Wyman Books, Inc.
Now open for Browsers T & Th 11am-7pm
"We Find Good Homes for Nice Jewish Books"
CATALOG 89: OVER 125 TITLES IN
HEBREW BIBLE, ANCIENT MIDDLE EAST,
AND RELATED SUBJECTS
Nr. 44. • Amar, Zohar. הארבה במסורת ישראל HA-ARBEH BE-MASORET YISRAEL. Ramat-Gan: Hotsaat Universitat Bar-Ilan, 2004.
46. • Andreasen, Niels-Erik A. THE OLD TESTAMENT SABBATH: A TRADITION-HISTORICAL INVESTIGATION. Missoula, Mont: SBL, 1972.
102. • Vilnay, Zev. מצבות קודש בארץ־ישראל MATSEVOT KODESH BE-ERETS YISRAEL. Jerusalem: Mosad Ha-Rav Kuk, 1951.
Welcome to our latest catalog, an assortment of over 125 titles in Hebrew Bible, Ancient Middle East, and related fields.
Please also search our online inventory of over 6000 titles in Jewish Studies we have listed on line at www.DanWymanBooks.com, or search by author, title or keyword on our Nice Jewish Bookfinder. You'll also find interesting and unusual titles in related and overlapping fields in our recent catalogs, all online at www.DanWymanBooks.com
As always, every item is offered subject
to prior sale and is 100% returnable for any reason. Domestic shipping is
generally $5.00 for the first item and $1.00 for each additional item.
International shipments are at cost, generally $12.00 for smaller-size items and
$25.00 for larger size items.
We prefer payment by credit card, but also accept checks in US funds or www.paypal.com. We will also gladly invoice your institution. Please do not order via fax at this time.
To order, please email us with your
requests to [email protected]
PLEASE ALSO LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE OUR LISTS OF OUT OF PRINT JUDAICA TITLES by emailing us at [email protected]
And feel free to forward this list to other colleagues who may be interested.
Many thanks to Anna Chapman, the latest addition to our talented team , for her work on this catalog.
We look forward to hearing from you.
CATAGORIES IN ORDER
ANCIENT MIDDLE EAST
DEAD SEA SCROLLS
ART & RELATED
GRAMMAR & LINGUISTICS
HEBREW BIBLE/OLD TESTAMENT
SECOND TEMPLE & EARLY CHRISTIANITY
AMERICANA & 19TH CENTURY AMERICAN IMPRINTS
OTHER RELATED WORKS
ANCIENT MIDDLE EAST
1. • Clay, Albert Tobias. AMURRU, THE HOME OF THE NORTHERN SEMITES: A STUDY SHOWING THAT THE RELIGION AND CULTURE OF ISRAEL ARE NOT OF BABYLONIAN ORIGIN. Philadelphia: Sunday School Times, 1909. Cloth, 8vo. 217 pages. Map. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Semitic languages; Semitic philology; Cuneiform inscriptions; Amurru (Ancient kingdom) – antiquities. Includes index. Edgeworn, foredge of covers water stained, owner's name very small inside front cover, good condition. (BIBLE-5-21) (ID #21036) $30.00.
2. • Fleischer, Benjamin. FROM DAN TO MEGIDDO: AN OUTLINE OF JEWISH MILITARY HISTORY THROUGHOUT THE AGES PRESENTED BIOGRAPHICALLY. VOLUME 1, AN OUTLINE OF JEWISH MILITARY HISTORY THROUGHOUT THE AGES PRESESNTED BIOGRAPHICALLY. New York: Shulsinger Bros, 1941. Cloth, 8vo. 184 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jews – military history; Jews – biography. OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. CONTENTS: Abraham—patriarch victorious; Joshua—conquering disciple; Barak—hero victorious of Mount Tabor; Gideon—hero deliverer of the Trembling Spring; Samuel—prophet emancipator; Saul and David—kings[sic] liberators; Decline and fall of the Jewish monarchy; Josiah—hero martyr of Megiddo. Ex library. Corners lightly bumped and worn, good+ condition. (BIBLE-7-19) (ID #21106) $30.00.
3. • James, Frances W. THE IRON AGE AT BETH SHAN: A STUDY OF LEVELS VI-IV. Philadelphia: University Museum, University Of Pennsylvania, 1966. Paper wrappers, 4to. Xviii, 366 pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Bet Shean (Israel) – antiquities. SERIES: Museum monographs; Variation: Museum monographs (University of Pennsylvania. University Museum) . Spine faded, owner's stamp and blind stamp, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-5-26) (ID #21041) $35.00.
4. • Montefiore, C. G. ANCIENT JEWISH AND GREEK ENCOURAGEMENT AND CONSOLATION IN SORROW AND CALAMITY. London? Privately Printed, 1917. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 78 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S) Consolation (Judaism) Joy and sorrow (Judaism) . OCLC lists twelve copies worldwide. In good condition. (BIBLE6-3) (ID #21044) $45.00.
5. • Pritchard, James Bennett. ANCIENT NEAR EASTERN TEXTS RELATING TO THE OLD TESTAMENT. Princeton, N. J.: Princeton University Press, 1969. Cloth, 4to. 710 pages. Third edition, with supplement. SUBJECT (S): Oriental literature – translations into English; Bible. O. T. -- history of Biblical events; Near East – antiquities; Bible. O. T. -- antiquities. CONTENTS: Myths, epics, and legends; Legal texts; Historical texts; Rituals, incantations, and descriptions of festivals; Hymns and prayers; Didactic and wisdom literature; Lamentations; Secular songs and poems; Letters; Miscellaneous texts; Supplement. ISBN: 0691035032. Ex library, otherwise good+ condition. (BIBLE-9-13) (ID #21149) $75.00.
6. • Sayce, A. H. PATRIARCHAL PALESTINE. London: Society For Promoting Christian Learning, 1895. Cloth, 8vo. Xiii, 277 pages. Map. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jews – history – to B. C. E. 953; Palestine – history. Ex library. Front cover and backstrip missing, light water stains in margins of first and last few pages, good condition. (SPEC-2-7) (ID #20116) $30.00.
7. • Staerk, W. ARAMAEISCHE URKUNDEN ZUR GESCHICHTE DES JUDENTUMS IM VI UND V JAHRHUNDERT VOR CHR. Bonn: A. Marcus Und E. Weber, 1908. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 16 pages. In German and Aramaic. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Aramaic language – texts; Manuscripts, Aramaic; Jews – history – to 70 C. E. -- sources. Series: Kleine texte für vorlesungen und übungen,; 32. Ex library. Spine repaired, top edge of cover has small tear, good- condition. (BIBLE-8-4) (ID #21116) $50.00.
8. • (Tyre) Fleming, Wallace Bruce, . THE HISTORY OF TYRE,. New York, AMS Press,, 1966. Cloth, 8vo. Xiv, 165 pages, map. In English. SUBJECT (S) Geographic: Tyre (Lebanon) -- History. In very good condition (Bible6-10) (ID #21051) $45.00.
9. • (Tyre) Katzenstein, H. Jacob. THE HISTORY OF TYRE: FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE SECOND MILLENIUM B.C.E. UNTIL THE FALL OF THE NEO-BABYLONIAN EMPIRE IN 538 BCE. Jerusalem, Schocken Institute, 1973. 1st Edition. Cloth, 8vo, xxiii,373 pages. 24 cm. Inscribed by the author. Very good condition. (k-bib-1-1) (ID #21161) $75.00.
DEAD SEA SCROLLS
10. • Flusser, David. THE DEAD SEA SECT AND PRE-PAULINE CHRISTIANITY. Jerusalem: [Hebrew University], 1958. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 215-266 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Authors' presentation inscriptions (Provenance) -- 20th century. Dead Sea scrolls. OCLC lists one copy worldwide (Washington State University) Flusser, (1917- ) , was a scholar of comparative religion; and a professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem from 1962. Flusser's researches have been devoted to Christianity, with a special interest in the New Testament; to Judaism of the Second Temple Period, and in particular to the Dead Sea Scrolls; to the Josippon Chronicle, and certain associated areas. Of great prominence have been his researches into the Dead Sea Scrolls and the sect which produced them, especially as the Scrolls relate to the New Testament. (EJ, Staff) In very good condition. (BIBLE6-2) (ID #21043) $70.00.
11. • Talmon, Shemaryahu. THE "DEAD SEA SCROLLS" OR "THE COMMUNITY OF THE RENEWED COVENANT.". Tucson: University Of Arizona Press, 1993. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 32 pages. “The Albert T. Bilgray Lecture, April, 1993.” SUBJECT (S): Qumran community; Dead Sea Scrolls; Bible. O. T. -- criticism, interpretation, etc, Jewish. OCLC lists 23 copies worldwide. Talmon (b. 1920) is a Polish-born Bible scholar, who moved to Palestine in 1939 and received a doctorate from the Hebrew University in 1946. He studied many areas of Biblical scholarship, and made important contributions to education and to the understanding of scripture texts. “His sociological approach to text history advanced the understanding of various aspects of the biblical text, especially with regard to the Qumran scrolls found in the Judean Desert. His interests in the texts found in Qumran and in sociological research were combined in the study of the nature and history of the Qumran monastery. ”(EJ, Hoter) Address label on back cover, very good condition. (BIBLE-5-4) (ID #21018) $30.00.
12. • Ben-Zvi, Itzhak. SEFER HA-SHOMRONIM. Jerusalem: Ben-Zvi, 1970. Cloth, 8vo. 11, 368, 17 pages. Illustration plates. Revised edition. English title: Book of the Samaritans. SUBJECT (S): Samaritans – history. SERIES: Ketavim; 6; Variation: Ben-Zvi, Itzhak,; 1884-1963.; Works; 1966; 6. Born in Ukraine, Ben-Zvi (1884-1963) was the second president of Israel, leading the country from 1952 to 1963. A Zionist Socialist, he led the labor movement in both Russia and Israel. He first visited Palestine in 1904, and two years later attended the founding Po'alei Zion conference. After escaping arrest in June, 1906, in 1907 Ben-Zvi moved to Palestine and represented the area at the Eight Zionist Congress. During WWI, Ben-Zvi and David Ben Gurion were deported by Jamal Pasha and the Ottomans, settling in New York and founding the He-Halutz movement. The also started a volunteer movement, as well as volunteering themselves, to supply troops for the British Jewish Legion, which fought a on the Middle Eastern front. After the War, Ben-Zvi was appointed to the Palestine Advisory Council, but resigned in protest the next year. He was elected twice to the Jerusalem Municipal Council, and to the first and second Knesset, and served two terms as president. (Shazar, EJ) Inscribed by author. Has dust jacket. Very good condition. (BIBLE-7-4) (ID #21090) $30.00.
13. • Nicholl, George Frederick. A GRAMMAR OF THE SAMARITAN LANGUAGE: WITH EXTRACTS AND VOCABULARY. London: Samuel Bagster & Sons, 1858. Cloth, 12mo. Vi, 138 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Samaritan Aramaic language – grammar. Ex library. Covers a little worn, good condition. (BIBLE-7-25) (ID #21112) $200.00.
ART & RELATED
14. Arnold, Thomas W. (Sir). THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT IN MUSLIM RELIGIOUS ART: SCHWEICH LECTURE BRITISH ACADEMY 1928. London: The British Academy, 1932. First Edition. Preface by H.A.R. Gibb. Original Cloth, tall 8vo, [xii], 47pages. Includes 19 black & white plates. Sir Thomas Walker Arnold (1864-1930) was one of the leading authorities on Islamic Art at the time of this lecture. Because of his death in 1930, H.A.R. Gibb was asked to select the illustrations and complete the necessary revision of the text for publication. Very Good Condition. (k-bible-1-4) (ID 21164) $40.00
15. Goldman, Bernard. THE SACRED PORTAL: A PRIMARY SYMBOL IN ANCIENT JUDAIC ART. Wayne State U. Press, 1966. First edition, first printing. Cloth, 8vo 216 pages + 15 pages. Includes 60 bladk and white plates, as well as a bibliography and index. Very Good Condition in Very Good Jacket. (k-bible-1-5) (ID 21165) xx $30.00
16. Gutmann Joseph,ed. NO GRAVEN IMAGES.STUDIES IN ART AND THE HEBREW BIBLE. NJ, KTAV, 1971. Cloth, 8vo, 599 pages. Includes many illustrations. Issued with out dust jacket. Very Good Condition. $60.00 (k-bible-1-3) (ID 21163) $60.00
17. Hachlili, Rachel. ANCIENT JEWISH ART AND ARCHAEOLOGY IN THE LAND OF ISRAEL. Leiden; New York : E.J. Brill, 1988. Cloth, 8vo, xxii, 427 pages. Also includes  pages of plates (!). 25 cm. Also includes indexes & Bibliography on pages -416. Joseph Gutmann’s copy with his occational notes in pencil. Part of the series, Handbuch der Orientalistik, Nr. 7.; SUBJECT(S): Excavations (Archaeology) -- Palestine. Jewish art and symbolism -- Palestine. Art, Jewish -- Palestine. Synagogue architecture -- Palestine. Synagogue art -- Palestine. Excavations (Archaeology) -- Palestine. Art et symbolisme juif -- Palestine. Synagogues -- Architecture -- Palestine. Architecture juive -- Palestine. Art synagogal -- Palestine. Fouilles (Archéologie) -- Palestine. Art juif -- Palestine. Synagogues. Art synagogal -- Palestine. Opgravingen. Synagogen. Geographic: Palestine -- Antiquities. Palestine -- Antiquités. Palestine -- Antiquités. ISBN: 9004081151. Institutional bookplate. Very Good Condition. (bible-1-37) (ID 21166) $225.00
18. • Raffalovitch, Samuel. MATBE`OT HA-YEHUDIM: ... TOLDOT HA-MATBE`OT BE-YISRAEL U-FETAH DAVAR "TORAH MI-TSIYON.". Jerusalem: Bi-Defus S. Tsukerman, 1913. Cloth, 8vo. Vi, 6, 199 pages. Plate illustrations. In Hebrew. English title: Coins of the Jews: history of Jewish coinage. SUBJECT (S): Coins, Jewish. OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide. Ex library. Water marks throughout, good- condition. (SPEC-2-23) (ID #20133) $175.00.
