1903. Item #31569
Later Wrappers. 8vo. 54 pages. 23 cm. First edition. Illustrated with ten plates depicting the leaders of the society and the cemetery of the Maimonides Benevolent Society; with an essay expounding upon the history of this society. This benevolent society, comprised of German-Jews in New York City, was founded as a lodge to obtain cemetery plots for its members; the name was changed from the Phillips Lodge to the Maimonides Benevolent Society in 1861; the lodge adopted a German and English language ritual for the first time in 1886. Many of the members were wealthy businessmen, and accordingly, the Golden Jubilee was reported in the New York Times that year. Subjects: Jewish Benevolent Society. One copy listed on OCLC (Hebrew Union College) . Institutional stamps on modern archival boards, first pages previously repaired. Probably lacks original covers, but content appears complete. Clean and fresh. Good condition. Very Scarce. (AMR-42-1).