47 Dartmouth St. Springfield, MA 01109
ph: 413.846.6357 e-fax: 208.567.8926
We Find Good Homes for Nice Jewish Books
IMPORTANT JEWISH & RELIGIOUS HISTORY REFERENCE SETS & PERIODICALS: PART II
Dear Friends & Colleagues,
This list is a follow-up to our recent list of reference works; many of you told us that your libraries needed more of this particular kind of material and the result is below.
This original list, online at http://www.danwymanbooks.com/reference.htm, includes some material which is still available.
As always, on any list from us, all items listed
are 100% returnable for any reason. Domestic postage is usually $4.00 for the
first volume and $1.00 for each thereafter. International shipping is usually
$9.00 for the first volume and $5.00 for each thereafter, depending on size. All
items are offered subject to prior sale, first come, first served.
We accept payment by check in US funds, major credit card, or www.paypal.com. We will also gladly invoice your institution. If you are ordering via fax, please confirm with a call or e-mail.
You can also always use our on-line search engine to browse the more than 2500 titles we have listed on line at www.DanWymanBooks.com, where you will also find other lists of unusual Judaica titles.
PLEASE ALSO LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE OUR MONTHLY LISTS OF OUT OF PRINT JUDAICA TITLES by emailing us at [email protected].
And feel free to forward this list to other colleagues who may be interested.
WE URGENTLY NEED YOUR QUALITY JUDAICA DUPLICATES FOR CASH OR TRADE. We make housecalls in the Northeast, and we pay for all shipping when we can't come to you.
We appreciate your continued business and look forward to your next order.
1. DER MORGEN MONATSSCHRIFT DER DEUTSCHEN JUDEN. Vols, 1-14 (1925-1938), complete. Berlin, Philo Verlag, 1925-1934. Amsterdam 1934-1938. Cloth, 8vo. Monthly/Bi-monthly German Jewish cultural-political journal with original essays and articles by Kafka, Rosenzweig, Selma Stern, Thomas Mann, Joseph Roth, Leo Baeck, Margarete Susman, Ludwig Feuchtwanger, Martin Buber, Berta Pappenheim, Gerschom Scholem, Aldred Wiener, Ismar Elbogen, etc. A beautiful set, all in the original matching publisher’s cloth--(except for the final volume 14 which barely made it to press before the publisher was shut down but is included here in the original non-matching publisher’s cloth. An excellent set of this important periodical. $1700.00
2. Gibbon, Edward, Esq. THE HISTORY OF THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. Complete in 12 volumes. London: Printed Cadell and Davies et al., 1820. A New Edition. Full leather, 8vo. Includes Frontispiece and Maps (including fold-out). Classic work on the History of the Mediterranean world from the death of Marcus Aurelius to the fall of Constantinople. Includes bibliographical references and general index in vol. 12. OCLC lists only 1 set of this edition worldwide. Carter/Muir 410. "Masterpiece of historical penetration and literary style", PMM 222. SUBJECT(S): Rome -- History -- Empire, 30 B.C.-476 A.D. Byzantine Empire -- History. 12 volumes in matching antique full leather, ruled, lettered and decorated in gilt. 1 hinge repaired, bindings remain solid. Spines, however, are heavily chipped, but still attractive. A Good set. $600.00
3. Goldschmidt, Lazarus, editor. DER BABYLONISCHE TALMUD. Complete in 12 VOLUMES. Berlin, Jüdischer Verlag, 1930-1936. Cloth, Small 8vo, ca. 9000 pages. Neu Übertragen. In German, with bound-in silk bookmarks. An absolutely stellar set of this classic, often damaged because of high page-count and heavy use. This set even includes a promotional flyer from its publishers. All Very Good+ Condition. Beautiful. $750.00