19. • Marcus, Joseph; Ben Sira. THE NEWLY DISCOVERED ORIGINAL HEBREW OF BEN SIRA (ECCLESIASTICUS XXXII, 16-XXXIV, 1): THE FIFTH MANUSCRIPT AND A PROSODIC VERSION OF BEN SIRA (ECCLESIASTICUS XXII, 22-XXIII,9) . Philadelphia: Dropsie College, 1931. Cloth, 8vo. 28 pages. Illustrated with facsimiles. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Genizah. Ben Sira was a “Hebrew aphorist, sage, and scribe, the author of Wisdom of Ben Sira (Ecclesiasticus) . Ben Sira was a younger contemporary of the high priest Simeon (50: 1ff. ) , apparently Simeon the Just, who according to the Talmud and Josephus (Ant, 12: 43, 157) lived at the beginning of the third century B. C. E. In the introduction to the Greek translation of the Wisdom of Ben Sira, the author is referred to as Jesus, by which name he is generally known in the Christian tradition. In the more authoritative Hebrew version, however (50: 27; 52: end) , his full name is given as Simeon b. Jeshua b. Eleazar b. Sira. The book was translated into Greek by Ben Sira's grandson after his arrival in Egypt in 132 B. C. E. From this date, given by the grandson in the preface to his translation, it may be reckoned that Ben Sira completed the book about 170 B. C. E. Apparently Ben Sira's life was at one time in jeopardy because of a false charge leveled against him, from which, however, he was saved (51) . ” (EJ, 2007) Ex library with minimal markings. Water stain throughout, good- condition. (BIBLE-8-1) (ID #21113) $30.00.
20. • (Alon, Gedalia) Menahem Dorman; Shemuel Safrai; Menahem Stern. SEFER ZIKARON LI-GEDALYAHU ALON: MEHKARIM BE-TOLDOT YISRAEL UVA-LASHON HA-`IVRIT. Tel Aviv; Ha-Kibuts Ha-Meuhad, 1970. Cloth, 8vo. 294 pages. In Hebrew. First edition. English title: In memory of Gedaliahu Alon: essays in Jewish history and philology; Essays in Jewish history and philology. SUBJECT (S): Jews – history; Hebrew language; Alon, Gedalia – bibliography. Very good condition. (BIBLE-7-6) (ID #21092) $100.00.
21. • (Broide, Israel & Zvi) Licht, Jacob; Gershon Brin; Israel Broide; Zvi Broide. הצבי ישראל : אסופת מחקרים במקרא לזכר ד״ר ישראל ברוידא, ז״ל ובנו צבי ברוידא, ז״ל HA-TSEVI YISRAEL: ASUPAT MEHKARIM BA-MIKRA LE-ZEKHER DR. YISRAEL BROIDA, ZAL U-VENO TSEVI BROIDA, ZAL. Tel Aviv: Tel Aviv University, School For Jewish Studies, 1976. Cloth, (FT) 8vo. 163 pages. Photograph illustration. In Hebrew. First edition. English title: Studies in Bible dedicated to the memory of Israel and Zvi Broide. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. -- criticism, interpretation, etc; Broide, Israel; Broide, Zvi, 1951-1973. CONTENTS: Uffenheimer, B. On Genesis ch. 15. -- Efron, J. The servant of the Lord in Daniel. -- Broide, I. Oil and dew in Psamls 133. -- Brin, G. The transfer of hegemony, and the problem of the title B'kor. -- Grintz, Y. M. The early dating of the book of the Covenant. -- Hoffman, Y. The song of vineyard. -- Haran, M. Between ancient and classical prophecy. -- Weiss, R. Three textual notes. -- Zeron, A. The profane usage of Hesed. -- Tal (Rosenthal) , A. The meaning of Tirosh. -- Licht, J. Mimesis in the Bible. -- Carny, P. Amos 4, 13- A doxology? . -- Rubinstein, E. Verb substitutes in Biblical Hebrew. “Israel Brodie was born in Newcastle-on-Tyne and educated at Jews' College, London, and at Oxford. From 1923 to 1937 he was senior minister at Melbourne, Australia. He served as a chaplain overseas in both world wars, becoming senior Jewish chaplain in the British Army in 1944. He was involved in two important controversies: one over his ruling (later modified) that the Israel pronunciation of Hebrew should not be used in synagogues and in classrooms; the other when he decided that the liberal theological views of Louis Jacobs disqualified him from being appointed as principal of Jews' College or a minister of the United Synagogue. He was the divisional editor for rabbinical literature in the Encyclopaedia Judaica. ” (EJ, Lipman) Very good condition. (BIBLE-8-9) (ID #21121) $50.00.
22. • (de Vries, Benjamin) Melamed, Ezra Zion. SEFER ZIKARON LE-VINYAMIN DEH-FRIS: KOVETS MEHKARIM SHEL HAVERAV VE-TALMIDAV. Jerusalem: Tel Aviv University Research Authority And Stichting Fronika Sanders Fonds, 1968. Hardcover, Large 8vo. 8, 342 pages. Illustrated with photograph and facsimiles. In Hebrew with English forward. First edition. English title: Benjamin De Vries memorial volume: studies presented by colleagues and pupils. SUBJECT (S): Rabbinical literature; De Vries, Benjamin, 1905-1966. CONTENTS: Mishna and Tosefta in the first section of Eduyot, Shmuel Schmida; Tosefta to the Tractate Tamid, Abraham Goldberg; The antiquity of the Mishna Shekalim 1, 5, Louis Finkelstein; On the Mishna of “The Pious, ” Zeev Falk; The separation of first tithes during the Second Temple Period, Aharon Oppenheimer; From Biblical severity to rabbinic injunction, Yitzhak D. Gilat; Ahare Mot (Leviticus XVI) , A. A. Halevi; Heaven and earth and the four directions, M. B. Lerner; Aspaklaria, Joshua Brand; Euphemisms and textual alterations of expressions in Talmudic literature, E. Z. Melammed; Anti0Semitism in imperial Rome in the light of rabbinic literature, Moshe David Herr; Purpose and intent of rabbi Zerachya Halevi in Sefer Ha-Maor, Benjamin Zeev Benedict; Custom and law in the responsa of Ashkenizic rabbis in the 15th century, Yedidya Dinari; Yannai's Keroba to the section “Return to the land of thy fathers” (Genesis 31, 3) , Zvi Meir Rabinowitz; Articulation in the vowels u, I in Galilean Aramaic and Michnaic Hebrew transcriptions of Biblical Hebrew, Yehezkel Kutscher; Rashi's commentary to scripture and vernacular translations, Menahem Banit; One type of lack of parallelism in scriptural verse, M. Z. Kadarl; On the history of the rabbinate in the Middle Ages, Jacob Katz; Towards identification of the anonymous commentary to Ma'archot Ha'Elohut, Ephraim Gottlieb; Tow words of Mishnaic Hebrew in the Biblical Period, Jacob Turi; Notes on Palestine studies, Shmuel Safrai. “Born in Shiraz, Persia, Melamed [1903-1994] was taken to Palestine by his father, R. R. Melamed, when he was two. He worked at the Ministry of Education (1952–56) , and was appointed professor of Bible at the Hebrew University (1964) and of Talmud at Bar Ilan (1961) and at Tel Aviv (1964) universities. He was elected to the Hebrew Language Academy in 1956 and to the Higher Archaeological Council in 1963. He was awarded the Israel Prize in 1987 for Torah literature and commentary on the sources. Melamed's major works are in the fields of talmudic literature. Because of his involvement with the Persian and other Oriental communities (whom he served as honorary rabbi) and his familiarity with their traditions of custom and language, Melamed served as an important source on such community traditions. ” (EJ, 2007) Jacob Neusner's copy with his stamp. Has faded dust jacket. Very good condition. (BIBLE-7-5) (ID #21091) $100.00.
GRAMMAR & LINGUISTICS
23. • Dalman, Gustaf. GRAMMATIK DES JÜDISCH-PALÄSTINISCHEN ARAMÄISCH: NACH DEN IDIOMEN DES PALÄSTINISCHEN TALMUD UND MIDRASCH, DES ONKELOSTARGUM (COS. SOCINI 84) UND DER JERUSALEMISCHEN TARGUME ZUM PENTATEUCH. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs, 1894. Cloth, 8vo. Xi, 348 pages. In German. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Aramaic language – grammar. BOUND WITH: Dalman, Gustaf. ARAMÄISCHE DIALEKTPROBEN: LESESTÜCKE ZUR GRAMMATIK DES JÜDISCH-PALÄSTINISCHEN ARAMÄISCH ZUMEIST NACH HANDSCHRIFTEN DES BRITISCHEN MUSEUMS, MIT WÖRTERVERZEICHNIS. 1896. Cloth. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs. 8vo. Xii, 56 pages. In German and Aramaic. First edition. SUBJECT(S): Aramaic language – readers. Dalman (1855-1941) was a “German Protestant theologian, philologist, and Palestinologist. In his youth Dalman was closely associated with the Missionary Church Brotherhood at Herrnhut and spent his last days with them. From 1895 he was a professor at the Institutum Judaicum in Leipzig. He was the director of the German Evangelical Institute for Antiquity in Jerusalem from 1902 to 1917 where he contributed a number of important papers and subsequently served as professor and head of the Institute of Palestinology in Greifswald. ”(EJ, Garbell) Ex library. Water stains around edges throughout, pages a little tanned, good condition. (BIBLE-5-14z) (ID #21028) $100.00.
24. • Driver, Godfrey Rolles. SEMITIC WRITING FROM PICTOGRAPH TO ALPHABET. Oxford: Published For The British Academy By Geoffrey Cumberlege, Oxford University Press, 1948. Cloth, 8vo. Xvi, 222 pages. Heavily illustrated. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Semitic languages – alphabet; Alphabet. SERIES: The Schweich lectures of the British Academy,; 1944; Variation: Schweich lectures; 1944. “Driver (1892–1975) , [a] Bible and Semitic scholar, gained knowledge of the Middle East with the British Egyptian Expeditionary Force in 1919... From 1919–28 he taught classics at Oxford and from 1928 lectured there on Hebrew and comparative Semitic philology, becoming professor of Semitic philology and intermittently professor of Hebrew. ” (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Good+ condition. (BIBLE-7-13) (ID #21099) $40.00.
25. • Dukes, Leopold. LITERATURHISTORISCHE MITTHEILUNGEN UEBER DIE ÄLTESTEN HEBRÄISCHEN EXEGETEN: GRAMMATIKER UND LEXICOGRAPHEN. Stuttgart: A. Krabbe, 1844. Quarter leather, 8vo. Viii, 198 pages. In German with Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew language – grammar – history; Hebrew philology. SERIES: Beiträge zur Geschichte der ältesten Auslegung und Spracherklärung des Alten Testamentes; Bd. 2. “Dukes [1810-1891] was born in Pressburg, Hungary. He was a student of R. Moses Sofer and of R. Hayyim Joseph Pollak; the latter introduced him to secular study. An inveterate, though poor, traveler, Dukes visited most of the important libraries in Europe, researching Jewish manuscripts and uncovering many hitherto unknown medieval works. His research covered various aspects of language and literature: aggadic literature, Bible exegesis, medieval Jewish literature, Hebrew grammar and the masoretic text, and talmudic maxims and truisms. Frequently, however, his research was unsystematic and his edited texts in need of correction. ” (EJ, 2007) BOUND WITH: Ewald, Heinrich. UBER DIE ARABISCH GESCHRIEBENEN WERKE JÜDISCHER SPRACHGELEHRTEN: MIT EINER ABHANDLUNG ÜBER DEN GEGENWÄRTIGEN ZUSTAND DER ALTENTESTAMENTLICHEN WISSENSCHAFT. Stuttgart: A. Krabbe, 1844. 8vo. Xxiv, 160 pages. In German with Arabic and Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language – grammar – history. SERIES: Beiträge zur Geschichte der ältesten Auslegung und Spracherklärung des Alten Testamentes; Bd. 1. Ex library. Covers worn, occasional marginalia, good condition. (BIBLE-7-18x) (ID #21105) $145.00.
26. • Ellenbogen, Maximilian. FOREIGN WORDS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT: THEIR ORIGIN AND ETYMOLOGY. London: Luzac, 1962. Cloth, 4to. X, 190 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew language – foreign words and phrases; Bible. O. T. -- language, style. CONTENTS: Materials and products; Manufactured articles; Agriculture and horticulture; Animals; Architecture; Metallurgy; Measures; Royal household and administration; Military equipment; Nautical terms; Titles and ranks; Occupational names; Month names. Ex library. Good+ condition. (BIBLE-7-15) (ID #21101) $35.00.
