Dan Wyman Books, LLC
|Specialists in Out-of-Print Jewish, Holocaust, & Radical Imprints in All Languages|
|We find Good Homes for Nice Jewish Books|
|Home||Catalogs||Search||Sell Your Books||About Us||Contact||Links|
WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE...
A Short List of Titles in Christian Hebraism,
Published between 1556-1989
7. • Adler, Iacobvs Georgivs Christianvs . IVDAEORVM CODICIS SACRI RITE SCRIBENDI LEGES: AD RECTE AESTIMANDOS CODICES MANV SCRIPTOS ANTIQVOS PERVTILES Hamburg:
6. • Genebrard, Gilbert, L’Huillier, Pierre, Le Duc, Michel. PSALMI DAVIDIS, VULGATA EDITIONE: CALENDARIO HEBRAEO, SYRO, GRAECO, LATINO, HYMNIS, ARGUMENTIS, & COMMENTARIIS GENUINUM & PRIMARIUM PSALMORUM SENSUM, HEBRAISMOSQUE BREVITER APERIENTIBUS, A G. GENEBRARDO... INSTRUCTI. Paris, 1581.
9. • Buxdorfius, Johannes, Hermannus Germbergius, Ludovicus Carretus . SYNAGOGA IVDAICA; HOC EST, SCHOLA IVDÆORVM,: IN QVA NATIVITAS, INSTITUTIO, RELIGIO ... IPSORUM E LIBRIS EORUNDEM Hanover: 1604.
Welcome to our latest catalog, A Short List of Titles in Christian Hebraism, Published between 1556-1989. Clicking on any image will give you a full size detailed scan of the item.
Please also search our online inventory of over 6000 titles in Jewish Studies we have listed on line at www.DanWymanBooks.com. You'll also find interesting and unusual titles in related and overlapping fields in our recent catalogs, all online at www.DanWymanBooks.com
As always, every item is offered
subject to prior sale and is 100% returnable for any reason. Domestic shipping
is generally $5.00 for the first item and $1.00 for each additional item.
International shipments are at cost, generally $12.00 for smaller-size items and
$25.00 for larger size items.
All prices are in US Dollars. We prefer payment by credit card, but also accept checks in US funds or www.paypal.com. We will also gladly invoice your institution. Please do not order via fax at this time.
To order, please email us with your
requests to [email protected].
PLEASE ALSO LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE OUR LISTS OF OUT OF PRINT JUDAICA TITLES by emailing us at [email protected]
And feel free to forward this list to other colleagues who may be interested.
Many thanks to Anna Chapman and Elana Steinberg for their work on this catalog.
We look forward to hearing from you.
For an excellent online exhibit on Christian Hebraism, please see the University of Pennsylvania Center for Judaic Studies Library's "Hebraica Veritas?" at www.library.upenn.edu/exhibits/cajs/exhibit/
STUDIES OF CHRISTIAN HEBRAISM
1. • Berlin, Charles; and Aaron Katchen, editors. CHRISTIAN HEBRAISM: THE STUDY OF JEWISH CULTURE BY CHRISTIAN SCHOLARS IN MEDIEVAL AND EARLY MODERN TIMES. PROCEEDINGS OF A COLLOQUIUM AND CATALOGUE OF AN EXHIBITION. ARRANGED BY THE JUDAICA DEPARTMENT OF THE HARVARD COLLEGE LIBRARY ON THE OCCASION OF HARVARD'S 350TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION. Paperback, 8vo, Cambridge, Harvard University Library, 1988. Paper Wrappers, Oblong 4to, 58 pages. Includes illustrations & facsimiles. 22 x 28 cm. Contents include: The Ambiguous bond, Hebrew Bible and Old Testament, by Krister Stendahl; The Medieval background of Christian Hebraism, by Marc E. Saperstein; Christian Hebraism from the Renaissance to the Enlightenment, by Aaron L. Katchen; etc. Exhibition catalogue arranged and prepared by Charles Berlin and Aaron L. Katchen; with text by Aaron L. Katchen. "Colloquium, May 5, 1986; Exhibition, May 1986". Subject: Hebrew language -- Study and teaching -- History. Judaism -- Relations -- Christianity. Christianity and other religions -- Judaism. Humanism. Hebraists, Christian. wear. Very good condition. (BIB-9-19) (ID #23827) $15.00.
