BOOKS & SERIALS IN
MEDIEVAL & RENAISSANCE
Friends & Colleagues,
Welcome to our catalog of titles in Medieval & Renaissance Studies, primarily in Judaica.
As always, all items are 100% returnable for any reason and are offered subject to prior sale, first come first served. Domestic postage is usually $4.00 for the first item and $1.00 for each thereafter. International shipping is usually $9.00 for the first two volumes and $5.00 for each thereafter.
Individuals please prepay for your order using a major credit card, paypal, or by check in US funds. Institutions may request an invoice. If you are ordering via fax, please confirm with a call or e-mail.
You can also always use our on-line search engine to browse the more than 2500 titles we have listed on line at DanWymanBooks.com. You'll also find other recent Judaica book lists posted there.
Please also let us know if we may send you our lists of out-of-print Judaica as they are published.
And feel free to forward this list to other colleagues who may be interested. We are also always interested in buying your duplicates and other books and periodicals for cash or trade.
We appreciate your continued business and look forward to your next order.
Please also see our catalog of Sale-Priced Books in Medieval & Renaissance Jewish Studies at http://www.danwymanbooks.com/medievalsale.htm
1. • AJS [Association for Jewish Studies] Review, vols 1-24, complete (thus).
Original cloth & paperback as issued. Near Fine Condition $575.00
1A. • SEFER TOLDOT ALEKSANDROS HA-MAKDONI. THE BOOK OF THE GESTS OF ALEXANDER OF MACEDON, A MEDIAEVAL HEBREW VERSION OF THE ALEXANDER ROMANCE. Cambridge, MA, Medieval Academy Of America, 1962. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition Lacks Jacket? ; 8vo; 109, 227, x pages; Mediaeval Academy of America; Publication no. 75. Bibliography on pages 223-227. In Hebrew & English "Based chiefly on the Historia de preliis, by Leo, archpresbyter. " (ID #4539) $60.00.
2. • (Aubin, Herman) Hellman, Manfred, Et Al, editors. SYNTAGMA FRIBURGENSE : HISTORICHE STUDIEN HERMANN AUBIN DARGEBRACHT ZUM 70. GEBURTSTAG AM 23. 12. 1955. Lindau Und Konstanz, Jan Thorbecke, 1956. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition in Very Good Jacket; 8vo; 359 pages; Schriften des Kopernikuskreises, Band I. Not a Jewish festschri ft, but much on medieval & renaissance Germany. Kisch copy. (ID #2048) $50.00.
3. • (Maimonides) Feuchtwang, David; & Samuel Krauss. MOSES BEN MAIMON: AUS ANLASS DER 800. WIEDERKEHR SEINES GEBURTSTAGES. Wien, Vorstande Der Isr. Kultusgem, 1935. Paper Wrappers, Tears to cover, "correction" notes on title page. Good Cond; 8vo; 46 pages; Published by the Vorstande der isr. Kultusgemeinde in Wien (ID #4900) $50.00.
4. • [Rashi]. RASHI ANNIVERSARY VOLUME. New York, American Academy For Jewish Research, 1941. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition; 8vo; 248 pages; Volume I in the Academy's Texts and Studies series. In English with some Hebrew. You want Rashi? We got Rashi. Check out the contents of this book: The Life and Works of Rashi (by Alexander Marx) ; What Does Rashi Mean to Us Today (by Ismar Elbogen) ; Rash Against the Background of his Epoch (by Bernard Weinryb) ; Rashi and the Community of Troyes (by Salo Baron) ; Manuscript Supercommentaries of Rashi's Commentary on the Pentateuch (by Aron Freiman) ; Nicolas de Lyra and Rashi The Minor Prophets (by Herman Hailperin) ; The Genesis of Rash's Commentary on the Talmud (by VIktor Apowitzer) ; The Yerushalmi Quotations in Rashi (by Michael Higger) ; & Rashi as a Lexicographer of the Talmud (by Boaz Cohen) . Guido Kisch's copy (ID #2469) $100.00.
5. • Aaron, Ha-Levi, Of Barcelona, 13th Century. edited and translated by Johann Heinrich Hottinger. JURIS HEBRAEORUM LEGES CCLXI: JUXTA NOMOTHESIAS MOSAICAE ORDINE M, ATQUE FERIEM DEPROMTAE, & AD JUDAEORUM MENTEM; DUCTO RABBI. Tiguri, Typis Joh. Jacobi Bodmeri, 1655. Lacks outer binding (as issued? ) . Edgewear, Paper very good; Large 8vo; 5+4+401+13+1 pages; Levi, Barzelonitae; Indicatis cujuslibet Praaecepti fundamento, materia, subjecto, fine, accidentibus, transgressori s, poena, &c "Breviter quidem; sed ita propsitae, ut non Theologiae tantum, & Linguae Hebraeae; se & Juris Studiosis magno usui esse possint. " Scarce early traslslation work, apparantly in first edition, by the prolific German orientalist & theologian Hottinger (1620-1667) . (ID #2511) $800.00.
6. • Abrahams, Israel. THE BOOK OF DELIGHT, AND OTHER PAPERS. Phildelphia, Jewish Publication Society, 1912. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition; 8vo; 323 pages; 22 cm. "The chapters of this volume were almost all spoken addresses. " Contents include: The book of delight, A visit to Hebron, The solace of books, Medieval wayfaring, The fox's heart, Marriages are made in heaven, Hebrew love songs, George Elliot and Solomon Maimon, How Milton Pronounced Hebrwe, The Anglo-Jewish Yiddish Literary Society, the Mystics and Saints of India, The Shape of Matzoth, Notes, Index, etc. (ID #4632) $25.00.
