Dan Wyman Books
47 Dartmouth St. Springfield, MA 01109
We Find Good Homes for Nice Jewish Books
SHORT LIST OF TITLES IN JEWISH BIBLIOGRAPY, ART, &
Nr. 25 Nr. 34 Nr. 15
Welcome to our latest list of titles in Jewish Bibliograph, Art & Photography.
A text-only version may be viewed at www.danwymanbooks.com/bibliography/bibliography.doc
As always, all items are 100% returnable for any reason. Domestic shipping is generally $5.00 for the first volume and $1.00 for each additional volume for domestic addresses. International shipments are at cost, generally $9.00 for the first volume or two if they will fit in a global priority envelope. International shipping for oversize items is generally around $15.00 per volume, based on weight. All items are offered subject to prior sale, first come, first served.
We prefer payment by credit card, but also accept checks in US funds or www.paypal.com. We will also gladly invoice your institution. Please do not order via fax at this time.
INSTITUTIONAL CUSTOMERS WITH BUDGETARY CONSTRAINTS MAY DELAY PAYMENT IF NECESSARY.
Please use our on-line search engine to browse the more than 5000 titles we have listed on line at www.DanWymanBooks.com, where you will also find other lists of unusual Judaica titles.
PLEASE ALSO LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE OUR LISTS OF OUT OF PRINT JUDAICA TITLES by emailing us at [email protected].
And feel free to forward this list to other colleagues who may be interested.
WE URGENTLY NEED QUALITY JUDAICA IMPRINTS FOR CASH OR TRADE. We make housecalls in the Northeast, and we pay for shipping when we can't come to you.
Please let us know by email or phone which items you would like to order.
Special thanks to our talented cataloguers, Cicily Corbett & Alex Deschamps.
1. • Berlin, Charles. INDEX TO FESTSCHRIFTEN IN JEWISH STUDIES. Cambridge, MA, 1971. Cloth. 8vo. 374 pages. In English and Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Festschriften - Jews - Indexes; Jews - Bibliography; Juifs - Bibliographie; Études juives - Bibliographie; Mélanges (Recueils) - Bibliographie; Jodendom; Feestbundels. OCLC lists 5 copies worldwide. Gilt lettering on spine and cover. Slight fading to endpapers. Mild bumping to top and bottom of spine. Otherwise in Very Good condition(BIB-1-7). (ID #17640) $20.00.
3. • Bloch, Joshua. OF MAKING MANY BOOKS: AN ANNOTATED LIST OF THE BOOKS ISSUED BY THE JEWISH PUBLICATION SOCIETY OF AMERICA, 1890-1952. Philadelphia; Jewish Publication Society of America 1953. Cloth. 8vo. 329 pages. Black and white frontis images. SUBJECT (S): Jewish Publication Society of America, Philadelphia - Bibliography OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide. Gilt lettering on spine and cover. Ex-library with usual marks to endpapers & title page. No marks to cover or text. Otherwise in Very Good condition. (BIB-1-9A). (ID #17643) $20.00.
3. • Blumenkranz, Bernhard. BIBLIOGRAPHIE DES JUIFS EN FRANCE. Paris: École Pratique des Hautes Études, VIe section, Division des aires culturelles, Centre d'études juives, 1961. Half Cloth. Folio. 188 pages. In French. Part of the series "École pratique des hautes études, Sorbonne. 6. Section: Sciences économiques et sociales. Études juives, volume hors-série" SUBJECT (S): Jews - France. OCLC lists 25 copies worldwide. Ex-library with minimal markings. Fraying to lower binding. Bottom of binding detached on front cover. Light sun-fading to covers. Occasional crease marks on covers. Some light wear to rear spine. Date stamped in ink on front cover. Edges lightly bumped. Otherwise in Good condition. (BIB-1-1). (ID #17634) $150.00.
4. • Davis, Moshe. AMERICA AND THE HOLY LAND. Wesport, Conn.: Praeger, 1995. Cloth. 8vo. 193 pages. Maps. Part of the series "With Eyes Toward Zion, IV" SUBJECT (S): Palestine in Judaism; Palestine in Christianity; Judaism - United States - History - 19th century. Remnants of bookplate and marks from where it was torn out in front cover. Slight wearing on back cover. Gilt lettering on spine and cover. (BIB-1-4). (ID #17637) $65.00.