2. • Jones, G. Lloyd. THE DISCOVERY OF HEBREW IN TUDOR ENGLAND: A THIRD LANGUAGE. Manchester University Press, 1983. Hardcover, 8vo., 311 pages. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language -- Study and teaching -- Great Britain. Judaism -- Relations -- Christianity. Christianity and other religions -- Judaism. Talen. Hebreeuws. Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- 16th century. Includes index and bibliography. “ The claim that Hebrew studies permeated sixteenth century English intellectual life…is considered in this book within a threefold framework: the influences which lay behind such studies, the motives that prompted them, and the opportunities for their development. Very good condition in Very good jacket. (BIB-23-3) $30.00
3. • Hailperin, Herman. RASHI AND THE CHRISTIAN SCHOLARS. University of Pittsburgh Press, 1963. Cloth, 8vo, xvii, 379 pages. First Edition. SUBJECT(S): Rashi, 1040-1105; Nicholas, of Lyra, ca. 1270-1349. Bible -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. -- History. Includes Bibliographical references in "Notes" (p. 267-358). Very good condition in very good jacket. (BIB-23-4) $30.00
4. • Mckane, William. SELECTED CHRISTIAN HEBRAISTS Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1989. Cloth, 8vo., 268 pages. First Edition. SUBJECT(S): Christian Hebraists. Old Testament scholars. Oudtestamentici. Exegese. Oudhebreeuws. Hébraïsants chrétiens. Exégètes de l'Ancien Testament. Bible. Hebrew.; Interpretation, history. Includes bibliography and indexes. “The Christian Hebraists selected for examination are: Andrew of St. Victor, William Fulke, Gregory Martin, Richard Simon and Alexander Geddes, all of whom contributed in different ways to the reception of the Hebrew Bible in the Christian Church. All were strongly influenced by Jerome and Origen, who supplied the foundation on which subsequent study of the Hebrew Bible in the Christian Church rests. McKane is concerned with how the exercise of critical methods can be reconciled with the assumption that the Hebrew Bible is a Christian book. Focusing on these five Hebraists, each of whom had different influences and concerns, McKane reviews the shifts in the Church's understanding of the nature and authority of its scriptures, particularly the Old Testament. Thus he shows how the beginnings of the critical scholarship of modern times is connected with, and has grown out of, that change in understanding. This is the first book on this subject that draws together such fields of scholarship as patristics, biblical scholarship, and translation problems.”(Publisher’s description). Near Fine condition. (BIB-23-2) $35.00
CHRISTIAN HEBRAIST IMPRINTS
5. • Bythner, Victorinus. LYRA PROPHETICA DAVIDIS REGIS, SIVE ANALYSIS CRITICO-PRACTICA PSALMORUM:IN QUA OMNES & SINGULAE VOCES HEBRAEAE IN PSALTERIO CONTENTAE ... AD REGULA ARTIS REVOCANTUR .... CUI AD CALCEM ADDITA EST BREVIS INSTITUTIO LINGUAE HEBRAEAE & CHALDAEAE. OPUS NOVUM, NEC ANTE IN TALI FORMA TENTATUM ... Tiguri: ex Typographeo Bodmeriano, 1685. Bound in period Vellum, 12mo, 592, 160, 96 pages. In Hebrew and Latin.
