Dan Wyman Books, Inc.
Open Daily by Appointment
"We Find Good Homes for Nice Jewish Books"
A SHORT LIST OF HAGADOTH
2. • THE SARAJEVO HAGGADAH (FACSIMILE) . Beograd, 1983
19. • Freedman, Jacob. POLYCHROME HISTORICAL HAGGADAH FOR PASSOVER, HAGGADAH. Springfield, MA, 1974.
18. • Eisenstein, Judah David. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH: Nyu-York, 1928.
As we prepare for Pesach, we are happy to offer you this short list of Hagadoth and related titles from our holdings.
Please also search our online inventory of over 6000 titles in Jewish Studies we have listed on line at www.DanWymanBooks.com, or search by author, title or keyword on our Nice Jewish Bookfinder. You'll also find interesting and unusual titles in related and overlapping fields in our recent catalogs, all online at www.DanWymanBooks.com
As always, every item is offered subject
to prior sale and is 100% returnable for any reason. Domestic shipping is
generally $5.00 for the first item and $1.00 for each additional item.
International shipments are at cost, generally $12.00 for smaller-size items and
$25.00 for larger size items.
All prices are in US Dollars. We prefer payment by credit card, but also accept checks in US funds or www.paypal.com. We will also gladly invoice your institution. Please do not order via fax at this time.
To order, please email us with your
requests to [email protected]
PLEASE ALSO LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE OUR LISTS OF OUT OF PRINT JUDAICA TITLES by emailing us at [email protected]
And feel free to forward this list to other colleagues who may be interested.
Many thanks to Anna Chapman and Avichayil Arfe for their work on this catalog.
We look forward to hearing from you.
1. • THE PASSOVER HAGGADAH OF GERSHOM COHEN: PRINTED AT PRAGUE, IN THE YEAR. Tel Aviv: Sinai Publishers, 1954, Cloth, 12mo, 23,  pages. Illustrated, 18 cm. In Hebrew with English introduction. Facsimile reproduction of the Hebrew text, with introd. In English. Previous owner’s inscription, Pages slightly wrinkled, water stain on bottom of endpapers. OCLC lists 6 copies worldwide (Barry U, Duke, Penn, Vanderbilt, HUC, Texas) . Good Condition in Good Jacket with large chip at front top, with some text loss. But a nice copy. (K-HAG) (ID #21216) $90.00.
2. • THE SARAJEVO HAGGADAH (FACSIMILE) . Beograd: Prosveta; Sarajevo: Svjetlost, 1983, Cloth, 8vo, 104 leaves [i.e. 208 pages]; 24 cm. In Hebrew. Full color hard cover facsimile of the famous illuminated manuscript now in, the National Museum of Sarajevo. No accompanying text. With dustjacket and slipcase. Very Good+ Condtion. Beautiful copy. (ID #21210) $130.00.
3. • SEDER HAGGADAH SHEL PESACH (HAMBURG, 1731 FACSIMILE) . New York: Orphan Hospital Ward Of Israel, 1961 , Paperback, 12mo. Includes black and white illustrations. In Hebrew with title page and page of explanation in English. “First printed edition of a haggadah from a parchment manuscript of the early eighteenth century, Anno 1731 Hamburg. ” From a series of 29 facsimiles of 18th century haggadot put out yearly by the publisher. Very Good Condition, slight discoloration on cover. (K-HAG) (ID #21213) $30.00.
4. • THE UNION HAGGADAH: HOME SERVICE FOR THE PASSOVER. Central Conference Of American Rabbis, 1923, Cloth, 12mo, xvi, 162 pages. Includes illustrations & music. 20 cm. In English & Hebrew. Slight wear on cover and spine, notations in pencil throughout (K-HAG) (ID #21212) $30.00.
5. • HAGADAH ERETZYISRAELITH LE’PESACH. Tel-Aviv: Y Zilberber, 1948. HARDBACK, 8vo. 47 pages. In Hebrew. Musical notes to various songs. Photographic illustrations of the old and new in the Land of Israel. Usual stains, wear to boards, internal binding starting, otherwise Good Condition. (k-hag-1-1) (ID #21068) $200.00.