5. • Madison, Charles Allan. JEWISH PUBLISHING INAMERICA: THE IMPACT OF JEWISH WRITING ON AMERICAN CULTURE. New York: Sanhedrin Press, 1976. Cloth. 8vo. 294 pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Jewish publishing - United States - History; Yiddish literature - United States - History and criticism; Jewish periodicals - United States - History. Markings of previous owner on front endpapers. Occasional marginalia in pencil. Spotting to edges of textblock. Gilt lettering on spine. Colored endpapers. Mild wear and occasional small tears to dustjacket. Otherwise in Good condition in Good dustjacket. (BIB-1-2). (ID #17635) $20.00.
6. • Malachi, Eliezer Raphael. PRI ETZ CHAIM: BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE WORKS OF CHAIM TCHERNOWITZ (RAV TZAIR) AND OF THE LITERATURE ABOUT HIM. New York, 1946. Paper Wrappers. 8vo. 53 pages. Frontis and rear black and white portraits. SUBJECT (S): Tchernowitz, Chaim, 1870-1949 - Bibliography. Textured cover. Slight bumping to edges and top and bottom of spine. Otherwise in Very Good condition. (BIB-1-6). (ID #17639) $100.00.
7. • Neubauer, Adolf. ANECDOTA
OXONIENSIA TEXTS DOCUMENTS AND EXTRACTS CHIEFLY FROM MANUSCRIPTS IN THE
BODLEIAN AND OTHE OXFORD LIBRARIES. SEMITIC SERIES. VOL. I - PART VI:
MEDIAEVAL JEWISH CHRONICLES AND CHRONOLOGICAL NOTES. Oxford: Clarendon
Press, 1887. 4to. 200 pages. In English and Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Jewish
History. Lacks covers but all pages present. Rough edged pages. Small
tear on corner of English title page. Overall in good condition.
(BR-8-19). (ID #17012) $100.00.
8. • Shaked, Shaul. A TENTATIVE BIBLIOGRAPHY OF GENIZA DOCUMENTS. Paris: Mouton, 1964. Paper Wrappers. 8 vo. 355 pages. Part of the series "École pratique des hautes études, Sorbonne. 6. Section: Sciences économiques et sociales. Études juives, 5". SUBJECT (S): Genizah; Hebrew Manuscripts - Catalogue. Mild age spotting on covers and edges of textblock. Bumping to edges. Surface puncture to edge of rear cover and following pages with no damage to text. Upper corner of rear corner creased as well as last few pages. Otherwise in Good condition. Prepared under the direction of D. H. Baneth and S. D. Goitein. Not concerned with the main part of the manuscripts found in the Cairo Geniza, mostly from the 10th to 13th centuries , but rather with the documentary material, which constitutes a primary source of information for Jewish history in the High Middle Ages, as well as the social history of the Mediterranean basin in general. (BIB-1-3). (ID #17636) $35.00.
ART & PHOTOGRAPHY
9. • Aptecker, George. BEYOND DESPAIR. Cloth, 1980. Morristown, N. J.: Kahn and Kahan Pub. Co. , 8vo. 71 pages. Illustrated. Signed by the artist. 'Beyond Despair' is an exploration through symbolic photographs, selected quotes and an introduction by Elie Wiesel, of the words 'Final Solution' and an even known as the Holocaust..."-From the dustjacket. SUBJECT (S): Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) - Pictorial works; Photography, Artistic. Slight bumping to edges. Colored endpapers. Dustjacket has some creasing. Copied sheet with reviews of book placed within cover. In Very Good condition. (ART-1-12). (ID #17615) $25.00.
10. • Artists Colony, Safad. THE ARTISTS COLONY, SAFAD. Cloth , 1971. Safad, Israel: Artists Colony, Safad, 8vo. 87 pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Artists - Israel - Tsefat; Jewish artists - Israel; Artists - Israel; Sculptors - Israel; Painters - Israel. OCLC lists 8 copies worldwide. Dustjacket is bumped. Tearing to upper right corner. Ex-library with minimal markings. Otherwise in Very Good condition. (ART-1-14). (ID #17617) $20.00.
11. • Benoschofsky, Ilona; Scheiber, Sándor. THE JEWISH MUSEUM OF BUDAPEST. Cloth, 1987. Budapest: Corvina, 8vo. 241 pages. Illustrated. Its one of the major museums of its kind in Europe. With the help of original documents, manuscripts and photographs, the exhibits presents the history of the Jews of Hungary and an outstanding collection of Judaica, textiles and old illustrated manuscripts. SUBJECT (S): Jews - Hungary; Judaism - Liturgical objects - Catalogs; Jewish art and symbolism - Catalogs; Art, Jewish - Catalogs; Artes graficas. OCLC lists 15 copies worldwide. Colored endpapers. Slight bumping to edges. Dustjacket is glued to cover. Some rippling to textblock. In Very Good condition. (ART-1-8). (ID #17611) $20.00.
