Dan Wyman Books, LLC.
Open Daily by Appointment
"We Find Good Homes for Nice Jewish Books"
A MIX OF OVER 200 TITLES IN
JUDAICA & HEBRAICA
3. • Parker, Richard; Sharpe, Gregory. AN ESSAY ON THE USEFULNESS OF ORIENTAL LEARNING.
London, 1739. 1st edition.
17. • UNITED STATES LINES, PANAMA PACIFIC LINE: FAHRPLAN NACH UND VON AMERIKA. 1938. 1 page, quarter folded. Illustrated.
202. • Kurland, Samuel. COOPERATIVE PALESTINE; THE STORY OF HISTADRUT. New York Pub. By Sharon Books For The National Committee For Labor Palestine, 1947.
Welcome to our latest catalog, a mix of over 200 titles in Judaica.
Please also search our online inventory of over 6000 titles in Jewish Studies we have listed on line at www.DanWymanBooks.com, or search by author, title or keyword on our Nice Jewish Bookfinder. You'll also find interesting and unusual titles in related and overlapping fields in our recent catalogs, all online at www.DanWymanBooks.com
As always, every item is offered subject
to prior sale and is 100% returnable for any reason. Domestic shipping is
generally $5.00 for the first item and $1.00 for each additional item.
International shipments are at cost, generally $12.00 for smaller-size items and
$25.00 for larger size items.
All prices are in US Dollars. We prefer payment by credit card, but also accept checks in US funds or www.paypal.com. We will also gladly invoice your institution. Please do not order via fax at this time.
To order, please email us with your
requests to [email protected]
PLEASE ALSO LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE OUR LISTS OF OUT OF PRINT JUDAICA TITLES by emailing us at [email protected]
And feel free to forward this list to other colleagues who may be interested.
Special thanks to our cataloguers Anna Chapman and Avichayil Arfe for their work on this catalog.
We look forward to hearing from you.
SPECIAL ITEMS 1-4A
BIBLIOGRAPHY & REFERENCE 5-10
THE HOLOCAUST 16-36
19th CENTURY AMERICAN IMPRINTS 42-45
AMERICAN JEWISH HISTORY 46-62
ART, OBJECTS, & DANCE 63-69
GERMAN LANGUAGE AND GERMAN SPEAKING LANDS 88-101
OTHER COMMUNITY HISTORIES 108-112
KIMHI & MEDIEVAL GRAMMAR 117-120
LITURGY AND RELATED 124-125
RABBINICS AND MEDIEVAL 127-148
HARRY WOLFSON 174-178
WOMEN & RELATED 179-181
YIDDISH IMPRINTS 182-186
OTHER INTERESTING TITLES 211-219
1. • Leeser, Isaac. “HISTORY OF THE JEWS AND THEIR RELIGION.” In: Cyclopaedia of Religious Denominations. Containing Authentic Accounts of the Different Creeds and Systems Prevailing Throughout the World. Written by Members of the Respective Bodies. repaired Glasgow, Bell and Bain: (1853). Third edition. Leeser's contribution is 8 pages. In this overview of Judaism, the "Pastor of the Hebrew Portuguese Congregation, Philadelphia," Rev. Isaac Leeser, takes the reader back to the times of Abraham and Moses, presents Maimonides' Thirteen Articles of Faith, and quotes Mendelssohn's "Jerusalem" concerning the significance of the commandments and ceremonies. Very light stains, few stamps on title page. Original boards, spine repaired. Good+ Condition. (k-amr-2-1) (ID #21587) $800.00.
3. • Parker, Richard (1712?-1742) ; Sharpe, Gregory (1713-1771). AN ESSAY ON THE USEFULNESS OF ORIENTAL LEARNING. London: Charles Rivington, T. Cooper, W. Thurlbourn, 1739. 12mo. 60 pages. 1st edition. OCLC lists 13 copies worldwide. SUBJECT (S): Learning and scholarship -- Middle East. Middle Eastern philology. Middle East -- Civilization. Dedication signed [i. e. printed]: “Philoglottus. ” This is attributed to Richard Parker and also Gregory Sharpe. Halkett & Laing prefers Sharpe, however, the dedication reveals the author to be a fellow of Lincoln College, Oxford, making the attribution to Sharpe erroneous. Ex library. Covers missing, part of leather backstrip present, non-archival repair holding on first and last pages, bumped corners, good condition. (MX-20-9). We can have this item rebound for you. Please inquire. (ID #21555) $175.00.
4. • Rogers, J. SEFER TEHILIM. THE BOOK OF PSALMS: IN HEBREW, METRICALLY ARRANGED, WITH SELECTIONS FROM THE VARIOUS READINGS OF KENNICOTT AND DE ROSSI, AND FROM THE ANCIENT VERSIONS. VOLUME I. Oxford: J. H. Parker., 1833. Hardcover, 12mo. Xiii, 290 pages. In Hebrew with English preface. Volume one (of two) only. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew poetry, Biblical; Bible. O. T. Psalms. OCLC lists 5 copies worldwide. Back cover detached, spine repaired, occasional marginalia, notes back fly leaves, ex-library, good condition. (MX-20-13) (ID #21567) $130.00.
4A. • Scholten, Frank. PALESTINE ILLUSTRATED. VOL. I: JAFFA, THE GATE OF ENTRANCE. VOL. II: JAFFA THE BEAUTIFUL. COMPLETE IN 2 VOLUMES. Dijon, Imprimerie Darantiere, 1930. Original Cloth, 4to, English text. Two volumes. Vol. I:. (2) , 22, 203, (1 blank) , 26-38, (3 blank) pages, with 449 plates. Vol. II: (4) , 14, 169, (1 blank) , 15-25, (3) pages, with 371 plates. Limited edition of 1000 copies. Total of 820 striking black-and-white photographic illustrations. This photographic collection records life in the multi-ethnic port city of Jaffa, once the gateway to the Holy Land. Very Good+ Condition, a beautiful set. (k-amr-2-7) (ID #21593) $275.00.
BIBLIOGRAPHY & REFERENCE
5. • Alcalay, Reuben. THE COMPLETE ENGLISH-HEBREW DICTIONARY. Hardcover, 8vo, Hartford, Connecticut: Prayer Book Press, 1962. Colth, 8vo, 4270 pages. English to Hebrew dictionary. Paper slightly browning.. Very heavy book. Includes a small adenda for new words used in Hebrew. Printed in Israel. Reads left to right. Ex-library, otherwise Good in Good Jacket. Solid good copy. (k-mx-1-34) (ID #21438) extra shipping charge. $50.00.
6. • Gutmann, Joseph. HEBREW MANUSCRIPT PAINTING. New York: George Braziller, 1978. Wrappers; 4to. 118 pages. First edition. Illustrated with 19 black and white plates in the introductory section, followed by 40 color plates. Pictorial cover. Bibliography. SUBJECT (S): Illumination of books and manuscripts, Jewish. Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval. In dustjacket. Very good condition. (k-mx-1-13) (ID #21401) $20.00.
7. • Kaplan, Mitchell M. PANORAMA OF ANCIENT LETTERS: FOUR AND A HALF CENTURIES OF HEBRAICA AND JUDAICA; BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES AND DESCRIPTIONS OF 1,000 RARE BOOKS AND MANUSCRIPTS, FORMING A PART OF THE MITCHELL M. KAPLAN COLLECTION, PRESENTED TO NEW YORK UNIVERSITY JEWISH. CULTURE FOUNDATION. ILLUSTRATED WITH REPRODUCTIONS OF 300 TITLE PAGES. New York: No Publisher, 1942. Cloth, 4to. 316 pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew literature – bibliography – catalogs; Jewish literature – bibliography – catalogs; Jews – bibliography – catalogs. Wear and chippings to corners of cover and binding. Stained pages and cover. Hinge repair. Wear to cover. Otherwise, good condition. (mx-32-7k-mx-1-14) (ID #21427/21402) $100.00.
8. • Lerski, Jerzy J. JEWISH-POLISH COEXISTENCE, 1772-1939: A TOPICAL BIBLIOGRAPHY. New York: Greenwood Press,, 1986. Hardcover, xiv, 230 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. Series: Bibliographies and indexes in world history, ; no. 5. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Poland -- Bibliography. Joden. Geographic: Poland --Ethnic relations --Bibliography. Poland; Jews; Social conditions, 1772-1939 - Bibliographies. Note(s): Includes index. Very good condition. (k-mx-1-25) (ID #21472) $65.00.
9. • Shunami, Shlomo. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF JEWISH BIBLIOGRAPHIES. 1969 PHOTOGRAPHIC REPRINT OF "SECOND EDITION ENLARGED" 1965 WITH CORRECTIONS. PLUS SUPPLEMENT. Jerusalem: The Magnes Press, Hebrew University, 1969. Cloth; 8vo. Xxiv, 997, xxiii pages. 4727 entries. In English, Hebrew, and other languages. Prefatory material also in Hebrew. Indexes of names & subjects & titles. Includes corrections. Title on added title page: Mafteah ha-maftehot. Also Supplement (1975, xi, 464, xvi pages). This second edition is much enlarged, combining the listings from the 1936 first edition and its supplements with new and previously omitted materials. Includes more than 4, 700 entries for bibliographies on editions of the Bible and its parts, commentaries, versions, etc; history and religion of Israel; Jewish literature. Includes catalogues of private and public collections and some significant booksellers' catalogues as well as bibliographies. Bibliography -- Bibliography -- Jewish literature. Bibliography -- Bibliography -- Jews. Jews -- Bibliography. Jewish literature -- Bibliography. Littérature juive -- Bibliographie de bibliographies. Juifs -- Bibliographie de bibliographies. Juifs -- Bibliographie. Lucius N. Littauer Foundation copy. Front board loosening; non-archival repair has been made. Slight chippings to corners and binding of jacket. In dustjacket. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-16) (ID #21404) $140.00.
10. • (Tsherichover, Eliahu) Yivo. BIBLIYOGRAFYE FUN ELYOHU TSHERIKOVER. New York: YIVO, 1948. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 63, 7 pages. Includes 1951 supplement. SUBJECT (S): Cherikover, I. M, 1881-1943 – bibliography. SERIES: Serye "Organizatsye fun der Yidisher visnshaft" ; ; num. 37. The Yivo Institute for Jewish Research, a global organization, was founded in Berlin in1925, so “that Jews participate in scholarly research in their own language, and that the results of world scholarship be made available to those Jews unfamiliar with languages other than Yiddish. ” (Liptzin, EJ) Covers tanned around the edges, very good condition. (BIB-4-1) (ID #19878) $40.00.
11. • (Neuman, Abraham) Kohut, George Alexander, editor. STUDIES AND ESSAYS IN HONOR OF ABRAHAM A. NEUMAN. Philadelphia, E. J. Brill, 1962. 1st Edition. Cloth, Large 8vo, 650 pages. Abraham A. Neuman was President of Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning in Philadelphia. Contents include: The Oral Traditions of Pre-Crusade Ashkenazic Jewry (by Irving Argus) ; Medieval Nationalism and Jewish Serfdom (by Salo W. Baron) ; The Growth and Progress of Modern Hebrew (by William Chomsky) ; Jewish Participants in the Polish Insurrection of 1863 (by Abraham Duker) ; The Story of Ascama I of the Spanish and Portuguese Jewish Congregation of London with Special Reference to Responsa Material (by Isidore Epstein) ; Home Rituals and the Spanish Synagogue (by Solomon B. Freehof) ; The Papal Bull Sicut Judeis (by Solomon Grayzel) ; The Ordinary Jew in the Middle Ages (by Cecil Roth) ; The Colonial Jewish Peddlar (by Maxwell Whiteman); etc. Abraham Katsh's copy with bookplate. Small circle on bottom of front cover. Wear to edges of cover and binding. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-3) (ID #21391) $125.00.
12. • (Sixdenier) Crown, Alan D. ; and Lucy Davey, editors. ESSAYS IN HONOUR OF G.D. SIXDENIER: NEW SAMARITAN STUDIES OF THE SOCIETE D'ETUDES SAMARITAINES, VOLUMES III AND IV.. Sydney, N. S. W, University of Sydney, Mandelbaum Publishing, 1995. Paperback, 618 pages. ISBN: 0867589809, 0867589817. Includes illustrations & portraits; 26 cm. Series: Studies in Judaica (Sydney, N. S. W. ) ; no. 5. Notes: Title on added title page: Essays in honour of G. D. Sixdenier: new Samaritan studies of the Societe d'Etudes Samaritaines, III & IV. Proceedings of the Congresses of Oxford 1990... And Paris 1992. Includes index, list of contributors. Bibliographical references throughout. OCLC lists 16 copies worldwide. Subjects: Sixdenier, Guy Dominique, 1917- Samaritans--History--Congresses. Samaritans--Religion--Congresses. Samaritan literature--History and criticism--Congresses. Other Authors: Crown, Alan David. Davey, Lucy A. (Lucy Anne) Societe d'Etudes Samaritaines. Congress ([3rd]: , 1990: Oxford) Societe d'Etudes Samaritaines. Congress ([4th]: , 1992: Paris) Wavy cover. Very Good Condition. (mx-31-14) (ID #21423) $100.00.
13. • (Scholem, Gershom). STUDIES IN MYSTICISM AND RELIGION. MEHKARIM BA-KABALAH UVE-TOLDOT HA-DATOT. Jerusalem: Magnes Press, 1967. Cloth, Large 8vo. 387, 235 pages. First edition. Frontispiece tipped-in photograph of Scholem. In English and Hebrew. Presented to Gershom G. Scholem on his Seventieth Birthday by Pupils Colleagues and Friends. Includes bibliographical references and index. SUBJECT (S): Religion. Mysticism. Mysticism -- Judaism. Religion. Mysticisme. Mysticisme -- Judaïsme. Scholem is one of the towering figures of modern Jewish scholarship. This volume contains 16 essays in English, 5 in German, 4 in French, and 12 in Hebrew by distinguished scholars from all over the world, plus a bibliography of Scholem’s works. In jacket, slight chippings to edges. Otherwise, very good condition. (RAB-6-7) (ID #21444) $75.00.
15. • Neuman, Abraham A. & Solomon Zeitlin. THE SEVENTY-FIFTH ANNIVERSARY VOLUME OF THE JEWISH QUARTERLY REVIEW. Philadelphia, Jewish Quarterly Review, 1967. 1st Edition. Hardcover, 8vo; 592 pages; Smooth paper, very attractive printing. Contains 39 articles on Bible scholarship, medieval judaica, theology and Jewish Liturgy. Note(s): Bibliographical footnotes. Other Titles: Jewish quarterly review. Wear on cover and binding. From the Louis Littauer Foundation with bookplate. Slight yellowing of pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-46) (ID #21410) $60.00.
16. • THE JEWS IN NAZI GERMANY A HANDBOOK OF FACTS REGARDING THEIR PRESENT SITUATION. New York, American Jewish Committee, 1935. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, 8vo; x, 177 pages; 21 cm. List of recent German books on pages 64-66. Early expose of treatment of Jews in Germany. "A special chapter is devoted to an analytical summary of the anti-Jewish laws, decrees, and ordinances. Preceeding this chapter, is a concise description of the number, distribution, and economic situation of the Jews in Germany before the present Regime...Following this information is a brief outline of the methods and material of propoganda which paved the way for the anit-Jewish measures adopted after the accession of the National Socialists to power. " Hinge repair. Wear to cover binding. Slight stain on first cover page. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-2) (ID #21390) $75.00.
17. • UNITED STATES LINES, PANAMA PACIFIC LINE: FAHRPLAN NACH UND VON AMERIKA. 1938. 8vo. 1 page, quarter folded. Illustrated. In German. Holocaust-era steam ship promotional from travel from Germany. SUBJECT (S): Voyages and travels – United States; Voyages and travels – Germany; Ocean travel; Voyages to the pacific coast. An advertisment for steamer ship voyages to and from Europe and the United States, including the 1938-39 schedule. OCLC lists no copies worldwide. Pencil in margins, good condition. (MX-20-20) (ID #21574) $125.00.
18. • Apenszlak, Jacob; Kenner, Jakób; Lewkin, Izak; Polakiewicz, Majzesz. THE BLACK BOOK OF POLISH JEWRY, AN ACCOUNT OF THE MARTYRDOM OF POLISH JEWRY UNDER THE NAZI OCCUPATION. 1943. Cloth, Xvi, 343 pages. Plates, maps, facsims. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Poland. World War, 1939-1945 -- Atrocities. World War, 1939-1945 -- Jews. Guerre mondiale, 1939-1945 -- Pologne. Juifs -- Persécutions. Poland -- History -- Occupation, 1939-1945. In very good condition in a good jacket. (HOLO2-10-3) (ID #21434)
19. • Apenszlak, Jacob; Kenner, Jakób; Lewkin, Izak; Polakiewicz, Majzesz. THE BLACK BOOK OF POLISH JEWRY, AN ACCOUNT OF THE MARTYRDOM OF POLISH JEWRY UNDER THE NAZI OCCUPATION. 1943. Cloth, Xvi, 343 pages. Plates, maps, facsims. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Poland. World War, 1939-1945 -- Atrocities. World War, 1939-1945 -- Jews. Guerre mondiale, 1939-1945 -- Pologne. Juifs -- Persécutions. Poland -- History -- Occupation, 1939-1945. Yellowing of pages. Wear to binding. Slight chippings on edges of cover binding. Notes on first page. Hinge repair. Otherwise, good condition. (HOLO2-10-3) (ID #21439) $40.00.
20. • (Baltimore) Anita Kassof; Avi Y Decter; Deborah R Weiner. LIVES LOST, LIVES FOUND: BALTIMORE’S GERMAN JEWISH REFUGEES, 1933-1945. Baltimore, Md.: Jewish Museum Of Maryland, 2004. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 134 pages, illustrated. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jews, German -- Maryland -- Baltimore -- Exhibitions. Refugees, Jewish -- Maryland -- Baltimore -- History -- 20th century -- Exhibitions. Immigrants -- Maryland -- Baltimore -- History -- 20th century -- Exhibitions. In fine condition. (MX17-7) (ID #21487) $30.00.
21. • Borowski, Tadeusz. THIS WAY FOR THE GAS, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN; AND OTHER STORIES. New York, Viking Press, 1967. 1st U. S. Edition. Cloth, 8vo, 159 pages, 21 cm. Contents: This way for the gas, ladies and gentlemen. --A day at Harmenz. --The people who walk on. --Auschwitz, our home (a letter). --The death of Schillinger. --The man with the package. --The supper. --A true story. --Silence. --The January offensive. --A visit. --The world of stone. Subjects: Borowski, Tadeusz, 1922-1951 --Translations into English. Concentration camps--Poland--Fiction. Poland--Social life and customs--Fiction. Selected and translated [from the Polish] by Barbara Vedder. Uniform Title: [Short stories. English. Selections]. First US Edition. Slight yellowing of pages. In very good jacket. Very good condition. (k-mx2-9) (ID #21418) $40.00.
22. • Brand, Joel. DESPERATE MISSION: JOEL BRAND'S STORY. New York: Criterion Books, 1958. Cloth, 8vo, x, 310 pages, 22 cm. Uniform title Geschichte von Joel Brand. Includes index. Illustrated end papers. Subject: Brand, Joel, -- 1906-. World War, 1939-1945 -- Jews -- Rescue. Added author Weissberg-Cybulski, Alexander, 1901-1964. Translated from the German by Constantine FitzGibbon and Andrew Foster-Melliar. Article attached inside front cover. Slight chippings to top of back cover and binding, in dustjacket. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-9) (ID #21397) $30.00.