6. • HAGADAH SHEL PESAH. SERVICE FOR THE FIRST TWO NIGHTS OF PASSOVER. Vienna: Jos. Schlesinger, 1914. Cloth, 8vo. 63 pages. Red morocco-like boards with heavy embossed gilt decorations. In Hebrew and English. Illustrated. "New edition, thoroughly revised. " SUBJECT (S): Haggadot -- Texts. Harvard has a copy of this Hagadah in Hebrew and German. OCLC lists no copies worldwide. Owner inscribed. Edgeworn; backstrip chipped and worn. Text in very good condition. (GER-12-15) (ID #17761) $150.00.
7. • FORM OF SERVICE FOR THE TWO FIRST NIGHTS OF THE FEAST OF PASSOVER. HAGGADAH SEDER SHEL PESAH. New York: Hebrew Publishing Co., . Octavo, original burgundy pictorial boards with mock-gilt and original cloth binding. 60 pages. "New illustrated edition," with 11 half-page wood engraved illustrations, and with New York State Bank illustrated advertisements on the front and rear pastedowns with Yiddish text and text only ad on rear cover in English. Stamped "Open Evenings." Text in Hebrew with English translation. Yudlov 2406. Variant edition in which the English translation shifts to Yiddish translation for one page (56-57) and then back to Hebrew only from the bottom of page 57 to the end, and no additional Yiddish translation at the rear. Some wear to boards, hinges starting but still solid, occational stains, etc. as generally found. A Nice copy. (AMR-8-19) (ID #16857) $100.00.
8. • FORM OF SERVICE FOR THE TWO FIRST NIGHTS OF THE FEAST OF PASSOVER. HAGGADAH SEDER SHEL PESAH. New York: Hebrew Publishing Co., . Octavo, original burgundy pictorial boards with mock-gilt and original cloth binding. 64 pages. "New illustrated edition," with 11 half-page wood engraved illustrations, and with New York State Bank illustrated advertisements on the front and rear pastedowns and text only ad on rear cover in English. Stamped "Open Evenings" Text in Hebrew with English translation; Yiddish page at rear ("Jewish-German Translation of [Adir Hu]"). Yudlov 2406. Some wear to boards, two pages repaired with old cellophane tape, occational stains, etc. as generally found. A Nice copy. (AMR-8-18) (ID #16856) $100.00.
9. • MAHZOR: HELEK SHENI: KE-MINHAG ASHKENAZ VE-POLIN: `IM PERUSH LESHON ASHKENAZI VE-DINE ME-HADRAT KODESH VE-KAVANAT HA-PAITAN ...: PESACH ... [ONLY]. Linevil (Lunéville, France): Bi-defus Avraham Frizek, 1797. Half-leather, 4to, 126 leaves. Hebrew text with commentaries in Judeo-German. "Among the Hebrew printing presses established in France in the latter part of the 18th century and early in the 19th was one belonging to Abraham Brisach, who produced in Luneville a mahzor with Judeo-German translation in 1797..." (Gilbert Cahen in EJ) SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. -- Prayer-books and devotions. Judeo-German literature. Machzor. Sukkot; Hadrat kodesh; Kavanat ha-paitan. No copies on OCLC. Only one institution (Harvard) lists any volumes of this Machzor (Yom Kipu, Helek Rashon) . JTSA owns (only) 2 of the volumes (Shavuot & ? ) , which they keep in their rare book room. Wear to boards, internal rag paper and binding remain in Very Good Condition. (GH-3-5) (ID #16962) $350.00.
10. • Gugenheimer, Raphael. KOMMENTAR ZUR HAGADAH SCHEL PESACH. Frankfurt A. M.: Sanger & Friedberg, 1912. Cloth, 8vo. 42 pages. In German. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Haggadah – commentaries. OCLC lists 9 copies worldwide. Ex library. Last page missing, boards warped from water, pages tanned, good- condition. (SPEC-2-25) (ID #20135) $30.00.
11. • Loewe, Raphael, intoductory notes and translation. THE RYLANDS HAGGADAH: A MEDIEVAL SEPHARDI MASTERPIECE IN FACSIMILE. An Illuminated Passover Compendium from Mid-14th-Century Catalonia in the Collections of the John Rylands University Library of Manchester... N.Y.: Abrams, (1988). 4to, 76 pages of text, many color plates. red silk cloth, lettered in gilt, matching slipcase. Near Fine Condition. (ID #16907) $150.00.
