIBITION. ARRANGED BY THE JUDAICA DEPARTMENT OF THE HARVARD COLLEGE LIBRARY ON THE OCCASION OF HARVARD'S 350TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION. Paperback, 8vo, Cambridge, Harvard University Library, 1988. Paper Wrappers, Oblong 4to, 58 pages. Includes illustrations & facsimiles. 22 x 28 cm. Contents include: The Ambiguous bond, Hebrew Bible and Old Testament, by Krister Stendahl; The Medieval background of Christian Hebraism, by Marc E. Saperstein; Christian Hebraism from the Renaissance to the Enlightenment, by Aaron L. Katchen; etc. Exhibition catalogue arranged and prepared by Charles Berlin and Aaron L. Katchen; with text by Aaron L. Katchen. "Colloquium, May 5, 1986; Exhibition, May 1986". Subject: Hebrew language -- Study and teaching -- History. Judaism -- Relations -- Christianity. Christianity and other religions -- Judaism. Humanism. Hebraists, Christian. wear. Very good condition. (BIB-9-19) (ID #23827) $25.00.
89. • Bet Ha-Nekhot Ha-Leumi Betsalel. HANUKHAH LAMPS FROM THE TICHO COLLECTION. Jerusalem: Bezalel National Museum, 1960. Softcover, 34 pages, illustrated, 12mo, 15 cm. Series: Jewish art exhibition at the Bezalel National Museum; 2. SUBJECT (S): Hanukkah lamp -- Exhibitions -- Catalogs. Named Corp: Bet ha-nekhot ha-leumi Betsalel. Other Titles: Ticho collection; Menorot h? Anukhah me-osef A. Tikho; Osef Tikho. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Hebrew Union). "In memory of Rabbi Carl Friedman and Barbara (Benjamin) Freidman. Brookline, Mass" stamped throughout. Browning to cover. Light wear. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-15-6) (ID #24276) $65.00.
90. • Cincinnati Art Museum; Hebrew Union College. JEWISH ART OBJECTS FROM THE COLLECTION OF THE HEBREW UNION COLLEGE. [Cincinnati, Ohio]: Cincinnati Art Museum, 1947. Paper wrappers,  pages. Illustrated. 16 plates of black and white photographs of ritual objects from a 1947 exhibition, one of the first to show a collection of Jewish art objects in a general art museum. (Introduction) Includes a 13 pages of history and background on the collection, which includes Torah covers, crowns, pointers, challah covers, candlesticks, Hanukkah lamps, scrolls, ketubot, spice boxes, manuscripts, and book bindings. SUBJECT(S): Art objects, Jewish -- Exhibitions. Art -- Ohio -- Cincinnati -- Exhibitions. Hebrew Union College -- Exhibitions. Name of previous owner stamped on cover. Cover slightly sunned. Very Good condition. (BIB-12-6) (ID #24258) $30.00.
91. • Handlin, Oscar and Charles Berlin. AMERICAN JEWISH EPHEMERA: A BICENTENNIAL EXHIBITION FROM THE JUDAICA COLLECTION OF THE HARVARD COLLEGE LIBRARY. Cambridge, Mass: The Library, 1977. Softcover, 176 pages, illustrated, facsims, 8vo, 23 cm. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- United States -- Politics and government -- Exhibitions. American Revolution Bicentennial, 1976 -- Massachusetts -- Cambridge. Juifs -- Etats-Unis -- Politique et gouvernement -- Expositions. Harvard University. Library -- Exhibitions. Harvard University. Library. United States -- Politics and government -- Exhibitions. Etats-Unis -- Anniversaires. Etats-Unis -- Politique et gouvernement -- Expositions. Light wear. Sunning to edges of cover binding. Very good condition. (BIB-9-20) (ID #23973) $15.00.
92. • Prague). THE JEWISH MUSEUM OF PRAGUE: A GUIDE THROUGH THE COLLECTIONS. Prague: Umelecká Beseda, 1948. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 33 pages, illustrated with plates. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jewish museums -- Czech Republic -- Prague. Státní zidovské museum (Prague, Czech Republic) In Good condition. (MX17-9) (ID #21489) $30.00.
93. • Raban, Zeev. זאב רבן ZEEV RABAN. ZEEV RABAN, 1890-1970. Yerushalayim: Galeryah Mayanot, 1993. Softcover, 57 pages, 4to, 30 cm. In Hebrew and English. Museum exhibition catalog. Profusely illustrated, some in color. SUBJECT(S): Raban, Zeev, 1890-1970 -- Exhibitions. Galeryah Mayanot (Jerusalem) -- Exhibitions. Hebrew and English. Catalog of an exhibition held at Mayanot Gallery, May 1993. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Ex-library. Wear to edges of cover. Very good condition. (BIB-9-24) (ID #23975) $70.00.
BOOKSELLER & AUCTION CATALOGS
94. • PARTIAL LIST OF BOOKS FROM THE LIBRARY OF DR GEORGE FOOT MOORE. New York: Schulte's Book Store?. 8vo. 4 pages. List of more than 200 books and periodicals in Moore's collection, as well as pamphlets and excerpts by Moore. Moore was a Presbyterian minister who became a professor of the history of religion at Harvard in 1904. "Moore's work was of importance in four fields--the shaping of U. S. Scholarship, the reshaping of U. S. Concepts of religion, the study of the Hebrew Bible, and the study of tannaitic Judaism.his JUDAISM IN THE FIRST CENTURIES OF THE CHRISTIAN ERA: THE AGE OF THE TANNAIM (1927-30).has been of great importance not only for Christians, but also for Jewish understanding of Judaism. " (Morton Smith in Encycolpedia Judaica, 1971, Vol XII, p. 294). In very good condition (AMR31-23) (ID #23812) $30.00.
95. • [Scop, Alan]. MENORAH RARE BOOKS, INC: 199 LOTS OF JUDAICA INCLUDING AUTOGRAPHED BOOK, RABBINIC LITERATURE, JUDAIC BOOKS, ENGRAVINGS, ETCHINGS, AND PRINTS. SUNDAY NOVEMBER 30, 1980. New York: Menorah Rare Books, 1980. Paper wrappers,  pages. Illustrated. Judaica Auction Catalog. Mailing label on back cover, very good condition. (BIB-18-8) (ID #24356) $30.00.
96. • A. Rosenthal Ltd. CATALOGUE 63: PALESTINE ZIONISM ISRAEL: BOOKS FROM THE LIBRARIES OF JUDGE NEVILLE LASKI, THE LATE ISRAEL COHEN AND OTHERS. Oxford: A. Rosenthal, [early 60's? ]. Wrappers; 8vo. 36 pages. 1067 items listed and described. OCLC lists no copies worldwide. Very good condition. (CT-8) (ID #14859) $35.00.
97. • Castelbolognesi, Tullio. Parke-Bernet Galleries. JUDAICA: INCLUDING GOLD & SILVER RITUAL OBJECTS, EARLY BRASS AND PEWTER, TEXTILES, HEBREW BOOKS AND MANUSCRIPTS, ILLUMINATED MARRIAGE CONTRACTS & SCROLLS OF ESTHER: FROM THE COLLECTION OF TULLIO CASTELBOLOGNESI, ROME, ITALY. PART II. New York: Parke-Bernet Galleries, 1957. Paper wrappers, 46 pages. Illustrated. Rest of title page reads: "Sold by his order and from other owners. Public auction sale, Thursday afternoon, February 14 at 1: 45 pm". SUBJECT (S): Art objects, Jewish -- Catalogs. Illumination of books and manuscripts. "Sale number 1733." Black and white photographs of auction items throughout. Cover slightly sunned. Very good condition. (BIB-15-33) (ID #24106) $40.00.
98. • Copy Corner. KATALOG: MI-KOL HA-SEFARIM. SHE-NIDPESU ETSEL COPY CORNER. CATALOG OF RARE SEFORIM #2. PRINTED AT COPY CORNER. Brooklyn: J. Biegeleisen, 1991. Softcover, 164 pages, facsims, 4to, 29 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Rabbinical literature -- Catalogs. Includes supplement: Reshimat ha-sefarim. Ha-mofiim bi-shene ha-katalogim on pages 1-4. Other Titles: Catalog of rare seforim, Catalog #2. Light wear. Small stain to front cover. Bottom of front cover, slight crease. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-4) (ID #24314) $30.00.
99. • Copy Corner. KATALOG: MI-KOL HA-SEFARIM. SHE-NIDPESU ETSEL COPY CORNER. CATALOG OF RARE SEFORIM. PRINTED AT COPY CORNER. Brooklyn: J. Biegeleisen, 1991. Softcover, 149 pages, facsims, 4to, 29 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Rabbinical literature -- Catalogs. Includes supplement: Reshimat ha-sefarim. Ha-mofiim bi-shene ha-katalogim on pages 1-3. Other Titles: Catalog of rare seforim. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Harvard). Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-16-3) (ID #24313) $30.00.
100. • G. P. Romer (Firm). JUDAICA & TRAVELS TO PALESTINE: A CLASSIFIED AND ANNOTATED CATALOGUE INCLUDING BIBLIOGRAPHY, DICTIONARIES, GRAMMARS, FOLKLORE, HISTORY AND LITERATURE, SPANISH - JUDAICA, ETC. Hertford, England; G. P. Romer, ?. No Date. Ca. 1950s? Paper wrappers, 33 pages. Rare Books Catalogue 58. Lists 148 titles. Includes index. Cover edgeworn, water damage to some pages. Good - condition. No copies listed on OCLC. (BIB-15-35) (ID #24108) $45.00.
101. • Parke-Bernet Galleries. JUDAICA: HEBREW MANUSCRIPTS AND BOOKS, RITUAL SILVER AND OTHER OBJECTS. PUBLIC AUCTION TUE, APR. 18, 1967. New York: Parke Bernet Galleries, Inc, 1967. Softcover, 65 pages, illustrated, 8vo, 24 cm. Series: Sale no. 2549; Variation: Parke-Bernet Galleries; Sale no. 2549. SUBJECT (S): Liturgical objects -- Judaism -- Catalogs. Jewish art and symbolism. Manuscripts, Hebrew. Hebrew imprints. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (American Sephardi Federation, YU, Penn). Sunning to cover edges and spine. Small writing on front cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-9-14) (ID #23969) $30.00.
102. • Sänger & Friedberg. ANTIQUARIATS-KATALOG NR. 23: HEBRAICA UND JUDAICA. Frankfurt A. M: Sänger & Friedberg, 1914. Original paper wrappers bound in boards, 8vo, 49 pages. In German. SUBJECT (S): Jewish literature -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. Jews -- Germany -- Bibliography. Serial. On cover: "Specialbuchhandlung fur judische Literatur". Lists 1064 titles. OCLC lists only 1 copy worldwide (Nat. Library of Israel) Excellent condition. (BIB-15-32) (ID #24105) $75.00.
103. • Sotheby Parke Bernet & Co. IMPORTANT HEBREW BOOKS.PUBLIC AUCTION MAY 30, 1972. New York: Sotheby Parke Bernet, 1972. Softcover, 48 pages, illustrated, facsims, 8vo, 25 cm. SUBJECT (S): Printing, Hebrew -- Catalogs. Hebrew literature -- Catalogs. Manuscripts, Hebrew. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Underlining and marks throughout book. Light wear. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-1) (ID #24311) $30.00.
104. • Sotheby Parke Bernet Inc. JUDAICA: SILVER, PEWTER, BRASS & OTHER RITUAL OBJECTS. 1966. Softcover, 49 pages, illustrated, 8vo. SUBJECT (S): Michael Kaufman. Place of sale: New York. Torah crowns and finials, breastplates, pointers, spice, Ethrog & alms boxes, Kiddush, Passover and other goblets, plates & trays, Hanukkah and Sabbath lights, amulets, Shofars, marriage contracts, manuscripts, Megillah scrolls, ceremonial textiles. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-9-16) (ID #23971) $30.00.
105. • Southeby's. IMPORTANT HEBREW BOOKS FROM THE LIBRARY OF THE LATE SALMAN SCHOCKEN MONDAY 6TH DECEMBER 1993 AT 2: 30 PM. New York: Southeby Parke Bernet, 1993. Paper; large 8vo. 101 pages. Illustrated in black and white, including a portrait of Schocken. 268 objects listed and described. Index and bibliography. Sale 93693. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew imprints -- Catalogs. OCLC lists four copies worldwide (Florida, NY Public Library, Yeshiva, UPenn). Wear to corners of cover. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-9-23) (ID #23829) $25.00.
106. • Zagayski, Michael. JUDAICA: SILVER, BRASS, COPPER, PEWTER & OTHER RITUAL OBJECTS. VARIOUS OWNERS, INCLUDING ESTATE OF THE LATE MICHAEL ZAGAYSKI: PUBLIC AUCTION, WEDNESDAY MARCH 13. PARKE-BERNET GALLERIES. New York: The Galleries, 1968. Softcover, 87 pages, illustrated, 8vo. SUBJECT (S): Art, Jewish -- Catalogs. Ceremonial objects -- Catalogs. Silverwork -- Catalogs. "Sale number 2665" Cover title: Judaica: Torah crowns, Torah finials & other silver ritual objects. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Univ of Toronto). First 15 pages, small stain along edge of page. Lightly stained cover. Wear to binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-9-15) (ID #23970) $30.00.
