Tianjin: No Publisher (The Society, printed by Universal Press), 1935? Item #42263
1st Edition. Original printed paper wrappers, 12mo,  pages. In Russian. Title translates as, “Constitution of the Russian Commercial Society [or Association] in Tianjin.” Cover notes, “Approved December 30, 1934.”Copy belonging to Leo Gershevitch (Gershevitch Bros. are listed at rear as a member firm), President of the Tientsin Jewish Hebrew Association, The Tientsin Zionist Organization, The Tientsin Jewish Union, the Tientsin Hebrew school, the Culture Club 'Kunst, ’ and other Jewish organizations in Tientsin, with his Yiddish stamp on cover. Laid in is a double-sided carbon copy, folded in two, in Russian, with manuscript corrections, of the “Proe?kt: Polozheniye o Tekhnicheskoye Otdele Pri Russkoy Konvercheskoy” (Project: Regulations On The Technical Department Under The Russian Conversion [Concession?])Booklet includes a list of 32 members at rear (a mix of what appear to be Jewish and non-Jewish names) as well as 18 member firms (18 firms listed, including Gershvitch Bros.)Up until 1904 only ten Jewish families lived in Tientsin. In 1906 the Jews established the Tientsin Jewish Union which rendered various religious services. Side by side with this union the Tientsin Hebrew Association was active in the city and took care of welfare needs such as soup kitchens, hospitals, homes for the elderly, etc. The 1917 Russian Revolution fueled the rapid growth of the city's Jewish population with many Jewish immigrants from Russia, and “in 1920 the community was formally named The Hebrew Association of Tientsin (THA) [The organization named here in this charter booklet]. In this context the community built a synagogue, engaged a Rabbi and a Shochet, and provided full religious services. Committees for Eretz Israel affairs and hospitals were set up. A singular feature of the community was the establishment of the Benevolent Society in 1920, whose aim was to assist Jews in need and help them settle into their new environment.” Tianjin soon became the third largest Jewish community in China, after Shanghai and Harbin. In 1935, the number of Jewish people in Tianjin reached 3,500. Though most Jews left the city after the 1949 Chinese Revolution. (sinojudaic.org/tianjin), large numbers of Jewish refugees had been streaming to Tianjin before and during World War II, with the city occupied by the Japanese from July 1937 to August 1945. For more on the Tianjin/Tiensin Jewish community, see also https://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/harbin/Growing_Up_in_Tientsin_Chapter_22. pdf. A similar booklet for a Jewish organization in Tianjin–but from a less important date–sold at auction in 2023 for $875 (with commission). SUBJECT(S): Jews -- China -- Tientsin -- History -- Societies, etc. OCLC lists no copies anywhere, and we could find no copies via a google search. Perhaps a unique surviving example. Very Good+ Condition, a beautiful copy of this exceedingly rare title (Holo2-160-15).