7. • Ameringen, M. L. Van (Moses Loeb) . TAFEREELEN UIT DE GESCHIEDENIS DER ISRAELIETEN IN DE LAATSTE 18 EEUWEN: UIT ONDERSCHIEDENE BRONNEN BIJEEN GEBRAGT. 2. JAARGANG. Amsterdam, J. B. De Mesquita, 1861. 1st Edition. 1/4 Leather, Front hinge almost broken through. Titlepage loose. Paper Good; 8vo; 2nd Annual only (of 3? ) Dutch Jewish history annual, published by the Sephardic printer de Mesquita. (ID #5098) $75.00.
8. • Angel, Marc D. . VOICES IN EXILE : A STUDY IN SEPHARDIC INTELLECTUAL HISTORY . . 1991. Cloth, 8vo, ISBN: 0881253707. Hoboken, N.J. : New York, N.Y: KTAV Pub. House ; In association with Sephardic House, 1991. Cloth, 8vo, ix, 237 p. ; 24 cm. The Library of Sephardic history and thought; Includes bibliographical references (p. 225-232) and index.; Contents include: 1. EXPULSION: Historical Background, Reactions to the Expulsion, The Sephardic Diaspora, The Expulsion: Why?, Accepting Suffering, Religious Understanding of History; 2. REACTIONS TO THE EXPULSION: Anti-Rationalism and Rationalism, Acceptance and Rebellion, Halakhah, Kabbalah, Kabbalistic Ethics; 3. THE CONVERSOS: The Judaism of the Conversos, Jewish Attitudes Toward the Conversos; 4. RETURN AND RECONCILIATION: Spiritual Struggles, The Western Sephardic Tradition; 5. THE ERA OF SABBATAI SEVI: Philosophy versus Kabbalah, anti-Halakhic Tendencies, Acceptance versus Rebellion, Sabbatai Sevi, Rabbi Moshe Hagiz; 6. THE PROMISED LAND: MAINTAINING A DREAM: Preparing for Redemption in Israel, The Shadarim, Faith and Despair; 7. THE FOLK MIND AND SPIRIT: Rabbi Yaakov Huli, Folk Wisdom and Intellectual Wisdom; 8 MUSAR: ETHICS AND MORAL GUIDANCE: Musar Study and Musar Practices. Musar Teachings, Relationship with Hassidism; 9. ACCEPTANCE AND REBELLION: PRELUDE TO MODERNITY: A New Approach, The Blood Libels in Damascus and Rhodes in 1840; 10. SEPHARDIC HASKALAH: Grace Aguilar: Jewish Spirituality, Eliyhu Benamozegh: Jewish Ethics, Rabbi Israel Moshe Hazan, Rabbi Yehudah Yaakov Nehama: Defending Tradition, Rabbi Henry Pereira Mendes, Traditional Communal Framework; 11: SECULAR SEPHARDIC LITERATURE: Elia Carmona, Angel Pulido, La America, Poetry; 12. RELIGIOUS RESPONSES TO MODERNITY: Attitude toward Secular Education, Rabbi Elilyahu Hazan, Rabbi Reuben Eliyahu Israel, Halakhah and Modernism, Rabbi Benzion Uziel; 13 ISRAEL AND THE NATIONS: Israel and Humanity, Maintaining Uniqueness and Universality, Conversion to Judaism, Zionism; EPILOGUE: Notes, Bibliography Index. Ex-library with usual marks, but otherwise Very Good Condition in Very Good jacket. (ID #13021) $30.00.
9. • Baron, Salo Wittmayer, & Joseph L. Blau, editors. JUDAISM, POSTBIBLICAL AND TALMUDIC PERIOD. Indianapolis, Bobbs-Merrill, 1954. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Light wear, Good Condition; 8vo; 245 pages (ID #5260) $25.00.
10. • Barzilay, Isaac. BETWEEN REASON AND FAITH ANTI-RATIONALISM IN ITALIAN JEWISH THOUGHT 1250-1650. The Hague, Mouton, 1967. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition in Very Good Jacket; 8vo; 245 pages; 24 cm. Publications in Near and Middle East Studies, Columbia University. Series A; Includes index. Bibliography on pp 225-232 (ID #5271) $65.00.
11. • Bokser, Rabbi Ben Zion. THE WISDOM OF THE TALMUD--A THOUSAND YEARS OF JEWISH THOUGHT. New York, Philosophical Library, 1951. Cloth, Very Good Condition in Good Jacket; Small 8vo; 180 pages (ID #4995) $20.00.
12. • Bokser, Rabbi Ben Zion. THE WISDOM OF THE TALMUD--A THOUSAND YEARS OF JEWISH THOUGHT. New York, Philosophical Library, 1951. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition in Very Good Jacket; Small 8vo; 180 pages; louis finkelstein's 1st edition copy of ben zion bokser's classic, inscribed to him in year of publication by the author (ID #4994) $100.00.
13. • Browe, Peter, S. J. . DIE JUDENMISSION IM MITTELALTER UND DIE PÄPSTE. Roma, Libreria S. A. L. E. R. Rapprese, 1942. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Pages browning but not brittle, light wear, Good+ Condition; 8vo; 325 pages; Fascist-era publication by the Pontifica Universitate Gregoriana from the series "Miscellanea Historiae Pontificae. " Guido Kisch's copy (ID #2000) $60.00.