107. • Aarts, Jan, F. J. Hoogewoud, C. Kooyman. VITA SINE LIBRIS MORS EST: JOODSE EXLIBRISCULTUUR IN NEDERLAND. Heemstede: Edujob, 2007. Softcover, 32 pages, illustrated, 8vo, 21 cm. In Dutch with English summary. SUBJECT (S): Jewish bookplates -- Netherlands -- Exhibitions. Bookplates -- Netherlands -- Exhibitions. Catalog of the exhibition held in Middelburg, Netherlands, May 14-June 23, 2007. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-11-5) (ID #24044) $30.00.
108. • Van Praag, Ph. JOODSE SYMBOLIEK OP NEDERLANDSE EXLIBRIS. Amsterdam, Gaillarde Pers [Press], 1988. Wrappers, Small 8vo, 64 pages. Beautiful illustrations of mostly Jewish Dutch Bookplates, some with holocaust themes. Includes 1-page bibliography (BIB-10-5) Fine Condition. (ID #6743) $25.00.
RABBINICS, MEDIEVAL, AND RELATED
109. • OTSAR IMRE AVOT: ENTSIKLOPEDYAH LE-TALMUDIM ULE-MIDRASHIM ULE-SIFRE RISHONIM. VOLS 1-4. Hardcover, 8vo, Jerusalem: R. Mas, [1959-1969]. 2 books. 432 pages each. Ex-library. Wear and chipping to edges of dust jacket. Fading to dust jacket. Light wear. Otherwise, good condition. (BIB-13-7) (ID #24102) $350.00.
110. • Hyman, Aaron. OTSAR DIVRE HAKHAMIM U-FITGAMEHEM: HU SEFER "BET VAAD LE-HAKHAMIM" BE-MILUIM UVE-TIKUNIM RABIM. Tel Aviv: Dvir, 1933. Hardcover, 4, 564 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. In Hebrew and Aramaic. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Quotations. Talmud - Quotations. Other Titles: Bet vaad la-hakhamim. OCLC lists 25 copies worldwide. Hinge repair. Notes inside front cover. Spine repair. Bumped corners and edges. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-19) (ID #24329) $65.00.
111. • Berkowitz, David Sandler. IN REMEMBRANCE OF CREATION: EVOLUTION OF ART AND SCHOLARSHIP IN THE MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE BIBLE. Waltham, Mass; Brandeis University Press, 1968. Hardback, 4to. Xviii, 141, 160 pages. Illustrated. First edition. White grain cloth leatherette, gilded and embossed cover and spine title. Printed on beautiful parchment-like paper. Many plates in black and white. Frontispiece illustration in color. SUBJECT (S): Manuscripts, Medieval – exhibitions; Manuscripts, Renaissance – exhibitions; Bible – photographies, illustrations, etc; Bible – bibliography – catalogs. SERIES: Publications of the Society of Bibliophiles at Brandeis University, no. 3; Variation: Brandeis University; Society of Bibliophiles; Publications ; no. 3. "Catalogue of an exhibition to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of Brandeis University held at the Rapaporte Treasure Hall, Brandeis University Library, May 4th through June 11th, 1968." Examines about 212 manuscripts and books pertaining to the Bible; including the Gutenberg Bible, the 1462 Fust & Schoeffer Bible, and The Eliot Bible, the first complete Bible printed in the Western hemisphere. Signed by author. Ex-library with usual markings. Wear to corners of cover and cover binding. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-9-21) (ID #23826) $30.00.
112. • Eisenstein, Judah David, 1854-1956. אוצר דינים ומנהגים: כל מצות עשה ולא תעשה מן התורה ומדרבנן וכל הדינים הנהוגים בישראל, מקורי ההלכות וטעמי המצות והמנהגים. OTSAR DINIM U-MINHAGIM: KOL MITSVOT AS´EH V? E-LO TAS´EH MIN HA-TORAH UMIDE-RABANAN VE-KHOL HA-DINIM HA-NEHUGIM BE-YIS´RAEL, MEKORE HA-HALAKHOT VE-TAAME HA-MITSVOT VEHA-MINHAGIM. New York: J. D. Eisenstein, 1917. Library binding, 4to, xvi, 466 pages: illustrations, facsimiles, maps. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Customs and practices. Commandments (Judaism) English title: A digest of Jewish laws and customs. No copies of the 1917 edition listed on OCLC. Some underlining and notes in ink throughout. Very good condition. (BIB-17-9) (ID #24342) $30.00.
112A. • Freedman, H. (Harry), ed. and tr. Simon, Maurice, b. 1874, joint ed. and tr. THE MIDRASH RABBAH (COMPLETE IN 5 VOLUMES). London : Soncino Press, 1977. Blue cloth with gilt lettering, 8vo., 13 volumes in 5. New Compact edition. In English. Contents: I. Genesis, translated by H. Freedman.--II. Exodus, translated by S.M. Lehrman. Leviticus, chapters I-XIX translated by J. Israelstam, chapters XX-XXXVII translated J.J. Slotki.--III. Numbers, translated by J.J. Slotki. Deuteronomy, translated by J. Rabinowitz.--IV. Lamentations, translated by A. Cohen. Ruth, translated by L. Rabinowitz. Ecclesiastes, translated by A. Cohen. Esther, translated by Maurice Simon. Songs of songs, translated by Maurice Simon.--V. Index volume, compiled by J.J. Slotki. Translated into English with notes, glossary and indices under the editorship of Rabbi Dr. H. Freedman [and] Maurice Simon ; foreword by Rabbi Dr. I. Epstein. In original sturdy blue slipcase with original decorated separators and original clear protective vinyl jackets. Blue ribbon bookmarks in each volume. Excellent condition. A very nice set. (BIB-22-2/lic) xx $225.00
113. • Freehof, Solomon B. THE RESPONSA LITERATURE. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society Of America, 1955. Cloth, 8vo. 304 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Responsa – history and criticism. CONTENTS: Origins and development of the responsa; The leading respondents; A selection of responsa; Widespread debates; History of the responsa; Modern inventions; Curious responsa; Prospective development of the responsa literature. “Freehof, [1892-1990] born in London, was taken to the United States in 1903 by his parents, who settled in Baltimore. He graduated from the University of Cincinnati and a year later was ordained at Hebrew Union College, whose faculty he then joined. After serving as a chaplain with the American forces in Europe during World War I, Freehof became professor of liturgy at Hebrew Union College. In 1924 he became rabbi of Congregation Kehillath Anshe Maarav in Chicago, and in 1934 he was appointed rabbi of Congregation Rodef Shalom in Pittsburgh. He remained at Rodef Shalom until his retirement in 1966. Freehof's scholarly endeavors were largely in two fields. The first was Jewish liturgy. In 1930 he was appointed chairman of the Reform Committee on Liturgy of the Central Conference of American Rabbis, whose work led to the publication of the two-volume Union Prayer Book and the Union Home Prayer Book, both of which stressed relevance to modern life and the inclusion of contemporary material in the service. He served as President of the CCAR from 1943 to 1945. His second main interest was the development of Jewish law as displayed in the literature of the responsa and its bearing on modern Jewish practice. He was appointed head of the Responsa Committee of the Central Conference of American Rabbis in 1955.” (EJ, 2007) Has dust jacket with tear on front. Very good condition. (MX-23-2) (ID #24056) $30.00.
114. • Golinkin, David. AN INDEX OF CONSERVATIVE RESPONSA AND PRACTICAL HALAKHIC STUDIES, 1917-1990. [New York?]: Rabbinical Assembly, Paper wrappers, 80 pages. SUBJECT(S): Responsa -- 1800- -- Indexes. Conservative Judaism -- United States -- Customs and practices -- Indexes. Includes bibliographical references (p. 6-8). Very good + condition. (BIB-21-1) (ID #24454) $40.00.
115. • Grayzel, Solomon. REFERENCES TO THE JEWS IN THE CORRESPONDENCE OF JOHN XXII. Cincinnati: Hebrew Union College, 1950-51. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 44 pages. Offprint from The Hebrew Union College Annual, Vol. XXIII, Pt 2, Cincinnati, 1950-1951, Seventy-fifth Anniversary Publication. Cover sunned; otherwise, very good condition. (MX-33-3) (ID #15140) $20.00.
116. • Narkiss, Bezalel. HEBREW ILLUMINATED MANUSCRIPTS. Jerusalem [New York]: Encyclopedia Judaica, Macmillan, 1969. First edition. Cloth; large 4to. 175 pages. Beautifully bound in beige cloth with deep red endpapers. Ornate pictorial dust jacket. Illustrated with 60 tipped-in plates. Foreword by Cecil Roth. Notes, glossary, bibliography, and index. "First of a series of publications in various spheres of Judaica which the publishers are issuing in advance of the Encyclopaedia Judaica. " A survey of Hebrew illuminated manuscripts from the earliest period [10th century] through the Renaissance in the Orient, Spain, France, Italy and Germany. Shunami 5845. SUBJECT (S) Illumination of books and manuscripts, Jewish -- Catalogs. Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval -- Catalogs. Bible. O. T. -- Illustrations. Upper right-hand corner of book is bumped, resulting in a crease at the corner of all pages, and there is a small dent on bottom edge of cover. Outer glassine layer of dust jacket is peeling badly and top edge of jacket is torn and curled as often found, with a non-archival repair. Very good condition in defective dust jacket. (CT-7/bib-9-1) (ID #14851/23819) $60.00.
117. • Rabbi Yisrael Herczeg. SAPIRSTEIN EDITION RASHI: THE TORAH WITH RASHI'S COMMENTARY TRANSLATED, ANNOTATED AND ELUCIDATED, VOLS. 1-5 [BOX SET, FULL SIZE]: GENESIS, EXODUS, LEVITICUS, NUMBERS, DEUTERONOMY. Artscroll/Mesorah, 1998-12. Hardcover, 7.5 x 10.75 x 7 inches. Boxed set in slipcase. New Condition. (LIC) (ID #24308) $100.00.
118. • Rescher, Nicholas. AL-FARABI: AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY. [Pittsburgh]: University Of Pittsburgh Press, 1962. Cloth, 8vo, 54 pages. Abū Nar al-Fārābi (أبو نصر محمد الفارابي - Abū Nar Muammad al-Fārābi; in some sources also mentioned as محمد بن محمد بن أوزلغ الفارابي - Muammad ibn Muammad (ibn Tarān) ibn Awzlaġ al-Fārābi), known in the West as Alpharabius (c. 872 - between 14 December 950 and 12 January 951), was a Khorasani polymath and one of the greatest scientists and philosophers of Persia and the Islamic world in his time. He was also a cosmologist, logician, musician, psychologist and sociologist. SUBJECT(S): Farabi -- Bibliography. Staining to first and last few pages. Spine slightly faded. Otherwise good condition in good jacket. (BIB-10-1) (ID #23984) $30.00.
119. • Steinschneider, Moritz. ALLGEMEINE EINLEITUNG IN DIE JUDISCHE LITERATUR DES MITTELALTERS. Jerusalem, Bamberger & Wahrmann, 1938. Hardcover, 148 pages, 8vo, 24 cm. In German. SUBJECT (S): Jewish literature -- History and criticism. Jewish literature -- Bibliography. "Literatur, Quellen" on pages 112-143. Ex-library. Wear to binding, cover binding and edges. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-9-12) (ID #23967) $35.00.
SONCINO GESELLSCHAFT IMPRINTS
120. • Gabriel Jacques Von Rosenberg; Soncino-Gesellschaft Der Freunde Des Judischen Buches. DER HOFRAT ERZAHLT JUDISCHE GESCHICHTEN. Berlin: Soncino-Gesellschaft, 1930. Paper wrappers, 8vo, 14 pages. In German. The Soncino Gesellschaft "was a Jewish bibliophile society, founded in Berlin in 1924, and liquidated by order of the Nazi government of Prussia in 1937. The Society aimed at the typographic improvement of the Jewish and Hebrew book; 15 regular publications were primarily intended to introduce to the Jewish book-world suitable models to be imitated by the commercial producers. The Society, therefore, commissioned all the different types of literary products likely to appear in print, such as scholarly works and periodicals, novels, short stories, plays, texts illustrated by modern artists, and reprints of interesting rare books. The texts were chosen from Jewish literature of all periods and languages. Leading master-printers selected the printing type, size, and paper of each individual publication in order to design an external appearance in accordance with its contents" (Meyer, EJ, 2007). SUBJECTS(S): Legends, Jewish. Very good condition. (BIB-7-6) (ID #23933) $55.00.
121. • Herrmann Meyer; Franz Rosenzweig; Erich Scholem; Reinhold Scholem. FRANZ ROSENZWEIG: EIN BUCH DES GEDENKENS. Berlin: Soncino-Gesellschaft, 1930. Half cloth, 4to, 56 pages. In German. Limited edition of 800 copies. The Soncino Gesellschaft "was a Jewish bibliophile society, founded in Berlin in 1924, and liquidated by order of the Nazi government of Prussia in 1937. The Society aimed at the typographic improvement of the Jewish and Hebrew book; 15 regular publications were primarily intended to introduce to the Jewish book-world suitable models to be imitated by the commercial producers. The Society, therefore, commissioned all the different types of literary products likely to appear in print, such as scholarly works and periodicals, novels, short stories, plays, texts illustrated by modern artists, and reprints of interesting rare books. The texts were chosen from Jewish literature of all periods and languages. Leading master-printers selected the printing type, size, and paper of each individual publication in order to design an external appearance in accordance with its contents. " (Meyer, EJ, 2007) Wear to spine, Spine and covers slightly sunned, corners bumped. Otherwise very good condition. (BIB-7-10) (ID #23940) $120.00.