23. • Cohen, A. Rev. THE PSYCHOLOGY OF ANTISEMITISM. London: Woburn Press,. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 22 pages. In English. In good condition, some bent pages. (MX19-14) (ID #21544) $30.00.
24. • Frenkel, Eliezer, editor. LE PROBLEME JUIF VU ET SOLUTIONNE PAR FELIX ADERCA... ET AL. Jassy Romania, Cercle Cultural Juif De Roumanie, 1945. 1st Edition. Paper Wrappers, 8vo; viii, 204 pages; 22 cm. Very Early post-Holocaust Romanian analysis of the Holocaust and Antisemitism, published in Rumania in French. Scarce. Zionism. Antisemitism. Jews--Romania. Browning of pages. Wear to cover and binding. Hinge repair. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-4) (ID #21392) $125.00.
25. • Friedman, Tuviah. LONG DARK NAZI YEARS: FORTY YEARS AFTER THE COLLAPSE OF THE THIRD REICH, 1945-1985: A RECORD OF DOCUMENTS AND PHOTOGRAPHS OF ADOLF HITLER'S FINAL SOLUTION. New York: Tuviah Friedman, 1985. Paperback, 4to. Illustrated with photographs and facsimiles. In English and German. SUBJECT (S): Germany – history – 1933-1945 – sources – facsimiles; Germany – history – 1933-1945 – pictorial works; National Socialism – history – sources; Holocaust, Jewish (1933-1945) – sources; Germany – politics and government – 1933-1945 – sources.
Inscribed by Friedman, the editor. Corners bumped, front cover creased, pages clean, good+ condition. (MX-20-24) (ID #21578) $35.00.
26. • Goldschmidt, Eva. HUYENDO DEL INFIERNO NAZI. LA INMIGRACIÓN JUDÍO ALEMANA HACIA CHILE EN LOS AÑOS TREINTA. Santiago, Chile, RIL, 2008. 8vo, ISBN 978-956-284-647-9. Paperback, 8vo. 300 pages. Includes illustrations and facsimiles. In Spanish. “Fleeing the Nazi Hell. German Jewish Immigration to Chile in the Nineteen Thirties.” This book analyzes in detail the efforts made by German Jewish refugees of the Nazi period, the recognition of new forms of relationships, the tensions inherent in the political process in Chile, the presence of Nazi ideology in some cities, as well as the contributions which Jews began to make to their new homeland. It includes a series of testimonies by those who made the exodus, through which we can appreciate the importance of Jewish immigrants in Chilean economic and cultural life. The author fled Germany to Chile as a child with her parents in 1939. New Condition. (ID #21618) $40.00.
27. • Hilfsverein Der Juden In Deutschland, Zentralbüro Für Jüdische Auswanderungsangelegenheiten. JUDISCHE AUSWANDERUNG: KORRESPONDENZBLATT ÜBER AUSWANDERUNGS- UND SIEDLUNGSWESEN. Berlin: Schmoller & Gordon, 1938. Paper wrappers, Folio. 96 pages. In German. Illustrated, includes advertisements. Holocaust-era periodical for Jewish emigration from Germany. Important. SUBJECT (S): Jews – Germany. Pages a little tanned, some pages chipped, covers torn, repaired with clear tape, good condition. (MX-20-21) (ID #21575) $50.00.
28. • Holmes, John Haynes. THROUGH GENTILE EYES; A PLEA FOR TOLERANCE AND GOOD WILL. New York, Jewish Opinion Pub. Corp,, 1938. Cloth, 91 pages, 12mo, 18 cm. Holocaust-era plea for an end to the persecution of Jews in Germany. SUBJECT (S): Antisemitism. Jews -- Germany. Jews -- Persecutions. Browning of pages. Wear to binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-29) (ID #21476) $50.00.
29. • Klarsfeld, Serge. VICHY-AUSCHWITZ. LE ROLE DE VICHY DANS LA SOLUTION FINALE DE LA QUESTION JUIVE EN FRANCE. 1943-1944. Paris: Fayard, 1983. Wrappers; 8vo. 542 pages. In French. Illustrated with black-and-white photographic plates. Color illustration on front cover. Fully half of the book is reproduced documents, charts, maps, and statistical tables. Index and bibliography. OCLC lists 14 copies worldwide. Jews -- Persecutions -- France. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- France. World War, 1939-1945 -- Deportations from France. Holocauste, 1939-1945 -- France. Guerre mondiale, 1939-1945 -- France -- Juifs. Geographic: France -- Politics and government -- 1940-1945. France -- Ethnic relations. Some edgewear to covers and corners. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-15) (ID #21403) $60.00.
30. • Korczak, Janusz,. GHETTO DIARY. New York: Holocaust Library,, 1978. Hardcover, 191 pages, illustrated, 8vo, 23 cm. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Persecutions -- Poland -- Warsaw. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Poland -- Warsaw. Educators -- Poland -- Warsaw -- Diaries. Jews -- Poland -- Warsaw -- Diaries. Juifs -- Pologne -- Varsovie -- Persecutions. Holocauste, 1939-1945 -- Pologne -- Varsovie. Educateurs -- Pologne – Varsovie-- Biographies. Getto's. Joden. Note(s): Translation of: Pamietnik z getta. On dust jacket: Distributed by Schocken Books, New York. "The last walk of Janusz Korczak, by Aaron Zeitlin": p. 7-63. Other Titles: Last walk of Janusz Korczak. In dustjacket, very good condition. (k-mx-1-28) (ID #21475) $40.00.
31. • Kosinski, Jerzy. THE PAINTED BIRD. Boston and Cambridge, Houghton Mifflin Comapny and Riverside Press, 1965. Cloth, 8vo, 272 pages. First printing of the First edition with the repeated top lines on pages 270-271. A portrait of the Nazi mentality, by the author of "Being There". A young boy, perhaps a Gypsy, perhaps a Jew, is abandoned by his parents during World War II. He is left to wander alone from one Slav village to another, sometimes being hounded and tortured and sometimes sheltered and taught. Light wear to corners & spine, Jacket also has a bit of corner & spine wear. Thus Good+ in Good+ jacket. (k-holo-1-1) (ID #21480) $75.00.
32. • Lasker-Wallfisch, Anita. INHERIT THE TRUTH, 1939-1945: THE DOCUMENTED EXPERIENCES OF A SURVIVOR OF AUSCHWITZ AND BELSEN. Ondon: DLM,, 1996. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 168 pages.: ill. In English. SUBJECT (S): Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Personal narratives. Holocaust survivors. Lasker-Wallfisch, Anita. Ex library with usual markings. Inscription. In very good condition. (MX19-7). (ID #21537) $30.00.
33. • Mitscherlich, Alexander. DOCTORS OF INFAMY; THE STORY OF THE NAZI MEDICAL CRIMES,. New York, Henry Schuman, 1949. Cloth, 8vo, xxxix, 172 pages, illustrations, portraits. Yellowing of pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-12) (ID #21400) $50.00.
34. • Rudolph, E. B Von. GEORG RITTER VON SCHÖNERER: DER VATER DES POLITISCHEN ANTISEMITISMUS, VON EINEM, DER IHN SELBST ERLEBT HAT. Munchen: F. Eher Nachfolger, 1936. Cloth, 8vo. 140 pages. Facsimile and photograph illustrations. In German. First edition. Holocaust-era Antisemitic German publication on the father of political Antisemitism. SUBJECT (S): Jews – Austria; Schonerer, Georg von, Ritter, 1842-1921; Antisemitism. Has Nazi archive stamp, gift inscription, good condition. (MX-20-27) (ID #21581) $60.00.
35. • Tenenbaum, Joseph. IN SEARCH OF A LOST PEOPLE; THE OLD AND NEW POLAND. New York, Beechhurst Press, 1948. Viii, 312 pages, 22 cm. Bibliography on pages 306-307. Subjects: Jews -- History. World War, 1939-1945 -- Jews. Added author: Tenenbaum, Sheila. Inscribed note from the author to Charles Coren. Slight chippings to top, bottom and binding of jacket. In dustjacket. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-11) (ID #21399) $65.00.
36. • Tenenbaum, Joseph. UNDERGROUND, THE STORY OF A PEOPLE. New York: Philosophical Library, 1952. Cloth, 8vo, ix, 532 pages, 10 pages of plates, illustrations, maps, 23 cm. Includes bibliographical references on pages 517-518 and index. Subjects: World War, 1939-1945 -- Underground movements World War, 1939-1945 -- Jews. Jews -- History. Levi Kelman's copy with bookplate. Jacket has some rippings and tears on top and binding. In dustjacket. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-10) (ID #21398) $40.00.
37. • HENRY FORD'S PEACE EXPEDITION: WHO'S WHO. Christiana, Norway: Aas & Wahl, 1915. Paper wrappers, Large 4to. 29 leaves. Photograph illustration. Peace expedition led by the famous car manufacturer and Antisemite. SUBJECT (S): Peace – directories; World War, 1914-1918 – peace – directories; Henry Ford Peace Expedition (1915-1916) – directories. OCLC lists 5 copies worldwide (Stanford, Hoover Institute, Library of Congress, Univ of Chicago, Wisconsin Historical Society). Bumped corners, tears along spine, good condition. (MX-20-19) (ID #21573) $175.00.
38. • LA REVOLUCION ARGENTINA. NO. 1. Argentina: No Publisher, 0. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 12 pages. In Spanish. Argentinian Nazi publication. SUBJECT (S): National socialism – Argentina – periodicals. OCLC lists no copies worldwide. Good condition. (MX-20-30) (ID #21584) $35.00.
39. • NUESTRA LUCHA. NO. 6. Buenos Aires: No Publisher, 1986. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 14 pages. In Spanish. English title: Our struggle. Argentinian Nazi publication. SUBJECT (S): National socialism – Argentina – periodicals. OCLC lists no copies worldwide. Good condition. (MX-20-31) (ID #21585) $30.00.
40. • REBELION. NO. 13, 14. Buenos Aires: Frente Nacional Socialista Argentino, 0. Paper wrappers, 12mo. 64, 48 pages. Illustrated. Argentinian Nazi periodical. In Spanish. Includes two issues: No. 13, Feb. 1968 & No. 14, Sept. 1968. SUBJECT (S): National socialism – Argentina – periodicals. OCLC lists no copies worldwide. Good condition. (MX-20-29) (ID #21583) $60.00.
41. • Dearborn Independent, The. THE INTERNATIONAL JEW: THE WORLD'S FOREMOST PROBLEM. Complete in 4 volumes, issued serially. Dearborn, MI, Dearborn Publishing Co, 1921- 1922. Paperback, 12mo, ca 1000 pages. Singerman 0118: This set is "The most well-known American contribution to the literature of anti-Semitism" Wear to original wrappers, Good Condition. Important, here in its first edition. $300.00 Individual volumes also available. Please inquire.
19th CENTURY AMERICAN IMPRINTS
42. • ORDER OF PRAYER IN THE HOUSE OF MOURNERS. New York, M. Thalmessinger & Co., 1871. Cloth, 8vo, 17  pages. In English, German and Hebrew. Not in Singerman. Binding Loose, paper in good condition (k-amr-2-2). We can have this rebound for you. Please inquire. (ID #21588) $300.00.
43. • Ayer, Dr. M; Felix Adler and James K. Gutheim. HYMNS FOR DIVINE SERVICE IN THE TEMPLE EMANU-EL. COMPOSITIONS IN ENGLISH AND GERMAN. New York, M. Thalmessinger & Co., 1871. Cloth, 8vo, 71  pages. Singerman 2295. For the most part, German and English versions of same hymn face `a face. Bound with: Incomplete, unidentified 19th Century Reform Prayer-Book. Disbound, needs rebinding. We can have this rebound for you. Please inquire. (k-amr-2-3) (ID #21589) $200.00.
44. • Dov Aryeh Ber Leib Friedman. DERECH EMUNA: SHULCHAN ARUCH LEBENAI HANE’URIM. Philadelphia, S.S. Rosen, 1899. Original boards, 8vo, 4, 64 pages. Goldman 302. A pedagogic text teaching Jewish Religion and Morals. Spine replaced, binding repaired, corners chipped. Some dampstaining, previous owner’s bookplate. Good Condition. (k-amr-2-4) (ID #21590) $50.00.
45. • Hecht, Emanuel; & Samuel Adler, Eds. ; Maurice Mayer, translator. BIBLICAL HISTORY FOR ISRAELITISH SCHOOLS, WITH A BRIEF OUTLINE OF THE GEOGRAPHY OF PALESTINE. New York, M. Thalmessinger, 1881. 10th Edition. Cloth, 12mo, 144 pages. Adler was rabbi of Temple Emanu-El in New York. Variant edition of Singerman 2443 (8th ed of 1874). Translated from the German. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. -- History of Biblical events. OCLC lists no copies at all of this edition, and only 11 copies worldwide of any edition. Wear to cover and binding.Cover binding very fragile. Hinge repair. First page not attached to binding. Stained pages. Stain on last page of book. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx2-1) (ID #21411) $150.00.
AMERICAN JEWISH HISTORY
46. • (Atlanta) Hertzberg, Steven.. STRANGERS WITHIN THE GATE CITY: THE JEWS OF ATLANTA, 1845-1915. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society of America 1978 1st edition, Cloth, 8vo, xiii, 325 pages, 5 leaves of plates, illustrations, 24 cm, ISBN: 0827601026. Colored end pages with maps, photographs. Chippings to edges of cover jacket. Scratches to back cover binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (mx-32-6) (ID #21426) $40.00.
47. • American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. TWENTY-ONE YEARS OF JDC ACTIVITY OVERSEAS. New York:, 1935. Paper Wrappers, Folio. In English, with diagrams and illustrations. Ex library in very good condition. (MX17-3) (ID #21483) $35.00.
48. • (Baltimore) Jewish Museum Of Maryland. ENTERPRISING EMPORIUMS: THE JEWISH DEPARTMENT STORES OF DOWNTOWN BALTIMORE. [Baltimore, MD]: Jewish Museum Of Maryland, 2001. Paper Wrappers, 88 pages. In English, illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Department stores -- Maryland -- Baltimore -- History -- Exhibitions. Jewish merchants -- Maryland -- Baltimore. Jews -- Maryland -- Baltimore -- Social life and customs. Jews -- Maryland -- Baltimore -- History -- Exhibitions. In fine condition. (MX17-6) (ID #21486) $30.00.
49. • Bloch, Joshua, compiler. THE PEOPLE AND THE BOOK: THE BACKGROUND OF THREE HUNDRED YEARS OF JEWISH LIFE IN AMERICA. New York: New York Public Library, 1954. Cloth; large 8vo. 134 pages. Quarter red cloth with gold lettering, decorative paper covered boards, indices. Twenty-six black-and-white illustrations. Preface by Louis M. Rabinowitz. Introduction by Joshua Bloch. "A tricentennial exhibition at the New York Public Library, sponsored by the Louis M. Rabinowitz Foundation, October-December, 1954." Includes bibliographical references (p. 11-12). Subject(s): Jews -- History -- Bibliography -- Exhibitions. Jews -- United States -- Bibliography -- Exhibitions. Wear to binding. Very good condition. (CT-2) (ID #21451) $55.00.
50. • Brodsky, Chaim Shraga. MAASEH CHOSHEV. New York, Y. Aaronson, 1907. Period boards,. 8vo, 16, 112 pages. First edition. Goldman, 731. Sermons. Includes stamp of the author. The author writes on pages 15-16 he arrived in America in 1886. Dampstained. Otherwise Good Condition (k-amr-2-5) (ID #21591) $50.00.
51. • Central Conference Of American Rabbis. UNION HYMNAL FOR JEWISH WORSHIP. New York: Bloch,, 1914. Cloth, 8vo. 333 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Church music, Hebrew. Jewish hymns. (ID #21506) $30.00.
52. • (Charleston, SC) Reznikoff, Charles. with The Collaboration Of Uriah Engelman. Forewd by Salo Baron. THE JEWS OF CHARLESTON [SOUTH CAROLINA]--A HISTORY OF AN AMERICAN JEWISH COMMUNITY. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society of America, 1950. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo, 343 pages. The first Jews settled in the area in the 1600s. Originally the community was Sephardic, later Ashkenazic. The Jewish community provided many soldiers for the Civil War. Photo endpapers compliment this thorough Southern Jewish community history. 8 pages of plates. 22 cm. Includes index. Bibliography on pages 267-325. Subject: Jews -- South Carolina -- Charleston. Wear to corners of cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-5) (ID #21393) $60.00.
53. • Fishman, Hertzel. AMERICAN PROTESTANTISM AND A JEWISH STATE. Detroit, Wayne State University Press, 1973. Cloth, 8vo. 249 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Protestantism and Zionism. Israel -- Foreign public opinion, American. Israel -- Opinión extranjera americana OCLC. In very good condition, in a good jacket. (MX18-8) (ID #21510) $30.00.
54. • Hebrew Butcher Workers Union Local 234. 30 YEARS OF PROGRESS, 1909-1939, HEBREW BUTCHER WORKERS UNION LOCAL 234 AF OF L. [New York]: Hebrew Butcher Workers Union Of Greater N. Y,, 1939. Hardback, Folio, 104 pages, illustrated. In English. SUBJECT (S): Butchers -- New York (State) -- New York -- Labor unions. Butchers -- New York (State) -- New York. Jewish labor unions -- New York (State) -- New York. Belsky, Joseph. In very good condition. (MX17-8) (ID #21488) $50.00.
55. • Kranzler, George. THE FACE OF FAITH: AN AMERICAN HASSIDIC COMMUNITY. Baltimore: Baltimore Hebrew College Press, 1961. Cloth , 4to. 117 pages. In English, frontis, illustrated. Ex library with usual markings in very good condition, with a very good jacket. (MX17-4) (ID #21484) $45.00.
56. • (LA) Brizel, Florie. SINAI TEMPLE: A CENTENNIAL HISTORY 1906-2006. Los Angeles: Sinai Temple, 2007. Hardcover, 4to. X, 194 pages. Photograph illustrations. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Synagogues – California – Los Angeles – history; Jews – California – Los Angeles – history; Sinai Temple (Los Angeles, Calif) – history. ISBN: 097928550X. OCLC lists 6 copies worldwide. Has dust jacket. Fine condition. (MX-20-25) (ID #21579) $45.00.
57. • (LA) Hebrew Benevolent Society, Los Angeles. CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS OF THE HEBREW BENEVOLENT SOCIETY OF LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA. Los Angeles, Printed At The Southern Californian Office, 1855. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 12 pages. In English. Reprint. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- California. Los Angeles (Calif. ) -- Benevolent and moral institutions and societies. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (University of California, Berkley and University of California, Bancroft Library, Arlington) In very good condition. (MX17-20) (ID #21500) $30.00.
58. • Moses, Adolph. H. G. Enelow, Ed. YAHVISM AND OTHER DISCOURSES. Louisville, Kentucky: The Louisville Section of the Council of Jewish Women, 1903. Cloth; 8vo. Xlvii, 356 pages. Frontispiece portrait of the author. Nicely bound in brown cloth ; printed on laid bond. Rabbi Moses lived 1845-1902 and was a Reform Rabbi. Wear to binding. Hinge repair. First two pages, not attached to binding. Yellowing of pages. Otherwise, good condition. (AM-3) (ID #21445) $50.00.
59. • Schwartz, Marvin D. Museum Of American Jewish History. THE ROLE OF THE JEW IN THE FORGING OF THE NATION. [Philadelphia] Museum Of American Jewish History, 1976. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 1 v. (unpaged) ill, facsims, map, ports. In English. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- United States -- History -- Exhibitions. OCLC Lists 14 copies worldwide. In very good condition. MX19-6 (ID #21536) $30.00.