27. • Ewald, Heinrich. ÜBER DIE ARABISCH GESCHRIEBENEN WERKE JÜDISCHER SPRACHGELEHRTEN: MIT EINER ABHANDLUNG ÜBER DEN GEGENWÄRTIGEN ZUSTAND DER ALTENTESTAMENTLICHEN WISSENSCHAFT. Stuttgart: A. Krabbe, 1844. Quarter leather, 8vo. Xxiv, 160 pages. In German with Arabic and Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew language – grammar – history. SERIES: Beiträge zur Geschichte der ältesten Auslegung und Spracherklärung des Alten Testamentes; Bd. 1. Ewald (1803-1875) was a “Protestant theologian [and] scholar of the Bible, Israelite history, and Semitic languages... He served as professor at Goettingen and Tuebingen. He was twice dismissed from his post – once in 1837 for protesting against the abolition of the Hanoverian constitution by the king, and again in 1867 for refusing to swear allegiance to the king of Prussia. Ewald viewed historical criticism not as a religious threat but as a means of reconstructing the process by which divine providence had chosen to reveal the true faith to humanity. He believed that the stories of the patriarchs could be used to reconstruct ancient Israelite tribal history, but that the patriarchs themselves were "ideal types. " Ewald was more positive in his historical assessment of Moses. As for the Hebrew prophets, it was through them that God gave the most important truths to humanity. Ewald also did research on Hebrew and Arabic grammar and on the medieval works of Hebrew grammar, which were written in Arabic. He is considered the father of the theory of Hebrew syntax. ” (EJ, 2007) BOUND WITH: Dukes, Leopold. LITERATURHISTORISCHE MITTHEILUNGEN UEBER DIE ÄLTESTEN HEBRÄISCHEN EXEGETEN: GRAMMATIKER UND LEXICOGRAPHEN. Stuttgart: A. Krabbe, 1844. 8vo. Viii, 198 pages. In German with Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language – grammar – history; Hebrew philology. SERIES: Beiträge zur Geschichte der ältesten Auslegung und Spracherklärung des Alten Testamentes; Bd. 2. Ex library. Covers worn, occasional marginalia, good condition. (BIBLE-7-18x) (ID #21104) $150.00.
28. • Jacobowitz, J. לשון משותפת: לקט של ערכים הבנויים על האותיות הראשונות של האלפבית העברית LASHON MESHUTEFET: LEKET SHEL `ARAKHIM HA-BENUYIM `AL HA-OTIYOT HA-RISHONOT SHEL HA-ALEFBET HA-`IVRIT. Jerusalem: R. Mas, 1968. Cloth, (FT) 8vo. 214 pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language – history; Hebrew language – root. English title: Monogenesis of language; selected essays based on the first four letters of the Hebrew Alphabet. Has defective dust jacket. Very good condition. (BIBLE-5-20) (ID #21035) $30.00.
29. • Kraft, Charles F. THE STROPHIC STRUCTURE OF HEBREW POETRY: AS ILLUSTRATED IN THE FIRST BOOK OF THE PSALTER. Chicago: University Of Chicago Press, 1938. Cloth, 8vo. Iii, 117 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew language – versification; Bible. O. T. Psalms 1-51 – criticism, interpretation, etc. Ex library. Light wear at corners, good+ condition. (BIBLE-7-10) (ID #21096) $50.00.
30. • Kutscher, Edward Yechezkel; Haya Nathan. TOLDOT HA-ARAMIT. HELEK 1. HA-ARAMIT HA-`ATIKAH, HA-YEUDIT, HA-ARAMIT HA-RISHMIT (LE-HOTSI HA-ARAMIT HA-MIKRAIT) . Jerusalem: Akademon, 1971. Paperback, 8vo. 142 pages. In Hebrew. English title: A history of Aramaic: part I: Old Aramaic, Jaudic, Official Aramaic (Bibleical Aramaic excepted) . SUBJECT(S): Aramaic language – history. “Kutscher [1909-1971] studied in his native Slovakia, in Frankfurt on the Main, and then in Jerusalem. After teaching for some time in schools in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, he was appointed secretary of the Hebrew Language Academy, lecturer in Hebrew at the Hebrew University, and professor. From 1958 he also lectured at Bar-Ilan University. Kutscher's published work includes a study of the linguistic background of the Dead Sea Isaiah Scroll; Millim ve-Toledoteihen, with a summary in English; and Language of the "Genesis Apocryphon. " He was editor of Leshonenu (the organ of the Hebrew Language Academy) from 1965. Kutscher also translated into Hebrew the German text of a number of art books, such as J. Bab's work on Rembrandt, and works by others on V. Van Gogh, and A. Rodin. A collection of Kutscher's research work in Hebrew and Aramaic edited by Ze'ev Ben Hayyim, Aharon Dotan, and Gad Ben Ami Zarfaty, was published posthumously in 1977.” (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Price sticker and moisture spot of cover, internally clean, good+ condition. (BIBLE-7-14) (ID #21100) $100.00.
31. • Leslau, Wolf. ETHIOPIC AND SOUTH ARABIC CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE HEBREW LEXICON. Berkeley, University Of California Press,, 1958. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 76 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S) Hebrew language -- Foreign elements -- Ethiopic. Hebrew language -- Foreign elements -- Arabic. Oudhebreeuws. Woordenboeken. Ethiopisch. Arabisch. Etymologie. Leslau, (1906– ) , was a U. S. Semitics scholar and a philologist. Leslau was born in Krzepice, Poland. He taught at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes in Paris and the Ecole des Langues Orientales. In 1942 he emigrated to the U. S. He taught at several institutions before joining the faculty of the University of California in Los Angeles in 1955, where he continued teaching Hebrew and Semitic languages. Leslau was a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, American Academy of Jewish Research, and other scholarly societies. (EJ, Fischel) In good condition. (BIBLE6-4) (ID #21045) $30.00.
32. • Magonet, Jonathan. FORM AND MEANING: STUDIES IN LITERARY TECHNIQUES IN THE BOOK OF JONAH. Bern L Herbert Lang, 1976. Paperback, 8vo. 169 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Literary form – history – to 2500; Bible O. T. Jonah – criticism, interpretation, etc. CONTENTS: Analysis of language; Analysis of the “psalm”; Analysis of structure; Analysis of quotations; Analysis of themes. SERIES: Beiträge zur biblischen Exegese und Theologie; Bd. 2. Ex library. Very good condition. (BIBLE-7-9) (ID #21095) $35.00.
33. • Marcus, Moses Isaac. A PRACTICAL GRAMMAR OF THE BABYLONIAN TALMUD: A SELECTION OF ARAMAIC TEXTS VOCALIZED AND PROVIDED WITH A GRAMMATICALLY ANALYZED VOCABULARY. New York: Alumni Association Of The Jewish Institute Of Religion, 1941. Paper wrappers, 8vo. Ix, 102 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Aramaic language – texts; Aramaic language – glossaries, vocabularies, etc; Aramaic language – grammar. Cover has light creases and chips at corner, pages a little tanned, good condition. (BIBLE-9-12) (ID #21148) $65.00.
34. • Naor, Menahem. A PRACTICAL TEXTBOOK OF THE HEBREW LANGUAGE: FOR TEACHING AND SELF INSTRUCTION. Jerusalem: Divan Book And Art Shop, 1933. Cloth, 8vo. 100, 127 pages. In English and Hebrew. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew language – grammar; Hebrew language – readers. Ex library. Spine repaired, cover worn at edges, good condition. (BIBLE-7-23) (ID #21110) $30.00.
35. • Naor, Menahem. HEBREW LANGUAGE AND GRAMMAR: A PRACTICAL TEXTBOOK. Jerusalem: Rubin Mass, 1942. Cloth, 8vo. 98, 94 pages. In English and Hebrew. Second edition, revised throughout. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew language – grammar; Hebrew language – readers. OCLC lists 10 copies worldwide. Ex library. Spine faded, good condition. (BIBLE-7-16) (ID #21102) $30.00.
36. • Reider, Joseph. PROLEGOMENA TO A GREEK-HEBREW & HEBREW-GREEK INDEX TO AQUILA. Philadelphia: Printed At The Oxford University Pres By Frederick Hall, 1916. Cloth, 8vo. 160 pages. SUBJECT (S): Greek language, Biblical – glossaries, vocabularies, etc; Hebrew language – glossaries, vocabularies, etc; Aquila, of Pontus; Bible. O. T. Greek – versions – Aquila. CONTENTS: Aquila's manner of translation; Aquila's knowledge of the Hebrew grammar and lexicon; Aquila's exegesis; The Hebrew text underlying Aquila's version; Aquila's vocabulary; Aquila remains in Syriac and Latin; Aquila readings in Talmud and Midrash; 3 Kings 14. 1-20. Front hinge starting, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-5-12) (ID #21026) $35.00.
37. • Renan, Ernest. HISTOIRE GENERALE ET SYSTEME COMPARE DES LANGUES SEMITIQUES. Paris: Calmann-Levy, 1920. Cloth, 8vo. 527 pages. In French. “Septieme edition. ” SUBJECT (S): Semitic languages – history. OCLC lists 15 copies worldwide. Renan (1823-1892) was a French philosopher, and though he prepared to enter the Catholic preisthood, he abandoned the oppressive religion and made his own intellectual path. Histoire generale et systeme compare des langues semitiques won him the Prix Volney in 1847. He worked at the Bibliothèque Nationale, published many works on the history of Judaism and Christianity, went on an archaeological mission to the Middle East, and was appointed to the Collège de France in 1862.(EJ, Cohen-Yashar) Edgeworn, bumped corners, owner's name on title page, good condition. (BIBLE-5-3) (ID #21017) $55.00.
38. • Sivan, Reuven. צורות ומגמות בחידושי הלשון בעברית בתקופת תחייתה: מבוא כללי וחלק ראשון: הפועל TSUROT U-MEGAMOT BE-HIDUSHE HA-LASHON BE-`IVRIT BI-TEKUFAT TEHIYATAH: MAVO KELALI VE-HELEK RISHON: HA-PO`AL. Jerusalem: Hebrew University, 1964. Paperback, (FT) 8vo. 331, ix pages. In Hebrew with English abstract. SUBJECT(S): Hebrew language -- verb. OCLC lists 18 copies worldwide. English title: Patterns and trends of linguistic innovations in modern Hebrew. General introduction and part 1: The verb. Good condition. (BIBLE-5-25) (ID #21040) $40.00.
39. • Weingreen, Jacob. A PRACTICAL GRAMMAR FOR CLASSICAL HEBREW. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Cloth, 8vo. 316 pages. Second edition. SUBJECT (S): Hebrew language – grammar. “Born in Manchester, [Weingreen (1908-1995) ] graduated from Trinity College, Dublin, where he became professor of Hebrew in 1939 and served until his retirement in 1978. During the period immediately following World War II, he served as director of education in the Displaced Persons' Camp in Bergen-Belsen. Weingreen's best-known publication, A Practical Grammar for Classical Hebrew, was published in 1939 and remained in general use 50 years later... His writings, as well as his teaching, were distinguished by their lucidity. He received many honors and was president of the Society for Old Testament Studies, Great Britain and Ireland, of the British Association of Jewish Studies, and governor of the Irish Times Trust from 1974. An abiding interest in archeology led to his foundation of what, on his retirement, was named the Weingreen Museum of Biblical Antiquities in Trinity College, Dublin. His contention that the Book of Deuteronomy is not, as widely believed, one of the main sources of the Pentateuch, because it bears the characteristic of a mishnah, caused a stir among biblical scholars. ” (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Covers worn around edges, good condition. (BIBLE-7-2) (ID #21088) $30.00.
40. • Wigram, George V. THE HEBRAISTS' VADE MECUM: A FIRST ATTEMPT AT A COMPLETE VERBAL INDEX TO THE CONTENTS OF THE HEBREW AND CHALDEE SCRIPTURES, ARRANGED ACCORDING TO GRAMMAR: --THE OCCURRENCES IN FULL. London: Groombridge,, 1867. Cloth, 8vo. 582, 43,  pages. In Multiple languages SUBJECT (S) Descriptor: Hebrew language -- Dictionaries -- English. Aramaic language -- Dictionaries -- English. Names, Hebrew. Names, Aramaic. Some water marks, in good condition. (BIBLE6-6) (ID #21047) $30.00.
HEBREW BIBLE/OLD TESTAMENT
41. • Adar, Zvi. HUMANISTIC VALUES IN THE BIBLE. New York: Reconstructionist Press, 1967. Cloth, 8vo. 429 pages. First English edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. -- study and teaching. CONTENTS: Trends and aims; The Biblical narrative; Prophecy; The law; Poetry; The wisdom literature; Teaching the bible: a summary. Adar (1917–1991) was an Israel educator. “He interested himself in the speculative aspects involved with Jewish identity in the past and its meaning in the present, transmitting his thoughts to the younger generation through the medium of education. He wrote extensively, his most important work being Ha-Arakhim ha-Hinnukhiyyim shel ha-Tanakh (1954; Humanistic Values in the Bible, 1968) . In this work Adar attempted to use literary analysis to reveal the educational values in the biblical narrative. As the Bible was one of the main subjects of instruction in the Israel educational system Adar tried to show how the Bible could be used as a means for character education” (staff, EJ) . Ex library, otherwise good+ condition. (BIBLE-9-8) (ID #21144) $30.00.
42. • Another copy. Ex library. A little worn, with two inch long tear on back strip, good condition. (BIBLE-9-14) (ID #21150) $30.00.