122. • Lessing, Gotthold Ephraim (1729-1781). DIE JUDEN: EIN LUSTSPIEL IN EINEM AUFZUGE. Berlin:soncino-Gesellschaft, 1929. Half cloth, 4to, 57 pages. In German. Limited edition of 200 copies, published by the Jewish bibliophile society, Soncino-Gesellschaft. Lessing was a "German dramatist, philosopher, and critic. One of the outstanding representatives of the Enlightenment in Germany, Lessing was devoted to the principle of toleration. One of Lessing's earliest literary ventures was "Die Juden" (1749), a one-act comedy in which for the first time a Jew was presented on the German stage in a reasonably objective manner. He became a friend and admirer of Moses Mendelssohn, whom he encouraged to publish his first philosophical work.Their correspondence, mainly on philosophical themes, continued until Lessing's death.However, Lessing's attitude toward Judaism was ambivalent. While never forsaking the principle of tolerance, he came to depreciate Judaism in relation to Christianity with his publication of Fragmente eines Ungenannten (1774-78), the posthumous writings of the ultra-rationalist theologian H. M. Reimarus.This attitude also appeared in Nathan der Weise, in which the brother representing Christianity accuses the Jewish religion of having given birth to intolerance through the concept of a chosen people. " (Graetz, EJ, 2007) Very good condition. (BIB-7-9) (ID #23939) $50.00.
123. • Moses Maimonides; Marcus Herz (?). DES MOSES MAIMONIDES MORGENGEBET BEVOR ER SEINE KRANKEN BESUCHTE. Berlin: Soncino-Gesellschaft, 1931. Paper wrappers, 8 pages, 4to. In German. The Soncino Gesellschaft "was a Jewish bibliophile society, founded in Berlin in 1924, and liquidated by order of the Nazi government of Prussia in 1937. The Society aimed at the typographic improvement of the Jewish and Hebrew book; 15 regular publications were primarily intended to introduce to the Jewish book-world suitable models to be imitated by the commercial producers. The Society, therefore, commissioned all the different types of literary products likely to appear in print, such as scholarly works and periodicals, novels, short stories, plays, texts illustrated by modern artists, and reprints of interesting rare books. The texts were chosen from Jewish literature of all periods and languages. Leading master-printers selected the printing type, size, and paper of each individual publication in order to design an external appearance in accordance with its contents. " (Meyer, EJ, 2007) The National Library of Israel attributes the translation to Marcus Herz. SUBJECT(S): Prayers. Reprint from: Deutsches Museum--Leipzig, 1783. Slight wear to cover, institutional stamp and pencil markings on title page. (BIB-7-3) (ID #23930) $60.00.
124. • Osmund, Emanuel; Jean Paul. BRIEFE UBER DEN TALMUD. Berlin: Soncino-Gesellschaft, 1931. Paper wrappers, 8vo, 22 pages. In German. One of 400 copies. The Soncino Gesellschaft "was a Jewish bibliophile society, founded in Berlin in 1924, and liquidated by order of the Nazi government of Prussia in 1937. The Society aimed at the typographic improvement of the Jewish and Hebrew book; 15 regular publications were primarily intended to introduce to the Jewish book-world suitable models to be imitated by the commercial producers. The Society, therefore, commissioned all the different types of literary products likely to appear in print, such as scholarly works and periodicals, novels, short stories, plays, texts illustrated by modern artists, and reprints of interesting rare books. The texts were chosen from Jewish literature of all periods and languages. Leading master-printers selected the printing type, size, and paper of each individual publication in order to design an external appearance in accordance with its contents. " (Meyer, EJ, 2007) Very good condition. (BIB-7-18) (ID #23948) $70.00.
125. • Wallich, Moses. Translated by Ruben Beatus. Mit einem vorwort von Prof. Dr. Aron Freimann. DIE FABELN DES KUHBUCHES IN ÜBERTRAGUNG. Hardcover, 8vo, Berlin [Leipzig], Druck der offizin W. Drugulin], 1926.Hardbound, large 8vo, xvi, 97, 108 pages. 30 cm. "Übertragung von dr. R. Beatus." Published with a facsimile reproduction (Berlin, 1924) of an edition of the author's SEFER MESHOLIM, issued in Frankfurt am Main, 1697, and loaded with period woodcuts from the fables. This book was issued by the Soncino Gesellschaft der Freunde des jüdischen Buches, "a society of book-lovers founded in Berlin in 1924.[and] limited to 800 members.Its productions, distinguished by their elegance of format and their pleasing new type-faces, were issued exclusively for private circulation and included, beisdes regular volumes, a bibliographical journal and periodical bulletins [called] Soncino Blaetter.The rise of the Nazi regime in Germany forced the society into liquidation in 1934." (Universal Jewish Ency, 1943, 9: 647). This title is quite scarce, even more so than other Soncino Gesellschaft editions which were limted to runs of 800 copies, so, presumably, fewer than that number were issued of this work (or, at least, no more than that). Flyer for upcoming title from the Gesellschaft laid in. Subjects: Fables, Hebrew -- Translations into German. Other titles: Kuhbuch. (BIB-7-35) Spine chipped at top and bottom as often found. Hinges just a bit shaken, gilt design flaked from front (again, as often found), but a good, clean, attractive copy overall. (ID #10442) $400.00.
126. • Weil, Dr. Gotthold. AUS EINEM BRIEFE JOHN LOCKES. Berlin: Soncino-Gesellschaft, ?. 1920s. Paper wrappers, 4to, From series "Sonderdruck aus den Soncino-Blattern" (p. 199-208). In German and Hebrew. Illustrated. Gotthold was an "Orientalist. Born in Berlin, Weil began his academic career at the Berlin State Library in 1906, and in 1918 became director of its Oriental department, which he had founded. Teaching post-biblical Jewish history and literature at Berlin University from 1912, he was appointed professor in 1920. In 1931 he was appointed professor of Semitic languages at the University of Frankfurt, in succession to Josef Horovitz. Weil was dismissed by the Nazis with the rest of his Jewish colleagues in 1934. From 1935 to 1946 he was head of the National and University Library in Jerusalem and also held the chair of Turkish studies at The Hebrew University (to 1952). Weil's main field was Arabic studies, but he had wider Jewish interests as well and was on the board of various Jewish cultural institutions in Germany, and a governor of The Hebrew University. World War I directed his interest to Turkish studies.In 1953 he published Maimonides Responsum ueber die Lebensdauer (text with German translation). On the occasion of his 70th birthday a Festschrift was issued by the Institute for Oriental Studies of The Hebrew University. " (Kopf, EJ, 2007). Covers chipped and sunned. Otherwise good condition. (BIB-7-14) (ID #23944) $60.00.
127. • WHO'S WHO IN AMERICAN JEWRY: 1928. New York: Jewish Biographical Bureau, 1928. Cloth, Black cloth, 8vo. 781 pages. SUBJECT (S): Jews – United States – biography – periodicals; Jews – Canada – periodicals; Jews – biography – periodicals. Pages slightly sunned, previous owners name written in ink on flyleaf. Very good condition. (BIB-21-7) (ID #24452) $60.00.
128. • Angoff, Charles. THE CONCEPT OF FREEDOM AS REFLECTED IN AMERICAN JEWISH LITERATURE. Philadelphia: Gratz College, 1975. Softcover, 15 pages, 8vo, 23 cm. Series: Annual Sol Feinstone lecture; 1974; Variation: Annual Sol Feinstone memorial lecture; 1974. SUBJECT (S): Liberty in literature. Jewish literature -- United States -- History and criticism. Cover title. Lecture for 1974 was delivered on Jan. 19, 1975. OCLC lists 9 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (BIB-15-16) (ID #24285) $35.00.
129. • Bloch, Joshua, compiler. THE PEOPLE AND THE BOOK: THE BACKGROUND OF THREE HUNDRED YEARS OF JEWISH LIFE IN AMERICA. New York: New York Public Library, 1954. Cloth; large 8vo. 134 pages. Quarter red cloth with gold lettering, decorative paper covered boards, indices. Twenty-six black-and-white illustrations. Preface by Louis M. Rabinowitz. Introduction by Joshua Bloch. "A tricentennial exhibition at the New York Public Library, sponsored by the Louis M. Rabinowitz Foundation, October-December, 1954." Includes bibliographical references (p. 11-12). Subject(s): Jews -- History -- Bibliography -- Exhibitions. Jews -- United States -- Bibliography -- Exhibitions. Ex-library. Salo Barons’ copy. Hinge repair. Bumped corners and edges of cover and spine. Wear to cover binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-9-27) (ID #23831) $55.00.
130. • Goldstein, Fanny. SUGGESTIVE MATERIAL FOR THE OBSERVANCE OF JEWISH BOOK WEEK, MAY 15-22, 1938. Boston, Boston Public Library, 1938. Soft, 32 leaves, 4to stapled, 28 cm. Really, this text is not all that suggestive. But still interesting. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Bibliography. Jews -- Biography. Reproduction of typewritten copy. Includes bibliographical references. Other Titles: Jewish book week. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Columbia, Hebrew Union). Stained pages. Wear to edges. Last page detached. Small tear to corner of cover, no text loss. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-15-27) (ID #24296) $30.00.
131. • Goldstein, Fanny and Israel Goldstein. NATIONAL JEWISH BOOK WEEK RADIO BROADCAST, THURSDAY, DECEMBER 26, 1940, 4: 15-4: 30 PM, STATION WBZ & WBZA. Boston, 1940. Soft, 5 leaves, 4to stapled. Mimeographed. Introductory and concluding remarks by the announcer and addressed by Miss Fanny Goldstein and Dr. Israel Goldstein. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Yale). Stained pages. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-15-25) (ID #24294) $30.00.
132. • Goldstein, Larry. AMERICAN JEWISH ORGANIZATIONS DIRECTORY. New York: Frenkel, 1974. Spiral, 8vo. 181 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Societies, etc. -- Directories. Very Good Condition. (AMR31-9) (ID #23798) $35.00.
133. • Harvard University Library. AMERICAN JEWISH EPHEMERA: A BICENTENNIAL EXHIBITION FROM THE JUDAICA COLLECTION OF THE HARVARD COLLEGE LIBRARY. Paperback, 8vo, Cambridge, The Library, 1977. Paperback, 8vo, 176 pages. Loaded with illustrations & facsimiles. 23 cm. "Introductory lecture, Impressions of Jewish daily life in the past one hundred years by Oscar Handlin ; catalogue of the exhibition by Charles Berlin." Very Good Condition. Subject: Harvard University. Library. Subject: Jews -- United States -- Politics and government -- Exhibitions. American Revolution Bicentennial, 1776-1976 -- Massachusetts -- Cambridge. Subject: United States -- Politics and government -- Exhibitions. OCLC lists 14 copies worldwide. Very Good Condition. (BIB-9-8) (ID #23824) $30.00.
134. • Kanof, Abram and Tom L. Freudenheim. THE AMERICAN JEW IN THE VISUAL ART OF AMERICA. New York, N. Y: American Jewish Historical Society, 1966. Softcover, 14 pages, 8vo, 22 cm. Contents: A selected bibliography by Abram Kanof -- How to organize a local Jewish museum by Abram Kanof and Tom L. Freudenheim. SUBJECT (S): Art, Jewish -- United States -- Bibliography. Jewish museums. Cover title. OCLC lists 5 copies worldwide. Ex-library. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-13-13) (ID #24125) $30.00.
135. • Kennett, White and Frederick Richmond Goff. THE PRIMORDIA OF BISHOP WHITE KENNETT, THE FIRST ENGLISH BIBLIOGRAPHY ON AMERICA. Washington, Pan American Union, 1959. Softcover, xliv, xvi, 275, 224 pages, 4to, 28 cm. Some material on Jews. SUBJECT (S): Rare books -- Bibliography -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800. Bibliografía -- Libros raros. Livres rares -- Bibliographie. Geographic: America -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. Amerique -- Bibliographie -- Catalogues. Other Titles: Bibliothecae Americanae primordia. Hinge repair. Wear to edges and corners of cover. Wear and crease mark on cover spine. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-15-19) (ID #24288) $30.00.
136. • Marcus, Jacob Rader. A BRIEF BIBLIOGRAPHY OF AMERICAN JEWISH HISTORY. New York, American Jewish Tercentenary Committee, Et Al, 1st Edition Thus. Paper Wrappers, Very Good Condition; Tall 12mo, 9 pages; 11 x 23 cm. Published jointly by American Jewish Tercentenary Committee and Jewish Book Council of America ; sponsored by National Jewish Welfare Board, 1950. Originally appeared in the Jewish book annual, 1943-44. Wear to edges and corners. Sunning to binding. Very good condition. (BIB-9-5) (ID #23822) $30.00.
138. • Marcus, Jacob Rader, Ed. JEWISH AMERICANA: A CATALOGUE OF BOOKS AND ARTICLES BY JEWS OR RELATING TO THEM PRINTED IN THE UNITED STATES FROM THE EARLIEST DAYS TO 1850 AND FOUND IN THE LIBRARY OF THE HEBREW UNION COLLEGE-JEWISH INSTITUTE OF RELIGION IN CINCINNATI. Cincinnati, American Jewish Archives, 1954. Paper wrappers, 115 pages. "A supplement to A. S. W. Rosenbach: An American Jewish bibliography." Staining to back cover. Light staining to front cover. Wear to edges of cover and binding. Light wear. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-9-3/8-2) (ID #23820/24073) $30.00. xx
139. • National Conference Of Jewish Social Welfare (U. S.). DIRECTORY OF CONSTITUENT SOCIEIES NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF JEWISH SOCIAL WELFARE, MAY 1936. New York: National Conference Of Jewish Social Welfare, 1937. Softcover, 15 pages, long, skinny 8vo, 24 cm. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Social conditions. Jews -- Charities -- Directories. Jews -- Societies, etc. -- Directories. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (NYPL). Notes on front cover. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-15-20) (ID #24289) $35.00.