12. • Braunstein, Susan L. PERSONAL VISION, THE JACOBO AND ASEA FURMAN COLLECTION OF JEWISH CEREMONIAL ART: THE JEWISH MUSEUM, NEW YORK, JULY 2-OCTOBER 6, 1985. Paper Wrappers , 1985. New York, N. Y.: Jewish Museum, 8vo. 40 pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Judaism - Liturgical objects - Exhibitions; Jewish art and symbolism - Exhibitions; Ceremonial objects - Private collections - Chile - Santiago - Exhibitions; Furman, Jacobo - Art collections - Exhibitions; Furman, Asea - Art collections - Exhibitions. OCLC lists 22 copies worldwide. Very minor shelf wear. Pictures clear and binding tight. In Very Good condition. (ART-2-4). (ID #17623) $75.00.
13. • Davis, Eli; Davis, Elise. JEWISH FOLK ART OVER THE AGES: A COLLECTOR'S CHOICE, WITH 154 ORIGINAL ILLUS., 22 IN COLOR. Cloth , 1977. Jerusalem: R. Mass, 8vo. 71 pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Art objects, Jewish; Folk art, Jewish. Gilt lettering on spine. Dustjacket is chipped and bumped. Back cover is torn three-quarters of the way down. Ex-library with minimal markings. Very slight bumping to edges of book. Otherwise in Very Good condition. (ART-2-9). (ID #17628) $25.00.
14. • Gauthier, Maximilien. DURAND-ROSÉ. Paper 1945. Wrappers , Paris: L'Office français du livre, 8vo. 29, xxviii pages. Illustrated. In French. Inscribed by Durand-Rosé on front endpaper, in French, to a Monsieur Richard Sutman. Durand-Rosé was an important 20th Century French Jewish artist. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide. (Bibliotheque d'art & d'archeologie - Rcon, Bibliotheque d'art & d'archeologie) Some chipping and creasing to cover. Tear up 1/3 of cover. CN|Otherwise in Very Good condition. (ART-2-13). (ID #17633) $50.00.
• Golnitzki, Heshil. "BEMAHZOR HAYAMIM": (RELIGIOUS AND SECULAR CUSTOMS
IN JEWISH CEREMONIAL ART AND FOLKLORE). Cloth, 1963. Hefah: Hug yedide
ha-folklor ha-Yehudi, 8vo. 78, xv pages. Illustrated. In Hebrew.
SUBJECT (S): Judaism - Customs and practices; Jewish art and symbolism;
Judaism - Liturgical objects; Jews - Folklore. OCLC lists 6 copies
worldwide. Very minor shelfwear to book and dustjacket. Markings from
previous owner. Pamphlet from the Heshil & Rivka Golnitzki Museum
placed inside front cover. Gilt lettering on spine. In Very Good
condition. (ART-1-7). (ID #17610) $50.00.
16. • Mann, Vivian B; Grass, Gunter; Gutmann, Joseph; Schwartz, Sheila. DANZIG 1939, TREASURES OF A DESTROYED COMMUNITY: THE JEWISH MUSEUM, NEW YORK. Cloth , 1980. Detroit: Published by Wayne State University Press for the Jewish Museum, New York, 8vo. 141 pages. Illustrated. Ceremonial art & history of the Danzig Jewish community. SUBJECT (S): Judaism - Liturgical objects - Exhibitions; Jews - Poland - Gdansk - History; Religieuze voorwerpen; Joden. Silver gilt lettering on spine. Portrait on endpapers. Slight bumping to corners. In Very Good condition. (ART-2-8). (ID #17627) $20.00.
17. • Ilan, Eli; Kohansky, Mendel; Faye, Elliot. SCULPTURES OF ELI ILAN. London: O'Hana Gallery, Hard Cover. 1974. 8vo. 98 pages. Illustrated. Slight bumping to edges and spine. Penned note on front endcover. Some shelf wear to back of book. Otherwise in Very Good condition. (ART-1-10). (ID #17613) $30.00.