12. • A. Rosenthal Ltd. CATALOGUE 78: JUDAICA & HEBRAICA: CONTENTS: GENERAL, NOS. 1-257, 441-452; HEBREW TEXTS NOS. 258-333, 445-447; HAGGADAHS, NOS. 334-440. Oxford: A. Rosenthal, 1970? Wrappers; 8vo. 17 pages. 452 items listed and described. Inside front cover is an informational essay titled "The Jewish Historical Society of England. "' Catalogs, Booksellers' Catalogs, Booksellers' -- England. Antiquarian booksellers -- England. Rare books -- Catalogs, Booksellers' . OCLC lists two copies worldwide. Bit of cover soil; very good condition. (CT-1) (ID #14663) $60.00.
13. • Arranged and edited by Rabbi Menahem M. Kasher. ISRAEL PASSOVER HAGGADAH. HAGADAT – PESACH ERETZYISRAELIT. N. Y.: American Biblical Encyclopedia Society, 1950, Cloth, 8vo, 11, 335 pages; 26cm. In English & Hebrew. Includes color & black & white illustrations. Gilded edges, dustjacket . Inside hinges repaired, Very Good Condition in Good jacket. (K-HAG) (ID #21208) $30.00.
14. • Aviva Cantor Zuckoff, with Itzhak Epstein and Jerry Kirschen. Art by Jerry Kirschen. JEWISH LIBERATION HAGADA. New York: Jewish Liberation Project,1971., Second Edition. Stapled paperback, 4to, 94 pages. Includes illustrations. In English, Hebrew & Yiddish. Offset printing compilation of traditional texts and modern readings and songs from a variety of sources related to the Radical Zionist movement. With black and white line drawings. Card stock covers. Good Condition. OCLC lists no copies worldwide. (K-HAG) (ID #21209) $125.00.
15. • Bowman, John. THE GOSPEL OF MARK: THE NEW CHRISTIAN JEWISH PASSOVER HAGGADAH. Leiden, E. J. Brill, 1965. Cloth, 8vo, xiv, 392 pages, 25 cm. Series: Studia post-biblica, volume 8. Includes indexes. Bibliography on pages 359-363. Subjects: New Testament. -- Mark -- Commentaries. New Testament -- Relation to the Old Testament. Ex library copy with usual marks. Very good condition. (B-3) (ID #10981) $50.00.
16. • David Geffen, editor; English translation by Moshe Kohn; Introduction by Stuart E. Eizenstat. AMERICAN HERITAGE HAGGADAH: THE PASSOVER EXPERIENCE. Jerusalem: Geffen Publishing House, Ltd, C.1992, Cloth, 4to, 9, xix, 91 pages; 31 cm. In English &Hebrew. Includes many black & white and color illustrations and photographs. With commentary on the celebration of Passover throughout American Jewish history. Hebrew text photographed from a 1857 New York Hebrew- English Haggadah. Inscribed in English and Hebrew by the author to then JTS Chancellor Ismar Schorsch: “To Ismar, continued good health and much more success in your work for our am Yisrael and the Conservative Movement”. Very Good+ Condition. (K-HAG) (ID #21211) $30.00.
17. • David Berdah. HAGGADA DE PÂQUE. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH. (FT) Haggada de Paque. Tunis: Editions "La Caravelle," No date (ca 1960). Paper Wrappers. 8vo. 99 pages. In Hebrew with instructions in Judeo-Arabic. SUBJECT(S)Haggadah. Light wear to covers, tiny corner chip, otherwise Good+ Condition. OCLC lists 5 copies worldwide. (K-HAG) (ID #21219) $125.00.
18. • Eisenstein, Judah David. Illustrated by Lola [Sic]. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH: `IM OTIYOT ME`UTAROT VE-TSIYURIM B-TSEVA`IM SHONIM LE-SEDER LEL HAG HA-MATSOT. PETAH DAVAR, HAKDAMAH, HE`AROT U-MEKOROT. HAGADA ; THE NARRATIVE OF ISRAEL'S REDEMPTION FROM EGYPT. SEDER RITUAL FOR PASSOVER-EVE; HAGADA. Nyu-York: Hebrew Publishing Company, 1928. Cloth, 8vo, iv-xviii, 72, 71 pages. Includes many illustrations. 19 cm. In Hebrew & English. Yaari Nr. 2097. Paginated in duplicate. "New translation with annotations by J. D. Eisenstein...Targum hadash be-lashon Anglit tsahah `al yede Yehudah David Aizenstin. Mugah `al pi huke ha-dikduk `im makfim ve-mafsikim, matgim be-milot she-hen mal`il, ve-tsiyun `al sheva na`. " Attractive purple cloth with period sphynx & pyramid illustration on cover. OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. Hinges repaird, otherwise attractive, Good Condition. (GH-3-10) (ID #16966) $75.00.