140. • Shapiro, Max Andrew. AN HISTORICAL ANALYSIS AND EVALUATION OF JEWISH RELIGIOUS TEXTBOOKS PUBLISHED IN THE UNITED STATES, 1817-1903. Ann Arbor, Mich: University Microfilms, 1960. Softcover, 257 pages, 8vo. SUBJECT (S): Textbooks. Includes list of "Jewish religious school textbooks published in the United States, 1817-1903" on pages 251-257. Includes bibliographical references, pages 240-250). OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Ohio State, Bar Ilan). Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-13-1) (ID #24115) $100.00.
141. • Solis-Cohen, Elfrida C. AMERICAN JEWISH YEAR BOOK: INDEX TO VOLUMES 1-50, 1899-1949 (5660-5709). New York: KTAV Pub. House, 1967. Cloth, 8vo, 375 pages. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- United States -- Periodicals. Ex-library with light tape residue on spine. Very good condition. (BIB-12-4) (ID #24256) $50.00.
142. • Trinity College (Hartford, Conn.). THE ORDER OF SERVICE IN COMMEMORATION OF THE 500TH ANNIVERSARY OF PRINTING HELD IN THE CHAPEL OF TRINITY COLLEGE, HARTFORD, NOVEMBER 3, 1940. [Hartford, Conn: Trinity College, 1940. Booklet,  p: facsimiles. Highlight included a reading from an original copy of the Bay Psalm Book, the first book published in America (which contains some Hebrew type, and is thus the first instance of Hebrew printing in America), in 1640, just 20 years after the arrival of the Pilgrims. SUBJECT(S): Printing -- History -- Celebrations of invention. Ex-library with institutional stamp. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide (Harvard, NYPL, Dartmouth, and Trinity College). Small tears and chips to cover and pages, corners of pages chipped. Some staining to covers. Good - condition. (BIB-12-10) (ID #24262) $50.00.
143. • Wolf, Edwin. SOME UNRECORDED AMERICAN JUDAICA PRINTED BEFORE 1851. Cincinnati, 1958. Softcover, pages 187-245 (i. E. 59 pages). 25 cm. "Offprint from Essays in American Jewish History. " Inscribed by the author. "With the compliments of the author." SUBJECT(S): Jews -- United States -- Bibliography. Jewish literature -- Bibliography. OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide. Small chippings to edges of cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-13-17) (ID #24129) $30.00.
144. • Kaufmann, Fritz Mordechai. VIER ESSAIS ÜBER OSTJÜDISCHE DICHTUNG UND KULTUR. Berlin: Welt-Verlag, 1919. Hardcover, 12mo. 63 pages. In German. SUBJECT (S): Yiddish literature – history and criticism; Folk songs, Yiddish, history and criticism. OCLC lists 29 copies worldwide. Though he studied medicine, Kaufmann (1888-1921) was a writer and proponent of Yiddish culture. After joining a Zionist group in Leipzig, he took great interest in Yiddish literature and culture, and became acquainted with Nathan Birnbaum. Like Brinbaum, he was not a Zionist, though put great stock in the unity of the Jewish people and the preservation of Jewish culture, particularly in Eastern Europe, where there was less integration. After WWI, during which he served as an officer, Kaufmann wrote many essays and articles, but his life ended prematurely, when he committed suicide in 1921. (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Backstrip missing, pages tanned, good- condition. (GER-29-21) (ID #20396) $30.00.
145. • Bass, Hyman B. THE FIRST YIDDISH LANGUAGE CONFERENCE (1908). New York, N. Y: The Congress For Jewish Culture, Inc, 1982. Paperbound, 9 leaves, 4to stapled, 28 cm. Series: The world of Yiddish. SUBJECT (S): Yiddish language -- Congresses. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Brandeis, Hebrew Union). Light wear. Fold marks. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-15-23) (ID #24292) $30.00.
146. • Dulzin, A. L. (Arieh L). DRAY HUNDERT YOR YIDISHE PRESEVEZN IN DER VELT, 1675-1975. Yerushalayim: Tsienistishe velt organizatsye, Departament far organizatsye un oyfklerung, 1975. Paper Wrappers, 4to, 85 pages. 27 cm. In Yiddish. SUBJECT (S): Jewish periodicals -- History and criticism. Jewish newspapers -- History and criticism. OCLC lists 11 copies worldwide. (CT-12) Very Good Condition. (ID #15094) $100.00.
147. • Flinker, Dovid; Mordecai Tsanin; Sholom Rosenfeld. DI YIDDISHE PRESSE VOS IZ GEVEN. Tel-Aviv: Veltfarband Fun Di Yiddishe Zhurnalistn, 1975. Cloth, oblong 4to, 688 pages. In Yiddish. Illustrated with photographs, and facsimiles throughout. An extensive history of the Yiddish press throughout Europe. Includes profiles of editors and essays on the periodicals and publications. Very good + condition. Slipcase in good condition. (BIB-7-20) (ID #23950) $125.00.
148. • Levine, S. D. יאר פארװערטס: די ראל פון פארװערטס אין דעם אידישן לעבן: פאקטן, פאטאסטאטן און ציטאטן. 50 50 YOR FORVERTS: DI ROL FUN "FORVERTS" IN DEM IDISHN LEBN: FAKTN, FOTOSTATN UN TSITATN. Nyu York?: [Morgn Freyheyt], 1948. Paper wrappers, 16mo, 63 pages: illustrated. In Yiddish. 50 Years of the Yiddish Forward: The role of "Forverts" in Yiddish Life - Facts, Facsimiles, and Statistics. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- United States -- Periodicals. New York (N. Y.) -- Newspapers. Includes a history of the founding of the Forward, major events covered by the Forward, and facsimiles of portions of the original articles. Very good condition. (BIB-12-14) (ID #24266) $40.00.
149. • ANNE FRANK HOUSE: A MUSEUM WITH A STORY. Amsterdam: Anne Frank House, 1990s?. Paper wrappers, 12mo. 16 pages. Illustrated guide book from the museum tour. SUBJECT (S): Antisemitism – Germany – museum; National socialism; Anne Frank Museum; Frank family; Frank, Anne, 1929-1945 – museum. OCLC lists no copies worldwide. Very good condition. (HOLO2-8-4) (ID #20814) $30.00.
150. • OP DE RAND VAN DE AFGROND. `AL TEHOMOT: CATALOGUS VAN HEBRAICA EN JUDAICA ONDER DUITSE BEZETTING IN NEDERLAND VERSCHENEN. Amsterdam: Universiteitsbibliotheek, 1980. Softcover, 64 pages, 8vo, 22 cm. In Dutch. Bibliography of Hebraica & Judaica published in Holland under the German Occupation. Important work. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew literature -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. Jewish literature -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. Tweede Wereldoorlog. Joden. Drukwerk. Other Titles: Al tehomot. Light wear. Light staining to back cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-11-4) (ID #24043) $100.00.
151. • Aronsfeld, Caesar C. THE TEXT OF THE HOLOCAUST: A STUDY OF THE NAZIS' EXTERMINATION PROPAGANDA, 1919-1945. Marblehead, Mass: Micah Publications, 1985. Paperback, 8vo. Vii, 126 pages. SUBJECT (S): Antisemitism – Germany; Propaganda, German; National socialism; Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) ; Germany – ethnic relations. ISBN: 916288188. Fine condition. (MX-23-1) (ID #24055) $30.00.
152. • David M. Szonyi, editor. THE HOLOCAUST. AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY AND RESOURCE GUIDE. Hoboken, N. J: Ktav Pub. House for the National Jewish Resource Center, 1985. Hardcover, large 8vo, 396 pages. SUBJECT (S): Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Bibliography. Name of prior owner written on inside cover, very good condition. (HOLO2-17-1A) (ID #23870) $30.00.
153. • Friedlander, Henry. ON THE HOLOCAUST; A CRITIQUE OF THE TREATMENT OF THE HOLOCAUST IN HISTORY TEXTBOOKS ACCOMPANIED BY AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY. New York Anti-Defamation League Of B'Nai B'Rith, 1973. Softcover, 31 pages, 8vo, 23 cm. SUBJECT (S): Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945). Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Bibliography. Jews -- Persecutions -- Germany -- Bibliography. Annotated bibliography on pages 11-30. Light wear. Writing on front cover. Very good condition. (BIB-13-19) (ID #24131) $30.00.
154. • Gutman, Israel, editor. ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE HOLOCAUST. 4-VOLUME BOXED SET. Jerusalem: Yad Vashem/Macmillan, 1990. Cloth, 4to. Probably the most important single reference on the Holocaust. A must for every scholar and collector. New Condition, with dust jackets, boxed set in slipcase. (LIC) (ID #24309) $225.00.
155. • Gutman, Israel, editor. ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE HOLOCAUST. 4-VOLUMES, COMPLETE. Jerusalem: Yad Vashem/Macmillan, 1990. Cloth, 4to. Probably the most important single reference on the Holocaust. A must for every scholar and collector. Ex-library with spine labels, book pockets, and institutional markings. Very good condition. (HOLO2-18-11) (ID #24310) $200.00.
156. • Israel. Misrad Ha-Hinukh Veha-Tarbut. רשימת כתבי-יד, ספרים, תעודות וחפצי אמנות, שנרכשו באירופה אחרי מלחמת העולם השניה על ידי משרד החינוך והתרבות. RESHIMAT KITVE YAD SEFARIM TEUDOT VE-HEFTSE OMANUT: SHE-NIRKHESHU BE-EROPAH AHARE MILHEMET HA-OLAM HA-SHENIYAH. Jerusalem: Misrad Ha-Hinukh Veha-Tarbut, 1960. Paper wrappers125 p: ill; 24 cm. In Hebrew with preface in Hebrew and English. Title on English title page: List of manuscripts, books, documents and art objects acquired in Europe after the second world war. SUBJECT(S): Manuscripts, Hebrew. Includes 16 pages of high quality black and white plates. Covers sunned. Very good condition. (BIB-21-4) (ID #24457) $95.00.
157. • Knoller, Rivka. THE ACTIVITIES OF RELIGIOUS ZIONIST YOUTH GROUPS IN EUROPE DURING THE HOLOCAUST, 1939-1945: A SUMMARIZED REVIEW OF LIMITED ARCHIVE SOURCES. Ramat-Gan: Bar-Ilan University, Arnold And Leona Finkler Institute Of Holocaust Research, Faculty Of Jewish Studies, 1993. Paperback, 4to. 102 pages. SUBJECT (S): Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) ; Religious Zionism - Europe - societies, etc; Jewish youth - Europe - societies, etc. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Good+ condition. (SPEC-7-18) (ID #24246) $95.00.
158. • Kowaiski, Isaac. A SECRET PRESS IN NAZI EUROPE: THE STORY OF A UNITED JEWISH PARTISAN ORGANIZATION. New York, Central Guide Publishers, 1969. Cloth, 8vo. 416 pages. Illustrated with historic SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Lithuania -- Vilnius. World War, 1939-1945 -- Jewish resistance. World War, 1939-1945 -- Underground literature. In (HOLO2-8-2) (ID #23681) $40.00.
159. • Parrish, Thomas and S. L. A. Marshall. THE SIMON AND SCHUSTER ENCYCLOPEDIA OF WORLD WAR II. New York: Simon And Schuster, 1978. Hardcover, 767 pages, illustrated, Folio, 29 cm. SUBJECT (S): World War, 1939-1945 -- Encyclopedias. Guerre mondiale, 1939-1945 -- Dictionnaires anglais. "A Cord Communications book. " Includes bibliographical references on pages 716-721, and index.In plastic. Very good condition. (BIB-13-6) (ID #24101) $30.00.
160. • Piekarz, Mendel. HA-SHOAH U-SEFIHEHA BA-SEFARIM HA-IVRIYIM SHE-YATSU LA-OR BA-SHANIM 1933-1972 BIBLIOGRAFIH (2 VOLUMES). Yerushalayim: Yad Vashem, 1974. Hardcover, 2 volumes, 11, 920, vii pages, 4to, 28 cm. In Hebrew. Series: Sidrah bibliyografit meshutefet; 13-14. Variation: Sidrah bibliyografit meshutefet; 13-14. SUBJECT (S): Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Bibliography. Hebrew literature, Modern -- Bibliography. Added title page: The Holocaust and its aftermath. Includes indexes. Other Titles: ha-Shoah u-sefiheha ba-sefarim ha-ivriyim she-yatsu la-or ba-shanim 1933-1972.; The Holocaust and its aftermath. Mr. Abraham Katsh's copy with bookplate. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-16-20) (ID #24330) $175.00.
161. • Porter, Jack Nusan. SEXUAL POLITICS IN THE THIRD REICH: THE PERSECUTION OF THE HOMOSEXUALS DURING THE HOLOCAUST: A BIBLIOGRAPHY AND INTRODUCTORY ESSAY. Newton, MA: Spencer Press, 1991. Bound xeroxed booklet, xiv, 21 leaves: ill. Maps ; 28 cm. SUBJECT (S) Gay men -- Germany -- Bibliography. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Bibliography. Male homosexuality -- Germany -- Bibliography. Geographic: Germany -- History -- 1933-1945 -- Bibliography. A supplement to a larger work of the same title co-authored by Porter, a sociologist, author, and Jewish activist. Very good condition. (BIB-21-5) (ID #24458) $50.00.
