New York: Dzshoint distribyushon komite [Joint], 1941. Item #42465
1st edition. Original printed paper wrappers, 8vo, 49 pages ; 22 cm. In Yiddish. Title translates as, “Help for Jews on the Other Side of the Sea: Report of the 'Joint' For The Year 1940 and the First Five Months of the Year 1941. “JDC [Joint Distribution Committee] efforts were instrumental in assisting at least 190,000 Jews to leave Germany between 1933 and 1939; 80,000 were able to leave Europe altogether with JDC assistance. The JDC supported various refugee resettlement efforts in Latin America, including the Jewish colony in Sosúa, Dominican Republic, and a colony in Bolivia. JDC funds were also instrumental in funding a relief program for 20,000 German and Austrian Jewish refugees in Shanghai, China. Nine months after the Germans invaded Poland to initiate World War II, the JDC was compelled to close its offices in Paris in the wake of the German advance in 1940 and reopen in Lisbon, Portugal. In 1939, the JDC boosted its fundraising potential for rescue by joining with the United Palestine Appeal and the National Coordinating Committee for Aid to Refugees to create the United Jewish Appeal (UJA)....between 1939 and 1945, it raised more than 70 million dollars…for refugee aid. Until the United States entered the war in December 1941, the JDC sent food and money by various means to Poland, Lithuania, and other German-occupied countries. The JDC supplied money to support imperiled Jews throughout Europe—including those trapped in ghettos in German-occupied Poland. It funded orphanages, children's centers, schools, hospitals, housing committees, public kitchens, and various cultural institutions. Even after the United States entered the war against Germany, the JDC, though no longer legally permitted to operate inside German-occupied territory, continued to funnel clandestine funds into ghettos in Poland via its office in Switzerland, headed by Saly Mayer. Mayer had contact with individuals in Switzerland—including officials of the International Red Cross—who in turn had links to Polish underground organizations. The JDC was also a significant contributor to the operations of the US War Refugee Board (WRB) after its creation in January 1944. Made available through neutral legations, JDC funds facilitated the rescue of Jews residing in Budapest and assisted in the support of Romanian Jews during the last years of Marshal Ion Antonescu's rule. JDC funds also supported children's shelters under international protection in Budapest and partially financed the rescue operations of neutral diplomats such as Raoul Wallenberg and Carl Lutz. The JDC also sent thousands of relief packages to Jewish refugees in the Soviet Union. The JDC provided material support and facilitated the emigration of refugees who had escaped to neutral countries including Portugal and Turkey or who had found refuge in other Axis countries, including Vichy France and Japan. Between 1939 and 1944, JDC officials helped 81,000 European Jews to find asylum through emigration to various parts of the world” (USHMM Holocaust Encyclopedia). SUBJECT(S): World War, 1939-1945 -- Jews. -- Civilian relief. -- United States -- Charities. Guerre mondiale, 1939-1945 -- Juifs. -- Secours aux civils. -- E´tats-Unis -- Œuvres de bienfaisance. OCLC: 319714252. OCLC lists only 3 copies worldwide (Brandeis, NYBC, NLI), none in the US outside Massachusetts. Very light wear to wrappers, Very Good Condition. Rare and important. (Holo2-160-40).