43. • Adar, Zvi. THE BIBLICAL NARRATIVE. Jerusalem: Dept. Of Education And Culture, World Zionist Organization, 1959. Hardcover, 12mo. 280 pages. First English edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible as literature; Bible. O. T. -- language, style. CONTENTS: The isolated tale; The story cycle; The long story; The narrative historical book; The totality of narrative books. Adar (1917–1991) was an Israel educator. “He interested himself in the speculative aspects involved with Jewish identity in the past and its meaning in the present, transmitting his thoughts to the younger generation through the medium of education. He wrote extensively, his most important work being Ha-Arakhim ha-Hinnukhiyyim shel ha-Tanakh (1954; Humanistic Values in the Bible, 1968) . In this work Adar attempted to use literary analysis to reveal the educational values in the biblical narrative. As the Bible was one of the main subjects of instruction in the Israel educational system Adar tried to show how the Bible could be used as a means for character education” (staff, EJ) . Ex library. Starting to tan, top corner bumped, good condition. (BIBLE-9-6) (ID #21142) $30.00.
44. • Amar, Zohar. הארבה במסורת ישראל HA-ARBEH BE-MASORET YISRAEL. Ramat-Gan: Hotsaat Universitat Bar-Ilan,, 2004. Hardback, (FT) 8vo. 197 pages.: ill. (some color) , map. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- Dietary laws. Locusts -- Religious aspects -- Judaism. Grasshoppers -- Religious aspects -- Judaism. In like new condition (Bible6-18) (ID #21083) $40.00.
45. • Amar, Zohar. הארבה במסורת ישראל HA-ARBEH BE-MASORET YISRAEL. Ramat-Gan: Hotsaat Universitat Bar-Ilan,, 2004. Hardback, (FT) 8vo. 197 pages.: ill. (some color) , map. SUBJECT(S): Jews -- Dietary laws. Locusts -- Religious aspects -- Judaism. Grasshoppers -- Religious aspects -- Judaism. In like new condition (Bible6-18) (ID #21061) $40.00.
46. • Andreasen, Niels-Erik A. THE OLD TESTAMENT SABBATH: A TRADITION-HISTORICAL INVESTIGATION. Missoula, Mont.: Published By Society Of Biblical Literature For The Form Criticism Seminar, 1972. Paperback, 8vo. Xii, 301 pages. SUBJECT (S): Sabbath – Biblical teaching; Bible. O. T. -- criticism, interpretation, etc. SERIES: Dissertation series, no. 7; Variation: Dissertation series (Society of Biblical Literature); no. 7. Pencil underlining and marginalia throughout, good condition. (BIBLE-8-2) (ID #21114) $30.00.
47. • Ben Joseph, Sa'adia; Yosef Kafah. איוב עם תרגום ופירוש הגאון רבנו סעדיה בן יוסף פיומי,וחלק הדקדוק למהרי"ץ. תרגם לעברית, באר והכין יוסף בכה"ר דוד קאפח יוצא לאור פעם ראשונה על-פי כתב-יד יחיד בעולם IYOV: `IM TARGUM U-FERUSH SE`ADYAH BEN YOSEF FIYUMI ... Jerusalem: Ha-Va`ad Le-Hotsaat Sifre Rasag, 1973. Cloth, (FT) 8vo. 247 pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. Job – commentaries. OCLC lists 22 copies worldwide. Shalom Spiegel's bookplate. Good+ condition. (BIBLE-10-8) (ID #21160) $50.00.
48. • Bewer, Julius A. THE LITERATURE OF THE OLD TESTAMENT IN ITS HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT. New York: Columbia University Press, 1924. Cloth, 8vo. Xiv, 452 pages. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. -- introductions. SERIES: Records of civilization: sources and studies,; [no. 5]. Ex library. Front hinge starting, spots of wear on cover edges, pages a little tanned, good condition. (BIBLE-10-2) (ID #21154) $30.00.
49. • Bewer, Julius A. THE LITERATURE OF THE OLD TESTAMENT IN ITS HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT. New York: Columbia University Press, 1926. Cloth, 8vo. Xiv, 452 pages. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. -- introductions. SERIES: Records of civilization: sources and studies,; [no. 5]. Spots of wear on cover edges, owner's name on front flyleaf, pages a little tanned, good condition. (BIBLE-10-3) (ID #21155) $30.00.
50. • Blank, Sheldon H. JEREMIAH: MAN AND PROPHET. Cincinnati: Hebrew Union College, 1961. Cloth, 8vo. 260 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jeremiah (Biblical prophet) . CONTENTS: The life of a prophet; Documents of self-revelation; What Jeremiah said. “Blank was ordained at Hebrew Union College, Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1923. From 1926 he taught Bible at the Hebrew Union College. Blank published numerous studies on many aspects of biblical scholarship, dealing with questions of the text and of social and political history. He made a special contribution by his insights into the religious experience of biblical personalities, especially the prophets, and by his exposition of their religious ideas. These qualities characterize his books [such as] Jeremiah: Man and Prophet. In [studies like this] he strictly followed the canons of critical scholarship. Elsewhere, however, he sought to reinterpret biblical thoughts in terms of the present day. (Bamberger, EJ) Ex library. A little worn, good condition. (BIBLE-9-4) xxx (ID #21140) $30.00.
51. • Braude, William G. THE MIDRASH ON PSALMS, VOLUME 1. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1959. Cloth, 8vo. Xxxvi, 563 pages. Inscribed by author. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Psalms – commentaries. SERIES: Yale Judaica series,; v. 13. Braude (1907-1988) was born into a rabbinic family in Lithuania; they moved to the United States in 1920, living first in New York, then in Denver, and then in Ohio. He graduated from the University of Cincinnati in 1929, and was ordained at Hebrew Union College in 1931. He became rabbi at temple Beth El in Providence, Rhode Island a year later. While living in Providence, Braude earned a Ph. D at Brown, later joining the faculty there. He later taught at Yale, the hebrew University in Jerusalem, and Leo Baeck College. A Reform rabbi, Braude was at the right-most end of the reform spectrum, arguing for the return of traditional practices, including head coverings at services, dietary laws. In 1965, he joined Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. At a civil rights march in Montgomery, Alabama. (EJ, 2007) Inscribed by author. Ex library. Good condition. (BIBLE-10-1) (ID #21153) $45.00.
52. • Breuer, Edward. THE LIMITS OF ENLIGHTENMENT: JEWS, GERMANS, AND THE EIGHTEENTH-CENTURY STUDY OF SCRIPTURE (HARVARD JUDAIC MONOGRAPHS; 7). Cambridge, Mass, Harvard Univ Pr, 1996. Paperback, 332 pages. ISBN 0-674-53427-1Religion & Spirituality: Judaism: History of Religion Includes bibliographical references and index. Browse the Table of Contents , Index, and other parts of this book on Amazon (ID #11095) $15.00.
53. • Brock, S. P; J. -C. Picard. TESTAMENTUM IOBI. APOCALYPSIS BARUCHI GRAECE. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1967. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 100 pages. In English and Greek. SUBJECT (S): Greek language. OCLC lists 4 copies worldwide (Notre Dame, St. Mary's Seminary, Rutgers, Colegio de Mexico) . SERIES: Pseudepigrapha Veteris Testamenti Graece; 2. Covers rubbed, very good condition. (BIBLE-5-5) (ID #21019) $45.00.
54. • Budick, Geoffrey H; Sanford Budick. MIDRASH AND LITERATURE. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1986. Cloth, 8vo. Xvii, 412 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Midrash – history and criticism. CONTENTS: truggle for the text / Geoffrey H. Hartman -- Inner biblical exegesis: types and strategies of interpretation in ancient Israel / Michael Fishbane -- Nature of the Aggadah / Joseph Heinemann -- Freedom and restraint of Haggadah / Judah Goldin -- Two introductions to Midrash / James L. Kugel -- Midrash and the l Plain sense of things / Frank Kermode -- Milton and the scene of interpretation: from typology toward Midrash / Sanford Budick -- Hermeneutic quest in Robinson Crusoe / Harold Fisch -- Romanticism and the internalization of scripture / Joshua Wilner -- Model of Midrash and Borges's interpretative tales and essays / Myrna Solotorevsky -- Kafka's parables / Jill Robbins -- Midrash and narrative: Agnon's "Agunot" / Gershon Shake -- Shibboleth / Jacques Derrida -- The key / Edmond Jabes. ISBN: 0300034539. Ex library, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-8-17) (ID #21129) $30.00.
55. • Bunte, Wolfgang. KELIM (GEFÄSSE): TEXT, UBERSETZUNG UND ERKLÄRUNG NEBST EINEM TEXTKRITISCHEN ANHANG. Berlin: Walter De Gruyter, 1972. Paperback, 8vo. 555 pages. In German. SUBJECT (S): . Series: Die Mischna; Seder VI. OCLC lists 12 copies worldwide. ISBN: 3110024632. Jacob Neusner's copy with his stamp. Cocked, good condition. (BIBLE-7-11) (ID #21097) $150.00.
56. • Conant, Thomas J. THE PSALMS: THE COMMON VERSION REVISED FOR THE AMERICAN BIBLE UNION, WITH AN INTRODUCTION AND OCCASIONAL NOTES. New York: American Bible Union, 1869. Cloth, 8vo. Xx, 57 pages. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Psalms – English. OCLC lists no copies of this edition worldwide. All edges gilt. Ex library. Water stains throughout, extensive water damage to covers, text is complete and readable, fair condition. (BIBLE-8-5) (ID #21117) $75.00.
57. • Dancy, John Christopher. COMMENTATRY ON I MACABEES. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1954. Cloth, 8vo. Vii, 206 pages. Maps. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Apocrypha Maccabees, 1st – commentaries. CONTENTS: 1 Maccabees; 2 Maccabees; Other historical sources; The historical background; Bibliography; Commentary. Ex library. Very good condition. (BIBLE-7-7) (ID #21093) $30.00.
58. • Darmesteter, Arsene; Solomon Ben Isaac; Louis Brandin; Julien Weill. LES GLOSES FRANÇAISES DE RASCHI DANS LA BIBLE. Paris: Durlacher, 1909. Cloth, 8vo. 147 pages. In French. SUBJECT (S): French language – Old French – glossaries, vocabularies, etc; Bible. O. T. -- commentaries; Bible. O. T. -- glossaries, vocabularies, etc. OCLC lists 19 copies worldwide. Darmesteter (1846-1888) was a French philologist, who taught at the Ecole de Hautes Etudes, the Sorbonne, and the Ecole Rabbinique. “He soon concentrated on the French words used by medieval Bible and Talmud commentators, Rashi in particular... His most important work in this field is the dictionary of Rashi's la'azim in the Bible (Les gloses franLaises de Rashi dans la Bible, 1909) , and in his Talmud commentary Les gloses franLaises dans les commentaires talmudiques de Rashi (1929) . ”(EJ) Ex library. Water stains around edges throughout, pages tanned, good- condition. (BIBLE-5-11) (ID #21025) $100.00.
59. • Eerdmans, Benardus Dirks. THE HEBREW BOOK OF PSALMS. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1947. Hardcover, Large 8vo. Viii, 613 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Psalms – commentaries. CONTENTS: The so-called Hymnbook of the second temple; Classes of psalms (Gattungsforschung); Metric system; Collection of the psalms; Established religion (the ennemies[sic] in the psalms); Origin and date of psalms; The singers; Titles and technical terms; Lammenazzeah 'al hassheminith; 'al 'Alamoth and other terms; Selah; Pss. I-CL; Indices. SERIES: Oudtestamentische studiën,; d. 4. Eerdmans (1865-1948) was a “Dutch Protestant Bible scholar. He was privatdocent of Semitic languages from 1896 to 1898 and professor of Bible from 1898 in Leiden. His Alttestamentliche Studien, a collection of writings on the composition of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, and the early history of Israel, are uniform in their complete rejection of the starting points of modern Pentateuchal criticism. Unlike the advocates of the Documentary Hypothesis, Eerdmans posits a fragmentary-supplementary hypothesis that views J, E, and P as redactors and supplementers, rather than composers. According to Eerdmans, material found particularly in Genesis belongs to various stages of religious development of which the earliest is polytheistic and the latest monotheistic, the earlier material referring to God by the plural form Elohim and the later as Yahweh. He argued for the cultural historicity of the patriarchs and for the advanced state of ritual in the Mosaic period. He maintained that most of the legal codes of Leviticus were Mosaic, thus rejecting the commonly accepted J. Wellhausen–K. H. Graf hypothesis. He was one of the earliest scholars who advanced an Exilic date for sections of the book of Daniel. ” (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Pages starting to tan, wear to covers, good condition. (BIBLE-7-8) (ID #21094) $70.00.
60. • Epshtain, Mosheh Yehiel. |ספר אש דת : על אהבת ה׳, אהבת התורה ואהבת ישראל... מסודר, מפורש ומבואר בהסבר נפלא בסגנון צח ורגיש עפ״י פרקים, מאמרים, אותיות וסעיפים SEFER ESH DAT: `AL AHAVAT ADONAI, AHAVAT HA-TORAH, VE-AHAVAT YISRAEL. VOLUME 4 ONLY. New York: Ezras Torah, 1950. Cloth, (FT) 8vo. In Hebrew. Volume four (of ten) only. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. -- criticism, interpretation, etc. OCLC lists 12 copies worldwide. Ex library. Good+ condition. (BIBLE-8-3) (ID #21115) $30.00.
