Item 266575. HAGADAH SHEL PESAH [KIBBUTZ HAGADA. PESAH PESSACH PESAKH PASSOVER HAGGADAH]

HAGADAH SHEL PESAH [KIBBUTZ HAGADA. PESAH PESSACH PESAKH PASSOVER HAGGADAH] הגדה של פסח

[Merhavyah?]: Va’adat ha-Hagim shel ha-K. ha-a. "ha-shomer ha-tsaiir" 1945. Item #42659

3rd Annual Printing (identified on rear cover. 1st is 1943) Original Green Illustrated Paper Wrappers, 8vo, 32 pages. All text in hand-caligraphy. Original illustrations on every page. In Hebrew. Title translates as, “Hagadah for Passover.”
Published for Passover 1945, just as the war in Europe and the Holocaust were drawing to a close. The text of 'Ma Nishtanah" refers to the recent events of the Holocaust: "What has changed this night of all nights...is that the cry of the children of Israel rises from the lands of their exile..."
It continues, "One great house of slavery was the land and continent of one slaying the scattered of Israel because terror came to the gates of our house and at our doorway at Passover.."
It also includes an interesting passage about the partisans: "In the darkness of cellars and thickets of forests we taught our hands to take up arms, kill our enemies... and rejoice over all the evil we killed, over every wrecked carriage and over every destroyed train...."
Includes a moving Nizkor page for victims of the Holocaust, for “the many souls of our brothers and sisters who were cut down without a trace, who fell in the fields, and whose homes were bombed and destroyed in the cities, who died with hunger and thirst in the siege and in the abyss…We will beacons of light from the tops of the mountains!” Includes bibliographical references on the back cover.
See page by page images from the UToronto copy at https://archive.org/details/druck00090/page/n35/mode/2up .
“Moshav Merhavia was established in 1911, under Ottoman rule. The kibbutz was established in 1929 adjacent to the moshav, from which it took its name. The founders of the kibbutz were members of Hashomer Hatzair who had immigrated from Galicia after World War I and had been living in Haifa, including Eliezer Peri, who later represented Mapam in the Knesset.....The Hashomer Hatzair Workers Party of Palestine was a Marxist-Zionist political party in the British Mandate of Palestine, connected to the Hashomer Hatzair movement.
At the time of its foundation, in 1946, the party had around 10,000 members, two-thirds of whom hailed from the Kibbutz Artzi movement. The remainder came from the urban-based Socialist League of Palestine….The Hashomer Hatzair movement had positioned itself politically between the moderate mainstream Mapai and the radical communists since the 1920s” (Wikipedia).
"No group… has taken the reinterpretation of the traditional Haggadah more seriously than the kibbutz movement, which over the years has produced an estimated 1,000 different versions. Taken together, these Haggadot offer a fascinating perspective on the still evolving social movement. Of all Jewish texts, the Haggadah had special significance for the early kibbutz pioneers because it dealt with concepts important to their ideology: national freedom and socialist ideals… The staggering number of kibbutz Haggadot can be attributed to the fact that few were actually printed; most were simply stenciled in small numbers to be used in a particular year by a particular kibbutz. It was only later that official kibbutz federations published [a] standard version" (Carol Novis, in The Forward).
SUBJECT(S): Kibbutz haggadot. Secular haggadot. OCLC: 19199387 (for an unpaginated variant). OCLC lists 6 copies of printings from the period (JTSA, LOC, Brandeis, Harvard, Duke, Ohio State); We also located holdings at UToronto. Binding error: This copy includes 2 copies of leaves 3-4 and 29-30 (those pages are duplicated). Small owner’s stamp on cover and first page, edges of covers toned, very light shelf wear. Very Good Condition. A Beautiful Copy of this Moving early Holocaust-era hagadah. HAG-26-2K-VV+).

Sold