162. • Robinson, Jacob; Philip Friedman; Benzion Dinur; Salo W. Baron. GUIDE TO JEWISH HISTORY UNDER NAZI IMPACT. KTAV, 1973. Reprint. Cloth, 4to 11" - 13" tall, 4to. Xxxi, 425 pages. Reprint of 1960 edition. Has become the standard bibliography for works on the Holocaust up to 1960. SUBJECT (S): Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) – bibliography; Jews – Germany – history – 1933-1945 – bibliography. CONTENTS: The Jewish catastrophe in historical perspective. --Reference tools. --Research: institutions, methods, and techniques. --Documentation. SERIES: Yad Washem Martyrs' and Heroes Memorial Authority, Jerusalem. Yivo Institute for Jewish Research, New York. Joint documentary projects. Bibliographical series, no. 1; Variation: Yad va-shem, rashut ha-zikaron la-Shoah vela-gevurah; Mifalim meshutafim; Sidrah bibliyografit ; no. 1. An historian and lawyer, Robinson (1889-1977) was born in what is now Lithuania and graduated from the University of Warsaw law school. He helped establish a Hebrew school system after WWI, and in 1922 was admitted to the bar and elected to the young Lithuanian parliament. As the Nazis gathered power in Germany, Robinson put together a secret committee to protect Jewish rights, and used his position and connections to help German Jews emigrate to Lithuania. In 1940, he left Lithuania for New York, where he continued to work for European Jewry, establishing the Institute of Jewish Affairs, assisting the prosecution at the Nuremburg trials, helping the UN establish the Human rights Commission, and drafting Israel's Reparation Agreement with West Germany. (EJ, 2007) Excellent condition. (Holo2-11-17) (ID #21633) $50.00.
163. • Robinson, Jacob; Philip Friedman; Benzion Dinur; Salo W. Baron. GUIDE TO JEWISH HISTORY UNDER NAZI IMPACT. New York: Yivo, 1960. Cloth, 4to. Xxxi, 425 pages. First edition. Has become the standard bibliography for works on the Holocaust up to 1960. SUBJECT (S): Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) – bibliography; Jews – Germany – history – 1933-1945 – bibliography. CONTENTS: The Jewish catastrophe in historical perspective. --Reference tools. --Research: institutions, methods, and techniques. --Documentation. SERIES: Yad Washem Martyrs' and Heroes Memorial Authority, Jerusalem. Yivo Institute for Jewish Research, New York. Joint documentary projects. Bibliographical series, no. 1; Variation: Yad va-shem, rashut ha-zikaron la-Shoah vela-gevurah; Mifalim meshutafim; Sidrah bibliyografit ; no. 1. An historian and lawyer, Robinson (1889-1977) was born in what is now Lithuania and graduated from the University of Warsaw law school. He helped establish a Hebrew school system after WWI, and in 1922 was admitted to the bar and elected to the young Lithuanian parliament. As the Nazis gathered power in Germany, Robinson put together a secret committee to protect Jewish rights, and used his position and connections to help German Jews emigrate to Lithuania. In 1940, he left Lithuania for New York, where he continued to work for European Jewry, establishing the Institute of Jewish Affairs, assisting the prosecution at the Nuremburg trials, helping the UN establish the Human rights Commission, and drafting Israel's Reparation Agreement with West Germany. (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Front hinge starting, otherwise good condition. (k-Holo2-11-17) (ID #20868) $30.00.
164. • Roder, Werner. BIOGRAPHISCHES HANDBUCH DER DEUTSCHSPRACHIGEN EMIGRATION NACH 1933 1 POLITIK, WIRTSCHAFT, OFFENTLICHES LEBEN. Munchen Saur, 1980. Hardcover, LVIII, 875 pages, 4to. In German. Excellent resource! SUBJECT (S): Deutsches Sprachgebiet; Exil; Geschichte (1933-1945) ; Biographie; Deutsche; Exil; Geschichte (1933-1945) ; Biographie; Deutschland; Auswanderung; Geschichte (1933-1945) ; Biographie; Tschechoslowakei; Exil; Geschichte (1933-1945) ; Biographie; Osterreicher; Exil; Geschichte (1933-1945) ; Biographie; Deutschland; Auswanderung; Geschichte (1933-1945) ; Worterbuch; Drittes Reich; Exil. OCLC lists 15 copies worldwide. Wear to edges and corners of dust jacket. Small tear to right side of front dust jacket. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-11-13) (ID #24051) $160.00.
164A. • (Rome) Debenedetti, Giacomo, 1901-1967. Gilson, Estelle. OCTOBER 16, 1943 ; EIGHT JEWS. With a 9 page essay by Estelle Gilson on the fate of the Roman Jewish Community Library. Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame Press, 2001.Cloth, 8vo., viii, 100 pages. In English, translated from the Italian. (Original title: 16 ottobre 1943. Otto ebrei) With a 9 page essay by Estelle Gilson on the fate of the Roman Jewish Community Library, which was one of Italy’s "richest Jewish library in terms of rare and unique items", seized by the Nazis before the roundup of the Roman Jews. Illustrated with the book stamps from the library. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- Persecutions -- Italy -- Rome. Ardeatine Caves Massacre, Rome, Italy, 1944 -- Personal narratives. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Italy -- Rome -- Personal narratives. Rome (Italy) -- Ethnic relations. Very good + condition in Very God + jacket. Like new. (BIB22-1) $30.00
165. • A LIST OF PUBLICATIONS IN HUMANITIES, LAW, SCIENCE, AND AGRICULTURE, 1946 - 1952, BY MEMBERS OF THE ACADEMIC STAFF. Jerusalem: The Hebrew University Of Jerusalem, 1953. Paper wrappers, 16mo, 190 pages. In Hebrew and English. List of scholarly writings by members of the Hebrew University. Edges worn and corner creased, otherwise very good condition. (BIB-7-31) (ID #23959) $30.00.
166. • Cohen, Hayim J, Yehuda, Zvi, Joint Ed. יהודי אסיה ואפריקה במזרח התיכון, 1971־1860: ביבליוגראפיה מוערת. YEHUDE ASYAH VE-AFRIKAH BA-MIZRAH HA-TIKHON, 1800-1971: BIBLIYOGRAFYAH MU'ERET. Yerushalayim: Makhon Ben-Tsevi Shel Yad Ben-Tsevi, 1976. Cloth, 4to. 19, 453, xxvii pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Jews, Oriental -- Israel -- Bibliography. Jews -- Middle East -- Bibliography. Israel -- Bibliography. Middle East -- Bibliography. English title: Asian and African Jews in the Middle East, 1800-1971. Includes indexes. Very good + condition. (BIB-8-8) (ID #24077) $100.00.
167. • Hebrew University). WHERE BOOKS ARE A FORCE FOR INTERNATIONAL GOODWILL. New York: American Friends Of The Hebrew University, . Pamphlet,  pages. An overview and brief history of the Jewish National and University Library at Hebrew University, including its beginnings in 1892, expansion, and the state of the library in 1947, the time of the printing of the pamphlet. At that point, the library had attained half a million books, with 120,000 volumes of Hebraica. Very good condition. (BIB-18-7) (ID #24355) $30.00.
168. • Herzog, Hanna. Foreword by Sidney Verba. CONTEST OF SYMBOLS: THE SOCIOLOGY OF ELECTION CAMPAIGNS THROUGH ISRAELI EPHEMERA. Paperback, 4to, Cambridge, Harvard University Library, 1987. Paperback, 4to, iv, 192 pages, loaded with reproductions of posters, pamphlets, advertisements, etc. 28 cm. Contains illustrations from the Judaica Collection of the Harvard College Library from election campaigns for the 9th, 10th, and 11th Knessets in Israel, 1977-1984. Includes index. Bibliography on pages 183-187. Includes the following Chapters: "Facing the People: Election Campaign Ephemera as Objects of Study", "Communicating Symbols: Patterns and Techniques in Election Campaign Ephemera", "Reconstruction of Election Campaigns through Ephemera", "Why Study Campaign Electioneering?", and "Conclusion. Political Ephemera: The Arena for Contested Symbols". References, Appendix and Index to illustrations at the End. Also includes communication symbols, the letter style, color, posters, and propaganda. Subject: Israel. Keneset -- Elections, 1984. Harvard College Library. Judaica Collection. Subject: Political campaigns -- Israel. Elections -- Israel. Campaign paraphernalia -- Israel. Subject: Israel -- Politics and government. OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. (BIB-12-17) (ID #12804) $30.00.
169. • Holtzman, Irwin T. A CHECK LIST OF ISRAELI LITERATURE, 1948-1998, IN ENGLISH. Southfield, Michigan, 1993. Softcover, 32 pages, 4to, 28 cm. Contents: I. Prose -- II. Poetry -- III. Drama -- IV. Anthologies -- V. Children/young adult -- VI. Criticism/Interviews -- VII. Periodicals -- VIII. Bibliography. SUBJECT (S): Israeli literature -- Translations into English -- Bibliography. English literature -- Translations from Hebrew -- Bibliography. "Prepared in cooperation with the Archives of Israeli Literature at the Israel National and Hebrew University Library, Givat Ram, Jerusalem, Israel. With the assistance of the Institute for the Translation of Hebrew Literature, Bnei Brak, Israel. " Other Titles: Checklist of Israeli literature, 1948-1994, in English; Israeli literature, 1948-1994, in English; First 50 years of the achievement of Israeli literature, 1948-1998: a check list in English. OCLC lists 12 copies worldwide. Ex-library. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-13-14) (ID #24126) $30.00.
170. • Kariv, Abraham. KENESET. Bialik Institute, Jerusalem, 1960. Hardcover, 268 pages, 8vo. In Hebrew. Title includes: Sidra Chahasha. Kivatsim licheker hasifarot ha'ivrit. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Bayerische Staatsbibliothek). Wear to cover binding. Wear to edges of cover corners. Otherwise, very good condiditon. (BIB-16-6) (ID #24316) $50.00.
171. • Patai, Raphael, 1910-1996. ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ZIONISM AND ISRAEL (COMPLETE IN 2 VOLUMES). New York: Herzl Press, 1971. Cloth, 4to, 2 volumes. (xxiii, 1292 pages,  folded leaf of plates): illustrated, facsimiles, maps, portraits. Contents: 1. A-J. -- 2. K-Z. SUBJECT(S): Zionism -- Dictionaries. Israel -- Dictionaries. Israel -- Encyclopedias. Bibliography: p. 1287-1292. The editor, Raphael Patai, (1910-1996), was an "anthropologist, biblical scholar, and editor. A son of József Patai, he was born in Budapest, Hungary. In 1933 he settled in Palestine, where he was awarded the first Ph. D. Degree of the Hebrew University in 1936. Returning to Budapest for a brief period, he was ordained at the rabbinical seminary. In 1938 Patai became an instructor in Hebrew at the Hebrew University. In 1942-43 he served as academic secretary of the Haifa Technion. In 1944 Patai founded the Palestine Institute of Folklore and Ethnology in Jerusalem and served as its director of research until 1948.In 1947 he went to the U. S. And in 1948-57 was professor of anthropology at Dropsie College. From 1966 to 1976 he was professor of anthropology at Fairleigh Dickinson University, Rutherford, New Jersey. During 1956-68 Patai served as president of the American Friends of Tel Aviv University in New York. In 1956 he became director of research of the Herzl Institute, New York, and from 1957 also editor of the Herzl Press. His main contribution to scholarship resides in two fields - the culture of the ancient Hebrews and Jews and that of the modern Middle East including Israel. " (Preschel, Tovia and Rohan Saxena, EJ, 2007) Ex-Library with typical markings. Slight wear to spine. Fold-out map intact. Good condition. (BIB-17-8) (ID #24341) $30.00.
172. • Pevsner, Zalman; David Idelovitch. קובץ מאמרים לדברי ימי העתונות בארץ ישראל KOVETS MAAMARIM LE-DIVRE YEME HA-`ITONUT BE-ERETS YISRAEL. VOLUME 2 (ONLY). Tel Aviv: Salomon's Press, 1936. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 224 pages. In Hebrew. Illustrated. English title: Kovets maamarim (Collection of articles) on the history of newspapers in Palestine. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew newspapers; Hebrew periodicals. OCLC lists 19 copies worldwide. Covers edgeworn and rubbed, postage stamp on title page, good condition. (GER-29-1) (ID #20376) $125.00.
173. • Poznanski, Edward. THE HEBREW UNIVERSITY PRESS. New York, American Friends Of The Hebrew University, 1945. Softcover, 6 pages, 8vo, 22 cm. Reprinted from Jewish Book Annual, Volume 4, 5706-1945. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Hebrew Union). Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-15-15) (ID #24284) $35.00.
174. • Stern, Gideon. PHOTOTYPESETTING IN ISRAEL CATALOG OF TYPEFACES, 1977. Ahva Cooperative Press, Jerusalem, 1977. Softcover, 20 pages, 24 cm. SUBJECT (S): Printing -- Specimens. Phototypesetting. Printing industry – Israel. Ex-library. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-13-15) (ID #24127) $35.00.