61. • Ettelson, Harry W. THE INTEGRITY OF I MACCABEES. New Haven, Conn, Connecticut Academy Of Arts And Sciences, 1925. Cloth, 8vo. 249-384 pages. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Apocrypha. Maccabees, 1st. SERIES: Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences,; v. 27. CONTENTS: Brief for the addendum theory; The positive evidence against the addendum theory; the fabrication-interpolation theory. Ettelson (1883-1975) was born in Mobile, Alabama and attended the University of Cincinnati, Hebrew Union College, where he was ordained in 1904, the University of Chicago, and Yale. He was a Navy chaplain in WWI, and rabbi in Hartford, CT, Philadelphia, and Memphis. In 1932, he debated Clarence Darrow on the necessity of religion. (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Hinges repaired, dent is cover fore edge, good condition. (BIBLE-8-11) (ID #21123) $30.00.
62. • Feliks, Yehuda. `OLAM HA-TSOMEAH HA-MIKRAI: TEURAM VE-ZIHUYAM SHEL HA-TSEMAHIM SHE-NIZKERU BA-TANAKH. Tel Aviv: Masadah, 1957. Hardcover, 8vo. 318 pages. Illustrated. First edition. In Hebrew, with Latin plant names. English title: Plant world of the Bible. SUBJECT (S): Plants in the Bible; Nature in the Bible. OCLC lists 12 copies worldwide. Has dust jacket. Very good condition. (BIBLE-7-3) (ID #21089) $75.00.
63. • Ginsburg, Christian D. INTRODUCTION TO THE MASSORETICO-CRITICAL EDITION OF THE HEBREW BIBLE,. London, Trinitarian Bible Society,, 1897. Cloth, 4to. 2 p. L, [iii]-xii, 1028 p. Facsims, fold out maps. Tables. In English. SUBJECT (S) Oude Testament. Masora. Tekstoverlevering. Bible. O. T. Hebrew. 1894. Page edges chipping, in very good condition. (BIBLE6-5) (ID #21046) $65.00.
64. • Glueck, Nelson; Alfred Gottschalk; Gerald A Larue; Elias L. Epstein. HESED IN THE BIBLE. Cincinnati: Hebrew Union College, 1967. Cloth, 8vo. Ix, 107 pages. First English edition. SUBJECT (S): Hesed (the Hebrew word); Bible. O>T. -- theology. CONTENTS: Hesed as human conduct—its secular meaning; Hesed as human conduct—its religious meaning; Hesed as divine conduct. Ex library, otherwise good+ condition. (BIBLE-9-5) xxx (ID #21141) $30.00.
65. • Goldin, Judah; Barry L. Eichler; Jeffrey H. Tigay. STUDIES IN MIDRASH AND RELATED LITERATURE. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 1988. Cloth, 8vo. Xx, 419 pages. Frontispiece photograph. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Midrash – history and criticism; Aggadah – history and criticism; Judaism – essence, genius, nature. SERIES: JPS scholar of distinction series. ISBN: 0827602774. “Goldin [1914-1998] was born in New York City. He received his B. S. S. From the City College of New York and his B. H. L. From the Seminary College of Jewish Studies at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. He received his M. A. In English literature from Columbia University and an M. H. L. And D. H. L. From the Jewish Theological Seminary. Ordained by the JTS in 1939, he was also dean and professor of aggadah... He held faculty positions at Duke University and the University of Iowa before moving on in 1958 to a 15-year stint at Yale University, teaching classical Judaica. Then, for an even longer period, he was professor of post-biblical Hebrew literature at the University of Pennsylvania... In 1988 the Jewish Publication Society inaugurated its Scholars of Distinction series with Goldin's book of collected essays, Judah Goldin: Studies in Midrash and Related Literature. In 1996 he received the National Foundation for Jewish Culture's Jewish Cultural Achievement Award for Textual Scholarship. ” (EJ, 2007) Ex library, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-8-18) (ID #21130) $30.00.
66. • Gordis, Robert. POETS, PROPHETS, AND SAGES: ESSAYS IN BIBLICAL INTERPRETATION. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1971. Cloth, 8vo. X, 436 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. ISBN: 0253166551. CONTENTS: The Bible: its origin, growth, and meaning. --Primitive democracy in ancient Israel. --The structure of Biblical poetry. --The heptad as an element of Biblical and rabbinic style. --Quotations in Biblical, oriental, and rabbinic literature. --The social background of wisdom literature. --The knowledge of good and evil in the Old Testament and the Dead Sea scrolls. --The composition and structure of Amos. --Hosea's marriage and message. --Isaiah: prophet, thinker, world statesman. --Micah's vision of the end-time. --All men's book: the book of Job. --The temptation of Job. --The wisdom of Koheleth. --The Song of songs. Gordis (1908–1992) was born in New York City, and ordained at the Jewish Theological Seminary in 1932. He served as rabbi of Temple Beth El of Rockaway Park, N. Y, from 1931 until his retirement in 1968, and while there established the first Conservative day school in the United States. A professor of Bible at the Seminary from 1940, Gordis also taught at Columbia University (1948–57) , Union Theological Seminary (1960) , and Temple University. He served as editor of the periodical Judaism, president of the Rabbinical Assembly and of the Synagogue Council of America, and consultant to the Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions. Within the Conservative movement he was a spokesman for the centrist position, advocating change within the framework of the law. He has also written on the relationship of Judaism to contemporary problems, on the pertinent insights of the Jewish tradition to the issues facing Western civilization, and on the status of Judaism in the modern age. (Robinson, EJ) Ex library. Bumped corners, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-5-2) (ID #21016) $30.00.
67. • Gordis, Robert. THE BIBLICAL TEXT IN THE MAKING: A STUDY OF THE KETHIB-QERE. Philadelphia: Dropsie College, 1937. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 219 pages. SUBJECT (S): Masorah; Bible. O. T. -- criticism, textual. Gordis (1908-1992) , born in New York City was ordained at the Jewish Theological Seminary in 1932. “He served as rabbi of Temple Beth El of Rockaway Park, N. Y...and while there established the first Conservative day school in the United States. A professor of Bible at the Seminary from 1940, [he] also taught at Columbia University, Union Theological Seminary , and Temple University. He served as editor of the periodical Judaism, president of the Rabbinical Assembly and of the Synagogue Council of America, and consultant to the Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions. Within the Conservative movement he was a spokesman for the centrist position, advocating change within the framework of the law.”(Robinson, EJ) Ex library. Small marks and chips to covers, good condition. (BIBLE-10-4) (ID #21156) $75.00.
68. • Harrelson, Walter J. FROM FERTILITY CULT TO WORSHIP. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, 1969. Cloth, 8vo. Xv, 171 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Worship in the Bible; Judaism – history. CONTENTS: The Israelite worldview; The ordering of time and space; The Israelite cultus; The new year and covenant renewal; Worship and creation; Worship and the history of salvation; Worship and Torah; Worship and the end. Ex library, otherwise good condition. (BIBLE-9-7) (ID #21143) $30.00.
69. • Hedge, Frederic Henry. THE PRIMEVAL WORLD OF HEBREW TRADITION. Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1872. Cloth, 12mo. 283 pages. Second edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Genesis – criticism, interpretation, ect. OCLC lists 16 copies worldwide. CONTENTS: The world a divine creation; Man in the image of God; Man in Paradise; The brute creation; Paradise lost; Cain, or property and strife as agents of civilization; Nine hundred and sixty-nine years?; The failure of primeval society; The deluge; The great dispersion; Jehovah and Abraham – a Hebrew idyl; The heritage of the inner life. Ex library. Covers a little worn, part of front flyleaf cut out, good condition. (BIBLE-7-21) (ID #21108) $30.00.
70. • Hoffmann, David. DAS BUCH LEVITICUS. VOLUME 1, LEV. I-XVII. Berlin: M. Poppelauer, 1905. Cloth, 8vo. Viii, 478 pages. In German. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Leviticus – commentaries. Ex library, library binding, good condition. (BIBLE-5-9) (ID #21023) $30.00.
71. • Ibn Ezra, Abraham Ben Meir; Wilhelm Bacher. HILUFE NUSHAOT LE-FERUSH HA-R.A.B.`E. `AL HA-TORAH: MI-KETAV YAD YASHAN ASHER BE-KANTABRIGYA. Strassburg: Karl J. Trubner, 1894. Cloth, 8vo. Iv, 108 pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Pentateuch. OCLC lists 1 copy worldwide (Bayerische Staatsbibliothek) . Ibn Ezra (1089-1164) was a Spanish scholar. He traveled extensively, to the countries in North Africa, to Rome, and through Europe as far as Northern France. He sought acquaintance with scholars wherever he traveled, forming a particular friendship with Judah Halevi. In some locations he found cold comfort, such as in Rome: his poem “Nedod Hesir Oni” expresses Rome's unwelcome to his. In others, such as in France, he was welcomed, and his scholarly impact was felt for centuries thereafter. Most of his writing was a direct result of the wandering life; while traveling he wrote poetry, commentaries on the bible, grammars, scientific works, and translations. (Heller-Wilensky, EJ) Ex library. Boards worn, some pages loose and wrinkled from water, good- condition. Scarce. (SPEC-2-24) (ID #20134) $200.00.
73. • Kahana, Hanna. תרגום השבעים למגילת אסתר: השוואה בין התרגום לנוסח העברי וקומנטאר רצוף TARGUM HA-SHIV`IM LI-MEGILAT ESTER: HASHVAAH BEN HA-TARGUM LA-NUSAH HA-`IVRI VE-KOMENTAR RATSUF. Israel: H. Mo. L, 2000. Paper Wrappers, (FT) 4to. 5, 319, vii pages. In Hebrew. Abstract and table of contents also in English. Dissertation: Thesis (Ph. D. ) --Universitat Bar-Ilan, Ramat-Gan, 2000. SUBJECT(S) Bible. O. T. Esther. Greek -- Versions -- Septuagint. Bible. O. T. Esther -- Language, style. Bible. O. T. Esther -- Comparative studies. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. (Bible6-21) (ID #21064) $50.00.
74. • Kahane, P. P; Muzeon Yisrael. התנ''ך בארכיאולוגיה
HA-TANAKH BA-ARKHE'OLOGYAH. THE BIBLE IN ARCHAEOLOGY. LA BIBLE DANS L'ARCHÉOLOGIE: [CATALOGUE OF AN EXHIBITION,] JERUSALEM, THE ISRAEL MUSEUM, 11 V-28 VI 65. Jerusalem: The Museum, 1965. Paperback, 8vo. 90 pages. Well illustrated. In English, French, and Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Art, ancient – Israel; Bible – antiquities. OCLC lists 14 copies worldwide. SERIES: Catalogue [of the Israel Museum]; no 6; Catalogue; no. 6. Kahane (1904-1974) “[was an Israeli] curator of archeological museums. Born in Berlin, Kahane settled in Erez Israel in 1938 and was director of the museum section of the Israel Department of Antiquities. From 1965 to 1969 he was chief curator of the Samuel Bronfman Biblical and Archaeological Museum at the Israel Museum, Jerusalem. He also organized several archaeological museums in Israel. His special field of study was ancient pottery and glass. He served as the Encyclopaedia Judaica departmental editor for Jews in archaeology. ”(EJ) Ex library, some pages loose, good condition.
(BIBLE-5-8/8-7) (ID #21022/21119) $30.00.
75. • Kahn, Zadoc. LA BIBLE DE LA JEUNESSE. TOME 1 (PENTAEUQUE - PREMIERS PROPHETES) ONLY. Paris: Durlacher, 1899. 8vo. 404 pages. Volume one (of two) only. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. French. OCLC lists 13 copies worldwide. Kahn (1839-1905) was the last official chief rabbi of France, from 1889. He was educated att he yeshiva in Strasbourg and at the Ecole Rabbinique in Metz, where he also taught. Kahn never exerted great power, due to conflict with other leaders, the annexing of Alsace-Lorraine by Germany, and the influence of the Alliance Israelite Universelle over the migration of Eastern European Jews. Kahn was, however, head of Hibbat Zion in France and immersed himself in the practical issues surrounding settlement in Palestine. Against his Zionist tendencies, though, he felt that French Jews must be, first and foremost, French citizens. During the Dreyfus Affair, he wished to build a strong coalition in Dreyfus's defense, but was unable to persuade the Jewish leaders in France to do so. As a writer, Kahn edited a French translation of the Bible, helped Singer with the Jewish Encyclopaedia, and published a few sermons. (EJ) Ex library. Covers missing, good condition. We can have this expertly rebound for you. (SPEC-2-14) (ID #20123) $100.00.
76. • Kasher, Menahem. ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIBLICAL INTERPRETATION: A MILLENNIAL ANTHOLOGY. VOLUMES 1 & 2. (ONLY, OF 9) . New York: American Biblical Encyclopedia Society, 1955. Cloth, 4to. Xxi, 262, xiv, 272 pages. Included volumes one and two (of nine) only. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. Pentateuch – commentaries – encyclopedias. Kasher (1895-1983) was born in Warsaw, and studied with the greatest Polish rabbis of his time. He was ordained in 1915 by Meir Dan Plotzki an demigrated to Palestine in 1925. Kasher earned his reputation through literary work, primarily the writing of encyclopedias and anthologies. In 1950 Kasher founded, in Jerusalem and in New York, the Torah Shelemah Institute for research and publication, and he was awarded the Isreal Prize in 1962. (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Corners bumped, good condition. Price is for both vols. (BIBLE-9-10) (ID #21146) $80.00.