• Jewish Museum (New York, N. Y. ). INAUGURAL EXHIBITION: THE GIVING OF
THE LAW AND THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, JEWISH ART OF LATE ANTIQUITY, WORKS
OF CONTEMPORARY ARTISTS, THE TORAH IN SYNAGOGUE ART. Paper Wrappers ,
1944. New York, N. Y.: Jewish Theological Seminary of America, 8vo. 32
pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Art, Jewish - Exhibitions; Liturgical
objects - Judaism - Exhibitions. Very Good Condition. (ART-2-7). (ID
19. • Kampf, Avram. JEWISH EXPERIENCE IN THE ART OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. Cloth , 1984. S. Hadley, Mass.: Bergin & Garvey, 8vo. 240 pages. Illustrated. An examination of the experience of being Jewish during the twentieth century through art by examining works by the likes of Max Weber, Ben Shahn, Marc Chagall, and many others. SUBJECT (S): Art, Jewish; Art, Modern - 20th century; Beeldende kunsten; Joden. Gilt lettering on cover and spine. Slight bumping to corners of book and dustjacket. Includes several sheets describing the book, including an article from the New York Times. Book and dustjacket in Very Good condition. (ART-1-17). (ID #17619) $20.00.
20. • Kleeblatt, Norman L; Chevlowe, Susan. PAINTING A PLACE IN AMERICA: JEWISH ARTISTS IN NEW YORK, 1900-1945: A TRIBUTE TO THE EDUCATIONAL ALLIANCE ART SCHOOL. Paper Wrappers , 1991. New York: Jewish Museum ; Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 8vo. 208 pages. Illustrated. Contents: "Americanizing" the greenhorns / Irving Howe - An explosion of creativity: Jews and American art in the twentieth century / Milton W. Brown - From Hester Street to Fifty-seventh Street: Jewish-American artists in New York / Matthew Baigell - Painting a place in America / Norman L. Kleeblatt and Susan Chevlowe - Artists' biographies / Susan Chevlowe, Irene Z. Schenck, Emily C. Whittemore. The catalogue for the exhibition documenting the experiences of first generation Jewish-American artists and surveys their impact on American art. SUBJECT (S): Jewish artists - New York (State) - New York - Exhibitions; Art, American - New York (State) - New York - 20th century - Exhibitions; Artistes juifs - New York (État) - New York - Expositions; Art - New York (État) - New York - 20e siècle - Expositions; Art américain - New York (État) - New York - Expositions; Schilderkunst; Joden. Minor bumping to edges. Some shelf wear to edges and cover. Otherwise in Very Good condition. (ART-2-12). (ID #17631) $20.00.
21. • Koelbl, Herlinde. JÜDISCHE PORTRAITS: PHOTOGRAPHIEN UND INTERVIEWS. Paper Wrappers , 1989. Frankfurt am Main: S. Fischer, 8vo. 288 pages. Contains Portraits. In German. SUBJECT (S): Jews, European - Interview; Jews, European - Portraits; Jews - Europe; Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) ; Joden. Some creasing to all corners and subsequent pages. Creasing to bottom of spine. Otherwise in Good condition. (ART-1-13). (ID #17616) $25.00.
22. • Lipszyc, Wisna. ALBUM ZYDOWSKI: JEWISH ALBUM. Cloth , 1993. Warszawa: Wydawn, 4to. 120 pages. Illustrated. In Polish. SUBJECT (S): Judaism in art; Jews in art; Bible in art. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Illustrated endpapers. Some bumping to corners of book and edges of dustjacket. Otherwise in Very Good condition. (ART-2-1/1-16). (ID #17620) $20.00.
23. • Lydis, Mariette; Madrus, J. C. LE CANTIQUE DES CANTIQUES. Cloth, 1990. [Paris]: Peintres du Livre, 8vo. Paged. Illustrated. In French. SUBJECT (S): Hooglied (bijbelboek). OCLC lists 8 copies worldwide. Cover box is textured and shows some bumping to edges and corners. Book itself shows very little shelf wear. Gilt lettering on spine and cover. Textured stamp on front. In Very Good condition. (ART-1-6). (ID #17609) $40.00.
24. • Migne, J. -P; Blanchard, Théophile. ATLAS GEOGRAPHIQUE ET ICONOGRAPHIQUE DU COURS COMPLET D'ECRITURE SAINTE: GRAVÉ PAR VINGT ARTISTES DISTINGUÉS DE PARIS. Cloth, 1864. Paris: Migne, 8vo. 75 pages. Contains fold-out maps. In French. Illustrations relating to the Bible such as numerous maps, plans of religious sites such as the Tower of Babel, the arc of the covenant, Noah's ark,. SUBJECT (S): Bible - Geography - Maps; Bible - Antiquities; Bible - Illustrations. OCLC lists 10 copies worldwide. Staining to pages. Bumping to edges and corners. Some creasing to pages. Small hole in last two pages. Otherwise in Good condition. (ART-1-1). (ID #17604) $200.00.