14. • Cygielman, Shmuel A. Arthur. JEWISH AUTONOMY IN POLAND AND LITHUANIA UNTIL 1648 (5408) . Jerusalem, Published By The Author, 1997. Cloth, Fine in Fine Jacket; Large 8vo; 493 pages; Includes a large fold-out map and bibliography. A Wonderful Book. This title net to all (ID #1647) $50.00.
15. • Ettinghausen, Richard, Ed. . A SELECTED AND ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY OF BOOKS AND PERIODICALS IN WESTERN LANGUAGES DEALING WITH THE NEAR AND MIDDLE EAST. Washington, Middle East Institute, 1952. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Very Good Condition; 4to; viii, 111 pages; 28 cm. "Prepared under the auspices of the Committee on Near Eastern Studies, American Council of Learned Societies. " WITH SPECIAL EMPHASIS ON MEDIEVAL AND MODERN TIMES (ID #5219) $40.00.
16. • Fahmy, Aly Mohamed. MUSLIM SEA-POWER IN THE EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN FROM THE SEVENTH TO THE TENTH CENTURY A.D. 1966. Hardcover, 8vo; 1966 1st edition. Ix, 212 p. Map. 24 cm. Cairo, National Publication & Print. House. (ID #8882) $75.00.
17. • Finkelstein, Louis. THE COMMENTARY OF DAVID KIMHI ON ISAIAH: EDITED, WITH HIS UNPUBLIHSED ALLEGORICAL COMMENTARY ON GENESIS, ON THE BASIS OF MANUSCRIPTS AND EARLY EDITIONS. New York, Columbia University Press, 1926. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Very Good+ Condition. A fresh copy; 8vo; 96 + 232 pages; In English and Hebrew. An excellent copy (ID #5709) $35.00.
18. • Fischer, Karl. GUTMEINUNG ÜBER DEN TALMUD DER HEBRÄER. Wien, Alfred Hölder, 1883. Paper Wrappers, DISBOUND. Lacks backstrip, paper brown & somewhat fragile; 8vo; 6 + 112 pages; "Verfasset von Karl Fischer, k. K. Zensor, Revisor und Translator im hebräischen Fache zu Prag" "Nach einem manuscript von 1802" (ID #2642) $45.00.
19. • Freedman, Jacob, editor. POLYCHROME HISTORICAL PRAYERBOOK "SIDDUR BAYS YOSEF" : INCLUDING DAILY, SABBATH AND FESTIVAL PRAYERS. Paper Wrappers, 8vo, [Springfield, MA]: [The Author], 1969. Stiff paper wrappers, 8vo, 28 pages. Despite it's title, not a complete siddur, but rather a preliminary draft showing what a polychorme prayerbook would look like. As such, these 28 pages show the same kind of careful and colorful approach to illustrating the evolutionary history of the Siddur, by which different parts of the text were added at different periods. Unfortunately, the author died before the project could be completed with a final, complete work. Despite being incomplete, the 28 pages are themselves very useful for what they show. Subject : Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Title : Siddur bays Yosef; Sidur bet Yosef; Bet Yosef. Fine Condition. (ID #12617) $20.00.
20. • Friedlaender, Dr. M. H. . ZUR GESCHICHTE DER BLUTBESCHULDIGUNGEN GEGEN DIE JUDEN IM MITTELALTER UND IN DER NEUZEIT (1171-1882) . Frankfurt AM Main, H. L. Broenner's Druckerei, 1883. Paper wrappers, Spine tape-repaired, rear cover detached. Internally clean; 8vo; 32 pages; "Separat-Abdruck aus Dr. U. Bruell's 'Populaer-wissenschaftlich en Monatsblaetter. '" Dr. Max Freudenthal's copy, with his name-stamp on front cover. Later owned by Dr. Guido Kisch (ID #1921) $50.00.
21. • Ginzberg. YERUSHALMI FRAGMENTS FROM THE GENIZAH. VOL. 1. New York, Jewish Theological Seminary, 1909. 1st Edition. Cloth, Probably rebound. Attractive marbled boards. Very Good Condition; 8vo; ix, 372 pages; Text & Studies #3. In Hebrew with English preface and title page. (ID #5307) $100.00.
22. • Glatzer, Nahum Norbert. GESCHICHTE DER TALMUDISCHEN ZEIT. Berlin, Schocken Verlag, 1937. Cloth, Very Good Cond. Beautiful copy much nicer than usually found Issued w/o DJ; 12mo; 178 pages; Guido Kisch's Copy (ID #2387) $45.00.
23. • Goldschmidt, Salomon. GESCHICHTE DER JUDEN IN ENGLAND VON DEN AELTESTEN ZEITEN BIS ZU IHREN VERBANNUNG; ERSTER THEIL, XI. UND XII. JAHRHUNDERT. Berlin, Rosenstein & Hildesheimer, 1886. 1st Edition. Cloth, Contemporary binding, pre-war German-Jewish library stamps. Good; 8vo; iv, 76 pages; Separat-abdruck aus dem Magazin für die Wissenschaft des Judenthums, 1885-86. Also published as Inaug. -diss. --Leipzig. (ID #4383) $75.00.
24. • Hay, Malcom. THE FOOT OF PRIDE--THE PRESSUE OF CHRISTENDOM ON THE PEOPLE OF ISRAEL FOR 1900 YEARS. Boston, Beacon Press, 1951. Cloth, Spine Sunned, Very Good Condition Lacks Jacket; 8vo; 352 pages; Includes 6-page index (ID #4682) $30.00.