60. • Wertheimer , Jack. TRADITION RENEWED: A HISTORY OF JEWISH THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY. New York, N. Y.: The Seminary,, 1997. Cloth , 4to. 1st edition. In English, illustrated. 2 very large volumes. SUBJECT (S): Conservative Judaism -- United States -- History. Hoger onderwijs. Jewish Theological Seminary of America. Jodendom. Jewish Theological Seminary of America -- History. In like new condition. (MX17-5/k-mx2-5) (ID #21485/21416) $65.00.
62. • (West Hartford, Ct). CONGREGATION AEUDAS ACHIN. West Hartford, CT, 1987. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. In English. In very good condition. (MX19-24) (ID #21554) $30.00.
ART, OBJECTS, & DANCE
63. • SHIV’IM YETSIROT GRAFIYOT SHEL BENE NO ‘AR YEHUDIM, ‘ARVIMU-DERUZIM. Yerushalayim: Keren Le-Zekher Y. Sh. Ments'el, 1985. Paper Wrappers, 4to. 38 Pages, 70 leaves of plates. In English and Hebrew. Added title page: Seventy Graphic Prints by Jewish, Arab and Druze Children. SUBJECT (S): Wood-engraving -- Israel -- 20th century. Children's art -- Israel. Jerusalem -- In art. OCLC lists: one copy worldwide (Ohio State University) In very good condition. (MX18-27) (ID #21529) $30.00.
64. • Freehof, Florence E. JEWS ARE A DANCING PEOPLE. San Francisco, Stark-Rath Printing & Pub. Co, 1954. Cloth, Folio. 71 pages. illus., music. In English. SUBJECT(S): Folk dancing, Jewish.Dance --
65. • Newman, Elias. ART IN PALESTINE. New York, Siebel Co, 1939. Cloth, 8vo. 125 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Art -- Palestine. Jewish artists. In very good condition. (MX18-5) (ID #21507) $30.00.
66. • (Prague). THE JEWISH MUSEUM OF PRAGUE: A GUIDE THROUGH THE COLLECTIONS. Prague: Umelecká Beseda, 1948. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 33 pages, illustrated with plates. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jewish museums -- Czech Republic -- Prague. Státní zidovské museum (Prague, Czech Republic) In Good condition. (MX17-9) (ID #21489) $30.00.
67. • (Prague) Sourek, Karel. THE OLD JEWISH CEMETERY OF PRAGUE: A GUIDE THROUGH THE CEMETERY AND A SELECTION OF ITS MOST IMPORTANT MEMORIALS FROM THE XIVTH – XIXTH CENTURY. Prague: Council Of Jewish Religious Communities Of Bohemia, Moravia, And Silesia, 1947. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 15 pages, illustrated. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Czech Republic -- Prague -- History. Sepulchral monuments -- Czech Republic -- Prague. Starý zidovský hrbitov (Prague, Czech Republic) In fair condition. (MX17-10) (ID #21490) $30.00.
68. • Raffalovich, Samuel. מטבעות היהודים ספר כולל תלדות המטבעות בישראל MATBEOT HA-YEHUDIM: SEFER KOLEL TOLDOT HA-MATBEOT BE-YISRAEL... Yerushalayim: Bi-Defus S. Tsukerman (Ephraim Deinard), 1913. Softcover, vi, 6, 199 pages, 35 plates, 8vo, 24 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Coins, Jewish. Other Titles: Coins of the Jews, history of Jewish coinage. Facsimile cover glued on to original paper. Spine repaired and replaced. Facsimile cover mounted onto front endpaper, which was inscribed by the publisher (Ephraim Deinard!) to Benjamin Smith, the mentor of Jacob Neusner. Wear to the cover. Stained pages. First 3 pages, chippings in lower left corner. Last 10 pages have small chips in lower left corner. Otherwise in good condition. (k-rab-2-2) (ID #21601) $75.00.
69. • Wischnitzer, Rachel.. SYNAGOGUE ARCHITECTURE IN THE UNITED STATES: HISTORY AND INTERPRETATION. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society, 1955. Cloth, Oblong 8vo, 204 pages, 23 x 29 cm. Loaded with photos. Jacob R. Schiff library of Jewish contributions to American democracy. Includes bibliographies. Browning and dirt on cover. Slight chips on cover binding. Browning of pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-41) (ID #21408) $50.00.
70. • Ehrlich, Arnold B. DIE PSALMEN. NEU ÜBERSETZT UND ERKLAERT. Berlin: M. Poppelauer, 1905. Leather; 8vo. Vi, 438 pages. This copy includes request slip from Bible Scholar Prof. Shalom Spiegel laid in. First edition. In German. Index and notes. Ehrlich was a Russian-born Bible critic who emigrated to the United States in 1878. "The publication of his German commentary on the Book of Psalms (1905) , which included a new translation, was a turning point in his life. It served as an introduction to his German commentary on the Bible, which like his Hebrew one consists of notes on the Bible, Randglossen zur hebraeischen Bibel (7 vols, 1908-14). Ehrlich included part of the material from his Hebrew commentary, but in an expanded form, as well as new interpretations arrived at since its publication; many of his earlier opinions are changed here. Only rarely does he comment on aspects dealt with by the "higher criticism. " He concentrates on textual criticism and reconstructions, and his very numerous emendations (especially in his German commentary) are at times conjectural (such as: haplography or dittography, letters having a similar appearance in the ancient or in the square script, the use of abbreviations, glosses, etc. ) , and in most cases are not even based on ancient translations. His comments, which are distinguished by their originality, at times have the quality of homiletics and are derived from Ehrlich's innovating spirit; yet through his sound linguistic instinct and fine linguistic differentiations he succeeded in illuminating and explaining, with great acumen and profundity, many verses and linguistic usages. Ehrlich's exegetical work is an important contribution to modern biblical exegesis. " (Raphael Weiss, EJ) SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. Psalms. German. 1905. Bible. O. T. Psalms -- Commentaries. Wear to binding. Chippings in corners of cover. Cover binding worn out. Browning of pages. Hinge repair. Otherwise, good condition. (mx-31-1) (ID #21419) $50.00.
71. • Philo. Translated by M. R. James. THE BIBLICAL ANTIQUITIES OF PHILO--NOW FIRST TRANLSATED FROM THE OLD LATIN VERSION. London; New York, Society for Promoting Christ, 1917. 1st Edition. Cloth, Small 8vo, 280 pages. 'Now first translated from the old Latin version by M. R. James. ' Wear on corners and edges of cover binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-rab-3-26) (ID #21385) $60.00.
72. • Alshekh, Moses, רוממות אל : באור ספר תהלים / שחבר משה אלשיך ROMEMOT EL: BEUR SEFER TEHILIM / SHE-HIBER MOSHEH ALSHEKH. Varsha: Defus Yitshak Goldman U-Varukh Kopelovitishts, 1875. Hardcover, 432 pages, 8vo, 23cm. Alshekh “studied in Salonika under Joseph Taitazak and Joseph Caro, and then emigrated to Erez Israel, settling in Safed, where he gained prominence as an halakhic authority, a teacher in two talmudic academies, and a preacher. He was active in communal affairs and was a member of the rabbinical court of Joseph Caro, who conferred upon him the full ordination which had been reintroduced by R. Jacob Berab. In turn, in 1590, Alshekh ordained Hayyim Vital, who was his disciple in halakhah. His major field of interest was halakhah but, acceding to requests to preach on Sabbaths, in the course of preparing his sermons he occupied himself also with Bible exegesis. He also engaged in the study of the Kabbalah, from which he derived the fundamentals of his religious philosophy. According to one tradition, Isaac Luria sought to dissuade him from pursuing kabbalistic studies. ” (Preschel, Tovia, and David Derovan in EJ, 2007). Library Info: Restricted BS1429.X31 A4 1875. SUBJECT(S): Bible. Psalms -- Commentaries, Homiletical. Bible. Psalms. Hebrew. 1875. Wear on cover and binding. Yellow pages. Stained pages. Hebrew inscriptions on front and back title pages including: “This book belongs to Rav Avraham Bar Dov Rabinowitz” (k-rab-2-10) (ID #21609) $60.00.
73. • Arnheym, Hayim. SEFER BE-MIDBAR: REVI`I LE-HAMISHAH HUMSHE TORAH HUH HUMASH HA-PIKUDIM (VOL 4 OF 5 ONLY). Glogau: Prausnitz, 1841. Hardcover, 104, 6 pages, 12mo. In Hebrew. Schr.Series: Torat Moshe ... meturgam 'ashkenazit u-mevo'ar bi-mekomot ha-tserikhim be'ur me'et Hayim ha-LeviArnheym; 4;
74. • Benjamin Mazar. HISTORY OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXPLORATION IN PALESTINE. Jerusalem: Bialik Foundation Of The Jewish Agency For Palestine, 1936. Cloth, 12Mo. 159 Pages, illustrated, fold out maps. In English. In good condition, in a good jacket. (MX18-25) (ID #21527) $95.00.
75. • Blank, Sheldon H. PROPHETIC FAITH IN ISAIAH. New York: Harper & Brothers,, 1958. Cloth, 8vo. X, 241 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Isaiah -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. In very good condition in a good jacket. (MX19-21) (ID #21551) $30.00.
76. • Braude, William G. THE MIDRASH ON PSALMS. New Haven, Yale University Press,, 1959. Hardcover, 2nd volume, 631 pages, 8vo, 22 cm. Series: Yale Judaica series, ; v. 13. SUBJECT (S): Psalmen (bijbelboek). Title Subject: Bible. O. T. Psalms -- Commentaries. Other Titles: Midrash Tehillim. English. Ex-library with usual markings. In dustjacket, good condition. (k-mx-1-27) (ID #21474) $50.00.
77. • Bronner, Leila Leah. BIBLICAL PERSONALITIES AND ARCHAEOLOGY. Jerusalem Keter Pub. House Jerusalem, 1974. Cloth, 8vo. vii, 216 pages. illus. In English. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O.T. -- Antiquities.Bible. O.T. -- Biography. In very good condition in a good jacket. (MX19-12) (ID #21542) $30.00.
78. • Burney, C. F. (Charles Fox) ,. ISRAEL'S SETTLEMENT IN CANAAN; THE BIBLICAL TRADITION AND ITS HISTORICAL BACKGROUND. London, Pub. For The British Academy By H. Milford,, 1919. Cloth, x, 104 pages, VI maps, 8vo, 25 cm. Series: The Schweich lectures, 1917; SUBJECT (S): Jews -- History -- 1200-953 B. C. Juifs -- Histoire -- 1200-953 av. J. -C. At head of title: The British academy. Wear on cover and binding,. Water stains to outside and inside front and back covers. Water stains on pages, text not effected. Otherwise, good condition. (k-rab-2-15) (ID #21614) $35.00.
79. • Klueger, Hermann. ÜBER GENESIS UND COMPOSITION DER HALACHASAMMLUNG EDUJOT: ABHANDLUNG ZUR ERLANGUNG DER DOCTORWÜRDE DER HOHEN PHILOSOPHISCHEN FAKULTÄT DER UNIVERSITÄT LEIPZIG. Breslau: Th. Schatzsky, 1895. Half Cloth. 8vo. 120 pages. First edition. In German. "Mit subvention der Zunz-Stiftung. " SUBJECT (S): Mishnah. Eduyyot-Criticism, Interpretation; Mishnah. Eduyyot-History. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Yale, Harvard). Marbled covers and edges. Lower right corner of cover missing. Colored endpapers. Binding slightly shaken. In Good Condition. (GERN-4-3). (ID #16754) $100.00.
80. • Kohut, George Alexander. A HEBREW ANTHOLOGY: A COLLECTION OF POEMS AND DRAMAS INSPIRED BY THE OLD TESTAMENT AND POST BIBLICAL TRADITION GATHERED FROM THE WRITINGS OF ENGLISH POETS... Cincinatti: Bacharach,, 1913. Cloth, 8vo. 2 volumes. In English. In very good condition (MX19-13) (ID #21543) $30.00.
81. • Rosmarin, Aaron. MOSES IM LICHTE DER AGADA. New York, The Goldblatt Pub. Co,, 1932. Hardcover, 157 pages, 8vo, 23 cm. In German. SUBJECT (S): Aggada. Named Person: Moses (Biblical leader). "Literaturverzeichnis" on pages 7-14; "Bibliographie" on pages 151-152. Wear on cover and binding. Hinge repair. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-rab-2-12) (ID #21611) $40.00.
82. • SEDER RINAH VE-TODAH: LE-YOM HAG HA-ATSMAUT SHEL MEDINAT YISRAEL. REJOICING AND THANKSGIVING: ON THE OCCASION OF THE CELEBRATION OF ISRAEL’S INDEPENDENCE DAY. Manchester: Manchester & District Synagogue Council In Conjunction With Manchester Zionist Central Council,, 1958. Cloth, 8vo. 27 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Independence Day (Israel) -- Prayer-books and devotions. Elizabeth II, Queen of Great Britain, 1926- -- Prayer-books and devotions. OCLC lists 3 copies worldwide (Harvard University, Harvard College Collection; New York Public Library Reserves; Ministerio De Educaion, Siu) In good condition. (MX18-15) (ID #21517) $30.00.
83. • (Galicia) Friedmann, Filip. DIE GALIZISCHEN JUDEN IM KAMPFE UM IHRE GLEICHBERECHTIGUNG (1848-1868). Frankfurt: J. Kauffmann, 1929. Wrappers; 8vo. 215 pages. First edition. In German. Series: A. S. Bettelheim-Stiftung in Wien. Veröffentlichungen; Band. 3. Includes bibliographical references. Appendix, index, abbreviations, and errata at end. SUBJECT (S): Jews in Austria -- Emancipation. Geographic: Galicia (Poland and Ukraiine) -- Emancipation. Wear to cover and binding. Slight chippings on corners and binding of cover. Brown and fragile pages. Hinge Repair. First 4 pages and front cover not attached to binding. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-36) (ID #21407) $100.00.
84. • Davidovitch, David. ציורי־קיר בבתי־כנסת בפולין TSIYURE-KIR BE-VATE-KENESET BE-POLIN. Yerushalayim: Mosad Byalik,, 1968. Hardcover, 116 pages, 30 pages of illustrations, 8vo, 25 cm. In Hebrew. Wall-Paintings of Synagogues in Poland. SUBJECT(S): Synagogue art -- Poland. Synagogues -- Poland. Note(s): Includes bibliographical references. In dustjacket, very good condition. (k-mx-1-31) (ID #21478) $50.00.
85. • Dicker, Herman. PIETY AND PERSEVERANCE: JEWS FROM THE CARPATHIAN MOUNTAINS. New York: Sepher-Hermon Press,, 1981. Cloth, 8vo. Xviii, 226 pages.  p. Of plates: ill. In English. SUBJECT (S): Descriptor: Jews -- Ukraine -- Zakarpats’ka oblast’ -- History. Jews -- Romania -- Sighetu Marmatiei -- History. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Ukraine -- Zakarpats’ka oblast’. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Romania -- Sighetu Marmatiei. Hasidism -- Ukraine -- Zakarpats’ka oblast’. Hasidism -- Romania -- Sighetu Marmatiei. Joden. Geographic: Zakarpats’ka oblast’ (Ukraine) -- Ethnic relations. Sighetu Marmatiei (Romania) -Ethnic relations. In good condition in a good jacket. (MX19-8) (ID #21538) $40.00.
86. • Spire, Abraham. LE JOURNAL REVOLUTIONNAIRE D’ABRAHAM SPIRE. Lagrasse, France]: Institut Alain De Rothschild/Verdier,, 1989. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 160 pages. In French. SUBJECT (S): Périodiques juifs -- France. Spire, Abraham France -- histoire -- 1789-1799 (Révolution) dans la presse. France -- History -- Revolution, 1789-1799. France -- History -- Revolution, 1789-1799 -- Personal narratives. OCLC lists twenty-eight. Good condition. (MX17-22) (ID #21502) $20.00.
87. • Szajkowski, Zosa. JEWS AND THE FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION. New York: Ktav Pub. House, 1975. Hardcover, 280 pages, illustrated, 24 cm. SUBJECT(S): World War, 1939-1945-- Participation, Jewish. Jews -- Persecutions --
GERMAN LANGUAGE AND GERMAN SPEAKING LANDS
88. • Schlesinger, Heinrich. CHRONOLOGISCHES HANDBUCH ZUR GESCHICHTE DER JUDEN:. Berlin: Adolf Cohn Verlag und Antiquariat, 1872. Half Cloth. 8vo. 211 pages. First edition. In German. SUBJECT (S): Jews-History-Chronology. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide (Yale, Harvard, Yeshiva University, Jewish National and University Library). Marbled covers and edges. Covers detached. Creasing on some pages. Overall in Good Condition. (GERN-4-1). (ID #16753) $140.00.
89. • BLATTER HERAUSGEGEBEN VON DEM GRUPPENVERBAND DER AGUDAS JISROEL UND DER AGUDAS JISROEL JUGEND-ORGANISATION. Frankfurt: AM, 1918. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 16 pages. In German. In good condition. (MX17-19) (ID #21499) $30.00.
90. • Nobel, Josef. THABOR: BETRACHTUNGEN ÜBER DIE HAFTARAS VOM GANZEN JAHRE. Frankfurt A. M.: J. Kauffman, 1899. Cloth, 8vo. Vi, 352 pages. In German. SUBJECT (S): Jewish sermons; Sermons, German. OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. Wear to cover and binding. Slight chippings on bottom and top edges of cover binding. Inscription on inside cover from Mr. Krug. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx2-2) (ID #21412) $30.00.
91. • (Mendelssohn, Moses) Altmann, Alexander. MOSES MENDELSSOHN--A BIOGRAPHICAL STUDY. London, Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1973. 1st Edition. Cloth, Large 8vo, 900 pages. Published by the Littman Library of Jewish Civilization. Massive tome. Includes 25-page index. Slight spotting on back cover. In dust jacket, very good condition. (k-mx-1-7) (ID #21395) $40.00.
92. • (Austria) Eidelberg, Shlomo. JEWISH LIFE IN AUSTRIA IN THE XVTH CENTURY: AS REFLECTED IN THE LEGAL WRITINGS OF RABBI ISRAEL ISSERLEIN AND HIS CONTEMPORARIES. Philadelphia: Dropsie College, 1962. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo; 140 pages; Important work. Slight mark on top section of cover binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-rab-3-28) (ID #21387) $60.00.
93. • Kisch, Guido. THE JEWS IN MEDIEVAL GERMANY; A STUDY OF THEIR LEGAL AND SOCIAL STATUS. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1949. First Edition; First Printing. Cloth, 8vo; xv, 655 pages; 24 cm. Bibliography on pages 565-605. First edition. Kisch received the I. Hirschfield award for "Best non-fiction work on Jewish history" for this work. Hinge repair. Tears to corners of cover, binding, and top section of jacket. (k-mx-1-8) (ID #21396) $50.00.
94. • Berkley, E. VIENNA AND ITS JEWS THE TRAGEDY OF SUCCESS 1880’S-1980’S. Cambridge, MA: Abt Books ; Lanham, Md.: Madison Books, 1988. Cloth, 8vo. 422 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Austria -- Vienna -- History. Vienna (Austria) -- Ethnic relations. In very good condition, in a very good jacket. (MX17-1) (ID #21481) $30.00.