“Critical Analysis of King David’s Psalms.” Victorinus Bythner or Buttner (1605?-1670?), of Polish origin, was a Professor of Hebrew Language. A study of the Book of Psalms divided into three sections. In the first, Bythner analyzes the roots of the Hebrew words, chapter by chapter, verse by verse, next, he provides an alphabetical index of the Hebrew words and finally, a study of Hebrew grammar. “Auf dem 2. im Inneren vorhandenen Titelbl.: ... Lingua eruditorum, sive institutio methodica linguae sanctae ... Cui addita est Introductio ad linguam Chaldaeam Veteris Testamenti ... Tiguri, ex Typographeo Bodmeriano….Brevis institutio linguae Hebraeae et Chaldaeae.” OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide, none in the US of this edition. Inscription on inside front cover. Bumped corners. Light staining to pages. Very good condition. (Bib-22-1) $425.00
6. • Genebrard, Gilbert, L’Huillier, Pierre, Le Duc, Michel. PSALMI DAVIDIS, VULGATA EDITIONE: CALENDARIO HEBRAEO, SYRO, GRAECO, LATINO, HYMNIS, ARGUMENTIS, & COMMENTARIIS GENUINUM & PRIMARIUM PSALMORUM SENSUM, HEBRAISMOSQUE BREVITER APERIENTIBUS, A G. GENEBRARDO... INSTRUCTI. Parisiis, Oliva Petri L’Huillier, 1581. Bound in full leather with raised bands, 12mo, 96, 754, 13 pages, illustration, 8 inches. In Latin.
SUBJECT(S): Descriptor: Psalters -- France -- Texts -- Early works to 1800. Genre/Form: Psalters -- France -- Paris -- 16th century. Bible. O.T. Psalms – Commentaries. Note(s): Vulgate ed. par Gilbert Genebrard. Le commentaire qui suit chaque psaume reprend un cours professe par G. Genebrard a l’universite de Paris en 1577-1578. Marque de Pierre L’Huillier au titre. Titre et texte en r. et n. Vignette sur bois a l’effigie de David a la p. 1. Other Titles: Bible. latin. 1581. Genebrard (1537–1597), was a “French theologian and Hebraist. Born in Riom, Auvergne, Genebrard, a pupil of the Provencal convert Abraham de Lunel. Unlike many of his contemporaries, he was in general opposed to the Kabbalah. From 1569 Genebrard was professor of Hebrew and Bible at the College de France and from 1593 he was archbishop of Aix-en-Provence. His outspoken support for the Catholic League – which opposed Henry of Navarre, a Protestant – incurred official wrath after the latter's accession (as Henry IV). Genebrard died in disgrace. As a Hebraist, he was considered an expert on the correct pronunciation of the "holy tongue." He was a prolific writer, translator, and editor: Steinschneider lists about two dozen of his publications” (Silverman in EJ 2007). OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Inscription on first blank page and last blank page. Bumped edges and corners. Inside hinge repaired. Otherwise very good condition. (Bib-22-2) $600.00
7. • Adler, Iacobvs Georgivs Christianvs . IVDAEORVM CODICIS SACRI RITE SCRIBENDI LEGES: AD RECTE AESTIMANDOS CODICES MANV SCRIPTOS ANTIQVOS PERVTILES Hamburg: Bohn, 1779. Hardcover, 8vo, 24 pages. First edition. In Hebrew and Latin.
SUBJECT(S): Title Subject: Talmud. Minor tractates. Sofrim -- Commentaries. Other Titles: Talmud. Minor tractates. Soferim. 1779; Masekhet Sofrim. “E libello Thalmudico סופרים מסכת in Latinum conversas et adnotationibus necessariis explicatas eruditis examinandas tradit Jacobus Georgius Christianus Adler.” Hebrew text, with parallel Latin tranlation. OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. Bumped corners and edges. Light yellowing to pages. Wear to spine. Good condition. (Bib-22-3) $300.00
8. • Buxtorf, Johann . JOHANNIS BUXTORFI LEXICON HEBRAICUM ET CHALDAICUM Londini : Typis Jacobi Junii & Mosis Bell, sumptibus Richardi Whitakeri & Samuelis Cartwright, 1646. Hardcover, 12mo, 16, 999, 70 pages. In Hebrew.