24A. • HEBREW UNION COLLEGE ANNUAL. Volumes 1-64, complete (thus far), including index for vols 1-37. Cincinnati,
HUC, 1924-1993. Cloth, 8vo. Edited by David Philipson, Sheldon H. Blank & Elias L. Epstein. All original volumes. All Very Good+ Condition. A Beautiful set. $3000.00 (later volumes also available as needed on per-volume basis)
25. • Hecht, Emanuel, Und Meyer Kayserling. . LEHRBUCH DER JÜDISCHEN GESCHICHTE UND LITERATUR. Leipzig, G. Engel, 1909. 8th Edition. Cloth, Lots of underlining and marginalia, as one might expect from a well-used text book. Tears to backstrip (spine covering) , but otherwise sturdy. A fair, very usable, copy ; 8vo; vii, 228, 61 pages; 22 cm "Nach der in Verbindung mit Prof. Dr. Biach, Rabbiner in Brux hergestellten achten Auflage neu bearbeitete" "Ausgabe fur Deutschland" Includes bibliographical references and index. (ID #8037) $20.00.
25A. • Herlitz, Georg; and Bruno Kirschner, Eds. JÜDISCHES LEXIKON: EIN ENZYKLOPÄDISCHES HANDBUCH DES JÜDISCHEN WISSENS IN VIER
BÄNDEN. 4 Volumes in 5 Volumes (Complete). Berlin Jüdischer Verlag 1930. 4to, Quarter leather binding, ca 7000+ pages; Shunami # 4.
"Mit über 2000 Illustrationen, Beilagen, Karten und Tabellen.Unter mitarbeit von über 230 jüdischen Gelehrten und Schriftstellern und unter redaktionell er Mithilfe von Ismar Elbogen " [and others]. A marvelous resource. Illustrated by Illustrated by Loaded with Photos,
Maps,etc. First Edition. Clean repair to one spine, otherwise Very Good Condition. $ 550.00
26. • Horowitz, Carmi. THE JEWISH SERMON IN 14TH CENTURY SPAIN: THE DERASHOT OF R JOSHUA IBN SHU'E IB (HARVARD JUDAIC MONOGRAPHS, 6) . Cambridge, Mass. , Harvard Univ Pr, 1989. Hardcover, 206 pages. ISBN 0-674-47455-4Religion & Spirituality : Judaism : Sacred Writings : Torah Includes indexes. Bibliography on pages 191-200. Subjects: Ibn Shuaib, Josh ua, 14th cent. Derashot `al ha-Torah. Jewish sermons-History and criticism. Judaism-Spain-History. Series: Harvard Judaic monographs, 6. (ID #11102) $20.00.
27. • Hurwitz, Henry, editor. MENORAH JOURNAL. VOL. XXXI, #2. SUMMER 1943. New York, Menorah Association, 1943. Paper Wrappers, Very Good Conditin; 4to; 114 + 6 pages; Guido Kisch's copy Contents include: "Jews Enter Georgia" (by Charles Reznikoff) ; "Letters from Pissarro" (Intro by John Rewald) ; Book reviews by Cecil Roth, Louis Lozowick, etc (ID #3773) $20.00.
28. • Jacob, Walter, Frederick C. Schwartz & Vigdor W. Kavaler, editors. ESSAYS IN HONOR OF SOLOMON B. FREEHOF: PRESENTED BY THE RODEF SHALOM CONGREGATION ON THE OCCASION OF HIS SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY: . Pittsburgh, Rodef Shalom Congregation, 1964. 1st Edition. Cloth, Corners slightly "rounded. " Very Good condition Issued w/o DJ? ; Large 8vo; 331 pages; AUGUST 8, 1962. Includes a bibliography of Freehof's works. Guido Kisch's Copy Much on Freehof himself. Other contents include: The Talmud and the Medieval Papacy (by Solomon Grayzel) ; Halakhah in the Church Fathers (by jacob J. Petuchowski) ; A Judeo-Arabic Epitome of the Yosippon (by M. Sanders & H. Nahmad) ; The Lunar and Solar Caldndars in Ancient Israel (by Abba Hillel Silver) ; etc (ID #2246) $50.00.
29. • Jawitz, W. GESCHICHTE ISRAELS. ACHGTER BAND [ONLY] UMFASST DIE BLUETZEIT DER AMORAEISCHEN TAETIGKEIT BIS NACH DEM ABSCHLUSS DES TALMUDS. Berlin, Itzkowski, 1912. Paper Wrappers, Lacks rear cover; Large 8vo; 209 pages; "Subventioniert von der Juedisch-Literarischen Gesellschaft zu Frankfurt a. M. , der Zunz-Stiftung. .." etc. In Hebrew (ID #5312) $20.00.
29A.. • JEWISH QUARTERLY REVIEW. A complete set of the first twenty volumes of the Jewish Quarterly Review, 1888-1908, as re-printed by KTAV in 1966. This is a complete reprint run of the "Old Series," edited by I. Abrahams and C.G. Montefiore and published in London. (The New Series began in1910 with publication in Philadelphia). There is also the index volume included, prepared by KTAV. The set is in near-mint condition, still in the original two boxes that they were packed in when they were shipped by KTAV. Price is $850.00
30. • Judah ben Asher,1270-1349. Yehudah ben ha-Rosh. . Zikron Yehudah :...she'elot u-teshuvot . 1846. Hardcover, 8vo, Berlin, Friedländer'sche Buchdruckerei,1846. In Hebrew. Bound as issued with Nissim ben ReubenGerondi, She'elot u-teshuvot. SUBJECT(S) Responsa -- 1040-1600. None of this edition on OCLC. Period boards are worn; spine rebacked with title penned on spine, institutional bookplate. Paper browning as generally found, but binding & paper remain good and strong. Good Condition. (ID #13044) $150.00.