77. • Kasher, Menahem. ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIBLICAL INTERPRETATION: A MILLENNIAL ANTHOLOGY. VOLUME 1. ONLY, OF 9. New York: American Biblical Encyclopedia Society, 1955. Cloth, 4to. Xxi, 262 pages. Volume one (of nine) only. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. Pentateuch – commentaries – encyclopedias. Kasher (1895-1983) was born in Warsaw, and studied with the greatest Polish rabbis of his time. He was ordained in 1915 by Meir Dan Plotzki an demigrated to Palestine in 1925. Kasher earned his reputation through literary work, primarily the writing of encyclopedias and anthologies. In 1950 Kasher founded, in Jerusalem and in New York, the Torah Shelemah Institute for research and publication, and he was awarded the Isreal Prize in 1962. (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Corners worn, inch-long tear at bottom of back strip, good condition. (BIBLE-9-11) (ID #21147) $30.00.
78. • Kaufmann, Yehezkel. THE BIBLICAL ACCOUNT OF THE CONQUEST OF PALESTINE. Jerusalem: Magnes Press, Hebrew University, 1953. Hardback, 8vo. Vi, 98 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Joshua – criticism, interpretation, etc. Kaufmann (1889-1963) was Ukraine-born scholar and essayist, who received a Ph. D. From the University of Berne in 1918, and moved to Erez Israel in 1928. He was a professor at the Hebrew University from 1949 until the end of his life. “Kaufmann's main contribution to the study of biblical religion is his thesis that Israel's monotheism was not a gradual development away from paganism but an entirely new beginning, sui generis, in religious history. ”(Green, EJ) Has jacket. Water stain on front of jacket, front cover, and first few pages, otherwise good condition. (BIBLE-5-23) (ID #21038) $30.00.
79. • Kugel, James L. (editor) . STUDIES IN ANCIENT MIDRASH. Cambridge, Mass, Harvard Univ Pr, 1st Edition. Hardcover, 200 pages. ISBN 0-674-00258-XReligion & Spirituality: Christianity: Reference: Criticism & Interpreta tion: Old Testament Studies in Ancient Midrash is the proceedings of a conference, held at Harv ard University, surveying the beginnings of ancient biblical interpretation . Essays include "Ancient Biblical Interpretation and the Biblical Sage, " b y James Kugel; "Literacy and the Polemics Surrounding Biblical Interpretati on, " by A. I. Baumgarten; "Garments of Skin, Garments of Glory, " by Gary An derson; "Leave the Dead to Bury Their Own Dead, " by Menahem Kister; "Contou rs of Genesis Interpretation at Qumran, " by Moshe Bernstein; "Qohelet's Rec eption and Interpretation, " by Marc Hirshman; "Law, Morality and Rhetoric I n Some Sayings of Jesus, " by Menahem Kister; and "Biblical Interpretation I n some Qumran Prayers and Hymns, " by James Kugel. (ID #11111) $15.00.
80. • Leibowitz, Nehama; Aryeh Newman. STUDIES IN THE WEEKLY SIDRA. Jerusalem: World Zionist Organisation, Dept. For Torah Education And Culture In The Diaspora, 1961. Hardcover, 8vo. 370 pages. Volume seven? SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Pentateuch – study; Bible. O. T. Pentateuch – meditations. Shortly after Leibowitz (1905-1997) and her husband had settled in Palestine in 1930, her husband became blind. To support them, she, who had earned a Ph. D. At Marburg, began teaching Bible. She taught at the Mizrachi Women Teachers Seminary, Hebrew University, and at Tel Aviv University; commented regularly on the Israel Braodcasting Service; and, via mail, taught women on kibbutzim. The Israel Prize was given to her in 1956. (EJ, 2007) Very good condition. (BIBLE-8-14) (ID #21126) $30.00.
81. • Levine, Etan. THE ARAMAIC VERSION OF JONAH. New York: Sepher-Hermon Press, 1981. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 117 pages. Third edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Jonah. Aramiac. Targum Jonathan – commentaries; Bible. O. T. Jonah. Aramaic. Targum Jonathan – translations into English. Very good condition. (BIBLE-5-15) (ID #21030) $35.00.
82. • Levine, Etan. THE ARAMAIC VERSION OF LAMENTATIONS. New York: Hermon Press, 1981. Paperback, 8vo. 203 pages. Second printing. In English and Aramaic. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Lamentations – commentaries; Bible. O. T. Lamentations – translations into English. Very good condition. (BIBLE-5-18) (ID #21033) $30.00.
83. • Levine, Etan. THE ARAMAIC VERSION OF QOHELET. New York: Sepher-Hermon Press, 1981. Paperback, 8vo. 133 pages. Second printing. In English and Aramaic. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Ecclesiastes. Aramaic – commentaries; Bible. O. T. Ecclesiastes. Aramaic – translations into English. Ends of spine worn, very good condition. (BIBLE-5-17) (ID #21032) $30.00.
84. • Levita, Elijah; Christian D. Ginsburg. THE MASSORETH HA-MASSORETH OF ELIAS LEVITA: BEING AN EXPOSITION OF THE MASSORETIC NOTES ON THE HEBREW BIBLE: OR THE ANCIENT CRITICAL APPARATUS OF THE OLD TESTAMENT IN HEBREW. London: Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1867. Cloth, 8vo. Viii, 307 pages. In English with some Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Masorah; Bible. O. T. -- criticism, textual. Levita was a late-15th and early-16th century philologist, grammarian, and lexicographer. Though he was born in Germany, he spent most of his life in Italy. He taught Hebrew, wrote Hebrew and Aramaic grammars and dictionaries, and did masoretic research. He also wrote secular Yiddish works, many based upon medieval romances. Despite rabbis' objections, Levita's students included Christians; he thought that Christians' familiarity with Judaism lead to less persecution. There were mixed outcomes, including Levita's friendships with important figures like the French ambassador to Venice and Cardinal Egidius da Viterbo, and the conversion of two of Levita's grandchildren. (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Some wear, underlining and marginalia throughout, good condition. (BIBLE-7-1) (ID #21087) $125.00.
85. • Mitchel, O. M. THE ASTRONOMY OF THE BIBLE. New York: Blakeman & Mason, 1863. Cloth, 12mo. 322 pages. Tissue-papered frontispiece. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Astronomy in the Bible; Religion and science – 1860-1899. CONTENTS: Astronomical evidence of the being of a god; the god of the universe is Jehovah; The cosmology as revealed by the present state of astronomy; The mosaic account of creation, compared with the cosmology of the universe as revealed in he actual condition of astronomy; An examination of the astronomical allusions in the Book of Job; Ant astronomical miracles of the Bible miracles of power; The languages of the Bible. Embossed covers. Ex library. Covers faded, front hinge repaired, good condition. (BIBLE-7-12) (ID #21098) $50.00.
86. • Morgenstern, Julian. TWO PROPHECIES OF THE FOURTH CENTURY B.C. AND THE EVOLUTION OF YOM KIPPUR. Cincinnati: Hebrew Union College, 1953. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 74 pages. “Off-print from Hebrew Union College Annual, Volume XXIV. ” SUBJECT (S): Yom Kippur; Bible. O. T. Isaiah. LV. 6-13 – commentaries; Bible. O. T. Isaiah. LVIII. 1-12 – commentaries. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. Morgenstern (1881-1977) was president of Hebrew Union College from 1921 to 1947, where he himself had been ordained in 1902, and under him the college expanded both in scope and size. Morgenstern's approach to studying Bible was originally influenced by Wellhausen, but as he matured, he made his own path, examining economic, social, and political factors, as opposed to literary ones, when exploring sources and history. (Bamberger, EJ) Edge-worn, owner's name on front, good condition. (BIBLE-9-9) (ID #21145) $30.00.
87. • Noth, Martin. THE OLD TESTAMENT WORLD. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1966. Cloth, 8vo. Xxii, 404 pages. Illustrated. Second printing. SUBJECT (S): Palestine – historical geography; Bible. O. T. -- antiquities; Bible. O. T. -- criticism, textual. A professor at Koenigsburg and Bonn, and later director of the Deutsches Evangelische Institut in Jerusalem, Noth's (1902-1968) ideas as a Bible scholar follow closely Albrecht Alt's. He was a partisan of the form-critical approach to Biblical, historical, and cultural research. (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Good+ condition. (BIBLE-10-5) (ID #21157) $30.00.
88. • Oort, H. TEXTUS HEBRAICI EMENDATIONES: QUIBUS IN VETERE TESTAMENTO NEERLANDICE VERTENDO. Lugduni Bavatorum: E. J. Brill, 1900. Cloth, 8vo. Iv, 150 pages. In Latin. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. -- criticism, textual. Ex library. Water stains throughout around edges, good condition. (BIBLE-5-16) (ID #21031) $30.00.
89. • Orenstein, Walter; Hertz Frankel. TORAH AND TRADITION: A BIBLE TEXTBOOK FOR JEWISH YOUTH, VOLUME III. New York: Hebrew Publishing Co, 1972. Cloth, 8vo. Ix, 179 pages. Illustrated. In English with some Hebrew. First edition. Volume three (of five) only. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. Pentateuch – textbooks. OCLC lists 23 copies worldwide. Ex library, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-8-23) (ID #21135) $30.00.
90. • Orlinsky, Harry Meyer. UNDERSTANDING THE BIBLE THEOUGH HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGY. New York: Ktav, 1972. Cloth, 4to. Ix, 292 pages. Heavily illustrated. In English and Hebrew. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. -- history of Biblical events; Bible. O. T. -- archeology; Palestine – antiquities. CONTENTS: The fertile crescent: hebrew origins; Bondage, exodus, and the national covenant; Israel in Canaan: the period of the judges; The Israelite Empire under David and Solomon; The divided kingdom; Israel and Judah; The Babylonian exile and the restoration of Judah; The Hebraic spirit: the prophetic movement and social justice. ISBN: 087068096X. “Orlinsky [1908-1992] was born in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada and went to the U. S. In 1931, later becoming a fellow at Dropsie College and Johns Hopkins University. He was professor of Bible at the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in New York City from 1943, chairman of the Society for Biblical Literature (president 1969–70) , and chairman of the American Friends of the Israel Exploration Society from 1954.” (EJ, 2007) Ex library with minimal markings. Spine faded, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-8-22) (ID #21134) $30.00.
91. • Pedersen, Johannes. ISRAEL: ITS LIFE AND CULTURE. VOLS I-II. London: Oxford University Press, 1926. Cloth, 8vo. X, 578 pages. First edition. Volumes one and two (of four) only, bound together. SUBJECT(S): Jews – social life and customs; Bible. O. T. -- criticism, interpretation, etc. Pedersen (1883-1951) was a “Danish Semitist, religious historian, and biblical scholar. From 1916 to 1921 he was a lecturer on the Old Testament, and from 1921 to 1950 professor of Semitic philology, at Copenhagen University. Of singular importance are Pedersen's achievements in biblical research. In 1920 he published the first volume of Israel (Israel: its Life and Culture, Eng. Tr, 1926) , in which he endeavors to describe Israelite thinking and social life in terms of the mentality and behavior of a primitive civilization, thus making an attempt to extricate himself from the preconceived theological and philosophic notions that have influenced the interpretation of the old Israelite texts since Hellenistic times. In the second volume, published in 1934 (Eng. Tr, 1940) , Pedersen traces the development of Israelite civilization from the period of Judges until the Exile. The foundation of the religious development was the spontaneous experience of a cooperation between the divine forces and man himself; with David, purposefulness took the place of spontaneity in the relation to God, and the deity was looked upon as the strong will of personality. The preaching of the prophets emphasized the overwhelming greatness of God and the inferiority of man, thus preparing the way for Judaism's ideas of God and man. From the point of view of social development, the contact with the Canaanite way of life and urbanization resulted in a crisis in the ancient pattern of life. ” (Nielson, EJ) Minor wear, good condition. (SPEC-2-22) (ID #20132) $30.00.
92. • Rabinowitz, E. N. MIDRASH HA-GADOL `AL HAMISHAH HUMSHE TORAH : SEFER VA-YIKRA. New York : The Jewish Theological Seminary OF America. 1932. Cloth, 8vo. 702, v pages. In Hebrew and English. SUBJECT (S) : Bible O. T. Leviticus – commentaries. Good condition; edgeworn; small name stamp on flyleaf. (k-bible-1-2) (ID 21162) $50.00
93. • Rabinowitz, Louis I. TORAH AND FLORA. New York: Sanhedrin Press, 1977. Hardcover, 8vo. V, 167 pages. Illustrated. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Flowers in the Bible; Bible. O. T. Pentateuch. ISBN: 0884829170. “Born in Edinburgh, [Rabinowitz (1906-1984) ] served as rabbi in the London communities of Shepherd's Bush, South Hackney, and Cricklewood, successively. During World War II he was a senior Jewish chaplain with the British army in the Middle East and Normandy. In 1945 he became chief rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregation of Johannesburg and the Federation of Synagogues of Transvaal and the Orange Free State. He was appointed professor of Hebrew at the University of Witwatersrand and head of the Johannesburg bet din. In 1947, in protest against British policy in Palestine, he discarded his war decorations in public. An eloquent preacher, he was also outspoken in his criticism of the South African government's apartheid policy. Retiring in 1961, he settled in Israel and became deputy editor in chief of the Encyclopaedia Judaica. He was also a Gahal representative in the Jerusalem municipality from 1969 and in 1976 was appointed a deputy mayor of Jerusalem. ” (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Spine faded, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-8-20) (ID #21132) $30.00.