19. • Freedman, Jacob. POLYCHROME HISTORICAL HAGGADAH FOR PASSOVER, HAGGADAH. Hardcover, 8vo, Springfield, MA, Jacob Freedman Liturgy Research Foundation, 1974. Cloth, 4to, xxvi, 134 pages. Illustrates the quilt like nature of the text by cooler coding Bible, Mishnah, Talmudic passages (etc.) based on when they were added to the Haggadah as we know it today. In his article for volume 77 of the American Jewish Year Book entitled "Jewish Scholarship in the United States: Selections from the Literature, 1973-1975," Meanhem Schmelzer highlighted Freedman's Polychrome Haggadah: "Seven colors indicate the seven periods, from biblical to modern, in which the various layers of the Haggadah came into being. Marginal comments on each passage give the source and comprehensive references to scholarly literature. Freedman's new translation and reproductions of many beautiful pages from medieval Haggadah manuscripts make this Haggadah particularly attractive." (1977, pp. 211-212). OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide. Very Good Condition in Good jacket. (art-2-15) (ID #16908) $325.00.
If you like the Polychrome Haggadah, you may also want...
20. • Freedman, Jacob, editor. POLYCHROME HISTORICAL PRAYERBOOK "SIDDUR BAYS YOSEF": INCLUDING DAILY, SABBATH AND FESTIVAL PRAYERS. [Springfield, MA]: [The Author], 1969. Stiff paper wrappers, 8vo, 28 pages. Despite it's title, not a complete siddur, but rather a preliminary draft showing what a polychorme prayerbook would look like. As such, these 28 pages show the same kind of careful and colorful approach to illustrating the evolutionary history of the Siddur, by which different parts of the text were added at different periods. Unfortunately, the author died before the project could be completed with a final, complete work. Despite being incomplete, the 28 pages are themselves very useful for what they show. Subject: Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Title: Siddur bays Yosef; Sidur bet Yosef; Bet Yosef.
Fine Condition. $20.00
21. • Gerard Allon (Photographs) . PASSOVER .HAGGADAH SHEL PESACH. Israel: Zabam, 1982?, Hardcover, Long 8vo, with color photographs. Slight warping to front cover, Very Good Condition in Very Good Dustjacket. OCLC lists only 1 copy worldwide (Harvard) (K-HAG) (ID #21206) $125.00.
22. • Hamburger, Jacob. GEIST DER HAGADA: SAMMLUNG HAGADISCHER AUSPRUCHE AUS DEN TALMUDEN UND MIDRASCHIM UBER BIBLISHCE, DOGMATISCHE, MORALISCHE UND ANTIQUARISCHE GEGENSTANDE IN APLHABETISCHER ORDNUNG: BUCHSTABE. Leipzig: L. Schnauss, 1857. Hardback, 8vo. 138 pages. In German. SUBJECT (S): Aggada -- Encyclopedias. Some water marks, back cover is missing. In fair condition. (MX13-14) (ID #21355) $65.00.
23. • Illustration by Jossi Stern Calligraphy by Noah Ophir. THE GOLDEN HAGGADAH OF JERUSALEM. Herzlia, Israel: Palphot, Ltd, 1986 (?) , Hardcover, Long 8vo. With watercolor & pen and ink illustrations and slipcase. In English & Hebrew. OCLC lists 12 copies worldwide. Very Good Condition, slight warping on front cover. (K-HAG) (ID #21205) $40.00.
24. • Klenicki, Leon, editor and translator. HAGGADAH CELEBRACIÓN DE LA PASCUA. Buenos Aires: Ediciones Paulinas, 1984. Paper wrappers; small 8vo; 83 pages. Series: Biblia vida ; 11. Other Titles: Biblia vida ; 11 Very good condition. (SP-1) . (ID #10112) $25.00.