31. • Judah, Ha-Levi. translated Into German with A Biographical Sketch by Emil Bernhard. . EIN DIWAN. Berlin, E. Reiss, 1920. Cloth, Spine & inside hinge repaired, lacks blank endpape (? ) , ex-library with minimal marks, about Good Condition; 8vo; 165 pages; 23 cm. "Quellennachweis" on pages 162-165.One of 1200 machine numbered copies available for sale, this being number 1222 (! ) , over which someone has penned "0000" (ID #8023) $25.00.
32. • Katz, Steven T. . THE HOLOCAUST IN HISTORICAL CONTEXT. VOLUME 1--THE HOLOCAUST AND MASS DEATH BEFORE THE MODERN AGE. New York, Oxford University Press, 1994. 1st Edition. Cloth, Near Fine Condition Issued w/o DJ? ; Large 8vo; 702 pages; 95-page bibliography (! ) Academic and thorough examination of the Holocaust in the context of earlier genocide and Antisemitism Index (ID #1063) $60.00.
33. • Kisch, Guido. FORSCHUNGEN ZUR RECHTS- UND SOZIALGESCHICHTE DES MITTELALTERS : MIT EINEM VERZEICHNIS DER SCHRIFTEN VON GUIDO KISCH ZUR MITTELALT. Sigmaringen, J. Thorbecke, 1980. 1st Edition Thus. Cloth, Very Good Condition; 8vo; 544 pages; 24 cm. Ausgewahlte Schriften / Guido Kisch ; Bd. 3 (the last of 3 issued) . Chiefly contributions (in German or English) reprinted from various periodicals. Includes bibliographical references. "Sachsenspiegel-Bibliographie on pages 82-109. List of Kisch's publications on pages 519-544. Kisch's own copy. (ID #6274) $85.00.
34. • Landau, Sol. CHRISTIAN-JEWISH RELATIONS: A NEW ERA IN GERMANY AS A RESULT OF THE FIRST CRUSADE. New York, Pageant Press, 1959. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition in Very Good Jacket; 8vo; 78 pages (ID #2136) $50.00.
35A. • Leo Baeck Institute. YEAR BOOK. Volumes 1-37, complete (thus). London, LBI, 1956-1992. Cloth, 8vo. All original volumes, all Very Good+ Condition with original dust jackets. $1900.00 (later volumes also available as needed on per-volume basis)
35. • Leschnitzer, Adolf, Ed. . DAS JUDENTUM IM WELTBILD EUROPAS. BD. 1: DAS JUDENTUM IM WELTBILD DES MITTELALTERS. Berlin, Schocken, 1935. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Very Good Condition; 12mo (small) ; 31 pages; Guido Kisch's copy (ID #2250) $25.00.
36. • Löw, Leopold. GRAPHISCHE REQUISITEN UND ERZEUGNISSE BEI DEN JUDEN. IN TWO INSTALLMENTS. Leipzig, Oskar Leiner, 1870. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, DISBOUND. Extremely brown & brittle paper, heavily chipped. ; 8vo; 240 +289 pages; Beiträge zur jüdischen Alterthumskunde von Leopold Löw, erster Band. 2nd Installment lacks cover. (ID #2688) $50.00.
37. • Maimonides, Moses. edited by Gotthold Weil. . ÜBER DIE LEBENSDAUER: EIN UNEDIERTES RESPONSUM. Basel, Karger, 1953. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Very Good Condition. ; 8vo; 59 pages; In German. Text in German and Hebrew. Longevity. (ID #8396) $40.00.
38. • Manning, John J. , editor and Introduction. THE FIRST AND SECOND PARTS OF JOHN HAYWARD'S THE LIFE AND RAIGNE OF KING HENRIE IIII. London, Royal Historical Society, 1991. 1st Edition. Cloth, Near Fine Condition Lacks Jacket? ; 8vo; 264 pages; Fresh copy of this desirable edition with Mannings long introduction, bibliographical history, and full index. (ID #1482) $35.00.
39. • Mauskopf, Aaron. . THE RELIGIOUS PHILOSOPHY OF THE MAHARAL OF PRAGUE. 1949. Cloth, 8vo, . New York : B. Morgenstern, 1966. 2nd edition. Cloth, 8vo, 108 pages. 24 cm. Judah Loew ben Bezalel, ca. 1525-1609. "An outgrowth of a doctoral thesis for the Teachers' Institute of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America." Includes bibliographical references. Includes three sections: I. Philosophy of Torah; II. Philosophy of Ethics; III. Philosophy of History. OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide of this edition, as well as 8 copies of the 1949 1st edition. Very Good Condition. (ID #13230) $50.00.
40. • Melzer, Emanual & David Engel, editors. GAL-ED ON THE HISTORY OF THE JEWS IN POLAND. VOLUME I ONLY. Tel Aviv, Society For Historical Res.., 1973. 1st Edition. Cloth, Cloth discolored but otherwise very solid, Good Condition; 8vo; 348, 24 pages; The most difficult to find single volume from this important serial on Polish-Jewish history. In Hebrew with English table of contents and 1 24-page article in English. (ID #8999) $35.00.
41. • Melzer, Emanual & David Engel, editors. GAL-ED ON THE HISTORY OF THE JEWS IN POLAND. VOLUME XIV ONLY. Tel Aviv, Society For Historical Res.., 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition; 8vo; ca 450 pages; Single volume from this important serial on Polish-Jewish history. In English and Hebrew (ID #5047) $25.00.