95. • Graetz, Heinrich; Rueven Michael. TAGEBUCH UND BRIEFE. Tubingen: Mohr, 1977. Hardcover, 8vo. Xiv, 469 pages. In German. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jewish historians – Germany – biography; Graetz, Heinrich, 1817-1891. SERIES: Schriftenreihe wissenschaftlicher Abhandlungen des Leo-Baeck-Instituts ; ; 34, ; Variation: Schriftenreihe wissenschaftlicher Abhandlungen des Leo Baeck Instituts ; ; 34. ISBN: 3168387622. Graetz (1817-1891) was born in Poznan, and studied rabbinics in Wolsztyn, where he also taught himself French and Latin. After, he studied with S. R. Hirsch, and then at Breslau University; due to anti-semitic rules, however, he presented his Ph. D. Thesis at Jena. The History of the Jews, originally written in German, “was the first comprehensive attempt to write the history of the Jews as the history of a living people and from a Jewish point of view, ” and Graetz's life work. (Ettinger, EJ) Has dust jacket. Very good condition. (MX-20-26) (ID #21580) $80.00.
96. • Hirsch, Mendel. DIE KLAGELIEDER NACH UBERSETZUNG VON MENDEL HIRSCH NEBST ANMERKUNGEN. Frankfurt Am Main, J. Kauffmann, 1903. Cloth , 8vo. 21 pages. In German. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide (University of California Los Angeles; University of California S REg Library Fac; George Washington University, Florida Atlantic University). Mendel, (1833–1900) , was an educator and a writer. The eldest son of Samson Raphael Hirsch, from 1855 he taught Jewish and general subjects at the high schools founded by his father in Frankfort. From 1877 he was their principal and for 17 years was also headmaster of the Jewish elementary school. He contributed a series of articles on pedagogical subjects to the monthly Jeschurun, published by his father. (EJ, Staff) In Good condition. (MX17-21) (ID #21501) $50.00.
97. • Kisch, Guido. Forschungen zur Rechts- und Sozialgeschichte der Juden in Deutschland wahrend des Mittelalters. Sigmaringen, Jan Thorbecke Verlag, 1978. 2nd Revised Edition. 1st Printing. Cloth, 8vo, 336 pages. 24 cm. Bibliography on pages 269-299. Kisch's own copy. Slight yellowing to pages. Wear to cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-6) (ID #21394) $85.00.
98. • Reissner, Hanns Gunther. EDUARD GANS: EIN LEBEN IM VORMÄRZ. Tubingen: Mohr, 1965. Cloth, 8vo. X, 203 pages. Illustrated. In German. SUBJECT (S): Jews – Germany; Gans, Eduard, 1798-1839. SERIES: Schriftenreihe wissenschaftlicher Abhandlungen des Leo Baeck Instituts, ; 14; Variation: Leo Baeck Institute. ; Schriftenreihe wissenschaftlicher Abhandlungen, 14. Has dust jacket. Very good condition. (MX-20-23) (ID #21577) $30.00.
99. • Rubin, Simon. DAS TALMUDISCHE RECHT, AUF DEN VERSCHIEDENEN STUFEN SEINER ENTWICKLUNG MIT DEM RÖMISCHEN VERGLICHEN UND SYSTEMATISCH DARGESTELLT. SACHENRECHT. Vienna: Steinmann, 1938. Paper wrapeprs, 8vo. 253 pages. In German. SUBJECT (S): Jewish law – history; Roman law; Comparative law. Leo Jung’s copy, with stamp. Hinge repair. Fragile, brown pages. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-33) (ID #21406) $35.00.
100. • Siebentes Blatt. BLATTER HERAUSGEGEBEN VON DER AGUDAS JISROEL JUGEND-ORGANISATION. Frankfurt: AM, 1916. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 20 pages. In German. In good condition. (MX17-18) (ID #21498) $30.00.
101. • Sorkin, David. THE TRANSFORMATION OF GERMAN JEWRY, 1780-1840. New York: Oxford University Press, 1987. Cloth, 8vo. 255 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jews – Germany – history – 1800-1933; Jews – Germany – intellectual life; Haskalah – Germany; Judaism – Germany – history -- 19th century; Subculture – Germany; Germany – ethnic relations. SERIES: Studies in Jewish history. Note(s): Includes index. Bibliography: p. 225-245. Minimal tear on cover, near binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-43) (ID #21409) $30.00.
ITALY AND RELATED
102. • MA’ARIV ‘ARAVIM... LE-LEL KIPURIM... Livorno (Leghorn): No Publisher, 1796. Quarter-leather, 16mo (small) , 46 leaves. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Liturgy -- Texts. Mahzor. Yom Kippur. OCLC lists 2 copies worldwide (Harvard & BHU). Wear to boards, pen mark on title page, Good+ Condition. Scarce. (IT-7-3) (ID #21597) $300.00.
103. • Reggio, Isaacus. משכרת י׳׳ש׳׳ר :תשורה לאוהיו MAZKERET YASHAR: TESHURAH LE-OHAVAV. Vienna: Gedruckt Bei Franz Edlen Von Schmid, Austria; Vienna, 1849. Hardcover, 46 pages, 12mo, 18 cm. In Hebrew. 1st edition. Reggio (1784-1855) was “one of the founders of the Collegio Rabbinico Italiano. He published an Italian translation of the Pentateuch, with a Hebrew commentary (Vienna, 1821) , and wrote Ma'amar Torah min ha-Shamayim ("The Torah as Divinely Revealed, " Vienna, 1818) to prove the divine authority of the Pentateuch. Among his other biblical works are a poetic version in Italian of the Book of Isaiah (Udine, 1831) ; a Hebrew introduction to the Scroll of Esther (Vienna, 1841) ; and Italian translations of the books of Joshua, Ruth, and Lamentations, and of Pirkei Avot. In Ha-Torah ve-ha-Filosfyah (Vienna, 1827) , written under the influence of Mendelssohn, Reggio tried to show that reason and philosophy were compatible with the Torah. His Iggerot Yashar (1834–36) are exegetic, historical, and philosophical notes in the form of letters to friends. He also edited some of the writings of Leone di Modena and wrote Behinat ha-Kabbalah (Gorizia, 1852). Reggio published other works on Kabbalah and philosophy in Bikkurei ha-Ittim ha-Hadashim under the pseudonym Iashar. His autobiography, Mazkeret Yashar, appeared in Vienna (1849). His Hebrew correspondence with S. D. Luzzatto was collected by V. Castiglione (1902) ; it shows their mutual esteem and friendship. Reggio also wrote some halakhic and pedagogical works, one of which appeared in English: A Guide for the Religious Instruction of Jewish Youth (London, 1855). His views on Judaism did not always conform to tradition and led to polemics with German rabbis as well as his own father, Abraham Reggio. ” (Rabello in EJ, 2007). SUBJECT(S): Named Person: Reggio, Isaacus. Wear on cover and binding. Stained pages. Hinge repair. Bookplate. Otherwise good condition. (k-rab-2-13) (ID #21612) $150.00.
104. • Azulai, Hayyim Joseph David (1724-1806). Vital, Hayyim Ben Joseph (1542 Or 3-1620). SEFER LEV DAVID. Lyck: Nidpas be-vet ha-defus shel... Tsevi Hirsh Funetsall,, 1861. Cloth, 16mo (small) , 68 leaves; 18 cm. Musar Ve-Hanhagot Be-Lamed Bet Perakim…. Shishah perakim ha-rishonim meyuhasim le-Hayim Vital. In Hebrew. Azulai (known by his Hebrew acronym Hida, Hayyim Yoseph David Azulai; 1724–1806) , was a “halakhist, kabbalist, emissary, and bibliographer. … He studied under some of the outstanding Jewish scholars of his age including Jonah Navon, Isaac ha-Kohen Rapoport, and Hayyim ibn Attar. Azulai attained early eminence in Jewish studies and was regarded by the Jewry of the Ottoman Empire and of Italy as the leading scholar of his generation” (EJ 2007). Penn lists a copy of this edition, with 68 leaves, and OCLC lists 1 copy of this edition as well. SUBJECT(S): Jewish ethics. Light wear to paper, bound in modern boards, small number on spine, otherwise Very Good Condition. A Nice Copy. (IT-7-2) (ID #21596) $125.00.
105. • Ferdinand Gregorovius. THE GHETTO AND THE JEWS OF ROME. New York: Schocken Books, 1948. Cloth , 8vo. 120 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jewish ghettos -- Italy -- Rome -- History Ex library with usual markings. In good condition. (MX17-17) (ID #21497) $30.00.
106. • Reggio, Isaacus (Yitshak Shemu’el Regyo).ספר תורת האלהים : ...כולל חמשה חמשי תורה : מתורגמים איטלקית ומבוארים ביאור חדש כפי פשטי הכתובים וכללי הלשון SEFER TORAT HA-ELOHIM: KOLEL HAMISHAH HUMSHE TORAH: METURGAMIM ITALKIT U-MEVO’ARIM BE’UR HADASH... LEGGE DI DIO, OSSIA IL PENTATEUCO. TRADOTTA IN LINGUA ITALIANA. VOL 5: DEVARIM/DEUTERONIMO ONLY (OF 5). Vin (Vienna): Be-vet A. Shtrois/Strauss., 1821. Half-leather, 12mo, 172 leaves, [3 leaves]. 1 volume of 5 only; 19 cm. In Hebrew & Italian. Reggio (1784-1855) was “one of the founders of the Collegio Rabbinico Italiano. He published an Italian translation of the Pentateuch, with a Hebrew commentary (Vienna, 1821), and wrote Ma'amar Torah min ha-Shamayim ("The Torah as Divinely Revealed," Vienna, 1818) to prove the divine authority of the Pentateuch. Among his other biblical works are a poetic version in Italian of the Book of Isaiah (Udine, 1831); a Hebrew introduction to the Scroll of Esther (Vienna, 1841); and Italian translations of the books of Joshua, Ruth, and Lamentations, and of Pirkei Avot. In Ha-Torah ve-ha-Filosfyah (Vienna, 1827), written under the influence of Mendelssohn, Reggio tried to show that reason and philosophy were compatible with the Torah. His Iggerot Yashar (1834–36) are exegetic, historical, and philosophical notes in the form of letters to friends. He also edited some of the writings of Leone di Modena and wrote Behinat ha-Kabbalah (Gorizia, 1852). Reggio published other works on Kabbalah and philosophy in Bikkurei ha-Ittim ha-Hadashim under the pseudonym Iashar. His autobiography, Mazkeret Yashar, appeared in Vienna (1849). His Hebrew correspondence with S.D. Luzzatto was collected by V. Castiglione (1902); it shows their mutual esteem and friendship. Reggio also wrote some halakhic and pedagogical works, one of which appeared in English: A Guide for the Religious Instruction of Jewish Youth (London, 1855). His views on Judaism did not always conform to tradition and led to polemics with German rabbis as well as his own father, Abraham Reggio.” (Rabello in EJ, 2007). SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. Pentateuch -- Commentaries. Bible. O. T. Pentateuch. Hebrew. 1821.; Bible. ; O. T. ; Pentateuch. ; Italian. ; 1821. OCLC lists 12 copies worldwide, some incomplete. Lacks final leaf of index, substantial tears to Hebrew title page with some loss of text, heavy wear to boards, but solid, Good- condition. (IT-7-1) (ID #21595) $150.00.
107. • (Venice) Roth, Cecil. VENICE. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society Of America, 1930. Cloth , 8vo. 380 pages. In English, frontis. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Italy -- Venice. (ID #21496) $30.00.
OTHER COMMUNITY HISTORIES
108. • (China) Pollak, Michael. MANDARINS, JEWS, AND MISSIONARIES: THE JEWISH EXPERIENCE IN THE CHINESE EMPIRE. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society Of America,, 1980. Hardcover, xviii, 436 pages, illustrated, 8vo, 25 cm. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- China -- History. Missions -- China. Joden. Geographic: China -- History. Note(s): Includes index. Bibliography: p. 356-363. Slight tear on top section of front and back jacket. Slight browning of pages. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-22) (ID #21469) $30.00.
109. • Fishman, Isidore.. THE HISTORY OF JEWISH EDUCATION IN CENTRAL EUROPE FROM THE END OF THE SIXTEENTH TO THE END OF THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY. London: E. Goldston, 1944. Cloth, 8vo, 176 pages, 22 cm. First edition. Thesis - University of London. Includes index. Bibliography on pages 132-141. Subjects: Jews -- Education -- History 16th-18th centuries. Jews -- Education -- History. Hinge repair. Very good condition. (ComHist-7-2) (ID #21447) $50.00.
110. • (South Africa) Kollenberg, Adrienne and Lisa Greenstein. JEWISH LIFE IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN COUNTRY COMMUNITIES. Johannesburg: South African Friends Of Beth Hatefutsoth,, 2008. Softcover, illustrated, maps, portraits, 4to, 23 x 24 cm. 215, 528, 500 pages. Contents: Volume 1: The northern Great Escarpment, the Lowveld, the northern Highveld, the Bushveld -- Volume 2: Boland, Bushmanland, Central Karoo, Fairest Cape, Griqualand West, Kalahari, Koup, Namaqualand, Swartland, West Coast. Volume 3: Camdeboo, Cape Midlands, Garden Route, Griqualand East and Transkei, Langkloof, Little Karoo, North Eastern Cape, Overberg, Settler Country. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- South Africa -- History. Jews -- South Africa -- Social life and customs. Country life -- South Africa -- History. City and town life -- South Africa -- History. Geographic: South Africa -- History, Local. Note(s): Includes bibliographical references and index. The first two volumes, part of the unique on-going research project of South African Friends of Beth Hatefutsoth (or the Museum of the Jewish Diaspora), have enjoyed great success among readers, both in South Africa and abroad. Volume One focused on the northern and eastern Transvaal areas (mainly comprising today's Limpopo and Mpumalanga provinces). Volume Two focused on the Western Cape. The final instalments will cover the Free State and KwaZulu-Natal, and the southern Gauteng area, including the various towns on the East and West Rand. The third volume of Jewish Life in the South African Country Communities, chronicling the history of the once strong and now largely vanished Jewish presence in the smaller towns and rural districts of South Africa, has now been published. The book starts with the earliest settlement of Jews in South Africa, before and including the 1820 Settlers. The areas covered in the new volume include the Garden Route, Little Karoo, the Cape-Midlands, Overberg and Settler country. The publication is sought after Africana and is of interest to all those, Jews and others, who lived in the country towns and shared their lives, as well as those who holidayed in the area. It will also appeal to historians, genealogists, and librarians. The research covers almost 1500 small towns and villages in South Africa where Jews lived. No village, hamlet or railway siding has been too small; so long as there has been a Jewish presence there, every location has found its way into the record. In addition to recording the story of the various Jewish communities, it also recounts the history of the places in which they lived. The book also includes many colorful anecdotes of life in the country towns and villages, as well as numerous hitherto unpublished photographs. New Condition. Printed on heavy glossy paper. (k-mx-1-18) Three large volumes, over 1200 pages total. (ID #21465) $210.00.
111. • (West Africa) Williams, Joseph John. HEBREWISMS OF WEST AFRICA--FROM NILE TO NIGER WITH THE JEWS. New York, L. Macveagh, the Dial Press, 1930. 1st Edition. Cloth, 1/8 of 1 page in table of contents torn away, Good Condition Lacks Jacket? ; 8vo; viii, 443 pages; 24 cm. Includes bibliography. Evidence for early Jewish migrations & dispersal of the lost tribes of Israel An effort to trace through diffusion, from the Nile to the Niger, the many Hebrewisms, real or apparent, which are to be found among distinctively Negro tribes in West Africa in general. Largely seen today as a discredited work of pseudo-scholarship, but interesting as a period piece and for what it is. Rough edges of pages. Wear to binding. Minimal chippings on edges of outer binding. Otherwise, good condition. (ComHist-16-27) (ID #21446) $70.00.
112. • Wischnitzer, Rachel. THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE EUROPEAN SYNAGOGUE. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 1964. 1st Edition. Cloth, Oblong 8vo; xxxii, 312 pages; Serious, well illustrated study with extensive index, end notes, bibliography, and glossary. In dust jacket, very good condition. (k-rab-3-29) (ID #21388) $75.00.
113. • Furst, Julius. GESCHICHTE DES KARAERTHUMS: BIS 900 DER GEWOHNLICHEN ZEITRECHNUNG. EINE KURZE DARSTELLUNG SEINER ENTWICKELUNG, LEHRE, UND LITERATUR MIT DEN DAZUGEHORIGEN QUELLENNACHWEISEN. Leipzig: Nies'sche Buchdruckerei,, 1862. Hardcover, vi, 186 pages, 20 cm. In German. Series: Schriften ; ; 7. Jahrg, 1861-62. SUBJECT (S): Karaites. Note(s): Bibliographical references included in "Verzeichniss der...Aufsätze. " (p. -186). Stained pages. Slight yellowing of pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-30) (ID #21477) $50.00.
114. • Hoerning, Reinhart. BRITISH MUSEUM KARAITE MSS. ESCRIPTIONS AND COLLATION OF SIX KARAITE MANUSCRIPTS OF PORTIONS OF THE HEBREW BIBLE IN ARABIC CHARACTERS ; WITH A COMPLETE REPRODUCTION BY THE AUTOTYPE PROCESS OF ONE, EXODUS I, 1-VIII, 5 IN 42 FACSIMILES. 1889. London: Williams and Norgate. Cloth, 4to, xii, 68 pages. Includes facsimiles. 31 cm. Inscribed by the author to Sir James Redhouse on the title page; he has in turn inscribed it to E. J. W. Gibb, Esquire. SUBJECT (S): Manuscripts, Karaite -- Bibliography. Karaitic literature -- Bibliography. Bible. O. T. -- Manuscripts. Very Good Condition (rab-24-27) (ID #21462) $170.00.
115. • HAGADAH SHEL PESACH. 1947. Original Printed Wrappers, 8vo. With Yiddish translation and commentaries. Issued by the Vaad Hatzala for the “She’erith Hapleita” in Europe’s DP Camps. Some staining, with stamp “Religieser - Amt, Troinstein. ” Yudlov 405; Yaari 2340. Very Good Condition. (k-amr-2-6) (ID #21592) $125.00.
116. • Eisenstein, Judah David. Illustrated by Lola [Sic]. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH: `IM OTIYOT ME`UTAROT VE-TSIYURIM B-TSEVA`IM SHONIM LE-SEDER LEL HAG HA-MATSOT. PETAH DAVAR, HAKDAMAH, HE`AROT U-MEKOROT. HAGADA ; THE NARRATIVE OF ISRAEL'S REDEMPTION FROM EGYPT. SEDER RITUAL FOR PASSOVER-EVE; HAGADA. Nyu-York: Hebrew Publishing Company, 1928. Cloth, 8vo, iv-xviii, 72, 71 pages. Includes many illustrations. 19 cm. In Hebrew & English. Yaari Nr. 2097. Paginated in duplicate. "New translation with annotations by J. D. Eisenstein...Targum hadash be-lashon Anglit tsahah `al yede Yehudah David Aizenstin. Mugah `al pi huke ha-dikduk `im makfim ve-mafsikim, matgim be-milot she-hen mal`il, ve-tsiyun `al sheva na`. " Blue cloth with period sphynx & pyramid illustration on cover. OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. Good Condition. (GH-3-10) (ID #21436) $75.00.
