ORDER OF SERVICE AT THE CELEBRATION OF THE JUBILEE OF THE SYNAGOGUE OF THE SWANSEA HEBREW CONGREGATION, GOAT STREET, SUNDAY MAY 16TH, 1909/5669.
Birmingham : Avery and Joseph Printers, 1909. Item #42343
1st edition. Original green printed paper wrappers, 8vo, 11 pages 22cm. Parallel text in English and Hebrew. Printed on heavy glossy paper. “The first formal Jewish institution to be established in Swansea was the Jewish burial ground in Townhill in 1768. It unclear when Jews in Swansea began meeting for formal religious worship, but we do know that the Jewish community was using a room on the Strand opposite Essery’s warehouse as a synagogue in 1789…. The first purpose built synagogue was opened on a plot of land between Goat Street and Waterloo Street in 1818….In 1859 the original building was replaced by a larger synagogue in Goat Street which had room for about 250 people. This synagogue would serve the needs of the community for the next 82 years.Worshipping [sic] at the Goat Street synagogue came to an abrupt end in February 1941 when the building was destroyed by German bombs. However, this did not spell the end for the Swansea Hebrew Congregation.Luckily some Scrolls of Law had been removed to the homes of some of the congregation before the ‘Three Nights Blitz’. Despite the loss of their synagogue, the community was determined that Jewish life in Swansea should continue as normal.” (https://jewishheritage.wales/swansea). SUBJECT(S): Judaism -- Wales -- Swansea -- Liturgy. Judai¨sme -- Judai¨sme -- Liturgie -- Textes. Juifs -- Pays de Galles -- Synagogues (E´difices) OCLC: 1118589950. OCLC lists 3 copies world wide (Nat Lib Wales, Swansea U, JTSA). Bit of edgewear to top margin of rear cover, otherwise Very Good Condition. A Very Nice Copy. (BR-12-15).