Johannes Buxtorf I (or the Elder) (1564-1629) served as professor of Hebrew at the University of Basle. According to Moritz Kayserling, he was the “principal founder of Rabbinical study among Christian scholars” (JE vol. 3, p. 444). His colossal Lexicon Chaldaicum Talmudicum was completed by his son, Johannes the Younger. Though unreliable, it served generations of Christian scholars as a guide to their studies in Talmud and rabbinics. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language -- Dictionaries -- Latin. Other Titles: Lexicon Hebraicum et Chaldaicum. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (Huntington library art & Botanical Garden, University of Sydney, National Library of Israel). Lightly bumped corners. Wear to title page, otherwise Very good condition. (Bib-22-4) $375.00
9. • Buxdorfius, Johannes, Hermannus Germbergius, Ludovicus Carretus . SYNAGOGA IVDAICA; HOC EST, SCHOLA IVDÆORVM,: IN QVA NATIVITAS, INSTITUTIO, RELIGIO ... IPSORUM E LIBRIS EORUNDEM Hanoviæ [Hanau]: apud Guilielmum Antonium, 1604. Bound in period Vellum, 12mo, 24, 644, 60 pages, 12 inches. First edition in Latin, the most important edition.
"Johannes Buxtorf the elder taught Hebrew at Basel University from 1590-1629 and was justly known as one of the finest European Hebrew scholars of his day. His book Jewish Synagogue (Juden Schul, Basel, 1603) as one of the first serious attempts by a Christian scholar to portray traditional Judaism in a realistic way, explaining the laws governing Jewish life from cradle to grave, the Jewish week and the Jewish religious calendar using quotations from Joseph Karo's Shulhan Aruk and Judeo-German popular works to back up his assertions. His goal in writing the book, however, was not to commend Jews for their faithfulness to Jewish law, but to criticize them for their departures from biblical law and practice. The Center for Advanced Judaic Studies library [at Penn] holds two different Latin translations of this work, but the more important of these was printed in Hanau [i.e. this imprint] in 1604, and reprinted in 1614 and 1624. This text was the one which made Buxtorf's impressive analysis available not only to the learned Christian world, but also to R. Leon Modena of Venice who wrote his famous Historia de riti hebraici (1637) as a refutation of Buxtorf's work" (Stephen Burnett, upenn.edu, 2010). Other Titles: “Synagoga Judaica; hoc est, schola Judaeorum. Enth. außerdem: Epistola de conversione eius ad Christum. Ludovicus Carretus. - Vorlageform des Erscheinungsvermerks: Hanoviæ Apud Guilielmum Antonium, M D C I V.” OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (University of Groningen, Universitatsbibliothek Heidelberg), none in the US. Repair to binding. Bumped corners and edges. Otherwise good condition. (Bib-22-5) $1000.00
10. • Buxtorf, Johann, Johannes Leusden. JOHANNIS BUXTORFII EPITOME GRAMMATICAE HEBRAEAE: BREVITER & METHODICE AD PUBLICUM SCHOLARUM USUM PROPOSITA: ADJECTA SUCCINCTA INSTRUCTIO DE MUTATIONE PUNCTORUM VOCALIUM, ET TEXTUUM HEBRAICORUM LATINA INTERPRETATIO Lugduni Batavorum: Apud Samuelem Luchtmans, 1716. Bound in full leather with raised bands, 12mo, 16, 176 pages, 16 cm. In Latin.
SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language -- Grammar. Note(s): Title vignette. Paged from back to front. Other Titles: Epitome grammaticae Hebraeae. OCLC lists 26 copies worldwide. Wear to cover spine. Bumped corners and edges. Wear to binding. Good condition. (Bib-22-6). $325.00
11. • Buxtorf, Johann, 1564-1629. JOHANNIS BUXTORFI LEXICON HEBRAICUM ET CHALDAICUM: COMPLECTENS OMNES VOCES ... QUAE IN SACRIS BIBLIIS, HEBRAEÂ, & EX PARTE CALDAEÂ LINGUÂ SCRIPTIS, EXTANT. INTERPRETATIONIS FIDE, EXEMPLORUM BIBLICORUM COPIÂ, LOCORUM PLURIMORUM DIFFICILIUM EX VARIIS HEBRAEORUM COMMENTARIIS EXPLICATIONE, AUCTUM & ILLUSTRATUM. [Basileae, typis Conradi Waldkirchi?], [1615?]. Bound in attractive modern cloth, 16mo., , 960,  pages. In Hebrew and Latin.