94. • Reines, Chaim W. כהנים ונביאים : מחקרים במקרא KOHANIM U-NEVIIM: MEHKARIM BA-MIKRA. New York: Reines, 1945. Cloth, (FT) 8vo. 83 pages. First edition. In Hebrew. English title: Priests and prophets: Biblical studies. SUBJECT(S): Priests, Jewish; Conahim; Prophets. OCLC lists 14 copies worldwide. Very good condition. (BIBLE-8-8) (ID #21120) $50.00.
95. • Robinson, Theodore H. THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE HEBREW KINGDOMS: ISRAEL IN THE EIGHTH AND SEVENTH CENTURIES B.C. New York: AMS Press, 1971. Cloth, 8vo. Xix, 246 pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Jews – history – 953-586 B. C. E; Bible. O. T. Kings, 2nd – commentaries; Bible. O. T. Prophets – commentaries. SERIES: The Clarendon Bible,; v. 3. ISBN: 0404053769. Very good condition. (BIBLE-5-24) (ID #21039) $30.00.
96. • Rosenthal, Ludwig A. ÜBER DEN ZUSAMMENHANG, DIE QUELLEN UND DIE ENTSTEHUNG DER MISCHNA. Berlin: G. Wechselmann, 1918. Cloth, 8vo. 164, 84, 132 pages. In German. SUBJECT (S): Mishnah. OCLC lists 17 copies worldwide. SERIES: Schriften zur beleuchtung der lehrwise und entwicklung des Talmuds. “Rosenthal [1855-1928], who was born in Putzig, Western Prussia, served as rabbi in Koethen, Rogasen, Preussisch Stargard, and Berlin, where he also lectured in the preparatory department of the Hochschule (Lehranstalt) fuer die Wissenschaft des Judentums. Of importance are his Mishnah studies, in particular his Ueber den Zusammenhang, Quellen und Entstehung der Mischna (3 vols, 19182) . Rosenthal took an active part in the controversy over Friedrich F. Delitzsch's views (Babel und Bible, 1902; Hammurabi Gesetz, 1903) , and wrote a comparative study on Joel, Nahum, and Habakkuk (1905) . He acted as editor of Rahmer's Juedisches Literaturblatt, and edited the 10th edition of Kayserling's Lehrbuch der juedischen Geschichte und Literatur (1922) . He also wrote a biography of Lazarus Geiger (1884) . His other articles were published in Gesammelte Schriften (1926) . ” (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Some pages tanned, covers a little worn, hinges starting, good- condition. (BIBLE-9-16) (ID #21152) $40.00.
97. • Silberman, Lou H. PROPHETS AND PHILOSOPHERS: THE SCANDAL OF PROPHECY. Cincinnati: Hebrew Union College, 1958. Paper wrappers, 8vo. 20 pages. “The Goldenson Lecture for 1958.” SUBJECT (S): Revelation (Jewish theology) . OCLC lists 21 copies worldwide. Covers lightly rubbed, very good condition. (BIBLE-5-13) (ID #21027) $30.00.
98. • Spiegel, Shalom. AMOS VS. AMAZIAH. New York: Jewish Theological Seminary Of America, 1957. Paper wrappers, 12mo. 62 pages. SUBJECT (S): Amos (Biblical prophet); Amaziah. OCLC lists 28 copies worldwide. SERIES: Essays in Judaism; No. 3. “Born in Romania and educated in Vienna, Spiegel [1899-1984] was for a number of years a leader of Jewish youth who were preparing to live in collectives in Israel as members of Ha-Shomer ha-Za'ir. He taught in Erez Israel 1923–29, then went to New York, and was professor of medieval Hebrew literature at the Jewish Theological Seminary. Trained in art and aesthetics, among other areas, he brought the appreciation of the sensitive critic to what he taught, studied, or wrote... He published studies on Hosea, Amos, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Job. These exhibit both his erudition and thoroughness and also his style and finesse. In 1996 the Jewish Theological Seminary established the Shalom Spiegel Institute for Medieval Hebrew Literature. The Institute provides fellowships to graduate students in the field, fosters international research projects, and provides access to Spiegel's copious collection of research materials. ” (EJ, 2007) Good condition. (BIBLE-9-2) (ID #21138) $30.00.
99. • Stollman, Isaac. ספר מנחת יצחק SEFER MINHAT YITSHAK: U-VO HEGYONOT MUSARIYIM VE-HASHKAFOT KELALIYOT `A. P. RUAH HA-TORAH VEHA-MITSVAH ... VOL 4 (ONLY) . St. Louis: Salz & Gellman,, 1956. Cloth , (FT) 8vo. 288 pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S) Jewish sermons, Hebrew. Title Subject: Bible. O. T. Pentateuch -- Sermons. Contents: helek 1. Be-reshit -- helek 2. Shemot (u-mo`adim shonim) -- helek 3. Va-yikra, Ba-midbar -- helek 4. Devarim, `As. Y. T, Sh. Ha-Sh, ve-Kohelet. OCLC lists seven copies worldwide. (Bible6-12) (ID #21053) $30.00.
100. • Thomas, D. Winton; Society For Old Testament Study. DOCUMENTS FROM OLD TESTAMENT TIMES. London, New York: T. Nelson, 1958. Cloth, 8vo. Xxiv, 302 pages. Plate illustrations. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. -- evidences, authority, etc; Bible. O. T. -- antiquities. Very good condition. (BIBLE-5-7) (ID #21021) $30.00.
101. • Tsevat, Matitiahu. A STUDY OF THE LANGUAGE OF THE BIBLICAL PSALMS. Philadelphia: Society Of Biblical Literature, 1955. Paper wrappers, 8vo. Viii, 153 pages. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Psalms – languages, style. SERIES: Journal of Biblical Literature: Monograph series,; v. IX. Edges of cover faded, very good condition. (BIBLE-5-6) (ID #21020) $30.00.
102. • Vilnay, Zev. מצבות קודש בארץ־ישראל MATSEVOT KODESH BE-ERETS YISRAEL. Jerusalem: Mosad Ha-Rav Kuk, 1951. Hardcover, (FT) 8vo. 462, 40 pages. In Hebrew. Illustrated. First edition. SUBJECT(S): Sepulchral monuments – Palestine; Tombs – Palestine; Palestine – antiquities; Bible. O. T. -- antiquities. OCLC lists 20 copies worldwide. “Born in Kishinev, Vilnay [1900-1988] moved to Palestine with his parents as a child of six and settled in Haifa. In the middle 1920s Vilnay became one of the principal guides in the walking tours (tiyyulim) over the country, popular among workers and youth groups; they included areas in Lebanon, Syria, Transjordan, and Sinai. He was an instructor of military topography in the Haganah and later during the War of Independence (1948) and the Six-Day War (1967) . He was awarded the Israel Prize in 1982 for yedi'at
ha-are' ("Knowledge of Israel"). ” (EJ, 2007) Has dust jacket, torn down spine. Pages tanned, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-8-13) (ID #21125) $35.00.
103. • Wicks, Henry J. THE DOCTRINE OF GOD IN THE JEWISH APOCRYPHAL AND APOCALYPTIC LITERATURE. London: Hunter & Longhurst,, 1915. Cloth, 8vo. Xi, 371 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S) Apocryphal books (Old Testament) -- Theology. God (Judaism) Bible. O. T. Apocrypha -- Theology. In very good condition (Bible6-13) (ID #21054) $40.00.
104. • Wiener, Harold Marcus. EARLY HEBREW HISTORY: AND OTHER STUDIES. London: Robert Scott, 1924. Cloth, 12mo. Ix, 117 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jews – history – 586 B. C. E-70 C. E; Jewish law; Ethics in the Bible. CONTENTS: Some factors in early Hebrew history -- Appendix -- The law of change in the Bible -- The Biblical doctrines of joint, hereditary and individual responsibility -- Index I. Biblical texts. II. General. “Wiener [1875-1929] was born in London. Although a lawyer by profession, he devoted most of his life to biblical research. He settled in Palestine in 1924, believing that a religious renaissance was imminent. His main objective was to minimize the conflict between the various religions in the land, and he devoted the last five years of his life to a rapprochement between Arabs and Jews. He supported an Arab school and provided funds for scholarships for young Arabs. His house was called the House of Humanity. Despite these activities, Wiener was killed by an Arab gang on Aug. 13, 1929. He said to his attackers, who did not recognize him, ana yahud ("I am a Jew") , and these words sealed his fate. In his studies Wiener insisted that the Pentateuch was written by Moses, but developed a critical method of biblical interpretation, by which, using the ancient versions, he attempted to establish a correct text. Wiener was prominent among those who opposed the J. Wellhausen school of Bible research by scholarly methods. ” (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Very good condition. (BIBLE-7-24) (ID #21111) $18.00.
105. • Wiland, Saul. A MODERN VERSION OF GENESIS: OUR LIKENESS. New York: Shapolsky, 1987. Cloth, 8vo. 148 pages. Illustrated. First edition, first impression. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Genesis – miscellanea. OCLC lists 7 copies worldwide. ISBN: 0933503989. Ex library, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-10-6) (ID #21158) $55.00.
106. • Willett, Herbert Lockwood. STUDIES IN THE FIRST BOOK OF SAMUEL: FOR THE USE OF CLASSES IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS AND IN THE SECONDARY DIVISION OF THE SUNDAY SCHOOL. Chicago: University Of Chicago Press, 1909. Cloth, 12mo. Xxxviii, 305 pages. Illustrated. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Bible. O. T. Samuel, 1st – study and teaching; Bible. O. T. Samuel, 1st – textbooks. SERIES: Constructive Bible studies [ed. By E. D. Burton] Secondary series. Ex library. Covers a little worn, good condition. (BIBLE-7-22) (ID #21109) $30.00.
107. • Yahuda, A. S. THE ACCURACY OF THE BIBLE: THE STORIES OF JOSEPH, THE EXODUS AND GENESIS CONFIRMED AND ILLUSTRATED BY EGYPTIAN MONUMENTS AND LANGUAGE. New York: E. P. Dutton & Co, 1935. Cloth, 8vo. Xxxvii, 226 pages. Illustrated. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Egypt – antiquities; Bible. O. T. Pentateuch – antiquities; Bible. O. T. Pentateuch – evidence, authority, etc. “Born in Jerusalem of a Baghdad family, Yahuda [1877-1951] was taught by his brother Isaac Ezekiel Yahuda, who was 13 years his senior and the author of a comprehensive collection of Arabic proverbs. At the age of 15 he published his first book. He went to Europe to study Semitics at Heidelberg and Strasbourg, where he was the pupil of Th. Noeldecke. From 1904 to 1914 Yahuda lectured at the Berlin Hochschule (Lehranstalt) fuer die Wissenschaft des Judentums and from then to 1922 was professor at the University of Madrid. During World War I, while in Madrid, he tried to persuade King Alfonso XIII to use his influence with the emperors of Germany and Austria on behalf of the Jews of Erez Israel. These activities were later criticized by Chaim Weizmann in his autobiography Trial and Error to which Yahuda replied in his Dr. Weizmann's Errors on Trial. After 20 years of travel during which time he acquired a valuable collection of books and manuscripts – part of which he later sold to the British Museum – he became professor at the New School for Social Research, New York in 1942. He died in New Haven, Connecticut. ” (EJ, 2007) Ex library. Good+ condition. (BIBLE-7-17) (ID #21103) $40.00.
108. • Yellin, David. חקרי מקרא : באורים חדשים במקראות : ישעיהו HIKRE MIKRA: BEURIM HADASHIM BA-MIKRAOT: YESHA`YAHU. Jerusalem: Darom, 1930. Cloth, (FT) 8vo. 122 pages. In Hebrew. SUBJECT(S): Bible. O. T. Isaiah – commentaries. Ex library. Hinges repaired, pages tanned, good condition. (BIBLE-8-21) (ID #21133) $75.00.
SECOND TEMPLE & EARLY CHRISTIANITY
109. • Abrahams, Israel. STUDIES IN PHARISAISM AND THE GOSPELS. FIRST SERIES. Cambridge, UK: University Press, 1917. Cloth, 8vo. Viii, 178 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Pharisees; Bible. N. T. Gospels – criticism, interpretation, etc. “Originally designed as an appendix to C. G. Montefiores commentary on the synoptic gospels. ” Abrahams (1858-1924) “was appointed reader in rabbinic and talmudic literature at Cambridge [in 1902], succeeding Solomon Schechter. He played a considerable role in the university, both personal and scholastic, and had some distinguished non-Jewish pupils. For many years his home was the focus of university Jewish life. His influence was greater, however, as a writer than as a teacher, and over many years he was the chief exponent of Jewish scholarship in England. Although in some respects a popularizer, even his most ephemeral writings were nevertheless distinguished by their scholarship, just as his most learned writings did not lack charm. He was also one of the founders of and most devoted workers for the Jewish Historical Society of England and similar bodies. ”(Roth, EJ) Has scarce jacket. Pages a little tanned, very good condition. (BIBLE-5-22) (ID #21037) $30.00.