41A • MENORAH (AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATION FOR JEWISH STUDIES). Vols. 1-4 (Complete) Underdale, S. A.: Australian Association for Jewish Studies, 1987-1990. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. Semiannual.
Continued by :
AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF JEWISH STUDIES. Vols 5-15. Camberwell, Victoria, Australia : Australian Association for Jewish Studies, 1991-2001. Paper Wrappers, 8vo, Annual. $200.00 for all 15 volumes.
42. • Meyer, Hans Chanoch, Et Al, editors. ERNTE DER SYNAGOGA RECKLINGHAUSEN: ZEUGNISSE JUDISCHER GEISTIGKEIT. Frankfurt AM Main, Ner-Tamid-Verlag, 1962. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Very Good Condition; Large 8vo; 207 pages; 24 cm. Includes 29 pages of plates. Publication to accompany the famous SYNAGOGA exhibit, the first major exposition of Jewish Culture in Germany following the Holocaust and a watershed in postwar West German-Jewish tensions & relations. (ID #8110) $35.00.
43. • Meyer, Hans Chanoch, Et Al, editors. ERNTE DER SYNAGOGA RECKLINGHAUSEN: ZEUGNISSE JUDISCHER GEISTIGKEIT. Frankfurt AM Main, Ner-Tamid-Verlag, 1962. Paper Wrappers, Very Good Condition; Large 8vo; 207 pages; Publication to accompany the famous SYNAGOGA exhibit, the first major exposition of Jewish Culture in Germany following the Holocaust and a watershed in postwar West German-Jewish tensions & relations. (ID #4332) $35.00.
44. • Narkiss,Bezalel. HEBREW ILLUMINATED MANUSCRIPTS IN THE BRITISH ISLES. The Spanish & Portuguese Manuscripts. In TWO VOLUMES. Hardcover, 8vo, Jerusalem&London,1982.MINT condition, in slip case.Plates in b/w & color. (ID #13476) $125.00.
45. • Neuman, Abraham A. . LANDMARKS AND GOALS: HISTORICAL STUDIES AND ADDRESSES. Philadelphia, Dropsie College Press, 1953. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition Lacks jacket? ; 8vo; 370 pages; From the personal library of Dr. Guido Ksich, one of the 20th Century's outstanding historians of German Jewry (ID #2008) $40.00.
46. • Neuman, Abraham A. & Solomon Zeitlin. THE SEVENTY-FIFTH ANNIVERARY VOLUME OF THE JEWISH QUARTERLY REVIEW. Philadelphia, Jewish Quarterly Review, 1967. 1st Edition. Hardcover, 8vo; 592 pages; Smooth paper, very attractive printing. Contains 39 articles on Bible scholarship, medieval judaica, theology and Jewish Liturgy. (ID #7118) $60.00.
47. • Neumark, David. GESCHICHTE DER JÜDISCHEN PHILOSOPHIE DES MITTELALTERS NACH PROBLEMEN DARGESTELLT. 1897. Cloth, Ex-library with usual marks, backstrip repaied, internal bindings good, dampstains to last 60 pages (almost entirely to the margins only) , tears to last 3 leaves, no loss of text. A solid copy despite flaws ; 8°; Berlin, G. Reimer, 1907-28. Issued as 2 volumes in 3, this being the 1st volume (only) containing: Die Grundprinzipien I: 1. Buch. Einleitung. 2. Buch. Materie und Form. 26 cm. (ID #7971) $50.00.
48. • Plessner, Martin. DIE BEDEUTUNG DER WISSENSCHAFTSGESCHICHTE FUR DAS VERSTANDNIS DER GEISTIGEN WELT DES ISLAMS. Tubingen, Mohr, 1966. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Very Good Condition; 8vo; 20 pages; 23 cm. Philosophie und Geschichte, #82. Originally a lecture in Hebrew given at the Haifa College of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem in 1965. Includes bibliographical footnotes. Guido Kisch's copy (ID #6026) $25.00.
49. • Rapaport, Mordche W. . TALMUD UND SEIN RECHT. Berlin, Verlag Von Louis Lamm, 1912. Paper Wrappers, DISBOUND. Binding guillotined. Lacks cover. Paper good; 8vo; 148 + 69 pages; In need of binding or suitable as a scholar's working copy only 2nd printing of this offprint from the Zeitschrift fuer vergleichende Rechstwissenschaft, Vol. XIV, XV, & XVI. (ID #2653) $30.00.