175. • A GAZETTEER OF HEBREW PRINTING, parts 1-3, complete. New York: The New York Public Library, 1945. Paper wrappers, In: BULLETIN OF THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY: ASTOR, LENNOX AND TILDEN FOUNDATIONS: VOLUME 49, NUMBERS 5, 6, & 7. MAY, JUNE & JULY 1945. 8vo. 355-556 pages. Also includes Parts 2-4 of "Bibliography of the Semitic Language of Ethiopia."SUBJECT (S): Bibliography – periodicals. Good condition. (MX-2-3-5) (ID #19282) $75.00.
176. • RELIGION AND THEOLOGY CITATIONS TO 4277 SELECTED DOCTORAL DISSERTATIONS AND MASTERS THESES PUBLISHED BETWEEN 1985 AND 1990. Bell and Howell Company, 1991. Paper wrappers, Folio. 160 pages. In English. OCLC lists only 1 holding worldwide (CANADIAN UNIV COLL), none outside Canada. In good condition. (SPEC4-20) (ID #20435) $100.00.
177. • Bialik, Hayyim Nahman; Minnie Halkin. THE HEBREW BOOK: AN ESSAY. Jerusalem: Bialik Institute, 1951. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 37 pages. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew literature – history and criticism; Jewish religious literature – history and criticism. OCLC lists 20 copies worldwide. “This essay.was delivered in the form of address.at the Conference on Hebrew Language and Culture, held in Vienna in 1913. The essay was first published in 1914 in the monthly review "Hashiloah" and was included in the Jubilee edition of the Collected works by H. N. Bialik, published in 1923."(pg. 3) Bialik (1873-1934) was “the greatest Hebrew poet of modern times. ” His childhood and youth influenced his poetry – the fields and forests of Volhynia, the solitariness of his grandfather's house where he lived after his father died, and the yeshiva he went to in Volozhin. Other influences include Ahad Ha-Am, and Russian literature – which he began to read as he became disillusioned with the religiosity at the yeshiva, and further immersed himself in after leaving the yeshiva and going to Odessa. His first published work was the poem “El ha-Zippor, ” which was published in 1892, in the first volume of Ha-Pardes. Later in life he lived also in Berlin, and settled in Palestine in 1924.(EJ, Spicehandler) Large residue stain on back cover, damp stain to pages. Good - condition. (BIB-7-25) (ID #19271) $35.00.
178. • Frank, Rafael. UBER HEBRAISCHE TYPEN UND SCHRIFTARTEN. Berlin, Schriftgiesserei H. Berthold, Abt. Privatdrucke, 1926. Hardcover, 21-39 pages, Folio, 33 x 25 cm. In German. Contents: Zur einfuhrung. --In memoriam Rafael Frank. --Uber hebraische typen und schriftarten, von Rafael Frank. --Die renaissance des hebraischen, von dr. Jacques Adler. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew type. Hebrew language. "Sechzehnter Bertholddruck. " "Hergestellt in einer beschrankten auflage fur einem kreis von freunden. "--Leaf at end. Reprinted from Archiv fur buchgewerbe, 48. Jg, hft. 11. Ex-library. Water stain to front and back cover. Slight browning on edges of pages. Hinge repair. Otherwise, good condition. (BIB-11-7) (ID #24046) $140.00.
179. • Habermann, Abraham Meir. תולדות הספר העברי TOLDOT HA-SEFER HA-`IVRI. Jerusalem: Rubin Mass, 1945. Hardcover, 12mo. 127 pages. Illustrated. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Printing, Hebrew - history; Hebrew imprints. SERIES: Sifriyat mas le-mada` populari, sefer 30. Habermann (1901-1980) was a "bibliographer and scholar of medieval Hebrew literature. Born at Zurawno (Galicia), Habermann from 1928 was librarian at the Schocken Library in Berlin. He immigrated to Palestine in 1934 and served as director of the Schocken Library in Jerusalem until 1967. From 1957 he taught medieval literature at Tel Aviv University (professor, 1969) and taught at the Graduate Library School of the Hebrew University. He was editor of the department of bibliography (Jewish printers) for the Encyclopaedia Hebraica and the department of medieval Hebrew poetry for the first edition of the Encyclopaedia Judaica. Habermann began his study of medieval literature in 1925, specializing in the Ashkenazi piyyut from the time of R. Ephraim ben Jacob of Bonn. " (EJ, 2007) Has dust jacket. Bottom corner of front cover chipped off, otherwise good+ condition. (HebLit-6-22) (ID #24449) $50.00.
180. • Yaari, Abraham. המחזה העברי: המקורי והמתורגם מראשיתו ועד היום: ביבליוגרפיה HA-MAHAZEH HA-IVRI: HA-MEKORI VEHA-METURGAM ME-RESHITO VE-AD HA-YOM: BIBLIYOGRAFYAH. Yerushalayim: Ha-Mahlakah Le-Inyene Ha-Noar Vehe-Haluts Shel Ha-Histadrut Ha-Tsiyonit, 1956. Hardcover, 187 pages, portraits, facsims, 8vo, 23 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew drama -- Bibliography. Hebrew drama -- Translations -- Bibliography. Bibliography of Jewish plays. Wear to edges of dust jacket. Otherwise is very good condition. (BIB-13-4) (ID #24118) $95.00.
181. • Praesent, Hans, (1888-1946). BIBLIOGRAPHISCHER LEITFADEN FÜR POLEN: EINFÜHRUNG IN DIE LITERATUR DER LANDESKUNDLICHEN, VÖLKISCHEN UND WIRTSCHAFTLICHEN VERHÄLTNISSE. MIT EINEM ANHANG: KRIEGSLITERATUR ZUR POLNISCHEN FRAGE. Berlin: Gea Verlag G. M. B. H, 1917. Paper wrappers, 4to, xiv, 115 pages. In German. Title translates as "Bibliographical Guide to Poland: An Introduction to the Literature of Civilization, Racial and Economic Conditions. With an Appendix: War literature on the Polish Question. Includes index. Sction on "Verbreitung der Juden (Dissemination of the Jews) " (see p. 131). Series: Veröffentlichnungen der Landeskundlichen Kommission beim Kaiserl. Deutschen Generalgouvernement Warschau. Beiträge zur polnischen Landeskunde. Reihe B ; [Band 2];. SUBJECT(S): World War, 1914-1918 -- Poland -- Bibliography. Poland -- Bibliography. Polish question -- Bibliography. Missing covers, damp stains to some pages. Good condition. We can have this rebound for you. Please enquire. (BIB-12-11) (ID #24263) $125.00.
182. • Appleton, Lewis. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF JEWISH VOCAL MUSIC. New York: National Jewish Music Council, 1958. Cloth, 4to. 92 pages. Revised edition. SUBJECT (S): Jews – music – bibliography; Vocal music – bibliography. Ex library with usual marks and library binding, good condition. (BIB-3-16) (ID #19861) $40.00.
183. • Baron, Salo Wittmayer, 1895-1989. ARE THE JEWS STILL THE PEOPLE OF THE BOOK?. Glencoe, Ill: Oscar Hillel Plotkin Library, 1955. Paper wrappers, 8vo, 20 pages. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Civilization. Essay on the relationship of the Jewish people to books. Scarce. Very Good condition. (BIB-21-2) (ID #24455) $50.00.
184. • Berlin, Charles, 1936-. INDEX TO FESTSCHRIFTEN IN JEWISH STUDIES. Cambridge: Harvard College Library, 1971. Cloth, 8vo, xl, 319 pages. SUBJECT (S): Festschriften -- Jews -- Indexes. Jews -- Bibliography. Juifs -- Bibliographie. Études juives -- Bibliographie. Mélanges (Recueils) -- Bibliographie. Jodendom. Feestbundels. Ex-library with labels and book pocket. Very Good + condition. (BIB-8-4) (ID #24075) $30.00.
185. • Berlin, Charles. STUDIES IN JEWISH BIBLIOGRAPHY, HISTORY, AND LITERATURE IN HONOR OF I. EDWARD KIEV. New York: Ktav, 1971. Cloth; 8vo. 587, 139 pages. In English and Hebrew. Title page in Hebrew on verso: Mehkarim be-mada`e ha-Yahadut [transliterated]. Subject (s): Jews -- Bibliography. Judaism -- History. Excellent condition. (BIB-15-31) (ID #14845) $60.00.
186. • Berliner, Abraham and Abraham Meir Habermann. KETAVIM NIVHARIM: METURGAMIM MI-GERMANIT (ONLY VOLUME 2). Yerushalayim: Mosad Ha-Rav Kuk, 1945-1949. Hardcover, 290 pages, 8vo, 23 cm. In Hebrew. 2 volume set, but only volume 2. SUBJECT (S): Judaism -- Liturgy -- History. Printing, Hebrew -- History. Includes bibliographical references. OCLC lists 16 copies found worldwide. Hinge repair. Water stain inside cover binding. Stained pages. Slight browning of pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-18) (ID #24328) $50.00.
187. • Braham, Randolph L. JEWS IN THE COMMUNIST WORLD: A BIBLIOGRAPHY, 1945-1960. New York, Twayne Publishers, 1961. Cloth, 8vo. 64 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Communist countries -- Bibliography. Braham, (1922–), historian of the Holocaust, distinguished professor emeritus of political science at the City College of New York and the doctoral program at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. Braham was born in Bucharest (Romania) and lived until 1943 in Dej (Transylvania), from where he was sent by the Hungarian authorities to serve in a military forced labor battalion as a Jew who was not allowed to serve in his country's armed forces. Shortly after World War II he left for the United States, where he began his academic studies in comparative politics. After obtaining his Ph. D, he began to study the history of the Holocaust of Central European Jewry. His best-known work is The Politics of Genocide: The Holocaust in Hungary (19942). Studies on the Holocaust, two volumes of his selected writings, appeared in 2000 and 2001 and he edited numerous volumes on the subject. (EJ, Schveiger) Ex library in very good condition. (BIB-8-1) (ID #20424) $30.00.
188. • Breslauer, S. Daniel. Gorman, G. E. MODERN JEWISH MORALITY: A BIBLIOGRAPHICAL SURVEY. New York: Greenwood Press, 1986. Cloth, 8vo, x, 239 pages. Series: Bibliographies and indexes in religious studies ; no. 8; SUBJECT (S): Jewish ethics -- Bibliography. Jodendom. Ethiek. Very good + condition. Institutional stamp on flyleaf. (BIB-12-1) (ID #24253) $30.00.
189. • Carmilly, Moshe. SEFER VA-SAYIF: HOFESH BITUI VEHA-MAHASHAVAH ETSEL AM YISRAEL. Yerushalayim, New-York: Mekhon Sura Al Yad Ha-Yeshivah Universit?ah, 1966. Hardcover, xxiv, 290, xiv pages, facsims, 8vo, 24 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Censorship -- Religious aspects -- Judaism. Preface also in English. Includes bibliographical references. Other Titles: Book and sword; freedom of expression and thought among the Jewish people. OCLC lists 23 copies worldwide. Inscribed by author. In dust jacket. Slight chipping to edges of cover and corners. Slight staining to back cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-8) (ID #24318) $50.00.
190. • Freehof, Solomon B. ON THE COLLECTING OF JEWISH BOOKS. [New York]: Society of Jewish Bibliophiles, 1961. Limited edition. Cloth; 8vo. 26 pages. Beautifully bound in brown cloth with gilt lettering on front cover and spine, and marbled endpapers. "Dr. Freehof's address. Was presented before the founding members of the Society of Jewish Bibliophiles assembled in Cincinnati for the dedication of the new Library buildings of the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion on June 10, 1961." This edition is limited to 250 copies. SUBJECT (S): Book collectors. Book collecting. OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide. Ex-library with minimal markings. Spine slightly loose; overall, very good + condition. (CT-7) (ID #14852) $75.00.
191. • Fuks, L. & B. Poll. JOODSE PERS IN DE NEDERLANDEN EN IN DUITSLAND. JÜDISCHE PRESSE IN DEN NIEDERLANDEN UND IN DEUTSCHLAND. 1674-1940. Amsterdam, Anne Frank Huis, 1969. Paper Wrappers, 8vo, 131 pages. In Dutch and German. Printed on glossy paper. The Jewish Press in the Netherlands and in Germany, 1674-1940. "Tentoonstelling georganiseerd door de Anne Frank Stichting i.s.m. Internationales Zeitungsmuseum der Stadt Aachen, Universiteitsbibliotheek Amsterdam (Bibliotheca Rosenthaliana) en Stichting Nederlands Persmuseum Amsterdam 9-30 juni 1969, in het Anne Frank Huis te Amsterdam." Wrinkling to bottom margins of few pages, otherwise Good Condition. (bib-18-12) (ID #24461) $30.00.
192. • Goldstein, Israel. JEWISH ASPECTS OF THE 500TH ANNIVERSARY OF PRINTING. Boston, 1940. Soft, 6 leaves, 4to stapled. Mimeographed. By Dr. Israel Goldstein. Address delivered at Boston public library, December 26, 1940, on the occasion of Jewish book week. Rabbi of Congregation on B'Nei Jeshurun, New York City. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Yale, Hebrew Union). Stained pages. Slight browning to edges of pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-15-26) (ID #24295) $50.00.
