New York, E. & H. T. Anthony & Co., N.D. Photograph. Item #38398
No date (1890s) . First edition. Original illustrated red stereoview card with left-eye and right-eye black-and-white photographs of a synagogue on Madison Avenue in New York City. 1 card; 17.5 x 8.5 cm. The synagogue has similar architecture to Central Synagogue. E. & H. T. Anthony & Company “was the largest supplier and distributors of photographic supplies in the United States during the 19th century. Company founder Edward Anthony, a Columbia College trained civil engineer who had studied photography with Samuel F. B Morse, started in the photography business in 1842 by opening a Daguerreotype gallery in New York. Five years later he opened a separate shop devoted exclusively to photographic supplies and as sales grew rapidly ceased operations in his daguerrotypist gallery. In 1850 Anthony began the production of daguerreotype cases, camera boxes, and photographic chemicals. His brother, Henry T. Anthony, joined the business two years later in 1852…. In 1859 Anthony added stereoscopic view cards, photographic albums, and gallery furniture and backdrops to the company’s product lines” (Wikipedia 2017) . SUBJECT(S) : Stereoview, Photography, Synagogues, New York. Very minimal wear. Minimal pencil markings on the back of the card that do not affect text. Very good + condition. (AMR-53-4).