116A. • Freedman, Jacob. POLYCHROME HISTORICAL HAGGADAH FOR PASSOVER, HAGGADAH. Hardcover, 8vo, Springfield, MA, Jacob Freedman Liturgy Research Foundation, 1974. Cloth, 4to, xxvi, 134 pages. Illustrates the quilt like nature of the text by cooler coding Bible, Mishnah, Talmudic passages (etc.) based on when they were added to the Haggadah as we know it today. In his article for volume 77 of the American Jewish Year Book entitled "Jewish Scholarship in the United States: Selections from the Literature, 1973-1975," Meanhem Schmelzer highlighted Freedman's Polychrome Haggadah: "Seven colors indicate the seven periods, from biblical to modern, in which the various layers of the Haggadah came into being. Marginal comments on each passage give the source and comprehensive references to scholarly literature. Freedman's new translation and reproductions of many beautiful pages from medieval Haggadah manuscripts make this Haggadah particularly attractive." (1977, pp. 211-212). OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide. Very Good Condition in Good jacket. (art-2-15) (ID #16908) $325.00.
KIMHI & MEDIEVAL GRAMMAR
117. • Kimhi, David. `ET SOFER. Lik: Bi-defus R. Zibert, 1864. Half cloth, 8vo. 62 pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Masorah. SERIES: Sefarim ha-yotsim la-or be-fa`am rishonah `al yede Hevrat mekitse nirdamim; 1864; OCLC lists 24 copies worldwide. Kimhi (1160? -1235? ) , also known as Radak, was a rabbi and teacher born into a scholarly family in Narbonne. Et Sofer was written as “a manual for copyists of the Bible, necessitated by widespread ignorance among scribes and the proliferation of biblical manuscript traditions in the 12th century. In it he treats in detail such problems as the keri and the ketiv and the accents. His interest in masorah was not limited to this treatise, for numerous observations in this area are recorded in the commentaries. Especially noteworthy is his theory that the keri and the ketiv developed out of a confusion of readings in the time of the men of the Great Synagogue who, according to him, established the text ("Introduction to Joshua"). His concern for the establishment of the correct text is attested to by his travels in pursuit of old manuscripts. ”(EJ, Talmage) Provence. rebound in modern cloth, some stains to margins, wear to margins of first few leaves as well, good condition. (MX-11-13) (ID #20097) $150.00.
118. • Kimhi, David, Elijah Hoechheimer Levita, , Moses Ben Hayyim Cohen, Yitshak Ben Aharon Rittenberg.ספר מכלול SEFER MIKHLOL. Lik: Pettsall, Poland; Lyck., 1862. Hardcover, xii, 202 pages, 12mo, 19 cm. In Hebrew. Kimhi was “a grammarian and exegete of Narbonne, Provence. The son of Joseph Kimhi and brother and pupil of Moses Kimhi, David was a teacher in his native town and was active in public causes. He is known to have participated in the judgment (between 1205 and 1218) of several contentious persons from Barcelona who dishonored the memory of Rashi. During the Maimonidean controversy of 1232, he undertook a journey to Toledo to gain the support of Judah Ibn Alfakhar for the Maimonideans. He was prevented from reaching his destination because of illness but his strong defense of Maimonides and the latter's followers together with Ibn Alfakhar's critique of Kimhi have been preserved in the correspondence between them. ” (Talmage in EJ 2007). SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language -- Grammar. Other Titles: machlul; helek ha-dikduk. Wear on cover and binding. Ex-library with usual markings. Stained pages. Othwerwise, good condition. (k-rab-2-17) (ID #21616) $150.00.
119. • Kimh, David, William Chomsky. DAVID KIMHI'S HEBREW GRAMMAR (MIKHLOL) SYSTEMATICALLY PRESENTED AND CRITICALLY ANNOTATED. Dropsie College For Hebrew And Cognate Learning, Rose Adler Fund. Philadelphia, Dropsie College For Hebrew And Cognate Learning, 1933. Hardcover, 120 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. Chomsky (1896-1977) “was a U. S. Educator. Born in Russia, Chomsky went in 1913 to the United States, where he studied first in Baltimore while teaching Hebrew in a local Jewish school. From 1922 Chomsky served on the faculty of Gratz College, in Philadelphia, becoming its chairman in 1949. From 1954, he also lectured at Dropsie College on Hebrew language and literature and Jewish education. His writings include hundreds of essays in Hebrew and in English that appeared in scholarly journals and in the two U. S. Pedagogic magazines, Sheviley Hachinuch and Jewish Education. His articles stress the centrality of classical Hebrew language and literature in the curriculum of the Jewish school. Chomsky claims that without familiarity with Hebrew classics there can be neither vigorous creativity nor intelligence in Jewish life, for in the majority of important writings which the pupils will come to know, more than half of the vocabulary is biblical. ” (Pilch in EJ 2007). Dissertation: Thesis (Ph. D. ) --Dropsie College, 1926. Standard No: LCCN: 33-33918. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language -- Grammar. "Published with the aid of the Rose Adler Fund. " Wear on cover and binding. Ex-library with usual markings. Some yellow pages. Otherwise, good condition. (k-rab-2-18) (ID #21617) $75.00.
120. • Ibn Janah; Abu Al-Walid Marwan. ספר הרקמה SEFER HA-RIKMAH. Frankfurt A. M.: No Publisher., 1865. Cloth, 8vo. Xiv, 252 pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language – grammar. OCLC lists 23 copies worldwide. Ibn Janah was an early 11th century Spanish grammarian and lexicographer, possibly from Cordoba, Spain, about whom not much is certain. Though he earned his living through medicine, he studied and wrote about Jewish and Arabic language and literature. (EJ, 2007) Marbled edges. Owner's name on title page, slight water stain on some pages, corners bumped, good+ condition. (MX-20-7) (ID #21562) $100.00.
121. • Grade, Chaim. Translated from The Yiddish by Curt Leviant. THE YESHIVA. VOL. II: MASTERS AND DISCIPLES. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill, 1977. Cloth, 8vo. 399 pages. Inscribed by the author in year of publication. SUBJECT (S): Fiction. ISBN: 0672523442. Grade (1910-1982) , born in Vilna, was a Yiddish writer. He was first published in 1932, in Dos Vort, and his first book, Yo, was published four years later. As a member of the Yung Vilne group, Grade “ought both to synthesize secular Yiddish culture with new currents in world literature, and to bring the impoverished Jewish home into contact with the progressive forces of contemporary society. ” After WWII, which he spent in Russia, he became a kind of Jewish national poet, as he worked to confront the tragedy in his writing. (EJ, 2007) Has sunned dust jacket with small tear at top. Pictorial end papers. Very good condition. (RAB-30-4) (ID #21433) $75.00.
122. • Hecht, Ben. PERFIDY. New York, Messner, 1961. Cloth, 8vo, 281 pages. Hardcover, 8vo, 281 pages. Hecht took part in the 1st International Dada fair in Berlin in 1920 and became a spokesperson for the Irgun in the 1940's He was then blacklisted by the British for 5 years. PERFIDY is very critical of the Israeli government and was met by a firestorm of criticism when it came out in 1961. Hinge repair. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx2-8) (ID #21417) $30.00.
123. • Lewisohn, Ludwig. AN ALTER IN THE FIELDS. New York Harpers And Brothers, 1934. CLOTH, 8vo. 324 pages. In English. Lewisohn (1882–1955) was an American novelist and essayist. "Born into a middle class Berlin family, Lewisohn was taken to Charleston, South Carolina, in 1890. In his autobiography, Up Stream (1922) , he wrote of his student years at Columbia University, where he had specialized in English literature with a view to taking up college teaching, but was shocked to find anti-Jewish prejudice barring his way. He was professor of German at Ohio State University (1911–19) and won recognition as a literary scholar with his translation of Hauptmann, Rilke, and Sudermann and critical works such as The Modern Drama (1915) and The Spirit of Modern German Literature (1916). During World War I Lewisohn's pacifism and pro-German sympathies ended his academic career, which was only resumed 30 years later with his appointment as professor of comparative literature at Brandeis University in 1948. From 1919 to 1926 he was an associate editor of The Nation" (EJ, Liptzin). Signed by the author. Ex Library, in very good condition (MX19-15) (ID #21545) $30.00.
LITURGY AND RELATED
124. • Jacobson, B. S. YAMIM NORAIM: DAYS OF AWE: PROGRAM OF STUDY AND ANALYSIS OF SOURCES. Tel-Aviv: Sinai,, 1978. Cloth, 8vo. 144 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Judaism -- Liturgy. Worship in the Bible. Note(s): Translation of Yamim nora'im: Arbeitsplan und Stoffsammlung. / Hebrew title at head of t. P. In very good condition (MX19-18) (ID #21548) $50.00.
125. • Petuchowski, Jakob Josef. UNDERSTANDING JEWISH PRAYER. New York, Ktav Pub. House,, 1972. Cloth, 8vo. Xiv, 175 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Prayer -- Judaism. Prière -- Judaïsme. Jodendom. Gebeden. Contents: Dynamics and doctrine: Petuchowski, J. J. Spontaneity and tradition. Offering and obligation. Cult, entertainment, and worship. Petition and praise. Hebrew and vernacular prayer. Can modern man pray? --Meanings and directions: An anthology: Heschel, A. J. On prayer. Schwarschild, S. S. Speech and silence before God. Simon, E. On the meaning of prayer. Blidstein, G. J. The limits of prayer: a rabbinic discussion. Weinberg, D. The efficacy of prayer. Berkovits, E. From temple to synagogue and back. Himmelfarb, M. Going to shul. PETUCHOWSKI, JAKOB JOSEF (1925–1991) , U. S. Rabbinic scholar and theologian. Petuchowski was born in Berlin and brought to England from Germany in a "children's transport" before the outbreak of World War II. Living in London from 1939 to 1947, he studied with Isaac Markon and Leo Baeck and earned a B. A. From the University of London while holding a variety of jobs in the Jewish community, including education director of the Youth Association of Synagogues in Great Britain, social worker in the Windermere DP camp, chaplain to the DP Tuberculosis Sanatorium, and Hebrew and religion teacher at the West London Synagogue. In 1948, Petuchowski immigrated to the United States, where he received his B. H. L. (1949) , M. H. L. And ordination (1952) , and Ph. D. (1958) from Hebrew Union College. He served as rabbi of Temple Emanuel in Welch, West Virginia, and Beth Israel Synagogue in Washington, Pennsylvania, before returning in 1956 to HUC to join the faculty as a lecturer in Jewish theology. In 1974, he was appointed professor of theology and liturgy, and in 1981 he became the Sol and Arlene Bronstein Professor of Judeo-Christian studies. He was the first director of Jewish studies at HUC-JIR in Jerusalem (1963–64) and a visiting professor of Jewish philosophy at Harvard University Divinity School, Oxford University, Antioch College, Theologische Fakultat Luzern (Switzerland) , and Tel Aviv University. (EJ, Gordon) In very good condition. (MX19-20) (ID #21550) $30.00.
126. • Zalmanoff, Samuel. SEFER HANIGUNIM BOOK OF CHASIDIC SONGS. Nichoah, 1957. Cloth, 8vo. In English. In very good condition. (MX19-23) (ID #21553) $80.00.
RABBINICS AND MEDIEVAL
127. • SEFER TOLDOT ALEKSANDROS HA-MAKDONI. THE BOOK OF THE GESTS OF ALEXANDER OF MACEDON, A MEDIAEVAL HEBREW VERSION OF THE ALEXANDER ROMANCE. Cambridge, MA, Medieval Academy of America, 1962. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo; 109, 227, x pages; Mediaeval Academy of America; Publication no. 75. Bibliography on pages 223-227. In Hebrew & English "Based chiefly on the Historia de preliis, by Leo, archpresbyter. " Note inscribed from the author to Yosef Goldstein-Eizenthal. Wear on binding and corners of cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx2-4) (ID #21415) $60.00.
128. • Plaut, W. Guenther. THE SABBATH AS PROTEST: THOUGHTS ON WORK AND LEISURE IN THE AUTOMATED SOCIETY. Syracuse, N. Y.: Syracuse University., 1970. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 24 pages. SUBJECT (S): Sabbath; Leisure – religious aspects – Judaism. SERIES: The B. G. Rudolph lectures in Judaic studies. An American Reform rabbi, Plaut (b. 1912) was born in Germany and took a law degree at the University of Berlin. In 1935, he fled the Nazis to the US, and there was ordained at Hebrew Union College. He served as a chaplain in the army during WWII, and led congregations in Chicago, St. Paul, and Toronto, leading the Holy Blossom Temple in Toronto several decades. (EJ, 2007) Very good condition. (MX-20-15) (ID #21569) $40.00.
129. • Kaufmann, David; M. Brann. GESAMMELTE SCHRIFTEN VON DAVID KAUFMANN, ZWEITER BAND ONLY, OF 3. Frankfurt: J. Kaufmann, 1908-1915. Half Leather. 8vo. 434 pages. In German. Volume 2 of 3. Kaufmann was an Austrian scholar born in Moravia. He taught Jewish history, religious philsophy and homiletics at the rabbinical seminary in Budapest for his entire life. In his lifetime he wrote thirty books and over 500 essays and book reviews. He was a pioneer in the field of Jewish art and co-founded the Gesellschaft für Sammlung und Konservierung von Kunst und historischen Denmälern des Judentums in Wien. Kaufmann and Brann worked together a great deal and Brann published many of Kaufmann's writings (Zobel, EJ). SUBJECT(S): Jews-History-Philosophy-Jewish Scholars-Jewish Scholars-Biography. Ex-library with minimal markings. Cover of spine is missing. Slight discolorations on end papers. Otherwise in good condition-text in beautiful condition (GERN-5-25). (ID #17272) $50.00.
130. • Grayzel, Solomon. THE CHURCH AND THE JEWS IN THE XIIITH CENTURY: A STUDY OF THEIR RELATIONS DURING THE YEARS 1198-1254, BASED ON THE PAPAL LETTERS AND THE CONCILIAR DECREES OF THE PERIOD. Philadelphia: Dropsie College, 1933. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo; 377 pages; Includes 6-page bibliography & 13-page index. Includes a fair amount on England, also on elsewhere in Europe. Chippings and wear to binding. Missing front and back cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (Comhist1-9) (ID #21443) $50.00.
131. • Bloch, Philipp. DIE KABBALAH AUF IHREM HOHEPUNKT UND IHRE MEISTER. Pressburg, Adolf Alkalay & Sohn, 1905. Paper Wrappers, 8vo, 46 pages. Schriften der "Gesellschaft zur Foerderung der Wissenschaft des Judentums. " Missing the cover and first few pages. Wear to binding and back cover. Brown, stained pages. (mx-31-10) (ID #21422) $50.00.
132. • A Feldman. THE PARABLES AND THE SIMILES OF THE RABBIS. Cambridge [Eng. ] The University Press,, 1924. Cloth, 8vo. Ix p, 1 l, 290 p, 1 l. 23 cm. In English. SUBJECT (S): Midrash. Parables. Rabbijnse literatuur. Metaforen. Midrash. Paraboles. FELDMAN, ABRAHAM JEHIEL (1893–1977) , U. S. Reform rabbi and a Zionist leader. Feldman was born in Kiev, Ukraine, immigrating to New York in 1906 and settling in the lower East Side. He went to college at the University of Cincinatti where he received his B. A. (1917) and he was ordained at Hebrew Union College (1918). He then served in pulpits at the Free Synagogue in Flushing, the Congregation Children of Israel in Athens, Georgia, and Keneseth Israel in Philadelphia, where the illness of the senior rabbi forced him to assume responsibilities ordinarily not given to a younger rabbi. In 1925, he moved to Beth Israel of Hartford, Conn, where he served as rabbi until his retirement in 1968, setting a tradition of longevity that was to mark the religious leadership of Connecticut's capital. In the New Deal, he served as education director for the National Recovery Administration in Connecticut and later was State Chairman of the National Recovery Administration Adjustment Board. He was a founder with Samuel Neusner of the Connecticut Jewish Ledger and served as editor until 1977. He was a master orator, who felt that the sermon may not only inform the mind but shape the heart. He perceived himself as the Jewish ambassador to the non-Jewish world and taught a course at the Hartford Theological Seminary. A distinguished leader in state and communal affairs, he has also been prominent in rabbinical circles and was president of the Central Conference of American Rabbis during 1947–49, President of the interdenominational Synagogue Council of America (1955–57). A prolific author and journalist, activist rabbi and communal Rabbi Feldman wrote 26 books and many scholarly articles as well as literally thousands of journalistic pieces. Among his books are Why I am a Zionist (1945) and American Reform Rabbi (1965) , as well as many articles. (EJ, Goodman) In very good condition. (MX19-4) (ID #21534) $45.00.
133. • Baruk, Henri. TSEDEK: WHERE MODERN SCIENCE IS EXAMINED AND WHERE IT IS ATTEMPTED TO SAVE MAN FROM PHYSICAL AND SPIRITUAL ENSLAVEMENT. Binghamton, N. Y, Swan House Pub. Co., 1972. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. xx, 291 pages. illus. In English. SUBJECT(S): Descriptor: Jewish ethics. Note(s): Translation of the author's Civilisation hébraïque et science de l'homme, with 3 chapters of his Tsedek, droit hëbraïque et science de la paix. "Professor Henri Baruk's titles" on pages 289-291. Ex library in very good condition (MX19-22) (ID #21552) $40.00.
134. • Chodos, Rafael. THE JEWISH ATTITUDE TOWARDS JUSTICE AND LAW. Los Angeles: R. Chodos ; Leiden, The Netherlands: Distributed By E. J. Brill Booksellers,, 1984. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 101 pages.  leaf of plates: col. Ill. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jewish law -- Philosophy. Comparative law. Law -- Egypt. Egyptian literature -- Relation to the Old Testament. In very good condition (MX19-9) (ID #21539) $30.00.
135. • Finkelstein, Louis. THE BELIEFS AND PRACTICES OF JUDAISM. New York: Devin-Adair, 1941. Paperback, 92 pages, 12mo, 21 cm. Finkelstein (1895-1991) “was born in
136. • Guttmann, Alexander. STUDIES IN RABBINIC JUDAISM. 1976. Cloth, 8vo. 92 pages. In English. GUTTMANN, ALEXANDER (1904–1994) , talmudic scholar, son of Michael Guttmann. Guttmann was born in Budapest. He received both his rabbinical diploma and his doctorate in Breslau. Guttmann taught Talmud and was the rabbi authorized to grant ordination at the Hochschule fuer die Wissenschaft des Judentums in Berlin (1935–40). From 1940 he taught Talmud at the Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati, Ohio, Guttmann published several works and numerous scholarly articles, including Das redaktionelle und sachliche Verhaeltnis zwischen Mischna und Tosephta (1928) and Rabbinic Judaism in the Making (1970). (EJ, Miahly) In very good condition. (MX19-19) (ID #21549) $40.00.
137. • Karlin, Aryeh. תורת אבן העזר : לשלחן ערוך אבן העזר הלכות כתובות TORAT EVEN HA-EZER: LE-SHULHAN ARUKH EVEN HA-EZER HILKHOT KETUBOT. Yerushalayim: Mosad Ha-Rav Kuk, 1950. Hardcover, 25, 237 pages, 8vo, 24 cm. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Ketubah. Named Person: Karo, Joseph ben Ephraim. Even ha-ezer -- Commentaries. Includes bibliographical references. Wear and stain on the cover. Stained pages. Page 231 slight chippings, otherwise, very good condition. (k-rab-2-1) (ID #21600) $30.00.
138. • Katz, Antschel. ספר נחל הברית על הלכות מילה: ... דיני הילדים שלא נימולו כהוגן ... ועליו באור אבי בנחל ... וזכרון צבי SEFER NAHAL HA-BERIT `AL HILKHOT MILAH:... DINE HA-YELADIM SHE-LO NIMOLU KA-HOGEN... VE-`ALAV BEUR AVI HA-NAHAL... VE-ZIKHRON TSEVI... Brooklyn: No Publisher, 1973. Hardcover, 4to. SUBJECT(S): Responsa. OCLC lists 9 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (MX-20-8) (ID #21563) $35.00.