193. • Kisch, Guido. JUDAISTISCHE BIBLIOGRAPHIE.EIN VERZEICHNIS DER IN DEUTSCHLAND UND DER SCHWEIZ VON 1956 BIS 1970 ERSCHIENENEN DISSERTATIONEN UND HABILITATIONSSCHRIFTEN. Basel, Stuttgart, Helbing & Lichtenhahn, 1972. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 104 pages. In German. SUBJECT (S): Jewish studies -- Bibliography. Dissertations, Academic -- Germany -- Bibliography. Dissertations, Academic -- Switzerland -- Bibliography. Joden. Jodendom. Proefschriften. Juifs -- Étude et enseignement -- Bibliographie. Thèses et écrits académiques -- Allemagne -- Bibliographie. Thèses et écrits académiques -- Suisse -- Bibliographie. Kisch, (1889–1986), was a historian of law and of the legal status of Jews. Kisch. The son of Alexander Kisch, he was born in Prague. He was educated in Prague and taught the theory and history of law at Leipzig, Koenigsberg, Halle, and Prague universities. Dismissed by the Nazis in 1933, for a time he taught Jewish history at the Breslau Juedisch-Theologisches Seminar. In 1935 he immigrated to the United States and taught history at the Jewish Institute of Religion in New York. In 1949 he served as visiting professor at the University of Lund in Sweden. In 1953 he began to teach at the University of Basel, and settled in Switzerland in 1962. His main interest was the investigation of the legal position of the Jews as reflected in non-Jewish legal sources. (EJ, Staff) In very good condition (SPEC4-2) (ID #20417) $40.00.
194. • Koolik, Marilyn Gold. CONSTRUCTIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE USES OF FILM AS PROPAGANDA: CASE STUDIES FROM JEWISH HISTORY. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Library, 1992. Softcover, 25 pages, illustrated, 8vo, 23 cm. Series: Max and Irene Engel Levy Memorial lecture; 1991. SUBJECT (S): Jews in motion pictures. Motion pictures in propaganda. Propaganda, Jewish. Propaganda. Films. Joden. Includes bibliographical references. OCLC lists 27 copies worldwide. Ex-library. Very good condition. (BIB-13-20) (ID #24132) $30.00.
195. • Lerski, Jerzy J. JEWISH-POLISH COEXISTENCE, 1772-1939: A TOPICAL BIBLIOGRAPHY. New York: Greenwood Press, 1986. Hardcover, xiv, 230 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. Series: Bibliographies and indexes in world history, no. 5. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Poland -- Bibliography. Joden. Geographic: Poland --Ethnic relations --Bibliography. Identifier: Poland; Jews; Social conditions, 1772-1939 - Bibliographies. Includes index. Very good condition. (k-mx-1-25) (ID #21472) $65.00.
196. • Liberman, Serge, compiler. edited by Laura Gallou. A BIBLIOGRAPHY OF AUSTRALIAN JUDAICA. 8vo, 257 pages. Sydney: The Mandelbaum and the University of Sydney Library, 1991. Paper. Studies in Judaica Number Four. Second revised edition. Title and author indices at back of book. Subjects: Jews -- Australia -- Bibliography. Australian literature -- Jewish authors -- Bibliography. Jewish literature -- Bibliography. Australia -- Ethnic relations -- Bibliography. Light staining on front cover. Light wear. Wear to edges of cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-9-4) (ID #23821) $25.00.
197. • Marcus, Jacob Rader. A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO THE BIBLIOGRAPHY OF MODERN JEWISH HISTORY. Cincinnati, Hebrew Union College, 1935. Paper Wrappers, Folio. 170 pages. In English. Series: Hebrew union College, Cincinnati, Publication; no. 16. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- History --Bibliography. Marcus, (1896–1995), was a U. S. Rabbi and a historian. Marcus was the first trained historian of the Jewish people born in America and the first to devote himself to the scholarly study of America's Jews. Through the American Jewish Archives, which he founded in 1947, and through the many books that he published during his long life, he defined, propagated, and professionalized the field of American Jewish history, achieving renown as its founding father and dean. At the time of his death, he was also the oldest and most beloved member of the Reform rabbinate and the senior faculty member at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion (Cincinnati), where he had taught for some three-quarters of a century. (EJ, Sarna) In very good condition. (BIB-8-6) (ID #20433) $30.00.
198. • Marcus, Jacob Rader, 1896-1995. Bilgray, Albert. AN INDEX TO JEWISH FESTSCHRIFTEN. New York: Kraus Reprint Co, 1970, 1937. Cloth, 4to, 6, 154 pages. SUBJECT (S) Descriptor: Festschriften -- Indexes. Jews -- Bibliography. Mélanges (Recueils) -- Bibliographie -- Index. Juifs -- Bibliographie. Reproduced from type-written copy./ "List of Festschriften": p. -6 (1st group)./ Reprint of the 1937 ed, published by Hebrew Union College, Cincinnati. Very Good + condition. (BIB-8-7) (ID #24076) $30.00.
199. • Mayer, L. A. 1895-1959. (Leo Ary), Kurz, Otto, 1908-1975, Ed. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF JEWISH ART. Jerusalem: Magnes Press, Hebrew University, 1967. Cloth, 8vo, 374 pages. SUBJECT (S): Art, Jewish -- Bibliography. Art juif -- Bibliographie. Ex-library with labels and book pocket. Very Good + condition. (BIB-8-3) (ID #24074) $30.00.
200. • Miller, Sally M; 1937-, editor. THE ETHNIC PRESS IN THE UNITED STATES: A HISTORICAL ANALYSIS AND HANDBOOK. New York: Greenwood Press, 1987. Cloth, 8vo, xxii, 437 pages. Includes a 25 page section on the Jewish press by Arthur Goren, as well as sections on the Arabic language press, the Polish-American press, the Russian press, and the German-American press, among others. SUBJECT (S): Ethnic press -- United States. American newspapers -- Foreign language press. Presse ethnique -- E´tats-Unis. Newspapers for ethnic minorities: Newspapers with American imprints, to 1986. Includes bibliographies and index. Very good + condition. (BIB-17-10) (ID #24343) $50.00.
201. • National Jewish Music Council. Bibliography Committee. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF JEWISH VOCAL MUSIC. New York, National Jewish Music Council, 1947. Hardcover, 33, 18 pages, 4to, 28 cm. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Music -- Bibliography. Vocal music - Bibliography. OCLC lists 24 copies worldwide. Ex-library. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-15-4) (ID #24274) $30.00.
202. • Posner, Raphael. Ta-Shma, Israel M. THE HEBREW BOOK: AN HISTORICAL SURVEY. Jerusalem: Keter Pub. House Jerusalem, 1975. Cloth, 4to, 225,  pages,  leaves of plates: illustrated. Comprehensive overview of Hebrew books and printing, including the illuminated manuscript, printing from the 1500s to the Modern period, collecting, the artistry of the book, and more. Illustrated throughout in high quality black and white images. SUBJECT (S): Printing, Hebrew -- History. Manuscripts, Hebrew. Jewish illumination of books and manuscripts. Imprimerie -- Histoire hébraïque. Manuscrits hébreux. Enluminure juive. Includes bibliography and appendix. Foreword by Jacob Rothschild. Inscription in pen to former owner on inside front cover. Excellent condition. (BIB-17-3) (ID #24337) $30.00.
203. • Rosenberg, Louise Renee. JEWS IN THE SOVIET UNION; AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY, 1967-1971. New York, American Jewish Committee, Institute Of Human Relations, 1971. Hardcover, 59 pages, 4to, 28 cm. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Soviet Union -- Bibliography. Ex-library with usual markings. Bumped corners and edges of covers. Hinge repair. Wear to cover binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-11-11) (ID #24050) $40.00.
204. • Roth, Cecil, 1899-1970; Jewish Historical Society Of England; Mocatta Library and Museum; University College, London; Library. MAGNA BIBLIOTHECA ANGLO-JUDAICA; A BIBLIOGRAPHICAL GUIDE TO ANGLO-JEWISH HISTORY. London, Jewish Historical Society Of England, University College, 1937. Cloth, tall 8vo, xiii, 464 pages. Edition: New ed, rev. And enl, by Cecil Roth. Shunami 2232. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Great Britain -- Bibliography. Jews -- Bibliography. A revised edition of Bibliotheca anglo-judaica compiled by Joseph Jacobs and Lucien Wolf (London, 1888) and a catalog of material relating to Anglo-Jewish history found in the Mocatta library and collections housed in University college, London. (Introduction) Wear to cover and spine. Text in very good condition. A few light pencil markings throughout.(BIB-17-2) (ID #24336) $75.00.
205. • Schulze, Friedrich. DEUTSCHE BIBELN, VOM ALTESTEN BIBELDRUCK BIS ZUR LUTHERBIBEL. Leipzig, Bibliographisches Institut Ag, 1934. Hardcover, 46 pages including illustrations, facsims, some color, fold, 12mo, 18 cm. In German. SUBJECT (S): Bijbels. Bible. German -- Versions. Folded colored facsimile with imitation gold leaf mounted on inside of back cover. Ex-library. Inscription inside cover. Sunning to edges of cover. Wear to cover binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-13-21) (ID #24133) $30.00.
206. • University Microfilms International. RELIGION, THEOLOGY, AND PHILOSOPHY: A CATALOG OF SELECTED DOCTORAL DISSERTATION RESEARCH. Ann Arbor, Mich: University Microfilms International, 1987. Paper Wrappers, Folio. 52 pages. In English. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide [SAINT OLAF, LANCASTER BIBLE COL, COLUMBIA INT UNIV (in South Carolina) ], none in prominent Jewish collections. SUBJECT(S): Religion -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. Theology -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. Philosophy -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. Dissertations, Academic -- North America -- Bibliography -- Catalogs. Catalogs, Publishers' -- United States. Named Corp: University Microfilms International -- Catalogs. In very good condition. (SPEC4-19) (ID #20434) $50.00.
207. • Yasser, Joseph. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF BOOKS AND ARTICLES ON JEWISH MUSIC. New York: National Jewish Music Council, 1955. Softcover, 12 pages, large 8vo, 29 cm. Revised Addition. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Music -- Bibliography. Cover title. Prepared by Joseph Yasser. OCLC lists 16 copies worldwide. Light wear. Small chipping to edges of front cover. Small light stain on back cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-12) (ID #24322) $30.00.
208. • Yohai Goell. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF MODERN HEBREW LITERATURE IN TRANSLATION. Tel Aviv: Institute For The Translation Of Hebrew Literature, 1975. Cloth, narrow 8vo, 117 pages. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew literature, Modern -- Translations -- Bibliography. Hebrew literature, Modern -- History and criticism -- Bibliography. Very good + condition. (BIB-7-26) (ID #23954) $30.00.
209. • Yaari, Abraham. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE PASSOVER HAGGADAH FROM THE EARLIEST PRINTED EDITION TO 1960, WITH TWENTY FIVE REPRODUCTIONS FROM RARE EDITIONS AND A FACSIMILE OF A UNIQUE COPY OF THE FIRST PRINTED HAGGADAH IN THE JEWISH NATIONAL AND UNIVERSITY LIBRARY, JERUSALEM. Bamberger & Wahrman, Jerusalem, 1960. Folio. Xxix + 207 + xx + v pages. In Hebrew and some English. Tan cloth with title plate. Double column text in Hebrew and English. Illustrated with 25 reproductions of woodcuts from rare editions. Important and oft-cited reference. Edgewear to dust jacket, much less to book, thus Very Good in Good Jacket. (LIC) $160.00
210. • Yerushalmi, Yosef Hayim. HAGGADAH AND HISTORY: A PANORAMA IN FACSIMILE OF FIVE CENTURIES OF THE PRINTED HAGGADAH FROM THE COLLECTIONS OF HARVARD UNIVERSITY AND THE JEWISH THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY OF AMERICA. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society, 1975. Hardcover, 8vo, 494 pages. Facsimile illustrations in Hebrew. Fold out map. Second printing. SUBJECT(S): Judaism - prayer books and devotion; Printing, Hebrew; Haggadah. Yerushalmi (b. 1932) was educated at Yeshiva University, Columbia, and the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. He became a professor at Harvard in 1966, where he was later to be chairman of the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, and was elected as a fellow of the American Academy of Jewish Research in 1972. In 1980, he became the director of Columbia's Center for Israel and Jewish Studies.(EJ) Cover in dustjacket. Very good condition. (k-mx-1-17/lic) (ID #21405) $50.00.
211. • AUTHORS TAKE SIDES ON THE SPANISH WAR. London: Left Review, 1937. Softcover, 32 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. SUBJECT (S): Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939 -- Foreign public opinion. First Edition. Consists of answers to a question sent to various writers and poets in Great Britain in June 1937. 148 writers, some Jewish, respond to the questions: "Are you for, or against, the legal Government and the People of Republican Spain?" and "are you for, or against, Franco and Fascism?" Responses include George Barnard Shaw, H. G. Wells, Aldous Huxley, Esthel Mannin, Liam O'Flaherty, Evelyn Waugh, Ruby M. Aryes, Havelock Ellis, Louis Golding, Lady Eleanor Smith, Laurence Housman, Sir P. Chalmers Mitchell, A. J. Cummings, Rose Macaulay, C. Day Lewis, Naomi Royde Smith, Helen Waddell, Stephen Spender, A. E. Coppard, Storm Jameson, John Strachey, Olaf Stapledon, W. H. Auden, Arthur Calder-Marshall, Lancelot Hogben, Rebecca West, H. M. Tomlinson, Hamilton Fyfe, V. Sackville-West, Norman Douglas, Ezra Pound, T. S. Eliot, Rosamund Lehmann, Arthur Machen, H. W. Nevinson, J. W. Robertson-Scott, Eric Linklater, E. Ibbetson James, Harol Laski, Charles Morgan and over 100 others. Other Titles: Left review (London, England). Light staining to front and back covers. Minimal chipping on bottom of front cover. Light wear to binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-5) (ID #24315) $195.00.