25• Mendzshitski, Moris; Eluard, Paul; Vercors. Translated by Mifa Martin. TO THE MEMORY OF THE MARTYR FIGHTERS OF THE WARSAW GHETTO. Paris, Grou-Radenez  pages of text, plus 31 tissued plates (Complete) . Portfolio in matching faux suede slipcase. 4to (large). 36 cm. Collection of powerful pen and ink drawings on heavy paper, a sampling are shown above and below (click for larger image). "These drawings... are dedicated to the memory of my son Claude, shot by the Nazis in Nice on July 22nd 1944." Limited numbered edition (how many?). Translated from the Yiddish, Dem ondenk fun di martirer. Not to be confused with the mass-market book of the same name or the much more common French language edition. SUBJECT(S) Descriptor: Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) Poland Warsaw Pictorial works. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) , in art. OCLC lists only 4 copies worldwide (Yale, JTSA, Yeshiva, Queen Mary Univ of London), only 3 in the US and none outside of the Northeast. Near Fine Condition in slightly worn slipcase. (ID# 17600) $200.00. Additional scans at www.danwymanbooks.com/bibliography/mendzshitski.htm
26. • Mihailovic, Milica. JUDAICA IN YUGOSLAVIA. Paper Wrappers , 1990. Gornji Milanovac: Decje Novine ; Beograd: Proex Prosveta, Folio. 88 pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Jewish art and symbolism - Yugoslavia - Exhibitions; Jewish embroidery - Yugoslavia - Exhibitions; Jodendom; Liturgische voorwerpen. Slight bumping to edges. Some creasing to lower corner. Otherwise in Very Good condition. (ART-2-2). (ID #17621) $20.00.
(Lieberman, Max) Pauli, Gustav. MAX LIEBERMANN: DIE NETZFLICKERINNEN.
Paper Wrappers , 1921. Hamburg: Gedruckt im Auftrage des Herrn Dr. Max
Emden, 8vo. 9 pages. Illustrated. In German. OCLC lists only 1 copy
worldwide (Cambridge Univ). Description of condition. (ART-2-3). (ID
28. • Rosner, Jakob. A PALESTINE PICTURE BOOK. Cloth , 1947. New York, Schocken Books, 8vo. 141 pages. Illustrated. Photos of the Palestine area before the state of Israel was established. SUBJECT (S): Palestine - Pictorial Works. Gilt lettering on spine and cover. Slight bumping and creasing to edges of dustjacket. Very minor shelf wear to book, Very Good Condition. (ART-2-10). (ID #17629) $20.00.
• Rubenovitz, Mignon Levine. ALTARS OF MY FATHERS. Cloth , 1957. New
York, National Womens's League of the United Synagogue of America, 8vo.
92 pages. Illustrated. Lovely book of photos and descriptions of rare
Jewish ritual objects from a well known collection. SUBJECT (S):
Worship in the Bible. Jews - Antiquities. OCLC lists 15 copies
worldwide. Gilt lettering on spine and cover. Some sunning to cover.
Very minimal bumping to bottom of spine. In Very Good condition.
(ART-2-13). (ID #17632) $20.00.
30. • Sandmel, Samuel. AFTER THE GHETTO; JEWS IN WESTERN CULTURE, ART, AND INTELLECT. Paper Wrappers , 1990. Syracuse, N. Y. , Syracuse University, 8vo. 20 pages. The B. G. Rudolph Lectures in Judaic Studies. Introduction by A. Leland Jamison. Sandmel (1911-1979) was a “biblical scholar. He served as Hillel Foundation rabbi in North Carolina from 1939 to 1942 and at Yale from 1946 to 1949. Among the many honorary degrees bestowed upon him was the President's Fellowship, by Brown University. At the time of his death he was Helen A. Regenstein Professor of Religion of the Chicago Divinity School. He was also an editor of the Oxford Study Edition of the New English Bible. Sandmel was an internationally recognized authority on the relationship between Judaism and the New Testament” [Heinz Hartman in EJ] SUBJECT(S): Jews - Politics and government; Jews - Social conditions. Some creasing to bottom right corner and subsequent pages. Binding is tight and text is clean. In Very Good condition. (ART-2-11). (ID #17630) $20.00.
