N.D. Item #38401
No date (ca. 1868-1875) . Original illustrated mid-29th Century pictorial image mounted on cardboard as issued. 10.5x7.5 cm. Depicts an early post-Civil War Congregation Adath Israel, also known as The Temple, in Louisville, Kentucky. Congregation Adath Israel Brith Sholom “is a Reform synagogue located in Louisville, Kentucky. Originally, the Adath Israel Temple, it adopted its current name following a merger, but is more commonly known by the informal name The Temple. The congregation, the oldest in Kentucky, was chartered in 1842 and has occupied six buildings. It is a founding member of the Union for Reform Judaism…. In 1868 the congregation built an elaborate domed synagogue in an Orientalist style that featured twin towers topped by tall domes and a Torah Ark with a horseshoe arch topped by a similar dome” (Wikipedia 2017) , the building depicted in this image. Lewis Dembitz, prominent lawyer and uncle of Louis D. Brandeis, was likely involved in the synagogue, as he held a prominent role in the establishment of the early institutions of the Reform movement in Louisville. Image depicts synagogue with trees, people walking on the sidewalk, and a horse-drawn carriage and a man pushing a cart in the street. The image is included on the synagogue’s current website. SUBJECT(S) : Synagogues, Louisville, KY, History. Very little markings and rubbing. Pencil markings and slight taining on the back that do not affect the image. Very good + condition. A beautiful and rare image. (AMR-53-7).