139. • Kohn, Roger. LES JUIFS DE LA FRANCE DU NORD DANS LA SECONDE MOITIÉ DU XIVE SIÈCLE. Louvain-Paris: E. Peeters, 1988. Cloth, 8vo. Xli, 358 pages. Gilt titles. First edition. In French. Series: Collection de la Revue des études juives 5. Documents in Old French. Illustrated with 31 tables and 4 illustrations. Includes index. Includes bibliographical references (pages [xiii]-xli). Roger Kohn is an archivist and librarian. And very nice guy. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- France, Northern -- History. Juifs -- France -- histoire -- 14e siècle. Juifs -- France (Nord) -- Histoire. Juifs -- France -- Politique et gouvernement. Joden. Sociale geschiedenis. France, Northern -- Ethnic relations. France -- relations interethniques. France (Nord) -- Histoire. France -- Histoire -- 14e siècle. Wear to binding, otherwise very good condition. (mx-32-1) (ID #21424) $40.00.
140. • Marcus, Ralph. LAW IN THE APOCRYPHA. New York, Columbia University Press,, 1927. Hardcover, 116 pages, 8vo, 26 cm. Marcus (1900-1956) was “born in San Francisco the son of the talmudic scholar Moses Marcus, Marcus was educated at Columbia, where he wrote his doctoral dissertation on Law in the Apocrypha (1927) , and at Harvard where he studied with Harry A. Wolfson (1925–27). He taught at the Jewish Institute of Religion, at Columbia (1927–43) , and at the University of Chicago (1947–56). ” (Feldman in EJ, 2007). Series: Columbia University oriental studies, ; v. 26; Standard No: LCCN: 29-9822. SUBJECT(S): Jewish law. Judaism -- Customs and practices. Title Subject: Bible. O. T. Apocrypha -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. Thesis (Ph. D. ) --Columbia University, 1928. "Printed in Austria. "…. "It was originally planned to include all matters of religious and civil law... But... It was found necessary to confine the treatment of halakic matters to the more important ceremonial observances. "--Pref. "Bibliographical note" on pages [xiii]-xiv. "Abbreviations" on pages [xv]-xvi. Wear on cover, edges and binding. Hinge repair on back cover. Otherwise, Very Good condition. (k-rab-2-7) (ID #21606) $30.00.
141. • Nahmanides, Adolph Jellinek.
ה׳ תמימה :
דרשה TORAT H. TEMIMAH: DERASHAH. Leipzig: Heinrich
Cloth, 40 pages, 12mo, 20 cm. In Hebrew. Jellinik (1820/1-1893) “was born in a village near Uhersky Brod (Ungarisch Brod) , Moravia, into a family which he believed to be of Hussite origin. After attending the yeshivah of Menahem Katz (Wannfried) in Prostejov (Prossnitz) , in 1838 he moved to Prague where he was influenced by Solomon Judah Rapoport, Michael Jehiel Sachs, and Wolfgang Wessely. Moving to Leipzig in 1842, he studied philosophy and Semitics at the university there, assisted Julius Fuerst in editing the Orient, and in 1845 was appointed preacher in the new synagogue which was established under the guidance of Zacharias Frankel. Although he opposed the radical views of his brother, Herman Jellinek, he enthusiastically hailed the freedom resulting from the 1848 revolution. Together with Christian clergymen he then founded the Kirchlicher Verein fuer alle Religionsbekenntnisse, an association open to all religious denominations, and would have represented it at the Frankfurt German National Assembly (1848) but for the intervention of the Saxonian minister of religious affairs. He was also on the board of an association (Verein zur Wahrung der deutschen Interessen an den oestlichen Grenzen) formed to support Germans in the Slav countries. In 1857 he was appointed preacher at the new Leopoldstadt synagogue in Vienna, remaining there until he went to the Seitenstetten synagogue in 1865. In 1862 Jellinek founded the Beit ha-Midrash Academy where public lectures were delivered by himself, Isaac Hirsch Weiss, and Meir Friedmann. A scholarly periodical, also called Beit ha-Midrash, was published under its auspices. ”( Scholem, Gershom, and Meir Lamed in EJ, 2007). SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Apologetic works -- Early works to 1800. "Mokhiah Be-zeh ha-derush maalat ha-Torah ve-Yisrael le-ene ha-amim. " Includes bibliographical references. Wear on cover and binding. Stained pages. Hinge repair. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-rab-2-11) (ID #21610) $65.00.
142. • Nathan Ben Jehiel, of Rome; Alexander Kohut; Samuel Krauss; Benjamin Mussafia. ספר ערוך השלם SEFER `ARUKH HA-SHALEM: HALO HU SEFER HE-`ARUKH ASHER BO NIKVETSU KOL HA-MILOT HA-HAMUROT BA-TALMUD U-MIDRASHIM. [Israel]: No Publisher, 1969. Cloth, 8vo. 438 pages. In Hebrew. English title: Dictionary of Talmudic Hebrew language. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language, Talmudic – dictionaries – Hebrew. Nathan ben Jehiel was an 11th century Italian lexicographer. He wrote his famous Arukh while leading the yeshiva in Rome; it is “a lexicon of the Talmud and the Midrashim, containing all the talmudic terms in need of explanation, ” not only explaining the words, but giving their etymologies. (EJ, 2007) Corner bumped, Library stamp on end paper, good condition. (MX-20-17) (ID #21571) $100.00.
143. • Novak, David. LAW AND THEOLOGY IN JUDAISM. New York, Ktav Pub. House, 1974. Cloth, 8vo. 176 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Descriptor: Responsa -- 1800- Judaism -- Doctrines. Jewish ethics. Responsa -- 1800- Jodendom. Ethiek. Gebruiken. NOVAK, ROBERT (1931– ) , U. S. Journalist. Born in Joliet, Illinois, Novak graduated from the University of IllinoisPage 317 | Top of Article in 1952 with a bachelor of arts degree. His journalism career began when he wrote for local newspapers while in college. During the Korean War, Novak served in the Army, attaining the rank of lieutenant. After the war, he joined the Associated Press and became a political correspondent in Indianapolis. In 1957 Novak was transferred to Washington, where he reported on Congress. He left the AP to join the capital bureau of The Wall Street Journal, covering the Senate, and in 1961 he became the newspaper's chief congressional correspondent. In 1966 Novak teamed up with Rowland Evans to create the Evans-Novak Political Report, a nationally syndicated column. After Evans's death in 2001, Novak continued the column on his own. By that time, Novak had also become a television personality, appearing on many interview and opinion programs on CNN, most notably The Capital Gang, Crossfire and Evans, Novak, Hunt and Shields. While he held centrist views early in his career (he supported the Democratic presidential candidacies of John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson) , he moved to the right and his feisty personality earned him the nickname the Prince of Darkness. (EJ< Kampel) In very good condition (MX19-16) (ID #21546) $30.00.
144. • Parkes, James William. THE JEW IN THE MEDIEVAL COMMUNITY; A STUDY OF HIS POLITICAL AND ECONOMIC SITUATION. New York: Hermon Press, 1976. Paperback, 8vo. 440 pages. Second edition. SUBJECT (S): Jews - history - A. D. 70-; Jews - politics and government; Jews - social conditions; Jewish question; Middle Ages - history. SERIES: His A history of antisemitism. II; Variation: Parkes, James William, ; 1896-; History of antisemitism. II. "A member of the Church of England, Parkes was ordained in 1926 and from 1928 to 1934 was study secretary of the International Student Service in Geneva. Actively aware of the anti-Semitism prevalent in the Central and Eastern European universities, he wrote his earliest book, The Jew and His Neighbour (1930, 1938). He then embarked on what was planned as a comprehensive history of anti-Semitism, the chief responsibility for which he saw in the policy of the Christian Church (The Conflict of the Church and the Synagogue, 1934; The Jew in the Medieval Community, 1938). He wrote a long series of other works on anti-Semitism, the origins of Christianity, the history of Palestine, etc, in all of which he demonstrated a strong sympathy with the Jewish people and appreciation of Judaism as a religious system. Parkes collaborated with many Jewish organizations and was president of the Jewish Historical Society of England (1949-51). His important private library on Jewish history and Jewish-Gentile relations, which he collected at his home in Barley (near Cambridge) and was incorporated in 1956 as a center for the study of relations between the Jewish and non-Jewish worlds, was given by Parkes to the University of Southampton, where the University established a research fellowship for the study of the relations of Jewish and non-Jewish communities. "(Roth, EJ) Hinge repair. Wear to binding. Yellowing of pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (ComHist-9-3) (ID #21450) $35.00.
145. • (Rashi) Blumenfield, Samuel M. MASTER OF TROYES; A STUDY OF RASHI, THE EDUCATOR. New York: Published for the Jewish Institute of Religion [By] Behrman House, 1946. Cloth, 8vo. Xii, 208 pages. SUBJECT (S): Jews – education – history; Rashi, 1040-1105. CONTENTS: Part I. Education in France in the time of Rashi; Part II. Jewish education in the days of Rashi; Part III. Rashi and his contribution to education. “Born in Letichev, Russia, Blumenfield [1901-1972] was superintendent of the Chicago Board of Jewish Education until 1954, and also headed Chicago's College of Jewish Studies as dean, and later as president. From 1954 until his retirement in 1968, he served as director of the Department of Education and Culture of the Jewish Agency (American Section). ”(Spotts, EJ). Yellowing of pages. Wear to binding. Otherwise, good condition. (k-rab-3-14) (ID #21448) $50.00.
146. • Roth, John K. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?: WRESTLING WITH THE SIXTH COMMANDMENT. Boca Raton, Fla.: Florida Atlantic University., 2006. Paper wrappers, 8vo. Xii, 28 pages. SUBJECT (S): Ten commandments – murder. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. SERIES: May Smith lecture on post-Holocaust Christian/Jewish dialogue ; ; . Very good condition. (MX-20-28) (ID #21582) $30.00.
147. • (Saadya Gaon) Rosenblatt, Samuel. SAADIA GAON: THE BOOK OF BELIEFS AND OPINIONS. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1948. Cloth, 8vo. Xxxii, 496 pages. SERIES: Yale Judaica series, vol. 1; Rosenblatt (1902–) , son of the famous Hazzan Josef (Yossele) Rosenblatt, was “born in Bratislava and was taken to the United States in 1912. He received a rabbincal degree from the Jewish Theological Seminary (1925) ; studied in Jerusalem on a fellowship from the American Schools of Oriental Research; and received a Ph. D. From Columbia (1927). From 1927 Rabbi Rosenblatt served Congregation Beth Tefiloh in Baltimore, Maryland. He headed the Baltimore Board of Rabbis (1952–) ; Mizrachi (1938–42) ; and the American Jewish Congress (1942–47). Associated with Johns Hopkins University from 1930, Rosenblatt taught Jewish literature until 1947, and thereafter oriental languages”(EJ). Ex-library with usual markings. Wear to binding. Hinge repair. Good condition. (k-rab-3-3) (ID #21456) $35.00.
148. • Weiss, Isaac Hirsch. Rapoport, Solomon Judah Leib Epstein, A, S. J. Halberstam. DIVRE BIKORET: LI-KHVOD R. SH. L. RAPOPORT VE-NEGED R. A. H. VEIS. Kraka:bi-Defuso Shel Y. Fischer, Poland; Kraków, 1896. Hardcover, 28 pages, 12mo, 22 cm. In Hebrew. Epstein (1841-1918) “was born in Staro-Konstantinov, Russia, to a wealthy family. Epstein leased some land near Kozmin in 1865 and worked it himself for many years, trying to persuade some of the local Jewish poor to do the same. During that period he developed an interest in natural sciences and built a laboratory, where he carried out various experiments. After his father's death Epstein left his farm and took over the family business. In 1861 he traveled to Western Europe, where he met some of the leading figures in Jewish scholarship (S. J. L. Rapoport, Z. Frankel, and M. Sachs) who greatly stimulated his interest in Jewish studies. Gradually, he liquidated his shares in the family business and devoted himself to research. In 1876 he settled in Vienna, where he pursued his studies and contributed articles to learned Hebrew periodicals. ” (Avneri in EJ, 2007). SUBJECT(S): Named Person: Weiss, Isaac Hirsch. Rapoport, Solomon Judah Leib. Title Subject: Talmud -- Criticism, Textual. Wear on cover and binding. Stained Pages. Hinge Repair. Otherwise Very Good condition. (k-rab-2-4) (ID #21603) $75.00.
149. • Hershman, Abraham M. ; Maimonides, Moses. THE CODE OF MAIMONIDES. BOOK FOURTEEN: THE BOOK OF JUDGES. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1949. Cloth, 8vo. Xxv, 335 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jewish law; Courts, Jewish; Judges (Jewish law). SERIES: Yale Judaica series; v. 3. "Hershman was born in Neustadt, Poland, immigrating to the U. S. In 1896. Ordained at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America (1906) , he served in Syracuse, New York, then went to Detroit's Congregation Shaarey Zedek (1907) , which he led until 1946, when he became rabbi emeritus. Founder and president of the Detroit Zionist Organization, Hershman was also principal of the Division Street Talmud Torah, Detroit's first Jewish communal school; delegate to the first American Jewish Congress; and a founder of the Jewish Community Council. " (Katz, EJ) Ex library with usual markings. Very good condition. (k-rab-3-6) (ID #21453) $30.00.
150. • Klein, Isaac; Moses Maimonides. THE CODE OF MAIMONIDES, BOOK TWELVE: THE BOOK OF ACQUISITION. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1951. Cloth, 8vo. Xv, 335 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jewish law; Property (Jewish law). OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. CONTENTS: Sales; Original acquisition and gifts; Neighbors; Agents and partners; Slaves. SERIES: The code of Maimonides; bk. 12; Yale Judaica series; v. 5; Variation: Maimonides, Moses, ; 1135-1204.; Mishneh Torah. ; English; bk. 12. "Klein, born in Ruthenia, was taken to the United States in 1921. He was ordained by the Jewish Theological Seminary (1934). During World War II Rabbi Klein was an American Army chaplain overseas, earning six battle stars, and helped to reestablish many devastated European Jewish communities. He was rabbi in Springfield, Massachusetts (1934-53) , and from then in Buffalo, New York. He wrote Ten Commandments in a Changing World (1944) and an English translation and commentary on The Code of Maimonides, Book Twelve: Book of Acquisition (1951). Rabbi Klein served as president of the Rabbinical Assembly, and wrote many of its important responsa, including problems of abortion according to Jewish law, autopsy according to Jewish law, questions of medical ethics, halizah, and the marriage of kohen and convert. " (Reimer, EJ) Ex library with usual markings. Cover binding faded. Very good condition. (RAB-25-4) (ID #21455) $35.00.
151. • (Maimonides) Rabinowitz, Jacob J; Maimonides, Moses. THE CODE OF MAIMONIDES. BOOK THIRTEEN: THE BOOK OF CIVIL LAWS. New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press, 1949. Cloth, 8vo. Xxiv, 345 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jewish law. SERIES: Yale Judaica series; v. 2; “Born in Volkovysk, Poland, Rabinowitz, after teaching for several years in Vitebsk, left in 1900 for Switzerland, where he started to write. Upon his return to Russia in 1904, he became active in Zionist affairs and began his long career as journalist and author. From 1907 until his departure for Erez Israel in 1910, he was active in the Odessa Committee, becoming M. M. Ussishkin's principal aide. In Erez Israel he first settled in Petah Tikvah, but moved to Tel Aviv in 1923. Together with A. Barash he founded the literary journal Hedim (1922) , which became a forum for both the old and young generations of writers and an outstanding expression of the literary milieu in Erez Israel from the time of the Third Aliyah. His own contributions consisted of monographs on various authors. In addition, he wrote a regular column for Davar, contributed to many literary periodicals, and published translations” such as this one. (Kressel, EJ) Ex library with usual markings. Faded binding cover. Otherwise, very good condition. (RAB-14-17) (ID #21454) $30.00.
152. • Moses Maimonides; Gotthold Weil. ÜBER DIE LEBENSDAUER. Basel, Karger, 1953. Staples , 8vo. 59 pages. In very good condition. (MX17-11) (ID #21491) $35.00.
153. • Joël, Manuel. BLICKE IN DIE RELIGIONSGESCHICHTE ZU ANFANG DES ZWEITEN CHRISTLICHEN JAHRHUNDERTS. I. DER TALMUD UND DIE GRIECHLISCHE SPRACHE NEBST ZWEI EXCURSEN A. ARISTOBUL, DER SOGENANNTE PERIPATETIKER. B. DIE GNOSIS. Breslau: S. Schottlaender, 1880. 12mo. 190 pages. In German. First edition. Volume I of a 2-volume set. Bibliographical citations. Joël was a German rabbi and scholar who "defended moderation in Reform against Geiger's radicalism, and stressed the need for preserving the Jewish character of synagogue worship and respect for the historical past...His two-volume Blicke in die Religionsgeschichte...was an important and influential contribution to comparative religion. " (EJ) SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Relations -- Hellenism. Talmud. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide (Yeshiva U, Emory, Denver, King's College London). Wear to cover and binding. Some fragile pages, hinge repair. Top corner section of cover binding torn. Otherwise, good condition. (k-rab-3-27) (ID #21386) $30.00.
154. • Hoenig, Sidney B. THE GREAT SANHEDRIN; A STUDY OF THE ORIGIN, DEVELOPMENT, COMPOSITION, AND FUNCTIONS OF THE BET DIN HA-GADOL DURING THE SECOND JEWISH COMMONWEALTH. Philadelphia, Dropsie College For Hebrew And Cognate Learning; Selling Agents: Bloch Pub. Co, New York,, 1953. Hardcover, xviii, 310 pages, 8vo, 24 cm. SUBJECT (S): Sanhedrin. Named Corp: Grand Sanhedrin. A revision and expansion of the author's thesis, Dropsie College. Bibliography: p. 217-223. Ex-library with usual markings. Yellowing of pages. Hinge repair. Cover binding is faded of regular color. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-32) (ID #21479) $30.00.
155. • Klausner, Joseph, Danby, Herbert. JESUS OF NAZARETH: HIS LIFE, TIMES, AND TEACHING. New York: Menorah Pub. Co, 1979. Paperback, 8vo. X, 434 pages. SUBJECT (S): Jesus Christ. Hinge repair. Notes in front cover. Yellowing of pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (GER-20-22) (ID #21442) $30.00.
156. • Thackeray, H. St. John; Samuel Sandmel; George Moore Foot. JOSEPHUS: THE MAN AND THE HISTORIAN. New York: Ktav, 1967. Cloth, 8vo. Xxi, 160 pages. SUBJECT (S): Josephus, Flavius. SERIES: The Hilda Stich Stroock lectures at the Jewish Institute of Religion, ; 1928; Variation: Jewish Institute of Religion (New York, N. Y. ); Hilda Stich Stroock lectures, 1928. Ex library. Very good condition. (MX-20-16) (ID #21570) $30.00.
157. • Baer, Yitzhak. A HISTORY OF THE JEWS IN CHRISTIAN SPAIN. 2 VOLUMES. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society Of America,, 1961. Hardcover, 2 v. Maps (on lining papers) 22 cm. Contents: volume 1. From the age of reconquest to the fourteenth century. --volume 2. From the fourteenth century to the expulsion. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- Spain -- History. Note(s): "May by regarded as a translation of the second [Hebrew] edition. Here and there... The text has been slightly abridged... Elsewhere... Principally in the notes, the translation contains material not found in either of the Hebrew editions. " Includes bibliographical references. Wear and tear to jackets. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-23) (ID #21470) $45.00.