49A. • Rozen, Minna; Yehyda Nini & Shlomo Simonsohn, editors. MICHAEL ON THE HISTORY OF THE JEWS IN THE DIASPORA. VOLUMES 1-15 (COMPLETE) . Tel Aviv, Diaspora Research Institute, 1997. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition; 8vo; ca 5000 pages; Beautiful complete set of this important serial on Jewish history. In English and Hebrew. Set includes: Vol. I, Italy, S. Simonsohn (ed.), 1972. 341 pages (Italian and French), 318 pages (Hebrew);Vol. II, German-Speaking Countries, S. Simonsohn and J. Toury (eds.), 1973. 265 pages (German and English), 83 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. III, United States, L.P. Gartner (ed.), 1975. 392 pages (English), 40 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. IV, France, S. Simonsohn and J. Shatzmiller (eds.), 1976. 460 pages (French), 71 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. V, North Africa, S. Simonsohn, D. Carpi and Y. Nini (eds.), 1978. 142 pages (Judeo-Arabic, French, English, German), 264 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. VI, Eastern Europe, M. Minc and S. Simonsohn (eds.), 1980. (Hebrew, German, English, Yiddish, Russian, Romanian), 176+240 pages hardbound ; Vol. VII, Jewish Dispersion in the Eastern Mediterranean and in the Near East. From Greece to Yemen and From Syria Down to Crete, Z. Ankori and S. Simonsohn (eds.), 1981. 247 pages (English, Italian, French), 444 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. VIII, Latin America, S. Simonsohn and D. Carpi (eds.), 1984. 161 pages (Spanish and Yiddish), 89 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. IX, Exile From the Iberian Peninsula, S. Simonsohn and D. Carpi (eds.), 1985. 267 pages (Italian, Latin, French, English), 199 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. X, Documentary Contributions to the History of the Jews in Various Lands, and Focuses on the Jews of England, Ireland, Canada, and Surinam, S. Simonsohn and R. Rockaway (eds.), 1986. 234 pages (English), 76 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. XI, The Jews and the Conversos in Christian Spain, S. Simonsohn and E. Gutwirth (eds.), 1989. 290 pages (French, English, Spanish), 36 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. XII, The History of the Jews in France in the Middle Ages and Modern Times, S. Simonsohn and J. Shatzmiller (eds.), 1991. 336 pages (French, English, Latin), 140 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. XIII, The Holocaust and the Nazi Era, S. Simonsohn and D. Porat (eds.), 1993. 167 pages (English), 126 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. XIV, History of the Jews in the Lands of Islam and the Surrounding Countries During the Middle Ages and in Modern Times, M. Rozen and S. Simonsohn (eds.), 1997. 62 pages (English), 282 pages (Hebrew) ; Vol. XV, On the Jews in the United States, S. Simonsohn and R. Rockaway (eds.), 2000. 235 pages (English), 25 pages (Hebrew) (ID #5048) $600.00.
50. • Rosenberg, Artur. BEITRAEGE ZUR GESCHICHTE DER JUDEN IN STEIERMARK. Wien Und Leipzig, Wilhelm Braumueller, 1914. 1st Edition. Paper wrappers, Some edge chips to paper wrappers, otherwise very good; Large 8vo; 10, 200 pages; From the private library of Dr. Guido Kisch, one of the 20th Century's most important historians of German Jewry (ID #2579) $100.00.
51. • Roth, Cecil. A HISTORY OF THE MARRANOS. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society, 1947. Cloth, 8vo, 424 pages. A classic. Contents include: Foreword, Introductory: The Antecedents of Crypto-Judaism, I. The Beginnings of Marranism, II. The Establishment of the Inquisition, III. The General Conversion in Portugal, IV. The Heyday of the Inquisition, V. The Inquisitional Procedure and the Auto-da-fe, VI. Saints, Heroes, and Martyrs, VII. The Religion of the Marranos, VIII. The Marrano Diaspora, IX. The Dutch Jerusalem, X. Resettlement in the New World, XII. Some Marrano Worthies, XIII. The Literature of the Marranos, XIV. The Decline of the Inquisition, Epilogue: The Marranos of Today, Notes, Bibliography, Index. Includes 14-page index Very slight bow to rear board, Very Good Condition Lacks Jacket? . (ID #4003) $35.00.
52. • Rozen, Minna; Yehyda Nini & Shlomo Simonsohn, editors. MICHAEL ON THE HISTORY OF THE JEWS IN THE DIASPORA. VOLUMES 1-14 (COMPLETE) . Tel Aviv, Diaspora Research Institute, 1997. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition; 8vo; ca 5000 pages; Beautiful comlete set of this important serial on Jewish history. In English and Hebrew. (ID #5048) $600.00.
53. • Schäppi, Peter. DER SCHUTZ SPRACHLICHER UND KONFESSIONELLER MINDERHEITEN IM RECHT VON BUND UND KANTONEN: DAS PROBLEM DES MINDERHEITENSCHUTZES. Zurich, Schulthess Polygraphischer V, 1971. 285 p. Very Good Condition; 'Dissertation der Rechts-und staatswissenschaf tlichen Fakultät der Universität Zürich zur Erlangung der Würde eines Doktors beid 4 folded maps at rear (2 large and 2 small) (ID #1834) $45.00.
54. • Schuster, Dr. . DIE REFORMATION UND DER TALMUD. EIN VORTRAG. Dresden & Leipzig, E. Pierson, 1903. Paper Wrappers, Cover split & detached, pre-war Jewish rubber stamps, inside good; 12mo; 49 pages; 20 cm. (ID #4910) $55.00.
55. • Skoss, Solomon Leon. PORTRAIT OF A JEWISH SCHOLAR. ESSAYS AND ADDRESSES. New York, Bloch Publishing Co. ,, 1957. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition Lacks Jacket? ; 8vo; 150 pages; 25 cm. Memorial volume for Skoss, "one of the great authorities of our times in the field of Judeo-Arabic literature. " Contens include: Solomon L. Skoss--ABio graphy (by Solomon Grayzel) ; Incidents in the Life of Doctor Skoss (by Irene K. Skoss) ; Professor Skoss--A Tribute (by Abraham I. Katsch) ; as well as 13 articles by Skoss on Jewish Hisotry & Personality; On Islam and the Moslems; and On Bee-Keeping. Also includes a glossary. (ID #5248) $40.00.
56. • Sourek, Karel & Hanna Volavkova, editors. STARY ZIDOVSKY HRBITOV V PRAZE: PRUVODCE HRBITOVEM A VYBER Z JEHO NEJDULEZITEJSICH PAMATEK ZE XIV.-XIX. STOL. Prague, Umelecka Beseda V Praze, 1947. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Very Good Condition; 8vo; 14, 41 pages; 21 cm. Pruvodce po museich, galeriich a pamatnicich ceskych; sv.3. Includes 1 map. Plates are of Jewish Grave scenes & stones (ID #5109) $30.00.