31. Schreckenberg, Heinz; Schubert, Kurt.JEWISH HISTORIOGRAPHY AND ICONOGRAPHY IN EARLY AND MEDIEVAL CHRISTIANITY.Assen: Van Gorcum; Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1992. Hard Cover. 8vo. 307 pages. Illustrated. Josephus in early Christian literature and medieval Christian art; II. Jewish pictorial traditions in early Christian art. With an intrpduction by David Flusser. Schubert Kurt, a Catholic, was born in Vienna. He was professor of Jewish culture and religion at Vienna University and founder and head of its Institute for Judaism. Chairman of the Austrian Christian-Jewish Friendship League, he was appointed to eliminate anti-Semitic references in Catholic textbooks and passion plays. Among Schubert's published works are: Religion des nachbiblischen Judentums (1955), Israel—Staat der Hoffnung (1957), Die Gemeinde vom Toten Meer (1958, Eng. transl. Dead Sea Community, 1959), and a number of books dealing with Christianity. [Editorial Staff Encyclopaedia Judaica]. SUBJECT(S): Art, Early Christian; Christian literature, Early; Christian art and symbolism -Medieval, 500-1500; Jews in art; Geschiedschrijving; Iconografie; Jodendom; Invloed; Christendom. Minor shelf wear. Binding tight and text clean. Images are clear. In Very Good condition. (ART-1-2). $25.00
32. • (Struck, Herman) Schwarz, Israel. JÜDISCHE BÜCHEREI: ZIONS-KLÄNGE: RELIGIÖSE DICHTUNGEN. Cloth, 1920. Berlin: Verlag für Jüdische Kunst und Kultur F. Gurlitt, 8vo. 22 pages. 1 of 100 numbered copies. Illustrated with drawings by Herman Struck. In German. Schwarz was a Cologne rabbi. SUBJECT (S): German poetry - 19th century; German poetry - Jewish authors; Jewish religious poetry, German. OCLC lists 10 copies worldwide. Some slight shelf wear. Previous owner's shelf label on cover, boards bowing slightly, otherwise Very Good condition. (ART-1-3) . (ID #17606) $175.00.
34. • Stern, Jossi; Haezrahl, Yehudah. RISHUMIN VE-TSIYURIM. Cloth , 1965. Jerusalem: Israeli Pub. Institute, 8vo. xx pages. Illustrated. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Drawing, Israeli. OCLC lists 16 copies worldwide. Creasing and chipping to dustjacket. Illustrated endpapers. Very minor bumping to edges of book. In Very Good condition. (ART-1-15). (ID #17618) $20.00.
35. • Strauss, Heinrich. DIE KUNST DER JUDEN IM WANDEL DER ZEIT UND UMWELT; DAS JUDENPROBLEM IM SPIEGEL DER KUNST. Cloth, 1972. Tübingen: E. Wasmuth, 8vo. 142 pages, 40 pages of plates. Illustrated. In German. SUBJECT (S Art, Jewish; Jewish art and symbolism. Some bumping to edges of dustjacket. Binding tight, text is clean. No markings to images. In Very Good condition. (ART-1-4). (ID #17607) $25.00.
36. • Tumarkin, Igael. TUMARKIN, BY TUMARKIN, 1957-1970. Cloth, 1970. Hadera, Israel: American Israeli Paper Mills, 8vo. 147 pages. Illustrated. TUMARKIN, Israel painter, sculptor, and stage-designer. Tumarkin was born in Dresden, Germany, and was taken to Palestine in 1935. He learned stage design at the Bertolt Brecht theater in East Berlin. While in Paris, Tumarkin produced small sculptures and reliefs, dominated by a feeling for the raw material and enriched with symbolic and abstract elements. He was to some extent influenced by the modern Spanish school. From 1962 his researches in plastic values took on a more definite form. He began to intensify his use of the symbol on an abstract background and developed bold forms. His work as a painter and sculptor influenced the younger generation of Israelis in the 1960s. Tumarkin's themes are concerned with war, peace, and injustice. He envisaged the erection of a series of monuments to express these ideas. Some of the monuments have been constructed, such as the peace monument in Jerusalem (1966) , and others in Ashdod, Kiryat Yam, and Nazareth. Gilt lettering on cover. Very slight bumping to edges. Covers are slightly bowed. Otherwise in Very Good condition. (ART-1-11). (ID #17614) $25.00.