110. • Avi-Yonah, Michael. בימי רומא וביזאנטיון : היסטוריה מדינית של יהודי ארץ־ישראל למן מרד בר־כוכבא ועד ראשית הכיבוש הערבי BI-YEME ROMA U-BIZANTIYON: HISTORYAH MEDINIT SHEL YEHUDE ERETS YISRAEL. Jerusalem: Mosad Byalik, 1946. Cloth, (FT) 8vo. 242 pages. Illustrated with photographs, maps, charts; included fold-out map. First edition. English title: In the days of Rome and Byzantium. SUBJECT(S): Jews – Palestine; Jews – history – 70-638. OCLC lists 5 copies worldwide. An historian and archeaologist, Avi-Yonah (1904-1974) settled in Palestine in 1921and worked for the Department of Antiquities, including editing their quarterly. In 1953, he was appointed professor at the Hebrew University. He assisted in excavations at Avdat, Husifa, Beth-Shean, Nahariyyah, Bet Yerah, and Caesarea, and took part in the Masada Survey. (EJ, 2007) Very good condition. (BIBLE-8-10) (ID #21122) $30.00.
111. • Charles, R. H. THE GREEK VERSIONS OF THE TESTAMENTS OF THE TWELVE PATRIARCHS.EDITED FROM NINE MSS . TOGETHER WITH THE VARIANTS OF THE ARMENIAN AND SLAVONIC VERSIONS AND SOME HEBREW FRAGMENTS,. Oxford: Clarendon Press,, 1908. Cloth , 8vo. 324 pages. Introduction in English, text mainly in Greek. In very good condition. (Bible 6-15) (ID #21058) $45.00.
112. • Charles, R. H. THE GREEK VERSIONS OF THE TESTAMENTS OF THE TWELVE PATRIARCHS.EDITED FROM NINE MSS . TOGETHER WITH THE VARIANTS OF THE ARMENIAN AND SLAVONIC VERSIONS AND SOME HEBREW FRAGMENTS,. Oxford: Clarendon Press,, 1908. Cloth , 8vo. 324 pages. Introduction in English, text mainly in Greek. In very good condition. (Bible 6-15) (ID #21080) $45.00.
113. • Cohen, Jeremy. BE FERTILE AND INCREASE, FILL THE EARTH AND MASTER IT: THE ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL CAREER OF A BIBLICAL TEXT. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1989. Cloth, 8vo. Xiv, 375 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Theological anthropology – Christianity – history of doctrines – early church, ca. 30-600; Theological anthropology – Christianity – history of doctrines – Middle Ages, 600-1500; Bible O. T. Genesis I, 18 – criticism, interpretation, etc. – history. ISBN: 0801423074. Ex library, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-8-19) (ID #21131) $30.00.
114. • Cohn, Haim Hermann. משפטו ומותו של ישו הנוצרי MISHPATO U-MOTO SHEL YESHU HA-NOTSRI. Tel Aviv: Devir, 1968. Hardcover, (FT) 8vo. 182 pages. In Hebrew. First edition. English title: Trial and death of Jesus. SUBJECT(S): Jesus Christ – trials, litigation, etc. “Cohn was born in Luebeck, Germany, and settled in Palestine in 1930. He studied at Merkaz ha-Rav yeshivah in Jerusalem, then gained a law degree in Germany in 1933. Cohn practiced law in Palestine, joining the Legal Council of the Jewish authorities in Palestine in 1947. From 1948 to 1950 Cohn was state attorney and in 1950–52 and 1953–60 he served as attorney general, contributing to the founding of the Israel legal and judicial system during the formative years of statehood. In 1952–53 he was minister of justice and in 1960 he was appointed a justice of the Israel Supreme Court. On March 5, 1980, Cohn was appointed deputy president of the Israel Supreme Court; he retired in 1981. He then became president of the Association for Civil Rights in Israel and of the International Center for Peace in the Middle East. From 1975 he was member of the International Commission of Jurists in Geneva and president of the International Association of Jewish Lawyers. His decisions were characterized by a liberal approach to problems connected with halakhah. During 1957–59 and 1965–67 Cohn served on the UN Commission on Human Rights. He also served as a law professor at the Hebrew and Tel Aviv universities. ” (EJ, 2007) Inscribed by author. Has rubbed dust jacket. Bumped corner, good+ condition. (BIBLE-8-12) (ID #21124) $40.00.
115. • Drazin, Nathan. HISTORY OF JEWISH EDUCATION FROM 515 B.C.E. TO 220 C.E. (DURING THE PERIODS OF THE SECOND COMMONWEALTH AND THE TANNAIM) . Baltimore, The Johns Hopkins Press,, 1940. Cloth, 8vo. X p, 1 l, 161 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S) Jews -- Education. Inscribed by the author, in very good condition. (BIBLE6-7) (ID #21048) $30.00.
116. • Finkel, Asher. THE PHARISEES AND THE TEACHER OF NAZARETH: A STUDY OF THEIR BACKGROUND, THEIR HALACHIC AND MIDRASHIC TEACHINGS, THE SIMILARITIES AND DIFFERENCES. Leiden: Brill, 1964. Cloth, 8vo. Xiii, 184 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Pharisees; Christianity – relations – Judaism; Midrash; Jesus Christ – Jewish interpretations. SERIES: Arbeiten zur Geschichte des Spätjudentums und Urchristentums,; Bd. 4. Ex library, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-5-19) (ID #21034) $40.00.
117. • Hynek, Rudolf Maria. SCIENCE AND THE HOLY SHROUD; AN EXAMINATION INTO THE SACRED PASSION AND THE DIRECT CAUSE OF CHRIST'S DEATH. Chicago: Benedictine Press,, 1936. Cloth, 8vo. L40 p. Ill. In English. SUBJECT (S): Holy Shroud. In very good condition (Bible6-19) (ID #21062) $30.00.
118. • Hynek, Rudolf Maria. SCIENCE AND THE HOLY SHROUD; AN EXAMINATION INTO THE SACRED PASSION AND THE DIRECT CAUSE OF CHRIST'S DEATH. Chicago: Benedictine Press,, 1936. Cloth, 8vo. L40 p. Ill. In English. SUBJECT (S): Holy Shroud. In very good condition (Bible6-19) (ID #21084) $30.00.
119. • Loewe, H. JUDAISM AND CHRISTIANITY: VOLUME 2, THE CONTACT OF PHARISAISM WITH OTHER CULTURES. London: Sheldon Press, 1937. Cloth, 8vo. Xxii, 371 pages. Frontispiece. Volume two (of three) only. First edition. SUBJECT(S): Christianity and other religions – Judaism; Judaism – relations – Christianity; Pharisees. CONTENTS: The ideas of Pharisaism; Pharisaism and Hellenism; Rome, Pagen and Christian; Islam; France in the thirteenth century; The feudal period; Renaissance and reformation; Casuistry—Jewish and Jesuit dialectics. Ex library. Good condition. (BIBLE-8-15) (ID #21127) $30.00.
120. • Moore, George Foot. JUDAISM IN THE FIRST CENTURIES OF THE CHRISTIAN ERA, THE AGE OF THE TANNAIM. VOLUME 3: NOTES. THIS VOLUME ONLY. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1930. Cloth, 8vo. Ix, 206 pages. Volume three (of three) only. SUBJECT(S): Tannaim; Judaism – history – post-exilic period, 586 B. C. E. -210 A. D. Moore, an ordained Presbyterian minister, graduated from Yale and Union Theological Seminary, and taught at Harvard. “He was president of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Massachusetts Historical Society, and the Society of Biblical Literature. Thus he also did much to shape the concept of religion as a universal human activity of which the various religions are particular instances, and the study, one of the "humanities. " This conception was important for the ecumenical movement, cooperation between Christians and Jews, reorientation of missions from conversion to social work, and introduction of courses on the history of religion into college curricula. ” (EJ, Smith) Ex library, otherwise very good condition. (BIBLE-9-1) (ID #21137) $30.00.
121. • Nadich, Judith. JEWISH LEGENDS OF THE SECOND COMMONWEALTH. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society Of America, 1983. Cloth, 8vo. Xxviii, 477 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Legends, Jewish; Aggada – translations into English; Jews – history – 586 B. C. E. -70 C. E. -- miscellanea. CONTENTS: The Persian period; The Greek period; The Hasmonean period; The Apocrypha; The Second Temple; The great assembly and the Sanhedrin; The early sages; The first generation of Tannaim; The last years of the Second Commonwealth. ISBN: 082760212x. Ex library, otherwise good+ condition. (BIBLE-9-3) xx (ID #21139) $30.00.
122. • Pritz, Ray A. NAZARENE JEWISH CHRISTIANITY: FROM THE END OF THE NEW TESTAMENT PERIOD UNTIL ITS DISAPPEARANCE IN THE FOURTH CENTURY. Jerusalem: Magnes Press, Hebrew University; Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1988. Cloth, 8vo. 153 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Jewish Christians history – early church, ca. 30-600; Epiphanius, Saint, Bp. Of Constantia in Cyprus; Jerome, Saint, d. 419 or 20; Bible. O. T. Hebrews – criticism, interpretations, etc. SERIES: Studia post-Biblica; v. 37. ISBN: 9004081089. Has jacket. Very good condition. (BIBLE-5-10) (ID #21024) $30.00.
123. • (Sepphoris) Büchler, Adolf. THE POLITICAL AND THE SOCIAL LEADERS OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OF SEPPHORIS IN THE SECOND AND THIRD CENTURIES. Oxford, Printed By H. Hart At The University Press, 1909. Paper Wrappers, 8vo. 92 pages. In English. SUBJECT (S): Sefuriyeh. Jews -- History -- A. D. 70-. In good condition. (Bible6-1) (ID #21042) $70.00.
AMERICANA & 19TH CENTURY AMERICAN IMPRINTS
124. • Berk, Matthew A; James A. Huie; William Craig Brownlee; William Jenks. THE HISTORY OF THE JEWS FROM THE BABYLONIAN CAPTIVITY TO THE PRESENT TIME: COMPRISING THEIR CONQUESTS, DISPERSIONS, WANDERINGS, PERSECUSIONS, COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISES, LITERATURE, MANNERS, CUSTOMS, AND FORMS OF WORSHIP, WITH AN ACCOUNT OF THE VARIOUS . EFFORTS MADE FOR THEIR CONVERSION. Boston: M. A. Berk, 1848. 12mo. 476 pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Jews – history. OCLC lists 11 copies worldwide. Front cover and backstrip missing, back cover and last signature detached, pages clean, good condition. (SPEC-2-16) (ID #20125) $30.00.
125. • Mapu, Abraham; Benjamin Alexander Moses Schapiro. THE SHEPHERD PRINCE: [AHAVAT TSIYON] A HISTORICAL ROMANCE OF THE DAYS OF ISAIAH. New York: The Translator, 1922. Cloth, 8vo. Xx, 380 pages. Illustrated. SUBJECT (S): Jewish fiction; Bible. O. T. Kings, 2nd – history of Biblical events – fiction. Mapu (1808-1867) was the “creator of the modern Hebrew novel. ” Born in Kovno, he was a Halaskah writer who learned Latin, Frnench, Russian, and German, and studied modern literature alongside the Bible and Hebrew grammar. In turns a private and government teacher, Mapu spent many years struggling with poverty and ill health. He was best known for his first novel, Ahavat Tsiyon, first published in 1853, which was reprinted in several editions and translated into many languages. (EJ, 2007) Covers a little worn at corners, blind stamp on t. P, pages tanning, good condition. (BIBLE-9-15) (ID #21151) $30.00.
126. • Smith, George. THE HEBREW PEOPLE: OR, THE HISTORY AND RELIGION OF THE ISRAELITES, FROM THE ORIGIN OF THE NATION TO THE TIME OF CHRIST: DEDUCED FROM THE WRITINGS OF MOSES AND OTHER INSPIRED AUTHORS; AND ILLUSTRATED BY COPIOUS REFERENCES TO THE ANCIENT RECORDS, . TRADITIONS, AND MYTHOLOGY OF THE HEATHEN WORLD. New York: Carlton & Phillips, 1856. 8vo. 614 pages. SUBJECT (S): Judaism; Jews -- history. OCLC lists 22 copies worldwide. SERIES: His Sacred annals; v.2; Variation: Smith, George,; 1800-1868.; Sacred annals; v.2. Covers missing, title page detached, water stains throughout, good condition. (SPEC-2-21) (ID #20131) $40.00.
OTHER RELATED WORKS
127. • Morgenstern, Julian. THE RITES OF BIRTH, MARRIAGE, DEATH, AND KINDRED OCCASIONS AMONG THE SEMITES. Cincinnati: Hebrew Union College Press, 1966. Cloth, 8vo. 320 pages. First edition. SUBJECT (S): Judaism – customs and practices; Semites – religion. CONTENTS: Introduction; Birth rites of the modern urban and rural Semites; Birth rites of the modern Bedouin; Evil spirits at birth; The third, seventh, and fortieth days after birth; Taboo and its removal; The rite of Tahnik; The Akikah ceremony; Circumcision; Circumcision festivals; Baptism; The sacrifice of the hair; Evil spirits and marriage rites; Evil spirits and death rites; A historical survey; Conclusion. Morgenstern (1881-1977) was president of Hebrew Union College from 1921 to 1947, where he himself had been ordained in 1902, and under him the college expanded both in scope and size. The Hebrew Union College Annual was started under Morgenstern in 1924, and “at once became one of the world's outstanding publications in Jewish scholarship. ” Morgenstern's approach to studying Bible was originally influenced by Wellhausen, but as he matured, he made his own path, examining economic, social, and political factors, as opposed to literary ones, when exploring sources and history. (Bamberger, EJ) Ex library. Good+ condition. (BIBLE-10-7) xxx (ID #21159) $30.00.