158. • Stillman, Norman A,. THE JEWS OF ARAB LANDS: A HISTORY AND SOURCE BOOK. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society Of America,, 1979. Hardcover, xxx, 473 pages, 12 leaves of plates: illustrated, 8vo, 25 cm. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Arab countries -- History -- Sources. Juifs -- Etats arabes -- Histoire -- Sources. Joden. Geographic: Arab countries -- History -- Sources. Etats arabes -- Histoire -- Sources. Note(s): Includes index. Bibliography: p. 431-451. Slight chippings on top section and corners of cover jacket. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-21) (ID #21468) $30.00.
159. • Gaspar Y Remiro, Mariano, Adolfo Bonilla San Martin. LOS CRONISTAS HISPANO-JUDIOS: DISCURSO LEIDO ANTE LA REAL ACADEMIA DE LA HISTORIA. Granada: El Defensor De Granada,, 1920. Hardcover, 79 pages, 8vo. In Spanish. “Discurso leído ante la Real Academia de la Historia. ” Wear on cover and binding. Ex-library with minimal marks. Brown, fragile pages, minor chippings on edge of 2 leaves. Otherwise good condition. Not suitable for library use. (k-rab-2-8) (ID #21607) $40.00.
160. • Gursan-Salzmann, Ayse and Laurence Salzmann. ANYOS MUNCHOS I BUENOS -GOOD YEARS AND MANY MORE: TURKEY'S SEPHARDIM, 1492-1992. Philadelphia: Blue Flower/Photo Review Book, 1991. Softcover, xv, 64 pages, illustrated (some color) , 4to, 31 cm. SUBJECT(S): Sephardim -- Turkey -- Exhibitions. Jews -- Turkey -- Exhibitions. Geographic: Turkey -- Ethnic relations -- Exhibitions. Other Titles: Good years and many more. Slight tear to top of cover binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-mx-1-24) (ID #21471) $30.00.
161. • Isaacs, Lionel A. THE JEWS OF MAJORCA [MALLORCA]. 1936. ISBN: 0903162091. London: Methuen & Co. Ltd. Original Publisher’s Cloth, 8vo, 283 pages. Includes Index and six plates. Considered the first consecutive history of the Jews of Majorca and the most complete account of the Inquisition on that island at the time of publication. Very Good Condition (sef-6-14) (ID #21461) $75.00.
162. • Kayser, Rudolf. THE LIFE AND TIME OF JEHUDAH HALEVI. New York, Philosophical Library, 1949. Cloth , 8vo. 176 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Arabs -- Spain. Jews -- History. Judah, ha-Levi, 12th cent. Kayser, (1889–1964) , was a German author and a literary journalist. After studying in Berlin, Munich, and Wuerzburg, Kayser was for several years a teacher in Berlin. In 1919 he joined the editorial staff of the S. Fischer publishing house and became editor in chief of the literary periodical Die Neue Rundschau in 1924. Kayser was dismissed from these posts by the Nazis in 1933, settled in the U. S. Two years later, and held the chair of German and European literatures at Brandeis University from 1951 to 1957. His Jewish interests found expression in the essays and reviews that he contributed to Jewish periodicals, which included the Neue Juedische Monatshefte, Der Jude, and Historia Judaica, and in books such as Moses Tod (1921) , Spinoza, Bildnis eines geistigen Helden (1932) , and The Life and Time of Jehuda Halevi (1949). His biographical studies also include Stendhal, oder das Leben eines Egotisten (1928) , and Kant (1935) (EJ, Liptzin). In very good condition. (MX17-15) (ID #21495) $30.00.
163. • (Mallorca) Moore, Kenneth. THOSE OF THE STREET: THE CATHOLIC-JEWS OF MALLORCA: A STUDY IN URBAN CULTURAL CHANGE. Notre Dame, Ind.: University Of Notre Dame Press, 1976. Cloth , 8vo. 218 pages, plates of illustrations, maps on endpapers. In English. SUBJECT (S): Chuetas. Joden-christenen. Sociale geschiedenis. Marranen. Majorca (Spain) -- Social conditions. In very good condition. (MX17-14) (ID #21494) $30.00.
164. • (Morocco). HA-SHIRAH HA- IVRIT BE-MAROKO. Yerushalayim: Makhon Ben-Tsevi Le-Heker Kehilot Yisrael Ba-Mizrah: Yad Yitshak Ben-Tsevi: Ha-Universitah Ha-`ivrit Bi-Yerushalayim, 1984. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 210 pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew poetry -- Islamic countries -- History and criticism. Jewish religious poetry, Hebrew -- History and criticism. OCLC lists twenty-five copies worldwide. In very good condition. (MX17-13) (ID #21493) $50.00.
165. • Neuman, Abraham A. THE JEWS IN SPAIN; THEIR SOCIAL, POLITICAL AND CULTURAL LIFE DURING THE MIDDLE AGES. COMPLETE IN 2 VOLUMES. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society of America, 1942. Cloth, 8vo, 286, 399 pages, 4 plates, maps, facsimiles, 23 cm. Mapped end papers, black and white photos. Series The Morris Loeb series. Bibliography on pages 351-370. Contents I. A political-economic study. --II. A social-cultural study. Subjects: Jews -- Spain. Some wear to binding. Otherwise, very good condition. (mx-31-9) (ID #21421) $40.00.
166. • Roth, Cecil. A HISTORY OF THE MARRANOS. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society Of America,, 1932. Cloth, xii, 422 pages, illustrated, 8vo, 21 cm. SUBJECT (S): Marranos -- History. Inquisition – Spain. "Bibliography of some of the more important works used" on pages 401-407. Wear on corners of cover and binding. Hinge repair. Otherwise, good condition. (k-mx-1-20) (ID #21467) $30.00.
167. • Roth, Cecil. A HISTORY OF THE MARRANOS. Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society of America, 1932. Cloth, 8vo, xii, 422 pages, illustrations, 21 cm. Contents include: Foreword, Introductory: The Antecedents of Crypto-Judaism, I. The Beginnings of Marranism, II. The Establishment of the Inquisition, III. The General Conversion in Portugal, IV. The Heyday of the Inquisition, V. The Inquisitional Procedure and the Auto-da-fe, VI. Saints, Heroes, and Martyrs, VII. The Religion of the Marranos, VIII. The Marrano Diaspora, IX. The Dutch Jerusalem, X. Resettlement in the New World, XII. Some Marrano Worthies, XIII. The Literature of the Marranos, XIV. The Decline of the Inquisition, Epilogue: The Marranos of Today, Notes, Bibliography, Index. "Bibliography of some of the more important works used" on pages 401-407. SUBJECT (S): Marranos--History. Inquisition--Spain. Black and white illustrations. Wear to binding. Tears to cover binding. Otherwise, good condition. (SEF-9-6) (ID #21449) $30.00.
168. • Usque, Samuel; translated by Martin Cohen. CONSOLATION FOR THE TRIBULATIONS OF ISRAEL. 8vo; 354 pages. Includes notes, bibliography and index. SERIES: Judaica Texts & Translations, Second Series; 1. Ex library with usual markings. In dustjacket, very good condition. (k-mx2-3/mx-32-5) (ID #21413/21425) $30.00.
169. • Yehuda Shamir; Moses, Ha-Kohen Of Tordesillas. RABBI MOSES HA-KOHEN OF TORDESILLAS AND HIS BOOK ‘EZER HA-EMUNAH—A CHAPTER IN THE HISTORY OF THE JUDEO-CHRISTIAN CONTROVERSY VOL 1 (ONLY). Coconut Grove, FL: Field Research Projects, 1972. Paper Wrappers, Folio. 254 pages, maps. In English. SUBJECT (S): Judaism – Apologetic works. Moses, ha-Kohen, of Tordesillas. Abner, of Burgos, b. Ca. 1270. In very good condition. (MX17-2) (ID #21482) $55.00.
170. • Yerushalmi, Yosef Hayim. THE RE-EDUCATION OF MARRANOS IN THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY. Cincinnati: Judiac Studies Program University Of Cincinnati,, 1980. Softcover, 16 pages, 16mo, 22 cm. Series: The Rabbi Louis Feinberg memorial lecture in Judaic studies; 3; Variation: Annual Rabbi Louis Feinberg memorial lecture; 3. SUBJECT (S): Marranos. Marranen. Very good condition. (k-mx-1-19) (ID #21466) $30.00.
171. • Yovel, Yirmiyahu. THE NEW OTHERNESS: MARRANO DUALITIES IN THE FIRST GENERATION. San Francisco: Swig Judaic Studies Program, University of San Francisco, 1999. Paper Wrappers. 8vo. 14 pages. Sections include: Introduction; The New Otherness; The Judaizers; Women as "Semi-Rabbis; " Interiority & Hope; Dialectical Paradoxes and Reversals; The Assimilated; The Drifters and Accommodators; Nostalgia vs. Hope; The Determined Neophytes; Marrano Anti-Judaism; The Spiritual Seekers; The This Worldly, the Skeptics, and the Heretics: The Career Seekers: an Early Individualism; The Proto-Universalists; Secularism and the Crisis of Transcendence. SUBJECT (S): Jews - Spain; Marranos - Spain; Christian converts from Judaism. OCLC lists 14 copies. Binding is paperback. Back has an address sticker and postal stamp. Very Good condition. (SEF-5-18). (ID #21431) $30.00.
172. • (Yugoslavia) Harriet Zivia Pass Freidenreich. THE JEWS OF YUGOSLAVIA. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society Of America, 1979. Cloth , 8vo. 323 pages, photograph illustrations, maps on endpapers. In English. In very good condition, in a very good jacket. (MX17-12) (ID #21492) $30.00.
173. • Epstein, Isidore. THE 'RESPONSA' OF RABBI SOLOMON BEN ADRETH OF BARCELONA (1235-1310) AS A SOURCE OF THE HISTORY OF SPAIN. London, Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner, 1925. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo, 122 pages. "Studies in the Communal Life of the Jews in Spain as Reflected in the "Responsa. " Wear to binding, yellow pages. (K-RAB-3-29) Good Condition. (ID #21457) $80.00.
174. • Wolfson, Harry. ESCAPING JUDAISM. New York: Menorah Press, Intercollegiate Menorah Association, 1923. Paper Wrappers, 4to, 54 pages, pamphlet #2. "Reprinted from The menorah Journal for June and August, 1921. Hinge repair. Minimal chippings on edges of cover. Slight water stain near binding on pages. Otherwise, good condition. (P-1) (ID #21440) $50.00.
175. • Wolfson, Harry Austryn. PHILO: FOUNDATIONS OF RELIGIOUS PHILOSOPHY IN JUDAISM, CHRISTIANITY, AND ISLAM. VOLUME I. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press., 1962. Cloth, 8vo. Xvi, 462 pages. “Third printing revised. ” SUBJECT (S): Philo, of Alexandria. SERIES: Wolfson, Harry Austryn, 1887-. Structure and growth of philosophic systems from Plato to Spinoza, ; 2. CONTENTS: Hellenistic Judaism and Philo; Handmaid of Scripture; Scriptural Presuppositions; God, the World of Ideas, and the Logos; Creation and Structure of the World; The Immanent Logos, Laes of nature, Miracles; Souls, Angels, Immortality; Free Will. Philo Judaeus, or Philo of Alexandria, lived ca. 20 B. C. E. To 50 C. E. “His works are written in an exceedingly rich Greek, and show great erudition in classical literature and both classical and contemporary philosophy, a thorough training in the art of rhetoric, and a broad knowledge of general science. Philo must have obtained this education in Greek schools. Everything that has been inferred as to the sources of his Jewish knowledge remains highly hypothetical, since the existence of Jewish schools in the Diaspora of that time has not been proved. ” (Amir, EJ) Ex library, otherwise very good condition. (MX-20-1) (ID #21556) $30.00.
176. • Wolfson, Harry Austryn. PHILO: FOUNDATIONS OF RELIGIOUS PHILOSOPHY IN JUDAISM, CHRISTIANITY, AND ISLAM. VOLUME II. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press., 1947. Cloth, 8vo. Xiv, 531 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Philo, of Alexandria. SERIES: Wolfson, Harry Austryn, 1887-. Structure and growth of philosophic systems from Plato to Spinoza, ; 2. CONTENTS: Knowledge and Prophecy; Proofs of the Existence of God; The Unknowability of God and Divine Predicates; Ethical Theory; Commandments and Virtues; Political Theory; What is New in Philo? ; Indices. Philo Judaeus, or Philo of Alexandria, lived ca. 20 B. C. E. To 50 C. E. “His works are written in an exceedingly rich Greek, and show great erudition in classical literature and both classical and contemporary philosophy, a thorough training in the art of rhetoric, and a broad knowledge of general science. Philo must have obtained this education in Greek schools. Everything that has been inferred as to the sources of his Jewish knowledge remains highly hypothetical, since the existence of Jewish schools in the Diaspora of that time has not been proved. ” (Amir, EJ) Occasional pencil marginalia, notes on back end paper, good condition. (MX-20-2) (ID #21557) $60.00.
177. • Wolfson, Harry Austryn. THE PHILOSOPHY OF SPINOZA: UNFOLDING THE LATENT PROCESSES OF HIS REASONING. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press., 1934. Cloth, 8vo. Xix, 440, xii, 424 pages. Complete in two volumes. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Spinoza, Benedictus de, 1632-1677. CONTENTS: Behind the Geometrical Method; The Geometrical Method; Definition of Substance and More; Unity of Substance; Simplicity of Substance; Proofs of the Existance of God; Extension and Thought; Infinity of Extension; The Causality of God; Duration, Time, and Eternity; Modes; Necessity and Purposelessness; Body and Mind; The Cognitive Faculties; Truth; The Three Stages of Knowledge; Will; Emotions; Virtues; Love, Immortality, and Blessedness; What is New in Spinoza? ; Indices. Spinoza (1632-1677) was a Dutch philosopher. Among the Spanish and Portuguese community that his family was a part of, Spinoza attracted attention for his irreligious and heretical ideas, such as questioning whether Adam was the first man. On July 27, 1656, he was excommunicated. His 1670 Tractatus Theologico-Politicus “caused a sensation, and was banned everywhere, and sold with false title pages. ” Three years later, he was offered the chair of philosophy at Heidelberg, which he declined, avowing a preference for a quiet life. Efforts to have his Ethics published were unfruitful, due to theological impediments. It was later published, after his death, in Opera Posthuma. (Smend, EJ) Water stained, otherwise good condition. (MX-20-11) (ID #21565) $60.00.
178. Wolfson, Harry Austryn. SPINOZA AND RELIGION. New York : New School for Social Research, 1950. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 26 pages. “The Horace Kallen Lecture for 1949.” SUBJECT(S): Spinoza, benedictus de, 1632-1677. Wolfson (1887-1974) was born in Belorussia, and emigrated to the Unites States in 1903. He attended Harvard, and then became a member of its faculty in 1915. He was a member of the American Academy for Jewish Research, the Mediaeval Academy of America, the American Oriental Society, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. A scholar of Spinoza and Crescas, Wolfson particularly focused on heir relation to earlier philosophers, such as Aristotle, Plato, and the Islamic philosopher Averroes.(Hyman, EJ) Label inside front cover, very good condition. (SEF-10-6) $30.00
WOMEN & RELATED
179. • Berkovits, Eliezer. JEWISH WOMEN IN TIME AND TORAH. Hoboken, N. J.: KTAV., 1990. Cloth, 8vo. 143 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Women in Judaism; Women – legal status, laws, etc. (Jewish law). ISBN: 0881253111. Has dust jacket with faded spine. Near fine condition. (MX-20-14) (ID #21568) $85.00.
181. • Hands, L. SOME LEGAL DIFFICULTIES WHICH BESET THE JEWESS. Kilburn: Hart & Son, 1920-1921. Paper wrappers, 8vo, 16 pages. 22 cm. Includes Addenda ( leaves ; 34 cm.). "Printed for Private Circulation." Paper prepared for the International Conference on Women Zionists which was held in London in July, 1920. Topics discussed include: Social Conditions, Political Oppression, Legal Status of Women, Divorce: The Husband's Rights, Divorce: The Wife's Position, The Childless Widow, Marriage with the Descendants of Aaron, Polygamy, Neglect of Legal Precautions, Need for Registration of Marriages, Immigrant Rabbis and Civil Law, & Need for a Central Rabbinic Authority. Includes a 2-page mimeographed "ADDENDA" by the author tipped in: "The accompanying paper [i.e. pamphlet] on 'Some Legal Difficulties which beset the Jewess,' was prepared for the International Conference of Women Zionists which was held in London in July, 1920. Since then, the subject has been much discussed and the writer desires to add a few words." Topics in the addenda include: "Practical Difficulties in Connection with Reform," "The Rabbinical Conference," "The Task Which Lies Before Women," & "Divorce by Mutual Consent." Includes bibliographical references on page 16. This is NOT the more common SOME DIFFICULTIES WHICH BESET THE JEWESS, WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO HER LEGAL POSITION, published by the same author several years prior (and with no adenda nor reference to the Conference ) in 1917. SUBJECT(S): Women -- Legal status, laws, etc. (Jewish law) Jewish women. Light wear, Very Good Condition. (br-3) (ID #12700) $100.00.
182. • Congress For Jewish Culture יונגער דור YUNGER DOR. Buenos Aires: Argentiner Opteyl Fun Alveltlekhn Yidishn Kultur-Kongres, 1959. Paper wrappers, 16mo. In Yiddish. Includes five volumes: 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1959. SUBJECT(S): Yiddish literature – Argentina – periodicals. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Good condition. (MX-20-3) (ID #21558) $45.00.
183. • Congress For Jewish Culture. יונגער דור YUNGER DOR. Buenos Aires: Argentiner Opteyl Fun Alveltlekhn Yidishn Kultur-Kongres, 1955. Paper wrappers, 16mo. In Yiddish. Includes two volumes: 1952 & 1955. SUBJECT(S): Yiddish literature – Argentina – periodicals. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Good condition. (MX-20-4) (ID #21559) $35.00.
184. • Congress For Jewish Culture.
יונגער דור YUNGER DOR. Buenos Aires: Argentiner Opteyl Fun Alveltlekhn Yidishn Kultur-Kongres, 1952. Paper wrappers, 16mo. In Yiddish. 1952 volume only. SUBJECT(S): Yiddish literature – Argentina – periodicals. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Good condition. (MX-20-5) (ID #21560) $30.00.
185. • Khayyam, Omar; A. Asen; Edward Fitzgerald. רובאיאט RUBAYAT. New York: Max N. Maizel, 1926. Cloth, 12mo. 63 pages. In Yiddish. SUBJECT(S): Persian literature – translations into Yiddish; Omar Khayyam – translations into Yiddish. OCLC lists 21 copies worldwide. Ex library. Multicolored patterned end papers. Minor edgewear, good+ condition. (MX-20-6) (ID #21561) $35.00.
186. • Rollansky, Samuel. GEZANGEN FAR ‘AMCHO FRAGMENTN FUN FORSARBETN TZU DER CHARAKTERISTIK, ZICHROINES, BILDER. Buenos Aires Ateneo Literario En El IWO, 1977. Cloth, 8vo. Illustrated. In Yiddish. OCLC lists one copy worldwide (Univ Bibl Johann Christian Senckenberg) In good condition. (MX18-6) (ID #21508) $50.00.
ERETZ ISRAEL, ZIONISM, & RELATED
187. • THE HEBREW UNIVERSITY JERUSALEM, GENERAL INFORMATION. 1936. Cloth, 8vo. Illustrated. General information on life at the university. In English. In very good condition. (MX18-21) (ID #21523) $30.00.