LACKS TITLE PAGE. Preface by Buxtorf reads 1615, but date and location of printing uncertain, probably around 1615 based on the paper and type. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language -- Dictionaries -- Latin. Binding tight and solid, rag paper still in very good condition, faded ink writing on edges of pages, light staining to corner of last 150 pages or so. Very good condition. (BIB-23-1) $375.00
12. • RVDIMENTA GRAMMATICÆ HEBRÆÆ AD VSUM SEMINARIJ PATAVINI. Venetiis [Venice]: Typis Vendraminis, 1681. Hardcover, 12mo, 176, 107 pages. First edition. In Latin.
SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language -- Grammar. Other Titles: “Rudimenta Grammaticae Hebraeae Ad usum Seminarii Patavini.” OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin, University Forschungsbibliothek Erfurt G, Yale). Bumped corners and edges of pages. Light staining to pages. Very good condition. (Bib-22-7) $400.00
13. • Pasini, Giuseppe. דקדוק לשון הקדש. DIKDUK LESHON HA-KODESH, HOC EST, GRAMMATICA LINGUÆ SANCTÆ INSTITUTIO: CUM VOCUM OMNIUM ANOMALARUM INDICE & EXPLICATIONE. Patavii: Typis seminarii, 1790. Bound in period ragboard wrappers, 12mo, 199, 3, xiv pages,17 cm. In Latin.
SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language -- Grammar -- Early works to 1800. In Latin and Hebrew. Other Titles: “Grammatica linguæ sanctæ institutio; Rudimenta grammat. Hebr.” OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide (Duke, Manchester, National Library of Israel, Harvard). Wear to cover binding. Bumped corners and edges. Good condition. (Bib-22-8) $300.00
14. • Otho, Johann Heinrich . IOH. HENRICI OTHONIS, HEL. BERNATIS, IN ACAD. LAUS. PHIL. PROF., LEXICON RABBINICO-PHILOLOGICUM Genevae: Sumptibus Ioh. Herm. Widerhold, 1675. Bound in period Vellum, 12mo, 80, 682, 54 pages, 18 cm. First edition. In Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, includes Otho's Latin translation of the Mishnah Tractate Shekalim with parallel Hebrew text.
SUBJECT(S): Descriptor: Latin language -- Dictionaries -- Hebrew. Hebrew language -- Dictionaries -- Latin. Engraved title page vignette (printer’s device), head- and tail-pieces, initials. Includes indexes. Added half title page. Other Titles: “Lexicon rabbinico-philologicum; Lexicon rabbinico-philologicvm, in qvo ordine alphabetico notantvr et referuntur praecipua; Mishnah; Shekalim;” Hebrew; 1675; Mishnah; Shekalim; Latin; Otho; 1675. Ex-library with usual markings. Staining to cover. Bumped corners and edges. Very good condition. (Bib-22-9) $400.00
15. • Pagninus, Sanctus. Fransciscus Vatablus . LIBER PSALMORVM DAVIDIS: TRALATIO DUPLEX, VETUS & NOUA Parisiis: Oliva Rob. Stephani, 1556. Bound in full leather with raised bands, 12mo, 558 pages, First edition. In Latin.
Other Titles: Bijbel. 39, O.T. Ps. lat.; Liber psalmorum Davidis: tralatio duplex, vetus et nova. OCLC list 3 copies worldwide (Bibliotheek Universiteit van Amsterdam, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, Universiteit Maastricht). Rear hinge repaired. Bumped corners and edges. Otherwise very good condition. (Bib-22-10) $600.00