212. • Farbridge, Maurice H. ENGLISH LITERATURE AND THE HEBREW RENAISSANCE. London: Luzac, 1953. Hardcover, 160 pages, 8vo, 22 cm. SUBJECT (S): Literature, Comparative -- English and Hebrew. Literature, Comparative -- Hebrew and English. Includes index. Abraham Katsh's copy with bookplate. Ex-library. Hinge repair. Wear to binding, cover edges and corners. Small stain to bottom of front cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-9-11) (ID #23966) $30.00.
213. • Silberschlag, Eisig. HEBREW LITERATURE: AN EVALUATION. New York, 1951. Softcover, 175-212 pages (i. E. 35 pages), 8vo, 22 cm. Signed by author. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew literature -- History and criticism. Letterkunde. Hebreeuws. Reprinted from The world through literature. Includes bibliographical references on pages 211-212. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-15-22) (ID #24291) $30.00.
214. • Untermeyer, Jean Starr. POETRY IN A PROSAIC WORLD. Boston, 1940. Soft, 3 leaves, 4to. Mimeographed. By Jean Starr Untermeyer. Delivered at the Boston Jewish book week program at Lecture hall, Boston public library, Sunday, December 22, 1940, at 7.45 p. M. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Yale). Stained pages. Light wear. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-15-24) (ID #24293) $30.00.
215. • Wilensky, Mordecai. THE LITERARY CONTROVERSY IN 1656 CONCERNING THE RETURN OF THE JEWS TO ENGLAND. New York, 1951. Softcover, 357-393 pages (i. E. 36 pages), 8vo, 25 cm. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- Great Britain -- Political and social conditions. Reprinted from Proceedings of the American Academy for Jewish Research, Vol. XX, 1951. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Hebrew Union). Signed by author. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-15-11) (ID #24281) $30.00.
216. • ALMANACH DES SCHOCKEN VERLAGS AUF DAS JAHR 5694. Berlin: Der Verlag, 1933. Paper wrappers, 12mo. 132 pages. In German. SUBJECT (S): Jewish literature – Germany – periodicals; Jewish almanacs – Germany. OCLC lists 15 copies worldwide. Spine faded and creased, very good condition. (GER-20-25) (ID #18979) $40.00.
217. • NON-CONFORMIST JOURNALISM IN AN AGE OF CONFORMITY. [New York]: Jewish Newsletter, Pamphlet, narrow 8vo, 10 pages. Booklet advertising "The Jewish Newsletter", a secular bi-weekly review founded in 1948 aiming "To keep alive the spirit of independent thinking among Jews". Includes editorial policies, and quotes of support by Rabbi Mordecai Kaplan, Erich Fromm, and others. (BIB-7-28) (ID #23956) $30.00.
218. • Fraenkel, Josef. THE JEWISH PRESS OF THE WORLD. London: Cultural Department of the World Jewish Congress, 1967. Sixth edition. Wrappers; 8vo. 116 pages. Jews -- Periodicals -- Directories. Jewish newspapers -- Directories. OCLC lists nineteen copies worldwide. Cover slightly tanned; Very Good condition. (BIB-8-11) (ID #23818) $20.00.
219. • I. Abrahams and C.G. Montefiore. THE JEWISH QUARTERLY REVIEW. Vols. 1-20, complete old series with index. KTAV, 1966. Cloth, 8vo. Originally published 1888-1908. Complete run of the old series. Reprint, bound in uniform cloth. Ex-library. Very Good Condition. (BIB7-36) (ID #20742) $400.00.
220. • JAHRBUCH DER JUEDISCH-LITERARISCHEN GESELLSCHAFT. VOLUMES 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, & 11. Frankfurt A. M, Juedisch-Literarischen Gesellschaft, 1903-. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo, ca 400 pages each volume. Journal of the society for the Advancement of the Scientific Study of Judaism, which was founded in Frankfurt by Orthodox Jews in 1902 (the same year as the establishment of the Liberal Gesellschaft zur Foerderung der Wissenschaft des Judentums). "Its founding members were rabbis Solomon Bamberger, Jonas Bondi, Isaac Halevy, Heyman Kottek, & Moses Marx, and educator Gerson Lange." The Jahrbuch includes "articles on diverse aspects of Jewish history and thought, book reviews, and a few contributions in Hebrew. " (Michael Meyer in EJ 1972, 10: 464-465). The journal ceased publication after volume 22 for 1931-32. Light browning as usually found, otherwise Very Good Condition. Price is per volume. All Very Good+ Condition in original cloth. (183) (ID #3225) $30.00.
221. • Philipson, David; Sheldon H. Blank, & Elias L. Epstein, editors. HEBREW UNION COLLEGE ANNUAL. Vols. 1-78, complete and up to date. Hardcover, 8vo, Cincinnati, HUC, 1924-2008. Cloth, 8vo. The Hebrew Union College Annual began publication in 1924 and is an international forum for scholarly discussion in all areas of Judaic, biblical, and semitic studies. Very Good Condition. (ID #11148) $1000.00.
222. • Bradshaw, Henry, 1831-1886. Jenkinson, Francis, 1853-1923. COLLECTED PAPERS OF HENRY BRADSHAW. Cambridge, University Press, 1889. Hardcover, large 8vo, 500 pages.14 plates. Contents include: On the recovery of the Long Lost Waldensian Manuscripts -- Two Lists of Books in the University Library. -- An Early University Statute concerning Hostels -- On two hitherto unknown Poems by John Barbour, Author of the Brus. -- A View of the State of the University in Queen Anne's Reign (with 1 plate) -- On the Earliest English Engravings of the Indulgence known as the 'Image of Pity' -- The Skeleton of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales -- A Classified Index of the Fifteenth Century Books in the DeMeyer Collection sold at Ghent, November 1869 -- On the oldest written remains of the Welsh Language -- On the ABC as an authorized School-book in the Sixteenth Century. SUBJECT(S): Bibliography. Early printed books. Manuscripts -- England. Libraries -- England -- Cambridge. Cambridge University Library. University of Cambridge. Library. On title page: "comprising 1. 'Memoranda'; 2. 'Communications' read before the Cambridge antiquarian society; together with an article contributed to the 'Bibliographer', and two papers not previously published. Ed. For the Syndics of the University press. With thirteen plates. " Library bookplate, no other markings. Damp stain to some pages. Very Good condition. (BIB-12-7) (ID #24259) $80.00.
223. • Haussleiter, Hermann. REGISTER ZUM QORANKOMMENTAR DES TABARI (KAIRO 1321). Strassburg: K. J. Trubner, 1912. Hardcover, 47 pages, 8vo, 26 cm. In German. SUBJECT (S): Named Person: Al-Tabari. Jami 'al-bayan fi tafsir al-Qur'an -- Indexes. OCLC lists 23 copies worldwide. Ex-library. Stained pages. Water stain throughout book. Wear to cover binding and edges. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-16-10) (ID #24320) $60.00.
224. • Snead & Co. Iron Works. LIBRARY PLANNING, BOOKSTACKS AND SHELVING. Jersey City, N. J, The Snead & Company Iron Works, 1915. Hardcover, 271 pages, illustrated, Folio, 31 cm. SUBJECT (S): Shelving for books. Library fittings and supplies. Library architecture. Also issued online. Printed on heavy glossy paper, loaded with photos and diagrams. Judaica Librarian Extraordinaire Alexander Marx’s copy with numbered bookplate from the publisher. Wear to edges of cover and binding. Light wear on outside covers. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-11-6) (ID #24045) $30.00.
225. • Bradshaw, Henry. LETTERS OF HENRY BRADSHAW TO OFFICIALS OF THE BRITISH MUSEUM. (UNIVERSITY LIBRARY, CAMBRIDGE, 18TH JANUARY, 1868). 11 loose pages from The Library New Series V, 1904. Tears and chips to page edges, damp stain to first page. (BIB-12-12) (ID #24264) $30.00.
226. • Garnett, Richard, 1835-1906. ESSAYS IN LIBRARIANSHIP AND BIBLIOGRAPHY. London, G. Allen, 1899. Hardcover, 8vo, xiv, 343 pages. Fifth volume issued in "The library Series." Includes this odd reference to Hebrew books: " I have seen multitudes of Hebrew books in his bedroom, so stained and greasy and stinking, that one's nose seemed damaged irrecoverably; they must have been disinterred from Jewish kitchens, smelling as they did of smoke, soup, cheese, pickles, or rather a mixture of each and all these aromas. " Contents: Address to the Library association --Public libraries and their catalogues. --The printing of the British museum Catalogue. --The past, present, and future of the British museum Catalogue. --The British museum Catalogue as the basis of a universal catalogue. --Introduction of European printing into the East. --Paraguayan and Argentine bibliography. --The early Italian book trade. --Some book-hunters of the seventeenth century. --Librarianship in the seventeenth century. --The manufacture of fine paper in England in the eighteenth century. --On some colophons of the early printers. --On the system of classifying books on the shelves followed at the British museum. --Subject indexes to transactions of learned societies. --Photography in public libraries. --The telegraph in the library. --On the protection of libraries from fire. --The sliding-press at the British museum. --On the provision of additional space in libraries. --Preface to Blades "Enemies of books. "--Sir Anthony Panizzl. --The late John Winter Jones. --The late Henry Stevens. --The late Sir Edward A. Bond. --Index. SUBJECT (S): Library science. Bibliography. British Museum. Handwritten notes on flyleaf. Damp stain to margins, Back cover worn and small tear to spine. Good- condition. (BIB-12-8) (ID #24260) $100.00.
227. • Alker, Hugo. BLOCKFLOTEN-BIBLIOGRAPHIE. Wilhelmshaven, Heinrichshofen's Verlag, 1966. 146 pages, 22 cm. In German. 2nd Edition. Contents:  Blockfloten-Bibliographie. --2. Nachtrag und Gesamtregister. --Bd. 3. Nachtrag 1970-1974. SUBJECT (S): Recorder (Musical instrument) -- Bibliography. Recorder music -- Bibliography. Flute a bec -- Bibliographie. Flute a bec, Musique de -- Bibliographie. First edition published in 1960 (with a supplement in 196l) as vol. 27 and 28 of the series "Biblos-Schriften" by Universitätsbibliothek Wien. Ex-library with usual markings. In dust jacket. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-11-2) (ID #24041) $30.00.
228. • Diringer, David, 1900-1975. THE HAND-PRODUCED BOOK. New York, Philosophical Library, 1953. Hardcover, 8vo, 603 pages. First U. S. Edition. Illustrated, facsimiles. A companion vol. To the author's The alphabet; a key to the history of mankind. Includes bibliographical references. SUBJECT (S): Books -- History -- Antiquity and middle ages. A comprehensive history of the book from clay tablet and papyrus books to Greek and Latin to Anglo-Celtic Medieval books. Facsimiles of ancient books and manuscripts throughout. Ex-library with unobtrusive tape residue on spine. Very good condition, an attractive copy. (BIB-12-3) (ID #24255) $95.00.
239. • Franklin, Benjamin. AN APOLOGY FOR PRINTERS. New York: Book Craftsmen Associates, 1955. Hardcover, 16 pages, illustrated, 12mo, 18 cm. SUBJECT (S): Freedom of the press -- Early works to 1800. Franklin, Benjamin, 1706-1790. Originally published in the Pennsylvania Gazette for the week June 3 to June 19, 1731. Other Titles: Pennsylvania gazette (Philadelphia, Pa: 1729). Edited and with an introduction by Randolph Goodman ; a prefatory note by Philip Wittenberg ; and wood engravings by John De Pol. Light wear. Very good condition. (BIB-11-1) (ID #24040) $30.00.
230. • Whitehouse, J. Howard. THE CRAFTSMANSHIP OF BOOKS. London, G. Allen And Unwin, 1929. Hardcover, 47 pages, 8vo, 22 cm. SUBJECT (S): Books -- Format. Expansion of original suggestions published in the Literary supplement of the Times. Blank pages for "Notes and reviews". "Works by J. Howard Whitehouse" on page 41. Ex-library. Wear to binding. Bumped corners and edges of cover binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (BIB-13-18) (ID #24130) $30.00.
231. • Goldstein, Jonathan.THE JEWS OF CHINA: A SOURCEBOOK AND RESEARCH GUIDE. New York, London, M.E. Sharpe, 2000. Cloth, 8vo. 202 pages. ISBN 076501052. Brand New, Perfect Condition. (comhist-16-33). $55.00
233. • Loewenthal, Rudolf; Pollak, Michael. THE SINO-JUDAIC BIBLIOGRAPHIES OF RUDOLF LOEWENTHAL: TIAO CHIN CHIAO. Cincinnati, Hebrew Union College Press, 1988. Paperback,. 8vo, 398 pages. ISBN 0878209107. Very Good Condition (comhist-16-37). $30.00
234. • Eber, Irene; and Gilboa, Violet. CHINA AND THE JEWS: A SAMPLING OF HARVARD LIBRARY RESOURCES FOR THE STUDY OF JEWISH LIFE IN CHINA AND CHINESE-JEWISH RELATIONS: EXHIBITION, 16 AUGUST--24 SEPTEMBER 1992, WIDENER UNIVERSITY, HARVARD LIBRARY. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Library, 1992. Paper Wrappers, 4to 42 pages. 28 cm. Includes illustrations. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- China -- Exhibitions. Jews -- China -- Library resources -- Exhibitions. " A publication of the Max and Irene Engel Levy Judaica Book Fund." Very Good Condition. $75.00