188. • Abraham Revusky. THE HISTADRUT (GENERAL FEDERATION OF JEWISH LABOR IN PALESTINE) A LABOR COMMONWEALTH IN THE MAKING. New York, N. Y, League For Labor Palestine,, 1938. Cloth, 12Mo. 96 Pages, fold out map stapled inside. In English. SUBJECT (S): ha-Histadrut ha-kelalit shel ha-`ovdim ha-`ivrim be-Erets-Yisrael. In very good condition. (MX18-23) (ID #21525) $30.00.
189. • Andrej Kreutz. VATICAN POLICY ON THE PALESTINIAN-ISRAELI CONFLICT: THE STRUGGLE FOR THE HOLY LAND. New York: Greenwood Press, 1980. Cloth, 8vo. 196 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Arab-Israeli conflict Arab-Israeli conflict. Catholic Church and Zionism. Relations judéo-arabes -- Histoire -- 1917-1948. Conflit israélo-arabe. Sionisme -- Aspect religieux -- Église catholique. Palestijnse kwestie. Apostolische Stoel. Buitenlandse betrekkingen. Catholic Church -- Foreign relations -- Israel. Catholic Church -- Relations (diplomatic) -- Israel. Église catholique -- Relations extérieures -- Israël. Israel --Foreign relations -- Catholic Church. Israël -- Relations extérieures -- Église catholique. In very good condition. (MX18-22) (ID #21524) $95.00.
190. • Arthur Lourié; Jacob Robinson. BRITAIN AND PALESTINE: AN EXAMINATION OF PRESENT BRITISH POLICY IN THE LIGHT OF THE MANDATE FOR PALESTINE. New York: American Zionist Emergency Council, 1949. Cloth, 4To. 19 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Restoration. Jews -- Palestine. World War, 1939-1945 -- Diplomatic history. Mandates – Great Britain. Mandates -Palestine. Zionism. Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- Palestine. Palestine -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain. Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- 1936-1945. Palestine -- History -- 1929-1948. Palestine -- Politics and government. OCLC lists: 27 copies worldwide. In very good condition. (MX18-30) (ID #21532) $35.00.
191. • Ben-Avram, Baruch. MIFLAGOT U-ZERAMIM POLITIYIM BI-TEKUFAT HA-BAYIT HA-LEUMI, 1918-1948. Yerushalayim: Merkaz Zalman Shazar Le-Ha`amakat Ha-Toda`ah Ha-Historit Ha-Yehudit, Ha-Hevrah Ha-Historit Ha-Yisreaelit,. Cloth, 8vo. 285 Pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Palestine -- History -- 1917-1948. Jews -- Palestine -- Politics and government -- 1917-1948. Palestine -- History -- 1917-1948. Palestine -- Politics and government -- 1917-1948. In very good condition. (MX18-7) (ID #21509) $40.00.
192. • Dayan, Moshe. DIARY OF THE SINAI CAMPAIGN. New York, Harper & Row Edition: 1st Ed, 1966. Cloth, 8vo. Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Sinai Campaign, 1956 -- Personal narratives, Israeli. Dayan, Moshe, 1915-1981 -- Diaries. Israel -- Armed Forces -- Biography. Dayan, (1915–1981) , an Israel military commander and a statesman, was the elder son of Shemuel and Devorah. He was born in Deganyah Alef, and raised in the moshav Nahalal. As a young man he was a guard in the village fields, later joining the Haganah. During the riots of 1936–39, he served with the special police force in the Jezreel Valley and Galilee. He was commander of a unit of the "field companies" (peluggot sadeh) in 1938, and participated in the operations of the special night squads commanded by Orde Wingate. In very good condition, signed by the author. (MX18-10) (ID #21512) $30.00.
193. • Edwin Samuel Montagu. EDWIN MONTAGUE AND THE BALFOUR DECLARATION. New York: Arab League Office, 1966. Cloth, 8vo. 23 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Zionism. Balfour Declaration. In very good condition. (MX18-28) (ID #21530) $30.00.
194. • Edwin Samuel, Viscount Samuel. HANDBOOK OF THE JEWISH COMMUNAL VILLAGES IN PALESTINE, 1938. Jerusalem: Zionist Organization Youth Department, 1945. Cloth, 8vo. 92 Pages, 4 leaves of plates, map. In English. SUBJECT (S): Kibbutzim. Samuel, (1898–1978) , was a public administrator and a writer. Samuel served in the British army in Palestine in World War I and on the staff of the Zionist Commission headed by Chaim Weizmann. He joined the British Colonial Service and was appointed a district officer in Palestine, where he was director of broadcasting during the last three years of the Mandate. In 1945 he established the nucleus of what later became Israel's Institute of Public Administration, of which he was principal. He divided his time between Britain and Israel, where he lectured on British institutions and political theory. (EJ, Lipman and Efron) In very good condition. (MX18-18) (ID #21520) $35.00.
195. • Esco Foundation For Palestine, Inc. PALESTINE, A STUDY OF JEWISH, ARAB, AND BRITISH POLICIES. New Haven, Yale University Press; London, G. Cumberlege, Oxford University Press, 1947. Cloth, 8vo. 2 volumes. 2 v. Maps, facsims, diagr. And portfolio of 1 l, map on 3 fold. In English. SUBJECT (S): Zionism. Sionisme. Palestine -- Politics and government -- 1917-1948. (ID #21505) $90.00.
196. • Gerhard Münzner; Ernst Kahn. JEWISH LABOUR ECONOMY IN PALESTINE. London, V. Gollancz,, 1945. Cloth, 12mo. 231 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Agriculture -- Economic aspects -- Palestine. Joden. Arbeidseconomie. Histadrut ha-kelalit shel ha-`ovdim ha-`Ivrim be-Erets-Yisrael. Palestine -- Industries. In very good condition. (MX18-24) (ID #21526) $30.00.
197. • Great Britain. PALESTINE. STATEMENT OF INFORMATION RELATING TO ACTS OF VIOLENCE. London, H. M. Stationery Off.,. Cloth, Ca,. 1930? 8vo. 10 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jews -- Palestine. Palestine -- History -- 1929-OCLC lists 10 copies worldwide. In good condition. (MX18-13) (ID #21515) $40.00.
198. • (Jabotinsky) Schechtman, Joseph B. FIGHTER AND PROPHET: THE LAST YEARS (THIS IS VOL 2 ONLY, OF 2). New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1961. Cloth, 8vo. 643 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Zionists -- Biography. Jabotinsky, Vladimir, 1880-1940. Schechtman, (1891–1970) , was a Zionist leader, an authority on population movements, and an author. Schechtman, who was born in Odessa, served in the all-Russian Jewish Congress convened in Petrograd (1917) and the Ukrainian National Assembly convened in Kiev (1918). After leaving Russia in 1921, he became coeditor and later managing editor of Razsvyet (1922–32) , the organ of the Federation of Russian-Ukrainian Zionists, and subsequently the leading Revisionist weekly. Schechtman approved Jabotinsky's resignation from the Actions Committee of the World Zionist Organization in 1923, but disagreed with his concurrent resignation from the Zionist Organization itself. However, this partial support later became total when the two men took the lead in founding the World Union of Zionist Revisionists in Paris in 1925 which elected Jabotinsky its president. In very good condition, in a good jacket, ex-library with the usual markings. (MX18-1) (ID #21503) $35.00.
199. • Jacob A Arikha. RESTORATION OF PLACE-NAMES IN ERETZ ISRAEL: HOW THE SETTLEMENTS ON THE LAND OF THE KEREN KAYEMETH LEISRAEL. Jerusalem: Jewish National Fund, 1937. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 47 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Names, Geographical -- Palestine. In good condition. (MX18-17) (ID #21519) $50.00.
200. • Jewish Agency For Israel. THESE ARE THE FACTS: ONE THOUSAND IMMIGRANT FAMILIES; THOUSANDS OF SOURCES OF LIVELIHOOD. Tel Aviv: Economic Dept. Of The Jewish Agency, 1960. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 108 Pages, illustrated. In English. SUBJECT (S): Small business -- Israel. Israel -- Emigration and immigration. OCLC lists 8 copies worldwide In very good condition. (MX18-20) (ID #21522) $30.00.
201. • Keneset Yisrael Be-Erets-Yisrael. ; United Nations. LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN PALESTINE: MEMORANDUM SUBMITTED TO THE UNITED NATIONS SPECIAL COMMITTEE ON PALESTINE ON BEHALF OF THE VAAD LEUMI, GNERAL COUNCIL OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OF PALESTINE. Jerusalem, 1947. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 45 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Palestine -- Politics and government -- 1917-1948. OCLC lists: 5 copies worldwide. In very good condition. (MX18-19) (ID #21521) $50.00.
202. • Kurland, Samuel. COOPERATIVE PALESTINE; THE STORY OF HISTADRUT. New York Pub. By Sharon Books For The National Committee For Labor Palestine, 1947. Paper Wrappers independent , 8vo. 276 Pages, illustrated. In English. SUBJECT (S): Histadrut ha-kelalit shel ha-`ovdim ha-`Ivrim be-Erets-Yisrael. In good condition. (MX18-26) (ID #21528) $30.00.
203. • Lipsky, Louis. A BATTLE OF DOCUMENTS. Washington, D. C.: The Zionist Organization Of America, 1942. Phamplet, 8vo. Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Zionism -- History. Note: "Address at the joint session of the Convention of the Zionist Organization of America, and of Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, October 1942."/ "Reprinted from The new Palestine, November 6, 1942."/ Cover title. OCLC lists: seven copies worldwide. In very good condition. (MX18-29) (ID #21531) $50.00.
204. • Palestine Economic Corporation. PALESTINE ECONOMIC CORPORATION INCORPORATED, FIRST ANNUAL REPORT. New York: The Corporation, 1926. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 46 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Credit -- Israel -- Periodicals. Finance -- Israel -- Periodicals. Israel -- Economic conditions -- Periodicals. PALESTINE ECONOMIC CORPORATION (now known as PEC Israel Economic Corporation) , is a public company, incorporated in the United States through the merger of two agencies interested in the economic development of Palestine. According to its charter, its principal purpose was "to afford financial aid to commercial, banking, credit, industrial, and agricultural enterprises, cooperative or otherwise, in or relating to Palestine. " In very good condition. (MX18-9) (ID #21511) $40.00.
205. • Pinsker, Leon. AUTO-EMANCIPATION. No Place: Masada, Youth Zionist Organization Of America, 1939. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 31 pages. SUBJECT (S): Zionism. OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide. Pinkser (1821-1891) , born in Odessa, was originally an advocate of Haskalah enlightenment and assimilation for Russian Jews. However, after the pogrom of 1881, he became a Zionist. As such, he led the organization Hibbat Zion, supported emigration to a Jewish homeland, and published his famous book, Auto-emancipation. Originally published anonymously, this work “analyzed the psychological and social roots of antisemitism and called for the establishment of a Jewish national center. ” Though Pinsker did not originally wish to endorse Palestine as the only possibility for the Jewish homeland, towards the end of his life, he was convinced that it was the only workable option. (EJ, 2007) Covers faded, writing at top of front cover, good condition. (MX-20-12) (ID #21566) $30.00.
206. • Rabinowicz, Oskar K. FIFTY YEARS OF ZIONISM; A HISTORICAL ANALYSIS OF DR WEIZMANN’S ‘TRIAL AND ERROR’. London, R. Anscombe,edition: [2d Ed. ], 1952. Cloth, 8vo. Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Zionism -- History. Weizmann, Chaim, 1874-1952. Trial and error. RAbinowicz, (1902–1969) , was a financier, an author, and a Zionist. Born in Aspern, Austria, Rabinowicz studied at Brno, Prague and Berlin, later engaging in the gold business. He was active in the Zionist Revisionist movement and after 1933 became chairman of the Czechoslovak committee to boycott Nazi Germany. Ex library in good condition. (MX18-2) (ID #21504) $30.00.
207. • Soloway, Arnold. THE ROLE OF ARAB POLITICAL CULTURE AND HISTORY IN THE CONFLICT WITH ISRAEL. New York, N. Y.: Center For Near East Policy Research, 1985. Cloth, 8vo. 48 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Jewish-Arab relations. Islam and politics -- Middle East. Arab countries -- Politics and government. In good condition. (MX18-14) (ID #21516) $30.00.
208. • Stein, Leonard. MEMORANDUM ON THE “REPORT OF THE COMMISSION ON THE PALESTINE DISTURBANCES OF THE AUGUST 1929.” London, Jewish Agency For Palestine, 1930. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 110 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Zionism. Jewish-Arab relations. Great Britain. Commission on the Palestine Disturbances of August 1929. Report. Palestine -- History -- Arab riots, 1929. Stein, (1887–1973) , a barrister, an author, and a Zionist historian. Born in London, Stein was called to the bar in 1912. He was a captain in the British Army in World War I, after which he served as a political officer in the military administration in Palestine and as military governor of Safed. In 1920 Chaim Weizmann appointed him political secretary and legal adviser of the Zionist Organization, a position which he held from 1920 until 1929, when he left over a disagreement on the official policy of the Zionist leadership. In 1932 he returned to practicing law and achieved a reputation as a foremost expert on taxation. (EJ, Kressel) In good condition. (MX18-16) (ID #21518) $95.00.
209. • Universitah Ha-`ivrit Bi-Yerushalayim. THE HEBREW UNIVERSITY, JERUSALEM; ITS HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT. Jerusalem: Azriel Press Edition: 2d Ed. (Rev. )., 1942. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 137 Pages, tables. In English. SUBJECT (S): Universitah ha-`Ivrit bi Yerushalayim. Notes on the cover, In good condition. (MX18-11) (ID #21513) $30.00.
210. • William Roger Louis; Robert W Stookey. THE END OF THE PALESTINE MANDATE. Austin: University Of Texas Press, 1986. Cloth, 8vo. 181 Pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Palestine -- History -- Partition, 1947. (ID #21514) $35.00.
OTHER INTERESTING TITLES
211. • ספורי כלילה ודמנה \ תרגמו מערבית בידי אברהם אלמאליה, עם מבוא מאת המתרגם SIPURE KALILA V'DIMNA. Tel-Aviv, Dvir, 1926. Hardcover, xviii, 155 pages, 8vo, 25 cm. In Hebrew. Other Titles: Kalilah wa-Dimnah. Hebrew; Fables of Bidpai. ; Hebrew. Ex-library with usual markings. Wear on cover and binding. Minimal water stain in lower corner of binding on first 20 pages. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-rab-2-14) (ID #21613) $50.00.
212. • Bath Yehudah, Geulah. אלה תולדות רבי יהודה ליב הכהן מימון ELEH TOLDOT: RABI YEHUDAH LEB HA-KOHEN MAIMON. Yerushalayim: Mosad Ha-Rav K?uk?, Israel; Jerusalem, 1964. Hardcover, 122 pages, 12mo, 20 cm. In Hebrew. Standard No: LCCN: he 65-1321. SUBJECT(S): Named Person: Maimon, Judah Leib, 1875-1962. Ex-library with usual markings. Some staining on title page. Wear on cover. Otherwise Very Good condition. (k-rab-2-5) (ID #21604) $30.00.
213. • Cahn, William. EINSTEIN, A PICTORIAL BIOGRAPHY. New York, Citadel Press, 1955. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 126 p. Illus. 1st edition. In English. SUBJECT (S): Einstein, Albert, 1879-1955. In very good condition. MX19-5 (ID #21535) $30.00.
214. • Kaminka, Armand. צהרים : שירים חדשים גם ישנים. TSOHORAYIM: SHIRIM HADASHIM YESHANIM. Vina: Ahiasaf ; Drohobitsh: A. H. Zupnik,, 1909. Hardcover, iv, 76 pages, 12mo, 18 cm. In Hebrew. Kaminka (1866-1950) “who was born in Berdichev, studied at the universities of Berlin and Paris as well as at the orthodox Rabbinerseminar in Berlin and the Lehranstalt fuer die Wissenschaft des Judentums in Berlin. His first appointment was as rabbi at Frankfurt on the Oder, then as preacher at the Reform temple in Prague (1893–97). After serving as chief rabbi of Esseg (Osyek) , Slavonia (1897–1900) , he moved to Vienna where he became secretary of the Israelitische Allianz (whose history he described in Haolam, 35 (1948) , nos. 1–11). In 1903 Kaminka was sent by the Israelitische Allianz to Kishinev to investigate the pogrom that had taken place there that April. He also taught Talmud, philosophy, and history at the bet hamidrash of I. H. Weiss (1901–04) , as well as at the community's religious teachers' training college. In 1924 Kaminka founded Maimonides College (for the spreading of Jewish knowledge among Viennese Jewry) , and from 1926 lectured on Talmud and Jewish philosophy at the University of Vienna. With the annexation of Austria by Hitler in 1938, Kaminka settled in Palestine. As secretary of the Allianz, Kaminka was involved in relief work for the victims of persecution in Romania and Russia to the end of World War I. He had been active from youth in the Hibbat Zion movement and was long associated with Theodor Herzl, who considered Kaminka a suitable intermediary between himself and the Russian Hovevei Zion. Kaminka took part in the first Zionist Congress (1897) , where he gave the official address on Jewish settlement in Palestine. Because of his interest in "practical Zionism, " he eventually fell out with Herzl. ” (Grill in EJ, 2007). Vocalized poems. Other Titles: Zohoraim, hebraiche Gedichte. Wear on cover and binding. Hinge repair. Ex-library with usual markings. Otherwise, very good condition. (k-rab-2-16) (ID #21615) $75.00.
215. • Rabinowitz, Louis I. JEWISH MERCHANT ADVENTURERS: A STUDY OF THE RADANITES. London: E. Goldstein, 1948. Cloth, 8vo. 212 pages. Maps. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Radanites; Trade routes; Jews – history. Ex library. Hinges repaired, good condition. (MX-20-10) (ID #21564) $55.00.
216. • Raphael, Chaim. THE ROAD FROM BABYLON. New York: Harper And Row, 1985. Cloth, 8vo. 294 pages. In English. RAPHAEL, CHAIM (1908–1994) , author and scholar. Born in Middlesborough, he lectured in post-biblical Hebrew at Oxford (1932–39) , became a civil servant, and was head of the information division of the British Treasury (1959–68) before returning to academic life as a Jewish social historian. Raphael wrote thrillers such as The Naked Villany (1958) under the pen-name of Jocelyn Davey; the autobiographical Memoirs of a Special Case (1962) ; and several books on Jewish history and practice, including The Walls of Jerusalem (1968) , on the destruction of the Temple in history and legend, The Springs of Jewish Life (1983) , and The Sephardi Story (1991). (EJ, Staff) In very good condition in a good jacket. (MX19-10) (ID #21540) $30.00.
217. • Rudavsky, David. EMANCIPATION AND ADJUSTMENT; CONTEMPORARY JEWISH RELIGIOUS MOVEMENTS, THEIR HISTORY AND THOUGHT. New York, Diplomatic Press, 1967. Cloth, 8vo. 460 pages. Illus, facsims, ports. In English. SUBJECT (S): Judaism -- History -- Modern period, 1750. In very good condition in a good jacket. (MX19-17) (ID #21547) $30.00.
218. • Wanefsky, Joseph. RABBI ISAAC JACOB REINES: HIS LIFE AND THOUGHT. New York, Philosophical Library, 1970. Cloth, 8vo. 171 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Reines, Isaac Jacob, 1839-1915. Very good in a very good jacket. (MX19-2) (ID #21533) $30.00.
219. • Bettan,