57. • Sourek, Karel & Hanna Volavkova, editors. STARY ZIDOVSKY HRBITOV V PRAZE: PRUVODCE HRBITOVEM A VYBER Z JEHO NEJDULEZITEJSICH PAMATEK ZE XIV.-XIX. STOLETI. Prague, Umelecka Beseda V Praze, 1958. Paper Wrappers, Very Good Condition; 8vo; 21, 41 pages; 21 cm. Pruvodce po museich, galeriich a pamatnicich ceskych; sv.3. Includes 1 map. Plates are of Jewish Grave scenes & stones (ID #5066) $30.00.
58. • Svehla, Karel, editor. . SBORNIK NARODNIHO MUZEA V. PRAZE. ACTA MUSEA NATIONALIS PRAGAE. RADA C. VO. III NO. 3/4. 1958. Prague, Sbornik Karodniho Musea, 1958. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, Paper starting to brown, solid, Very Good Condition; Large 8vo; 221 pages; In Czech; Manuscripts are primarily in Latin, Czech, & German. Guido Kisch's copy This issue is made up entirely of Miroslav Bohacek & Frantisek Cada's annoted bibliography, titled "Codices Zierotiniani Manu Scripti Bludovienses, " of 250 manuscripts from the Zerotin-Lilgenau library. Includes a 13-page index. (ID #3269) $30.00.
59. • Usque, Samuel. translated by Martin Cohen. CONSOLATION FOR THE TRIBULATIONS OF ISRAEL. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society, 1964. 1st Edition. Cloth, Very Good Condition in Very Good Jacket; 8vo; 354 pages; Guido Kisch's copy (ID #1808) $30.00.
60. • Yovel, Yirmiyahu. THE NEW OTHERNESS: MARRANO DUALITIES IN THE FIRST GENERATION. . 1999. Paperback, 8vo, LCCN: 99-489999. San Francisco : Swig Judaic Studies Program, University of San Francisco, 1999. Paper Wrappers, 8vo, 14 pages. 21 cm. Series: Swig lecture, 1999; Sections include: Introduction; The New Otherness; The Judaizers; Women as "Semi-Rabbis;" Interiority & Hope; Dialectical Paradoxes and Reversals; The Assimilated; The Drifters and Accommodators; Nostalgia vs. Hope; The Determined Neophytes; Marrano Anti-Judaism; The Spiritual Seekers; The This Worldly, the Skeptics, and the Heretics: The Career Seekers: an Early Individualism; The Proto-Universalists; Secularism and the Crisis of Transcendence; SUBJECT(S) Jews -- Spain. Marranos -- Spain. Christian converts from Judaism. Includes bibliographical references. OCLC lists 10 copies worldwide. Very Good Condition. (ID #13022) $30.00.
61. • Dabbs, Jack A. . DEI GRATIA IN ROYAL TITLES. Hardcover, Previous Owner's name on foredge, otherwise Very Good Condition in Very Good Jacket ; 8vo; The Hague, Mouton, 1971. 280 pages, plus 5 pages of photos. 25 cm. Bibliography on pages 195-208. Studies in European history, No. 22. This is a study of the function of the "Divine Right" of Royal Titles in the historical development of Europe treated as an onomastic problem. It begins with early concepts of the divine nature of kingship in pre-christian society and traces this to the present day. (ID #8888) $40.00.
62. • Douglas, David C. . WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR THE NORMAN IMPACT UPON ENGLAND (ENGLISH MONARCHS SERIES) . Hardcover, 8vo; University of California Press, 1964. Cloth, 8vo, 476 pages. Part of The English Monarchs Series. Includes Index, Bibliography, Chart Pedigress, Appendix A - F. Very Good Condition in Very Good jacket. A beautiful copy. (ID #10351) $25.00.
63. • Escribano, Jose Luis Oliva. BIBLIOGRAFIA DE MADRID Y SO PROVINCIA. TOMO [VOLUME] I: MANUSCRITOS E IMPRESOS. Madrid, Instituto De Estudios Madrilenos, 1967. 1st Edition (?). Paper Wrappers, Light wear, Very Good Condition; 8vo; viii, 476 pages; This volume only, though it stands alone for Manuscripts and imprints. Includes 5426 entries, many annotated. Excellent reference, Scarce. Volume IX in the Biblioteca de Estudios Madrilenos series. (ID #7121) $150.00.
64. • MENORAH JOURNAL. VOL. IXX # 2. NOVEMBER-DECEMBER, 1930. New York, Menorah Aoosciation, 1938. Paper Wrappers, Wear to spine & wrappers, Intneral binding split starting. Good; 4to; 111 + 12 pages; Includes "The Medieval University and the Jew" by Cecil Roth. Guido Kisch's copy Includes "Young Writer, Remembering CHicago, A Story, " by Albert Halper; "Letters from Abroad. Berlin: Vitalizing the German Stage" by Lion Feuchtwanger; "Roumania Backslides" by Philip S. Bernstein; "In the Country" by Charles Reznikoff, etc. (ID #3234) $20.00.
65. • Narkiss, Bezalel. HEBREW MANUSCRIPTS IN THE BRITISH ISLES. THE SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE MANUSCRIPTS. Oxford University Press. 1982. 2 Vols., 4to, 171 plates (some colored), in original cloth, in decorated slip-case. Very Good Condition. $125.00