25. • Krauskopf, Joseph. (Hagadah) THE SEDER: A HOME SERVICE IN COMMEMORATION OF THE LIBERATION OF ISRAEL FROM EGYPTIAN BONDAGE. Philadelphia, Keneseth Israel Sisterhood, 1913. Paper wrappers; small 8vo. Fifth edition. 24 pages. Contains hymns and pr ayers. OCLC lists one copy worldwide. Signed "Jos Krauskopf" in pencil on cover. Some editing notes (incorporated in later editions) pencilled in tex t. Cover sunned; very good condition. (K-HAG) (ID #15410) $200.00.
26. • Krauskopf, Joseph. (Hagadah) THE SEDER: A HOME SERVICE IN COMMEMORATION OF THE LIBERATION OF ISRAEL FROM EGYPTIAN BONDAGE. Philadelphia, Keneseth Israel Sisterhood, 1916. Paper wrappers; small 8vo. Fifth edition. 24 pages. Contains hymns and pr ayers. OCLC lists two copies worldwide. Paginated in pencil. Cover sunned; very good condition. (PC-1) (ID #15409) $125.00.
27. • Levin, Meyer. AN ISRAEL HAGGADAH FOR PASSOVER. New York: H. N. Abrams, 1970. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 126 pages. Photograph illustration. In Hebrew and English, with music. Warmly inscribed to Abraham Katsh by author Meyer Levin. SUBJECT (S): Haggadot - texts; Seder - liturgy - texts; Judaism - liturgy - texts; Haggadah Very good condition. (Katsh-2-1) (ID #19606) $40.00.
28. • Peled-Carmeli, Haviva. ILLUSTRATED HAGGADOT OF THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY/ HA-METSAYER BI-YETSIAT. Jerusalem: The Israel Museum, 1983, Paper Wrappers, Large 8vo, 35, 109 pages. In Hebrew, with Introduction in English as well. Catalog from a major exhibit at the Israel Museum, with rich color and black 7 white illustrations. Jewish Art Scholar Joseph Gutmann’s copy, with notes laid in. Soft cover with dustjacket . Includes bibliographical references (p. 109) . Very Good Condition in Good+ dust jacket. (K-HAG) (ID #21215) $35.00.
29. • Spitzer, Moshe; Goldschmidt, E. D; (Ernst Daniel) ; Jaffe, H. L. (Hans Ludwig C. ) ; Narkiss, Bezalel. Shapiro, Meyer. THE BIRD'S HEAD HAGGADA OF THE BEZALEL NATIONAL ART MUSEUM IN JERUSALEM. HAGADAT RASHEY HA-SIPORIM SHEL BEYT HA-NEKHOT HA-LEUMI LE-OMANUT BESALEL, YERUSHALAYIM. INTRODUCTORY VOLUME [STANDS ON ITS OWN]. Jerusalem: Published For Beth David Salomons By Tarshish Books, 1967, Cloth, 4to, 159 pages. Text in English. With slipcover. Gilt design on cover, lettering on spine, and page tops. Spine partly leather. Bibliography on pages 123-124. (K-HAG) (ID #21217) $225.00.
30. • Wexler, Jacov. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH. Tel-Aviv: Hazvi, 1954, Cloth, 4to, unpaginated. Loaded with modernist color illustrations; 34 cm. In Hebrew (K-HAG) (ID #21214) $150.00.
31. • Yerushalmi, Yosef Hayim. HAGGADAH AND HISTORY: A PANORAMA IN FACSIMILE OF FIVE CENTURIES OF THE PRINTED HAGGADAH FROM THE COLLECTIONS OF HARVARD UNIVERSITY AND THE JEWISH THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY OF AMERICA. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society, 1975. Hardcover, 8vo, 494 pages. Facsimile illustrations in Hebrew. Fold out map. Second printing. SUBJECT(S): Judaism - prayer books and devotion; Printing, Hebrew; Haggadah. Yerushalmi (b. 1932) was educated at Yeshiva University, Columbia, and the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. He became a professor at Harvard in 1966, where he was later to be chairman of the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, and was elected as a fellow of the American Academy of Jewish Research in 1972. In 1980, he became the director of Columbia's Center for Israel and Jewish Studies.(EJ) Ex-library. Cover in dustjacket. Very good condition. (k-mx-1-17) (ID #21405) $75.00.