4. Gunkel, Hermann; Zscharnack, Leopold; Editors. In collaboration with Alfred Bertholet, Hermann Faber, and Horst Stephan. RELIGION IN GESCHICHTE UND GEGENWART: HANDWÖRTERBUCH FÜR THEOLOGIE UND RELIGIONSWISSENSCHAFT. Complete in 6 volumes (5 content volumes plus index volume). Tübingen, Verlag von J. C. B. Mohr (Siebeck), 1927-1931. 2nd Revised & enlarged Edition, 1st printing. Half-Leather, 4to (28 x 20 x 35cm), over 6000 pages. First published 1909-1913 under the general editorship of Friedrich Michael Schiele. Printed double-column format. Pagination: x, 1026, 2; viii 1034, 2; xi, 1, 1088; viii, 1092; xii, 1079, 1; 896. Plates: 8, 2, 40, 2, 2. Includes the scarce index volume. Paginated by columns. Black leather-backed brown cloth-covered boards with gilt-stamped spines and gilt front cover device to each volume. Leo Baeck was an important contributor to this work; This set comes from his family and may well have been his own set. 31 pounds = 14 kg. SUBJECT(S): Religion -- Dictionaries. 2 volumes have repairs to spine, otherwise Good+ Condition. A very nice set. $300.00
5. Herbermann Charles, editor. THE CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA AN INTERNATIONAL WORK OF REFERENCE ON THE CONSTITUTION DOCTRINE DISCIPLINE AND HISTORY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. 15 volumes plus Index (vol. 16) & Suppliment (17 vols. Total). New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1907 (Suppliment is New York, Gilmary Society, No Date (1922?). Half-Leather, 4to. Each volume is about 2-1/2 to 3 inches thick. Complete sets in good condition are increasingly scarce, especially with the supplement volume present. SUBJECT(S): Theology -- Dictionaries. Encyclopedias. Named Corp: Catholic Church -- Dictionaries. This set of 17 books weighs about 135 lbs. 12 volumes are in Very Good Condition, 5 volumes have a repaired hinge but are otherwise Good Condition or better. $600.00
6. Hyman, Paula E. and Moore, Deborah Dash, editors. JEWISH WOMEN IN AMERICA: AN HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA : COMPLETE IN TWO VOLUMES. New York, Routledge, 1997. Cloth, Large 8vo in dust jacket, xxxii, 1770 pages. Includes many black & white photos, as well as an annotated bibliography and guide to archival sources, notes on editors and contributors, classified list of biographical entries, and an index. In her review in the Library Journal, librarian Mary F. Salony writes: "Hyman (modern Jewish history, Yale) and Moore (history, Vassar) have put together a primarily biographical encyclopedia of American Jewish women. Their book contains 800 entries on women from all fields who lived from 1654 (when the first Jewish woman arrived in America) to the present and 110 topical essays about various organizations and subjects ranging from education to politics to the arts. Each biographical entry includes both an essay and a bibliography. In addition, the book has an alphabetical listing of entries, a classified list of biographical entries by type (activists, lawyers, nurses, etc.), a helpful annotated bibliography of archival resources, and an in-depth index. While various books on the American Jewish woman are currently available (e.g., The Journey Home: Jewish Women and the American Century, LJ 4/1/97; Celebrating the Lives of Jewish Women, LJ 1/98), this one provides a good biographical and encyclopedic reference approach to the subject and is an excellent biographical source. Recommended for larger libraries as a complement to women's studies, Jewish history, biography, and American history collections." Fine condition in original shrinkwrap. (ID# 13587) Amazon lists it new for Three Hundred Fifty Dollars. Our price is $175.00
7. Landman, Isaac, Ed. THE UNIVERSAL JEWISH ENCYCLOPEDIA IN TEN VOLUMES: AN THE UNIVERSAL JEWISH ENCYCLOPEDIA IN TEN VOLUMES. AN AUTHORITATIVE AND POPULAR PRESENTATION OF JEWS AND JUDAISM SINCE THE EARLIEST TIMES. Complete in 10 volumes, plus the elusive Index volume. New York The Universal Jewish Encyclopedia 1942. Cloth, 4to (large) ; over 2000 pages;. Shunami # 10. "More than 10, 000 articles....The major part of the encyclopedia has been devoted, naturally, to modern Jewish Life. " Dated, certainly, but an excellent source for information on Jewish life in the first half of the 20th Century. Some volumes are ex-library with usual marks. A good set. $250.00